The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Add Goals And This Player Becomes An Awesome Powerhouse

1:18 pm, Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 34 Comments

Moussa Sissoko had an excellent game on Saturday, and he was easily our Man of the Match with 43% of the vote,  and he added to his goals tally at Newcastle on Saturday with two very good goals.

moussa sissoko goal hull with remy

Moussa Sissoko congratulated by Remy after scoring Newcastle’s third goal

Moussa scored two goals in only his second game for Newcastle against Chelsea at St. James’ Park a year ago, in what turned out to be a fantastic 3-2 win for the home side.

After Newcastle were 2-1 behind with just 25 minutes to go, Moussa scored two sensational goals, with the winner coming after 90 minutes – and that was two goals in his first two games for the Magpies – and he also scored against Southampton so that was three goals in his first four games for Newcastle.

Take a look at the highlights of that game –  and no the commentator did not have a heart attack – it’s six minutes but believe me, you’ll feel a lot better after watching this.

That first goal against Chelsea for Sissoko was like his second on Saturday,  when the goalkeeper could only parry a shot from the great Yoan Gouffran.

But since that time, the 6’2″ French International – who is also built like a tank – has only scored three more goals, and two of those last Saturday, with the first one being simply fantastic.

And his only other goal this season was that blockbuster against West Brom in the 2-1 win,  when he rocketed the ball into the back of the net from outside the penalty area – so when Moussa does score they are often excellent goals.

Take a look at that goal again.

Is that a great goal or is that a great goal?

Ever since the 6’2″ colossus arrived just over a year ago, he has started games for Newcastle, and he’s the only player this season who has started every Premier League game, which also says something good about his injury record.

If Alan Pardew can get him somehow to add goals to his game, then this player will become simply awesome for Newcastle United – he’s already pretty good now.

For completeness here are the highlights of Saturday’s great win.

For the record, Moussa has 49 appearances so far for Newcastle,  with six goals and 11 assists – not too bad for just £2M.

What do you think?

Note: James Sands is a long time reader of the blog, and he is running the Brighton marathon on April 9th on behalf of the Stroke Association – James’ target is £750 in donations, which can be made here – please help if you can.

Tags: Coaching · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League

34 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Mar 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I don’t know if anyone saw the programme last night about racism and homophobia at football grounds. The Dspatches team went under cover and filmed racism and homophobic chants and the lack of action by club stewards and the cops.
    The FA tried to worm their way out of not doing their jobs.
    Clubs appear not to be implementing rules as well.
    This is yet another example of the FA ineptitude. They allow players to get away with disgraceful behaviour every weekend in the league games -mobbing the refs, foul mouthed abuse etc etc. They should have demanded higher standard years ago. We arrive in this era where we do not bat an eyelid at shocking behvious which should not be part of sport.
    The FA will flex their wings -and hammer the hapless Percy to show they are strong. Good for the southern based press attack dogs who hate the Toon anyway.
    The two clubs highlighted in the programme last night as serial offenders were Milwall and West Ham. Brooking is an ex Hammer and holds a senior position at the FA. Percy once succeeded Brooking at West Ham as manager. I’m sure Brooking will hold no grudges and not influence his colleagues to well and truly shaft Percy.
    Expect no favours.

• 2 toon1707 // Mar 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

He can become a huge player for us just needs a lot more consistency still not convinced right wing is his best position though

• 3 Transfer Sage // Mar 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Tuff

That’s a much bigger issue, as me and TDS discussed the other day, it’s a disgrace players are allowed to mob the ref the way they do, should be an instant booking for shouting at the ref or refusing to go away when he tells you do…it’s a poor excuse from players/clubs/the FA that it’s impossible to prevent this….once a few get 2 yellows for shouting and are sent off it will soon stop.

As for the rest of the racist’homophobic chanting…it’s awful and thankfully it’s limited to a low % of people these days. Think stewards should do more (if they have the support) and if clubs are persistently in trouble for it they should be forced to have independent stewards from the FA to police the situation.

(Just my view, might be wrong, is that unless it’s on a large scale clubs will be seen to do very little as even by doing the right thing and banning/remove people from the ground the club will get bad press for those fan’s behaviour)

• 4 70TWO // Mar 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Talking of TV programmes, I would recommend last weeks Horizon available until tomorrow midnight.

Very insightful about the lazy logical part of the brain being over-ridden by impulsive intuition.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Mar 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

70two

I caught that, very very good explaining people more willing to take a risk to prevent a loss than take a risk to get a win….even explaining it goes all the way to monkeys we evolved from.

• 6 Whumpie // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Great to see Moussa getting back on the score sheet; I’m not sure quite why it’s happened so infrequently. Perhaps the formation based around Cabs was limiting his play?

The best thing about Saturday was that it showed Pards and the team have been able to find a new way of playing that works without Cabs. It’s taken a while – and of course it had to include the sodding derby – but with players back, things looked much, much better.

Sissoko is a big part of that new formation and seemed to revel in it. I’m much happier with play revolving around him and Goofs; two of our most reliable performers. For a while I thought we’d have to rely on Benny, which would mean three bad results for every (very) good one.

We certainly need to rebuild, but Saturday reminded me of a lot of up-sides that had become hidden in all the miserable results. Debuchy – brilliant. Dummet – future star; my choice ahead of Santon, and very versatile. Willo – get him to Brazil! Goofs – creative, fast, accurate and fearless. Sissoko – shithouse with shootin’ boots. Anita – finally starting to shine now he’s out of Cab’s shadow. And Tiote… well, he’s Tiote :)

Reasons to be cheerful… 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 :)

• 7 SuperShearer // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

If you guys want a refreshing take on he AP incident listen to The Guardian Football Weekly Podcast. 3 Sunderland associated pundits all agree that while what he did was out of order the media have overblown it hugely.

• 8 Thump // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM

@TS: That’s why referees need to take a tip from this bloke. Amazing to see the respect that Rugby players often have for their referees, whereas in football they’re almost lambasted for doing a bloody difficult job (from everybody – who would be a referee?)

• 9 cyprus // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Sisso is a very good player: hard to lose the ball, can make surging runs and now maybe, score. It’s obvious opponents hate to deal with him. Same goes with Tiote, Debs and Remy.
    On racism etc. sports have really helped, not hindered. It’s hard to be nasty with your favourite player just because of the colour of his skin.

• 10 70TWO // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Continuation from @4

Which also relates to Sissoko because intuition based upon the physical build and success of Yaya Toure, plus his position at previous club tells us that Sissoko should be playing in midfield. However, with the application of logic and analysis of maligned stats he plays much better on the wing, individually and for the benefit of the team.

• 11 Transfer Sage // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM

thump

Brilliant. Its right though, the ref is not their to be abused and if sunday league players carried on the way prem league players do they’d get a straight red.

A simple solution…for every player banned for dissent the club captain and manager gets an equal ban given to them, will soon stop.

• 12 cyprus // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I’d like to see more of Ameobi too (the other one). He looks like he could become a player if given a run.

And I haven’t given up on THE master.

And, a thought: A change of 3 players at the same time (e.g. see SBR) would really shock opposition.

• 13 70TWO // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

“first team to be established on the continent” and lots of other info and commentary that highlights the ‘love of the game’.

• 14 Mister Tuff // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM

NEWSFLASH.
    It is now been reported that the press have employed lip readers to determine the conversation between Percy and Meyler.
    Ball goes out of field of play for a throw. Meyler runs to retrieve ball and Percy is in the way.
    Meyler: ” Gid oot the way ya old C**t”.
    Percy: “Who are you calling an old c**t. You young c**t
    get some of this”.
    Splat Percy lays the nut on.
    Melee ensues.

• 15 Graeme // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

TS @ 11

It is even more simple than that. The referee has all the powers that he needs to stop the abuse; unfortunately they elect not to use it.

If, on the first day of next season, the referee calls both Managers & Captains to his room and tells them quite up-front that the first player to tell him to eff off; cast doubts on his parentage, use ANY foul or abusive language towards him or his Assistants will be booked, without question.
    The second player to do so will be given a straight red card.

On the first weekend there will probably be 6-8 Red Cards and the message is driven home. The second weekend there will be 2 or 3 Red Cards; the third weekend there will be none for Foul or Abusive Language. It would stop within the first month of the season.

It really is as simple as that.

• 16 70TWO // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

cyprus

If Pardew is going to experiment with the side, symbiotically through Carver, I would also like to see Sammy given more of a run out. Perhaps after a win (or loss) has been secured the following could be given a go (not collectively):
    Sammy left wing / left midfield
    Gouffran central attacking midfield / #10
    Santon right wing / right midfield
    Haidarra left back
    Dummett central defence
    Gosling central attacking midfield
    Sissoko central midfield(!) / right midfield

There are still plenty of questions to be answered in the squad, but for the other players I not on the above list I would suggest their time is up under Pardew.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Mar 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

graeme

100% agree that is what would happen, the problem is though the refs must not be able to use this power (or at least 1 of them would do).

I am guessing it’s an FA or FIFA idea not to be too strict as players sent off ruins the game and cuts out drama which gets more bums on seats, more tv deals and more sponsorship for them.

• 18 70TWO // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I was wondering this morning where NUFC would be in a league table of players wages. Although a true comparison would probably have to take in to account the clubs income, which in our case is not at its true potential. Does such a table exist?

My question is prompted by Liverpools latest figures for 2012-13, players wage bill £132m, representing 64% (similar to NUFC?) of £206M turnover. Villas turnover is £83.7M for the same season but players wages have not been published.

• 19 lew // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Imagine having Cabella on the left, Arfa in the middle and Sissoko on the right! It’s mouth watering.
    I do think Cisse would find the net in front of them! What do you think? :)

• 20 Thump // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

@cyprus: It’s hard to be nasty with your favourite player just because of the colour of his skin.

Spot on. Look at how it was in the early 80s when Chelsea signed Canoville; the fans couldn’t bloody stand him because he was black and now look at their lineup. It’s fascinating to see how far fans have come.

In fact, fans stopped beating the shit out of each other around the same time… hm, there might be something in this.

• 21 tequilamag // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM

70TWO this might help

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Mr Tuff

I see you managed eventually to get the data protection act in where it is relevant.

I can’t understand why you brought it in where it wasn’t relevant and then when I asked you to explain why you have, you blame me for not doing my research. Why would I research an Act when I can’t see its relevance? You also assume I know nothing about it and only you could possibly have had a working experience of it.

The way you write, you have to be a cop. I’m just surprised you don’t finish every contribution with “This post is human rights compliant”.

As for Mr Barrett, that is the very point I’m making. It is an outrageous injustice that ordinary people are treated differently. I have no doubt that lots of people up and down the country have been successfully prosecuted by the police for the same and similar behaviour as Pardew’s. To someone without a criminal record getting one is extremely serious.

• 23 tequilamag // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Blackley if the player does not want to prosecute and he is the supposed injured party then why is it even an issue to you ?

• 24 Whumpie // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Gutted that we have such a long break to the next match. Need something to talk about other than “Wor Nutter’s Nut”…

Bloody hell we played well on Sat. Cracking work lads.

• 25 mag // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

The Guardian crowd seem to be getting themselves in a lather about how nasty football is and that the FA should be locking players up and throwing the key away.

• 26 cyprus // Mar 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

70 two,
    I think we are about the same as our PL position regarding wages. Interesting those ‘experiments’ with player positions. And, surely, HBA can still do his thing…

Thump, you are right of course. Things have drastically improved, though there is room for improvement.

Now, regarding head butting … :)

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Tuesday 25th March re-arranged Everton game

• 28 Oldgit1 // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Back to the article and away from the head butting which quite frankly am becoming very bored.

It’s a shame Moussa cannot head the ball esp with his height, perhaps he should take a leaf out of the mighty Wynn who trained with leaded boots which he used to strengthened his legs and enabled him to jump from a sanding position.

• 29 Mister Tuff // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Blackley -there you go again -you’re like the yappy dog that wants to get the last bark in, normally I would give it a swift boot up the jacksie to bring things back to reality. You also make erroneous assumptions, again and again and again.
    Because you cannot see the relevance of the DPA -does not mean that it is irrelevant – I cannot do anything about that but try to indicate to you that it is. I know the DPA backwards if you did you would understand the point. I do not assume you know nothing about it, but I would say because of your position I have to assess that as you do not grasp the relevance of what I have posted you cannot have a comprehensive understanding of it.
    How you assume that I assume I am the only one with a working understanding of it -really is baffling -I can only indicate to you my experience which does not denegrate anothers’ experiences.
    The relevance was to indicate to you that the FA would not be privvy to the Cops decision making process and would have no part in it. Doing so would be a breach of the areas I indicated -Human Rights/Confidentiality/Data Protection. You can accept that or otherwise.
    Your other assumption about my employment is also ……………………………………………..WRONG.
    If you kept up to speed on what is happening on the blog you would be aware of the nature of my employment over recent years. What I would let you know is that a couple of years ago I wrote the Prosecution Policy for a large Public Authority and it is still in place to this day.
    I really fail to understand why you want to argue and disbelieve information I submit (and others I’ve noticed) on the blog which is submitted in good faith with honourable intentions. I try to make my posts informative -which does not suggest a lack of similar knowledge by other or as another poster often says decent posts pass the BBC test.
    Man -you need to chill -you are some angry dude.

• 30 mag // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Pardew should claim membership of the IRA, and he’ll get a pardon off the Queen along with all their mass murderers.

• 31 catchy in norway // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

transfer ,

I disagree with you on style vs points,

I think with the style of football we play, we will drop more points than we should , all because we try to contain,

there is no foundations to build on, every week is different because we react to other teams, and a lot of the time we don’t even react,

what is more gutting really, you see us play like we did v hull, we tried to attack with a few players at a time, we scored goals from shots in the box, rather than shooting from distance, and I have said all along we are poor because we don’t get into the box to shoot, and we don’t support the attacker , he is normally left to get on with things all alone

right now we should be comfortably top 6, pardew is looking to Europe, and im just not confident he is the man to lead us in the top 10

• 32 tequilamag // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Catchy if we should be comfortably top 6 as you say which squad out of Man U Man C Lpool Arsenal Spurs and Chelsea is worse than ours?

• 33 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Tequilamag

If you don’t know the answer to that question, I don’t know where to start.

It’s an issue to me because I attend SJP regularly, unlike, I would hazard a guess, the majority of people on this blog. There are serious sanctions in the criminal law for anyone misbehaving at a football match and people who attend games regularly understand what they can and can’t do and what is and is not acceptable as regards the criminal law. Nobody can use a level of violence that the circumstances would not justify.

It does not matter whether the injured party wants to press charges. As Mr Tuff agrees, Pardew’s actions met all the criteria for a public order offence. Are you not bothered that fans who do the same thing will argue in court that pardew did that and he was dealt with by the football authorities and got no criminal record? The police have missed an opportunity to make use Pardew’s behaviour as an example and now made a rod for their own back.

• 34 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM

and he’s supposed to be a central midfielder

previous post: Three In Four Fans Don’t Want Pardew Fired