Newcastle’s Finances Healthy – Does Ashley Have Higher Ambitions?

Newcastle’s finances for the year ended last June 30th are very good, with revenues of £95.9M and profits of £9.9M, the biggest profit at Newcastle for a long time, and with the new  three-year TV deal starting this season, the money given out by the Premier League for the next three years will on average be around 60% higher than it was for the previous three years.

mike ashley  -6208247

Ashley – thinks – should I give Pardew £50M or £60M net this summer?

In the previous TV deal PL clubs got between £40M and £60M depending on where they finished in the league, how many times they were live on TV and some other criteria.

The new three-year deal raises those figures to be between £60M and £100M, so not only is the money going up by an average of 60%, but the spread is also greater – it was £20M and it’s been doubled to £40M.

The PL clubs get paid in May once the season is over so the calculations can be made on what each club will receive, and of course if we finish in 9th place we should get around £80M – last year we got around £40M for finishing 5th bottom of the league.

So when you consider the new TV deal and the extra money, and the fact we also got £20M for Yohan Cabaye in January, there could be big money for Newcastle to spend this summer.

So the chances that Newcastle will be in the black and significantly in the black over the next few seasons seems very high, and there should be money to spend in terms of the profits.

And we will need to spend some money this summer because a number of players – Loic Remy, Jonas Gutierrez, Shola Ameobi, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabby Obertan, Dan Gosling and a few other are certain to be leaving the club.

And players like Ben Arfa will have only one year left on their contracts – and may also be sold – so Newcastle get something for the Frenchman, before he becomes a free agent next year.

But the real important questions are how much will owner Mike Ashley give to Alan Pardew to spend in the summer, and how does Mike Ashley plan to use the profits in the coming seasons?

The owner has already allocated big money into turning Benton into one of the best training complexes in Europe, and that’s an excellent move and a big step forward – credit where credit is due.

And it’s also within the owner’s best interests to make Newcastle into a club that can challenge for the top four in the Premier League, and participate in the Champions League – it’s basically an investment in the future.

If Newcastle could do that, then the value of the club would go up significantly, (Mike could sell for a profit!), and the revenues (and profits) would go up too.

That’s not only because of the Champions League money, but also because Newcastle could charge more for their strips deal – and could get more commercial revenues coming in.

So it will be interesting, at the very least, to see how much money Mike Ashley allocates to be spent this summer  – and the net is the important figure – not the gross.

On gross spending we generally make a profit in the transfer windows as we did in January – a £20M profit in fact.

If the net transfer money paid out is huge, that may tell us that Ashley’s ambitions for the club have been raised.

We’ll know better when September 1st rolls around, but we are really hoping that Ashley will spend some big money this summer.

Newcastle showed two years ago and Everton are showing this season, that clubs can challenge the big boys like the two Manchester clubs (assuming United will recover from their disaster this season), Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham, with some good savvy transfer deals.

We hope that’s what Newcastle will do this summer – and it’s looking like it could be the most important transfer window for Newcastle United in a number of years.

What do you think about this?

Note: Lewis Williams is in his final year at the University of West London (UWL) studying for a BSc (Hons) in Construction Management, and he is busy on his dissertation on Site Waste Management Plans and he has a survey he needs filled out.

This survey is for anyone who has been part of a construction project (past or present) that used some form of waste management on the project. See if you can help him with they survey here.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Well here I am. The site keeps freezing up on me mates. But discussions of nothing happening on here are unacceptable jesper mate! Everything happens on here! This is the centre of the universe. This is Funky Town. Please try to keep up jesper. Ibiza have a word with him won’t you?

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Oh Ed, always there for us. I ask for something to talk about and alas, we get the topic of finances! 🙂

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM

G2…I think you should contact Ed about having funky town as some background music to the site.

As for talking to Jesper, he seems to be ignoring me. Even after my enquiry to NEOffers about a nice IPhone cover for him. Simply rude, but very manly.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Admit it jesper! Is this or is this not Funky Town? Or are you still on the previous post mate? Ibiza and I are here waiting patiently for you.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

The trouble is, it’s not in his best interests to spend money on making us a club that can compete with the top six, he has proved time and time again he is happy with the status quo and is happier to gamble on our demise by spending nothing than gambling on our success and putting his very short arms into those very deep pockets.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Jail…Well, there is no guaranteed financial benefit for pushing on from where we are now, so I fail to see why all of a sudden he would change or alter his approach.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’m training my honey badger Chunky to bite Mike SmallBerries on the testicles. Just thought that might cheer you all up.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I’m off for a little while, if anybody sees Ian Toon tell him to have the balls to answer my posts instead of posting random rubbish that has nothing to do with me yet is addressed to me then staying away till I’m not about and posting more ramblings.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Miss Nubbins, come down off that trapeze! You’re distracting me while I’m trying to blog! Harrumph!

• Ben3arfa

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Mike Ashley’s ambition for NUFC lol

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Grooving to Running up that hill while I blog as well. Beautiful.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Does anybody else have any viscious pets they can train to bite Mike SmallBerrie’s testicles? Just curious.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Only ambition Ashley has is to leech more money out of the club.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Talk to you later then jail mate.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

G2…Who would have a pet that isn’t trained to bite testicles? I don’t understand.

It’s as confusing a concept as Ashley, ambition and spending money.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

That’s a good point Ibiz mate. What was I thinking?

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Kate Bush Cloudbusting also pretty cool as well.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

G2…I think you’ve been thinking about Mikeys small berries too much. Whilst a noble act of kindness, I imagine it could have a detrimental impact on ones thought process.

Although, Mike Smallberries is a great name for a cartoon character. Shame we get the real life version.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Can we all agree that the official topic for this post is viscious animals that bite Mike SmallBerries testicles?

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Excellent blogging @18 Ibiza mate. You’re absolutely right. Actions speak louder than words anyway. Chunky is ready to do the business.

• cyprus

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM

What’s the deal with our most talented player, HBA? Remy isn’t even in our team, really.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM

G2…In Chunky we trust. He mustn’t fail, he cannot fail, smallberries shall never prevail!

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM

The deal is he’s lost confidence cyprus mate @21, and he’s sick of sitting on the bench. He’s right pissed off he is. He’s busy training his honey badger as well.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Ibiza…thank you mate!

…you know you like BJ (you just say you don’t) 😉 lol

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Cyrpus…It’s either he had a family issue and had to return home, that he had a knock, that he was too fat or that he was too lazy. Take your pick.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

We have no worries there Ibiza mate. Have you ever seen a hungry, highly enraged honey badger work over a pair of small berries? Enough said I should think mate.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Jesper…I’ve never said I don’t like BJ! Wait, you’re talking about Bon Jovi…no, I definitely don’t like that. Errggghhh 🙂

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

G2…I have not witnessed that first hand, but it makes for some enjoyable YouTube watching.

• Ian Toon

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The London Standard are running with news of Wenger wanting Calum Chambers to replace Sagna who is apparently set to reject a new deal.

Of more interest is that Standard Sport claim that Wenger’s search for a new right-back could have an impact on the future of Carl Jenkinson, who is believed to be a target for the toon who would be keen to take the 22-year-old to St James’ Park on a season-long loan deal. They claim that we have already enquired about the possibility.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM

GT…I have returned mate from the last thread and bring good news!

…this is indeed funky town 😉 a place where we can discuss football, Giraffes and Kate Bush without anyone passing judgment 😉

….BUT I will now stand for anymore Pardew punishment related nonsense, how Cabaye likes the bench at PSG or Robbie Savage and his dance competition on BBC!

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Ian…The Cockney Mafia Standard? Too easy? Yeah, I thought so too.

I’m not sure why we would be looking for a young RB to bring in on loan tbh. Doesn’t sound like a club that are looking to promote their own youth players.

Oh and JFA left a post for you earlier in the thread.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I once had a viscious dog go after my Big Berries! Very worrisome event I must say. Somehow he managed to miss but I still live with the memories. A bit of PTSD there I think. Harrumph.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Jesper…You will now stand for those things? Please make up your mind.

Right folks, you heard him, back to Pardew punishing Cabaye for dancing like a savage on the BBC.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Cyprus…rumors has it Benny doesn’t understand Pardew’s tactics and they are making he look bad 😉

…not that I understand them either, but then again I am not playing (and I turn off the Telly any way lol)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Ibiza…sorry there were only room for 300 words!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

…sorry letters!

• toonbrother

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Mike Cashley only has higher ambitions for his belly.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

If I could reach through my laptop I would slap you 😀

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Jesper…That is a lot of apologising on your part. All if forgiven! 🙂

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

or is….No, I shall leave you in suspense. If!

1 2 3 5