The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Players Score Three in Rotherham’s 6-0 Win

9:20 pm, Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Last Saturday Haris Vuckic scored twice and James Tavernier got the opener in Rotherham’s 6-0 trouncing of bottom of the league Notts County – formed in 1862 and one of the oldest club in the Football League.

james tavernier rotherham

James Tavernier – in Rotherham colors

Rotherham are in 6th place in league One and currently in a playoff position – and 9 points off an automatic promotion place which are currently held by Wolves and Leyton Orient.

Haris and James are on loan at Rotherham though the end of the season and James opened the scoring with a terrific free kick which he put into the top left hand corner of the net with his right foot.

And then Haris scored the second after 16 minutes with a right footed belter into the top right hand corner, and Rotherham were 4-0 up at the break.

On 60 minutes Haris got Rotherham’s fifth goal, this time with his left foot into the top left hand corner.

Tavernier has now played 15 times with 3 goals and Vuckic 14 times with 3 goals for Rotherham, and both seem to be excelling at the League One club.

And in St. Mirren’s 2-0 home win against Kilmarnock on Saturday, Newcastle born Conor Newton scored the first goal after 79 minutes, when he smashed the ball into the net, and in that game Adam Campbell came on as a substitute after 89 minutes.

Conor has now played 30 times this season with four goals, after making 20 appearances at the club on loan last season with 3 goals.

And of course Conor scored in the Scottish League Cup Final in the 3-2 win over Hearts – a game in which Paul Dummett also played.

Adam Campbell has appeared 10 times with two goals for St. Mirren while on loan north of the border.

And in Greece last weekend Mehdi Abeid scored the third goal after 89 minutes in Panathinaikos’ 3-0 win at Olympiakos Piraeus.

Mehdi now has 25 appearances for Panathinaikos on loan this season with six goals, and he’s getting rave reports in Greece.

Note: James Sands is a long time reader of the blog, and he is running the Brighton marathon on April 9th on behalf of the Stroke Association – James’ target is £750 in donations, which can be made here – please help if you can.

Tags: Adam Campbell · Conor Newton · Haris Vuckic · James Tavernier · Loan Moves · Mehdi Abeid · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Other News

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Mar 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM

The Mag site are carrying a story about a Toon supporter on the receiving end of racist abuse on Twitter from a Mackem. Disgraceful story.
    Hope the cops are investigating.
    Link:-

• 2 mindshaft // Mar 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Both Vuckic goals were rather large deflections rather than belters – good efforts tho
    Tav’s free kick was a belter

• 3 Markaccus // Mar 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Tuff

Jesus H lemsip!!!! That was pretty uncalled for! Hope the law got him. He is the reason why footy fans are seen as pig ignorant thuggish knackers with the inteligence of amino acids before they merged to form life.

• 4 Mister Tuff // Mar 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM

markaccus – after reading the story and watching that Dispatches programme last night about racism and homophobia -shows that there are still pockets of these types of folk who need punishing and banned from their clubs.

• 5 Markaccus // Mar 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Tuff

they need rounding up and shot! Ok, a bit extreme, but they are total wastes of skin

• 6 MosesNUFC // Mar 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I hope Tavernier, Bigirimana, Vuckic, Campbell break into the the first team

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Mr Tuff

Despite repeated requests from me, you have still not explained why the Data Protection Act is so relevant to the police’s discussions with the FA.

Let me remind you what you have said and what you continue to stick to. You have said:

“Despite what you posted earlier the police will not sit down with the FA and discuss whether they want to charge anyone (poorly worded press release from the cops) -this would be a clear breach of the Data Protection Act, Human Rights, confidentiality.”

Even if you could show that data protection and human rights had any relevance, they would only be a side show, a million miles from the point of the discussion. You have boasted that you have a lot of experience with the DPA, but sometimes you don’t have to show these things off – certainly not where they’re irrelevant. Forgive me as I see it as a completely non-point designed to make you look informed and to elevate your argument.

First, can you please now show the practical circumstances where data protection and human rights would play anything more than a footnote, if that?

Second, can you please explain how you can say what you have said above with such authority, almost as if you were sitting at the table (but of course cannot say as much for confidentiality reasons)?

Before you reply, you may wish to consider one fact. I have had a long chat with Chief Inspector Kirven of Humberside Police this afternoon, the man who took the decision, and who kindly took the time out to telephone me. I have to say he didn’t mention the Data Protection Act once. Indeed we had a free and open conversation unconstrained by any confidentiality or human rights issues.

Interestingly, Mr Kirven informed me in detail of how he arrived at his decision, which he confirmed was a very difficult one to make. Contrary to what you have stated in your typically dismissive tones, it did in fact involve influential discussions with the FA.

Now do I accept your word above or the word of the man who took the decision? Let me think …? As the word of the man who took the decision accords exactly with the point I’ve been making to you, I hope you won’t mind if I (1) trust my own judgment and (2) go with the word of the man who took the decision.

To return to the equine theme that you’re quite fond of, it comes straight from the horse’s mouth.

• 8 SpecialK // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Frigging hell…I haven’t been on here all day and surprise surprise, the worlds two most boring people are still chewing the fat.

Tuff/Blackley and brownlie; the studs of the blog.

Your patter must be a hit with the ladies.

• 9 expatmag // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:15 PM

G/Day guys

How is everything today.

• 10 expatmag // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM

TUFF

Don’t worry mate. I will send one of my mates around to advise and persuade him. We Aussies don’t take no shit……LOL

• 11 expatmag // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM

On the subject of the kids loaned out, it is good to see them doing well but playing for the likes of Rotherham, St.Mirren and Dundee United is a far cry from adapting to the PL.

I would rather see them loaned out to lower PL and or top half Championship teams next to see them adjust further

• 12 expatmag // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM

its quiet in here today. I might have a conversation with myself.

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM

SpecialK

You complain about me and Tuff. I see you’ve got the discussion racing with your craic!

I wouldn’t care you have had the platform to yourself while I’ve been penning my letter to the Journal, and Tuff has been away nutting the wall.

Okay. So we might have scared everyone off, but you’re not pulling out many stops to help.

• 14 jimmysmith // Mar 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Yes, it would be great if we could develop an ongoing relationship with Rotherham that saw them take our best young players on loan to help them secure a long term place in the Championship. Perhaps the same at St Mirren, particularly once Rangers return.

I’m sure the club recognises that the third tier of English football and the Scottish Premier league are not ideal final stepping stones for an aspiring EPL player, particularly one hoping to wear the heavy shirt of Newcastle.

• 15 Sav // Mar 5, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Whoever is responsible for the loans at newcastle over the last 2 or 3 years – Pardew, Beardo, Ashley, whoever, – it is one of the most positive developments in years. Great to see these young lads get a share of really competitive experience and grasp it two-handed.

previous post: Midfielder Now Coming Into His Own At Newcastle