Newcastle Face Competition For Striker Target This Summer

Newcastle will face competition from Inter Milan and Tottenham, if they are to attempt to sign their number one transfer target last summer – Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafetimbi Gomis – still a Newcastle target?

Newcastle will definitely lose Shola Ameobi in the summer when his contract runs out, we will very probably be unable to sign Loic Remy on a permanent deal after his loan deal ends, Papiss Cisse could be sold if he doesn’t come through in the last 10 games of the season, and Luuk de Jong still needs to score some goals if he is win a permanent contract when his loan spell form Borussia Dortmund ends in May.

So of the four strikers we have at the club this season, there’s a possibility that all four could leave the club in the summer, so we just hope Graham Carr and the rest of the scouting team have replacements lined up. 🙁

Newcastle bid £9M for Bafe Gomis last summer, but failed to get him to Tyneside, and now he will become a free agent in the summer, and two big clubs – Tottenham and Inter-Milan – are also after the 28 year-old French International striker.

Bafe visited Inter Milan at the end of January, when it seemed like they were going to sign him, but as far as Bafe is concerned – he has signed no pre-contract agreement with any club – yet.

That’s good news and bad news – good news that he hasn’t signed with another club,  but bad news that Newcastle haven’t got him signed up.

Reports in Italy earlier in the week were saying that Inter are now favorites to sign this player in the summer, but we suppose that’s to be expected – coming out of Italy.

We have to think – or should we say that logic would suggest – that if Newcastle were willing to pay £9M for him last August, we’d be willing to sign him this summer as a free agent.

That’s would logic would suggest – but this is Newcastle United after all.

Anything can happen at Newcastle – but if we are to challenge for a top six place next season, we need to have four good strikers at the club – and Bafe could (should?) be one of them, and he wouldn’t cost too much – certainly a lot less than last summer.

What do you think?

Note: James Sands is a long time reader of the blog, and he is running the Brighton marathon on April 9th on behalf of the Stroke Association – James’ target is £750 in donations, which can be made here – please help if you can.

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

we will fold at the thought of competition

• 70TWO

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I dread Go-miss and his agent getting anywhere near Newbrazil.

• mag

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Hopefully we set our sights a bit higher.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Gomis is getting old for Ashley to spend that much on. Can’t see us being competitive for him. More likely De Jong on a permanent and another young striker will come in. Carr will be doing plenty of scouting. Very uncertain times ahead again with Ashley as boss.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

A good cheap 25 year old super striker is what we need according to Ash. Beautiful.

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

a good set of subbuteo players is ashes target

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I see us going out and getting someone in trouble with the law to lead the line. Someone who nobody else wants. Is Nile Ranger available?

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM

When the chips are down we can always count on Mike to do the wrong thing.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I’m looking forward to a lot of changes at the club this summer. Some of them might even be positive. 😯

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

dufy what’s your prediction for the Fulham game mate?

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

70TWO what are you up to lad? Let’s get some tremendous bloggery going mate.

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

1-0 fulham sorry with all the sad goings on

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Somebody had better talk to me or I’m going to sulk. 🙁

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

1-0 to Fulham dufy? Harrumph! Did I mention we’re bringing our rugby ball with us? Catches them off guard every time.

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM

setting up my rifle scopes, listening to the skip. spying comet ison and watching for the snow

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

i cant get up for anything due to the soap that is nufc

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Evening gents

Not sure if anyone has seen this…..

I’m assuming not as its still being banged on about for the 5th f*****g day in a row

Ffs this used to be a decent banter based football blog now it’s the ramblings of some form of failed barrister prattling on about something realistically nobody gives 2 sh1ts about!

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Will Pardew get done for bad acting?

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Order in court

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Spot on tadsy! Harrumph! I’m come prepared with excellent footy based banter today so don’t despair mate! 🙂

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Point of concern lads. I’m just hearing about a new threat to our manliness. These Homo Erectus yobbos could be a problem. I’ll keep you posted.

• 70TWO

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

GeordieTwo

What dead horse do you wish to flog? We still have 9 days before the next game and only a verdict to look ‘forward’ to discussing. The gravy is already a bit thin after huge win, violent incident, international matches and tourist board announcements.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Is Curtis Good really good, fairly good, or just plain old Good? Let me know your opinions please.

• 70TWO

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM

toonarmydownsouth – holding court? 🙂

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM

You know that reminds me of a famous old saying 70TWO mate. You can drag a snake to water but you can’t make it wear earrings. That’s how I feel about Ashley these days. Sigh.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I mean talk about showing off with that Homo Erectus bollocks. Some lads have no shame.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I’m very excited to see Magath go head to head (no pun intended) with wor Johnny Carver. Beautiful.

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Pardew to be hung drawn and quartered dismembered and his head to be stuck on a spike outside the fa headquaters

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Do people still titter these days? I’m a bit out of touch. Is sniggering still common? Help me out mates.

• 70TWO

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

GeordieTwo

I thought this article was relevant to two previous / ongoing discussions, i) the German model of club ownership ii) potential ownership of NUFC by international corporation.

But your discussion about apathy may be even more relevant but I can’t be arsed.

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

It’s a lonely shift for you G2, single-handedly keeping the blog going. You’ll be arguing with yourself soon. I can see you insulting yourself, then quitting the blog in a right old huff. Keep your cool whatever he says, and don’t rise to his bait, he’s just not worth it. Ignore him, I do.

😀

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Does anybody else have some feelings they would like to share about Ashley? Come on lads you can open up on here. That’s what we’re here for.

• dufuss

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM

that does it im off

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Sorry but I can’t respond to your comments right now Tsunki mate. I’ve got deep concerns about the Homo Erectus threat and the general lack of blog etiquette. I’m working myself into quite a state. I almost feel a MarkHulkus coming on. Don’t make me angry. You don’t want to see me angry.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Are you ever coming back dufy mate? We need your input. Colour me concerned.

• 70TWO

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Personally I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to find out how much ironing expatmag got through…..that one had me in creases.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Has anybody noticed a slightly weird element creeping into the blog these days? Don’t worry mates I’m on it. I believe it’s a cunning takeover plan. And the Ukraine thinks it has problems.

• Tsunki

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Dufuss – ‘It has been found that Alan de Pardieu, Esq., being a foreign agent of Bonapartes’ legion, and a notorious brigand, is guilty of bludgeoning a sporting subordinate of the Humberside Band, and shall thereof be met ill with penalty by the hand of the officers of the Affociation, namely to be strung from the gibbet aloft with neither pantaloon, nor ruffle about his neck, whence an example to others of the grave confequence of spying and butting of heads with provincial oafs, be they the reviled mackem or no.’

• dufuss