This Player So Important To Newcastle Through End Of Season

The good news for tomorrow is that captain Fabricio Coloccini returns from his week-long compassionate leave in Argentina, and Colo will be a welcome return at Craven Cottage,  when the Newcastle side have to put up without having manager Alan Pardew in the stadium, as he serves the first match of a three match stadium ban.

fab coloccini crystal palace

Fab Coloccini – welcome return to the side tomorrow

Then for the four matches after that it’s a touchline ban, but at least then Alan will be able o communicate with John Carver on the bench.

But a key figure for Newcastle over the next seven games and through the end of the season is Coloccini, the Newcastle skipper, and Newcastle always seem to play better when he’s in the side, and Colo needs to step up to the plate for Newcastle, starting tomorrow at Fulham.

His leadership will be key to help settle the players down and ensure the game-plan is being carried out, but from what Colo has said on the Newcastle web-site,  he certainly seems to be up for the challenge:

“The manager apologized to us for what happened at Hull and we all accepted that.” “Now we move on and it is all about focusing on the next game and the rest of the season.”

“This weekend will be a bit strange because the manager will not be on the bench. It is normal that he is there but for the next few weeks he will not be.” “However, we have John Carver, who has a lot of experience, there instead.”

“It is not just about John.” “Without the manager there it is up to all the players to step up and improve, and that includes me as captain.” “I always lead the team and give them my opinion, but now I have to help even more.”

“When I am on the pitch, it is my responsibility to pass on the manager’s instructions and lead us.” “Now, that job is even more important without the manager there. I will be there to help John and hopefully we can get some wins, starting at Fulham on Saturday.”

And these last 10 games could be Colo’s last for the club,  if he decides he wants to return permanently to Buenos Aries in the summer to be with his family.

For the record, Colo has now played 201 times with five goals for Newcastle since he signed on from Deportivo in August of 2008, when Kevin Keegan was still manager, and he stayed with the club when we were relegated in his first season on Tyneside.

And Colo was one of the key players for Newcastle in the promotion season,  and was selected in the Championship team of the season in 2010, and he has been playing great for Newcastle over the last few years.

And then a couple of years later he was selected into the Premier League team of the season in 2012, after Newcastle finished in 5th place.

Coloccini has turned out to be a good buy at £10.6M, and we hope for two things – one is that he has a great game tomorrow and shows some real leadership on the pitch – and the second is that he stays with Newcastle through the end of his contract, which still has two years to run from the end of June.

What do you think?

• mag

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

That’s how desperate NUFC, are relying on a statuesque centre halve, who’s best playing days are well past.

• mindshaft

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM

mag – probably sadder that a in your eyes a statuesque past it centre half is still the best we have in that position and is still one of our most consistent players ( when he plays that is )

• beermonkey

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM

we need to cb if we can sell saylor and if colo goes
    not sure good will be ready he wold benefit from another season onloan

so who can we realistically buy preference being English/british

caulker at Cardiff he looked ok coming through at spurs
    cant think of anymore

• rex

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Colacini would have been flogged at any of the top clubs far the way he went on about leaving and being to slow for the premier league he was a good player but hes getting on now he’s still better than that shawcrass though but

• rex

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

2-2 draw is what i reckon the score the morro but id like newcastle to beat fulham and put another nail in the coffin I want them to go down the cockney clubs and keep north clubs up

• Graeme

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Unfortunately Colo now has the turning circle of an oil-tanker, plus he is at least a yard slower this season then last – when coupled with his stated desire to leave, he should be sold as soon as the season ends.

Any normal football club would know they need at least 2 CB’s and would be well on the path to signing their replacement. Likewise with Strikers – we desperately need 2, signed to NUFC and their recruitment should be well under way.

No doubt the heirachy will have an epiphany around the end of July and realise – oops, hey we maybe need a player or 2, now, what should we do about it!!!!

• Ciaran

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Colo is without doubt one of the finest centre halves we have had in living memory. The only one better that I can remember in my lifetime was the oft injured Jonathan Woodgate, and even though I don’t remember him playing I am sure others would probably say Killer Kilcline is in that bracket too.

Colo is a little slower now, but he is as intelligent a centre half as we’ve ever had, though his best days are past he can still do a job in the PL. If he was willing to stay, I’d love to see it happen, but if he really wants to go, we should let him leave.

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

be absolutely awesome to get all three points tomorrow… think we can… think we can.. think we can….

• Ciaran

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Dok

Bugger off with your positive vibes, they aren’t welcome here 😛

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

What’s this about positive vibes? Oh, they aren’t welcome! I have come to the right place after all.

I think we’ll win tomorrow. We should anyway, I just think the players will want to put in a performance for Pardew.

Then again, this is Newcastle…

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

ciaran,

im sorry, itll not happen again… 🙁

ive decided id like to see palace stay up though…

• Ciaran

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Ibiza

I was very positive going in to the Hull game, and other than a certain head-butting incident it was a flawless performance. However, with the news that we are without Debuchy and Remy, we are losing one of our main attacking outlets on the wing via Debuchy and our main goal-scoring threat in Remy.

We should still have enough quality to dispatch of Fulham because they are worse than awful, but for some reason I am not going into this came hopeful.

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

oxygen is too good for ashley…better?

• Ciaran

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Dok

Pulis and his spectacular brand of non-football? Personally I’d love to see a Pulis led team go crashing down but it doesn’t look like it will happen.

It looks like it will be Fulham, Cardiff and AN Other (personally I think it will be West Brom who will go down)

• Ciaran

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Dok

Much better 😉

Right you two, I can’t stay unfortunately, must get the head down again. Be good!

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

ciaran,

“incident???” that was grand theft forehead, assault with a deadly weapon (brain), and instigating all rollled into one… pards should thank his lucky stars he didnt get lethal injection… lol, blackley would be proud of that ….

by the way, im being sarasctic….

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Well no manager, no Remy, no Debuchy

But c’mon, it’s f**king Fulham!!! 3-0 to the toon! Sissoko LDJ and Goofy to score!

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:29 PM

see,

ive been on the blog long enough to know just how to yank ciaran’s chain and wind him up lol!!

• cyprus

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I think that third team will be our friendly neighbours…
    I have a feeling we’ll lose tomorrow. Too many ready excuses. No manager, no goal scoring CF (really, who’s going to score), Gosling’s mum upset with NUFC, etc.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Ibiza mate…maybe we should have told you, but Pardew won’t be there tomorrow 😉

…I don’t think it is like the team try to make him look bad on a regular basis?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Ciaran…This is also true, but hey, a bit of blind optimism never hurts 🙂

Go on then, p*ss off and get your head down.

Dok..Don’t say that name! Don’t want my head to start spinning if you summon him to the blog 😉

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Jesper…Fear not mate, Pardew is always with us….in spirit!

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

i heard the wwe is giving pards a 9 week contract to him…. hell be the relative of brutus the barber beefcake… who was known for his headbutts…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Ibiza…also when his 8 years is up? 😉

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM

sorry ibiza, my bad… he is quite the tool, huh?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Dok…I’m not sure that’s such a good idea. The last thing they need is Pards going rogue and killing someone with one of his devastating headbutts.

Even Tiote is cowering about the place in fear.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Dok…No comment, just going to enjoy the peace 🙂

Jesper…Forever and always! He’s a part of all of us now.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Ibiza…there you go and wreck my day again 🙁

…and you call yourself my friend?

• DokToon

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM

once a boorish colonial, always a boorish colonial.. my apologies, ill not say a word about he who shall not bbe named

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Jesper…I never claimed to be a good friend 🙂

Are you still on a Newcastle watching sabbatical?

Dok….That’s a good lad. How’s things your side of the pond? Have the natives stopped weeping from my departure yet?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Ibiza…yep 😀

…but I will probably pup in tomorrow after the game to ask how is was….you know courtesy and all that!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Jesper…Is it any less stressful or is it merely giving you 90 minutes extra?

As for courtesy, what a gentleman you are 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Ibiza…very much so mate!

…I don’t try to work around the game but just focus on what I have planned for the day! And yes those 90 mins. does come in handy 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

…you know sometimes I do forget how nice I am !

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Jesper…And does this sabbatical have any timelines or conditions attached? I.E You wont watch anymore whilst Pardew remains?

Chatting about Newcastle has become hard work 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Ibiza…just for the rest of the season mate 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Jesper…I know you can be very forgetful…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

…I’ll revalue in the summer how I feel!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM

We need a strong summer, some changes are definitely needed. I don’t personally remember a time where fans were so disconnected from the club, for whatever reason.

It should certainly be an interesting one.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Ibiza…what were we talking about?

1 2 3 5