The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Issues Warning To Newcastle Strikers

1:40 pm, Friday, March 7th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 196 Comments

If Luuk de Jong and Papiss Cisse want to be at Newcastle United come September, then both of them will need to start scoring some goals.

luuk de jong 96

Luuk de Jong – needs to score goals to get permanent deal

That’s the message from Newcastle manager Alan Pardew today, as he is preparing the side for our next game which is a week tomorrow at Craven Cottage against bottom of the league Fulham – but even that match will be a tough one.

Shola Ameobi will be leaving Newcastle this summer when his contract runs out and will not be renewed, and this season he’s scored on one Capital One (League) Cup goal in 20 appearances this season.

And Loic Remy, who’s scored 13 league goals in just 24 appearances this season, is likely to want to move to a Champions League club when his loan spell at Newcastle ends in May.

Alan Pardew was talking plain and simple and to the point today, about both Luuk and Papiss:

“Both of those guys need to score goals between now and the end of the year. “They are both going to get chances and they are going to need to take them. That’s the competition I need.”

Papiss has scored only three goals in 20 appearances this season, but he also needs some playing time so he can put the ball into the back of the net.

And Luuk is likely to start up front at Craven Cottage with Loic Remy in eight days time, but the Dutch International has to start hitting the back of the net if he wants a permanent deal at Newcastle in the summer.

But whatever happens to Luuk and Papiss, Newcastle will still need to bring in at least two new strikers in the summer, and maybe even four if Luuk de Jong and Papiss fail to score enough goals in the last 10 games of the season.

What do you think?

Tags: Loan Moves · Loic Remy · Luuk de Jong · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Shola Ameobi

196 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Even if de Jong doesn’t score between now and the end of the season, if Pardew doesn’t recognise that Luuk is the link man in that #9 role that we’ve been so desperately crying out for, then it really is curtains for AP.

If de Jong doesn’t score/doesn’t score enough, then AP will claim that 8.5m (or whatever price around that ballpark is being quoted for him) is too expensive, when in reality, for a very good CF it is a snip.

Don’t be holding your breath folks. Gomis on a free is the more likely possibility.

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Ciaran
    Because he got us out the shite that Shepherd got us into – fleecing the club when we were skint – couln’t even get a loan unless we payed over the odds on interest at 11%.

To me a lot of people think a good owner is a person who throws millions/billions on buying players.

We are in a stable/good position now no chance of relegation time to move on this summer – money in the bank decent squad that needs strengthening

• 3 SpecialK // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Sunderland are very likely to escape relegation?

What is this assumption based upon?

I would have them down as one of the favourites to go down.

• 4 dufuss // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

bob hope and no hope

• 5 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Ciaran

There is zero evidence of whether LDJ or Gomis would be a better bet in that role. LDJ has had a decent start I’d say even without scoring but it depends on interest and finances. Cisse started off amazingly but he’s now tailed off sadly.

Gomis on a free would free up money for other areas. Depends how Pardew is rating LDJ’s contribution. At least I hope that’s what it comes down to.

• 6 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Charlie

And what shite was it that Shepherd got us in to? Yes we had made significant losses the 2 season prior to Ashley buying us over, but the myth that we would have went into administration or even been in any serious financial dilemma is exactly that – a myth.

Add to that fact that Ashley’s mismanagement of the club in the 08/09 season directly contributed to our relegation – as well as the denigration of 2 club legends along the way – I would say that Ashley did more harm to our club in 12 months than Shepherd ever did to NUFC.

I assume I don’t need to add to the discussion the renaming of St James’ Park, selling players to replace them with cheaper alternatives, thus ensuring that we are in a constant state of ‘squad building’ and reducing a vast amount of our former football fans into pseudo-accountants.

Let me ask you this, while we have made a £9.9m profit according to latest figures, how is that going to help us reach our potential?

Do you genuinely believe Ashley will invest in the summer?

If he doesn’t, will your stance of ‘supporting Ashley’ change?

• 7 beermonkey // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Ciaran

ashleys tenure at at the club has been a disaster
    were not the only club to have crap owners

were entering potentially a new era what with all the cash
    if and its a big if, if he does as he said he would when he took over he would let us spend what we make
    how long will it take for peoples opinion changes
    or if it ever will

I would be happy to have an owner that made regular investments and maximised the our brand

• 8 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM

TDS

Cisse and LDJ is like comparing apples and oranges. Cisse’s contributions were based on goals, whereas LDJ’s are being based on performances.

It is easy to spot a good CF. A good CF recognises the space taken by his strike partner, works in tandem with him and shows good feet, awareness and aerial strength – all of which LDJ has shown, none of which Cisse has ever shown, because they are 2 different types of strikers.

What I do know is that for 8.5 million I would have LDJ every day of the week because it is a position which we vitally need investment in. If we sign Gomis on a free there is nothing to suggest that the money ‘saved’ on that deal would be appropriated elsewhere on a further signing – if anything, recent transfer windows would suggest otherwise.

Even if we were paid to sign Gomis, I would not want him. The man is a slightly younger, slightly better version of Shola. I.e He’s pants.

• 9 oldbobaycliffe // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM

watching the england match the panel of experts all praised southampton saying how good they are yet they currently stand 4 points behind us and we did not spend what southampton did so why have we no faith in pardew he must be dong something right

• 10 Ben3arfa // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Papiss is finished

De Jong will score before the end of the season .

• 11 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Anyway Ashley Out, new signings In and all that jazz, I couldn’t be arsed going over it all again because it falls on deaf ears every time.

If someone, after 7 years, still supports Ashley then I really question their judgement and their decision making. I would venture a guess that there are a few choice decisions in other aspects but we’ll not go there.

Ashley is poisonous for the long term future of this club and I want him gone.

On that bombshell I am out of here.

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Pardew…you know you bear some responsibility for players underperforming, dreadful tactics and uninspiring subs.

…you want the players to start scoring then start with the man in the mirror.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Cairan

A Few facts about Halls and Shepherds….

Totals made from Newcastle United in a 6 year period

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451
    That equals over &7 million per year

In summary what Shepherd left was a club that was losing over £30m a year, had debts of £70m, had no assets they could borrow more money against, and had a set of players on long, lucrative contracts. Ashley can get rid of the debt but the £30m annual losses with over paid players will take longer to sort out.

Figures compiled with assistance of Ian Ferguson from the now defunct website http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Charlie

Did you see my response to you in the last thread?

• 15 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Last point to Charlie

When Shepherd left, yes the club was losing 30m a year, and had made a similar loss the year before, but a substantially lesser loss the year before that. Who is to say that Shepherd would not have addressed this deficit in due course without selling to Ashley?

Yes Shepherd and the Halls paid themselves handsomely and some people take great exception to that, I myself think that the club would not have even been in the position it was in for them to do that had it not been for Sir John Hall taking the club by the scruff of the neck and dragging it, alongside Kevin Keegan, into the riches of the Premier League.

We would not have our fantastic stadium if it was not for Sir John Hall, and thanks to Ashley selling ground around SJP we will now never see it expanded beyond its current capacity.

Just because Halls/Shepherd weren’t fantastic owners in your eyes, does not automatically make Ashley a good owner.

I asked you what makes Ashley a good owner and you have failed to answer that question – because it cannot be answered, not with any semblance of common sense at least.

• 16 toon kk // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Does anyone know how many goals Gomis has scored for his club so far this season?

• 17 Markaccus // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Its the same old same old re ashley.

Yes our books are healthy, but the guy just keeps making stupid football related mistakes, and has no care for the history of the club, nor its traditions. NUFC stands for marketing these days, there is no pride or honour left.

• 18 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Toon doon Sooth

Yeah I agree that Ashledy is not the best communicator link between club and fans and alienates people but I am willing to support him because I think we are slowly building in a very good football team with sound finaces…. and I am wooried if he sells and we get some complete utter shitester in.

Better the devil you know!!!!

• 19 mindshaft // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Sunderland are likely to escape relegation simply due to the fact that Cardiff and Fulham are near certs to go down and Sunderland probably have the easiest run in

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Ciaran

SJH deserves massive credit for what he did and he is more responsible for that exciting period in the 90s even more than Keegan. Keegan was lucky to be involved at that time as was every player that we bought but the combination between SJH, Keegan and the players was electric. Just a shame that it didn’t result in the silverware that it deserved!

But it’s been a decline since he gave up control to Douglas Hall and FFS. Even a world class manager in SBR could only arrest that slide so much and for so long.

Judging the quality of something, it has to be compared to others. Our squad is awesome compared to 25 years ago, we’d probably win the league with this team, but compared to the current teams, we’re probably where we deserve to be in 8th.

• 21 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Charlie

I’ll agree with the better the devil you know comment as I’m one of those people who isn’t demanding that he leaves. We’re stable on the business front, but we do need more stability on the football front (Pardew headbutting, JFK ranting, DoF changes, poor transfer decisions, fan discontent, sponsor issues etc.)

I don’t support him any more than I support the owner of Tesco just because I shop there.

• 22 Markaccus // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Mindshaft

After a few games of the season, my 3 teams to go down were Sunderland, Palace and Fulham. In any order :D

I still think Sunderland will go, but i think cardif will replace Palace.
    If like you say, Cardif and fulham do go down and makems survive,, who would be your 3rd team? Palace? Or do you have someone else in mind?

• 23 catchy in norway // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew

I think pardews tactics should bare more of the blame than the players, I think the players will score goals given chances and some confidence,
    the very fact that we have the highest number of shots from outside the area and the lowest in the area should tell you we don’t create a lot for our strikers,

also, cisse has had at least 3 goals ruled offside when they were good goals..

he is not so bad, he just goes on the pitch knowing he has to score with maybe his only chance

• 24 Shadow_Shearer // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Big LDJ looks a good player. He’s getting better with every game. It’s gonna take him time to get to his prolific best, the form he showed in Holland. Same way it took Debuchy time to settle and start showing his best.

• 25 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM

TDS

Without Keegan we’d have been relegated into the old Third Division in the 1991/92 season. SJH was massively important to us reaching the Premier League, but Keegan is the reason we got there.

SBR arrested the decline, in the sense that we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th under SBR, so I would say that we weren’t in decline under wor Bobby.

It was the ludicrous managerial appointments, poor signings, followed by the woeful management of the club by Ashley that saw a steady decline turn into a disastrous crash out of the Premier League.

We don’t have better players in our squad than those we had when Keegan had us competing for the league. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Vurnon Anita or Rob Lee?
    Loic Remy or Alan Shearer?
    Papiss Cisse or Les Ferdinand?
    Ben Arfa or Peter Beardsley?
    Yoan Gouffran or David Ginola?
    Mike Williamson or Phillipe Albert?

We have some very good individuals in our squad, a squad which is very weak in certain areas, and one which Keegan could undoubtedly do much better with than Pardew, but better than the one we had in 1995/96? Not in my eyes.

• 26 croftus5678 // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM

i agree luuk does a hell of a lot more for us than just score !

he should have had 3 assists and a goal atleast by now if it was not for stupid misses and sissoko getting in ahead of him for the goal.

if we sign remy and luuk i’d be happy with remy/luuk/goofy combination tbh.

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Toon
    Agree stable on the finance side
    On the field got a good team but need to build
    Manager I think he is a good manager – just needs to control his temper. players seem to like him
    PR – needs to be a lot, lot better

• 28 toon kk // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM

For those people who stand by Ashley they Need to think again. The financial success is fare enough but on the whole he’s destroying the club as we knew it.
    So many p.d off fans can’t be good for any club.
    not saying he should brake the bank but two loan signings in two transfer windows isn’t just saving money it’s taking the p.ss out of devoted fans.

• 29 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ciaran

25 years I said. That takes us back to 1989. Players these days are fitter and drawn from all over the world. Top foreigners mostly stayed in their countries but these days they are driven to the richest leagues. The winner of the league in 1989 would obviously have been the best team in the country that year but I think quite a few teams in the current PL would win it instead.

You can only judge a team by comparing it to its peers, that’s what I mean. So comparing our team to others, I think it’s 8th best, comparing our owner to others I’d say he’s average or just below average for overall contribution. Financially stable but pathetic communication with fans.

• 30 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Charlie

Be careful about saying you’re an Ashley supporter on here though, it’s a bit like entering shark infested water with a paper cut…

• 31 Shadow_Shearer // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Sad to say, but there is no chance the fat man will fork out 8.5 million for LDJ. He’d rather keep that to buy his doughnut and pies.

Cisse will be kept as fat boy forked out 9 million on him. This season our main strikers are LDJ and remy. Next season it’s Gomis and cisse.

• 32 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

TDS

Apologies, I skim read that part, because I didn’t understand why someone would compare our team now to a team that was relegated to the Second Division.

A starker comparison would be to compare our 1989 team to our 1996 team. Our 1996 team was sensational in comparison to that one so I don’t know what point you’re trying to make.

Ashley is better than McKeag?

• 33 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Ciaran

I’m comparing our team now to the team than won the league in 1989. Did you read my last post?

• 34 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:56 PM

TDS

I also recognise that this is your way of subtly saying ‘compare our squad to every other team in the league and we are exactly where we should be’

You do realise that if Ashley invested more, we would have a stronger squad and in relative terms should be competing higher in the league.

Just because you believe, on the basis of the strength of our squad, that we should be 8th, does not mean that is good enough.

• 35 catchy in norway // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Ciaran

this is something I don’t want to argue about, as I believe player for player no question, id take the older KK group,

but I also think that its a little unfair to match them up under the guidance of pardew, KK played if your score 3 im going to score 4 attitude, maximising his attacking prowess , under pardew I feel we have some great attacking players that are being shackled with defensive duties before there natural attacking instincts,

there are only 2 players in our current squad that I don’t think have anything to offer us as a group,
    Obertan
    Shola
    the rest , whilst not being the very best, there not a bad group, id love a real manager to get them and play to there strengths and not just try and fit them in,

Sissoko, really good game last week, his best for a while and nearly all the good work came from him playing more centrally driving at them, he is wasted out on the right

• 36 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Toon

I know
    But I try to point out that Newcastle United are doing OK – compared to a lot of other teams that have spent billions changed managers and that’s just to stay in the premiership.

Don’t think I will agree with Ciaran and Ashley but give Ciaran his due he argues his point/corner and backs it up not like some others.

Now is the time to cement a top six spot and maybe win a cup

BUT – I am a realist and to get into the top four we would have to spend a fortune year in year out.

Running a football club is like have a credit card – MAGIC – the bank has increased my limit from 10,000 to 20,000 lets spend up to the max.
    Then OH DEAR I cannot pay back interest never mind my monthly payments

And that’s what got a lot of people into debt in the credit crunch.
    and a lot of teams in the mire.

And what frightens me is that a lot of people think we should spend spend spend and that means trouble if you cannot finance it

• 37 NEoffers.co.uk // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM

With no NUFC game on this weekend get your weekend plans with us and bag a bargain !

• 38 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Ciaran

Subtly saying it? That’s exactly what I said, I’m not being subtle at all! But that wasn’t my point. My point was all about comparison, seriously did you read it?

Compare our squad to the rest of the league and I’d say we’re 8th best but compare it to the teams in say 1995 and we’d be in the top 4 at least. Compare our current owner to SJH and he’s dreadful, compare him to more contemporary owners like those at Hull, Cardiff etc. and he’s not all that bad. Other recent owners that fans have had isuess with are at Pompey, Leeds, Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd.

It’s not about Ashley investing more. I don’t expect him to put his own money into it. It’s about the club spending more. We’ve been spending what we get in, but now we all know (as do selling clubs) that we have significant money this summer. We have to expect that will be invested in the playing squad. No argument there at all.

• 39 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Charlie

You’re right mostly. But you have to think about the mistakes that Ashley has made and why some fans hate him and most are certainly not warm towards him. I’ve argued the same points as you mate but I certainly wouldn’t say that I am an Ashley supporter, just don’t agree with the irrational (at times) hatred that is directed at him.

• 40 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Toon
    trouble is too many fans have become entrenched as Ashley haters
    and Ashley has become entrenched in his views and there is no meeting place

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Charlie

You’re right. Which is why I criticise Ashley and I criticise the supporters who are entrenched and totally negative.

• 42 BeeGuy // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Bring back Nile Ranger, he can do the job!

• 43 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM

The season not ended yet newcastle can still win a place in europe alan pardews only bargd into a big plank so it should al blow over shortly the players like alan by the look of it and this dutch kid delong he reminds me of an old fashioned target man

• 44 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM

TDS

My point is that that point is utterly pointless. Compare our team to Brazil 1970 and our lot would be fitter and would probably give them a game.

Also compare our owner to Southampton’s, Everton’s, Swansea’s and he’s much, much worse.

Ashley is akin to Tan and Allam, not different from which puts him among the worst owners in the league.

• 45 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:10 PM

TDS/Charlie

Also, perhaps it would be well worth considering that those of whom you consider to be ‘entrenched’ in their views, were not always so ardently against Ashley.

Some of these people sat on the fence about him. Some of these people were willing to give him time to correct some mistakes he may have made. Some were willing to see what direction he would take the club.

Some of these people, after 7 years, have said enough is enough and have concluded that Ashley is not good for this club.

Why should these people be open to closed minded ire?

• 46 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Mike ashly has alan pardew one of the best english manager but he gives him no money for talent the fella gets the lickins of a dog off old ash hes tighter than a neck lock

• 47 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Its a wander ash hasnt give alan a ration.book thats how tight he is

• 48 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM

With some further training Ashley could probably run a lawn tennis society for girls 10 and under.

• 49 mindshaft // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Markaccus

Sadly for Hughton I think Norwich will be the 3rd team to go down, they have by far the hardest games remaining.
    Palace, Mackems and West Brom play each other and teams in bottom half so I guess if one of them have a bad run they could go but as Norwich have Liverpool/Manure/Chelsea and Arsenal for last 4 games I reckon it’ll be them

• 50 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Geordie2 I dont get that tennis thing

• 51 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Ashley has brought financial stability to the club. Also one mountainous pile of SD hoardings, a brilliant DoF, and a thousand wonderful memories of long domestic cup runs. Beautiful.

• 52 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Me neither rex. What was I thinking? Surely it will come back to me?

• 53 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Ashley feels that spending money on a ration book would be wasteful rex mat. :(

• 54 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Never mind it’s old age geordie2

• 55 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Don’t worry mindshaft Norwich won’t go down. They are a classic 16th place team. They remind me so much of us last season. Beautiful.

• 56 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

@Ciaran

When has Ashley ever not invested in a business about to go bust. That’s what he does. Gets a failing business, turns them round, sells them on. He buys on the spur of the moment to get a cheaper price, as if he does due diligence, other bidders will push price up once it becomes public knowledge they are going bust.

Shepperd owed the banks £100m, had wages higher than earnings, was paying £10m a year interest on loans, and had spent all our sponshorship revenue for the years ahead. He’d got in all this debt handing Souness a fortune of banks money and buying trophy signings like Kluivert without consulting his manager. Yet he was still paying himself and family a fortune even though we were sinking. With the recession the banks had told him no more loans and that he had to start paying it back. This would have had to come out his own pocket and there’s no way he would have done that.

I expect us to challenge around 6th to 8th for the next few seasons, steadily getting better, with an occasional push for 4th/ 5th.

• 57 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Bottom 3 fulham cardiff wba

• 58 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:40 PM

That should read rex mate @53. I’m off to a poor start today.

• 59 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

What about an occoassional push for 16th like last season TnMW mate @56?

• 60 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Old age creeps up geordie2

• 61 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Next season is looking very promising for a drop in the league standings. No decent striker of our own and a clueless penny pinching owner.

• 62 mindshaft // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

@rex – could certainly be wba – they are the draw specialists with an amazing 13 draws which is way more than anyone else – if they can’t start turning some of them into wins they’ll be doomed

• 63 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Aye rex, except in my case it hit me over the head with a large mallet.

• 64 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Ive got a tenner on livapool to win league at 16/1

• 65 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

The thing I like most about Mike Ashley is that he usually hides in his castle so we don’t have to look at his ugly mug too often. And he’s afraid to come to his own ground.

• 66 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:48 PM

That’s a nice return rex if it happens. I could see them finishing 3rd. Great manager who is building a fine team. A lot like Pardew with us. Not.

• 67 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Things will look better if we get a manager who knows how to work with flair players. We had a squad capable of doing well last season, but the manager attempted to get Ben Arfa, Cabaye, & Cisse to play like the old Wimbledon. You have to be stupid to try to get a team that goes 40 odd games without scoring a corner to play long ball, and that’s our boss.

• 68 toonking // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM

@charlie 2
    “Three clubs who I think are well run without spending billions are Everton, Newcastle and Arsenal.”

I agree in the sense that we, like everton and arsenal, can manage to do do quite well with a lack of spending. Sadly that’s only part of the story what you forget is newcastle have for the last 3 seasons sold our most important player and despite all the warning signs and time to plan for a replacement he still fails to do so.

• 69 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Pardew’s position is impossible to be honest. The owner is on cloud cuckoo land and always will be. Who could trust that twat? He is alone for a reason. Nobody can stand him

• 70 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Next Mike Williamson

Too many assumptions and not enough iron clad facts in that statement.

Take a little look at the last published accounts before Mike Ashley bought the club.

Feel free to examine the previous PLC annual reports going back a few years prior as well. Don’t believe the rubbish that is being spouted about Ashley saving the club. He didn’t

• 71 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Mike Ashley with his entire group of friends. That’s him playing solitaire then.

• 72 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM

What is interesting prior to Ashley taking over the club is that NUFC managed to raise £11.2 million from sponsorship alone. Given how the only paying sponsors at the club are Wonga and Puma, how much are we losing out on sponsorship every season due to Ashley’s offsetting the interest on his loan?

Bigger picture needs to be looked at here people.

• 73 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM

@ Geordie Two

Why torture yourself living in next seasons doom when it hasn’t happened.

• 74 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I’ve heard Mike Ashley is very polite until he gets behind you. And then he stabs you in the back.

• 75 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Mindshaft
    Personally think it will be Fulham Cardiff and The Mackems

Tomorrow’s game between Fulham and Cardiff will essentially be confirmation for one if those two as can’t see either stringing a few wins together
    The Mackems have been in there best form for years under Poyet and still can’t move out the bottom 3
    Everytime they look to have done it Palace/Norwich/Villa seem to sneak a point to keep them at arms length, they do have 2 games in hand but still fancy them for the drop
    It’s a toss up between them and Norwich at this stage

• 76 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I don’t live in it TnMW. I’m just pointing out the obvious. We’ve had good seasons (one) and bad (several) under Ashley and it looks very much like he’s learned nothing from past mistakes. Hiring Joe as DoF after 6 years as owner. Come off it. The man is a fool.

• 77 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Optimism is good at times but realism is better. That way you don’t get completely caught off guard when we finish 16th. An idiot like Ashley will never learn what a wonderful opportunity he had owning Newcastle United.

• 78 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Ciara’s
    Sponsorship for me is still a massive issue

Only skimmed the minutes but what the hell were they on about not finding a sponsor more lucrative than the £129 mil debt???

What the hell does the debt have to do with anything?
    Is he saying I’ve given x amount so should be allowed to advertise? If that’s the case surely it’s not debt but should be classed as profit from commercial revenue?

• 79 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Enough of stating the obvious at any rate. I look forward to a good game against Fulham. They won’t be pushovers now so it should be competitive at their ground. It shows what can happen to a veteran laden team with Fulham. The collapse can be very sudden.

• 80 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Tads

My reading of that is that he is comparing what the club would have had to pay in interest if the same loan was coming from the bank, and that free advertising comes in lieu of that interest.

If a company comes in looking to advertise at SJP they must have to pay over what the interest repayments would have been had they been from the bank. Could be the wrong way to read that, but it would not surprise me in the slightest.

However, I think Ashley is only concerned in stretching out this method of running the club for as long as possible. He is doing the club no favours by not paying off the debt and as supporters we should be actively putting pressure on him to reduce the size of the debt so to entice potential investors.

• 81 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM

He’s playing a massive con game with the supporters. Nothing illegal but we will never get rid of him the way he runs things. A massive personal debt which never gets paid off means he can claim he never gets a big enough offer to sell. So he will endlessly use us as free advertising. Look at what has happened to his personal wealth in the last few years. It has skyrocketed.

• 82 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM

He is a different kind of parasite to Freddy but definitely a parasite. Like having a leech attached to your Johnson for the rest of your life.

• 83 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM

What happens when Carr retires though? What connections does Ashley have in the scouting world? None, would be my guess. Carr is about 70 now isn’t he? Will he really stay for the full 8 years and if not who comes next?

• 84 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Ciaran

Like i said i only skimmed the minutes but sounds about right
    The sad thing is if he actually tried, he has shown what he can do
    The business he has done in the market has been fantastic, don’t think many would argue that, but it’s the business he hasn’t done which attracts the attention because he simply has done enough

Yes there are costs to signing players, you knew this when you bought a PL football club!
    If you sell a player then you replace a player, that window, not two windows later!

But the biggest gripe is the way he has systematically broken up the stadium set up, it’s a library now, that for me was his way of taking away the fans voice
    The bloke is in it solely for the money and the club will always come second, can’t wait for the day he sells up and f**ks off!

• 85 toonking // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM

the teams i’m thinking will go down this season could be fulham, cardiff and palace.

when looking at sunderlands home games their is only 1 i’m thinking is a loss on paper, that being everton

palace on the other hand have got 3 of the remaining 4 home times being against top teams and they also travel away to sunderland too.

• 86 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Tads

Pushing at an open door my friend. With you every step of the way on that.

People point towards the fact that we’re in the top 10, or have some pretty decent players – All that is immaterial. It is no longer fun to support NUFC, simply because it is a pale imitation of what NUFC actually stands for. It doesn’t matter if we win, lose or draw because it counts towards nothing.

A win is 3 points away from relegation, not 3 points towards Europe.

If we are not looking to achieve anything in the league or in the cups then what are we operating for? Is this a Sports Direct money making racket pretending to function as a football club?

• 87 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I’d be interested to see the books 5 years down the road. Average finish in the league over that time? Around 12th. Total 5 year profit? About 120M pounds. Total cups won? 0. Value of players sold? 100M pounds. Cost of players bought? 50M pounds. Chances of wining anything or getting into the top 5 with Ashley? 0

• 88 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM

God I love almonds…can I have a harrumph for almonds? Maybe even for cashews as well?

…for nuts in general! ;)

• 89 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM

…we are even a bit nuts ;) harrumph!

• 90 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Ciaran

I dont post much on here, the main reason being that it tends to break down into a slagging match between two extremely biased views. Personally, I think both sides of the argument your making, and the argument your attacking, have pros and cons.

I think the Hall/Shepard era was extremely enjoyable for most – the football was attractive, there were big money signings that of course fans like, there was a passionate local presence at the very top of the club. This however doesnt mean there weren’t negatives. They obviously struggled managing finances – and wether the ‘myth’ regarding administration is true or not, running a company that has over 3 years made a year-on-year increasing loss, coupled with a debt amount of over £100million, certainly can’t be viewed as successful. Now you argue that Shepard could just as much sorted out finances like ashley had, and I agree – he could of, but there is no evidence of him being able to do something like that – ultimately we will never know and is also a ‘myth’. The point being here – fans care more about the pitch than the pennies. Playing well? Happy fans! Playing poorly? Unhappy fans! The thing is, you can enjoy being happy, but when unhappy you find things to moan about(‘you’ being anyone, not yourself).

Now, under ashley there has been some serious negative decisions, and I’m not going to list them because some really do make me wince. But there have also been some fantastic ones too, which again I’m not going to put into a list. What you can clearly see from the two eras is that previously we had local, football minded/passionate owners who wanted to see newcastle united at the very top – no matter the cost, or the consequences. Also you can tell that our current owner isnt a local, football focused person. He is an extremely good businessman(unarguably) and has fantastic business sense. You can also see that he has an extremely poor football brain. Over his time as a businessman he has put a lot of faith in his inner circle of friends, however this time his football-focused side kicks simply haven’t had a clue and led him to crazy decisions. However ashley has to sign the dotted line on all decisions, so he must accept some responsibility, but so do Shepard and hall.

The point of everything here is that everyone has good points and bad attributes, made good/bad decisions and took right and wrong paths. This doesn’t make everyone a failure.

The rise of the internet, social media, smartphones, etc have also dramatically changed the way news, rumours, truths and lies, and every else is communicated. This has only really become huge around the ashley era, so that could certainly play a part in why it seems more pronounced than other eras, maybe not.

Personally, I’ve bitten my tongue through the bad points, enjoyed the good, and waited for a good/bad point when things have been neutral. All waiting for the summer transfer window that is now only a few months away. I’ve been waiting for this window since the original announcement of the prize money issues for this season. My view on ashley will only be decided by what I see in the summer. Recent events have made this even more exciting, with currently only ashley and pardew(other than the irrelevant club secretary, charnley) in the ‘board’ for signing players. No ashley chums fooling him into thinking they are football geniuses, no lunatics spouting utter garbage without the ability to say his clubs employees names milking money from him. This means that unless someone is appointed by the window, with the assistance of carrs reports, only pardew and ashley will be involved in the signing process. This, in my opinion, will let us all see just how ashley himself wants the club run. Until then, I’m sitting on a very thin and rickety fence waiting on how our financial prowess will actually be used.

I believe others should too, as this could be the best opportunity we will have to see his true intentions.

P.s – sorry for the essay lol

• 91 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I guess almonds is not your thing then!

• 92 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Spot on jesper mate. I was beginning to wonder what you were up to? So it’s nuts for you then? Dry almonds are excellent for the health. The thought of wet almonds doesn’t do anything for me at any rate. I’m not having much luck convincing some of our fellow bloggers that Ashley is a bad, bad man. Any thoughts?

• 93 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM

…I suppose they are not even a nut!

they just pretend to be one ;) when in fact they are a legumes!

• 94 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Harrumph!.

…I am with you all the way there mate, both about the dry/wet almond predicament and the fact that Mr. Ashley is a bad bad man :(

• 95 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM

toonking @87
    Until this season Arsenal – Sold Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas
    Everton – Fellini – Tim Cahill bought no one in particular but very good at picking up loan players.

And the spuds sold Bale to finance this season

• 96 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Wow now that’s what I call a post studsy @90 and well thought out. A good summary of our 7 years of strange goings on under Ashley. Businessman: unquestionable success. Football owner: unquestionable failure to excel with any aspect of the club.

• 97 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Does anybody have anything to add about almonds?

• 98 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I would like to take a moment now to thank all of you who have elected me to the position of Official Blog Hobbit. It’s a great honour and I will do my very best to make you all proud. I have naturally extremely hairy feet so I feel very comfortable in my new position.

• 99 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Studsy

A very rational, well thought our argument putting out both sides of the argument.

However, while diplomacy can be seen on one hand to be seeking to strike a compromise, one of the fundamental aspects of diplomacy is to represent your own views and strike the best deal for yourself and the people on your side. I don’t feel taking a ‘wait and see’ approach is in any way helpful moving forward, if anything I find a ‘wait and see’ as inherently wrong given what we have witnessed in the last 7 years.

If people cannot see what Ashley’s true intentions for the club after this long, then I am afraid they choose not to see it as far as I am concerned. Perhaps some do have a higher level of tolerance than others, but to me it is being dismissive of strong evidence in order to maintain a ‘balanced/on the fence’ mentality.

I respect the time and effort, and eloquence that went into your post, refreshing to see it, but I must say that I disagree with the stance that you take.

• 100 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I have an extremely large amount to add about almonds jesper mate but right now I’m blathering on about being Official Blog Hobbit.

• 101 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I very rarely object to anybody’s stance no matter how odd. However if your stance involves spreading your legs wide then I recommend not bending over if wearing a kilt or miniskirt (depending on your sex of course). Harrumph.

• 102 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Studsy
    Sadly we’ve played wait and see for four windows, the only thing we’ve seen is mass panic buying to stay in the league

During those 2 seasons the club have also announced multiple targets that have included regularly competing in Europe, then simply PL survival, now just finish in the top half

Are targets don’t seem to dovetail with where the squad is more they see to custom fit how much he has decided to either spend or sell that window
    We then spend the season hearing about our lack of signings or losing a player from all involved at the club

• 103 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Did you know for example that the fruit of the almond is called a drupe? Well now you do, without even having to look it up on Wiki.

• 104 dufuss // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM

mark almond titter

• 105 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:56 PM

You know there is a lot more involved in being Official Blog Hobbit than just having extremely hairy feet. Oh yes, let me tell you….. Now where was I? Oh yes, well I have to interact with a lot of other Blog Hobbits, I have to make sure to get plenty of nourishment, including copious beverage. I could go on and on in fact but I’m rather tired now. I’ll just take short nap. Lovely.

• 106 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM

GT…haha! No I did not know that, but I knew it was s legumes and not a nut!

• 107 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Also almonds are very rich in vitamin E. Eat some everybody. Do it now…..I’ll wait.

• 108 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I love wearing vests also by the way.

• 109 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Ciaran

The thing is, nobody knows his true intentions. You yourself say people are failing to see them, unlike yourself who has? Of course you haven’t. You, your brain and your mindset has come up with an assumption, calculated based on as much information that it has to do so. As have I, and everyone else. Nobody other than ashley knows this.

I dont believe it is wrong to sit on the fence, as the way owners are mainly judged is based on what their acquisitions are in the windows, management choices and the correlation between that and what happens on the pitch. As I said before, most fans think highly of the previous era because on the whole those criteria were met, with a good sum of money and mostly good acquisitions. This was done with the borrowing approach. If they wanted someone, they didn’t invest that money out their pocket, they borrowed it against the clubs assets so they could have it instantly. Perfectly fine if you progress to a winning position in a major competition and it is financially rewarding, but it didn’t turn out so and ended in major financial uncertainty.

Ashley has done the opposite. He has turned the club around financially, to the point where the club can afford the same type of financial investment that we expected from hall and Shepard, without the need to borrow money to do so. That couldn’t happen in 12 months, the financial side of nufc was in tatters(I’m certainly not saying its perfect now) and through a percentage of his own fault, the relegation season didn’t help Ashley’s vision of how the clubs finances needed to be.

Now, just as we as fans base a majority of our decisions around (the money spent, the players bought, etc)on how the previous era performed quite well, ashley has now gotten the club in a financial situation where he has the chance to ‘shine’. His view meant we needed to wait a few years before he can make the hall/Shepard style signings. Rather than borrowing every penny of it. And based on the upcoming window we will see if he does ‘shine’ or if he simply hammers the final nail into his own coffin.

• 110 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM

A lot of you on here have been complaining about posters who do not adhere strictly to the footy only posting rule. As Official Blog Hobbit I can keep an eye on that as well….. I’ll get back to you all.

• 111 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:04 PM

GT…I just did and it was delicious ;)

• 112 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Studsy mate @109 I find it extremely uncomfortable to sit on the fence. Expecially those pointy ones. I’ve tried it but I always leap off immediately. It’s not for me.

• 113 toonking // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM

charlie
    when spurs sold bale they spent that money on new players, everton have loan player but them loan players are likely to be bought, arsenal sold robin van persie but they brought in olivier gioud

the one thing that neither arsenal or everton owner do is get into a transfer window which will be panic buying which newcastle faced last season and are going to face again in the summer.

why would an owner who’s team is showing very good signs of getting into europe all of the sudden sell the most important player we needed.

we are the first team to not spend any money at all on a transfer in either windows of the one season.

the thing that shows how poor he really is, is the chrisis we will have this summer because the stupidity of him with contracts and planning when a player is sold their is no way that any team should be more active than us.

• 114 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM

GT…while you are eating almonds or just in general?

…where do you stand on cashews? I always thought macadamia nuts where a bit overstated though and way to pricy!

• 115 LGFUAD21 // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I’m with Ciaran.

MA had a rough start but I think he’s actually doing some good things for this club. It’s frustrating seeing a lack of ambition and summer after we finished 5th was the time to invest but he has eventually brought a solid platform to work on. I hope he genuinely does want to push on. Investments in the academy can only be a good sign.

As for the sports direct ads. Well given the interest free loan I don’t really blame him for reaping some rewards back. As tacky as the brand is.

As for the renaming thing. Yes it’s a shame as sjp is a historic ground but it is the fact that arsenal switched to emirates ( and sold the rights) that they are in such a strong financial position. Making profits and can still afford to spend 40 mil on Ozil.

It’s a frustrating strategy ask any arsenal fan but if it works then 10 years down the line we can begin to challenge. But patience has never been a strong point for toon fans.

As for fat Freddy. He was just as bad. Complete ego maniac. Slated the fans behind our backs. Started the rot with silly signings. Let’s not forget the sacking of bobby. We were on a downward spiral before MA took over.

Yes if prefer someone a little more openly ambitious (I say openly because we do t know what is on Ashley’s mind) but we should be a bit more grateful. Ahaley is only as good as the advise he’s received from charnley, llambias and JFK

• 116 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Can anybody on here lend me an atomic force microscope, some jellied eels, and a clean pair of socks? Thanks in advance. My research is going well by the way. Even with my new duties as Official Blog Hobbit (there I go ringing my own bell again).

• 117 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Ok having quickly looked into this whole non football related posting thing the biggest culprit seems to be this lad called jesperfuglsang? I’m going to have a quiet word with him (over a bowl of lovely almonds). He seems quite cooperative so we should expect some much more pertinent comments from him in the near future. Harrumph!

• 118 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Studsy

To say that simply because Ashley has not expressed vocally his true intentions, or that I myself do not have access to the inner workings of his mind, does not mean that we cannot form a reasonable assumption of what his plans are for this club.

If we all took the attitude that you are putting forward then none of us would form an opinion. You form conclusions based on the evidence at hand, and the evidence at hand is rather damning of those who think Ashley wishes NUFC to succeed.

Selling your best building blocks, and failing to replace those building blocks either immediately, or with blocks of lesser quality does not represent building towards something. Not investing in a team after it has finished 5th does not intimate ambition. Failing to accept offers from sponsors simply because he wishes to continue the free advertising for his primary interest does not indicate that he truly cares about the growth of Newcastle United.

He has got Newcastle United financially stable, but for what purpose? Is it for the purpose that we create a solid platform from which to spring ourselves to the next step, or is it to maintain self-sufficiency so he can then use NUFC as a recognisable brand with which he can leech from and use as a piggy-back for Sports Direct?

I know what stance I am going to take, and better still, the evidence would seem to support my point of view. Sitting on the fence is as damaging as defending Ashley in my point of view.

• 119 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Ash should back alan in transfers the fella has never had any money if he can finish 7th with nowt then a few quid could make newcastle a top side

• 120 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM

LGFUAD

I think you are completely misrepresenting my views entirely.

• 121 LGFUAD21 // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Ok not with Ciaran. Think I misread his posts even though he argues his case well so I give him a fist bump for that. Makes a change from some of the posts on here seeing reasoning and critical thinking

• 122 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM

There’s a few on here that like typin they must start typin in the morning to get through that lot

• 123 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM

LGFUAD
    There is absolutely no room for reasoning or critical thinking on this blog

Next you’ll be saying you want to see posts based around some form of logic

• 124 toonking // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:20 PM

what i mean by panic buying in newcastle’s terms is rather than planning ahead we instead decide to wait until it has happened then start the panic buying.

last year we knew we were in europe and needed to grow the squad. he decided wait until it actually happened then would spend.

• 125 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Can anyone on here give me a brief explanation of string theory? Possibly in 1 sentence or less? I’m working on something I call twine theory so I just wondered if they are related? Not sisters or anything but possibly 2nd cousins?

• 126 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Alans a expirenced manager he probably asks ash for decent players ash most likely knocks him back

• 127 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Since comments has to be football related then let me rephrase ‘do you lot like to eat almonds when discussing’ football related stuff’? ;)

…GT could you pass the almonds please?

• 128 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I also have a very important article on pocket lint I’m putting together. Hope to get it published in the Guardian under an assumed name or nom de plum of course. And no it’s not Thongman Mr. Tuff.

• 129 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Almonds I heard alan likes a nut (ha ha)

• 130 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM

That’s much better jesper and yes I will pass the almonds. But give them back. Not like last time. I like to lean into my stance slowly to avoid injury. I put one leg forward, bend at the knee, and then raise one hand to me eyes. Then I look for any signs of sanity returning to our owner.

• 131 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:30 PM

GT mate…this is as short ad I can do it but basically String theory uses a model of one-dimensional strings in place of the particles of quantum physics!

Harrumph!

• 132 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Ciaran

I really hope you don’t think I’m condoning all the things youve posted, or that I’m a ‘pro-ashley-ist-orite’ because I’m not fickle enough to be banded into categories such as those.

Your building blocks case doesn’t exactly work, because if someone offered me an overly high price for one of the bricks in my house, I would sell it to them. Then go buy another brick at market value to replace it. But better still, if I was offered a brick at market value, that had the ability to possibly turn into a better brick, that would certainly be the way to go?

The other thing that didn’t quite get me from your post is this:

We simply don’t know, which is why now that the club has finally(albeit through awkward and annoying times) reached Ashley’s goal of not only being stable, but making a large profit, can we only rationally make that decision. We will for the first time see the club in the position ashley wanted us to be in, which means we can only make accurate assumptions based on what he does with the club in this position.

• 133 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Ah I see jesper @131, Then I think my twine theory is not related. My theory basically says that the piece of twine you have available will be just too short to tie up the package you just finished wrapping.

• 134 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM

GT…does your theory use a one dimensional model of twine? ;) lol

• 135 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM

How long is a peice of string

• 136 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Studsy

This was financial position from June of last year – so knowing that we had made a 10 million pound profit going into this summer transfer window, and with the knowledge that we would be making a sizeable increase in turnover due to TV revenue why then did we not make a single permanent signing.

I once advocated the ‘wait and see’ approach. It doesn’t work and only leads to disappointed.

• 137 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM

LGFUAD21

All good points. Like you say, it doesn’t justify everything, but there is rational reasons behind whatever ashley has done – whether it turned out good or bad

• 138 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Rex…These strings are the size of the Planck length (i.e. 10-35 m)

• 139 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Planck thats that fella alan banjoed at hull

• 140 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:40 PM

My twine is much longer. Not as long as a plank but just short enough to not be useful.

• 141 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Lovely comments rex. Jesper you’re confusing us mate. Are you talking about planks or strings? What kind of structures are you building over there in Denmark mate? :)

• 142 mindshaft // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Have to agree that Ashley didn’t save the club, financially we were in debt but only half the debt we’re in now
    Ashley’s mistakes are responsible for doubling the debt.
    I understand Sheppard and co were ultimately spending future years cash now but would we really be in a worse position than now?
    Certainly wouldn’t have sports direct plastered all over the ground never mind not even getting paid for it

• 143 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM

As long as there’s enough to keep your strides up

• 144 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I don’t know hoe to write square root

• 145 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM

*how

• 146 toon kk // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Has anyone seen Gomis play? If so what’s he like and how many goals has he scored so far this season?

It will not bother Mash how good he is on a free.

• 147 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM

GT…as you know my mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

• 148 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Gomis cannot be any worse than amaobi that fella his shooting is shan

• 149 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I’m really happy with how the blog is settling in with me as Official Blog Hobbit. There is great harmony now. People being civil to other people. The benefits of almonds in the diet being discussed. Strange Danish structures being questioned. Beautiful.

• 150 Tsunki // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM

It’s very simple, NUFC Us and always will be Ashleys advertising mule for SD. The league position, buying and selling of players is a long term speculative thing, gambling if you like, juggling the ins and outs to ensure the club stays afloat and fulfils his purpose of serving the greater needs of SD. It hadn’t gone smoothly, we got relegated due to playing the thin squad too close to the wire, and almost happened last season, averted by what has been correctly stated, a panic buy to keep us up, which was a close run thing. The last transfer window exhibits the same brinkmanship thinking, but with a higher position it seems that Ashley feels the odds heavily weighted in his favour this time. However, will he scrimp in the summer, rely on last minute bargains to compensate for last minute too-good-to-refuse offers for one or more of our key players?

One thing is for sure, in the SD world of cut-price tat and selling cheap stuff cheap, to the Cheap, there is neither room nor need for the club to enhance its profile by exhausting cup runs or European competition. The players may dream of it, we may hope for it, but it isn’t going to happen, Mike does not require it and abhors the unnecessary expense it can impose.

The optimum revenue generation of NUFC In the realm of serving SD Is to remain nestled in the 5th to 9th spot, most income, least expenditure.

• 151 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Do you have flood control gates for that jesper mate? A lot of water behind the eyeballs can be very distracting.

• 152 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Hobbit is that short far hobby geordie2

• 153 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Tsunki mate, that’s a very thoughtful, well reasoned post @150. Who wrote it?

• 154 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

…and GT and rex these strings vibrate at a specific resonant frequencies ;)

…Some recent versions of string theory have predicted that the strings could have a longer length, up to nearly a millimeter in size! Harrumph

• 155 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Certainly not rex mate. I take my Official position very seriously. It’s a full time job as far as I’m concerned. With my beverages at hand I can blather on indefinitely you’ll be relieved to know.

• 156 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I once got a letter of the council like that complaining about my leylandy hedge tskunki

• 157 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:53 PM

See, I warned you about those brain floods jesper mate. You’ve got your strings and your twines and your planks mixed up. No good will come from it. Harrumph.

• 158 toon kk // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Tsunki
    Very true read.

• 159 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Come on Tsunki. You’ve got MarkHulkus over there with you helping with the posts haven’t you?

• 160 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:55 PM

GT…it sure can mate!

• 161 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Tsunki…did you just copy paste that mate ;)

• 162 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM

That’s why I question it being from Tsunki toon kk. I think he’s got friends over drinking his beverages and giving him fancy ideas.

• 163 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Ciaran

…why then did we not make a single permanent signing?

Again, your asking for an answer that neither of us or anyone on this blog actually know for fact. One certainly plausible theory is of course the fact that the estimated cost of the training ground redevelopment is ~£8m, which would swallow a majority of them funds, with a £2m overflow to cover any problems. Knowing fine well that in 12months time there will be £50m-£80m in the bank and a big card to play to interest players in joining.

What is your assumption that he has done with that £10m?

Re: Also, why did we sell our best player for what was only his market value especially when we did not need to sell?

We all knew cabaye wanted away, my opinion is that he wasn’t worth quite as much as £20m however that number will be different for a lot of people. We also could of lost him on a free if he wished to run his contract out, or for as little as the mooted £6m it would cost him to buy out his contract. That to me seems like the right deal at the right time.

How would you of dealt with that situation?

The one thing i think we will both agree on however is that it was disasterous that no replacement for cabaye was acquired!

• 164 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM

GT…any though about the Hadron Collider?

• 165 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I’m just a little concerned that Ibiza is spending all his time watching that video of a man fondling his own mipples. Thoughts everyone?

• 166 Tsunki // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM

G2 – I think it was the other me, Ibiza,mate.

It’s all very obvious and depressing isn’t it though? Look at the legacy exploitation he has attempted, for example renaming SJP. It would be naive imho to not think that Wonga were already lined up for the sponsorship before all that happened, as a way of easing a toxic brand through the door and onto the shirt. The utilising of the ‘club’ shop which is just a specialised SD outlet, the renaming of Shearers bar to expunge any memory of former times and to sanitise the club for SD’s future use. The hiring of a mouthpiece average manager with a long payday in exchange for little in the way of decision making, and full co-operation. Alienation of the local press, banning NUST On a pathetic technicality to keep the fans a very long arm reach away. It will continue in this vein.

• 167 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Is that the thing they built next to Hadrian’s Wall to knock it down jesper mate?

• 168 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Aye Tsunki I agree @166. And I don’t like Joe as tea lady either.

• 169 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Alan pardew is a good manager tskuni he just needs some cash

• 170 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM

GT…it sure was mate ;)

…remember you brought up man mipples, so if you got Ibiza hooked you go fix him! lol

• 171 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM

You know jesper on clear nights I like to go outside and look up to get a clear picture of the universe as it was. Beautiful. But then I get a sore neck and have to go back inside for a beverage.

• 172 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I’m not sure he can be cured jesper sadly. I think he has finally found his true calling. Sad to think the travel, the budgie smuggling, it’s all over for Ibiza now. But it’s his own fault. He found that video. He’ll just have to drag himself away from it.

• 173 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Jack Daniel does a canny beverage I call them nip and tuck a few nips then im tucked up in bed (ha ha)

• 174 Tsunki // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Rex no he’s not and yes he does :)

To be fair he’s average. But then that’s all that’s required. Can’t have some hotshot thing the plan by getting us into Europe.

• 175 toon kk // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM

G2
    Have you been out star gazing tonight, got a very stiff neck then ran inside and drank a full bottle of whiskey? ?????

• 176 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:17 PM

You know this reminds me of my time in the Congo hunting rogue rutabagas with Ibiza. Has it really been 20 years? My God. That man could pick off a big bull rutabaga at 50 metres. Now look at him. Huddled over his laptop watching a man massaging his own mipples over and over again. Very sad.

• 177 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM

No, but that might not be a bad idea toon kk mate.

• 178 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Ciaran – i hope this prolonged silence is due to you typing rather than being unable to answer the previous questions with an answer that also fits into your stance.

You would come across a lot more tolerant to some people if you could actually acknowledge anything good done by ashley aswell as twisting certain things to fit your view, without looking at the bigger picture or outside the box. This wont change your stance, but show that you are being rational and reasonable in your stance.

• 179 toon kk // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM

G2
    Whisky sounds good not so sure about the stiff neck mate. Never mind think I’ll have a pint and drown all these sorrows Mash has brought on us all.

• 180 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Top7 pool city chelsea arsnil everton spurs newcastle bottom 3 fulham cardiff wba

• 181 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM

My stance remains the same as well studsy mate. Although sometimes if I get itchy I have to break it down a little and scratch. Ahhh. That’s much better.

• 182 GeordieTwo // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Well I’m off for a bit you’ll be relieved to hear. :)

• 183 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Yes Ibiza has really fallen from grace ;) lol

• 184 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Viagra can give you a stiff neck

• 185 Tsunki // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM

The thing I don’t like about the Hadron Collider is that it’s just too large. It would be good if there was a smaller one somewhere.

• 186 Belfast // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Scratching is usually a sure sign you’ve got a sexually transmitted
    infection geordietwo

• 187 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM

are newcastle after hadron.collided is he any good

• 188 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Tsunki…yes mate 27 km is just too long ;)

• 189 Belfast // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Hanging around the congo with Ibiza, there’s always the risk you’ll catch some kind of disease tbh

• 190 Tsunki // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM

What’s he doing here? There goes the neighborhood…..

• 191 Belfast // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I’m just shooting the breeze Skunki.

• 192 mag // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM

At least that dolt isn’t banging on about convicting pardew with assault.

• 193 studsy // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Wow ive seemed to silence Ciaran with my previous posts…might start on politicians next!

• 194 mag // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM

@193 good luck with Cameron.

• 195 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Mar 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM

toon k k at 146 gomis has scored i think 16 or 17. 10 of them definitely in the league in 20 starts rest in europe or cups .i have seen him play 7 times recently he works very hard and is a good team player and as stated by commentators is hard work to play against. quite clever as well as is quite often in offside position but unlike cisse or remy rarely gets caught offside. he was rested last weekend for first 65 mins and lyon did not look as good without him . is more suited to our football than grenier imo who is a 9 inch taller version of marv.

• 196 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Studsy

You clearly do not know me well enough if you think I am that easily silenced. I do not need lessons in how to be more tolerant, I simply do not agree with your wait and see attitude. I have formed my opinion and use the facts at hand to form a conclusion, as opposed to constantly sitting on the fence.

It is easy to take the moral high-ground in an argument when you fail to pick a side. You simply risk making yourself look like a flake who cannot make up his mind.

I will remind you of this conversation at the close of the transfer window. Surely that will be enough time for you to ‘wait and see’

I guess we’ll have to…wait and see.

previous post: Settled Newcastle Star Could Still Leave This Summer