The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

He Followed Instructions – Give Him A Cuddle – Video

11:50 pm, Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

It seems that John Carver has been getting along well with Hatem Ben Arfa, who was the difference between the sides once he was brought on after 59 minutes on  Saturday, and it turns out that Alan Pardew and John Carver had decided at half time, that if the score was still 0-0 after an hour, the mercurial Frenchman would be brought on.

Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa takes on Crystal Palace's Yannick Bolasie at St James' Park.

Ben Arfa in action on Saturday

And sure enough he was introduced at that time, and he was Newcastle;’s danger man for the final 30 minutes of the game, and set up Papiss Cisse with two great chances, and Papiss scored from the second one, after 93 minutes and 14 seconds.

Not sure why the paper’s are saying it was after 93 minutes and 40 seconds?

This is what John Carver has said about Hatem in the Guardian:

“Hatem’s like Chris Waddle, a maverick, a flair player,” “Today Hatem was really focused. He actually listened to my instructions and did what we asked.”

“He’s been out for some time with injury and he’s been back home with his mother because she was ill, but I’ve actually been getting on quite well with Hatem recently, probably the best I’ve got on with him.”

“I’ve had a chance to sit down with him and talk and he’s quite a nice guy when you have a real conversation about family and life, nothing to do with football.”

“It’s brought us closer together. You’ve got to get inside Hatem’s head. You’ve got to give him a cuddle.”

That was Ben Arfa’s 8th assist of the season, to go with his three goals, and while at Newcastle for almost four years, he has played in 82 games with 14 goals and 20 assists – and some of his goals are the best individual goals ever scored by a  Newcastle player.

And here – for one more look – is Cisse’s goal – to brighten up your Monday morning.

And it’s taken by one of the fans, and it’s from a different angle than has usually been shown by the networks – but it shows the goal perfectly, and notice how the crowd is scanned after the goal – good camera work there!

I would have thrown the camera in the air. 😀

Tags: Coaching · Hatem Ben Arfa · Match Preview · Newcastle News · Premier League

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM

ben arfa is a braver man than me if carver came to cuddle me I think I might run away

• 2 Sazzer // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Ed destroyed my long list in seconds.

• 3 Sazzer // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Most of the players on the second part on the list sadly won’t be better than what we have and probably none of them would have the same impact like Remy and Ba.

Few of them might but you won’t know it when you buy them.

• 4 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:07 AM

sazzer

that was funny (sorry) I think he did it on purpose

• 5 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM

If we are unlucky the big clubs will pick player from the small clubs rather than from each other leaving us with 15 m £ to spend on a striker that aren’t prepared to step down in wages.

Villa might sell Benteke to Atletico Madrid for 20 m £ but not us.

Worst case after that would be if they sold a player for 25 m £ and then came after stole our second targets.

• 6 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM

sazzer
    not many on the second list I have heard of

• 7 Ciaran // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Jesper

With all due respect, you claim not to watch the games any more so you won’t have seen Dummet’s performances in the last few games. While he hasn’t set the world alight he has been much more consistent than Santon has ever been – both defensively and offensively.

Anyway, that’s the last I am going to say about it. I prefer substance over flash. Instead of blaming Pardew for the failings of Santon and HBA, perhaps we should be demanding that these players take their heads out of their arses and do their jobs properly.

• 8 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM

beermonkey
    I picked most them from list of players that have scored more than 8 goals this season and I skipped players older than 27 unless like in Gomis case he have been a known target.

• 9 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Most of the players on the second list are probably one season wonders and lower leagues stars that would fail miserably on a higher level.

• 10 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:52 AM

sazzer

there is a few on the second list that would be worth a punt as the young 4th choice striker

like ings he has around 25 goals this season not sure wot he would cost

• 11 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Ba, Welbeck, Remy, Ramos. Immobile, Firmino, Cerci and Berardi are the players we have like 33 % of getting if Ashely co decides to invest Cabaye money on a striker.

And I would say 1 % on Benteke, Michu, Hernandez and Bony.

And 0 % on the rest on the top half.

• 12 jimmysmith // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Dummet looks a run of the mill by EPL standards, solid at this admittedly early stage. Haidarra can bomb on, but can be equally cavalier and exposed at the back. Santon is probably a less than ordinary defensively at this level and prone to being caught out seemingly through lack of urgency, although an otherwise outstanding talent. I think Mbiwa at left back and Santon at right half would be a functional way to set up.

• 13 t00ntime // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:05 AM

so carver got (sort of) a team performance out of HBA within 1week?

maybe he should be doing the man managing lol.

• 14 t00ntime // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:10 AM

@sazzer tbh I think if we tried (and wanted too) Hernandez would be more available to us than Ba or Remy.
    Especially if he somehow misses out on the world cup because he barely plays. Though I cant see us getting any of those 3.

• 15 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Players like Ings, Rhodes, Finnbogasson and Jóhannsson have scored a lot of goals in lower leagues and would 1 th strikers if they could keep that up.

L De Jong scored like that on lower level as well.

Players like Ben-Yedder and Drmic haven’t scored as many goals the above but scored a decent amount in tougher league.

• 16 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM

t00ntime
    Remy and Ba maybe should be part of the 1 % gang. Not sure if Ba burnt his bridges or not but he could come on loan otherwise.

Remy likes it here but feels he could play in a bigger club but if can’t find a bigger club he could end up staying if QPR are prepared to sell him.

• 17 Jeff from Benwell // Mar 24, 2014 at 5:50 AM

This is the article that Ed plagiarises

The point of it is that the writer thinks Pardew could do worse than build next seasons team around HBA
    That’s a very interesting idea in my opinion and worthy of further debate

• 18 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I would definitely not want to build a team around HBA. He is too inconsistent on the pitch, less of a team player, injury prone, and appears to be high maintenance.

If you are going to build a team around a player he has to have none of the above attributes. I like Benny and on his day he can be mesmerising. Unfortunately his day only come once or twice a season.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Ed says that was ben arfa’s 8th assist of the season but the stats on ESPN which are usually good have it as his 3rd (might go 4th if not yet updated).

Not 100% sure which is the correct value but quite a difference.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:30 AM

also before people complain

that’s not me having a go at Ed, just curious as to which is the correct value.

• 21 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I see the Ashley BS manifesto / campaign to dupe fans parting with their hard earned for 2014 / 2015 has started in earnest. Season tickets must be way down!!

Apparently we now have 6 summer targets lined up and as someone on TOTT said: –

That’s how Pardew always starts.

‘We want six players, if not, 5 for certain’.

Day’s later:

‘Were working on four targets, and hoping to secure three of them very soon’.

Day’s later again:

‘Two are close, but one of them may be hard to get over the line’.

They need 8 or 9 players and it will be a struggle to get quality in, what have we to offer: Low wages, no Europe, no ambition, poor coaches.

It will probably be the usual scenario, we were close but could not get them over the line, we are meeting to review our targets, we have moved on to other targets, we are waiting to hear if our non existent bids have been accepted, we cannot compete with Swansea, etc. etc. Followed by he is like a new signing and we are working hard on the training ground, Mike is happy.
    – – – – – – – – – – – – –

A Chelsea fan mate of mine said yesterday ” you don’t want rid of Pardew, you’re safe” SAFE !!! How low has our ambition fallen.

• 22 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM

RH

I read the same type of article in the Journal.

I was excited by it for about 5 minutes then realised the same thing you said.

Same thing happened in Jan with up to 4 signings. got in one on loan.

• 23 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Sazzer,

Is there really a player called immobile? I thought that was shola!

previous post: Cisse Opens Up About Goal – I Went “Oh My God”

next post: Newcastle To Bring In At Least Six New Players This Summer