The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Face Competition For Striker Target This Summer

5:01 pm, Thursday, March 6th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 86 Comments

Newcastle will face competition from Inter Milan and Tottenham, if they are to attempt to sign their number one transfer target last summer – Lyon’s Bafetimbi Gomis.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafetimbi Gomis – still a Newcastle target?

Newcastle will definitely lose Shola Ameobi in the summer when his contract runs out, we will very probably be unable to sign Loic Remy on a permanent deal after his loan deal ends, Papiss Cisse could be sold if he doesn’t come through in the last 10 games of the season, and Luuk de Jong still needs to score some goals if he is win a permanent contract when his loan spell form Borussia Dortmund ends in May.

So of the four strikers we have at the club this season, there’s a possibility that all four could leave the club in the summer, so we just hope Graham Carr and the rest of the scouting team have replacements lined up. :(

Newcastle bid £9M for Bafe Gomis last summer, but failed to get him to Tyneside, and now he will become a free agent in the summer, and two big clubs - Tottenham and Inter-Milan – are also after the 28 year-old French International striker.

Bafe visited Inter Milan at the end of January, when it seemed like they were going to sign him, but as far as Bafe is concerned – he has signed no pre-contract agreement with any club – yet.

That’s good news and bad news – good news that he hasn’t signed with another club,  but bad news that Newcastle haven’t got him signed up.

Reports in Italy earlier in the week were saying that Inter are now favorites to sign this player in the summer, but we suppose that’s to be expected – coming out of Italy.

We have to think – or should we say that logic would suggest – that if Newcastle were willing to pay £9M for him last August, we’d be willing to sign him this summer as a free agent.

That’s would logic would suggest – but this is Newcastle United after all.

Anything can happen at Newcastle – but if we are to challenge for a top six place next season, we need to have four good strikers at the club – and Bafe could (should?) be one of them, and he wouldn’t cost too much – certainly a lot less than last summer.

What do you think?

Note: James Sands is a long time reader of the blog, and he is running the Brighton marathon on April 9th on behalf of the Stroke Association – James’ target is £750 in donations, which can be made here – please help if you can.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

86 responses so far ↓

• 1 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

we will fold at the thought of competition

• 2 70TWO // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I dread Go-miss and his agent getting anywhere near Newbrazil.

• 3 mag // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Hopefully we set our sights a bit higher.

• 4 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Gomis is getting old for Ashley to spend that much on. Can’t see us being competitive for him. More likely De Jong on a permanent and another young striker will come in. Carr will be doing plenty of scouting. Very uncertain times ahead again with Ashley as boss.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

A good cheap 25 year old super striker is what we need according to Ash. Beautiful.

• 6 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

a good set of subbuteo players is ashes target

• 7 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I see us going out and getting someone in trouble with the law to lead the line. Someone who nobody else wants. Is Nile Ranger available?

• 8 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM

When the chips are down we can always count on Mike to do the wrong thing.

• 9 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I’m looking forward to a lot of changes at the club this summer. Some of them might even be positive. :shock:

• 10 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

dufy what’s your prediction for the Fulham game mate?

• 11 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

70TWO what are you up to lad? Let’s get some tremendous bloggery going mate.

• 12 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

1-0 fulham sorry with all the sad goings on

• 13 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Somebody had better talk to me or I’m going to sulk. :(

• 14 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

1-0 to Fulham dufy? Harrumph! Did I mention we’re bringing our rugby ball with us? Catches them off guard every time.

• 15 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM

setting up my rifle scopes, listening to the skip. spying comet ison and watching for the snow

• 16 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

i cant get up for anything due to the soap that is nufc

• 17 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Evening gents

Not sure if anyone has seen this…..

I’m assuming not as its still being banged on about for the 5th f*****g day in a row

Ffs this used to be a decent banter based football blog now it’s the ramblings of some form of failed barrister prattling on about something realistically nobody gives 2 sh1ts about!

• 18 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Will Pardew get done for bad acting?

• 19 Sazzer // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Evening gents

• 20 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Order in court

• 21 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Spot on tadsy! Harrumph! I’m come prepared with excellent footy based banter today so don’t despair mate! :)

• 22 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Point of concern lads. I’m just hearing about a new threat to our manliness. These Homo Erectus yobbos could be a problem. I’ll keep you posted.

• 23 70TWO // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

GeordieTwo

What dead horse do you wish to flog? We still have 9 days before the next game and only a verdict to look ‘forward’ to discussing. The gravy is already a bit thin after huge win, violent incident, international matches and tourist board announcements.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Is Curtis Good really good, fairly good, or just plain old Good? Let me know your opinions please.

• 25 70TWO // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM

toonarmydownsouth – holding court? :-)

• 26 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM

You know that reminds me of a famous old saying 70TWO mate. You can drag a snake to water but you can’t make it wear earrings. That’s how I feel about Ashley these days. Sigh.

• 27 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I mean talk about showing off with that Homo Erectus bollocks. Some lads have no shame.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I’m very excited to see Magath go head to head (no pun intended) with wor Johnny Carver. Beautiful.

• 29 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Pardew to be hung drawn and quartered dismembered and his head to be stuck on a spike outside the fa headquaters

• 30 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Do people still titter these days? I’m a bit out of touch. Is sniggering still common? Help me out mates.

• 31 70TWO // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

GeordieTwo

I thought this article was relevant to two previous / ongoing discussions, i) the German model of club ownership ii) potential ownership of NUFC by international corporation.

But your discussion about apathy may be even more relevant but I can’t be arsed.

• 32 Tsunki // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

It’s a lonely shift for you G2, single-handedly keeping the blog going. You’ll be arguing with yourself soon. I can see you insulting yourself, then quitting the blog in a right old huff. Keep your cool whatever he says, and don’t rise to his bait, he’s just not worth it. Ignore him, I do.

:D

• 33 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Does anybody else have some feelings they would like to share about Ashley? Come on lads you can open up on here. That’s what we’re here for.

• 34 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM

that does it im off

• 35 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Sorry but I can’t respond to your comments right now Tsunki mate. I’ve got deep concerns about the Homo Erectus threat and the general lack of blog etiquette. I’m working myself into quite a state. I almost feel a MarkHulkus coming on. Don’t make me angry. You don’t want to see me angry.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Are you ever coming back dufy mate? We need your input. Colour me concerned.

• 37 70TWO // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Personally I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to find out how much ironing expatmag got through…..that one had me in creases.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Has anybody noticed a slightly weird element creeping into the blog these days? Don’t worry mates I’m on it. I believe it’s a cunning takeover plan. And the Ukraine thinks it has problems.

• 39 Tsunki // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Dufuss – ‘It has been found that Alan de Pardieu, Esq., being a foreign agent of Bonapartes’ legion, and a notorious brigand, is guilty of bludgeoning a sporting subordinate of the Humberside Band, and shall thereof be met ill with penalty by the hand of the officers of the Affociation, namely to be strung from the gibbet aloft with neither pantaloon, nor ruffle about his neck, whence an example to others of the grave confequence of spying and butting of heads with provincial oafs, be they the reviled mackem or no.’

• 40 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM

possibly at the start

• 41 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I’m really impressed with how Anita and Sissoko are coming on lately. We do still have a solid core but you can’t go on forever with no decent permanent strikers of note and worries at CB. Harrumph.

• 42 Mister Tuff // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Funny article on the Newcastle Mad site about that tool Robbie Savage- racounted by Graham Poll. Once at a match Savage came bursting into the refs room exclaiming he was “busting for a shite”- and promptly used the refs loo leaving the door open and gave a running commentary. Afterwards Poll advised his to wash his hands -he refused and wiped them on the match observers coat He was later fined by his club and the FA.
    Link:-

• 43 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Where are the usual suspects anyway? You know who you are. Was it something we said? Did something crawl into your underpants and lay eggs? We need to know.

• 44 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Now that’s what I’m talking about Mr. Tuff mate! Something to sink our teeth into. Robbie Savage, a man I would never shake hands with.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Did anyone notice that extremely serious comment @41 by the way?

• 46 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Hey up lads. Can anyone lend me a synchrotron, a quantum computer, and a small rotisserie bbq? Thanks in advance.

• 47 dufuss // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM

and is noway in cahoots with the monkey arrested in the pool but he does work for peanuts

• 48 Transfer Sage // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

If Pardew gets a stadium ban Ashley might take pitty on wor Joe and bring the bloke in to be Pardews eyes and ears (and nut) on the touch line and Pardew can be our director of football for a few months.

• 49 Sazzer // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Newcastle United FC ?@NUFCOfficial
    CONFIRMED: #NUFC manager Alan Pardew has admitted an FA misconduct charge. For more, see http://www.nufc.co.uk

• 50 Transfer Sage // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

tuff

ah yes…robbie savage, the hair of a lady but the brain of a gnat.

hopefully we can all support city to beat barca and force his retirement

• 51 Sazzer // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

“Nicklas Bendtner has been statistically proven to be the deadliest striker in the Premier League.”

• 52 toonking // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM

It can be a very frustrating blog at times but, newcastle and england fans both have one thing in common, that thing is we both are not realistic enough. England fans for instance think england can get as far as semi finals in the world cup with the right manager when really, They should be happy when they manage to make it through to the knockout stages. Newcastle fans are the very same ourselves we think newcastle could qualify for europe every season with the right manager, what we should be really be expecting at best is just a finish of 7th-10th place and get as far as we can in the FA cup (i will say we were poor) and league cup (we were very good and just unlucky to get city).

what causes both sets of fans to go over board it’s because england have one of the biggest leagues in the world and newcastle have one of the biggest supporters crowds in england.
    they also both had that good period in the 90′s and early 2000′s
    finally they have both not won a trophy since 1960′s

• 53 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Tsuki mate what are you up to by the way? I know you’ve been deeply concerned about MarkHulkus. Is he still wearing the miniskirt to work? What do the other lads think? Why isn’t he on here insulting me more often? Colour me offended. Harrumph.

• 54 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Savage story had me chucking my head off! The manshe is still a massive tit though

• 55 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

On a lighter note pardspew has accepted his charge but complained at the time there were too many ex mackems around him at once

• 56 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Just me on the blog! Hurray for me

• 57 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I feel like an inexperienced g2 here, is there anybody who is able to assist?

• 58 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Underpants

• 59 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Toonking we’re not frustrating at all on the blog. We live, we laugh, we press wild flowers. So much to do, so little time. As for England everyone on here knows they’re cack. Won’t get out of their group in Brazil. The mighty Toon on the other hand will crush all who go before us. Our heeds are battering rams. Our footy is brilliant. Harrumph.

• 60 toon kk // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Mash will watch every penny in the summer, don’t expect too many new arrivals. We’ll take a step back next season especially if Remy isn’t signed up. Then he’ll probably have to panic buy if necessary in January to keep us in the premier league.

• 61 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Don’t worry A_C mate I’m here to assist you. You see, it’s all a bit complicated. We’re proud of our manliness (except the lady bloggers of course), yet we’re also sensitive modern men. We champion equal rights for men, yet we also press wild flowers. We’re up, and yet we’re also down. You’ll catch on.

• 62 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

No need for such pessimism toon kk mate. Ashley is our friend. He has many fond memories of his time with the club. He plans at least 5 minutes ahead for each season. He keeps us constantly informed of his football plans moving forward. He’s our little chubby cherub. Beautiful.

• 63 toon kk // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Toonking
    regarding your post on England and Newcastle, that is very true. We also play similar style of football.
    Boils down to a bit of quality missing.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Don’t worry lads. I’ve got Ibiza looking into this whole Homo Erectus thing for us. A very competent investigator is Ibiza. I’m confident we’ll get good feedback. As for eggs being laid in underpants I can’t say quite what is going on there.

• 65 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Or a lack of modern football training, scouting, managing and players toon kk. Not enough Englishmen in the Prem. Our lads are all playing on computers and eating too many meat pies. Harrumph!

• 66 toon kk // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Geordie
    your so right mate, we should all start cheering and chanting his name!! He is so organised its definitely Unreal.

• 67 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

In fact it might be quite a tight game for us against Fulham. They have been very poor defensively this season (look at that goal difference, shudder) but Magath will definitely improve them. If our owner had any man parts he would hire someone like Magath and give him a few seasons to sort out the entire club. Bring in some no nonsense Germans and work the players into the best shape of their lives.

• 68 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Thanks G2 That was a much needed boost! Although the inner workings of the blog are not new to me, I don’t post much due to a number of things which include but are not limited too “having a life” well at least I think I do but alas I just had to post an article I discovered regarding a fan being banned and said fan was not happy in the slightest that pardspew had escaped any format of punishment from the law! I automatically thought of bnb Who dost protest too much and thought it might of been him which gave me a chuckle

• 69 Average_Contents // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

http://mobile.newsnow.co.uk/A/699907608?-11058 the article in question ;)

• 70 toon kk // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Geordie
    bringing Germans in wouldn’t go down well with the players expecially when they’re unfit and like a few pints the night before s match.

• 71 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Glad to hear you’re not a blog newcomer A_C mate. It’s very tiring to explain the entire blog workings. As for having a life that does sound like a bit of a problem. If you come on here more often you will pick up some very life enhancing tips. You know the sort of thing I’m talkig about. When to wear tassles, who to contact when experiencing tight thong issues. We have experts in all these fields and more.

• 72 welshgeordie9 // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

What did you call me

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I didn’t call you anything

• 74 welshgeordie9 // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Well that’s alright then

• 75 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Exactly toon kk mate! Shake them up! Weed out the least fit! Learn to be ruthless in attack and on defense. If time permits invade Poland. That sort of thing.

• 76 Online Guy // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Lad’s

What A lovely day it is to go down to the beach , fill your tights full of sand , standing on your head and saying, What about that for an Egg timer .

• 77 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Settle down welshie. This is a family blog.

• 78 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Are you still wearing tights to the beach Online Guy? And probably no tassles? Hmmm.

• 79 welshgeordie9 // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM

GeordieTwo

Don’t interrupt me when I’m arguing with myself

• 80 toonking // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Toon KK 63

that is what the worst part about newcastle fans that are england fans.

As we know to make any progress up the league table our club now has to spend lots of money on very talented players but are their many english talents? No, the best talents are foreign and those that are English are very dear. So we decide to spend lots of money bring in lots of foreigners, get what we want to achieve club wise, but it comes at a cost and the cost is, we make the england quality get worst and worst with less and less youth coming through.

• 81 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I’m getting a lot of flak about my whole German manager, strict disciplinarian theory. Look at the Bundesliga. Now that’s a manly league. Running, jumping, scoring, defending. They do it all. We are a bunch of fluffy pillows in comparison. Harrumph.

• 82 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Did anybody like my fluffy pillow metaphor? Look at Benny for example. Now there’s a fluffy pillow.

• 83 GeordieTwo // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Now that Ibiza has discovered that video of a man fondling his own nipples will we ever see him on here again? Just wondering. Jesper what do you think mate?

• 84 Online Guy // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM

If one would like to ask Robbie Savage a few questions ..Be polite mind ! Trisha will pass them on . be nice !

trisha@lilypropertymanagement.co.uk.

I already did, and asked him what his real take was on Pardew’s so called Head-butt …A coming together of faces Was my take on it I mentioned ..Ask him, you might be surprised with the answer.

• 85 toon kk // Mar 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Toonking
    as far as English talent goes alot of our player’s come through the youth academy playing a different style of football. Where as in many other countries its far more tactical and brings out a different quality the English player’s aren’t used to.

• 86 Sav // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Doubt he’ll sign to anyone before the World Cup, if he’s in the squad. This one has got whickers, Ed. And Gomis will be 29 by the next campaign starts. His main attribute is that he’s free.

previous post: Pardew Likely To Ask For Personal Hearing From FA Commission