The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Thrill Of It All – Seven Pictures From Yesterday

9:48 am, Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 56 Comments

Here are some of the pictures from yesterdays’ game which ended up with Newcastle winning in dramatic fashion 1-0, with a late goal from Papiss Cisse – and from the pictures you would think it really meant something to John Carver and Steve Stone – our two Geordie coaches. :D

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Newcastle United v Crystal Palace - St James' Park

John Carver jumps for joy at Cisse’s goal

john carver steve stone palace late winner

John and Steve emote after late winner

papiss cisse congratulated by John carver

Papiss Cisse ran over to John Carver after scoring

john carver mapou yanga-mbiwa

Yanga-Mbiwa and John Carver celebrate after final whistle

papiss cisse scores fans celebrate

Papiss Cisse has scored – fans celebrate – Palace defender stunned

papiss cisse scores palace

Papiss Cisse heads home from a good Ben Arfa cross

mike ashley unimpressed

Mike Ashley – unimpressed

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Crystal Palace?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

56 responses so far ↓

• 1 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM

One player I don’t want to leave is sissoko,I think he’s been our best player

The only difference between him and yaya yaya toure is scoring goals because they are similar players

• 2 Dennis Twice // Mar 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Attack Toon attack attack!

• 3 catchy in norway // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

tds

like wise, you can not blame HBA for pardew being defensive minded,

and when you actually look at pass completion rate, HBA is in the top 3 of all of our players over the last 3 seasons for pass completion,

the fact that pardew highlights one players few mistakes and not focusing on the good things he does proves he is not a very good man manager, what pardew is doing is helping weak minded people make a decision that is in his favour

yesterday, HBA made 19 passes , 18 reached the man, 1 didnt, and he got one assist,

he does this even when the manager shows he does not want or like him, many times pardew has used HBA as a excuse as to why we dont win, when the last time i checked, there are 10 other players on that pitch just as guilty,

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM

BandB…that is exactly how I feel about few others on here and why the last year and a half on here has been a drag :(

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM

…it is just not as fun as it use to be!

• 6 toon kk // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM

So pleased with the win, thought it was heading for my predicted 0-0 on the whole it was two poor teams struggling.

• 7 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

BandB

Your argument is frankly hogwash. Firstly, I have never said “FACT” at the end of my sentences except for a very few times completely clearly in jest. I don’t do that, use text speak or type “lol” either before you make other mistakes.

Secondly, when I quote facts, it’s because they are facts! Not the interpreted rubbish from questionable websites that some sheep on here post as facts.

Finally, I don’t need to create a parody of some people’s views to disagree with them, there are plenty who are but a parody of themselves and their ilk.

You’re either confusing me with someone else or it’s just the wrong time of the month…

• 8 jazzyp // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Everton to go in for Bony this summer-Jose to sell Lukaku and standard liege to sell Batshuayi. Then there is Demba available, Gomis on a free. Doumbia for £15 mill……All Cf’s who would definitely fit the bill for Nufc and are much needed.
    We cannot rely on Cisse again for another season. Ldj although a cracking link between midfield and the forward line has seriously got to bring his scoring boots to the remaining matches to earn a deal

• 9 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Many times?? Come on…

Managing people is about handling them differently. Is Mourinho a poor man manager because he didn’t get the best out of Mata? It’s not as if we have loads of players demanding transfers!

You’re arguing very different points to the ones I made…

Pardew is the manager so HBA needs to fit into the way he wants him to play. And as I said, I see it as a trust issue. For a player like him, his teammates should trust that he knows when to take on a man and when to hold onto the ball.

People seem to forget that he’s been injured for a month so it wasn’t Pardew’s choice not to play him.

• 10 BandB // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM

TDS,

Wrong time of the month?
    Wow, way to go TDS.

• 11 croftus5678 // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

@3 catchy

arfa showed yesterday just what he is capable of and what a good player he actually is “when its in his interests to do it”

lets not forget his performance and the fact he was a team player in that game was because it was the players who was upset with him and not the manager !
    and i do hope it does him the world of good as he should be a 1st teamer if he does play for the team and not himself.

on past stats though he only passes when he’s on the verge of losing the ball and they norm 3 yards away from him when he does (shame because as shown yesterday he prob has the best pass of anyone in the team)

then theres the 44 shots in 23 games or something which shows he doesnt look for a pass to a better positioned player instead opting to do things himself and shoot from anywhere within 40yards.

• 12 sweendog // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Doumbia .. Would be excellent .. We new 2 new strikers .. Ldj IMO isn’t the answer however he is a good link up player .. We need 2 strikers . 1 ACM .. A winger and a rb .. Jenkinson would be good as cover for debuchy .. Would love also that player from Lyon as cover for tiote ..

• 13 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

croftus & welsh

from the last thread cos ed changes them more than a women changes her mind

hadiara should finish the season nothing against dummett I like him
    although I think I have seen enough of hadiara to either find another position for santon or sell him in the summer and let hadiara and dummet fight it out for leftback next season

on the ben arfa debate

he only needs to tweak his game a little and defensive play is not all about tracking back you can defend from the front

I will say with 2 holding mids in the team we should be able to accommodate a flair player

• 14 Nordhausen // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

New chant for the next time ashley, which by the way is a girls name, is at the match.

It’s Cheap
    It’s Tat
    The owner is Geet Fat
    sports direct
    sports direct

• 15 jazzyp // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Sweendog
    Do you really see Jenkinson coming here for a season just to sit on the bench as he is doing now at arsenal, Unless Debs is another player to be leaving us come the summer months

• 16 magpie6699 // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Hi guys. Big week for me – after nearly a month without a match ( I had to miss the Villa game) I’ve got 3 in a week. I can’t normally get to away games but I’m off to Southampton, meeting up with my daughter who lives there. What’s the ground and fans like? My tickets are in with the Toon fans so I hope it’s good crack although I can’t say I’m over-optimistic about getting any sort of result.
    As for yesterday, I’ve already said in earlier blogs how much I loathe Pulis. The only thing in the MOM stats is I’m surprised Tiote isn’t higher – he worked his socks off tidying up and carrying – and as for that shot! Just a shame he hasn’t distribution skills like Cabaye.

• 17 jimmysmith // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Interesting article in the Guardian on Friday suggesting that senior players in the squad had come out and said that they didn’t trust HBA to contribute as part of the team unit. Essentially to pull his weight. Which would suggest Pardews decision to somewhat marginalise him is not an unpopular one, nor an isolated one.

• 18 Mister Tuff // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

TDS – I think that BandB’s pen picture of you was pretty accurate. Whilst you may not like to admit it you do as a default position retreat to a perceived perspective (your perspective) of superiority during arguments as if that is the correct termination of the debate.
    In your inner rage/incredulity today of being challenged by BandB -she has by design or luck -engineered you into a position of making a comment about the female sex in general -which basically proves her arguments about you. You seem to be very intolerant. The “wrong time of month” comments are not appropriate these days and that suggestion about a female -with a variable such as age may or may not be FACT.
    I have to award you the “Sunday morning tool” label today.

• 19 BandB // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

jesper,

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

It has been more of a hoot in times gone by.

• 20 sweendog // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Jazzyp yep agreed however he would be backup to debuchy who we need

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Wow I thought I was going to get hammered for that comment about sissoko and yaya yaya toure

So you either agree or ignoring me and the post it’s probably the second one

Oh well did try talking about football

• 22 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

welsh
    I missed the comment

but really there miles apart
    I think they got the same type of engine
    can sissoko grow into a yaya type player only time will tell but if he does he wont be playing for us

• 23 sweendog // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Welsh.. Bit early to compare him to yaya .. One is world class and the other is yaya toure ..

• 24 jazzyp // Mar 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Welsh
    Morning bud, Sissoko for me is a starter in every game we play. Yes he had an off day yesterday but is more consistent than not.

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

BandB…I suppose we all have to shoulder some blame!

• 26 cyprus // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Jimmysmith,
    Thanks for pointing out this article…

Still, I’ll disagree. Where did the author get that ‘It’s understood…’? It seems obvious: from AP’s words.Where’s the triangulation? I really doubt (without actually knowing) that other players feel he doesn’t pull his weight. Why? On the evidence on the field. When they run out of ideas, when they don’t know what to do next, who do they trust, who do they give the ball to? Yep, him.

• 27 magpie6699 // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hello …..silence. Ignored as usual. Maybe that’s why fewer people come on the blog?

• 28 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Good football crack earlier today on yesterday’s match on MOM and reading this mornings papers how subjective peoples opinions on how players played

Sunday Sun
    No one was MOM – Krul Colo, Sissoko, Tiote and Cisse got 7 merit marks. rest 6 except Du Jong with 5
    Ben arfa and Shola got 6 how on earth can HBA get 6 when he did ten time

• 29 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:23 AM

was continuing with post when bloody thing jumped off screen
    Ben arfa and Shola got 6 how on earth can HBA get 6 when he did ten times as much as Shola
    Sunday Mirror
    Mbiwa was MOM with 7 merit marks along with Ben Arfa yet no player from the TOON in team of the day – Speroni was in the team of day for goalkeeper/.

Go to Observer and 3 of the TOON players were in the OPTA stats index data of the day for players in each position on the pitch.

They were Mbiwa, Tiote, and Cisse. Speroni was in the team also for his keepers display

• 30 dufuss // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:27 AM

gobshite tooting about

• 31 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM

So much for being nice then

• 32 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM

See if you can answer me this

Who’s been your best player this season

See another football question see I can do it

• 33 lesh // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Ooh, naughty naught Beermonkey. Your comment about the frequency of Ed’s blogs (‘….from the last thread cos ed changes them more than a women changes her mind….’)will get you into trouble with Mr Tuff!

• 34 toon kk // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I’m not sure if people were happy with our performance yesterday or not? It was great to get the win but on commentary it said that both teams could play all day and not score, before Cisse’s goal.

• 35 lesh // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:47 AM

welshgeordie9…. Best player?

Shola, by a country mile.

:-D

• 36 lesh // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM

But seriously, although I only saw the MoTD clips, I was pleased for Cisse.

He seemed to be getting into the right positions, was given some good halls but was just plain unlucky he didn’t score more.

As Shearer said, a striker shouldn’t worry too much about missing chances, he should worry when he’s not putting himself in a position where he has the chances.

I think that with the right service, Cisse will come good and be a prolific scorer, again.

• 37 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM

lesh

its bloody true

• 38 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I do appreciate the work he does though

• 39 wolfshead@toon // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM

tuffers is a bird :0

• 40 Blofal // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Dont be too harsh on LDJ. He is a good link up player and Pulis had obviously realised that as he was double teamed the whole game.

He didn’t have a bad game in the true sense of the phrase, he was just targeted and marked out of it by the opposition. Which is actually a compliment in itself.

I agree he does need to find the net and soon, but he is a decent holding striker. I’d still have him in the team for the right price as he is young and will improve. Maybe his form will allow us to drive down his transfer price.

• 41 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM

This summer is going to be one of the most crucial transfer windows in a long time .

Do nothing and we have a real chance of being relegated next year as we have seen without Cabaye or Remy how poor we are.

However we still have a decent spine to the team and with a few quality additions we could be challenging for Europe again .

Possible team for next season :

—————————–Krul——————————

–Debuchy——–Willo———M’biwa——–Haidara–

————Sissoko————————–Tiote————

—Cabella—————-Grenier——————Marin—

——————————–Ba——————————

Bench: Elliot,Santon,Collo,Anita,HBA,Marv,Gouff

Get rid of – Shola,Gosling,Obertan,Cisse (unless he starts scoring for fun again) and I wouldn’t even bother with De Jong as he hasn’t scored in nearly a year .

Ba – £7 Million
    Marko Marin – £5 Million
    Cabella – £10 Million
    Grenier – £ 8 million

All that for £ 30 million and we will have a strong bench as well . But Ashley is in charge so I doubt we will se anything like that :( .

• 42 yo-yo // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

TDS

wrong time of month ?
    Sexist juvenile tripe – you do your reputation no good by stooping to such a gutter level. You owe B&B an apology. We don’t do racism and we don’t do sexism.

And now..

Very pleased to see Cisse looking sharp – somewhat unfortunate but so close to scoring two or three – good positional play on runs, head up , looked a much happier bunny. We NEED him back at the level we all know he can play at. But he’s a relatively cheap striker by EPL standards and may be we expceted too much of him and put too much pressure on – as well as him not playing in a settled central role – after all many quality strikers hit empty patches. Another 6- 8 goals till the end of the season will see hime right for next season. We do need the right partner for him and it isn’t Remy.

• 43 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

dufuss and magipe6699

Stop shit stirring you moan I don’t talk football well I have dished 2 questions this morning 2nd question no one as bothered to answer people have told me to move on and I have so why don’t you.

• 44 wolfshead@toon // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

bpc

debs prob wants to be away and ba prob doesnt want to come back

• 45 Mister Tuff // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM

lesh/wolfshead – I have learned over many years that in today’s society, including homelife, that such comments reap no rewards. Come on guys -get with modernity, move on from sexism -we are all equal (now).

• 46 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM

BPC

marko marin was at Chelsea saw him a few times he went out onloan dunno how he is doin but he looked good when I saw him
    maybe pards mate jose can do him a favour

don’t think ba would come back and I don’t think we would pay him what he wants so like remy is a none starter

cabrella I think is still a done deal and he is ours (fingers crossed)
    wouldn’t mind grenier as well

but we need a decent centre back with pace

• 47 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM

The ones who stay away from this blog are the ones who can dish but not take and also arselick others who’s afraid of upsetting if they don’t agree with them

Sad but true

• 48 wolfshead@toon // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM

tuffers

reap no rewards? your talking about booty right? :-)

• 49 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM

And on that bombshell

I now quit this blog for good so you can say whatever you want

• 50 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Only joking I’m not going anywhere

Ha ha ha

• 51 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Anyway back to football and I hope spurs do us favour today

• 52 beermonkey // Mar 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM

welsh

a draw for me my brother is a spurs fan and we have a bet every year on who will finish higher

• 53 welshgeordie9 // Mar 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I know it’s all ifs

But if spurs win today
    We win on Tuesday
    Saturdays match against Southampton will be very interesting to watch

• 54 OhSholaAmeobi // Mar 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Don’t trust sunday newspapers.

Mbiwa was our worst player, stood out like a sore thumb.
    Sissoko was our best, followed by Cisse.
    Colo and Willo solid enough but Jerome had the run on them a couple of times.
    Tiote great but gave the ball away now and again.
    De Jong pretty hopeless.

• 55 lesh // Mar 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Mr Tuff.

You’re so right when you say that sexist comments reap no reward, especially at home.

I’ve got the scars to prove it!

;-)

• 56 mindshaft // Mar 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I thought HBA was actually shooting rather than crossing, having seen it numerous times now he was definitely going for the shot
    Still if they end up going in the back of the net …..

previous post: Pardew Gave Options To John Carver – Not Directives