The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Want To Say Thank You To The People Of Newcastle

9:15 am, Thursday, March 6th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

The Shields Gazette have an exclusive interview today with former Newcastle U21 coach Willie Donachie,  who resigned a couple of weeks ago after allegedly striking center-back Remie Streete, following the 3-0 defeat to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, which came  just two days after the first team had lost by the same score to Sunderland at St. James’ Park. :(

willie donachie

Willie Donachie – while at Newcastle

This is what Donachie told the Shields Gazette today:

“What I try to teach the players is to be responsible for your actions – don’t try to blame anyone else,” “And so I’m going to go somewhere else to try to be a great coach.”

“All I’ve had is a lot of support and people wishing me well.” “I want to say thank you to the people of Newcastle who have been very supportive, especially all my neighbours and a lot of people at the club.”

“The Newcastle people are tough people, but they’ve got big hearts.” “They’re really the club – the fans.” “It’s a shame.” “I’ve been here four years now.”

“My wife and youngest son lives here. We bought a house straight away.” “I’ve come to love the city and the area around it, but most importantly the people.”

“Now I’ve got to go somewhere else, but that’s football. You can’t always stay in the one place. It’s a shame it’s happened like this.”

It’s not been a good season for Newcastle coaches, and of course Alan Pardew is now in trouble for head butting Hull player David Meyler on Saturday, and the Newcastle manager is likely to get a lengthy ban from the FA, which could even be announced later today.

Willie was a good coach at Newcastle, and we wish him all the best in his new endeavors.

Note: James Sands is a long time reader of the blog, and he is running the Brighton marathon on April 9th on behalf of the Stroke Association – James’ target is £750 in donations, which can be made here – please help if you can.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Remie Streete

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Mar 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

France remind me of Newcastle for more than the obvious reasons: they can beat anyone, lose to anyone. They could win the thing or crash out with no victories at all!

• 2 WWSBRD // Mar 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Probably dont give ur next reserve players a slap then? (saying that he might not of I really dont know) but good luck to him in the future

After watching the England match last night I was amazed to find that I actually dont see why WIlliamson wasn’t picked for a little nod judging by the ‘quality’ in the English defence.

Also how well would Lallana fit as our Cabaye replacement, leader, composed, skilled, balanced and creative its a shame Pardew wasn’t backed to bring him to us earlier am sure we were linked when he first became manager and again last season I believe

• 3 catchy in norway // Mar 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

would there be this much fuss if it was Nile ranger ? no

good luck in the future willie , we can see there are double standards at our club

• 4 alka // Mar 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

WWSBRD
    After watching England last night I suggest to the FA to save their money and not bother to send a team to the World Cup. What was on show last night will not even get past the first round. To say it was BLOODY BORING is put it politely.

• 5 Jeff from Benwell // Mar 6, 2014 at 11:27 AM

After 28 games with 10 to go
    Asenal and Liverpool are on 59 points
    Spurs in 5th place are on 53
    we are 10 points behind on 43
    Having looked at our 10 remaining fixtures I can see us getting 16 more points taking us to 59
    When we got 5th place 2 seasons ago it was with 65 points
    However my points tally is quite conservative
    If we play as we did against Hull for the next 10 games it is not inconceivable we could achieve Europe

• 6 Sav // Mar 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Willie thanks all his neighbours and ‘ a lot of people at the club’. Clearly, not everybody…

• 7 unicorn toon // Mar 8, 2014 at 7:43 AM