The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle United Get Blasted By Player’s Mother

9:44 am, Thursday, March 13th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

Dan Gosling’s mother Hilary has today criticized Newcastle United for not supporting her son when he was out injured – after he first arrived at Newcastle in the summer of 2010 – and had nothing else to do – but gamble.

dan gosling wonga st mirren

Dan Gosling – in action for Newcastle

Dan Gosling admitted an FA  charge of betting earlier this week, and that relates to Rule 8B of the FA rules, and like Alan Pardew before him, he will seek a personal hearing .

This is what Dan’s mother Hilary has said today from Devon:

“No one from the club came and supported him when he was laid up,” “He said he will learn his lesson and that he only did it because there was nothing better for him to do.”

“Dan admits that he was stupid and was betting out of boredom more than anything else.”  “He couldn’t even walk with his knee injury and the online betting firm were fine while he was losing.”

“He is fine in himself, he said he will take what is coming to him and knows he has been stupid.”  “He lost loads and the money he did win he has given away – so he is the loser in the end.”

“I feel sorry for Dan but I am right behind him all the way.”

It’s always natural that mothers protect their kids – even when they are grown up – and indeed our best references tend to come from our mothers – mine did. :D

So we can understand Mrs Gosling’s frustration at Newcastle, but Dan also is a grown man now – and needs to take his punishment for something he shouldn’t have been doing.

But from what we’ve seen of Dan since he has been charged by the FA – that seems exactly what he is prepared to do – and good for him.

At least he knows he’s still got his mother’s support, and that’s always great to see.

Tags: Dan Gosling · Other News · Premier League

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Reading this headline, I thought there was going to be a ‘My Granny could have scored that’ type story on this thread.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Mar 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM

It’s meant to be an awful addiction, guess we’ll be seeing Dan at some stage in the Hedworth hall when he finishes up, he’ll be lucky to fetch a tenner a head though, Barnavelt is only £ 30 and Chubby Brown £ 20, KK is a whopping £ 55 a head.

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Spoof, we played well last game but it is few and far in between since the puppet has been with us. That should be the approach to every game. Bodies forward and trying to create chances in the box. Classic Pardew is nowhere near that.

Who cares about 8th if we generally put in poor performances across the season and nick goals to get those points?

I can’t help thinking that it was improved due to use being safe from relegation and they could afford a more positive approach.

Again, I like our players and think they could be a lot better as a team with a competent and positive manager in charge.

• 4 G // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Off subject, is there really a story doing the rounds that David Bentley is having a trial at the toon? Or is the works mackem in wind up mode again? I forgot Bentley was even a player.

• 5 mindshaft // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Think we’ll see more attacking style for rest of season – we’re pretty much guaranteed top ten so may as well try to win every game and see where we end up
    Obviously this means we’ll be more open at the back, hull could have scored a few

• 6 mindshaft // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Lol – david Bentley, remember when he was touted as the next big thing

• 7 G // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I rated him during his first stint at Blackburn, but I haven’t seen or heard of him since he was released from Spurs.

• 8 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Laurent

your commenting on matches and a view from last season which was poor, but again it comes down to investment, we didn’t have a squad, both the Ameobi’s played quite a few as did Obertan and Perch, they are not PL quality players and as a result we played poor football, yes we strengthened in January but the confidence had gone and it was a struggle, this season we have played some good football, kept it down and passed and moved, however for a while we were without Remy, Cabaye, Gouffran and Tiote, once again the football was poor, but who did we have to come in for them, Sammy ffs, with a relatively injury free squad we play decent football and get decent result’s, give the man a squad ffs and lets see what he can do, as I said earlier, if Pardew had us any higher we would be challenging the top 4, now come be fair, can we really expect to be challenging them with such a small squad and with such a limited investment, to see the reality of our investment have a look at this table which shows the buying and selling of all clubs over the last 5 seasons, by rights we should not be in the PL, so how can we slag Pardew off when we are 8th.

look at the table closely, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Swansea, West Ham, Soton, the whole lot of them have spent where we have sold.

• 9 beermonkey // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

lol Bentley

his career went down hill when he dumped that barrel of water over old soggy chops

still that made me laugh

• 10 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Laurent

in fact, if you look at the Championship clubs, only Wigan have sold more than us, so that puts us behind Doncaster and bloody Yeovil Town when it comes to re-investing ! for crying out load, what chance has Pardew or any manager for that matter got ?

• 11 Ben3arfa // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Gosling is on 25k a week and his mother has the nerve to attack the club for his foolishness.

“he only did it because there was nothing better for him to do.”

If I was on that sort of salary, Id find plenty more interesting things to do with my time/money than to gamble it online.

Loser

• 12 Ibizatoon // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Gambling debts? I smell an 8 year contract…

• 13 southerngeordie // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Stick her in the midfield, lass sounds like she’s got a bit of fight about her.

• 14 archaeomag // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Probably all started with a £50 load from W@nga . .

• 15 martoon // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM

It really irritates me when people blame everybody but themselves, as Ed says he is a grown man. The club is his employer not his nanny!

• 16 archaeomag // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM

* loan

• 17 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The club has a duty of care to their employees. If a player is suffering from addiction as a result of injury then how is is not the club’s responsibility to make sure he is ok and getting the help he needs?

This is not just a NUFC issue but a wider football issue. More needs to be done to support players who appear to be suffering from addiction as well as mental illness.

It is a shame that this society has such a stigmatic approach to addiction and mental health. So many lives ruined or ended altogether simply because many feel they have to ‘man up’ and go it alone.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

When I did my ACL, my company didn’t send me a card, nobody came to visit to see if I was ok and after a short period I had to work from home. Then I had to hobble to work on crutches as soon as I was able.

Awwww…I have lots of sympathy for poor Dan living in his luxury house with his £25kpw wage allowing him to hire people to cater for his every whim. You know what Dan…why didn’t you try learning a language? Studying football techniques? Look towards your coaching badges? Try your hand at football journalism?

Idiot.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM

David Bentley is a free agent?? I’m shocked floppy chops hasn’t signed him up and paid him £50kpw…

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

On paper, QPRs teams look absolutely amazing. Yet they don’t perform and some people still think he should have been England manager because of his amazing tactics??? He was only ever linked with England because his old persona is like a man of the people. Sure…a man of the people earning millions a year…

• 21 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Ha! Completely weird but just read Bentley’s Wikipedia page and it turn out that floppy chops did try to sign him a year ago and the article says they didn’t because they wouldn’t pay his £50kpw wage! Weird…I was just speculating!

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I love talking to myself…and coffee makes me type even quicker…

• 23 Scottiedog // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Back to Gosling……. There is no excuse for Gambling and he should have looked at what Ryan Taylor has been doing with the Reserves & U18s since he has been injured as an example of a professional of the club!

• 24 Thump // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Isn’t Bentley nearing 30 now? Even for a free agent that wouldn’t happen. Still, that’s what you get for looking after your hair more than your footballing abilities…

• 25 martoon // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

TDSarf – I think you’ve broken the blog :) Agree with you @17 – exactly the same for me when I broke my ankle a few years ago.

• 26 Ben3arfa // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

David Bentley is a typical example of an overpaid young English player losing interest in the game and achieving nothing in his career .

I can easily our friend Dan Gosling following-suit.

• 27 jimmysmith // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I’ve got a theory about David Bentley and his various travails………..he’s thick!

• 28 jimmysmith // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Others think he’s the secret footballer, which would clearly make him not thick, and certainly not on trial at Newcastle if he is, seeing as he’s just written a fairly scathing piece on Pards.

• 29 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM

martoon

I think Dan’s mum also fails to realise that in order to get special treatment, he needs to earn it. Look at the concessions that Colo gets with his family and imagine the treatment that the likes of Tiote, Debuchy and Remy would get when injured. Those players are all great assets to the club while Gosling is highly (over) paid and has contributed about as much as Vuckic or Abeid, i.e. virtually nothing.

• 30 Thump // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM

@jimmysmith: Bentley, the Secret Footballer? Nah, certainly not; TSF can spell his own name, for one. (Which, for the uninitiated, is clearly Dave Kitson.)

• 31 cyprus // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM

He must be feeling embarrassed. His mom coming to his support! Imagine AP’s old lady standing up for him? Even slugging that Hull player with her handbag?

• 32 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Bloody hell heard it all blame your son hinny not the TOON
    got no sampathy for him
    If you want to feel sorry for some one feel sorry for Ryan Taylor
    Been out two seasons but has Ryan Taylor felt sorry for himself and took up gambling

• 33 Mister Tuff // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM

TDS – you posted that to get “special treatment” from your employer you need to earn it. Mmmm interesting.
    You earlier posted that when you had ACL problems -your employers did not send you a card or visit you. Mmmm I wonder why.
    By the way being looked after by your employer is not special treatment – it is what a good employer will do as a matter of course.

• 34 mag // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Gosling another young prospect to fall foul of the Pardew tactics. Pardew llambias and Ashley are all big gamblers that’s how Pardew got his job at NUFC, so goslings mother has a point.

• 35 thevirus // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I’ve heard it all now Mammy putting her oar in for her dear son, fight your own battles and guess what don’t gamble in the first place it’s a mugs game ask your manager he’s a mug as well. As Tds said there are plenty of constructive things he could of done. Plus where the hell was his mother when he needed her that’s bad parenting on my book

• 36 mag // Mar 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Goslings, mother should know better than to put her faith in a man like Pardew, who can’t even control himself.

• 37 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I can sympathise with Gosling as I can appreciate how bored he must be, yes its easy to knock him when he gets paid so much, but he is still human and he would suffer when out injured for so long, however, there have many many footballers who have had long injuries as Dan did and they didn’t end up wasting their cash as Dan has, it’s easy to call and say he could have done this, that and the other, but in all honesty I feel what he was guilty of was not seeking advice from someone who has had a lay-off like Dan himself has, taking that advice could well have mean’t him filling in his time some other way, none of us are above advice are we.

I don’t know what his gambling habits were, all I know is that he did not gamble on either us or Blackpool which makes me think that as with Pardew it is a case of some people making a little bit too much of this story. It’s not as if he was trying to throw a game is it.

• 38 Belfast // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Biggest load of shite, just another bollox fa rule.

Don’t really see what the problem is, if you’re not betting on your own team.

• 39 mag // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM

The sweet FA, are good for nothing jobsworths.

• 40 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Mister Tuff

I didn’t say that nobody cared though. I got emails and texts from colleagues and my line manager, but it sounds as though Gosling’s mum thought he should have got special treatment. I wasn’t one of the top people in my company and neither is Gosling. Are you suggesting Pardew should have been going to visit him regularly? Or a club employee should have asked him if he needs anything from the shops??

• 41 mag // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM

@39 how can you compare a traffic warden to a Premier league footballer?

• 42 Mister Tuff // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM

TDS -your original post suggested you had been abandoned – now you add a bit more info. As far as you suggesting that I was suggesting a visit by Percy or someone to do his shopping -how the hell did you arrive at that.

• 43 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM

If Pardew has this supposed “war chest” in the summer, how about this team with players that we have been linked with and a few I would chose :

——————————Krul——————————-

–Debuchy——-Caulker———M’biwa——–Haidara–

————–Sissoko———————–Tiote————–

—Cabella—————–Grenier——————Remy—

——————————–Ba——————————-

Subs: Collo,Dummet,Anita,Marv,HBA,Gouff,De Jong

That team and bench would be amazing .

• 44 NEoffers.co.uk // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Mums are always going to behind their sons

Make sure you treat yours this Mothers Day with our range of Mothers Day Offers and get MORE for LESS with NEoffers.co.uk.

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Mister Tuff

Not quite abandoned! And I can’t believe Gosling was either.

I imagine Pardew would have visited his senior players though as that relationship is crucial. But I’m not sure what Gosling expected.

• 46 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM

TDS

has Gosling himself complained, I thought it was only his mother who had complained, as far as I am aware all Gosling has said is that he accepts that he was wrong and used boredom as an excuse, I could be wrong but I didn’t know that Gosling had actually complained, so I don’t believe that Gosling himself actually expected anything, but like I say I could be wrong as I haven’t really paid too much attention to this non story.

• 47 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Going to try this again see if my posts are going to actually going through

• 48 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Hallelujah, my posts weren’t being published earlier and I was getting incredibly frustrated because every thought that comes into my head and out of my fingertips is pure gold.

Clearly one can understand my frustration.

• 49 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

There coming through Ruddy !

• 50 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM

@47

Hmmm ?

• 51 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Spoof

That was my point. Gosling would have to be an idiot to expect special treatment. He’ll get some stuck I’m sure! Mother’s should not get involved in their kids’ jobs!

• 52 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Spoof

I typed a post a few hours ago that didn’t appear – it was about the stigmatisation of addiction and mental health in this country and how the ‘man up’ approach is very damaging.

Was hard hitting stuff, but didn’t appear.

• 53 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Spoof

Also, I was being sarcastic about every thought of mine being pure gold.

• 54 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

TDS

they shouldn’t but they always will, it’s in there blood, I’me 47 year old with 2 older brothers and our mother still treats us as if we are 7 year old’s, but I wouldn’t have her any other way, bless her ? so like I say, this is a bit of a non story really.

• 55 Thump // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Christ, NEOffers doesn’t miss a trick, like.

• 56 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Ruddy, try posting it again, we could do with a topic to talk about, this Gosling not betting on either us or Blackpool is quite bland, we could do with something to get our teeth into, even if it’s not football ?

• 57 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Ruddy

you being sarcastic, now I find that hard to believe ?

the Hmmm was being sarcastic as well ?

• 58 Ian Toon // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Deluded as ever! HuffPost readers are only too aware as has been highlighted by regular subscribers.

• 59 Ancientcoptic // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I always find it amusing when some of the Saints on this blog sit in judgement.

It is his own money to do what he wants with, there is obviously a conflict of interests if he is betting for/against the club he plays for… but it does not sound like he has been deliberately cheating.

Fair play to his Mother for coming out and defending him, it is clear to see he comes from a family that cares about him.

If players want to gamble, waste their money on women or generally swing from the chandeliers – that is their business… so long as they are doing their duty for the club.

I don’t recall Gosling asking for sympathy over this. It makes you wonder why people are asserting that he is.

• 60 Mike's Iron Curtain // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Just another molly-coddled footballer that will forever remain a boy in a man’s body.

I’m working class, but it always makes me laugh when the working class lambast ‘posh boys’ and ‘spoilt brats’ that have lived sheltered lives and need to grow up, when there are just as many poorer equivalents. I departed from almost all my childhood friends, because they were going nowhere and had no ability to step out of their surroundings and be an individual instead of ‘going with the flow’ and becoming an ill-educated, council estate stereotype – gambling , binge drinking into black outs, scrapping, misogyny, casual racism, lack of financial nous, insular in their convictions about the world. It’s a self-reinforcing societal phenomena, each holding the other back, under some tacit understanding of loyalty.

Gosling is just another English football clone, suffering from a lack of imagination more than anything else, on the pitch and off it, which is apparent in the broader national team and it’s structure and methods.

Nothing to do but gamble – how can he be so weary and devoid of curiosity and a zest for life at such a young age?

As an aside, I always admire those rare few players that walk away from a football career and the cosy amounts of cash it provide, because they have the integrity to recognise that their hearts aren’t in it and they wish to pursue other things. The last one I can remember doing that, I think, was a young Forest lad a couple of seasons ago. Might be wrong.

• 61 Spoof // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Mike

a bit strong m8, all the lad has done is have a bet and then see his mother go over protective for him ( which mothers often do ) to compare Gosling as those who you have described is a bit much, give the lad a break, it’s not as if he was gambling against his own side.

• 62 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Ciaran

It’s different when someone has an addiction to when someone is betting on football when bored. He could have gambled on something else and it wouldn’t be against the rules. Different story.

• 63 Mister Tuff // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM

mikes iron curtain ——wow your paragraph two -well that was a blast against certain sections of society. For the sake of blog clarity what about the following :-
    Council house dwellers………………………………….OUT
    Dole Wallahs………………………………………………….OUT
    Shell suit brigade……………………………………………OUT
    Unemployed…………………………………………………..OUT
    Thicko’s………………………………………………………….OUT
    Those with childhood friends………………………..OUT
    Posh boys……………………………………………………..IN
    Ugly bastards…………………………………………………OUT
    Percy………………………………………………………………OUT
    Mr Tubbs……………………………………………………….OUT..

• 64 mindshaft // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Jeez the kids had a few bets, by all accounts it wasn’t large amounts of cash , its like he’s done a chopra
    Obviously a journalist has asked his mum about it and she gave her opinion – I don’t think he’s asked her to go out and defend him
    Suddenly everyone’s got the highest morals in the country – I wasn’t even aware you could get internet access in a monastery

• 65 mindshaft // Mar 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I guess your ISP has blocked your pron access then

• 66 Transfer Sage // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I don’t know the exact procedure for rehab on his injury but surely te club arranged all the medical care, after care and rehab programme for him?

Online gambling is his own problem, as he has said so fair play, as there is plenty more he can do with his amount of free cash.

Hope he gets himself sorted, not a bad kid.

• 67 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Tony Blair he is a upper class nob trying to say he was a newcastle fan the liar hes never been to a game since keegan was here al these posh nobs are spoiling football it used to be a working mans game now the royal lot are in on it just coz of al the money

• 68 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM

And the labour party is posher than the tory party hows that happen bloody blair thats how al these rules in football if a player falls down the ball gets kicked out why its spoiling the match when teams are on attack a player drops like hes been shot the ball gets booted out attack over bloody stupid rule

• 69 Average_Contents // Mar 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Remy out for 3 games with calf injury Debs out 4 weeks with groin injury oh n colo is straight back in the side! So yanga goin right back again? No mention of Santon or HBA. Things,looking bleak with 2 of our most consistent performers out! I know let’s break out the shamamobi ;)

previous post: Alan Pardew To Speak Today About His Seven Match FA Ban