Newcastle Face Increased Competition For Top Midfield Target

Sports Direct News is reporting today that Newcastle will face increased competition, if they still want to sign Montpellier winger Remy Cabella this summer.

remy cabella98

Remy Cabella – Newcastle face competition

Newcastle tried to sign the Montpellier play-maker in January, but for one reason or another we were not successful, but it’s expected Newcastle will go after this player again in the summer and try to get him on Tyneside.

The clubs who are now said to be interested in the 24 year-old include Manchester United and the two Rome clubs – Roma and Lazio.

Manchester United need a clear-out this summer and will bring in a number of new players, as this season has been close to a disaster in this David Moyes’ first season as the Red Devils manager.

Newcastle have stumbled badly since the turn of the year, yet we are still only 5 points behind Manchester United, and we have to play them at St. James’ Park, where another win is a possibility and our first league double in 150 years against them.

Of course I’m just kidding – it’s only 149 years. 😀

The Roma link may be based on Roma manager Rudi Garcia’s time managing Lille from 2008 before he moved to Roma last summer, and he will know all about Remy Cabella from seeing him play in the French League.

Roma are also on the lookout for possible replacements for midfielder Miralem Pjanic, and the outstanding 23 year-old Yugoslavia-born play-maker is expected to leave the Rome club in the summer.

And Lazio have just sold 28 year-old Brazilian Intentional central midfielder Hernanes to Inter Milan, and are on the look-out for a replacement – so that’s not unlike Newcastle’s predicament, and we are looking to replace Yohan Cabaye, who left for PSG in January.

Newcastle should have money to spend in the summer with the club expected to get £80M from the Premier League in May, and we also received £20M for Cabaye in January.

But the fact that Newcastle cannot offer players European football could impinge on our chances of getting some of our top targets – like Remy Cabella to the club in the summer.

Note: Lewis Williams is in his final year at the University of West London (UWL) studying for a BSc (Hons) in Construction Management, and he is busy on his dissertation on Site Waste Management Plans and he has a survey he needs filled out.

This survey is for anyone who has been part of a construction project (past or present) that used some form of waste management on the project. See if you can help him with they survey here.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Repost,
    Firebug,
    I’m not even sure players will come in, I’m sure Shola will be given another year on peanuts, Good will replace Collo and another striker will come in on loan, we might get that Cabella or other young French kid after a protracted saga, if we don’t get him, they’ll have shifted the goal posts and the over the line, quality in the building patter will be spewed, we’ll see how we’re doing in January, if looking good we might even be able to offload Tiote, if not the signings that should have been made in the summer will arrive which will result in a barren summer as we done all our business in January, big spoon fulls of lies and deceit.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Rome May be – I doubt it

Lazio – They bought Hernanes’ replacement b4 selling him i.e. filipe Anderson

ManU – Could happen if they do not qualify for UCL and their 1st choice targets stay away.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM

“We couldn’t get him over the line”

• firebug666

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM

REPOST

Jail
    Pretty much echoing my own thoughts. It seems that each transfer window we are told we did not buy because the market is not right in that window, but we will get the players we want in the next one. Each window is the same old story, and the club think the fans are unfair when we kick up a fuss about it.

The club is run by morons, and lead by the king moron, who all seem to think we will just sit back and keep taking this awful bull.

If fans stopped going to game King moron would use cardboard cut outs and crowed recordings to hide his failure.

In the end we cannot win so we just get swept along in a sea of no information or lies without direction.

Oh the joy of supporting our beloved Newcastle.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM

jail

He didn’t gamble this year in my opinion, it was clear we had enough for a top 10 finish i thought anyway.

Next year without remy, shola, de jong and cabaye from this season i see him spending enough to get things sorted to keep us around 8-10th again.

Just my view though, i may well be wrong

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Say what? We may face competition for our targets?

Well I never. I guess that means their price may well inflate too? Wages could be a concern as well.

Quick…get Gosling and Shola on new contracts before it’s too late!

• Rotonda heights

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I think it’s brilliant if Armstrong etc are given a chance to come through. I just wish we had competent staff to develop them which is tragically not going to happen with old school people like Pardew, Carver and Stone.

I wonder if the 50000 who turn up religiously will consider the fact that the top 5/6 will all spend big, all have good managers (Moyes not so much) and will get better..

We won’t spend big and are left with a dinosaur in pardew

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM

TS,
    It could be argued that a club that finished fifth was good enough to finish tenth despite extra EL games but we all know that football games can’t be calculated on spreadsheets, imo taking a team that had been trounced ten-nil in their last three home games of the season into a new season without strengthening was a huge gamble, look how important Remys goals have been, a big injury to him alone at the start of the season would have us locked firmly in a relegation scrap.

• firebug666

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM

The faceless one at Newcastle will claim they are working hard behind the scenes, but it is very difficult in today’s market to get players over the line. In reality TS is about right, 2 or 3 players in to keep us mid table, and panic only if we are fighting relegation in January.

I used to love the transfer windows, sitting by my computer with transfer live windows open waiting for that little message that says Newcastle have signed ????
    now I hate it when the window opens, and try to avoid the sports news as much as possible.

• mindshaft

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Cabella ain’t coming … end of!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

firebug…I can see where you’re going wrong mate.

Under Ashley, we no longer look to the transfer windows and a form of excitement or entertainment, no no, that’s what the idiots do. What we wait for, with baited breath I might add, is the yearly accounts.

I assume you didn’t get the memo?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM

or bated breath 🙂 I’m not fussed really.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

jail

I guess but at the same time we have those 5 players from january who were settling in and going to have more of an impact this season, which they have and even cisse was scoring some goals last year, not totally baron like he is now.

I predicted 10th at the seasons start so we are about on par for what i thought so far, i think replacing cabaye and the out going strikers will see us safe again (providing we get the right quality in).

I don’t see us trying to progress though, that’s a real shame but seems the reality under Ashley.

• firebug666

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Ibizatoon

Hahahah, yep must have missed that one, When you hear how we cannot compete with these other teams like Swansea etc. I hide away from the accounts too.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM

TS,
    As I said yesterday the only good that will come from sacking Pardew is that we MIGHT get a better brand of football we will not regularly finish higher as he will never be given the tools to consistently have us doing better than Pardew is now, and how long this new exciting manager will hang around under the restraints Mikey imposes is a different matter.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza

I am genuinely not too concerned with the football and transfer dealings of the club, not the best in the clubs history but nor the worst.

It’s the worst I remember though for communication with fans and the such obvious lack of ambition, clearly stated by the club is what is turning myself, and many i know off from the club at present…obviously still passionately want us to win everything just know we wont.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM

firebug….Hide away from the accounts? No wonder you’re finding it hard to enjoy NUFC these days.

I understand Ashley is playing with the idea of changing from black and white stripes to rectangles, so we look more like a spreadsheet.

There were also plans of introducing a new chant at the ground “Go Accounts”, but with the strong Northern accents, “accounts” came across a little rude.

As for Swansea, just you wait and see. They’ll have the players walking the streets with their little pots collecting loose change to keep the club afloat soon enough. Fans will be forced to pay in to an electric meter as they enter the stadium just to get the power on. Sad times for the Swans, they could use an Ashley, but then again, couldn’t everyone use an Ashley?

• Transfer Sage

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:54 AM

jail

Agree…i said the same, even guardiola or mourinho would at best have us around 6th, couldn’t see us higher and when man utd spend or get a different manager we will not be able to compete (and fairly so really).

• firebug666

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM

mindshaft

I think there is every chance we may still sign Cabella, if a deal is not already done. and I also think he will be interested in joining us, if only to look at us as a way of progressing to bigger CL clubs in his future. The premier league is a great stage for players to put themselves on the world market, so I won’t right of ant deal for him yet.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM

TS…It is also the lack of communication, or at least meaningful communication with the fans that turned me.

I now find it difficult to enjoy certain aspects of the club, as it always goes full circle and I end up going, “what’s the point?”

We may well have a good summer (we need to), but then what? I was all for slow and steady progress whilst I had faith that’s what we were doing, but there are just too many lies and misdirection for me to have any faith whatsoever.

Still, until as a fan base we’re willing to really unite together and discuss the merits of action and what that action may be, nothing will change.

Other clubs fans have shown that if dealt with in the proper manner, change (or fighting change) is possible. The fans need a hero and something to believe in. Even if it’s a far fetched dream, it’s still a dream. We have nothing but affordable reality.

• Spitfire

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Walked through SJP yesterday, passed the Sir Bobby statue and remembered how proud he was of the club and the stadium. I remember reading an article once where he ws showing a journalist ( I think ) around the stadium and he was telling this guy that everything was quality – even the doors were oak not plywood. Just made me think how nothing about NUFC is quality now. We are a Poundstretcher type of club playing spreadsheet football, Sir Bobby must be spinning at 1000 revs per second in his grave.

• firebug666

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Ibizatoon

That’s it you have convinced me now. I am going to tell our lass to forget the divorce, I want an Ashley for my birthday instead.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM

spitfie…I can picture it now…

and here is out trophy cabinet…..tumble weed…and if you look over there you will see our doors are oak…not plywood!

Jokes aside, that’s what we need right now. Someone who is genuinely passionate about the club.

TS & Jail…Special managers can do special things with teams. There is no reason to think that someone who really got involved and inspired the players couldn’t do better than Pardew is. For me the real issue is how long could someone keep that up for within the circus that is Mikeys management?

Anyone who cares that much, wouldn’t be able to avoid confrontation with the man and we all know how that would end.

Nice and cheery in here today…pleased I can do my bit!

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Spitfire
    Probably not oak anymore!!!!! 😉

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Firebug…That is tremendous news. Not only have I saved a marriage, but I’ve also brought together another family with an Ashley.

Sometimes life can be hard, but it’s moments like these that make you realise it’s all worth it.

A few things you should understand about caring for an Ashley.

1) One way or another, you will end up hating him.
    2) He is likely to put up advertising boards all over your house.
    3) He wont communicate with you directly, but some shady acting has been may well turn up occasionally and swear at you, followed by a monthly newsletter.
    4) Keep him out of sunlight
    5) Never get him wet
    6) Never feed them after midnight (But make sure you feed him constantly between 8am and midnight or he’ll get really grumpy).

Right, I guess I best get on with some work. I suppose I could start a new project. How much would you guys pay for an Ashley doll?

It’s multipurpose. It can act as a voodoo doll, an evening doll (Blackley…you know what I’m talking about) a childs toy, a dog chew…the possibilities are endless.

Heck, it could even be our new DOF!

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Sooner rather than later Alan Pardew’s luck will run out. Then what?

• AusMagpie

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM

———— Krul ———–
    Mbiwa – Willo – Colo – Dummett
    ——- Tiote – Anita ——-
    Sissoko — Ben Arfa — Gouffran
    ———– De Jong ———

Surely this is the best team we could field?

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Ibiza
    So basically Ashley is a Gremlin!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Only if you break rules 4-6. Otherwise he’s a cute and cuddly pr*ck.

HD…This is Pardew being lucky? Uh oh…

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM

tads,
    Them doors will be a sitting room floor in that flat in Derby where they go for their SD pi$$ ups, right next door to the ASDA where a lackey goes for the cheap booze and Chinese, pick up only to save on a delivery charge.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Why doesn’t Ashley rename Benton as Sports Direct Complex?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Oh good…the “why doesn’t Ashley” game…me next! Me next!

Why doesn’t Ashley find a tall building and go to the top and….

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Ibiza
    It could explain the lack of communication and direction from the club if he can only communicate by squeaking “mogwai” before humming a f**king annoying tune!

JFA
    Lol aye won’t be long before the training grounds relocated to Pardews garden cos Ashley wants Benton to play bowls with the Totteridge massive 😉

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM

…invest in it and make loads more money!

Had to stop myself there. Don’t want to upset Mikey, he might not buy any players this summer if we do.

• dufuss

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM

pardew is a world class manager and will get it right
    ashley on the other hand is a world class ar53hole
    the whole situation stinks

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Ibiza,
    It’s all our fault this whole situation for over reacting when he shat on a club legend.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Dufuss

Must be a small world?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Jail…That’s very big of you and the first step towards repairing this broken relationship is to admit to your faults. As you seem to have realised, it’s all our fault, Mikey is doing his very best.

dufuss…World class manager may well be stretching it a little.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM

It’s like saying Ibiza is a world class property Agent

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Ibiza,
    I knew it all along, Mikey really does have the fans, club and region as a whole best interests at heart, he just doesn’t know how to show it, bless ‘im.