The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cisse Opens Up About Goal – I Went “Oh My God”

11:20 pm, Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Papiss Cisse is one of the most popular players in Newcastle’s squad and when you hear or read his interviews it’s easy to see why – as an example in his interview immediately after the game, he was so humble and thanked everybody for helping him finally get that goal on Saturday.

papiss cisse scores last minute header - palace

Papiss Cisse scores very late goal

The 29 times capped Senegal International (15 goals) has now scored 30 goals for Newcastle in 82 total appearances, and we’re hoping he can get some more goals before the end of the season.

Papiss is starting right now for Newcastle because Loic Remy is out with a calf injury, and it may still be a week or two before the French striker is fit again.

This is what Cisse has said in the Mail:

“Scoring that goal was one of the best feelings in the world,” “‘It is difficult when you see the team working so hard to get the win and you’re the striker up there responsible for getting the goals and the chances keep coming and don’t go in. Again and again and again.”

“I felt relief and joy when the goal went in and when it hit the net I just thought “thank you” to everybody in the team, who had worked so hard to get to that point for me to score. There had been a chance just before then when Mapou put the ball in and it went past me.”

‘I just went “Oh my God”. I was lying on the ground and my head was just spinning, but I told myself that the game wasn’t finished, that I would get another chance. In those moments as a striker you have to be strong, you have to keep going.”

“The run of not scoring has been very difficult in my head. It is tough to take and you feel bad for yourself and your team-mates because you wonder if you are doing enough, but I have to thank the other players and the staff, because I have always felt that they have had faith in me. But this year has been very, very hard.”

“I just had to say to myself that I had to do myself justice, work hard and keep smiling and maybe I would get my chance to play.” ‘Thankfully that has happened. Now I want more goals and I will do my best.”

Alan Pardew had said that Papiss was fighting for his Newcastle future in these final games of the season, so he at least needs to be given some playing time, even when Loic returns.

With Luuk de Jong seemingly off form, it may be that Papiss will partner Remy when the Frenchman returns from injury.

And of course the Loic’s futures lies elsewhere and not at Newcastle, and his first choice  is Arsenal.

We really do hope that Papiss is still on Tyneside next season, because he can still do a job – a good job for Newcastle United.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Papiss Cisse · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 t00ntime // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM

@Ciaran
    pretty sure we have won a higher percentage of games with Santon playing than without, of course thats not just down to him but still. + imo Dummet can hinder us too and at times as bad as santon. so I’m not sure why AP hasnt tried Haidara.
    Also imo HBA seemed much more of a team player yesterday than normal so I’m hoping he has finally woken up and realised to be great he cant do it without the team. He looked for the pass and at times he took a while to realise he needed to pass it but other times he saw it instantly and did it well. It wont happen overnight but the way I see it, its a start and I hope HBA gets some more time to prove his worth before the end of the season.
    Also I like the way how seen so he normally always cuts in the defenders expected him too so he half cut in then ran down the wing instead (or passed it down) and got the cross in. then when they expected him to do it for the 4th time he just cut in properly and made some space for the shot (a terrible one tho lol). Just things like that that give me hope he might finally of watched enough games from the bench to see things and be getting smarter. I know its a far shout and likely just one game and next he’ll be back to been selfish but still…

Also Cisses only problem is he always shoots straight at the GK. Sometimes he hits them too perfectly which sends them straight at the GK and in those situations he is just unlucky. Others he has to think himself and place it instead of whacking it and hoping. Hope this goals gives him confidence and calms him down.

• 2 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:33 PM

fair play to cisse I hope he scores a few more

Ciaran
    for those reasons I would put him on the right
    if that’s not an option then surly were better of selling him

dummett has done ok thought he did well yesterday as he didn’t seem to have any in front of him covering and didn’t seem to get over exposed I would like to see hadiara get the last 6 7 games from what I remember seeing of him he could have the all round better game but we wont know till we see him for at least 6 7 games

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM

From what I have seen of Dummett he still has a long way to go.

…if we sold Santon in the summer we would really weaken our side if we don’t buy a new LB. Neither Dummett nor Haidara are ready to take over full time.

• 4 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:43 PM

toontime

with one year left on his contract I think it is to late for benny

• 5 Sazzer // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM

GeordieTwo here is your list:
    If Chelsea, Man U, Real Madrid or Barcelona sign a top striker it could trigger movement on these players:
    Etoo
    Huntelaar
    Kiessling
    Pedro
    Berardi
    Bony
    Vucinic
    Greizmann, Draxler, Firmino, Cerci, Volland and Reus – even if they are AM/Wingers.

Maybe Dzeko or Jovetic if City decides use their money against Chelsea and Man U.

Of course, some of those players don’t come even if we pay 15-20 m £. But outcast players like Welbeck and strikers from smaller clubs should be up for grabs like Immobile.

If we can’t get one of those we would need to pick among a lot more uncertain cards like:
    S.De Jong
    A Hernandez
    Paloschi
    Djordjevic
    Pellè
    Dost
    Toivonen

and strikers that might come but we would have to overpay for like Doumbia and Musa from Russia.

Considering the current situation in Ukraine we might be able to get players like Lens or Belhanda from Kiev or Luiz Adriano from Shaktar if the want out.

Upcoming players from South America and Africa are on third list. Big risk with possible big reward on these players.

I also left out a lot of PL Strikers so feel free to add Long, Jelavic, Carroll, Wolfswinkel, Hooper, Rodriguez and a new contract for Shola if you want.

And I probably missed a few obvious ones like Bendtner ;-)

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM

That’s a long list ;)

• 7 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:51 PM

holy cow sazzer wtf

there aint many in there we could sign

• 8 Lynxie // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Sazzer.

You forgot Cruyff, Maradonna, Pele, Beckenbauer, and most of the squad of jossy’s Giants.
    Jesus man, get a grip. Either leave the playstation alone and rejoin reality, or have an ACTUAL look at what Ashley has historically purchased.

Pmsl laughing here that you wasted your time drafting up a world’s most unfeasible list…………

• 9 Malta Mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM

The thing I liked about the way the team played on Saturday was the way we were knocking it about and maintaining possession. Palace were well organized therefore it was never going to be easy but we remained positive and bearing in mind we had less to play for than Palace then that’s credit to Pardew and Carver. The biggest disappointment was the crowd and don’t blame the the owner for that. It was bordering on embarrassing with us being out sung completely. In the old days our generation wouldn’t have allowed that to happen but with the comments I read on this blog, the ground probably has too many moaners sitting with their blankets and flasks and less willing to “ramp” up the noise.

previous post: Newcastle Striker Lacking In Luck But Not Confidence