The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – I Had To Pay A Price – But The Club Has Backed Me

2:39 pm, Thursday, March 13th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Alan Pardew has admitted to being worried after headbutting David Meyler in front of millions of fans at Hull City almost twelve days ago – but Alan may have underestimated that – and it was probably in front of hundreds of millions of fans – especially after it happened and it was then news around the world.

It’s not often a manager headbutts a player on the opposing side. :(

alan pardew after red card

Alan Pardew - he certainly looks worried here

Football is the world game – there’s no doubt about that, and it’s been noted that 3B (billion) fans watched the World Cup final in 2010 in South Africa, and of course the Premier League is the most popular league of any sport in the world.

It seems that Alan was very aware of the gravity of the situation, as he should have been.

This is what Alan has said today:

“Of course it was a relief.” “When you’ve made a mistake, and my mistake was in front of millions of people, you have to pay a price.”  “It was a hefty price to pay. Mike acted swiftly, and I accepted that.”

“We go forward, and I have to say, in this period, the backing I’ve had from the club in particular has been really important to me, because it’s been difficult.”

“I’d just like to reiterate my apology to David and Steve Bruce, and fans up and down the country, but particularly our own. They have been fantastic as has the support from Mike.”

We’re not always impressed with what Mike Ashley does at Newcastle, but credit where credit is due, and the fact the Newcastle Board acted so quickly in fining Alan Pardew £100,000 and issuing him with a formal warning was exactly what a responsible club should have done in the circumstances.

And Newcastle have rightly received credit for their action, and we just hope the manager learns from this, because if he doesn’t and does something like this again – he will be fired – it’s really as simple as that.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Fulham?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Remy out for 3 games with calf injury Debs out 4 weeks with groin injury oh n colo is straight back in the side! So yanga goin right back again? No mention of Santon or HBA. Things,looking bleak with 2 of our most consistent performers out! I know let’s break out the shamamobi ;)

• 2 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Fatty only responded quickly because he saw it as an opportunity to claw some cash back by handing him a massive fine

First time I’ve ever been erm…..first :)

• 3 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Just to clarify, the 2 most consistent performers were remy n debs :)

• 4 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Football is being spoilt by al these daft rules kicking the ball out when a player falls down the reference should be only one stopping the game when a team attack and a player drops like hes been shot by a sniper and the ball gets booted out the game is spoilt

• 5 archaeomag // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM

. .and the sponsors are giving Alan a loan to help pay off the fine – keeping him at SJP for the next 30 years, 360 monthly payments of £99,999.99, or till the loan is paid in full.

• 6 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Newcastle to draw with fulham 2-2

• 7 1numBA9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I have followed this blog site for many years now without participating because I just let the rubbish go in the rubbish. but I have to comment on two subjects: 1…if remy (lower case for a reason) feels he is bigger than his current club then let him go and be the small footballer at a bigger club, as a matter of fact I hope that we do not bid for the little man if he is so presumptious! he wants greener grass then go but lets all just shut up about this guy already(enough).
    2…either you are a NEWCASTLE UNITED supporter or you are not… your negative words and blogs and columns are not contributing to the club forward progress nor is it helping with straightening the daily runnings of the club. So shut up you idiots that know so much about football. please stop supporting the club I love, you are all a disgrace to NUFC and should be ashamed of yourselves for blogging the poop you have been over the past three years or more.
    leave Ashley alone, leave Pardew alone… by the way leave the all good people of Newcastle that truely love football and respect the club…alone. as for Pardew, I am proud he stood up to that punk that shoved him, but not one is even acknowledging the fact and stress the fact that had meyler not pushed the manager then he would not have put his head to his ugly face. I am glad my manager stood up unlike you cowards…. get off!!!!

• 8 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM

How the conversation panned out

Alan: what are you going,to do fatty?

Fatty: well I’ve got to show I mean business Alan!

Alan: your firing me fatty?

Fatty: Nar Nar mate, I’m going to fine you big time you cocknose

Alan: geez fatty thanks very much now how do you want the money? Cash? Cheque?

Fatty: cash

Alan: here ya go fatty, should we donate it or summat?

Fatty: donate what mate?

• 9 Mister Tuff // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM

There’s only one reason Mr Tubbs “acted quickly” that was because he realised that Percy was going to get a pilloried by just about everyone including the FA. Announcing such a hefty fine was, in my opinion an attempt to “draw the sting” from what was to follow. I do not accept that Tubbs showed any sort of fine judgement – again just looking after his interest.
    It is in some respects good that people see good things in others – ie they still have faith -but it is also sad that some folk are also naive.

• 10 ethiotoon // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM

i keep saying it,we’ve a good manager,everyone makes a mistake,lets move on now,very lucky to get away with only 7-match ban though.sad to hear our best 2 players r out of fulham clash.but we’ll get sth.
    anyone wanna share his opinions about the missing malaysian airplane?b/c i’ve been following it since last sunday and morely surprize me the incident
    proud 2 b geordi

• 11 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Mister Tuff

Don’t forget clawing the cash back mate ;)

• 12 BeeGuy // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Wouldn’t it be refreeshing for Meyler to step forward and apologise for starting it, and being willing to take it to fistcuffs?

• 13 Ancientcoptic // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM

1numBA9 – Chris Crocker moment.

You should comment more often, strong opinions are certainly welcome.

• 14 thevirus // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM

1numBA9 Commented on this same comment when u wrote it yesterday can’t be bothered to write it again so look at yesterday’s post

previous post: Newcastle United Get Blasted By Player’s Mother