The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I’m Concerned – This Player Needs To Deliver For Us – Pardew

9:40 am, Friday, March 21st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

Hatem Ben Arfa will return to the squad for tomorrow’s home game against Crystal Palace, and he will most likely be given a run-out in the second half, because Newcastle could need his unique ability to get through what is expected to be a tough defensive performance from Tony Pulis’ Palace side.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Manchester City v Newcastle United - Etihad Stadium

Ben Arfa and Alan Pardew

The 27 year-old winger has not played since the Tottenham disaster because of a groin strain, and after that game he was lambasted by manager Pardew in the dressing room because of his poor work rate, and there’s now a decent possibility that he could be sold in the summer, with just one year left on his four and a half year deal at the club.

Ben Arfa returned to full training this week, and this is what Newcastle manager Alan Pardew told the Shields Gazette today:

“I need to weigh it up with everything else,” “Hatem needs to deliver. I’m concerned with his assists and his goals. He needs to produce for us.”

“The last few games he’s played, there weren’t as many as there should have been. But I think his confidence is better, and I hope that part of it improves.”

“Hatem missed six days’ training last week,” “We’ve put some work into him. We think he’s in a better place.” “I don’t think he’s ready for a 90-minute game in this team at the moment.”

“Obviously, he’ll be involved.”

In 25 appearances this season ben Arfa has three goals and seven assists,  but he hasn’t produced many goals or assists for the side for a while, which is what the manager is referring to.

Tomorrow would be a great time for Ben Arfa to come on and change the game for us, and show some of that magic  we know he possesses in spades.

And it may take a player of Ben Arfa’s unique and immense abilities to open up the Palace defense tomorrow – we hope the  13 times capped French International can do just that.

Newcastle definitely need a win tomorrow, after last Saturday’s poor performance in London.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Lewis Williams is in his final year at the University of West London (UWL) studying for a BSc (Hons) in Construction Management, and he is busy on his dissertation on Site Waste Management Plans and he has a survey he needs filled out.

This survey is for anyone who has been part of a construction project (past or present) that used some form of waste management on the project. See if you can help him with they survey here.

Tags: Coaching · Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Premier League

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 dufuss // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM

never mind ben delivering what about the fat cnut and pardrip

• 2 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Massive talent, massively inconsistent.

Personal view is down to laziness as can be seen how out of shape he gets when injured, doesn’t seem dedicated to maximise his talent and happy to coast along at 60% of his potential all his career.

Shame as he could have been special. I personally think it all stems from his attitude problems early on, his own fault as well as mismanagement probably knocked his work ethic in training and matches.

Thoroughly likeable lad though and hope he has a great next few years either with us or elsewhere.

• 3 Average_Contents // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

He’s concerned about his lack of assists and goals? Fcuking play him then you clueless cnut! Jess h christ the man is a moron, play him for more than 15-20 minutes then! Tit!

• 4 BeeGuy // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

NUFC can’t afford to play Ben-Arfa, there is not enough quality in defense to cover for him. Putting him on is like giving Palace an extra defensive midfielder.

• 5 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Yet Shola AMEOBI is his favorite player!

• 6 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

bee-guy

I think we can play ben arfa when we go 433/451, but in our current 442 we might be left a little exposed.

• 7 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I wonder if HBA problem is psychological in his head since his leg was broken.
    Tends to back out of tackles and being a dribbler/good on the ball frightened of getting clattered

• 8 firebug666 // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM

For me his problem is from lack of teamwork, he would rather try to take on 3 or 4 defenders than pass the ball to a team mate who may be in a better position. Then 9 times out of 10 he loses possession and stands watching the opposition run off with the ball.

TS I also agree he is lazy, defiantly ball greedy, and struggles to show himself as a team player. He is 27 now and should have grown out of the “I want all the glory” mould, being more mature he should be playing with an attitude of teamwork.

I really don’t think he will ever change, think he can’t change. Maybe just stick him upfront and leave him there instead of Cisse or Shola, That way he won’t have to track back as much. Might even work with LDJ beside him.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM

firebug

he won’t do anyworse than shola or cisse upfront I agree, might work well with LDJ, people will focus on ben arfa which might give de jong that half yard he needs to get on the scoresheet.

Now is the time for sensible experimenting in my opinion, nothing crazy like willo upfront of cisse in goal, but try ben arfa up top, give gouffy a go there too, maybe try sammy a little more….just a change or two a game to see what works so we know exactly where we need players brought in to play next year

• 10 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

charlie

I’m sure that can’t help, but ben arfa was far from consistent before that playing in france, even in title winning teams he never dominated a season like his talent should allow.

I just think he is a player happy to coast alon on his natural talent. Look at Ronaldo, that guy works harder than anyone else in training, was often sent home at man utd as they feared he was doing too much.

Anything he could do to help him he would, not enough players like that.

• 11 firebug666 // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM

TS If Benny is in the right place receive a pass that would normally go to Cisse or Shola, and he only has 1 or 2 defenders to contend with I would fancy him to have a shot on target.

The fact that when he plays now defenders can read him like a book make him look poor. You are absolutely correct in that this is the time to experiment, we have nothing to lose, and could gain a great deal from it.

However our manager is clueless and feels his way is the only way football should be played, get everyone back behind the ball, defend for 85 minutes, and then go all out attack.

• 12 Spennymag // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Tell HBA to wipe his nose Alan!. Will somone please tell that dawk called AP, the term is “WIPE IT’S FACE” I wish he would bog off back to QPR or Crystal Palace. ASAP, that means as soon as possible Alan!!!!

• 13 sweendog // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM

like every good attacking player they need confidence and some attacking ideas .. from what I can gather all his attacking play is ad lib .. there should be attacking drill sessions, so I don’t fully blame Ben Arfa for his lack of form .. he does lack defensive effort though .. I think with the fans behind him and an attack minded coach helping him he can still be the player we think he can be ..

• 14 AndyNUFC // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I really hope someone can help me out here – I haven’t missed a match this season, unfortunately though, I’ve been sort of forced into an arrangement to be somewhere in town for 5pm. I would love it if someone on here can tell me where’s a safe bet to watch the match in town (preferably city centre) when it’s on the foreign channels??

• 15 Belfast // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Bit hard when you only come on as a sub tbh

We’ve nowt to lose really, so he should be given a run in the team, along with the likes of Armstrong, Haidara, Mbiwa

• 16 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Transfer
    agree about coasting.
    Players cannot afford to coast in the premiership not like a lot of other leagues.
    I think he has got to have a good hard look at himself because he has loads ability and has got to find out how to use it.

Maybe his latest injury and family illness and could it be the TOON have given him a couple of weeks off to focus his mind on what he wants out of football.

• 17 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM

charlie

Exactly….look at chelsea under mourinho. He took their best player from the last 2 years and sold him as he didn’t work hard enough for the team, and they have gone to the top of the league.

Now I’m not saying every player needs to camp in their own half, but they need to be willing to cover the danger when they see a team mate out of position. A bit like the Dutch did with total football, they would all slot into each others positions when needed to keep the fluid attack going.

I remember the west brom vs liverpool game this year, cissokho had bombed forward and lost the ball, sturridge actually went to left back until liverpool won the ball back as it was what the team needed….he’s done that at had 37 goals in 40 games for them, so it shows you can defend but also be a goal threat.

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Could some one draw up a list of goals and assist by any of our players?

…maybe even add how many games they have started and played! Would be interested to see if this is a Hatem problem or a general problem!

…I know where my money are and why ;)

• 19 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I would cash Benny in for 7 million in the summer. Very poor player.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

jesper

I bet nobody has more than that, maybe sissoko as he seems to get a lot, but it’s a problem with how the team play from what i’ve watched the last 3 years.

• 21 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

ben arfa has 3 goals and 2 assists according to official ESPN stats

• 22 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Transfer

Spot on players need to interchange and always on the move. you have mentioned Sturridge. Another Liverpool player who does the same is Suarez – don’t like the guy but one hell of a footballer and does his bit for the team.

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

TS…that is general consensus as well mate ;)

A bit cheap in my book for Pardew to ask for more goals or assist from players like Hatem without looking in the mirror first and ask “Am I doing the right thing as a manager and how can I make Hatem the best player he could be”!

Talk is so cheap! Action speak lauder than words in my book!

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM

*my

• 25 Rainrix // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Sage…. I thought 7 assists sounded a bit high. Though he I’m sure he got 2 against doncaster (?) as well, though definitely not 7 in total.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM

jesper

And that’s the problem, pardew has managed for 3 years here and not really identified that we never have many assists as we get a lot more individual goals than teams around us….can’t see it changing. Not my favoured style but works ok for him, fits in with the owners goals.

I still think benny needs to do more on and off the field, as do plenty of others mind you, but i think it’s because everyone can see his potential….could get so much more from him.

• 27 firebug666 // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Our players tend to pass the ball and make a forward run only to see the player receiving the ball pass it backwards, No wonder there is not a lot of movement off the ball.

• 28 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Champions league draw
    Barcelona v Atletico Madrid
    Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund
    PSG v Chelsea
    Man United v Bayern Munich

• 29 catchy in norway // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM

player /goals /assists /minutes per G/A /games started / sub
    gouffran 10 5 113 38 5
    HBA 14 12 135 54 41
    cabaye 18 12 183 87 6
    sissoko 4 6 371 47 1

• 30 catchy in norway // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM

i think you have to look and blame the management team for HBA,

out of the 4 players above , i think HBA would be much further ahead of all the others if he got full games, goofy has 38 starts and 5 sub apperances in 1.5 seasons, he can feel he is part of a team,
    HBA has 54 starts and 41 as a sub, and must of those sub games are for 10 mins,
    pardew makes HBA feel about as welcome as a fart in a space suit, even obertan seem to have a better run in the team than HBA

sissoko offers us zero out on the right, very good box to box MF but why is he in the team, our forwards need goals, and will not provide them

sack pardew :)

• 31 dufuss // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM

buy some fckin grafters

• 32 jayphoto // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Lots of players in france that are very similar to Ben Arfa! Its common of players from North African descent to have more talent and porential than they are able to fulfil! Boudebouz, Taarabt etc
    Think the problem with HBA is even when he plays well the players around him suffer in their own performances.

• 33 Mister Tuff // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

With reference to Ashley selling off the land surrounding the Strawberry -there was a comment in the Chronicles article about this from a supporter who suggested that there could not be further development because of the road there.
    I do not know exactly the reasons why the original development of the Gallowgate End were not pursued. However, I would agree that selling off the land would definitely be the end of any expansion to the ground. I think it is of interest that a couple of stadiums do have roads running underneath namely Athletico Madrids Caldern stadium has the Calle 30 -(M30) running underneath.
    The Périphérique Road runs underneath PSG’s Parc des Princes.
    So I would suggest that the poster on the Chronicle site probably has got his facts wrong. The ability to construct such developments clearly exists -but would obviously be more expensive (especially considering the Metro as well).
    Bottom line is that the capacity of the ground could never ever be extended if this land is sold off. The short term gain financially in selling off the land would in reality be a fleabite of what potentially could be gained if the site was developed as per the original ideas.

• 34 Mister Tuff // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

error Caldern = Calderon.

• 35 AndyNUFC // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

@13 Can anybody help me out?

• 36 guvnor // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Debuchy must be leaving if Toon are going to sign Carl jenkinson from the Arsenal.

• 37 Graeme // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Andy – you dont need to be there until 1700 – arrange to meet them in China Town and simply leave 15 minutes early. You will beat the crush getting out and get there on time!!

• 38 eric // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Yep I heard that guv he’s an old Charlton connection jenkinson so Debuchy must be away if he joins.

• 39 AndyNUFC // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for the response Graeme but I don’t have a ticket and would like to watch it at a pub / bar but I’m not familiar with where shows the foreign channels reliably?

• 40 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

guvnor

I like jenkinson, good little player for me. Rather keep debuchy but this might be our last chance to cash in on him so cant imagine he will stay if a decent offer is made

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM

TS…but it is so easy asking someone for more – hell I could manage this team if it’s all it takes ;)

Is that what being a manager is all about these days? Pardew has been here 3 years as you say and it’s the same bullshit each year!

I am not sure I would agree that the style works ok for Pardew, but then again this season like the season we finished most team around us were doing really bad, which worked in our favour!

How does this fit in to Ashley’s plan?

• 42 mattnufc // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Pardew, by your own logic then, Sissoko should be no where near the team. You wonder why people think you talk BS?

• 43 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM

jesper

Just my take of course….i’m not saying pardew is only asking for more, as you say anyone could ask. I think he is trying to develop HBA but doesn’t really know how.

I think he could get 50% more from HBA as he has bags of natural talent, but maybe only 10/20% more from others which is why he focuses on HBA more.

Also Pardews style seems to be based on individual goals, something HBA can do more than most which is another reason he seems to want more from him than others.

I think Ashley is happy with steady, mid table finishing. Besides last year (which i think personally was more down to injuries to a very thin squad than just bad management) we are doing that under pardew…13th, 5th and not 9th…all safe finsihes. 16th was poor but 3 out of 4 isn’t terrible.

I just don’t like pardews style and think a better manager would get better football, but even guardiola wouldn’t get these players any higher than 6/7th in my opinion, we have decent players but no world beaters.

• 44 beermonkey // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

its a bit hard to compare the way we play footie to that of fool

firstly we don’t have runners breaking into the box if our fullbacks breaks forward most of the time either goofy or sissoko stop on the half way line to cover the position

the only time we allowed runners in to the box was hull and look we scored 4
    this is why we rely on individual’s to score our goals
    I think 2 of the 4 at hull were good team goals as well
    its rare we we attack and move as a team
    I don’t know why as we have proof we can do it against lesser teams

on ben arfa while I think pardew can take a certain % of the blame for not bein able to get the best out of benny how many times does benny have to be told the same thing before it sinks in what the manager wants,

for me the blame is both theirs its a shame but its time for benny to leave and find aomewhere that will get the best out of him

• 45 guvnor // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

T’S a few geezers I know in the smoke reckon it’s a goer and he’ll be join Newcastle in the summer so Debuchy must be away.

• 46 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:12 PM

beer

I agree with what you have just said, we have the odd game like hull and west ham away where we do everything right but then after we go back to cagey football, defending for our lives for some unknown reason to us all except the management.

I don’t expect us to brush every team aside, but to at least have a go more than we do.

On benny many other managers have tried and failed to get the best out of him, even in title winning french sides he never shone that brightly over the season, was always a good highlight reel just not a good full game.

• 47 Transfer Sage // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:13 PM

guvnor

No idea how reliable your pals are but happy to hear the info, all info is good to hear, even if it doesn’t come true.

I like the player so wouldn’t worry me too much.

• 48 bob // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Benny is finished in the premier division newcastle will move him on this summer back to France probably.

• 49 beermonkey // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

aint carl Jenkins a bit of a sick note
    this rumour was about the other day
    I dunno where it came from

would rather keep debuchy but at 28 his next move will prob be his last to get the money shame we didn’t get him while he was younger

if Jenkins has the potential to be as good as debuchy and is ready for the prem I wont mind we would be swapping a foreign player for a british one

• 50 Graeme // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Andy, It will be shown in “9” the old “Shearers Bar”
    Otherwise, there are several bars in “The Gate” will be showing it and quite a few in the “Hay Market” area will show it.

My son is at Newcastle Uni – they are his “top tips”!!Good luck, hope you cope with the excitement lol

• 51 bob // Mar 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM

All the gooners say jenkinson is coming up here.

• 52 francesco-hba // Mar 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM

OMG!! He’s concerned about Ben arfa stats??!!! hahaha
    What about Shola or Jonas???!!!!

Ben arfa has a better ratio per minute than Sissoko in terms of goals, and a better ratio per minute than Gouffran in terms of assists!!!

What a shame

To conclude, i’m concerned about Pardew, his poor stats as manager with a good squad and his broken records of defeats in derby and at St james’park…..hahaha

• 53 JP...from The Rock // Mar 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Ben Arfa needs more minutes on the pitch to build confidence and on performances. If he doesn’t improve then, then I would play him u front with De Jong for example. Therefore he wouldn’t need to track back.

What bugs me most is Pardew bangs on about HBA not playing well and this and that yet he sticks with the pathetic and utterly useless Strolla Ameobi!! What a sick joke that is! How about looking into those stats Alan before criticizing our most talented player!

previous post: Transfer Business To Be Done Early This Summer