Pardew Gave Options To John Carver – Not Directives

Mike Ashley was a surprise show at the home game yesterday, as he saw Newcastle put on a  decent show, but more important was the result, and Mike witnessed Newcastle get a very late winner to take all 3 points against 4th bottom Crystal Palace.

john carver steve stone palace late winner

John Carver and Steve Stone delighted after Cisse late winner

And certainly John Carver and Steve Stone – two Geordies – were ecstatic at the late winner, and John had this to say at the final whistle:

“It was nice. I’ll be asking him for a new contract I think! It’s good that he’s shown his support.”  “I take credit for everything today! “

“Alan and I had a number of conversations, just before half-time and as the game was going on.”  “But in fairness, the manager never once said to me ‘we should do this’ or ‘we should do that’.”

“He always gave me an option, some of them we used and some of them we didn’t.”  “But like he said during the week, he trusts people and he trusts the staff.”

“And because we’re in the stadium, we can get a sense for a feel of what’s going on and we have to make the final decision, so it works both ways.”

“I’ve spoken to Alan and he is delighted, obviously.” “He’s pleased for myself because there has been a bit of a pressure on me, with being a local lad and the manager not being there.”

“I don’t feel it because my job does not really change – he is still the manager. He is just doing it from seven or eight miles away. But he is pleased.”

“He’s coming to the stadium later on because I think his ban finished when the ball went into the back of the net. He’s coming to have a chat and I will have a beer with him.”

That was the second of three games Pardew has to serve of his stadium ban, and we have three points so far from the two games, both against bottom four sides.

The home game against Everton on Tuesday night will be the last of Alan’s stadium ban, and it seems that Alan will again watch the game from his Benton training ground office.

The Newcastle manager will also have a direct land line through to John Carver, who will again be on the touchline for this tough game.

A draw would be a decent result against a very good Everton side, who are 5th in the table on 54 points – 8 points above Newcastle, and with a game in hand.

• Tsunki

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Repost due to Eds blog sprint 🙂

Charlie – I have avoided immediate post-match blog because I think it gets overwhelmed with teenagers with absolutely no clue about football at all, and individuals with their personal hate agenda.

For example yesterday I thought we worked well against a unit that flooded their last third and worked very hard to press us off the ball. Their plan was to draw and at best do what we eventually did to them. Colo showed he was rusty but was in all the right places, his positioning saves him. Dummet is workmanlike but lacks pace and decision making in the last third, which is why we should not be continuing with the fb/winger idea. Everyone could see that HBA was the obvious pick to make inroads but the continuing carp about his ‘wastefulness’ is doing my head in. Look at his assist rate. The guy tries his arm, and it’s the odd ones that go through that make it all worth it, blaming him for losses is a completely brainless concept. What’s worse are the countless speculative long passes by just about everyone else that go nowhere, offering a 50/50 chance for the other side to regain possession. Cisse deserved his goal, worked extremely well, his ‘sitter’ was a case of not realising the defender was sliding in, for me it was a case of too easy. But in the end it was the service that was key. De Jong is working well but it will take him a while to adjust to some of the grittiest defending in Europe, by which time he may be gone. Can’t fault the overall performance but once again we are in a low confidence rut and play like a collection of individuals who just met up for a game.

Now fine, you can pick holes in my assessment and reasoning but I am getting tired of the campaigning some trolls have to get rid of individuals they personally hate, and I especially tired of the constantly meaningless jibes by pre-pubescent supporters of other clubs who haven’t the wit to post on their own blogs.

• Jail for Ashley

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Tsunki,
    Excellent football related post, that should see you nominated for blog King.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Ben Arfa is amazing, Cisse is back to his best, LDJ is useless, Carver takes the credit, Pardew was not missed and should be sacked…see I can spout irrational rubbish too!

• welshgeordie9

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Do you think dummet will be playing regular in the prem next season or will he be sent out on loan

• BandB

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

TDS,

I always thought irrational rubbish with FACT! written after it was your modus operandi.

• catchy in norway

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM

jail

in all that, you pick on a spelling mistake ?

does it make a poor human , because you can not spell, does it make the point invalid.

regarding this thread, does carver expect us to believe pardew trusts him, if he trusted him, he would not call him during the match, those conversations would have been his opinions on what was going on, and how he wants it to go,

its like leaving your kids with a baby sitter, then ringing her up every hour,
    trust, i think not

but nice try

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

The issue with HBA is that this is a team game. 1-0 up with 10mins to go and he gets the ball on the halfway line. Time and time again we’ve seen him try to beat a player for no reason other than personal glory and lose the ball. There are places on the pitch to beat players or thread a tough pass and there are places on the pitch to hold onto the ball and take the simple pass.

I can imagine his teammates being nervous when winning and he’s on the ball. So that’s what he needs to resolve for me. I don’t think it’s necessarily about tracking back and making tackles although he does need to sometimes. Keep in mind that Mourinho sold Mata because he didn’t work the way he wanted to, so blaming it on Pardew is silly.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM

BandB

Is that a joke? I can’t tell.

• croftus5678

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM

@4 welsh

i <3 dummett think he's a great player and challenges santon in every way but one things for sure after watching the game last night he's not fit enough or experianced enough for a whole season as 1st choice lb.

however same could be said of hairdryer who i also rate just as much even though he's a complete different player in the way he plays ! maybe some rest for dummett now is in order.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I take that as a I don’t know then

Great to talk?

• welshgeordie9

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Sorry a bit late with that

• welshgeordie9

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Hairdryer I would love to see play more

• stretchintoon

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

ith Remy 90% on his way id like to see us make a bid for Bony.

• BandB

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

TDS,

I think you could (possibly) lay off your party trick of labeling anyone who dissents from you as irrational.
    I’ll tell you why.
    You are the undoubted king of the unsupported “fact”, the dodgy premiss, the illogical conclusion, and the specious syllogism.
    You have a masters though in straw man arguments where you set up and then attack a gross parody of the other persons’ point of view. And “have you stopped beating your wife” type questions.

Though I think you are part of the make-up of the blog, I am these days loathe to argue with you. This is because you take any response you get as a platform to stick your fingers in your ears and launch into a very loud diatribe, usually with a strong underlying current of cultural supremacy attached. You being a businessman and that, and therefore a guru on everything.
    And so yes, while it is a joke, it was never intended to be funny.

• catchy in norway

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:58 AM

tds

like wise, you can not blame HBA for pardew being defensive minded,

and when you actually look at pass completion rate, HBA is in the top 3 of all of our players over the last 3 seasons for pass completion,

the fact that pardew highlights one players few mistakes and not focusing on the good things he does proves he is not a very good man manager, what pardew is doing is helping weak minded people make a decision that is in his favour

yesterday, HBA made 19 passes , 18 reached the man, 1 didnt, and he got one assist,

he does this even when the manager shows he does not want or like him, many times pardew has used HBA as a excuse as to why we dont win, when the last time i checked, there are 10 other players on that pitch just as guilty,

• lesh

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Tsunki

You’re a hard man and should be gentle with the younger members of our little fraternity! 😉