The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Debuchy Could Be Next To Leave Newcastle This Summer

3:48 pm, Thursday, March 13th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 180 Comments

There are reports in Italy today that Roma are interested in taking Mathieu Debuchy to the Italian capital in the summer, and Mathieu could well be the next big player to leave the club.

Mathieu Debuchy Aston Villa

Mathieu Debuchy – playing great for France these days

There’s always been a link with Roma for our former players Yohan Cabaye (very former these days since he’s gone) and Mathieu Debuchy, because both were managed  by current Roma boss Rudi Gracia, when they won the French Championship back in 2011.

And Yohan was linked with Roma before he finally moved to PSG in January, so maybe the Garcia link is the reason this news is being reported in Italy today.

The news is that the Director of Football at Roma – Walter Sabatini – has already started discussions to take Debuchy to Rome, but that’s a little hard to believe.

The very last player Newcastle will want to lose this summer is Mathieu, but as always it will depend on money, and we suppose if Newcastle get an offer they can’t refuse for the French International – well they wont refuse it.

And he’ll be gone – that’s unfortunately the way things work at Newcastle these days, where finances are more important than the team.

Mathieu has already improved big time at Newcastle, since he arrived fourteen months ago, and he is now France’s number one right back and he’s been playing very well for his country this season.

And it wouldn’t surprise us too much if some big European clubs were interested in him this summer, and that’s especially true if he has a good World Cup for France in Brazil in June.

For the record, Mathieu turns 29 in July and has played 42 times for Newcastle with one goal.

What do you think?

Tags: Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours · World Cup 2014

180 responses so far ↓

• 1 yo-yo // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM

On player gambling and depression.
    There are enough ex Gooners running help centres to provide a lot of top quality support for players with all sorts of problems.
    Also the PFA are surely well aware of the problems pro footballers have and really ought to be more pro-active in providing support.
    Not everything is the clubs ”fault’ or responsibility.
    Surely Gosling’s Mam could have been there for him and offered more than harsh words after the event.
    The lad has my sympathies but I believe that the family ought to the basis for support in the first instance.
    Isn’t it a bit ironic to blame the club given the reputation of both our revered manager and owner in obsessively enjoying a ‘wee flutter’ ? Hardly role models.

• 2 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Another frog wants away sign some england lads

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Ciaran

You clearly don’t know as much about this as you think you do.

If someone came up to me and said “I have the flu”, then you’re damn right I’d call them on it! The flu is highly infectious, usually makes people bed-ridden for several days and is potentially lethal to vulnerable people. A cold can have very severe symptoms but it’s not the same thing at all.

23 years old and with all the life experience in the world right? How could you have learned so much when you spend so little time actually taking onboard what other people say?

“Depressed” is a massively overused word. When a friend of mine (as one recently did) came to me with troubles, she didn’t use that word and she didn’t need to. However, it’s clear to me that she’s in a bad place and “depression” is probably the right word for it. Literally hundreds of people have told me that they’re depressed and I think they were all just having a bad time of it, I can think of 3 people off the top of my head who genuinely were depressed and not one of them came out and said they were.

The duty that an employer has to their staff is limited. It is not usually the employer’s role to hire counsellors and offer support to someone when they are having a bad time. Much of that is available via a doctor.

23 and you think you know so much yet you spend so little time actually taking onboard what others say…you argue completely different points that people have made in order to feel like you’re winning the discussion, you’re like a really bad politician.

I never even suggested that wealthy people are less prone to depression, in fact I suggested quite the opposite as they are often living in an unnatural environment with temptations that they are not prepared for. Read my damn post properly before you post things to try to make me look like the unreasonable one.

And finally, I suggest you stick to the topic in hand and in fact stick to football.

• 4 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

It’s not easy to see how we build a competitive club with our current owner. If several players leave which seems likely (Remy, Cisse, Obertan, Gosling, with Debuchy, Colo,and Shola as other possibilities) we would need at least 5 decent incoming including at least 2 decent strikers. This would cost a significant amount. Possibly as much as 40M. What are the chances Ashley would spend like that even after selling Cabaye and getting some money for Cisse and Debuchy (the rest are dross except Santon and Colo or can just leave)? Also what about Saylor? It’s a huge task now and I can’t see Pardew and Ashley being up to it. In fact it makes me laugh just thinking about it. A harsh painful laugh.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM

A clear sign of our owner turning over a new leaf would be if he had himself publicly flogged in Newcastle and then turned over the running of the club to a decent football man. Then give him decent transfer funds without strings attached. Since we are in the black now it could be done without ruining us financially. Will it happen? Will pigs fly to Miami for a vacation in the sun?

• 6 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Wow the last few posts are averaging about 12 comments each. Do not ask for whom the bell tolls as they say.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Off for now mates. I’ll try again later to see if there’s any interest in getting a discussion going.

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Testing testing testing

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Testing 1 2 3

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I would say it’s almost certain that Remy, Shola, Marv and Obertan would leave this summer. There are also genuine question marks over Cisse, Ben Arfa and Saylor. We have no idea about the situation with Colo and all other news is just speculation.

I think if we’d kept Cabaye then our squad would be just about the right size to allow youth players to challenge around the fringes still. But we didn’t. So at a minimum, we need as good or better replacements for Cabaye, Remy, LDJ, Marv, Shola and Obertan. That’s 6 players. Can the likes of Armstrong, Campbell, Vuckic or Abeid fill any of those gaps? Possibly 1 or two best case scenario.

I reckon at least 2 of Cisse, Ben Arfa, Colo and Saylor will leave and of course there’s always a chance that we’ll get a big bid for the likes of Krul, Santon, Debuchy, Tiote or Sissoko…

So, best case I can think of, we need to sign 4 players, worst case we’ll need 11 or 12! I think we’ll need to sign 4 or 5 first team players and another 2 or 3 young squad players on top of the usual buys for the youth team.

Lets hope our DoF is keeping busy! Oh…

• 11 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

TDS

It’s telling how entrenched under your skin I really am.

As for your suggestions. Need I tell you where you can stick them?

You put so much emphasis on how old I am, it seems to really grate on you. I took on board what you said, and gleaned from it points which I then used to make my point. If you felt that was made to make you look unreasonable then that’s your beef, not mine.

For a man who is evidently much more world wise than I am, how is it that you are so easily wound up by me? When a kid comes at me with a seemingly ridiculous point of view I don’t take it to heart, but you clearly take my opinions and views to heart, which I find telling of your maturity.

For the record, I don’t take your opinion to heart because I find you to be an utterly ridiculous human being and the work I am doing for the betterment of our club to enact positive change fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling that makes anything one could spout on an internet forum redundant.

Until next time old foe – is foe the right term? Foes tend to be equal…

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Does anyone have problems with their phone when on this website?

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Ciaran

You mistake my tone. I’m not angry or wound up. The only thing that grates slightly is that I begrudgingly accept that you are a passionate and well spoken individual. On the surface, your posts often seem to be on the money and people taking them at face value will get the wrong impression. Like newspapers like the Sun and Daily Mail, you write in a sneaky colourful manner in order to get your nasty little biased opinion across. In fact, I think you’d do quite well to consider a job for a publication such as those. You could have a good career but I don’t consider them worth of wiping my arse with.

You’re not my foe, you remind me of someone I used to work with who on the surface seemed like the life and soul of the party and everyone liked him but he was actually making up stories and playing people off against each other. After a few months everyone had cottoned on and he wasn’t invited out for drinks any more. But not everyone has cottoned onto your sneaky ways on here and new people will get caught into your nasty little trap.

I give you credit where credit is due, but that’s not a compliment…

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM

jesper

Yes! It keeps diverting to the damn app store. I’ve given up using it on my iPhone or iPad now.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Tds…mine has been freezing for the last few days :(

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM

And it is only on here

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM

jesper

It does that to me too. Opens the app store and then freezes. Trick is to press the X just after the comments have loaded but before the crappy adverts. But that’s too much hassle so I don’t bother any more.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM

jesper

Yep. Despite Ed and others blaming it on my browser, ad-blocker and other things.

I have installed ad-blocker on my laptop so that takes care of the dodgy pop-ups on that but doesn’t change the fact that it’s caused by the money grabbing adverts on the site.

• 19 beermonkey // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM

given the fact debuchy has one decent move left in him due to his age soon to be 29
    I wouldn’t blame him he will command good wages and 4 year deal to take him till he retires
    cant blame him he wont win anything with us

• 20 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Damn windows phone :(

• 21 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Tds…it is just annoying as hell :(

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I wouldn’t blame any player if they got a move to Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Chelski, City or Arsenal. Possibly Man Utd and Liverpool too. But that’s only 9 teams. Do any of them actually want Debuchy?

• 23 Tsunki // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I don’t think the phone problem is platform dependant I have to use a secure browser on my BlackBerry so you might want to search for one that will work for your OS. Oh and it’s definitely Eds site, the advertisers have cookie-driven payloads to push ads so you really need to turn off Flash at the very least.

• 24 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM

TDS

I’m a very affable person, and contrary to the image of me that is painted in your head, as straight laced a person as you can get. If I like someone, they’ll know, if I dislike someone, they’ll be aware of this as well.

I think you are very well aware that I dislike you.

Your backhanded compliment/veiled insult was clever (by your usual standards) but I detest the sensationalism and idiocy that tabloid journalism represents so no I will not take my career down that path. However, perhaps the reason my posts seem, prima facie, to be on the money is that they generally are, in my own humble opinion at least.

With reference to your analogy, how can you explain that I am generally well received on this site by people who have been present here for years? In fact, those who clearly have an agenda against me would admit that it is due to me coming into direct and open conflict with them, nothing down to my being sneaky or underhand in any way, so I am afraid that your analogy has absolutely no relevancy in relation to myself whatsoever.

Perhaps you dislike the fact that I call it like I see it. I call you like I see you, and the conclusion that is formed is a very unpleasant, objectionable person who has a very crass manner in dealing with people.

But what do I know? I’m only 23…

• 25 Tsunki // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Anyway if Debuchy has any sense and especially if he has a good world cup, he should move on. At this stage of his career. We should have been getting his understudy up to speed by now anyway, whoever that is.

• 26 Tsunki // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Is this the right room for an argument?

:D

• 27 Tsunki // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM

So if Rangers get back into the SPL next season, will Mike be likely to consolidate his advertising with a likely CL club and possibly even move out of NUFC altogether?

• 28 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Ciaran

I don’t know if I dislike you. I do know that I dislike this “internet persona” that you have admitted you have on here. Unless that was some more bull to deflect criticism…

Some people on here will be Sun or Daily Mail readers so they obviously don’t mind getting their information from biased sources that write in a simple way for them to understand. I totally disagree that you’re well received on this site, you just have a knack of disappearing when people gang up on you…

You are sneaky because you don’t take other people’s comments onboard and then comment on what they wrote, you twist what they wrote and then argue in passionate terms like that person argued completely the opposite to you point when in actual fact they presented a much more balanced view.

I could talk about how I don’t like modern popular black culture and explain that it’s because I don’t like all the “niggas and hoes” attitude and someone like you could turn it around and claim that I don’t like black people and do I really think that all black people are like that. The relevance is in the specific words used in that case, “modern” and “popular”. The same goes for my comments on here, you seem to scan read them and pick out the bits that suit your agenda to contradict.

Like I said…sneaky.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Tsunki…i switched from an android phone to a windows phone because of this damn site to begin with :(

• 30 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Yes, I agree it’s this site jesper and Tsunki. It seems to be getting worse. Is there any other blog we could meet on? I’m getting tired of it.

• 31 Mike's Iron Curtain // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Only when a mosquito lands on your testicles, do you realise there is a way to solve any problem without violence.

• 32 Tommyy // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Honestly, these egoments are a great side read. If there’s no real news to talk about regarding NUFC, why not let the self – perceived titans clash? Carry on I say!

• 33 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Complete disarray at the club and yet we’re still in 8th place. Amazing. Shows how poor the clubs below us are. I still think Southampton will pass us. The rest should be too far back.

• 34 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I agree MIC @31. And let the great eagle of justice lay eggs in Mike’s underpants. :shock:

• 35 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Harrumph I say Tommyy. I don’t even understand what they are talking about half the time.

• 36 Mike's Iron Curtain // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Ruddy has always been a sly, Machiavellian git. It’s his chosen life path, to twist words – he’s training as a lawyer – that’s what they do, they’re not interested in the truth, they’re interested in winning the argument at any cost. Take what he says with a pinch of salt and see his contributions for what they are, him getting some practice in for his future occupation.

• 37 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM

TDS

It is natural for you to believe that I am not well received, as you have personal issues with me you are more likely to come to that conclusion than someone who has assessed me objectively so needless to say, your input into that matter can be readily disregarded. All I can say is that, in my opinion, the majority of people I have engaged with would not claim that I am underhand and sneaky. In fact, this is the first time – in the 4 years I have been commenting here – that anyone has levelled that accusation at me.

Perhaps the reason I find it easy to represent your point of view to be unreasonable is because of the very fact that you tend to be unreasonable to begin with. You portray yourself as someone who is incredibly balanced, yet the amount of times you have instigated a discussion by insulting someone as ‘morons’ or ‘idiots’ are numerous.

All I can say is that, I can live with the fact that you think I am sneaky, because I do believe that many people often disregard your opinion as the nonsense it so often is.

• 38 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

This is always the right room for an argument Tsunki mate! :0

• 39 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

But let’s use this a platform for Ian and his many friends to come out and slate me, they rarely miss an opportunity.

• 40 beermonkey // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Tsunki

nothing to stop him owning both

nothing to stop him taking our new tv cash to buy rangers they will never allow celtic or rangers in the prem so it wouldn’t be a problem

think there is a problem in Europe but as we wont be going for Europe no problem

• 41 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Wow 3 paragraphs seems a bit much. It’s hard to take it all in. I like crisp, brief comments. Mike’s a pinhead. That kind of thing.

• 42 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I like to use this as a platform to flog Ashley on. Beautiful.

• 43 tequilamag // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Tsunki. I already told you once

• 44 Mike's Iron Curtain // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM

It’s not paranoia if they’re really after you, eh, Ruddy? ;)

• 45 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM

To start a side debate, realistically how much do people think we will see in expenditure this summer? Presumably we should have around 40 – 50M of actual spending power. However taking into account the ‘right players’ and ‘over the line’ hyperbole I don’t think we’ll spend more than 20m.

• 46 Tsunki // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Jesper – and that is where you have been undone, my friend. Browser tech and all the crap that comes with it Is virtually platform independent. Have you heard of the idiom ‘barking up the wrong tree’? Well you have been doing that :)

I see that nifc’s latest sfb gimmick is to have iron mike deliver a papa joe’s pizza to the lucky Italian food fan and Mag. Wow. That’s a pretty tactless way to tell someone they are surplus to requirements in the summer! If those pizzas are as cheesy as nufc’s PR ideas then the lucky fast food muncher is in for a treat.

• 47 Tsunki // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Tequila – no you didn’t!

• 48 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM

I don’t understand all the tech talk I must admit. As for the club, the latest injuries to Debuchy and Remy should be a real concern. Even with weak teams to play in the next 2 games will we get points?

• 49 tequilamag // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM

sorry Tsunki your 5 mins is up.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM

When a mosquito lands on my testicles I beat it savagely with a stick. And the devil take the consequences. Harrumph!

• 51 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Ciaran

I’ve assessed you objectively and you are not well received by me. You are obnoxiously condescending. I hope you can use this observation to help you.

• 52 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Spoof

Surely it’s possible to pick holes in your transfer spend table? Even you say yeovil and doncaster beat us so something must be up.

A better measure is the total annual spend on wages. How do we figure there?

• 53 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Aren’t we 7th or 8th in total annual spend on wages B&B? It think that’s right so it matches our position in the league roughly. But the signs for next season are not good. With Remy and several others leaving and an underspending owner who doesn’t like agents’ fees or anything else related to costs I just can’t see how we’ll stay in the top 10.

• 54 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Ciaran

It would appear that not everyone agrees with you…

And a 23 year old training to be a lawyer? Is that true? It would really explain a lot…

• 55 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Wage bill, revenue, squad value (according to transfermarkt) are all ranked 8th in the PL I think. So yes, it stands to reason that 8th is where we should finish. However, the gap to 6th is a lot bigger than the gap to 9th or 10th…

• 56 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Will Pardew have to watch the up and coming games on snide TV

• 57 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Sad to say, but this guy may be too good for us, same with Remy. Still, I have a feeling 4 new exciting players will come in (and four five will leave).
    In any case, we need to up our game if we are to compete with your Evertons and Liverpools. I hope the changes don’t keep us still or, worse, take us back.
    Regarding AP, he’s got 9 lives! Just when he puts together a nice string of horrible losses, he puts in another with wins. Just after we get spanked by someone, we put in a halfway decent performance. We must be the most unpredictable team in the league. Just when he says or does something really dumb, he exonerates himself with a nice dose of humility. ‘I must become a better manager’ is to his credit! The last time I heard such brutal honesty was from the man himself, KK, who said he just wasn’t good enough for… (I forget which team… was it City?)

• 58 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Good question GPLF @45. Harrumph, well where to start? Let’s look at some key points:
    1. The owner is a pinhead. Anybody who would hire Joe Kinnear as DoF is clearly off his rocker.
    2. The manager will do anything he is told by the owner and will make up any bollocks necessary to cover for him.
    3. Clearly several of our players and Remy want out. As several of these are our best players this season (Remy, Colo, Debuchy) this does not bode well. and
    4. Did I mention the owner is a pinhead? It’s worth repeating.

• 59 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM

On another subject, I’m impressed at how Guardiola’s teams work harder (!) when they lose the ball. It’s like they can’t take it, they can’t live with that, so they chase the ball, en masse, till they get it back. It was embarrassing that a PL possession team was so outplayed a couple days ago.

• 60 Mike's Iron Curtain // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM

GPLF

Well we’re likely going to get around £90-95m from tv rights and our finishing position, up from £45m last season, then there’s the small profit made last season and the Cabaye money, the only deductions from last season are from whatever we mad from Europa, seem to remember a figure of around 6/7m been mentioned in the past(?). so we should have ample funds to rebuild the squad – a surplus £60-70m – how much of that is invested is another matter.

• 61 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:26 PM

G2

I think you, Ed and others are worrying too much about the summer. Nobody knows what’s going to happen. We might have a fantastic transfer round. At the moment Ed just comes up with scares based on rumours and it spreads.

I’m thinking no further than fulham. It was saying on the radio that remy is likely to be out for three weeks. Debuchy will miss the game too.

• 62 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Mike’s Iron Curtain

I think your figures are a bit off. I don’t think we’ll get that much from TV rights and finishing position. The winners will ‘only’ be getting ninety something million.

But you’re right about one thing, we will have considerable money in the club and that needs to be re-invested in the squad.

• 63 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM

The summer is all we have left to speculate on B&B mate. We’re going to finish around 9th, meaning no Europe and a happy owner. We’re going to have a fairly large amount of money available from TV and the sale of Cabaye already but how much will Mike spend? He will minimize it by depending on free transfers and Carr to dig up a gem or two. Not good enough after 7 years.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I thought Pep’s team wasn’t as dominant as usual against Arsenal Cyprus mate. Maybe they are relaxing a bit and resting on their laurels. Still a fantastic set of players though. Real should meet them in the final.

• 65 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Yep Harrumph to that

• 66 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I’d agree that theoretically we should have 40 – 60M of money to spend. I am under no illusions that we won’t be drip fed the crap that we don’t have anything to spend from now until the window opening. However, I’d like to see a couple of 15M signings that will realistically allow us to kick on, in the ST and CM positions, then a good winger around the 8 – 10M mark and then young players who are good enough to challenge the starting positions in CB, RB and CM. In other words better players than Bigirimana/Ameobi etc. That could be achieved for 50M in my opinion, and I believe it’s what we need. Otherwise I anticipate another 12th – 8th season next season which would be beyond underwhelming unless it results in a cup.

• 67 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Bit of a kick in the balls about Debuchy & Remy being out :( , but we should have more than enough to get the three points .

My team would be :

—————————-Krul—————————–

–M’biwa——–Willo———-Collo——–Haidara–

—————————-Tiote—————————-

——Sissoko————-HBA—————Gouff——

—————-De Jong————-Cisse——————

If HBA is injured then replace him with Anita . Also I would give Cisse another shot against Fulham considering the amount of goals they have conceded. Plus he plays better with a target man like De Jong .

• 68 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I think there may be a sinister plot underway to undermine our club. Did anyone ever catch the real killers of Kennedy? No they did not. Did any bankers go to jail for the 2008 malfeasance (what a great word, malfeasance)? No they did not. Did Mike SmallBerries ever spend properly unless we were threatened by relegation? No he did not. Harrumph.

• 69 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Be lucky to have a team next year, if all these rumours about players leaving are true lol

• 70 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Think you may be on to something there geordietwo. Harrumph !

• 71 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

So just to summarize. We stand on the threshold of more great things with Ashley. A potential 10th place finish next season in the league, we may win up to 2 games in the domestic cups combined, we may buy up to 2 moderately expensive players and bring in 2 or 3 free transfers and we may be discussing exactly the same things at this time next year. Beautiful.

• 72 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Aye Belfast, I believe I am onto something. Nothing will stop me in my pursuit of truth, justice. and reasonable pricing for outstanding chest hair.

• 73 geordie157 // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

No Remy, I think it’s time to give Armstrong a start, him and de jong with sissoko, anita, tiote and gouffran in a 442

• 74 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Is it possible Ashley will find true happiness with his new dominatrix? It seems she has a ferocious whip hand and loves it when Mike’s been naughty. It sounds very promising anyway.

• 75 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I just feel that without proper discipline Mike gets a bit carried away. He needs some of that old Spare the rod and Spoil the Owner treatment.

• 76 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! GT, sweetheart, what was that? IT WAS BAD! It had nothing! No fire, no energy, no nothin’! You know I have a show to run here, you know? Hmm? Hmm? And it must pop, pop, POP! So tomorrow from five to seven, will you please act like you have more than a two word vo-cab-u-lary? It must be green, OK? OK?

• 77 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM

G2

Its the wages more than the transfer fees that are the real cost.

I can’t see how its worth speculating because nobody knows. Its like try to guess a throw of the dice. Fun for a bit, but meaningless.

• 78 clinath@ed // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Just seen Pardew’s interview on SSpN, and accepting it may have been edited, he never once apologizes for the effect his ban may have on the team and their results
    Yes he THANKS his boss and says sorry to the FA….even goes as far to say his mistake was to do it in front of millions of viewers!!!
    Never really comes across as contrite or sincere.

• 79 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Harrumph! Now listen here jesper, I have a 3 word vocabulary! And don’t call me sweetheart until after our first date. As for Fifth Element, a true classic. :)

• 80 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM

But what about my other important theories B&B mate? What about my sinister plot theory? What about my Mike SmallBerries is a pinhead theory? What about the new dominatrix? Will she be good for Mike from a constructive football owner point of view. There is much to discuss. Harrumph.

• 81 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM

G2 mate,
    First,
    Thanks for teaching me a new word.
    Second, seriously, Arsenal just capitulated. If it were NUFC I would’ve been upset with them.
    Third, I’m getting this feeling we are going to bring in some exciting new players this summer. I may be dreaming, but I want CL football :) again!! We’ve done the Europa routine, let’s play with the big boys (the manly ones) again.
    Fourth, could we lose from the bottom team this weekend? (Well, yes.)

• 82 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM

But did he come across as a true Ashley sycophant clinath mate? Yes he did. That is the most important thing. What kind of sycophant do you want me to be Mike? That sort of thing. Harrumph.

• 83 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM

A lot of you on here are finally asking the crucial questions. Where does Mike buy his thongs and gimp mask? If his berries are so small why are his thongs so tight? Does the dominatrix go to her left hand on the whip often enough? We need answers. Harrumph.

• 84 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You know, as Official Blog Hobbit I just have to say how proud I am of how far we’ve come on here mates. I’ll just pause now and light my pipe…. Harrumph! Where was I? Ah yes, proud is the word. We talk and discuss and argue but then we come up with some brilliant insights. It’s magical at times.

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

GT…but you are a sweetheart ;) lol

• 86 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Oh and while I’m at it I had better make a few other things clear. There can be no crying on the blog! There can be no whinging! No standing up for Mike SmallBerries! No refusal to entertain thoughts of sinister plots! I hope I’ve made myself absolutely clear now.
    Sincerely
    GeordieTwo
    Official Blog Hobbit.

• 87 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM

GT never give up! You are a army of one my friend ;D

• 88 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I hope tottingham get beat another cockney team

• 89 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I will jesper! This is only the beginning! I am manly, hear me roar! etc. etc.

• 90 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Tottingham are playing harry cane up front with adebuyar

• 91 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Cyprus mate Champs League would be brilliant for us! Are you sure you’re thinking of the same team though? Newcastle right? The one with Mike Ashley running things? I just need to clarify mate.

• 92 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Just as an aside did I mention I’m reading The 100 year old man who climbed out the window and Disappeared. Very funny in a strange Swedish sort of way.

• 93 70TWO // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM

More of the same IMO for the foreseeable future, minimal investment, struggling cohesiveness and an unprofessional air hanging around NUFC. I have been reading a few back dated articles relating to the clubs finances and feel that some fans misinterpret the lack of spending as Ashley taking money out of the club. However there is a significant reduction in commercially generated income which can be strongly linked to the over reaching Sports Direct. Which indirectly benefits the wealth Ashley generates and reduces the financial strength of NUFC, despite the counter argument that the club is now self sufficient.

I have often struggled to understand the animosity towards Ashley and the accusation of criminality when the club is establishing itself as a strong mid table team, with international players. Those that speculate that with proper investment the club could be competing in the CL could equally be considering a relegation battle. However a businessman like Ashley is not at NUFC for the love of the game or the area and needs to be strongly scrutinised, otherwise the club will undoubtedly become weaker. Next season I would expect the club to be at least in the quarter finals of both cups and again finishing in the top 8. Some may say that is an under estimation, but from that consistency in league finish and cup appearances I would expect the club to financially stronger and able to invest significantly.

It is similar to the choice between receiving £20 now, or waiting for £100 in a year? The question is do we try to make improvements by holding Ashley to account and positive criticism, or voice our anger at diversionary issues and ignore the underlying causes?

• 94 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Also I went to a very nice Irish and Scotch whisky tasting last night. Very enjoyable. Last year’s get together was better however.

• 95 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Newcastle?! Sorry, momentary lapse, was thinking of another team. It’s that Brazilian outfit that threw me off. Apologies.

• 96 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Apart from Blackley and brownley who hasn’t got a sense of humour has anyone on here seen the film twin town

• 97 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Read that book. Excellent.

• 98 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Hope Benfica trash Spuds tonight like .

• 99 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

GT…are you a whisky guy?

• 100 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Benfica 3-1 tottingham are cockney big heeds that sharwood is a cockney

• 101 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM

70TWO that’s well thought out mate @93. The owner has some clear goals that have nothing to do with making the club a winner. It revolves around money of course. His feelings were hurt long ago by us and he won’t forget it. But mainly he wants more personal wealth which means keeping us in the black no matter how he does it and mainly to use us as an advertising vehicle for SD. That’s it plain and simple. Keep us somewhere in the Prem between 6th and 12th and Pardew keeps his job. Drop below 12th-14th at your peril Alan.

• 102 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Whatever happened to Jermaine Jenas ? .

I remember seeing him in ASDA and he had two birds picking out food for him . Had a diamond necklace with the letters JJ and a face like a smacked arse .

• 103 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Benfica captain looks like the bad guy in Last of the Mohicans

• 104 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I like a bit of a few things Jesper mate. A taste of Scotch late in the evening, and a glass of wine at supper does the trick for me. Occasionally a nice brandy as well. Lovely.

• 105 mindshaft // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Rex – so we should sign some English players as long as they aren’t cockney
    You sound like a bitter man

• 106 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Jenas newcastle reject

• 107 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Benfica will tear them a new one Cyprus mate.

• 108 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I take that as a no then

• 109 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Mineshaft eh im sound you cockney

• 110 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I like talking to myself I do

• 111 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

You can tell Sherwood is loving being the main man at Spurs by acting the big man .

No one knew his name a few months ago FFS, would love to give him a slap .

• 112 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Wasn’t he a great evil dude in that movie Cyprus? I loved his comeuppance.

• 113 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Beautiful!

GT…I am a Rhum guy myself, but can enjoy a nice Cognac or Calvados as well ;)

• 114 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Welshie what are you on about then mate? Twin town? Can you expand on that? I don’t recall it.

• 115 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Yes that sounds excellent as well jesper. I used to drink rum. Very tasty.

• 116 70TWO // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM

GeordieTwo

I do agree to a degree with the likes of Cairon/Ruddy and admire the ambition and drive to do something, however I think it is misdirected and does not recognise the motivation for ownership. For example , look how long Doug Ellis was at Villa and the relationship he had with fans, plus he was a local.

• 117 Ancientcoptic // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I think Tottenham are going to get pulled to pieces by Benfica tonight.

I cannot help but support Benfica tonight, you have to love how they play the game.

• 118 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Jenas is owned by QPR now isn’t he? Such a waste of decent talent with all his sulking and carrying on. Fair bit of injury problems as well.

• 119 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Well I have to go out and cut grass now! Horrors! Spring grass cutting is nasty. Wish me luck mates. :)

• 120 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM

It’s a comedy that’s filmed in swansea starring Rhys ifans I was trying to explain it to Blackley and Brownlie but I may as well talk to the wall.

• 121 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM

How come no one has seen twin town, don’t they sell it in England

Where have you lot been for crying out loud, that film and lock stock are one if the best British films

• 122 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Ancient
    Same here, great team and there fans were absolutely first class when they came to SJP last season
    If it weren’t for Benfica’s fans tonight, WHL would be a library!

• 123 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Two of the best films

• 124 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Couple of great British films are Bronson and Dead man’s shoes . Well worth a watch .

• 125 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Welsh
    Twin town is brilliant mate, love the bit where they give Keith Allen the magic mushroom’s!

• 126 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Bronson = Nicolas Winding Refn :D

• 127 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM

BPC
    Fully agree on Dead mans shoes!!!

• 128 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I liked In Bruges, An Education and The King’s Speech

• 129 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

At last somebody has seen the film

• 130 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:29 PM

@ Jesper

Big fan of Refn apart from Only God Forgives, couldn’t get into that film . However Drive & Bronson are brilliant .

• 131 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Also Dog Soldiers is a decent movie as well .

• 132 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM

BPC…as we have discussed before you should definitely watch the Pusher trilogy :)

• 133 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Welsh

You weren’t funny last night and you’re not funny tonight. Try being funny. Follow what I do but don’t steal my craic.

• 134 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Good evening Blackley

I also told you last night that I am funny

• 135 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

G2

I’ve been bent over the beds and on my ride on all day. I’m so stiff now.

• 136 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

@ Jesper

Yeah I still have that on my watch list ;) .

• 137 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Brilliant goal on the counter from Benfica!
    That lad Rodrigo, wow the pace!!!!!

Weren’t we linked with him not that long ago??

• 138 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM

135Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

G2

I’ve been bent over the beds and on my ride on all day. I’m so stiff now.

I really didn’t want to know that

• 139 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

What you do in your spare time

• 140 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Welsh

Its the time of year to get a hoe in your bed. G2 knows the score.

• 141 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Why I’m not desperate are you

• 142 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Besides would it be welsh or English, which ones are the best

• 143 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Where’s michael dawson?

My 12 year old son goes to school with Dawson’s cousin. Not a lot of people know that.

• 144 clinath@ed // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Young mr Walker, spurs right back, is quickly doing himself out of a seat on the plane to Brazil with England.
    He’s become over confident and sloppy.

• 145 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Welsh

How’s your leeks? Are you showing this year?

• 146 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:53 PM

My leeks are fine thanks for asking, have you watch twin town yet or is the storyline to hard for you to follow.

• 147 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

The cockneys look well sick ha ha its great cane is crap

• 148 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Welsh

No. If it’s not on at the pictures, i’m unlikely to see it, but I’m going to make a great effort to find it.

Top non fiction books: Misquoting jesus by bart d ehrman and zealot by reza aslan.

• 149 mag // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Welshie, still no sign of Tudor? Rex you lighten up the blog with your pidgin English.

• 150 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM

How on earth does “Aaron no end product Lennon” get a game ahead of Townsend FFS ? .

• 151 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM

We did better against Benfica than this :) .

• 152 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Mag

I hope he’s alright

• 153 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Spurs crap tonight

• 154 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM

How did spurs beat us at home, they not that good.

• 155 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM

LOOOOOOOOL ! , Jesus mugging of Sherwood :) .

Should have planted the nut on him ;) .

• 156 mindshaft // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Rex – you should of put some money on that scoreline – if I’d known you were a decent pundit I’d have put some cash on 3-1 myself :)

• 157 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM

mindshaft

I said 3-1

• 158 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM

That was a laugh lol

Sherwood used to be a knob when he was a player like, hasn’t changed at all.

• 159 70TWO // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM

The only input I saw from Sherwood were his arms wide open in a “whats a matter?” gesture like he doesn’t bear any responsibility for his team of professionals not being able to play together.

Hopefully should see a cheap buy coming our way, as long as its not Naughton or Rose!

• 160 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

He’ll not be there next season anyway. Think he probably knows it himself tbh

• 161 Jakenufc // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Seing as this is a Newcastle Blog I will start talking about Newcastle rather than Tottenham…but recently we have been linked with both Ryan Shawcross and Danny Welbeck. Would anyone take these? I personally think they would be great additions but only for the right price. Shawcross would be a good Colo/Taylor replacement and Welbeck would be a good Cisse replacement. Any comments????

• 162 Mister Tuff // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Following the BnB school of policing football I think that the Benfica coach should have been arrested for threatening behaviour and that Sherwood (using my lip reading skills) should also have been arrested for uttering the words “you fuc***g prick”.
    Additionally the Benfica coaches who appeared into the squable should have been arrested for affray. Additionally the Spurs team should have been arrested for a shite performance and the Spurs fans arrested for supporting a team in disarray. Additionally Andy Townsend should have been arrested for being a crap commentator, also anybody who disagrees with my post should also be arrested.
    Sorted.

• 163 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

162Mister Tuff

I totally disagree

• 164 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Shawcross or welbeck

Have you been drinking

• 165 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I said 3-1 ha ha old sharwood looked well chocked cockney clowns

• 166 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Welshgeordie I would take welblack but not shawcrass

• 167 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Mineshaft I had a sly tenner on Benfica at 10/1 lovely

• 168 Jakenufc // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM

So you would rather have an offside NON-scorer in Cisse and a unreliable turd of Steven Taylor? See you in the Championship mate…

• 169 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

You can go to the championship if you want to, I will stay in the premier league

• 170 Thump // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

@jakenufc: Shawcross could do a job for us but the jury’s still out on Welbeck. I don’t think he’s up to standard, personally.

• 171 Jakenufc // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

You obviously don’t watch our games…A stick could do a better job than Cisse. Welbeck has been in some pretty impressive form recently when he has started for Man U. Plus he is an English international and still young. Shawcross is a solid defender but admittedly is sometimes out of touch. but he is very much a leader and team player…much better than saylor.

• 172 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM

As long as we do well in the league next season, i couldn’t give a rats ass who comes in and who goes.

• 173 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

If Ciaran’s a budding lawyer, I would recommend he reads the art of the advocate by richard du cann.

• 174 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Yes, I quite like Shawcross.

If he played for a more fashionable club like Liverpool, he’d be in the England squad no problem, in my opinion.

Solid defender.

• 175 Blackley and Brownlie // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Welsh

Exactly. In out in out, shake it all about.

• 176 Jakenufc // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Yeah and I agree mate but success isn’t naturally flowing through the heart and soul of our club as of late. it needs new faces in order for it to progress but unfortunately that isn’t on the agenda for Mike.

• 177 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Oh Blackley you still here, I thought somebody was reading you a bedtime story

• 178 geordie157 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I know this will never happen, but how much would Rodrigo cost us?

• 179 jimmysmith // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Wellbeck is a hardworking, capable and intelligent player who I think suffers because he is perceived by many, perhaps rightly, as not good enough for the very highest level, yet is regularly picked for England and Man U. He’s an easy target. He’d be too expensive for us I think, but would probably be a good signing, even if might you get the feeling he’s benefitted greatly by having real quality around him and being in the right place at the right time, ie Man U Academy product. He and Shawcross, if the idea is in fact to bring us forward bit by bit, would seem to fit the bill if the price were right, which somehow strangely does happen from time to time. 15 million for the pair, say.

• 180 welshgeordie9 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Why are you keeping on about welbeck, there’s no way he’s joining us

previous post: Pardew – It Was Stupid – I Must Become A Better Manager