Davide Santon’s Agent Pushing For A Move In The Summer

Newcastle’s defender Davide Santon has lost his left back spot to local lad Paul Dummett recently, and there’s news in Italy that he could be leaving Newcastle in the summer and return back to his home country.

davide santon liverpool

Davide Santon – could leave the club in the summer

Italian web-site Calciomercato are reporting today that Santon’s representative, Renzo Contratto has flown to England to discuss the position of his client with Newcastle.

AC Milan are the latest club who are interested in taking the 23 year-old back home, but it depends on the transfer fee Newcastle would want, that will determine if AC Milan can afford the 8 times capped Italian Intentional.

Of course a lot of this news is coming directly from Contratto, who may want a pay-day and is therefore  pushing to get his client a transfer.

Eleven months ago, Contratto was quoted in Izvestia in Russia about Zenit St Petersburg’s interest in Davide, and he said this:

“We have several times had a substantive conversation with the Russian team, which has taken an active interest in my client. But it must be understood that many European teams are interested in my client.”

“Now the player is fully focused on performances for his club, but no one knows what will happen in the summer. I do know that Newcastle are not going to release the player for less than a certain amount.”

Santon did not end up moving last summer, but ever since he’s been at the Tyneside club, there have been other clubs interested in the left-back – mostly in Italy.

When Davide arrived at Newcastle in August oi 2011 he signed a five year deal, which runs through June of 2016, and Newcastle would  demand a fee of around £10M for the Italian.

And this summer seems a more opportune time for Santon to potentially leave Newcastle, with defenders like Paul Dummett, Massadio Haidara and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa all very capable of playing at left back for Newcastle.

Newcastle paid £5M for the youngster from Inter-Milan almost three years ago, and Davide has played 91 times for Newcastle with one goal.

What do you think?

Note: James Sands is a long time reader of the blog, and he is running the Brighton marathon on April 9th on behalf of the Stroke Association – James’ target is £750 in donations, which can be made here – please help if you can.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

We don’t need him especially as we have 3 or 4 other players capable of laying in the position.

Ashley will want top “dollar” for him and if he went, I would imagine somewhere between 12 and 15 million quid would be asked

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM

If no one else comes on here soon, I am going to be forced into logging off and doing the ironing.

Please someone save me from this fate.

• jimmysmith

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM

I thought Dummett played well against Hull as he has done on most previous occasions when selected in the first team. I also like Haidarra, but of the three Santon seems the most likely to develop into a top six standard player. Then again he’s possibly the most likely to want a move at some stage, which probably points to Newcastle willing to listen to offers.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM

expatmag,
    I hear you and I’m here for the rest of the day, well the next nine and a half hours, I’ve got a question for the Champion of justice Blackley, he either doesn’t read the seldom midnight posts or he doesn’t want to answer me.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM

JIMMY

I thought Santon would have developed into a fully fledged international by now but he seems to have regressed in recent seasons.

The season we came 5th and the early part of last season, he was one of our best players but since then, he has gone backwards and seems defensively suspect and offensively limited.

If we could get anything north of 10 million quid for him, I would expect Ashley to bite their hands off.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM

JFA

My saviour.

Good to see you. How are things going in the land of the orient?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Mister Tuff,
    Good Morning,
    This is the story I refer to about Dirk Dastardly, if Blackley truly wants justiice for all then he should be campaigning for the arrest of this henious man and his boss for aiding and abetting him.

• Blofal

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM

10 mill and I would be happy.

Should play in midfield/wing not LB and won’t be able to cement a regular spot there in our team.

To be honest though I would rather loan him. He is too young to let go and he does have a lot of potential.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM

JFA

Regarding the discussion between Blackley n Tuff, I have read most of the posts and fail to understand how the info provided by TUFF could be misunderstood.

There again, there are many posters on here who fail to see what is right in front of their noses.

• jimmysmith

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Expat, I think Santon is a slightly better defender now, although still far from great and also still struggles to get on the outside of defenders and deliver a telling ball. He seems to have developed a bit of an attitude this season also. Against that he is extremely composed in possession, not unlike Collocini, and he gets himself into excellent forward positions all day long and he’s still only 22. I think he is coming along and has every chance of becoming first rate. Experience and increased body mass inevitably will help him get better, you’d think.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM

BLOFAL

I would only keep him if he recovered that form from a couple of seasons ago but we all know that Ashley’s eyes will light up with the money on offer for him

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM

expatmag,
    Good Morning, things are going well but massive delays means unfortunately this will be my last trip out for awhile and onto another adventure, as for Santon being Pardewed, there are arguments for and against, people cite Marveaux as a classic example, but the reason we got him was because he was suspect with injury and so has proved to be the case, Cisse could definitely be held against him as he has scored goals everywhere else and the way he was played out of position to pamper to Ba was nothing short of disgraceful, Cabaye didn’t do too bad as didn’t Ba, HBA is another enigma, would we have gotten such a huge talent so cheap if there wasn’t flaws, people will say how a player has been Pardewed but then delight when it doesn’t work out elsewhere.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM

JIMMY

Granted, he is good in possession but he rarely creates anything when he does get forward and his balls into the box are shocking.

Dummett is coming along nicely and provides better service into the area, better in the air and a better man marker than Santon.

I haven’t seen much of Haidara to comment..

• Mister Tuff

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:19 AM

expat/jail -morning hows things with the two of you.

SpecialK – another scintilating post by you (Not). You complain about others but contribute nothing yourself to any debate -just come on to criticise. You sir, if you forgive my tone are a tool, nay a complete tool.

Blacklie – come on now share your conversation you had with the C/Inspector about how he reached his decision on Percy -come on now tell all -I at least cannot wait.

You previously asked me what my credentials were – I indicated partially my experience and then you accuse me of bragging. I really do not know what to say you twist and corrupt everything – beats me why you come on a blog as you are only interested in your own opinion.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Apologies Mister Tuff as the above link takes you to an entirely different story as the link wasn’t complete,
    Simply Google,
    ”Derek Llambias runs naked accross SJP” and you will get the full story,
    A fan at the Man City game done exactly that and was banned for life with most likely a criminal record, I don’t recall Blackley harping on about that all week in his campaign for justice and equality.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM

JFA

interesting post regarding the various flaws and whilst I don’t necessarily agree with the term Pardewed, I can see where the could have been some sort of adverse influence.

This summer should see a huge turnaround in players. I think it is fairly obvious that Jonas, Gosling, Marveaux and Obertan will go for starters.

Whether Cisse or Shola go will depend on who we can bring in to replace them.

I have a feeling Debuchy will go and if he does, I quite fancy that young right back from Burnley as a replacement, Tripper or something like that.

I also think a deal in principle has been done with Cabella’s father about joining in the summer and this is partly the reason Nicollin is arking up.

• jimmysmith

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Yeah, Dummett looks good in ways that Santon isn’t so good, and vice versa. I’m reluctant to get excited about youth products at Newcastle though, but Dummett looks like he might make an EPL player, but it’s early days, players inevitably settle down into a sustainable level of performance and I think Dummett is probably playing on increased adrenaline right now. Interesting to see how he develops. He’s a Geordie too though of course and that’s great.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Mister Tuff

I didn’t accuse you of bragging about your credentials. Just about everything else that you kindly volunteer from on high. You come across as an expert from every area of law and finance to the inner workings of farm yard animals.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM

TUFF

OK down here but suffering from one of those viruses that lingers for weeks. A good excuse to get out of the ironing.

Summer is just about over here but oit is still warm and beach weather.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Mister Tuff,
    Will you ask Blackley this for me as I keep missing him, it is a hypothetical question abot his son being involved in a fight in exactly the same circumstances as another lad, the other lad gets 12 months and his son gets a suspended sentence, would somebody who believes in justice and equality so passionately, campaign for his lad to be treated the same way as the other lad and get sent down, would he even highlight the other lads case for fear of his own son being handed out the same punishment.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Ah Blackley my dear fellow, there you are !

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM

BLACKLEY

Do yourself a favour mate and stop questioning TUFF’s credentials.

I have known him personally for over 40 years and can tell you that he IS an expert in these fields and knows exactly what he is talking about.

• jimmysmith

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Blackley being invited into the lions den. It is an interesting “discussion”. Go on son, in you go!

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM

JIMMY

Its gone quiet all of a sudden. The calm before the storm or the preparations for the Christian entering the lions den.

Should be interesting…………..LOL

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Blackley,
    Why do you keep disappearing or don’t you have time for me ?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Sorry Jail, I’ve been dealing with Tuff and forgot about your question.

To put this in perspective, I haven’t got a vendetta against Alan Pardew despite what anyone says. I’m simply asking that he’s treated the same way as the rest of us, in accordance with the same laws. Otherwise, we’re on the road to ruin.

Any fan who now faces criminal charges for non violent behaviour at a football match or for something on a par with Pardew’s antics can justifiably feel aggrieved. It’s one rule for the stars and celebs and another for the hoi polloi and the plebs.

The question is whether Pardew has gone through the criminal process like the rest of us, or whether he has escaped it. If my son and another lad both went through the criminal process, then that’s what’s right. If they both end up with different punishments, all else being equal, that would be perverse. If I campaigned on that, it would only be on the basis the system was rigged in favour of a particular group. So if chavs got 12 months and my son and many others, not being a chavs, got suspended sentences, and that was part of the system, the system would be corrupt. I’d like to think I’d challenge it.

If it was a one off: just two boys and a decision made, I’d leave it for you, Tuff or Alan Pardew to challenge. Nobody else in the future would be harmed.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Blackley, that’s very admirable of you as I say the question was hypothetical, as for Dirk Dastardly running across the pitch naked, don’t you think he should have been given the same punishment as the fan who done the same thing then and his boss charged with him for aiding and abetting.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM

BLACKLEY

Get used to it. Celebrities mostly are favoured and have been so for decades.

The Pardew incident has been blown out of all proportion. You are saying he should be prosecuted for violent behaviour. I have seen more violence in an arm wrestling contest between a couple of toddlers.

Get over it and move on.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Blacklie -I offer nothing from “on high”. That is your assumption that I do. Your strange take on this I think has probably got more to do with your own personal issues, and how you interact with others, rather than having anything to do with those you encounter.
    You are indeed a strange person.
    In case you forgot -come on lets have blow by blow account of your discussion with the C/Inspector -come on now don’t be shy in sharing it.

Come on Blackley re -appear and enlighten us all.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM

JFA

I think Dirty Derek should have been hung from the Tyne Bridge by his johnny danglers mate…..LOL

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Expat Mag

You say you fail to see understand how the information provided by Tuff could be misunderstand and suggest I fail to see what’s right in front of my nose.

Well perhaps you can answer the questions Tuff repeatedly fails to answer. Perhaps you can tell us why he considers it was a poorly worded press release by the cops and things wouldn’t have happened as has been said and there would be problems with data protection and human rights?

I’ve asked him repeatedly how he knows this as (1) those things are irrelevant and (2) he wasn’t there. I have spoken at length this afternoon to the police officer who made the decision not to bring charges and his version is entirely consistent with the press release. Moreover, he spoke openly to me without being encumbered by confidentiality constraints.

Can you please comment as you claim to understand and Tuff once again wont elaborate?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:00 AM

TUFF

You are becoming a frustrated old fart of an antagonist lately. Has C reduced your entitlements?…….LOL

• jimmysmith

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM

The fan who invaded the pitch got a total of 300 quid in fines etc for his troubles if I’m correct and I’m assuming a criminal record for a misdemeanor. How does that actually diminish his life chances, in reality? I suppose there might be plenty who would be entirely sympathetic, if the incident ever were to have any bearing on his future.

• Ciaran

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Good to see that I have been vindicated. A certain poster tries to call me out to undermine me. In due course he has succeeded in undermining himself. The truth will out – enjoying being made look like an idiot Blackley?

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM

That Mcmannamon thug from Wigan should have been charged as should Roy Keane after his admission in his book, where do you draw the line, different circumstances apply to the same laws, apparently.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM

BLACKLEY

There is no point in trying to involve me in this discussion because I know little of the law but I do know that TUFF does.

However, one thing I would like to say is that could it be possible that as there does not appear to have been any complaint to the Police by any fan, the player or Hull City football club regarding the incident, then there would be no reason for the Police to bring charges.

I could be wrong here but it could be as simple as that.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Blackley -I’ve tried to explain things to you but it’s like hitting my head against a brick wall.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Expat

“Get over it”!? I should accept it. Why? Because, like many on here, you don’t want to see Pardew charged with a criminal offence and wish him back to work as soon as possible.

I’m not asking that he be charged with assault. He would have been had Meyler been so minded, so he’s very lucky indeed. I’m taking about a minor public order offence, but nevertheless a big deal to anyone who hasn’t got a criminal record. You would have understood this if you had followed this properly.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM

JFA

and should REMY have been charges at Norwich?

Blackley?

• Ciaran

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Blackley

Jeez, seems like someone has a serious vendetta against Pardew. Maybe if you didn’t pursue it so ardently, others might take you more seriously.