The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Still On Very Thin Ice At Newcastle

9:00 am, Saturday, March 15th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 66 Comments

We really hope that Alan Pardew has learned from his most recent escapade on the touchline as the Newcastle manager, and he either fixes the problem – by taking some anger management classes or whatever it takes to control that fiery temper of his – or decides after his touchline ban of seven games, that he will sit in the stands during the games, so such touchline incidents cannot happen in the future.

Alan Pardew Jose-Mourinho st james' aprk-6265518

Jose Mourinho and Alan Pardew at St. James’ Park – I love you man

But it seems that after the tumultuous news coverage of his head butt on David Meyler, he has been given support by some of the managers in the Premier League.

And he even says it has strengthened his relationship with owner Mike Ashley and we have to think Mike and Alan have talked one-on-one after the incident – and more than once.

Alan Pardew has been talking to the Shields Gazette and this is some of what he had to say:

“It’s nice to hear from your senior managers. I’ve had a few calls. I have to say they’ve lifted my spirits.”

“When the Press are being so critical, as they were, it’s nice to know people still care about you in the football community.”

“The working part of  the football community  is with you.”

And one of the managers who gave Alan a lot of support after the most recent altercation was Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho – the special one – who had this to say about Alan:

“I like Alan. We speak on the phone not every week but almost every week. We are good friends. I had a very good relationship with him even when I was in Italy and Spain.”

“I spoke with Alan a couple of hours after the incident and he knows that he made a mistake and he knows he has to pay for the mistake. ” “But for me, more important than that, he is a good friend and he is a great guy.”

“Was Alan’s mistake that we are not used to seeing? Yes, it was, he’s willing to pay for it.”

It’s good that Alan Pardew got some support in the last two weeks – but he has to change and change quickly.

He shouldn’t confuse the better relationship with Mike Ashley and the support from some of the top PL managers as anything too positive, because if he does this stuff again he’s in really big trouble – and we mean big trouble.

If this kind of thing happens one more time, he’ll be fired by Mike Ashley – and quite honestly if it does happen again – he’ll deserve to be fired.

Alan Pardew cannot keep creating bad headlines around the world, for a club with the great traditions of Newcastle United.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

66 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:06 AM

My first match of the season! Shame I’m going to be in the Fulham end…

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Maybe he could combine those anger management classes with some football lesson classes!

…that black book of his is either very empty or is looks like my logbook ;) full of drawings! lol

*It is no dig – I like the guy, but I just don’t want him as our manager! It is as simple as that.

• 3 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM

ding dong to score

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Jesper

Why can’t you just get behind the team and manager? At least until the end of the season and reassess it then. It’s not as if there are outstanding candidates queuing up for the job…

• 5 geordie157 // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Are we still talking about this. Pretty sure there’s a game today!

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Tds…you need to be able to separate the team from both the manager and the owner.

…they are not the same mate ;)

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM

…what you are asking is called the lemmings effect and I don’t swing that way!

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM

To my neither Mike Ashley or Alan Pardew has nothing to do with the Newcastle I support and never will!

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

*me

• 10 firebug666 // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I fancy us to put a few goals past Fulham today, I know we are missing two of our very best players in Debuchy and Remy, but even so, LDJ to score today and maybe more than one, (just being greedy) and Sissoko maybe for another, but if he plays with LDG linking up Cisse may get a brace.

Now back to my real life fantasy:

4 – 0 to Toon today.

• 11 Greebol1892 // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Does anyone remember how dodgy Coloccini was in the first season he joined us? And yet people are already writing MYM off as a shit defender since we shipped 6 vs Liverpool……

This lad actually wants to play for the shirt and should be our Captain and 1st-choice CB. Shame our manager can’t see that. Yet Colo will come straight back in while he still can’t read long direct ball towards our box. Fcukin scandalous. Hopefully time will tell but such a class player won’t sit on the bench forever…..

We SHOULD beat Fulham easily…. HTL

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Jesper
    Like or not you can’t seperate the manager and the team, they all come under one group

Just look at Colo’s comments earlier in the week, like it or not the lads obviously have respect for Pardew and he’s as bigger part of the team as anyone

• 13 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Firebug
    Glad to see others are also optimistic!

I went with 3-0 with LDJ Sissoko and Goofy (Goofy seems to like scoring away against London clubs!)

We need to start fast though today, Fulham will come out fighting and our bench may look a little thin without Remy Debuchy or HBA in the match day squad

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Jesper

But why on earth not? Pardew represents our club in the same way as the players. He’s not as good as SBR in the same way that LDJ is no Shearer.

Mike Ashley is a businessman and I neither support him or want him gone. That’s all he is, the owner. I don’t demand that Richard Branson leaves when a train is late or Cameron resigns when my local council don’t fix potholes. And yes, he’s made some bad decisions but so have many of the players.

I just don’t see the point in so much negativity. Isn’t that a mackems job?

Pardew has done a decent job this season, I’m not sure what people like you actually expected from him…

• 15 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:00 AM

tads…it is working well for me!

…if you guys cannot do that then that is your problem mate!

*You guys need to do what works for you and I’ll do what works for me :) I don’t take part in the lemming effect!

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Tds…you confuse criticism with negativity mate.

I you cannot separate the club, from Mike and Alan then that is fine with me mate – to me that have nothing to do with each other.

I have no problem looking at the situation we are in critically and ask questions. My support has a price – I don’t follow unquestionably.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I’m with TADS

And I think once a player or manager has been backed by the club, then the fans should back them too. Anyone who represents my club with the dedication and passion that I demand deserves my respect and support. That does not include Ashley because I don’t feel he represents my club at all and I didn’t support JFK because I don’t think he represented my club with the dedication and professionalism required.

There is not one single player or staff member that I want to see leave this club. Sure, I’d like to see better players in the first team than the likes of Saylor, Shola and Obertan but they still play for my club and I think they deserve our support.

• 18 John Tudor // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM

ciao bella

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Working well for you?

You slate the way the team play
    You don’t watch the matches anymore
    You don’t seem to like much about NUFC at all come to think of it

How is that working for you?

It’s not the lemming effect at all mate, it’s Newcastle United, the word on the end being key lad
    Nothing lemming like about not jumping on the bandwagon

Enjoy the game…..

• 20 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM

tds…that is fine with me mate :) I am not really asking if you or tads agree with me ;)

• 21 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Jesper

Like I said, I see Ashley as different because he doesn’t represent the club in any way, he just owns it. He doesn’t make decisions on match day either which is what I really care about.

But Pardew does. Pardew is part of the team that has got us to 8th place and has a good spirit. Pardew didn’t hire JFK, sell Cabaye or fail to get a replacement for him in January.

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Jesper

No problem! :-) I’m not telling you what to think or that you’re wrong you’re entitled to think what you want. I’m just offering another perspective.

If you haven’t noticed, I’m fine with people offering different perspectives, as long as they’re not making out that their views are facts and that anyone who disagrees is an idiot…

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM

tads…that is excatly the lemming effect!

….asking someone to get behind the team and manager unquestionably is the exact definition of the lemming effect.

The lemming effect:

“a metaphor for people who go along unquestioningly with a group with potentially dangerous consequences.”

The “Lemming Effect” is an innate psychological phenomenon, a survival trait, an inborn instinct in the majority of people.

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM

TDS
    Spot on mate
    Enjoy the game today, if the weathers good highly recommend a pub called the old ship
    Not really a typical match day boozer but great place for a couple of jars, terrace garden out on the river, bout just over a mile from the ground, great place!

• 25 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Who said anything about unquestionable support?

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM

tds…no worry mate ;) I don’t act like that all. There is room for everyone here as long as we behave civil to one and another!

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM

tads…well I have asked to get behind the team and manager! Just like that – there is really no questions asked there!

…I don’t know where you are going with your comment at # 12 and on?

• 28 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM

*was asked

• 29 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Jesper
    I haven’t asked you to get behind anyone mate

I said that you can’t separate the manager from the team, he picks the team, sets the tactics, trains with them day in day out, he’s part of the squad
    At no point have i said you have to support them unquestioned or even back them

Come 3 o’clock I’ll be cheering on NUFC because it’s my choice, haven’t told you to do the same at all

• 30 toon kk // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM

What happened with Pards has happened, now we have to move on.
    our biggest problem is only having one goal scorer at the club who’s on loan and now he’s injured. We will struggle to score to he’s back.

• 31 firebug666 // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:24 AM

If I may put in my two penneth, I have no love for Alan Pardrew, and think we could do a lot better. However a lot better is not waiting in the wings ready to step out onto the stage. Under our present regime new managers may baulk at the very idea of coming to Newcastle. That said, AP is very much a part of the team, he is the man who will choose the 11 players who will take to the field, he is the man who will choose the formation and tactics for the game and then the substitutes to be made, so he is very much part of Newcastle. I may not agree with his choices at times (most of the time) but we have to accept he is here for the long term and how we deal with that is up to us.

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

tads…where that may be true that has no bearing on my support to Newcastle!

..a manager come and go that is the nature of life.

I react to the impact this is having on the club I support by not following the games and I will not support Pardew when is comes to football. I have no ill will towards him!

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM

firebug…the discussion I had with tds was not about whether Pardew or the tea lady “was part of Newcastle” organizational, but whether you cannot support Newcastle without supporting the owner or the manager!

…I have no problem doing that, but tds and tads does. And that is fine with me.

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM

TADS

Thanks! Meeting some (Fulham supporting) friends at the White Horse in Parsons Green first. Got seats in the Fulham end too you see…

Will have to muffle my support a little today sadly…

• 35 toon kk // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Alot call for Pards to be sacked but he only works with what Mash is reluctantly getting in.
    It wouldn’t matter who was our manager 8th is probably the best we can do with the squad we have.
    Trouble is if Remy and Cabaye aren’t replaced we will struggle next season.
    Mash likes to save money also a gamble so who knows what next season holds.

• 36 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Jesper

That was not what I said at all! I can’t speak for TADS but I don’t think he did either!

Some people say they support Newcastle but don’t rate the owner, manager, staff or half the players. I think they act like mackems personally but they still claim to support Newcastle.

I think you SHOULD support Pardew because he is our manager and he’s doing his best for the club, just as you should support Shola or Saylor because they represent our club too.

I think fans have every right to question decisions made by those representing our club and also the commitment they have, but I’d prefer to make those views clear at the appropriate time.

I say get behind the whole team until the end of the season and then decisions can be made on how to move forward. Chances are that Pardew will be our manager next season so are you still going to battle against the tide?

• 37 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:43 AM

TDS
    Don’t worry about disguising it too much, well outside the ground anyway, there a sound bunch the Fulham fans, always a great away day

• 38 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Jesper
    That really isn’t what was said in any way shape or form

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM

but tds/tads…then why did you react to by stance?

• 40 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Jesper

Because you said you didn’t want him as our manager. I don’t understand that unless you’ve got a very specific reason for thinking it any more than I understand people who don’t want Remy, Saylor, Cisse or Colo to represent our club.

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM

And you said Pardew has nothing to do with the Newcastle you support. Well he does. Tough luck. If we were in League One then it’s the same club too. You can criticise but you shouldn’t pick and choose who you support at the club. They are all together so being overly critical of one of them is a knock against the whole unit.

• 42 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM

tds…but shouldn’t you worry more about what you want instead of trying to understand what I want?

reading your reply at #4 you ask me “why can’t you just get behind the team and manager?” You already had my answer in my comment at #2!

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM

tds @ #40…Pardew does not have anything to do with the Newcastle I support.

…he will leave one day and Newcastle will still be standing and I will still be supporting Newcastle.

That is a separation I can make – it seems you cannot?

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM

tds…so what was it I got wrong in my comment at # 32? when reading your comment at # 40 you just seem to confirm what I just said!

• 45 Ciaran // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM

‘Being overly critical of one of them is a knock on the whole unit’

That wouldn’t happen to include ol Mike Ashley too now would it?

• 46 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Jesper
    Out of curiosity, if you have separated Alan Pardew/the whole coaching staff and Owners/DoF’s etc from the NUFC you support and the team then why don’t you watch the team anymore?

• 47 mindshaft // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Hoping for a win today against a poor Fulham side

• 48 Ibizatoon // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Hmmm….I have a new bar above the comments box…wtf have I downloaded?!?

Let’s see if it’s any use:

Test 1:

• 49 Ibizatoon // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Brilliant. It does absolutely nothing!

It’s my equivalent ;)

So, everyone in high spirits before the game?

Who needs a manager? Who needs your top goal scorer? Who needs goals? Who needs points? Wait, what was my point?

• 50 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Mindshaft
    Really hope we can pile on the misery for them, nout against Fulham, but want to see us push as far up the table as we physically can, if we hit 7th/8th then next seasons targets should be 6th/7th and the squad should be improved suitably during the summer
    I’d hate to see us simply coast to the end of the season

Last week they played a front 2 of a player new to the PL and youth academy player
    Really can’t see them lasting the 90 mins without cracking
    They’ll come out fighting, but think they will crumble

• 51 rex // Mar 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM

2-2 draw against fulham delong to score and sikoko for fulham the new forward mitroglu will score newcastle always let new forwards get a goal

• 52 Mister Tuff // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Trying to suggest that your football club equates to being on a similar plane to your local council or your local train service provider -astounds me. It means a damn sight more than that. If folks really think this way – well I doubt I’ll be able to convince you otherwise – maybe if you checked out Sir bobby’s immortal words -you might get the idea.

• 53 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Jesper

So will the players. So do they deserve insults and boos when they are trying their best?

• 54 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Ciaran

If you’re going to comment on my posts, I suggest you read them fully to get the context. I already answered that question.

• 55 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Mister Tuff

Exactly. It’s more important than that! And it’s something that needs support more than those other companies. Players and managers thrive on positive vibes from the fans. How would you like to hear criticism of you in your job when you know you’re trying your best? I’d think the person being critical is ungrateful.

• 56 mag // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Ashley should sack Pardew for allowing NUFC, to be a national joke due to pardews total loss of control, this will follow pardew and the club everywhere they play.

• 57 Kamikaze Koala // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM

With all due respect, anyone who says were fine at 8th/9th and Alan Pardew has done well with what he has is( im sorry) is a moron, he accepts everything are owner does in’s/outs/Cabaye/jfk so takes full responsibility of continuing to get the best out of HIS team that fact that he doesn’t and still gets support is pathetic

• 58 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM

tads…you are strange character sometimes…asking strange question you already know the answer to.

…some might called you arrogant if you don’t mind me saying so? ;)

• 59 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

tds…if you want to boo the players and you believe it is justified then do so. Don’t try to draw parallels to something I am not saying nor thinking.

….further more I don’t have a comment to that question sorry!

• 60 Mister Tuff // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM

TDS – try to take this to probably the ultimate analogy possible. What should be the correct response if your local cancer surgeon/consultant really was not up to speed -but was trying their best. I don’t think many folk would accept it. By the way I’m not saying that dangerous medical conditions equate to football -just saying that so the loonies don’t jump in with daft allegations.

Back to the match – on paper we should be too good for them -even taking into account we do not normally do well there. 3 – 1 to the Toon -and Carver sent off.

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM

tds…you think a person being critical is ungrateful just because someone is “doing the best he can”?

…seriously?

• 62 Mister Tuff // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I see Benny has been allowed to go back home and will not be in the squad. Will apparently be trying to get fit when he returns. I am becoming slightly suspicious of all these injuries to our French players but who knows.

• 63 The next Mike Williamson // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Just looking at Fulham’s squad and had no idea how bad it was. If they go down I’d consider bidding for Hangeland & maybe Burn (just because he’s a geordie)

I think WBA will join them and I’d consider for Beranio, Craig Dawson, & Olsson

Other potential targets from teams going down could be Caulker from Cardiff, Ashley Williams, Bony & Shelvey from Swansea, Redmond, Bassong, Hooper & Fer from Norwich

• 64 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Right…off to Fulham… :-)

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Well it is time to spend quality time with the family :)

…have a nice game lads! Talk to you later.

• 66 toonluvva // Mar 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Pardew’s job is safe at NUFC for as long as we are in the Premiership.

Relegation into the Chumpionship will see A$h£€¥ drop him like a hot brick.

A$h£€¥ loves his TV revenues too much to show any loyalty to anyone but SportsDirect.

Next season will be interesting as I expect A$h£€¥ to gamble on clearing out players and trying to avoid relegation with a limited squad.

Mark my words Pardew’s days are numbered, the worry is who will A$h£€¥ bring in on the cheap?

previous post: Alan Pardew Unfazed By Striker’s Comments