The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – It Was Stupid – I Must Become A Better Manager

3:20 pm, Thursday, March 13th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Alan Pardew has given his press conference today, and as expected he has talked about his headbutt on David Meyler almost two weeks ago, and has said he must become a better manager, and the Londoner has already talked to the LMA (League Managers Association) about some steps he can take.

alan pardew close up half smiling

Alan Pardew - I musty become a better manager

This is some of that Alan has said today:

“It was stupid. It was an independent panel and I was always going to accept their punishment. I sent a letter to Steve to say I was sorry and that I deeply regret it.” “At the time I did not think it was bad as it was on TV.”

“I must have watched it 2,000 times now. The bottom line was I should never have got involved and walked forward when Meyler pushed me.” “It is a relief my job is safe. Men make mistakes. I make mine in front of millions of people.”

“I must become a better manager, I have 678 games and only had one touchline ban. I spoke to the LMA about some consultant issues I could look at. I am going to sit down from now on.” “I will get my head around it, and the way to take the team forward.”

“But I won’t take out my desire to win, and I have to channel it the right way.”

Actions speak louder than words, so we just hope the manager takes advantage of what’s available to him – perhaps some anger management classes, and maybe he sits in the stands from now on, and relays messages to John Carver on the touchline.

And there’s been some bad news today on the injury front, as Mathew Debuchy is out for the next four games, and Loic Remy could be out for up to three games,  after they both picked up injuries playing for France last week. :D

That’s a severe blow to Newcastle United.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Ciaran

Ok. Two different issues then. I was wondering why you were talking about addiction on an unrelated thread…

I would say that the FA has a duty only in so much as helping players in the unnatural environment that they find themselves in. Young men usually with little education often finding themselves getting paid more in a week than they would have got in a year had they not become a footballer (say they had got injured). Then we have the long-term injured, which must be very tough for someone when football is their whole life and suddenly they unable to work, unable to play sport and they can’t live the routine that they are used to. Finally there is the risk to ex-players who suddenly have that routine, money and buzz taken away. The FA has a duty to help those people get into a new career I’d say.

But as for the rest of them…I don’t think the FA has any more responsibility to them than any other employer.

Depression is an over used word in this country and is often used incorrectly in the same way that “flu” is used instead of “cold”. But calls to “man up” don’t help, you’re right. People need the support of the friends, family and often their employer too. But the only reason that footballers get preferential treatment to other employees is because 1) they can pay for it and 2) they are expensive assets.

I wonder if a member of the catering staff for a football club would get the same treatment as a footballer if they were suffering from depression…

• 2 Ciaran // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM

TDS

My bringing up of this topic is in response to the cavalier attitude that some people have towards those who find themselves in a spiral of gambling to alleviate boredom – that easily leads to addiction as I have personally seen that happen to someone close to me.

This cavalier attitude also led me to consider the cavalier attitude many have to depression, something you yourself have demonstrated. If someone came to you saying they had the flu you would say ‘man up’ you’ve just got the cold. You seem to indicate a willingness to take the same tact if someone revealed they were depressed – which is incredibly unhelpful and will lead many to not reveal that they are suffering from depression. Who are you to second guess another person if they claim they are suffering from depression?

Whether you are prince or pauper, footballer or catering staff, there is a duty for the employer to take an active role in the welfare of their employees – that transcends football. Simply because a footballer has more resources with which to deal with his mental health issues does not make it any easier for him to take the active step of dealing with it.

Gary Speed had riches beyond our wildest dreams, yet he couldn’t deal with his demons. Money means nothing when it comes to mental health and I’d imagine those with money who find themselves in the grips of depression would be able to tell you that.

• 3 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Darnsarf makes me feel depressed with al that rubbish he writes he goes on and on worse than my missus

• 4 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Probably only Southampton will catch us. We have a 12 point lead over West Ham, Villa and Stoke. Surely we can finish 9th? Not that it really matters vs 8th as it is probably only a few million in the bosses pocket we’re talking about. We’ll see what next season will be like without Remy again now. Will we be able to score? We’re going to find out. And no Debuchy either. Thanks France.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM

If Remy is out for a few games I’d prefer either to recall Campbell and give him a run alongside LDJ or give Arma a chance. Particularly against Fulham who are woeful….

• 6 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Men are actin like women now talking about colds and flu a kick up the arse would cure al that whinging

• 7 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Are Fulham going to stay woeful with Magath though Lilongwe mate? I wonder. And how will we play without Remy. Could be a close one unfortunately. We must be the strangest team in professional football.

• 8 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Depression can be tough but you have to get on with it as me dad says. Have some young ladies run barefoot through your chest hair. That kind of thing. Beautiful.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM

GeordieTwo,
    I think so, they are lacking in most areas. That is why I’d like Campbell or Arma to get a go. Playing off LDJ who offers a better link would be a useful yard stick to judge them by.

• 10 rex // Mar 13, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Bloody week men moanin on brylcream and a woodbine proper blokes

• 11 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Campbell isn’t doing much on loan in a weak league Lilongwe mate. And is Armstrong ready yet at 17? Pardew will probably use Cisse with De Jong to start is my bet. I hope for MYM and Haidara or Dummett as full backs. I want to see both of them more often in case Santon stays out of form.

• 12 GeordieTwo // Mar 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM

If Cisse can’t score against Fulham with their defense then he truly is finished. He probably needs 3 or 4 starts in our final games this season to fairly decide what to do with him. For me he has been too poor for too long to keep but who knows with Ashley?

previous post: Debuchy Out For Four Games – Remy Out For Three Games