The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Settled Newcastle Star Could Still Leave This Summer

9:28 am, Friday, March 7th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 79 Comments

Newcastle United’s Italian left-back Davide Santon has lost his place in the Newcastle side to local lad Paul Dummett, who has played well over the last two and a half games, since he replaced Davide at half time in the game against Tottenham.

davide santon girlfrined and babay

Davide Santon with beautiful girlfriend and beautiful daughter Sienna
He’s settled on Tyneside – we can see that

Santon had a nightmare first half in that game, as he also had in the previous home game against Sunderland, when he was also yanked off at half time and replaced by Paul Dummett.

And there’s news in the Chronicle today that Santon will now talk to Alan Pardew this summer about his future.

A close friend of Santon has said this:

“Davide is very happy at Newcastle.”  “He is looking forward to sitting down at the end of the season to discuss his future.”

Of course it helps that Davide has a Geordie girlfriend, and they had a baby girl last June – Sienna – and that certainly has helped the 23 year-old settle down on Tyneside.

But being right footed in the left back position makes him too predictable when he moves forward, and he always tries to get the ball onto his right foot.

Paul Dummett and young French U21 International Massadio Haidara are both natural left footed players, and Newcastle seem to look more balanced when one of these lads is playing at left back.

Davide has been rested over the last couple of games because of a slight knee injury he has picked up, but he’s likely to be on the bench  a week tomorrow, when we play Fulham at Craven Cottage, and hopefully we can get our third win in a row.

It wouldn’t surprise us too much if Newcastle decide to cash in on the Italian International this summer, given the cover we now have at left-back.

What do you think?

Tags: Davide Santon · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News · Paul Dummett · Premier League

79 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Don’t know if anyone is listening to BBC radio 5 Live phone in on Owners/Foreign owners of Football Clubs
    Interesting !!!!!

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Some potential good news on Remy with QPR announcing massive loses
    If promoted they are apparently facing huge fines (£50 mil being quoted in the red tops ) and regardless of being in the PL or championship they need to ship out up to 20 players to get there finances back in check

Obviously it doesn’t mean he wants to sign perms malt but hopefully it means QPR won’t be able to hold clubs to ransom over the fee as all clubs will know they simply need the lad off the books ASAP

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Really don’t want QPR to get promoted. Will help us to get Remy and I don’t like QPR…

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Been a while since I’ve been free and able to get tickets but I’m going to take my girlfriend and her brother to the Fulham game. Sadly I’ll be sitting in the Fulham end…

• 5 Thump // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I’m curious… now that Yeung has been found guilty, what happens to the club?

• 6 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Thump
    Seems nobody knows mate
    There supporters trust is just baffled, no one in the club knows what will happen as it’s solely in the hands of Yeungs holding company and the PL and FA are about to face a serious boll0cking over how he passed the fit and proper persons test

• 7 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

DarnSarf
    That’s gutting! Especially at Fulham, there Del Boy away stand always makes for a great atmosphere as it is literally rocking!

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Been there a couple of times before and had a great time. But it’s not easy to get tickets! Also, I’m meeting up with a friend of mine in a pub before the game…who is a Fulham fan…so we’re meeting in a Fulham pub…

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

DarnSarf
    Remember having to sit on the home fans at a spurs game
    We won
    It’s was a painful experience to say the least!!!

But yeah Fulham fans are generally a decent bunch, done a lot of work a few years back for Alain Goma who was a top top bloke and used to get us tickets to the toon Fulham games and always came and met you for a fee drinks after the game

• 10 jazzyp // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Tads
    Just read about qpr and they sound f@cked mate to put it politely.I think if we can squeeze into europe, that may have a big say on where Remy may end up
    Encouraging words from Debs today and will surely give incoming players that little extra push in to joining Nufc

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

TADS

Nice. A few years ago a company I worked for bought 4 Fulham season tickets to take clients to. As they were based in London there was huge demand for games against Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd but less so on the other ones. As luck would have it, one of the few companies that I was working with had an MD who was also a Toon fan. When I asked him if I wanted to go, he told me he had a spare ticket for the away end instead. :-)

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

JazzyP
    Yeah there in the brown stuff big time and tbh promotion looks a stretch as well!
    There’s going to be an absolute fire sale there at the end of the season and tbh I’ve been feeling increasingly optimistic about getting Remy

He seems to enjoy playing here and if we can at least grab 7th/8th think we could get him

Tbf they have a couple of players i wouldn’t mind nabbing, mainly the players they have loaned out!

• 13 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

TDS
    Nothing better than a free ticket ;)
    It is getting harder tbf to get tickets with increasing membership prices

• 14 Thump // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM

@toonarmydownsouth: That’s a bit worrying. I hope whatever is going to happen, happens quickly and the club isn’t too affected by it on the pitch (at least).

@TDS: Fulham fans are a brilliant group. When I was in London there was a group of fans who would regularly meet up at a pub not too far from us. Always had a lot of time for those lads!

• 15 catchy in norway // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

toonarmydownsouth

lol

or there owner could come up with some amazing sponsorship deal

I think its utter madness how much some clubs are spending,

and on that note, I have no problem with Ashley being tight with his money, ( and by that I mean all the seasons before this one).

I look at how much some of the struggling teams pay for players then watch them play and wonder why they paid such a high fee for them, all in all I think we have got some cracking players at very good prices.

• 16 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Thump
    Sad that one person can effect a clubs outcome like that
    Sadly not sure on the repercussions to the club but if in limbo over ownership god knows
    Could lead to points deductions, transfer embargo’ stage full works mate
    Horrible situation

• 17 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Catchy
    The QPR owners? They already have the sponsorship deal and seem to be rapidly losing interest mate
    There’s spending then there’s QPR
    No ones saying go out and drop £12 mil + 100 grand a week wages on has beens like samba

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM

TADS

And if I want 3 tickets (going with my girlfriend and her brother), then it would cost a fortune I imagine, if it’s even possible. No way will I get tickets to see Newcastle play Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal so I would have to get membership on the off chance of being able to go to Fulham and/or Palace? Bit expensive and a bit ridiculous.

• 19 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I get to go to anfield and goodison when we play them as I’m living in Liverpool with the missus who is an ardent red along with the rest of her family! The only plus side is her uncle used to play for Liverpool and her other uncle used to manage the Everton under 21′s so freebies all round when it comes to match days against us :) I haven’t been to SJP since we thrashed the scum 5-1 and won’t be going again anytime soon!

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Thump

We’re meeting in the White Horse in Parsons Green apparently. Then we’ll walk to the ground from there. Luckily I don’t have a Geordie accent so nobody will suspect that I’ve got a Toon top under my jumper… :-)

• 21 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Used to go to Liverpool a lot as my Granddad was friends with one of the old directors. I was even bought a Liverpool scarf at one point. Never felt right though…so I spent a few years in limbo following football but not supporting a team. Then I found it… :-)

• 22 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Found what? Despair and suffering ;) I worked hard in turning my son into a toon supporter at the age of 4, with her family all being reds it was a titanic battle to say the least ( think along the lines of 300 and you wouldn’t be far off) but nevertheless I achieved it! Yay me! but now I’m thinking was it the right thing to subject him to the shenanigans of SJP as he is only 5 now but does far to much worrying and is very intellectual for his years, a decision I fear I may come to regret :(

• 23 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM

My parents are City fans, My Granddad and 3 branches of that side of the family are Liverpool fans and the other branch are Man Utd fans. Just think how much glory I could have had if I had just followed someone in my family. Instead I decided to pick a team that felt right to me…oh well!

Still, it will make it a lot sweeter when we do finally win something!

• 24 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I was also thinking of trying to turn my daughter who is 3 into a toon although I fear I maybe too late with her as she adores her grandad and hangs off every word he says! But she does touch the ceiling as I bring her downstairs and says hway d ladsssss which gives me hope :)

• 25 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Sounds harsh tds, lots of ribbing I should imagine m8 but I followed my heart too as the old man is a potter and my mum isn’t into football so I had the pick myself, although another toon fan who got converted by myself was my little bro so 2-0 to me in the fan making stakes which is quite an achievement considering I’m not a native

• 26 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I should work for the marketing department at SJP with my own specialist unit who’s job it is to turn people into die hard toon fans ;)

• 27 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Who was the poster who said there would be more chance of Steve Mcmahon taking over than Vince? Any takers? Wasn’t so long ago around the time of the rumours it was?

• 28 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM

My Mum hasn’t been much of a football fan for as long as I can remember, but she’s suddenly remembering that my Dad converted her to be a Man City fan about 40 years ago. Funny that she seemed to remember this about 2 years ago…

• 29 Wayayman // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Needed a bit of cheering up and just managed to get the last 2 seats together at Fulham in the neutral end for me and my son. He’s 11 and it will be his first away game. He’s Toon mad, despite being brought up in London and going to school with some Arsenal players kids. The spuds fans at his school gave him grief all week after that horror show, poor sod.
    I’m a Byker lad, so get home as often as possible and we see games up there a few times a season. I’ve told him how different away games are, that there’s a lot more atmosphere and things might get a bit sweary…

Fulham is a good place to watch a game, good set of fans and a small, intimate ground which is easy to get to and from. The total opposite of places like west ham.

• 30 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Wayayman

Neutral end? How did you manage that? And how much did they cost?

• 31 Wayayman // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

£40 adults, £20 kids. Look at the Fulham website, there were a few singles left. Putney end is classed as ‘mixed’ but it’s always taken over by us.

• 32 Wayayman // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM

We got seats AA62/63 and theres another two together on that row plus two singles near it.

• 33 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Wayayman

Damn. Didn’t realise that. But then I needed 3 tickets together so maybe that was why I didn’t see them. Same price but we’re sitting with the Fulham fans! Luckily I don’t have a Geordie accent so I’ll get away with it!

• 34 Wayayman // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM

You’ll be right. The White Horse is a great pub too, a bit pricey though. Look out for the locals wearing red trousers with their jumpers tossed casually over their shoulders

• 35 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Yes tds sounds abit fishy to me ;)

Wayayman

I feel your pain as I said earlier I feel I’ve led my son into the lions den regarding the toon with him being a scouser n all but it will make a man of him :) currently in a disagreement with the missus regarding his first football match as I want it to be at SJP but she feels it might be abit overwhelming for the poor lad so she suggested I along with her father and brother take him to a tranmere home game as her uncle is currently in charge of the first team due to Ronnie Moore’s suspension, although a good idea because said games would be free with all the,trimmings I’m reluctant to agree as I want him to experience the same as the classic SBR quote. Plus it won’t be for a few more years yet until he samples SJP I think, due to mashleys stranglehold on the club and my unwillingness to go until he leaves :)

• 36 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Wayayman

Ha! I’m meeting with and sitting near a Fulham supporting friend of mine too, should be fun. We’ll just have a couple of drinks in the pub beforehand and stroll down to the ground. I reckon I’ll be wearing my Toon top underneath but will have to curb the celebrations when we keep banging them in… :-)

• 37 Rotonda heights // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM

TDS

Don’t tempt fate!!

• 38 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Rotonda

Yeah. Knowing my luck the first game I go this season and the first game my girlfriend and her brother have ever been to will be a dull 0-0…

I was going to suggest meeting up with anyone who is also going from this blog but not possible as I’m going with others…

• 39 Rotonda heights // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM

have never seen what the hype about santon is all about.. Poor defensively, often out of position al la saylor and contributes next to nothing going forward. If converted to a midfielder or attacker the next gareth bale – I don’t think so!!

• 40 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I like to see the cockney teams relegated I hope fulham go down

• 41 clinath@ed // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Average….I had a similar problem trying to convince the TOON were the ones to follow. However, I enjoyed watching football too much, sort of turned him off the game altogether…..now he plays Rugby, and finds footballers pansies! Got a point there I think.
    He does like to go home to St James’ though, as I told him that’s the only place he’s allowed to swear in front of me….! ( he’s 14)

• 42 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Santone isn’t a very good player he seems like he is goin back in his career I like hairdryer and dumet for left back

• 43 G // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Off subject, but I see Birmingham City’s owner has been sent down for 6 years, for money laundering, and they are seizing his assets too. Not a good time to be a Brum fan. I bet Lee Clarke is looking at the job market.

• 44 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I like to see the London teams stay up as that’s more chance for me to get to games! Same reason I’d like to see Reading promoted! But I can’t bring myself to want QPR to get promoted…

• 45 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Al these foring owners come here to wash the dirty money that kitchen sink at birmingim has been locked up far 6 year

• 46 Average_Contents // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Clinath

I would have to agree with your son’s assessment of the modern day footballer. I fear my own over the top celebrations and liking of certain swear words is turning him away also! To me it’s just passion but to the untrained ear (mainly the missus) I sounds like a raving lunatic who has no moral compass!

• 47 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:05 PM

No theres only arsenil and Chelsea any good from cockney land but I think livapool mite win the title

• 48 cyprus // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Ed, You say,

“There’s no doubt that Newcastle and Alan Pardew and the coaching staff made Yohan into a better player.”

Absolutely no doubt? Did Kababs ever give any credit to the coaches? (If he did I stand corrected)

To support your point, you mention Debuchy’s statement:

“You become better by playing and training with big players, and playing in the best league of course you will progress.”

There’s nothing there about coaches or the manager…
    You like AP (and not MA), I respect your point of view, though I don’t think your article strengthens your stance.

• 49 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Top 3 pool city chelsea bottom 3 fulham cardiff wba

• 50 cyprus // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Rex,
    City, Chelsea, Arsenal….. Sunderland, Cardiff, Fulham.

• 51 cyprus // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Newcastle, as you were (now).

• 52 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM

FA cup arsenil

• 53 wolfshead@toon // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM

tds

just make sure you wear your banana top not your zebra one haha btw im still lmao at the 2 diff posts on the MASH thread :-)

• 54 Mister Tuff // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM

cyprus – I agree with your take on the Debuchy comments. Nowhere does he appear to mention the Toon or the training regime. so my interpretation is that coming to the PL improves a player – not necessarily coming to the Toon.

• 55 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Sunderland wont be relegated at Xmas I would have tipped them but for me it is wba and top 7 pool city chelsea arsnil everton spurs newcastle

• 56 cyprus // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM

MT,
    That’s what he appears to be saying…

• 57 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM

wolfshead@toon

It’ll be by zebra top under a jumper or (if it’s warm), I might just chicken out altogether… :-)

What posts are you talking about mate?

• 58 lesh // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Charlie in the Gallowgate @1…… You jest? Listening to the radio (Radio 5 no less!) at 0931, in the morning? In the morning, cricket, give a bloke a break,

Like many, I’m not one of them ‘hard working’folk tge Tories’s always tw@ting on about and don’t get outs me pit till tge crack of noon!!

As far as QPR’s concerned, another one on ‘Arrry’s list of troubled clubs. Owners never learn to keep well away from the sheister!

• 59 cyprus // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I backed Arsenal to win it AFTER the loss to Villa and the crisis articles. They were playing better than anyone else despite the average results. Now, with Ramsey out (is he injured, I don’t know) and Ozil drifting, they will miss out. Liverpool will slip. They’ll fight for and lose 4th with one of the chasers. Us ;) ?

• 60 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Backed Chelsea before the season kicked off and I’ll stick to my guns. Admit that belief was wavering a month or so ago in favour of City but I think Chelsea look more focussed on the task under Mourinho. A lot will depend on the fitness of Aguero and if they lost Toure it could make a huge difference too. I think Chelsea have more depth, like Schurrle coming in and scoring a hat trick…

• 61 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Pool are brill man record goal scores they will win league

• 62 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Spurs are crap al that money they will finish 6th with newcastle 7th

• 63 wolfshead@toon // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM

tds

ashleys holding company – mainly for jfa’s succinct summing up lol

• 64 Novocastrian66 // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Off subject; but Chelsea could be in a spot of bother if the EU freeze the assets of Russian companies and individuals because of the Ukraine crisis.
    Small beer in the scheme of things, but how would Chelsea function without a flow of cash from Abramovich’s deep pockets?

• 65 wolfshead@toon // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:45 PM

tds@60

yep jose must have been feeding them a lot of milf ;-)

• 66 wolfshead@toon // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM

oops *milk haha

• 67 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM

And man united are in a worse state than ukraine

• 68 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM

wolfshead@toon

Feeding them MILFs! Love it! John Terry would be well up for that and I’m very surprised Rooney hasn’t signed for them. Unless Man Utd are giving their players GILFs of course…

Don’t much care about MASH, it’s just business stuff really. Important thing is that the profit we’ve made, the money from the Cabaye transfer and the extra money coming from the TV deal is all invested in the squad. I don’t care whether that’s transfer fees, wages or what, but I want to see the squad strengthened a lot this summer.

• 69 rex // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Catch ya later am off to the barbers for a short back and sides th not the bookies

• 70 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Well folks
    I know that Ashley is not perfect but as I have backed him on the blog and still do. I would rather have him in charge than a lot of the shitesters that own/running football clubs at the moment.

And Nobend Savage is still banging on about the TOON being out of control – todays Daily Mirror

• 71 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Charlie

You do realise that Ashley is in the same category as Assam Allam and Vincent Tan?

Would you prefer Ashley as opposed to the owner of Everton, Southampton, the ownership model at Swansea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City even Ellis Short at Sunderland ploughs a great deal of his own money into Sunderland, they just don’t invest it well.

I am genuinely interested in figuring out what exactly it is about Ashley that makes you think he is better than these owners.

• 72 DokToon // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

wolf @ 65,

spit coffee all over my desk at that,typo… best laugh ive had yet today! thank you!

• 73 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Ciaran
    Everyone doesn’t have to sign up to your agenda

AND YES I will keep on supporting Ashley
    AND YES I will still support Pardew
    AND YES I will keep go-ing to the games
    AND YES I will be renewing my season ticket

• 74 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Charlie

My agenda is that Ashley isn’t good for this club and I can point to various things that I think support that point of view. I am interested in why you think he is good for NUFC. It is a genuine question.

I don’t care if you support Pardew or keep going to the games. I would promote the idea that ST holders consider going on a game-by-game basis so there is added accountability to the fans as opposed to MA already having your money, but do as you will.

I asked an honest, genuine question, no frills attached.

What makes you think that Mike Ashley is good for this club?

• 75 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Charlie

Although I most certainly do not agree with Ciaran’s attitude towards the club and Ashley, I’m baffled how you can say that you “support Ashley”…

It’s not as if the man’s decisions are for the benefit of NUFC fans and it’s not as if he’s a personable guy who is also a fan of this club.

He’s a businessman who happens to own our football club and who also happens to have made several stupid or poorly handled decisions that have alienated many of our fans. I don’t think he’s a terrible owner, but neither do I support his ownership. Any owner who drives a wedge between fans is surely doing something wrong?

And this post is exactly why I get irritated with being called an Ashley fan. I AM NOT. I consider myself in the middle. Not on the fence, but quite firmly standing next to it.

• 76 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM

If you are saying you’d prefer Ellis Short over Ashley because he spends more, then you are saying you’d rather go down with loads of crap expensive players than do well with shrewd buys.

A clever chairman who spends little and wisely is better than an idiot who throws his money away, or gets huge bank loans and pretends its his money like Sheppard.

• 77 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM

The Next Mike Williamson

You’ve jumped to a conclusion based on one comment I have made. Although, Sunderland have made it to a cup final already this season, are on the verge of another Wembley trip and are very likely to escape relegation this season.

Would I prefer Sunderland’s season to ours? Definitely.

• 78 SpecialK // Mar 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Sunderland are very likely to escape relegation?

What is this assumption based upon?

I would have them down as one of the favourites to go down.

• 79 Ciaran // Mar 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM

SpecialK

Based on nothing other than the quality of the football they are playing at the moment, as well as the confidence they are playing with.

Fulham and Cardiff are down, only one spot to go. There are worse teams than Sunderland.

previous post: Sisssoko Upbeat About Newcastle’s Future