The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Youngster Has Good Chance To Play In World Cup

11:30 pm, Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Curtis Good had a terrific debut for Australia last week in London against Ecuador, and he’s now likely to be included in Australia’s  World Cup squad as Australia try to blood some of their best young players this summer in Brazil.

Curtis Good Ecuador+22got4we3XVl

Curtis Good – had excellent debut for Australia

And Australia manager Ange Postecoglou has this to say last week, after Good’s debut for Australia in the 4-3 loss to Ecuador:

“I thought Curtis was excellent,” “He’s one of the ones we wanted to expose at the highest level. and he was fantastic.”

“He’s only 20 years old, he’s only played a handful of senior games, let alone internationals, but you can’t tell me he’s not going to learn by playing against the likes of the players who played tonight.”

Good was taken off after 67 minutes with an abductor (hip) injury, and unfortunately for Dundee United he;s out for between four and six weeks.

Curtis has been playing well up in Scotland, as he gets much-needed first team experience, and he seems to be improving quickly.

Good has talked about his debut on the Newcastle web-site today:

“It was my first call-up so it was pretty exciting when the call came,” “I had to come off with an innocuous sort of injury and we ended up losing 4-3, so there were highs and lows.”

“It was unfortunate circumstances with the injury, but overall it was exciting and it’s  just good to get your first cap out of the way because I was quite nervous before the game..”

“At least I’m in the mix now but obviously I need to get this sorted if I want to have a chance of going to the World Cup.” “So fingers crossed it’s not too long and hopefully I’ll get another call-up.”

“I’ve loved it at Dundee United to be honest. I went up there and we got a good run of results, which was good.” “Confidence was high so it was a good environment to be at, so I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and hopefully I’ll be back up there soon.”

“It’s a very decent standard – I was surprised actually because I’d never really watched it except Celtic and Rangers. But I’m very impressed with the standard and there are some really good young players there.”

Good turns 21 in 11 days time, and he should be playing first team football (somewhere), so  he can get the experience that will  allow his game to develop.

And that happened last season when he played 9 times for Bradford City on loan, and he made his Newcastle debut at Morecambe in the League Cup, and he’s played five games for Dundee United so far.

After pre-season starting this July, if Curtis will not be getting many first team games on Tyneside, it would be good to loan him out again through January, and then see how much further he’s developed at that time.

This lad could well make it at Newcastle – we hope so – because he’s that good.

Excuse the pun – I just couldn’t resist it.

Comments very welcome.

Tags: Curtis Good · International News · Newcastle News · World Cup 2014

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Mar 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM

The Toon have had a couple of good Aussies. The much maligned Viduka, but who was a really gifted player and also Craig Moore, who was rock solid and highly underrated. Should have and could have signed the pair of them at the same time when they were in their twenties and playing for the Old Firm. Sadly we got them both too late. Although we did get a couple of decent seasons out of Moore and a handful of splendid performances out of Viduka alongside Owen, even if that was quite probably the most heartbreakingly disappointing front pairing Newcastle has ever had.

• 2 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Average Contents, thanks for sharing that info about the sale of the club a few threads back.

Good to know.

• 3 Blofal // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Hopefully he comes through. He needs to be on loan though not rotting on the bench “fighting for his place” which has happened to Mbiwa.

It seems only this season have we finally realised that sending players on improves them! Or breaks them. Once Dummett came through its seems a light suddenly switched on and they sent more of our kids out.

Campbell, Vuckic, Bigi, Ferguson, Tavernier, Abied all should have been loaned out a long time ago.

Same with Marveaux and Obertan if they are getting first team games.

But hey… instead we will let them all rot on the bench and in the reserves then suddenly dump them all together in the Europa league and expect them to perform even though they haven’t all played first team football with each other.

Then when they flop we will sell them becsuse they weren’t good enough.

• 4 jimmysmith // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Actually, thinking back, we actually only got half a good season out of Moore, the rest of his two years at the club was spent in the injury room. That drove me nuts, cos we had Ramage, Taylor and Bramble playing in the first team at the time, with wholly predictable results. Either of the latter two would have have be fitted greatly having Moore alongside them. Then just when we got him fit, we shipped him. Hopeless! I’m sure we’re cursed.

• 5 Sydney Toon // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Jimmy
    You are right, Moore was great for a season then spent most of the time in the injury room then returned to Australia in time for the 2006 World Cup. Was massive for us at that time. Dukes suffered from injuries because of being a battering ram for teams, including us when Allardyce got his hands on him.
    On Curtis Good, watching good judges in Foster and Murray over here, they were extremely impressed with him. I would like to think he will get a chance next season, he is so calm with the ball, can play a great pass, very strong and has great stamina that normally comes with an Australian footballer. He will definitely be on the plane to Brazil, alongside Rhys Williams, there is a long term pairing playing at a good level at the moment.

• 6 jimmysmith // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Yeah Sydney, it would be great potentially for us if Good went to the World Cup and actually played. I don’t know how realistic that is, but Postecoglu is a very good coach and judge of young players and I think there is an opportunity there for him now with the Socceroos very much in transition.

I know Good did very well for the Heart was it, in the A league, which really is not a bad standard of football, and at 18 years of age. I also think Ashley could do far worse than approach Postecoglu for the Toon job, although I doubt he’s even heard of him.

• 7 Thump // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I always liked Viduka, despite his injury proneness. As for Moore, he was a brilliant defender, but I’ll never forgive him for having the same name as me. The “you’ve just signed for the Toon!” jokes got old quicker than the “you’ve just been sold by the Toon!” ones.

• 8 Charlietoon // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:24 AM

Jimmysmith he will play for us at the world cup for sure. The only chance we have in hell of even winning a game is if we blood a whole lot of young guns who have no idea how to be fearful and send em in with orders to go and have fun and enjoy the experience. We’ll have one or two old hands but Good will get some games if he is fit and in the process come up some amazing players.

• 9 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Wasn’t Viduka a bit of a spent force when we got him? Though he was great in his previous clubs. We need another real 9 in our ranks. Remy maybe and someone too who can score and terrorise defenses. Cisse seems lost, DJ needs to score…

• 10 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:18 AM

LR 32

I just thought it might be a good indication of what the fatty’s all about as there seems to be people who are still on side so to speak, even after he and owlface got found out to be liars in a court of law! Does my fcuckin head in the way they lap it all up and believe the blatant lies and,Jack of disregard

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:20 AM

You all seem to be forgetting that Australian superstar James Troisi who was at Newcastle as a kid, bagged his 10th goal of the season last week from the spot.

• 12 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Damn phone!

I’ve been visiting this blog for about 2 years and very rarely comment but I felt I had to share as the fatty apologetics are getting on my rather manly man humps

• 13 Ben3arfa // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Craig Moore was absolute rubbish when he played for us.

It was that moron Freddy Shepherd’s insistence on sticking with Titus Bramble and not properly replacing Woodgate that made Moore a stop-gap option for 2 years, otherwise he was never cut for the PL by the time he’d signed with us.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Average,
    We’re seeing a lot less of the apologists these days as they have little or no argument as to what good Ashley has done, even the most famous one, bills sonhas didisappeared off the face of the earth, although I hope he’s ok.

previous post: Fans’ Leader Wants Pardew Sacked – That’s A Minority View