Newcastle Linked With Top Young Central Defender

Newcastle have been linked with young 22 year-old center-back Kostas Manolas of Olympiacos, and the youngster has already played six times for Greece.

Kostas Manolas 98

Kostas Manolas – 22 year-old center-back

We were first linked with this youngster last year, and it seems that Alan Pardew is very keen on the player, and if we do get Manolos to Tyneside, it will be the first Greek player top arrive at Newcastle since Nikos Dabizas joined us in the 1998.

Nikos was very popular on Tyneside and stayed at the club for six years, playing under Sir Bobby Robson most of the time.

The 22-year old Manolos appears to be an outstanding young prospect, and Everton and Spurs are also said to be interested in the player – in addition to Newcastle.

The 22 year-old had this to say to the Greek press on Saturday:

“My wish is the wish of the president of Olympiacos. If the President wants to sell me, I will leave. If he wants to keep me, I am very happy at Olympiacos.”

“I perform at my maximum level every time I go onto the pitch. Whenever I play, I want to help the team as well as I can,”

There are two center-backs who could leave Newcastle in the summer – captain Fabricio Coloccini and local lad Steven Taylor – and if any one of them do leave then Newcastle will need to bring in a top young stopper.

And there could be a number of new players arriving in the summer, and we expect most of them to be 26 years old or younger, so this player fits the bill nicely.

Kostas started his career at Thrasyvoulos back in 2008, and in 2009 he moved to AEK, before ending up at Olympiacos in July of 2012 on a free transfer.

He has played 67 times with six goals for Olympiacos, so he can score goals, and he played 85 times for AEK with six goals before moving to the Greek powerhouse.

David Moyes was interested in the player two years ago when he was still at AEK and Moyes was at Everton,  and he may want to take him to Manchester United this summer.

And from what we saw of the Red Devils in yesterday’s 3-0 home defeat by Liverpool, they will need to buy big time this summer.

This is the type of player Newcastle should be interested in, but whether we are a big enough club these days and can get the deal done is another matter.

What do you think?

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Never heard of him

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Yes get in I’m 1st

• Transfer Sage

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Still think we will get 4 players in at least as I can’t see Ashley willing to take a huge gamble like last season, going in under prepared, having to spend 20mil in january and still only just survive.

I think we will have enough to keep us safely in the lower end of the top 10, no progression, just maintaining our position.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM

To be honest I think we need more than four and that’s just starting with our forwards

• Transfer Sage

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM

welsh

I agree we need probably 6/7, but i think if we got 3 forwards and a cabaye replacement, providing nobody leaves, then we will be where we were the start of this season (providing they are decent players) and that will be enough for Ashley to see us by in 8-10th.

• TikiTakaAcca

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM

@WelshGeordie9

Your comment made me laugh.
    How can you not of heard of this guy, one of the best young CB’s in the game, has even been oustanding in the CL this season.

In other news, there’s no chance in hell we’d be able to sign this guy, he’ll be at a top 6 team in the world soon.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Say we get 3 forwards would and cabaye replacement what about

S Taylor
    Collo
    Obertan
    Gosling
    Ben arfa
    Marv
    Gutierrez
    Deb

If they all go they need replacing, that’s 12 players and there’s been talk of all of those players leaving

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Well I’m glad that I made somebody laugh on here

I honestly haven’t heard of him, perhaps I should get out more

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I know nobody cares about about obertan and gosling but you still need to replace them

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:51 AM

If this guy is good, how come none of the big teams hasn’t been in for him

• welshgeordie9

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Where have you 2 gone, am I on my own

• Rotonda heights

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Jail

I don’t think anyone’s praying for us to lose. most of us wrote the season of a long time ago but despite all of ashley’s failings, ie appointing Pardew, JFK and wonga, are you seriously suggesting we didn’t have the players to beat Fulham who had a 19 year old rookie as their main striker and a bunch of journeymen.

yes we can’t compete with the man cities etc, but come on this is Fulham.

• lesh

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM

If we expect to recruit a number of players this summer, let’s hope that they’re brought in as soon as the window opens.

Recruiting half a team, the squad’ll need time to gel and I hope that what is to many of us is patently obvious is not overlooked by Ashley and his cronies who’re more concerned with the contents of the purse rather than spending it wisely.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM

If Moyes was interested two Years ago??

Mmmmmm ! Lets see now its achoice between Manure and us???

Be honest now! What would you do in the same situation?

This aint going to happen me-thinks !