Newcastle United Get Blasted By Player’s Mother

Dan Gosling’s mother Hilary has today criticized Newcastle United for not supporting her son when he was out injured – after he first arrived at Newcastle in the summer of 2010 – and had nothing else to do – but gamble.

dan gosling wonga st mirren

Dan Gosling – in action for Newcastle

Dan Gosling admitted an FA  charge of betting earlier this week, and that relates to Rule 8B of the FA rules, and like Alan Pardew before him, he will seek a personal hearing .

This is what Dan’s mother Hilary has said today from Devon:

“No one from the club came and supported him when he was laid up,” “He said he will learn his lesson and that he only did it because there was nothing better for him to do.”

“Dan admits that he was stupid and was betting out of boredom more than anything else.”  “He couldn’t even walk with his knee injury and the online betting firm were fine while he was losing.”

“He is fine in himself, he said he will take what is coming to him and knows he has been stupid.”  “He lost loads and the money he did win he has given away – so he is the loser in the end.”

“I feel sorry for Dan but I am right behind him all the way.”

It’s always natural that mothers protect their kids – even when they are grown up – and indeed our best references tend to come from our mothers – mine did. 😀

So we can understand Mrs Gosling’s frustration at Newcastle, but Dan also is a grown man now – and needs to take his punishment for something he shouldn’t have been doing.

But from what we’ve seen of Dan since he has been charged by the FA – that seems exactly what he is prepared to do – and good for him.

At least he knows he’s still got his mother’s support, and that’s always great to see.

• G

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Reading this headline, I thought there was going to be a ‘My Granny could have scored that’ type story on this thread.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM

It’s meant to be an awful addiction, guess we’ll be seeing Dan at some stage in the Hedworth hall when he finishes up, he’ll be lucky to fetch a tenner a head though, Barnavelt is only £ 30 and Chubby Brown £ 20, KK is a whopping £ 55 a head.

• Laurent Robert 32

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Spoof, we played well last game but it is few and far in between since the puppet has been with us. That should be the approach to every game. Bodies forward and trying to create chances in the box. Classic Pardew is nowhere near that.

Who cares about 8th if we generally put in poor performances across the season and nick goals to get those points?

I can’t help thinking that it was improved due to use being safe from relegation and they could afford a more positive approach.

Again, I like our players and think they could be a lot better as a team with a competent and positive manager in charge.

• G

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Off subject, is there really a story doing the rounds that David Bentley is having a trial at the toon? Or is the works mackem in wind up mode again? I forgot Bentley was even a player.

• mindshaft

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Think we’ll see more attacking style for rest of season – we’re pretty much guaranteed top ten so may as well try to win every game and see where we end up
    Obviously this means we’ll be more open at the back, hull could have scored a few

• mindshaft

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Lol – david Bentley, remember when he was touted as the next big thing

• G

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I rated him during his first stint at Blackburn, but I haven’t seen or heard of him since he was released from Spurs.

• Spoof

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Laurent

your commenting on matches and a view from last season which was poor, but again it comes down to investment, we didn’t have a squad, both the Ameobi’s played quite a few as did Obertan and Perch, they are not PL quality players and as a result we played poor football, yes we strengthened in January but the confidence had gone and it was a struggle, this season we have played some good football, kept it down and passed and moved, however for a while we were without Remy, Cabaye, Gouffran and Tiote, once again the football was poor, but who did we have to come in for them, Sammy ffs, with a relatively injury free squad we play decent football and get decent result’s, give the man a squad ffs and lets see what he can do, as I said earlier, if Pardew had us any higher we would be challenging the top 4, now come be fair, can we really expect to be challenging them with such a small squad and with such a limited investment, to see the reality of our investment have a look at this table which shows the buying and selling of all clubs over the last 5 seasons, by rights we should not be in the PL, so how can we slag Pardew off when we are 8th.

look at the table closely, Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland, Swansea, West Ham, Soton, the whole lot of them have spent where we have sold.

• beermonkey

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

lol Bentley

his career went down hill when he dumped that barrel of water over old soggy chops

still that made me laugh

• Spoof

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Laurent

in fact, if you look at the Championship clubs, only Wigan have sold more than us, so that puts us behind Doncaster and bloody Yeovil Town when it comes to re-investing ! for crying out load, what chance has Pardew or any manager for that matter got ?

• Ben3arfa

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Gosling is on 25k a week and his mother has the nerve to attack the club for his foolishness.

“he only did it because there was nothing better for him to do.”

If I was on that sort of salary, Id find plenty more interesting things to do with my time/money than to gamble it online.

Loser

• Ibizatoon

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Gambling debts? I smell an 8 year contract…

• southerngeordie

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Stick her in the midfield, lass sounds like she’s got a bit of fight about her.

• archaeomag

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Probably all started with a £50 load from W@nga . .

• martoon

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM

It really irritates me when people blame everybody but themselves, as Ed says he is a grown man. The club is his employer not his nanny!

• archaeomag

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM

* loan

• Ciaran

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The club has a duty of care to their employees. If a player is suffering from addiction as a result of injury then how is is not the club’s responsibility to make sure he is ok and getting the help he needs?

This is not just a NUFC issue but a wider football issue. More needs to be done to support players who appear to be suffering from addiction as well as mental illness.

It is a shame that this society has such a stigmatic approach to addiction and mental health. So many lives ruined or ended altogether simply because many feel they have to ‘man up’ and go it alone.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

When I did my ACL, my company didn’t send me a card, nobody came to visit to see if I was ok and after a short period I had to work from home. Then I had to hobble to work on crutches as soon as I was able.

Awwww…I have lots of sympathy for poor Dan living in his luxury house with his £25kpw wage allowing him to hire people to cater for his every whim. You know what Dan…why didn’t you try learning a language? Studying football techniques? Look towards your coaching badges? Try your hand at football journalism?

Idiot.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM

David Bentley is a free agent?? I’m shocked floppy chops hasn’t signed him up and paid him £50kpw…

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

On paper, QPRs teams look absolutely amazing. Yet they don’t perform and some people still think he should have been England manager because of his amazing tactics??? He was only ever linked with England because his old persona is like a man of the people. Sure…a man of the people earning millions a year…

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Ha! Completely weird but just read Bentley’s Wikipedia page and it turn out that floppy chops did try to sign him a year ago and the article says they didn’t because they wouldn’t pay his £50kpw wage! Weird…I was just speculating!

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I love talking to myself…and coffee makes me type even quicker…

• Scottiedog

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Back to Gosling……. There is no excuse for Gambling and he should have looked at what Ryan Taylor has been doing with the Reserves & U18s since he has been injured as an example of a professional of the club!

• Thump

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Isn’t Bentley nearing 30 now? Even for a free agent that wouldn’t happen. Still, that’s what you get for looking after your hair more than your footballing abilities…

• martoon

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

TDSarf – I think you’ve broken the blog 🙂 Agree with you @17 – exactly the same for me when I broke my ankle a few years ago.

• Ben3arfa

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

David Bentley is a typical example of an overpaid young English player losing interest in the game and achieving nothing in his career .

I can easily our friend Dan Gosling following-suit.

• jimmysmith

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I’ve got a theory about David Bentley and his various travails………..he’s thick!

• jimmysmith

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Others think he’s the secret footballer, which would clearly make him not thick, and certainly not on trial at Newcastle if he is, seeing as he’s just written a fairly scathing piece on Pards.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM

martoon

I think Dan’s mum also fails to realise that in order to get special treatment, he needs to earn it. Look at the concessions that Colo gets with his family and imagine the treatment that the likes of Tiote, Debuchy and Remy would get when injured. Those players are all great assets to the club while Gosling is highly (over) paid and has contributed about as much as Vuckic or Abeid, i.e. virtually nothing.

• Thump

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:43 AM

@jimmysmith: Bentley, the Secret Footballer? Nah, certainly not; TSF can spell his own name, for one. (Which, for the uninitiated, is clearly Dave Kitson.)

• cyprus

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM

He must be feeling embarrassed. His mom coming to his support! Imagine AP’s old lady standing up for him? Even slugging that Hull player with her handbag?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Bloody hell heard it all blame your son hinny not the TOON
    got no sampathy for him
    If you want to feel sorry for some one feel sorry for Ryan Taylor
    Been out two seasons but has Ryan Taylor felt sorry for himself and took up gambling

• Mister Tuff

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM

TDS – you posted that to get “special treatment” from your employer you need to earn it. Mmmm interesting.
    You earlier posted that when you had ACL problems -your employers did not send you a card or visit you. Mmmm I wonder why.
    By the way being looked after by your employer is not special treatment – it is what a good employer will do as a matter of course.

• mag

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Gosling another young prospect to fall foul of the Pardew tactics. Pardew llambias and Ashley are all big gamblers that’s how Pardew got his job at NUFC, so goslings mother has a point.

• thevirus

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I’ve heard it all now Mammy putting her oar in for her dear son, fight your own battles and guess what don’t gamble in the first place it’s a mugs game ask your manager he’s a mug as well. As Tds said there are plenty of constructive things he could of done. Plus where the hell was his mother when he needed her that’s bad parenting on my book

• mag

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Goslings, mother should know better than to put her faith in a man like Pardew, who can’t even control himself.

• Spoof

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I can sympathise with Gosling as I can appreciate how bored he must be, yes its easy to knock him when he gets paid so much, but he is still human and he would suffer when out injured for so long, however, there have many many footballers who have had long injuries as Dan did and they didn’t end up wasting their cash as Dan has, it’s easy to call and say he could have done this, that and the other, but in all honesty I feel what he was guilty of was not seeking advice from someone who has had a lay-off like Dan himself has, taking that advice could well have mean’t him filling in his time some other way, none of us are above advice are we.

I don’t know what his gambling habits were, all I know is that he did not gamble on either us or Blackpool which makes me think that as with Pardew it is a case of some people making a little bit too much of this story. It’s not as if he was trying to throw a game is it.

• Belfast

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Biggest load of shite, just another bollox fa rule.

Don’t really see what the problem is, if you’re not betting on your own team.

• mag

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM

The sweet FA, are good for nothing jobsworths.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Mister Tuff

I didn’t say that nobody cared though. I got emails and texts from colleagues and my line manager, but it sounds as though Gosling’s mum thought he should have got special treatment. I wasn’t one of the top people in my company and neither is Gosling. Are you suggesting Pardew should have been going to visit him regularly? Or a club employee should have asked him if he needs anything from the shops??