The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Shows Some Real Humility

7:51 am, Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Alan Pardew had a message for the fans in his program notes for yesterday’s game,  as Newcastle welcomed a club that Alan had played for from 1987 until 1991, but of course he was not allowed in the great St. James’ Park stadium (it looked great yesterday), because of his three match stadium ban, which will be followed by a four match touchline ban.

carver and pardew

John Carver and Alan Pardew at Newcastle

And it was good to see owner Mike Ashley at the game yesterday, but we didn’t get a shot of Mike after Papiss Cisse scored the sensational winner very late into stoppage time.

This is what Alan wrote in his program notes for yesterday’s game:

“It will always be an incident that I deeply regret and there is nothing I can do to take back what happened.” “

“The price I am paying for my indiscretion is heavy (but you deserve it),  and I will feel it this afternoon as a massive occasion takes place at St James’ Park against my former club Crystal Palace, and I will be elsewhere.”

“I would again like to thank Mike Ashley, the board, my staff at the training ground, the Newcastle players and everyone at the club for their support in the last few weeks .”

“And in addition, can I express my appreciation to all of you who have written to me expressing your support at a time when I very much needed it.”

“We all make mistakes in life and I have received messages from a huge number of Newcastle supporters, which have been very welcome during what has been a difficult period for me personally.”

There’s just a little bit of the victim in that statement – and Alan has to realize that even though the punishment is tough – it’s what he deserved – and the good news is that he’s still got his job as the Newcastle manager.

But it’s also heart warming to hear that supporters have sent him messages of support – we’ve all had our bad times in life, and there’s nothing quite like getting heart-felt support from people in those times of need – it really helps!

Alan Pardew has his doubters at Newcastle, but when did we have a manager who didn’t have doubters – we remember back when the great Bobby Robson was manager, and in his last season there was a growing feeling he was losing touch with things and had lost the plot.

There will be a huge rebuilding of Newcastle’s squad his summer, and players like Ben Arfa, Sylvain Marveaux and Papiss Cisse and others are currently playing for their Newcastle careers.

Everton are next up on Tuesday night,  and they are a very good side and it will be a very tough game – but you just never know with Newcastle, especially if Papiss now has the confidence to put those chances he keeps getting into the back of the net. :D

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Contracts · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Mar 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Ed,
    slow down mate, there’s just a couple of us here :0

On this statement, well done to the lawyer who wrote it. Only, shouldn’t it read: (but I deserve it)?

On LDJ:
    Will he be a player we could’ve had, like Tomasson or the Italian fella (on loan) from Man U? I really can’t tell. But, despite the nice control, he hasn’t shown he can kick the ball and that’s like important. Also, he should’ve scored that header.
    Having said all that, I get it that everyone needs a chance or three.

• 2 Slank // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I voted for Cisse as he never stopped trying and never went missing. He had quite a few good chances two of which were well saved by their keeper and I cannot recall him being offside once.

I just hope he has turned the corner with that goal.

I thought Ben Arfa made a huge difference. He looked the most likely to open up their defence.

Special mention to Tiote and Anita who worked tirelessly in midfield all day.

• 3 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Can anyone tell me if Cisse was in tears yesterday after he scored. looked like it from where I was sitting.

Looking forward to the Everton game
    Think we might get beat – but it should be a a game of counter attacking football as Everton under Martinez wont come to defend.

Anyone notice how many times Krul threw the ball out yesterday instead of hoofing it up

• 4 Lachu // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

i think shola sammy and his family have voted on this poll .. otherwise how the hell did he get 5 votes haha..

• 5 Tsunki // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Yet again I read the post match comments after a tough but deserved win over an increasingly embattled Pulis side to find the same inane school footy comments from the clueless and the trolls. The quality posters who can dissect a game and the players in it are diminishing rapidly.I think my blog days are drawing to a close.

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Ed, I think at this point doubters is an understatement!

…an personally I don’t think one should mentioning Pardew in the same sentence as SBR? Well in my opinion anyway!

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Tsunki…I am taking a leave of absence from the games but I will return fear not ;)

• 8 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Tsunki
    Need people like you on here to comment on what they saw how they saw the game/crowd – not their one eyed blinkered vision of the TOON.

Thats why I usually come on in the morning to post. We need people to talk about the match and make their constructive comments on the game instead of slagging everyone off.

Hey we have done well 46 points 7th in the league – would of taken that after the first game of the season.

Time to rebuild in the summerPS – first signing next season should be some one to take a free kick!!!

• 9 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I think knowing remy is out for a few weeks has put the spring back in cisse’s step yesterday even when he missed he still was trying and had a smile on his face

I hope he gets a run till the end of the season and finds his scoring boots

while I can see a lot of players leaving I don’t think there will be many coming in

• 10 Tsunki // Mar 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Charlie – I have avoided immediate post-match blog because I think it gets overwhelmed with teenagers with absolutely no clue about football at all, and individuals with their personal hate agenda.

Git example yesterday I thought we worked well against a unit that flooded their last third and worked very hard to press us off the ball. Their plan was to draw and at best do what we eventually did to them. Colo showed he was rusty but was in all the right places, his positioning saves him. Dummet is workmanlike but lacks pace and decision making in the last third, which is why we should not be continuing with the fb/winger idea. Everyone could see that HBA was the obvious pick to make inroads but the continuing carp about his ‘wastefulness’ is doing my head in. Look at his assist rate. The guy tries his arm, and it’s the odd ones that go through that make it all worth it, blaming him for losses is a completely brainless concept. What’s worse are the countless speculative long passes that go nowhere, offering a 50/50 chance for the other side to regain possession. Cisse deserved his goal, worked extremely well, his ‘sitter’ was a case of not realising the defender was sliding in, for me it was a case of too easy. But in the end it was the service that was key. De Jong is working well but it will take him a while to adjust to some of the grittier defending in Europe, by which time he may be gone. Can’t fault the overall performance but once again we are in a low confidence rut and play like a collection of individuals who just met up for a game.

Now fine, you can pick holes in my assessment and reasoning but I am getting tired of the campaigning some trolls have to get rid of individuals they personally hate, and I especially tired of the constantly meaningless jibes by pre-pubrscent supporters of other clubs who haven’t the wit to post on their own blogs.

• 11 thevirus // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Great result yesterday thought Cisse was a real handful for Palace and should what he can do which in my opinion he hasn’t done for a long time, and I have posted on here that we should sell him in the summer but if he performs like that till the end of season then I will gladly retract my past statement and eat my words.Pleased that Ben arfa got some minutes and an assist I’m a big fan of his and believe he should get much more game time,still believe that Pardew should be replaced in the summer that’s my opinion so I’m not going to try and push that on here, just watched motd and Leonardo is looking for a job next season wouldn’t mind seeing him in charge but again doubt he would be interested in coming to Newcastle

previous post: Cisse – Those Three Points Were For Him