Newcastle May Appoint Director Of Football From Within

There was news in the national papers last week that Mike Ashley was so put off by Joe Kinnear’s woeful performance as the Newcastle Director of Football, that he would not be appointing another one at Newcastle.

lee charnley with Mike and Joe

Lee Charnley on the right here with Ashley and Kinnear

Joe was a disaster in the position and Dennis Wise wasn’t too much better either.

But with so much transfer business to be done this summer, and with the news that Newcastle want to bring in six or seven new players, there needs to be somebody out front who can negotiate the deals – such as the transfer fee and the wages of any new players, and that’s not what football managers do.

The Journal is reporting that a new executive will be appointed,  and a man in the running for that new position is Lee Charnley, the current Club Secretary, who is only 36 years old.

Lee has been at the club for a while, and has been involved in a lot of the transfer work that goes on, and he already has worked well with Alan Pardew, and it could be that Lee is appointed as the new executive.

It could be a Director of Football, Chief Executive, Managing Director or Chairman – whatever title the owner chooses, but that position will include responsibilities for the transfer business at a financial level.

And Lee has essentially been operating in that position since early February since Joe was fired, so that’s an advantage for him.

He’s said to be a shy and very quiet man, and this is what a source told the Chronicle about him about three weeks ago:

“He never puts his head above the parapet and he doesn’t get involved in the politics.” “He’s very, very quiet and doesn’t get involved in arguments.”

“He’s been at the club for a long time and he joined when he was only a young lad.” “He likes to keep in the background and he doesn’t give interviews.”

Seems like the perfect man to us – Lee’s quiet but gets the job done – and doesn’t involve himself with politics.

Alan Pardew, or more accurately Lee Charnley,  will get a transfer budget and new targets will need to have fees (and wages) that Newcastle can afford, and fit within that budgeted figure – that’s what budgets are in any business.

And given the turmoil that Joe’s appointment caused, a Lee Charnley appointment would reward a good job already done by the Club Secretary at Newcastle, and mean that the transfer team has already worked together over the last few years.

That would be good news.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM

As long as the right people discuss and have say on what we need then it’s just a case of somebody going over and getting the deal done for a fee the club will agree on.

We could have the best negotiator but if he just has a budget which is less than what the selling club will agree to he is stuck.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Also I may be wrong, and going against the general consensus, but I don’t think Ashley will want to risk all the prem league TV money by having to gamble in january again.

I think he has learned enough from that to send us into the season with enough for a comfortable top ten finish. Whether if it’s loans, frees or cheap players, either way I think we will have enough to be similar to we are this season.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Repost from previous thread

welshgeordie9

It’s not about being happy or not mate, I am simply taking a realistic view of the club at this moment in time.

In my opinion we will not attract any of the good players on the market because (a) we have no ambition, every player wants to progress and win things, (b) Other clubs are now a more promising stepping stone to bigger clubs than us, because they will offer better terms than Ashley.
    (c) They style of play at our club is boring, we have shown very little quality since Cabaye left, and the fans my self included are getting on the players backs because of it. (d) we have a poor coaching staff, and a mediocre manager, if we can see all these things wrong with the club, then players and agents can see it also.

We will get players in, there is no doubt about that, but what sort of player will come is another question.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM

firebugg

I personally feel we will get 3/4 quality boys in, not top quality like suarez, bale etc but players of cabaye and remy class (or thereabouts) as ultimately prem league pays big wages compared to other leagues and it’s a great platform to kick on.

I agree all (or 99%) of players want to win things, but most know they never will as not good enough for a top club.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Yeah I know mate just wait until the window open and then see what happens either we will be excited or miserable

• mindshaft

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM

So we have the pot we haven’t spent in the last couple of windows, the 19 million Cabaye money, 10 million profit and 60 million TV money – thats about 100 million although I expect we’ll get no more than 20 million to spend on players in the summer

On another note….
    Why do people keep going on about Swansea / Southampton – last time I looked Swansea were bang in relegation trouble and we are still ahead of Saints
    The only team ahead of us that we can realistically expect to compete with is Everton – the chance to push on and build on the 5th place we had has long gone and Tubbs aint gonna spend the cash – we may not like it but the other 6 teams above us are outspending us 5-1 at least and sadly the top 4 have long been the biggest spenders

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM

welsh

Exactly, complaining now on here wont do much good (fair enough to those protesting at the ground) but until they achieve their goal of getting ashley out then we just have to see what happens in each window.

It’s rarely exciting but who knows, like I said above, I don’t think he will really gamble that much by getting nobody, I think we will see at least 4 and maybe more if any first 11 players leave.

I might be being far too optimistic, but just how I see it. We have plenty cash from TV and cabaye sale and there will be plenty free players around so we should get decent numbers in.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

mindshaft

We never realistically had the chance to build on 5th though, we finished ahead of chelsea and liverpool, both of which have way more cash and have spent it since on some good players and managers…..even if we went all out we wouldn’t be able to compete with them.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Sage

If we get 3 or 4 Gouffran type players I would be very happy. But we all know how Ashley operates, you said it yourself @ 1, if we are not willing to pay the extra amount to get in decent players then what are we left with? Most likely the players no one else want, the bargain basement?

I hope we can sign some quality as we have in the past, but I am afraid that Ashley has stolen my optimism when it comes to the transfer market.

• welshgeordie9

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM

mindshaft have you been drinking this morning, the only reason swans are struggling this season is because of Europe, having injuries to key players in a small squad just like us last season as for Southampton we beating them by 1 point yippee.

I

• Ben3arfa

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Lee Charneley is a smoggy and is no different to Llambias and/or Kinnear in terms of hopelessness in the transfer market. To hell with him and Mike Ashley

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM

firebugg
    I think when desperate though (like last jan) we did pay those agent fees and get people in, none were big fees but we just got on with it, no histrionics.

I have no evidence or even history from recent windows to suggest we will spend much, but I do think that we won’t gamble so we will get the job done and sign enough to keep us at our level, not kick on though.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Mindshaft

I only mentioned Swansea etc as Pardrew said we could not compete with them in the transfer market.

• GeordieDan

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Must say my bit on Santon:

I don’t understand why some rate him so highly?

He’s definitely not a good defender, he gets forward but rarely actually makes an assist or has a shot even close to the target and if he ever beats a man up the wing his crossing is terrible.

I’d like to know what other fans see in him. I think he’s a decent player who is young enough to improve but thats about it.

Am I missing something?

• spitfire_

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM

So after the “stupid” DoF now it’s time for “the shy one” DoF.

Just imagine how this calm guy who doesn’t go into arguments will lead the negotiations for some transfer.

Charnley: 7 mill for Cabella.
    Nicollin: 20 mill.
    Charnley: Okay, sounds good.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM

ballerfan

comments like that on the last thread just show you’ve swallowed all the spin and your expectations have been successfully managed and lowered.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Sage I hope you are right. and I will accept that I am wrong if what you say comes to pass, I just cannot get my hopes up anymore.

Still we will just have to wait and see, you have said that before too, and under our present regime I agree that’s all we can do.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM

rotonda

Where do you think we should be?

I think 6th is the best and that requires us to best spurs and everton who will probably look to us the same way.

I honestly think liverpool, man utd, chelsea, arsenal and man city have much more spending power than us, richer owners, bigger history, bigger sponsorship and commercial deals (not all fit all categories but most of them fit most).

I do agree things should be better, but realistically how much higher will we get.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM

geodie dan

I have never understood the hype with santon, always caught out defensively and offers nothing but frustration going forward.

Don’t know why Haidara isn’t getting a game. Dummet is ok but delivery on set plays is shocking.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

firebugg

Yeh you are right, as long as Ashley is here my hopes wont be high, just this time i think as we need players to be safe, not just want them to kick on, we should see a few come in to maintain our current level.

Realistically I would just like to see us play some nice football and be around 7/8th and have the odd cup run, don’t expect too much as plenty others teams will expect the same or more than us giving their spending power.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

rotonda

Dummet initially took a good corner, whipped in at pace into the six yard box, now it’s floated like others to willo….not his fault, tactical i feel

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Sage

A cup run would be great, I would love that, and I hate to be negative but my question would be: Does our present manager have the ability to compete in more than one competition?

I know we did well in Europe and under difficult circumstances with injuries etc. But it almost cost us relegation, This season we have done well in the league all things considered, but it is the only competition we are in.

• GeordieDan

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Rotonda>

I really rate Haidara frim the little bits we’ve seen of him. Poor kid is seems to be a magnet for nasty tackles though-wonder if they’ve knocked his confidence a bit or maybe a yard off his pace?

You’d like to have faith the NUFC backroom new what they were doing but I’ve thought Santon should have been dropped ages ago to give Dummett and Haidara a chance.

Dummets crossing has definitely got worse lately so like TS said he may be getting told how to cross it l-floated to Willo (for a change) instead of whipping it in?

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

firebug

I think he has the ability to compete in a cup and league but I just don’t like his style, I think the inconsistency in the team means we will struggle to win the 5/6 games in a row in a cup to get to the final/lift it.

For me we need a couple forwards who can score as although we put out a strong team for the FA cup by resting Remy (and missing cabaye through injury) we removed well over half the goals from the team.

• oldbobaycliffe

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

lee charnley will not be a doff he will just negotiate the fees wages etc something kinnear was to thick to do.a real doff goes out and buys his choices avb said he didn,t want 4 of the players bought with bales money.so the players brought in will be pardews and carrs so as pardew prefers english players it could be interesting

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

TS

I think my frustrations lie more in the horrendous lack of consistency where the team selection, tactics and subs at Fulham were shocking, but markedly better on Saturday.

There is just no consistency with Pardew so difficult to gauge where we should realistically be.