The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Finances Healthy – Does Ashley Have Higher Ambitions?

5:19 pm, Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 170 Comments

Newcastle’s finances for the year ended last June 30th are very good, with revenues of £95.9M and profits of £9.9M, the biggest profit at Newcastle for a long time, and with the new  three-year TV deal starting this season, the money given out by the Premier League for the next three years will on average be around 60% higher than it was for the previous three years.

mike ashley  -6208247

Ashley – thinks – should I give Pardew £50M or £60M net this summer?

In the previous TV deal PL clubs got between £40M and £60M depending on where they finished in the league, how many times they were live on TV and some other criteria.

The new three-year deal raises those figures to be between £60M and £100M, so not only is the money going up by an average of 60%, but the spread is also greater – it was £20M and it’s been doubled to £40M.

The PL clubs get paid in May once the season is over so the calculations can be made on what each club will receive, and of course if we finish in 9th place we should get around £80M – last year we got around £40M for finishing 5th bottom of the league.

So when you consider the new TV deal and the extra money, and the fact we also got £20M for Yohan Cabaye in January, there could be big money for Newcastle to spend this summer.

So the chances that Newcastle will be in the black and significantly in the black over the next few seasons seems very high, and there should be money to spend in terms of the profits.

And we will need to spend some money this summer because a number of players – Loic Remy, Jonas Gutierrez, Shola Ameobi, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabby Obertan, Dan Gosling and a few other are certain to be leaving the club.

And players like Ben Arfa will have only one year left on their contracts – and may also be sold – so Newcastle get something for the Frenchman, before he becomes a free agent next year.

But the real important questions are how much will owner Mike Ashley give to Alan Pardew to spend in the summer, and how does Mike Ashley plan to use the profits in the coming seasons?

The owner has already allocated big money into turning Benton into one of the best training complexes in Europe, and that’s an excellent move and a big step forward – credit where credit is due.

And it’s also within the owner’s best interests to make Newcastle into a club that can challenge for the top four in the Premier League, and participate in the Champions League – it’s basically an investment in the future.

If Newcastle could do that, then the value of the club would go up significantly, (Mike could sell for a profit!), and the revenues (and profits) would go up too.

That’s not only because of the Champions League money, but also because Newcastle could charge more for their strips deal – and could get more commercial revenues coming in.

So it will be interesting, at the very least, to see how much money Mike Ashley allocates to be spent this summer  – and the net is the important figure – not the gross.

On gross spending we generally make a profit in the transfer windows as we did in January – a £20M profit in fact.

If the net transfer money paid out is huge, that may tell us that Ashley’s ambitions for the club have been raised.

We’ll know better when September 1st rolls around, but we are really hoping that Ashley will spend some big money this summer.

Newcastle showed two years ago and Everton are showing this season, that clubs can challenge the big boys like the two Manchester clubs (assuming United will recover from their disaster this season), Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham, with some good savvy transfer deals.

We hope that’s what Newcastle will do this summer – and it’s looking like it could be the most important transfer window for Newcastle United in a number of years.

What do you think about this?

Note: Lewis Williams is in his final year at the University of West London (UWL) studying for a BSc (Hons) in Construction Management, and he is busy on his dissertation on Site Waste Management Plans and he has a survey he needs filled out.

This survey is for anyone who has been part of a construction project (past or present) that used some form of waste management on the project. See if you can help him with they survey here.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

170 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Well here I am. The site keeps freezing up on me mates. But discussions of nothing happening on here are unacceptable jesper mate! Everything happens on here! This is the centre of the universe. This is Funky Town. Please try to keep up jesper. Ibiza have a word with him won’t you?

• 2 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Oh Ed, always there for us. I ask for something to talk about and alas, we get the topic of finances! :)

• 3 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM

G2…I think you should contact Ed about having funky town as some background music to the site.

As for talking to Jesper, he seems to be ignoring me. Even after my enquiry to NEOffers about a nice IPhone cover for him. Simply rude, but very manly.

• 4 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Admit it jesper! Is this or is this not Funky Town? Or are you still on the previous post mate? Ibiza and I are here waiting patiently for you.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

The trouble is, it’s not in his best interests to spend money on making us a club that can compete with the top six, he has proved time and time again he is happy with the status quo and is happier to gamble on our demise by spending nothing than gambling on our success and putting his very short arms into those very deep pockets.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Jail…Well, there is no guaranteed financial benefit for pushing on from where we are now, so I fail to see why all of a sudden he would change or alter his approach.

• 7 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’m training my honey badger Chunky to bite Mike SmallBerries on the testicles. Just thought that might cheer you all up.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I’m off for a little while, if anybody sees Ian Toon tell him to have the balls to answer my posts instead of posting random rubbish that has nothing to do with me yet is addressed to me then staying away till I’m not about and posting more ramblings.

• 9 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Miss Nubbins, come down off that trapeze! You’re distracting me while I’m trying to blog! Harrumph!

• 10 Ben3arfa // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Mike Ashley’s ambition for NUFC lol

• 11 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Grooving to Running up that hill while I blog as well. Beautiful.

• 12 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Does anybody else have any viscious pets they can train to bite Mike SmallBerrie’s testicles? Just curious.

• 13 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Only ambition Ashley has is to leech more money out of the club.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Talk to you later then jail mate.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

G2…Who would have a pet that isn’t trained to bite testicles? I don’t understand.

It’s as confusing a concept as Ashley, ambition and spending money.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

That’s a good point Ibiz mate. What was I thinking?

• 17 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Kate Bush Cloudbusting also pretty cool as well.

• 18 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

G2…I think you’ve been thinking about Mikeys small berries too much. Whilst a noble act of kindness, I imagine it could have a detrimental impact on ones thought process.

Although, Mike Smallberries is a great name for a cartoon character. Shame we get the real life version.

• 19 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Can we all agree that the official topic for this post is viscious animals that bite Mike SmallBerries testicles?

• 20 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Excellent blogging @18 Ibiza mate. You’re absolutely right. Actions speak louder than words anyway. Chunky is ready to do the business.

• 21 cyprus // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

What’s the deal with our most talented player, HBA? Remy isn’t even in our team, really.

• 22 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM

G2…In Chunky we trust. He mustn’t fail, he cannot fail, smallberries shall never prevail!

• 23 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM

The deal is he’s lost confidence cyprus mate @21, and he’s sick of sitting on the bench. He’s right pissed off he is. He’s busy training his honey badger as well.

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Ibiza…thank you mate!

…you know you like BJ (you just say you don’t) ;) lol

• 25 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Cyrpus…It’s either he had a family issue and had to return home, that he had a knock, that he was too fat or that he was too lazy. Take your pick.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

We have no worries there Ibiza mate. Have you ever seen a hungry, highly enraged honey badger work over a pair of small berries? Enough said I should think mate.

• 27 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Jesper…I’ve never said I don’t like BJ! Wait, you’re talking about Bon Jovi…no, I definitely don’t like that. Errggghhh :)

• 28 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

G2…I have not witnessed that first hand, but it makes for some enjoyable YouTube watching.

• 29 Ian Toon // Mar 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The London Standard are running with news of Wenger wanting Calum Chambers to replace Sagna who is apparently set to reject a new deal.

Of more interest is that Standard Sport claim that Wenger’s search for a new right-back could have an impact on the future of Carl Jenkinson, who is believed to be a target for the toon who would be keen to take the 22-year-old to St James’ Park on a season-long loan deal. They claim that we have already enquired about the possibility.

• 30 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM

GT…I have returned mate from the last thread and bring good news!

…this is indeed funky town ;) a place where we can discuss football, Giraffes and Kate Bush without anyone passing judgment ;)

….BUT I will now stand for anymore Pardew punishment related nonsense, how Cabaye likes the bench at PSG or Robbie Savage and his dance competition on BBC!

• 31 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Ian…The Cockney Mafia Standard? Too easy? Yeah, I thought so too.

I’m not sure why we would be looking for a young RB to bring in on loan tbh. Doesn’t sound like a club that are looking to promote their own youth players.

Oh and JFA left a post for you earlier in the thread.

• 32 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I once had a viscious dog go after my Big Berries! Very worrisome event I must say. Somehow he managed to miss but I still live with the memories. A bit of PTSD there I think. Harrumph.

• 33 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Jesper…You will now stand for those things? Please make up your mind.

Right folks, you heard him, back to Pardew punishing Cabaye for dancing like a savage on the BBC.

• 34 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Cyprus…rumors has it Benny doesn’t understand Pardew’s tactics and they are making he look bad ;)

…not that I understand them either, but then again I am not playing (and I turn off the Telly any way lol)

• 35 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Ibiza…sorry there were only room for 300 words!

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

…sorry letters!

• 37 toonbrother // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Mike Cashley only has higher ambitions for his belly.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

If I could reach through my laptop I would slap you :D

• 39 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Jesper…That is a lot of apologising on your part. All if forgiven! :)

• 40 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

or is….No, I shall leave you in suspense. If!

• 41 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Doesn’t anyone else have any viscious animal/Berry attack tales to tell? Miss Nubbins put those handcuffs away! I’m busy right now.

• 42 Ian Toon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Ibiza- I trust your in fine fettle and in good spirits. You always were one not to let the buzzstards to get you down.

Thanks for the heads up on Jail- he shouldn’t be too confused because I know him but he is yet to place me. I gave him a few clues but that’s as far as I am prepared to go.

As for your Irish mate, I almost feel sorry for him having being dropped by the Huff Post before he kicked off- he talks a good game!

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM

GT…good to see you have Kate Bush on repeat :)

…reminds me of the question I asked you about “Wuthering Heights”! Who is this Heatchiff fella? and what about Cathy? Has she really come home and is it as cold as she says it is?

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM

GT…I know a guy with a “killer Chinchilla”! Will that do?

• 45 mag // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM

The chubby billionaire wants to get the club sorted out by parting company with plonker pardew and invest in some class footballers instead of running the club into the ground.

• 46 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Ian…To be honest, I don’t really want to get involved with whatever this feud is you lot have going on. I did try and mediate, to the best of my ability, but I get the feeling that no one is really that interested and perhaps prefer the aggravation these tit for tats produce.

So, perhaps we’ll stick to footballing matters or tit for tat that involves just you and I?

You haven’t been about much, from what I’ve seen. Have you reassessed your views on all things Newcastle? I’m finding it harder and harder to see the light or what direction the club is going. It seems the push for stability has returned to the usual circus.

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Ibiza…sorry! ;)

• 48 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Jesper…You will be! :)

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Ibiza…you will soon be on my side and put this OV nonsense to rest ;)

• 50 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

While we’re on the topic of performance art, I have to admit I consider blogging to be a form of modern performance art. With a one piece leotard on and the right music in the background it really is Funky Town on here mates.

• 51 eric // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

He brags about all the money he’s making out of the Toon invest some serious cash and show your ambitious Ashley.

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

GT…you just like the leotard mate ;)

• 53 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Jesper…OV? Blimey, you’re having one of your senior moments again! :)

What is your side? That we can do better than Pardew? If so, of course we “can”, but as you are aware, I have a problem getting my head around how or why a better manager would join up with Ashley and if they did how long it would last.

Unless we’re talking about your side of Bon Jovi, in which case, ha, nice one :)

• 54 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Miss Nubbins insists that I break it out every so often jesper mate. I really cavort and frolic well with it on. She is constantly amazed.

• 55 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Ibiza…you don’t need to worry about whether you think we can get a better manager or not!

…anything is possible! The important thing is that one would rather run straight into a sharp edge of a table than to watch anymore of this crap!

That should be reason enough to come over to my side ;)

• 56 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Do you lads cavort much? It can be a real tension easer in bad times. Go ahead try it……I’ll wait.

• 57 bob // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I’m fuming the owner won’t spend out to make us a football force but alan pardews not a very good manager so he wouldn’t give him a big budget to waste on more crap.

• 58 Thump // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

The only way Ashley will ever recoup his losses is if we start winning things. In order to win things, we have to spend money and in order to spend money, Ashley is going to have to gamble and stop the penny pinching. Without that, he’ll be lucky to walk away with what he paid for the club up front.

It’ll take another relegation to get rid of him.

• 59 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Ibiza…don’t bring up the senior topic again…yo-yo is just going to accuse me again of terrorizing those older than me :(

…and thank you for that by the way!

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:24 PM

GT…cavort?

..is that even manly you think? not to mention wooly?

• 61 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I sense tension on here bob and Thump. Try cavorting.

• 62 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Jesper…I suppose this is where personal perspective and opinion come in to play, pesky things.

I for one, was happy enough with the slight improvements we saw earlier in the season.

Anyway, you’re sidetracking me with your talk of wanting better football :) For me, that is not the point, although I agree it should be.

Out of interest, what is it you propose one does, other than simply not watch the games anymore?

I see nothing to suggest Pardew is on his way out, nor would we be the ones to select the new manager. With the current “system” in place under Ashley, I don’t see the point in a change of manager, as footballing criteria counts for little when Ashley is sat pondering who to hire. Surely we agree on that?

• 63 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Going to a board meeting!

…talk to you guys later. Stay Kate Bush and Giraffe-like ;)

• 64 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

It all depends on how you do it jesper mate. If your attempting to avoid a honey badger attack at the time then it can be very manly. I can’t even begin to tell you how fast I cavorted when that viscious dog went for my man berries.

• 65 viv // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Pardew would only waste money on signing De Jong to go with Vurnon and Obertan more examples of pardews idea of good players.

• 66 toon kk // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

A massive summer transfer window coming up, it’s down to Mash whether we have a decent season or it’s our last in the premier league.

The way we are at the moment with Remy out proves we badly lack quality expecially when we haven’t one other goal scorer in the squad.

• 67 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Ibiza…but I don’t see any sign of Mike selling either!

…and since it’s football I am watching I don’t really spend my time thinking about Mike Smallberries when I watch football no one should be asked to watch really!’

It is just plain hurtful – but then again that is where perspective and opinion comes in right ;)

• 68 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:31 PM

The guvnors reckons a few good slappings at boardroom level would put the club right.

• 69 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Wow you really know how to appeal to Mike SmallBerries guvnor @67. He loves that sort of thing mate.

• 70 Ian Toon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Ibiza- I am living in the real world as I believe you are. I have not got any personal vendettas and never have had. I regret not contacting you directly but it would have complicated matters because I would almost certainly not have been able to maintain the anonymity that I feel is necessary.The next 18 months are crucial for me from a career perspective and I will be spending less time in Newcastle as a result. It will become increasingly difficult to build my life around the toon going forward my father thinks I have done very well for this long- LOL.

I read the blog and am pleased things are going so well for you. I will leave comment on the Toon- I don’t have as much respect for Pardew as I briefly had a conversation
    with him recently and he was somewhat too flash and big I am about the whole episode. I have a deep and strong love of our football club and that will not change.
    I hope Ashley will eventually jog on but I really don’t see the carnage that many endlessly trumpet. I am not enamoured with the “action groups” because far too many fans are clueless and ego driven. I did have a look some months ago but in any event can’t spare the time to make it a success all round.
    Then that’s just my opinion.

• 71 bob // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Keeping the deficit down the greedy filthy rich git.

• 72 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM

The guvnor would go through the whole lot like a rabbit.

• 73 Ibizatoon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Jesper & Ian…Don’t think I’m being rude, but I just had a guest arrive, so must dash.

I will get back to you a little later.

• 74 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Pardews twin Moyes is up against it tonight another never won nothing who’s got lucky in his career. The moaning Mancs will be whining at full belt when they get slapped.

• 75 Ian Toon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Jesper – He’s left us in the lurch.
    Hope Villads is keeping you busy. Following your last message to me I am looking out for the Nordic women you see featured in The Bridge – so far no sightings!

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Good evening ladies still moaning and groaning i see

• 77 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Welshgeordie your game for a good thumping on here off some of the knackers that take their sells serious.

• 78 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Toon once give Newport a good hiding 13-0

• 79 Ian Toon // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM

guv- Our record score and didn’t Len Shackleton score 6.

• 80 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM

What about me Ibiza mate? Don’t I get a decent goodbye? harrumph.

• 81 bob // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Aye that thirteen nil was in the old black and white days.

• 82 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Can you explain that again but this time in english

• 83 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM

What game, and what sells

• 84 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Shackleton who was considered to be a football genius.

• 85 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Welshgeordie I mean your okay for a verbal kicking on here aren’t you?

• 86 toon kk // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Mash knows exactly what he’s doing, when he first bought the club I’m sure he had great ideas but with his complete lack of football knowledge everything back fired.
    Now we’re just classed a business and its profits are what counts.
    He seems to get a kick out of getting one over on the fans, he knows fine well he has no ambition for the club, he also knows the majority of fans have no time for him, that’s why he has Pards to take the flack.

His main message is it’s his club and he’ll run it how he dam well likes.

• 87 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM

A good kick up the jacksy would put lardy on the straight and narrow.

• 88 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Shackleton and that wee genius Hughie Gallacher. 133 goals in 160 games. Try that on for size Cisse.

• 89 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM

guvnor

I couldn’t give a rats ass to be honest mate it’s not my fault people on here bite when I say something I mean this blog would be boring if everybody agreed on the same issues I like to be different

• 90 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Len white another great striker

• 91 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Welshgeordie I totally agree water off a ducks back.

• 92 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Hughie had a 0.83 goals per game strike rate. Absolutely amazing stats on him.

• 93 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I thought the saying was crumbs off a fat git’s belly guv.

• 94 Ian Toon // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Hughie was the goal scoring star when last won the League in 1927.

• 95 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Gallagher played 21 times for Scotland and scored 23 goals

• 96 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I don’t like the new blog, has everybody else’s changed or is it just mine

• 97 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM

It’s a bit like manxpie

Hard to work out

Ha ha ha

• 98 GeordieTwo // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I’m thinking of Ashley with that saying. Hughie got 6 goals in 2 games with the Scottish League XI side as well. True genius.

• 99 Ciaran // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM

The sociopath has been let out of the asylum…

Next 18 months crucial to his career? Somehow I think he added one too many ‘E’s in the word career…

Back to your padded cell buddy. There’s a good boy.

• 100 eric // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I can’t see Newcastle ever being as good as in hughie and milburns days not under this fella and Pardew hasn’t got the nous for the big games.

• 101 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Who are are you talking to

• 102 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM

And can somebody answer my last question

• 103 Ciaran // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Welsh

Don’t worry, not talking about you haha

• 104 eric // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Ciaran that sounds scary man.

• 105 viv // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM

What’s a sociopath?

• 106 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Is your layout of this blog changed

• 107 mag // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Welshie the blogs been blagged.

• 108 NKOTB // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM

£20m for Cabaye and £80m from Sky comes to the £100m that “we” owe Ashley. Once this is in his bank account, will he sell?

• 109 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM

So far so good

Can I go tonight without arguing with anyone

• 110 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Good evening mag

See I can behave on this blog

Well for a minute anyway

• 111 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Mag

Don’t you find the new layout crap

• 112 mag // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Ashley wouldn’t sell he’s raking it in and Pardew is his perfect manager who doesn’t rock the boat.

• 113 mag // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Aye welshie its shan I prefer the old format.

• 114 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Where’s Belfast, manxpie and Jeff tonight I like talking to those

Ha ha ha

• 115 Bambams // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I still think Ash will be taking a huge amount of money out the coffers this time….. He will be wanting his hard ‘advertised’ money back.

IMO

• 116 Graeme // Mar 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Geordie Two – be careful how you stroke it mate, those things can give you a nastey nip!! lol

• 117 mindshaft // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Pard’s will get 60% of any money he raises in player sales plus 15 million

• 118 Ben3arfa // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM

What a player Joel Campbell is , we should try to buy him from Arsenal since he most probably will not figure there in the future.

• 119 Jail for Ashley // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Bambams,
    He has to start paying himself back at some stage, even the best accountants won’t be able to hide the Cabaye and TV money this time round and he’s sure as sh!t isn’t going to spend the extra on players, I think this 130M debt which has been the same forever now despite -45M in transfers will finally come down to 115M and we’ll see a net spend of around 12M in the summer,( not including bus fares, wages and agents fees).

• 120 bob // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:34 PM

It’s a canny old match valencias got a canny shiner!

• 121 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Good game valencias got a good whack!

• 122 guvnor // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

A few meaty challenges going in but will the Moyes curse strike?

• 123 clinath@ed // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Welshgeordie….is there an option at the bottom for mobile/desktop? Click on desktop if there is.

• 124 clinath@ed // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Mines got titsup now….

• 125 clinath@ed // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM

…and we’re back!

• 126 eric // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Carragher learn to talk

• 127 Thump // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM

@welsh: be careful what you wish for mate.

• 128 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:57 PM

God this layout is doing my swede in

• 129 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM

What’s happened to Valencia’s eye

• 130 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM

clinath@ed
    March 19, 2014

It keeps going to the old blog then it goes back to the new

• 131 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

That salino player who just got booked for kicking the ball away reminds me of some people on here.

• 132 clinath@ed // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Welsh….clash of heads, mines been swapping all evening.

• 133 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Good match this is at old Trafford, watching Rooney track back our forwards could learn from him

• 134 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Rooney deserves a goal tonight

• 135 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM

welsh…your Swede?

…do you have your own Swede? ;)

• 136 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM

It’s something we used to say years ago, instead of saying you are doing my head in, we used to say you are doing my swede in, but nobody says that now.

• 137 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM

welsh…I don’t think it would be fair to the Swedes anyway ;)

• 138 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I take it you haven’t heard that phrase before.

• 139 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Yeah I know

• 140 beermonkey // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM

so how long till moyes get the tin tack

• 141 archaeomag // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I think I can confirm ED is messing about with format, back to normal now.

• 142 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM

welsh…no I haven’t heard it before, but I sort of got the drift ;)

• 143 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Do Man U fans actually think they have a hope in Hell’s chance winning the Champions League ? .

Hope they draw Real Madrid next .

• 144 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Well I’m going to give myself a pat on the back, for the first time ever on this blog I’ve gone a day without arguing with anybody

• 145 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

welsh…what does mobies mean?

• 146 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Three cheers for welsh

Hip hip horay
    Hip hip horay
    Hiip hip horay

• 147 Jail for Ashley // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Beermonkey, they’re winning 3-0 according to BBC football

• 148 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM

What is mobies

• 149 beermonkey // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM

jail I know

but they been poor all season and some of his line ups and subs are as bizarre as our very own pardew

• 150 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Welsh…that was a question :)

• 151 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM

It’s a sports tv app

Why are you asking

• 152 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Awwwwww……. Poor Van Persie.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer bloke :) .

• 153 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Go on Ferdinand knock him out

• 154 archaeomag // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Miserable Moyes prolongs the agony – so pleased for him and his loyal fans. . . .

• 155 archaeomag // Mar 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

. . .won’t be concentrating on the league for a while.

• 156 jimmysmith // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Ashley is perfectly entitled to pay down the loan he made to the club and perfectly entitled to take out the profits too. I don’t imagine he’ll do the latter as there’d surely be a tax implication, a significant backlash from the fans and he hardly needs the money. I think he’ll continue doing as he is now. Using the club as an advertising vehicle for SD, trying to run it sustainably and putting profits back in. The worst we get from him, in my view, is he pays down the loan without then paying for the advertising, while doing just enough to keep us mid table.

It’d be a fairly cold, calculated and dispassionate way to run an such a grand and iconic English football club, so starved of any success, but then again, there’s no reason to necessarily believe he won’t start putting these increased profits back in to good effect either. In fact, the continued growth of SD perhaps suggests, that he just well might.

• 157 Jail for Ashley // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Jimmy Smith,
    I admire your optomism, but I just can’t see it, there was money there to spend summer before last but he wasn’t interested, he waited till we were in a relagation scrap before spending it.

• 158 midweek weekend // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM

im sorry but can anyone help me, i can not for the life of me access this site on my mobile without getting redirected to a andriod store any ideas how i can fix this thanks.

• 159 RonVanDam // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I’ll be happy if 30-40m was invested into the team this summer and 15-20m in Jan window coupled with few free agents to bolster the squad.

• 160 Jail for Ashley // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Midweek,
    Install adblocker plus and follow the instructions, works a treat.

• 161 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I wonder if Armstrong starts against palace at the weekend.

• 162 jimmysmith // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM

As a fan that miserable window represents a real lost opportunity, but it’s also unclear why we didn’t move. That fifth place finish was unexpected, it’s may be that the right deals were not actually there to be done, or that we genuinely tried and failed or that they might have done things very differently in hindsight.

There’s always money when the owner is worth so much, but he has stated he wants it to be self sustaining and he seems to have acted consistently there. I’m not optimistic, that would be silly with all that has gone on, just think that the increased profits that the club should generate from now won’t necessarily not be ploughed back in. And I’m certainly not optimistic about Ashley’s ability to run a successful EPL club, but even that is not out of the question either. I do seriously doubt it though, because it would appear his heart isn’t in it, he doesn’t like to throw money around, nor does he appear to have the expertise.

• 163 welshgeordie9 // Mar 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Why is it always quiet on the blog when I’m on here

• 164 beermonkey // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM

dunno welsh u aint even argued tonight

• 165 Belfast // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:21 PM

New mobile site ?

Much better

• 166 Belfast // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM

You answered your own question there “boyo”

• 167 dufuss // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:41 PM

yaki da

• 168 jimmysmith // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Anyway, my biggest beef with Ashley is that he’s bought the club fairly recklessly, discovered its far more demanding than he realised and rather than follow through in a way that he is capable, perhaps the morally right thing and showing some largesse for his errors, he indiscriminately wields the butchers knife. Not particularly nice.

• 169 Dingo†® // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM

While I am not an Ashley supporter, it is no hidden fact that he knows how to run a successful business! As with any business aquisition you make a 1, 3 and 5 year bench mark that you feel you can hit and value the business accordingly. Most won’t hit any meaningful profit until after year 5….. if you want a business to make money instantly then start selling drugs.

If indeed he does have ambitions for NUFC to reach the upper echelons of the league then it seems like next season will be the time to motor. With that said I will reserve judgement and keep my honey badger in a cage until after the world cup…..

• 170 Dingo†® // Mar 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Additionally …… it is seeming more and more likely that we will have to do a DiCanio and buy an entire new team in the summer which worries me more than a lot…

previous post: Newcastle And Pardew’s Subsequent Actions Impressed FA Commission

next post: Another Top London Club After Loic Remy