Pardew Reacts To Comment – It’s A Bit Strong Coming From Him

Alan Pardew has been interviewed in the Independent today, and he has hit back a little at Graeme Souness’ comments on the BBC, after Pardew’s head butt against Hull’s Davide Meyler on Saturday.

eme souness

Graeme Souness – former Newcastle manager

It seems Alan Shearer and Graeme Souness had a field day after the game, with Shearer demanding the manager be fired or resign, and Souness saying his actions were simply untenable.

Of course it’s not the first time Alan Pardew has been involved in altercations on the sideline.

Once altercation was when he was at West Ham and confronted Arsene Wenger, and while at Newcastle he;s had altercations with Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill, Manchester City Manuel Pellegrini, and he also pushed linesman Peter Kirkup in August of last season.

When Alan heard about the comment form Souness – this is what he had to say:

“It’s a bit strong coming from him. He’s the man who took a flag and planted it in the middle of an Istanbul derby.” “But people have their own opinions, I can’t do anything about that.”

“When I had the push with the linesman, I thought that perhaps I should sit down,” “I’ve always been involved by being on the sideline but I don’t think it can harm my management to sit down, and maybe I’m at an age now where perhaps I need to.”

Hull City manager Steve Bruce defended Meyler by saying at least he didn’t roll  around on the floor after the head butt like some players would have done.

And today’s players seem to practice this stuff in training –  it looks so real – and in the olden days when players were fouled or shoulder charged to the ground – they simply got up and carried on with the game – but those days of complete honesty are gone forever.

Steve Bruce was probably better served not to have said anything about the incident, and not have defended his player,  who was hardly innocent in the altercation.

Meyler did push Pardew a couple of times which caused Alan’s  reaction, which will now cost Newcastle – and it’s another self-inflicted wound.

We should know today what punishment Alan will be receiving from the Football Association – and that will then become the big headline news of the day. 🙁

Should Alan Pardew Be Fired For His Behavior At Hull?

• No (76%, 3,167 Votes)
  • Yes (24%, 980 Votes)

Total Voters: 4,147

Loading ... Loading ...

How did we do on Saturday again?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 on us on Google+

• Markaccus

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM

There are certain people in football who should just keep quiet about stuff like this. Mr souness is one. I am sure the owners of moral high ground have a restraining order on people like him 😀

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Lilo
    Yeah don’t think he could argue having say an equal suspended sentence say 5 games served now with a 5 match ban hanging over him

Also not understanding the amount of criticism he’s getting for standing where he was!
    It’s his bloody technical area he can stand where the hell he likes!
    Every other manager does! Mourinho walked onto the pitch a couple of games back to shout instructions
    If they have an issue with that then they need to re think the set up of the technical areas

The performance was superb, really was
    He had the team selection and tactics spot on, we frustrated a team 4th in the form table, heavily limited there chances which they have creating at will recently and broke on the counter superbly

Everyone on the pitch for the first time in months looked like they wanted to be there and gave 100%
    Not a single player looked like they were lagging, they all knew each other’s role and the whole thing just clicked
    I think we have a pretty decent run in to be honest and can see Everton and Manure dropping a few points, we have to maintain the pressure and make sure we pick up points when we play both teams

And fully agree with Pardew here, souness was an idiot
    The man was restrained by a policeman to stop him going for an official ffs

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Lilongwe

You miss my point. I’m not comparing the guy on the pitch with pardew leaving his technical area. I’m comparing Pardew’s sticking his brow into a players face with a guy handing his season ticket to pardew. Both were in places they had no right to be. One gets a criminal record and the other gets dealt with in a more gentlemanly way. That’s not how our justice system should operate.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM

NUFC loyalists say pardews “head butt” was simply a shove. However, if the same thing happened in a supermarket, he would have been arrested. The kc stadium is not a criminal sanctuary or hallowed ground.

• martoon

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Sorry Ed, I can’t agree about Steve Bruce – I thought he could have made a meal of it but he accepted Pardew’s apology and moved on. What he said about Meyler was true – Bruce went up in my estimation he showed a bit of class.

• spitfire_

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM

“Perhaps”? He is not even shure that he’s wrong… what a plonker.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

In truth having the calibre of Souness and Pardew to manage us after the likes of SBR is terrible.

• Laurent Robert 32

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Souness is known as a hot head, but even he hasn’t pushed a linesman or planted his head in another player’s face.

Puts it into context a bit.

The push should have been left as it was and the player then looks distasteful. Thick head had no business making the situation worse by actively chasing him putting his forehead into Meylers face. Idiot. A collision push does not warrant putting your head in another man’s face.

If there was no intent to harm, his head doesn’t need to be thrust forward.

Shameful from a manager.

I wonder if Cabaye was getting the ball (he’s even pushed that kid) and it was Di Canio in the derby doing the head in the face action just how many would change your stance. Quite a few I would say.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM

“Meyler did push Pardew a couple of times which caused Alan’s reaction, which will now cost Newcastle – and it’s another self-inflicted wound.”

Glad you noticed in this thread

• Laurent Robert 32

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM

It has also given a clear indication that the long contract isn’t the only thing stopping Ashley getting rid of Pardew.

This is the perfect loop hole for him to get round the contract.

That isn’t the case, so Pardew’s puppetry is even more nailed on now. I doubt Ashley will be livid. Probably the other way round because that SD logo will be getting even more advertising.

Isn’t the phrase something like there’s no such thing as bad publicity?

• Oleg G

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM

spitfire_ // Mar 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM

He is sure. It is just how he talks. Chill.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Tads

I don’t think it’s Saturday taken in isolation, I think it’s a totting up of this and all his previous demeanours. He recently said how sorry he was for another incident and then pulls another stunt like this, ironically on one of the few occasions we’ve played really well this season.

Also Ash gets a bad rap most of the time but we had 4 current french internationals, 3 Dutch ones and an Ivorian on Saturday, with no sight of Cisse, Ben Arfa, Colo, Marveaux etc

• MrMojoRisin76

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Don’t f’@ck with “Red” Alan.

• MrMojoRisin76

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Maybe Meyler stole Pardew’s lucky half-time sandwich out of the fridge.We just don’t know.

• catchy in norway

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM

toonarmydownsouth

in pardews position, THE MANAGER. there is no excuse for his behaviour, he came out not long ago and said that remy was stupid,

isn’t he meant to set an example ?

he pushed the linesman and was warned about his future conduct, he ranted at pellegrini , got a warning for that,

how many warnings should the guy get ?

I don’t like the football under him, I don’t like what he says most of the time, contradicting himself all the time, and I don’t like how he represents the club,

its just wrong

I feel no matter what he does, the same guys stick up for him like he is a god

• bobby mango

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I don’t think Shearer was demanding he resign. He was saying it may be impossible for him to continue and might have to resign. He’s just pointing out the position and I kind of agree with him… Although the whole has been blown out of proportion, the reactions of pundits like Shesrer and Souness are adding to that.

• stuart no9

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM

souness is 100% right. what is pardews argument? GS got a flag and stuck it in the centre circle hahaha. now excuse me for being a bit naive here but , putting a corner flag in the centre circle and headbutting a player just coz hes trying to get the ball so he can carry on with the game , got in common ?? talk about clutching at straws ! haha

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I’ve phoned humberside police. The press office have said they’ve had a number of enquiries from the media about possible police action.

I really think partisan NUFC fans have got this wrong. There are bigger questions completely unrelated to football here.

• toon kk

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Pardew is a good manager for the club he takes all the crap Mash throws at him.
    Although what he did was wrong he went up in my estimations, he showed passion. It wasn’t a headbutt it was a forward nudge.
    No other manager would get us much further up the league with our current squad.

• geordiemark

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I still think pardew should be sacked put it this way Ashley has the best opportunity hes had in sacking pardew and not paying compensation, I do think the FA should look at what the hull city player done to kick start all this off though fair enough he was booked but if the FA throw the book at pardew then rightly so the hull city player should be banned and fined as well

• djchrisanders

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Thought Bruce handled it very well when asked about the incident – Pardew isn’t the sharpest tool to be fair and he reacted like a child but the media response is all a little silly too.

• phatt knacker

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Souness planting the flag was as dangerouse as having a bath of gasoline and playing with matches!!!
    Pardew was wrong and if he connected properly he would be looking at jail not a ban and fine

it wasnt a head but, the action was used to almost start a fight. Heres my face in yours do you want to punch it???

still way to poor for a newcastle manager!!

Pardew in my eyes has never been worthy to be newcastle manager

But its not worthy to sack him over this.

If pardew had tumbled after being pushed by meyler how long would meyler expect to be banned?????

• Sav

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM

If Meyler behaved impeccably, then Bruce will try to appeal his yellow card?
    Not trying to diminish Pardew’s culpability but his best defence seems to be that the ref has seen the incident and deemed the player guilty of provocation with the shove. No doubt there are many who would like the book thrown because it is Pardew or because it is Newcastle but that is now a major obstacle to the FA. Had Meyler not received a card or the ref not seen it, it would be much worse. Ironically, the McManaman judgement after his tackle on Haidara went unpunished could work against Padew here.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Regarding post 18. If anyone is guilty of a civil crime it is the Hull player, who clearly and forcefully physically assaulted the Newcastle manager with his push. Pardew reacted in a provocative manner, but there is no clear vision to suggest his action was as forceful as that of the Hull player. Good luck to the Humber-side police if they want to charge Pardew.

• The overrated Frenchman

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Blackley and Brownlie, did you get the name of the Humberside police spokesperson with whom you had the conversation?

• Whumpie

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I’m already sick of this. It’s the hypocrisy of it all. This is a game riven with cheating, violence, corruption and unprofessionalism from top to bottom, so to distract from all of that they go bloody biblical on someone who – albeit very stupidly – did something with comparitively feck-all impact on anyone.

Cheat to steal a game? Fine. Try to break someone’s knee? Three match ban and no more said.

Handbags on the touchline when a 52-year-old reacts to a player shoving him forcefully… twice…?

String him up. Make an example of him.

Sure, he’ll be an example. Of how this bloody pathetic game punishes the trivial but supports the very worst.

Pissed off with it all.

• Malta Mag

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Lots of comparisons on here with the great Sir Bobby Robson but is that the same great Sir Bobby Robson who was hounded out of his job? The same great Sir Bobby Robson who was once described as “unsackable?” The same great Sir Bobby Robson who many said had lost the dressing room and had to go? The shame I feel when I think.
    Those anti Pardew fans have been calling him worse than S### since he came because he didn’t stand up for himself yet now he stands up to an unprovoked attack and gets slaughtered??
    I do think Pardew has to take a good look at himself and do something drastic because he certainly has some issues but he deserves more support than he gets from a large group of fans on here.
    Put things into context and move on? Yes he should be fined and banned but it’s not a murdering offence!!
    As for the likes of Souness, Savage and dare I say it Shearer having their half penneth, well I think they’d better wind their necks in. Incidentally I thought Pardew’s response to Souness’s comments was in fact spot on!!!! Lest he never forget that and I have Turkish friends that tell me the effect that gesture had on the night and the hatred to this day that still lingers towards him.