The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle To Let Top Center-Back Leave In Summer

9:52 am, Monday, March 24th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 83 Comments

Newcastle will bring in six or seven new players this summer, and to accommodate them there will be a number of players leaving the club, and news today that local lad Steven Taylor will be made available in the summer.

steven taylor thumbs up

Steven Taylor – to be let go this summer

Steven has a lucrative contract that has another two years to run come June, but he has been unable to get many games at center-back this season, and is now the fourth choice so he will be sold and a new center-back will be brought in.

He started the season badly at the Emirates when he didn’t play well ,and then got himself sent off before half time, and it was then that he lost his place and he’s been on the sidelines most of the time since then, with Mike Williamson having a very good season as first choice alongside Colo.

It’s also probably for Steven’s own good that he leaves the club, because he’s good enough to still play in the Premier League, and there will be a number of clubs come in for him over the summer months.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp was interested in taking the 28 year-old in January, and he could well try to take him to London, especially if QPR can get promoted back to the Premier League – currently they are in a play-off position 10 points behind second  placed Burnley.

And with Shola Ameobi’s contract running out in July and not being renewed, that will be the two top local lads at Newcastle for the last decade or so leaving the club.

We just have to hope that other local players come through like Paul Dummett and Adam Armstrong as only two examples.

And it remains to be seen if Fabricio Coloccini leaves in the summer this summer, since that problem with his family being in Buenos Aries still exists.

We really hope Colo stays – but if he does leave Newcastle would then need to bring in two new center-backs – although 19 year-old Remie Street, the local lad from South Shields, is looking good in training.

Steven Taylor has played 242 games for Newcastle with 13 goals, and he made his debut way back in early 2004, at age 18, when the great Sir Bobby Robson was managing the club.

Comments welcome,

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Steven Taylor · Transfer News and Rumours

83 responses so far ↓

• 1 ilovetoon8788 // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

For his sheer attitude and character on the pitch i hope Cisse stays with us next season.

He can be a great role model for Adam Campbell and Armstrong to follow.

• 2 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Every NUFC player is a top player

• 3 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

ilovetoon

Cisse impressed me recently, poor in front of goal but he hasn’t gone hiding and he is still getting himself in positions to score even though he is missing….a lot of players just avoid the ball when in bad form but not cisse.

• 4 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

If ever there was an award for Blog Diplomacy, it would go to

Transfer Sage.

• 5 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM

ilovetoon8788

Well said, if Cisse’s attitude rubbed off on some of the other player in the squad, half the problems on the pitch would dissolve.

I hate to watch our player make a pass then run forward only to see the ball being passed backwards.

• 6 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Himanshu Dhingra @4

I agree, I think that is because Sage doesn’t try to force his opinions on anyone, doesn’t call people name, and gives a well thought out opinion. Exactly the kind of blogger we need, I think I am similar in that respect. :D

• 7 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Top centre back? And I suppose Shola is a top striker…

4th choice centre back and the first one out of the door as far as most of us are concerned…

• 8 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Did you see how pi@@ed off and fed up ashley looked saturday. Didnt look like a man who would be heavily investing his money into something he obviously doesnt love

• 9 mindshaft // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I don’t mind Saylor being allowed to leave, we might get a few million for him although it won’t go into the transfer kitty sadly

what do people think we’re going get out of next few games – I reckon we’ll get 10 points at best but possibly as low as 6

Everton (h) win
    Southampton (a) loss
    Manure (h) loss
    Stoke (a) draw
    Swansea (h) win
    Arsenal (a) defeat
    Cardiff (h) win
    Liverpool (a) defeat

• 10 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

the words top player and taylor all in the same sentence lol
    if he was a top player we wouldn’t try to offload him and there would be better suitors than qpr

best quote I saw on here regarding him was he has the heart of a lion brain of of a chimp, something like that

I for one will never forget when the sniper shot him when he handled the ball in the box

• 11 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Firebug

Diplomacy is fine but you must take a stand sometimes. It can’t always be grey. ;)

• 12 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

jazzyp

Yeah he had the sort of face that would curdle cream. Think he must have just been given Pardrew’s want’s list.

• 13 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

jazzyp

Ashley looked like he was asleep at one point

• 14 Ginger // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I notice when everyone says how much money we have, they seem to calculate it wrong. Or it may just be me being stupid, one of the two.

What we will have by my understanding is:

20 from Cabaye

10 from last years profit

Roughly thirty 30 – 35 from television money. (Since we made a ten mil profit with the television money last year, we sill still need that same amount to break even this year. Thus we will only actually receive the extra 20 mill as a profit. Take into consideration that we’re also finishing around 8th as appose to 17th it’ll be around 30 – 35)

Ten mill from the almighty Wonga.

So all together about 70.

Obviously I could be badly wrong, due to running costs, attendance, agent fees, signing on fees, general wages, players wages, etc.

But it seems that no matter what way you look at it, we’ve got a canny bit of money to spend.

• 15 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Hilarious headline that Ed

I was thinking Colo or MYM but saylor is championship level at best.

People get duped by his chest thumping and badge kissing (when he’s not threatening to leave with pay demands!)

Basically Saylor turns slower than a tugboat , makes poor decisions and his positional sense is shocking. No coincidence our really bad run coincided with Saylor being recalled and breaking up the Willo, MYM partnership. Another strange pardew decision.

TS on last thread

I think my frustrations lie more in the horrendous lack of consistency where the team selection, tactics and subs at Fulham were shocking, but markedly better on Saturday.

There is just no consistency with Pardew so difficult to gauge where we should realistically be.

• 16 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Himanshu Dhingra

Your absolutely right of cause, with me they is no grey, it’s always black and white! :)

• 17 Ginger // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Give it all to Pardew and we’ll get ten Obertans, two Tomkins and an Elliot.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the gaps in our squad will actually be filled this year. Instead of buying players in positions we don’t need.

• 18 Ciaran // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

If Saylor is a top centre back then there may still be some hope left for me becoming a PL centre half after all.

I’d love Ed to do an in-depth subjective view as to who he thinks are the ‘top’ players at our club. The reality is that outside of Debuchy, Remy and Colo, we have very few who would be rated much higher than average.

• 19 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Rotonda heights

You forgot to mention his dancing ability, how impressed must that goalkeeper have been seeing such moves in front of him :D

• 20 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Firebug

It’s funny I recently went on an FA safeguarding course and it did make me take a look at myself.

I was doing so well until I lost it with Wolfshead the other day which was totally unnecessary!

Maybe anger management courses should be mandatory in the geordie constitution!

• 21 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Firebug

You mean Black OR White? ;)

• 22 Rainrix // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Wow one goal and attitudes towards cisse are now the polar opposite from “most useless player to play for nufc”. Must admit i really hope he gets back into scoring form as he’s a really good person.

• 23 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I think ed puts out these controversial headlines to get us to bite and get the thread going and we do!

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Rotonda

I don’t get out players being knocked down to the level of “Championship level at best”. Where did this phrase come from?

Saylor is at the level or better of centre halves at several teams in the bottom half of the PL.

I’d rather see him leave than any of the other 3, but that doesn’t mean I think he’s useless.

• 25 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Within what parameters do we think we will operate under ?? The club need to rid itself of the dead wood for a start, and we all know who they are without keep bringing there names up.
    Then if it is to be believed we are already active in bringing players in for the summer…….. Hopefully exciting times lay ahead

• 26 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Rotonda heights

Maybe if you give Pardrew a ring, he must know a few good recommendations.

Seriously though I think everyone loses it on here at some point, I taken to telling our lass I love her, and get rid of my frustration during the ensuing argument, until she realises I’m not really after anything.

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Ciaran

Can you define average in terms of your last post?

• 28 firebug666 // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Himanshu Dhingra

No my life is definitely Black AND White :D

• 29 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

RH@15

name me another manager that would split up a defence that has not conceded especially when there all pretty fresh

he wont rotate players when its obvious there tired and need a game off

his team is based around his favourite players not whats best for the team

• 30 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM

HD

I’ll take that as a compliment, thank you. I don’t agree with everything and will say so at times, but if people don’t want to engage in debate I don’t see the point clogging up the blog with arguments (occasionally does happen though).

• 31 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

People slagging off Pardew for having his favourites, yet in the summer those favourites were supposed to be the likes of Jonas, Shola, Saylor and even Ben Arfa. Many people were saying those players should not play often and they haven’t.

Pardew has to select not only the team that fits well together but also that can counteract the opposition.

Simple fact. 8th place. Job done.

• 32 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

What you can see is that top teams have a goal scorer (except arsenal who are now starting to struggle).

We need to make sure next year we have a top level striker, spend the bulk of our money on the top striker then get player of the like Gomis and Hunt on a free or other lower fees as they are a dime a dozen where you need quality to finish. How many years did shearer drag us up the league with his goals where and average forward wouldn’t get them.

Shearer got plenty of goals whether part of our strongest team or with average midfielders, it’s vital.

• 33 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM

TDS

I think the favourite thing was valid up until this season, I think he has dispelled that now for me.

Jonas being the main one, santon too, have both been dropped or loaned out, shola is getting less game time now we have other options and ben arfa has been sidelined along with taylor.

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

TS

Don’t forget Chelsea. They have goal threats all over the place but no top class out and out striker. Well, Eto’o is excellent but he’s also getting on a bit.

The issue with us is that we don’t have enough goal threats. Imagine if you were facing us and who you would be afraid would score the goals…Remy and…er….

We need the opposition to have to worry about more goal threats as that creates space for any of our players to have chances to score.

• 35 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM

TDS

True, eto and torres both have a decent goal return for the games though, both around remy really (in total goals, not sure on just league).

Like you say, if a team keeps remy quiet we struggle as gouff gets a few but not loads.

I’d like us to take a punt on lukaku, chelsea meant to be selling him for 17/18mil and surely if we can pay 9mil for cisse we can pay 18 for lukaku with our extra tv/cabaye money as at 20 we could have 5/6 good years then sell for a huge profit if he develops as expected.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

providing lukaku wants to come and doesn’t get better offers, worth putting our name in the hat

• 37 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

TDS

Sorry he really is. A few years back someone did a youtube compilation of Bramble’s endless cock ups which lasted over 7 mins. I’m sure saylor wouldn’t be far behind

• 38 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

4 strikers we should look at

Volland
    Ibesevic
    calhanoglu
    Lassoga

• 39 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM

sage

you know if we even tried to buy lakaku we would open the bidding at around 8 mill

• 40 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

beer

True, I don’t think we would even consider going for him….my point was just more along the lines of we could afford him if they wanted to.

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM

TS

I’m not sure it was ever just a favourite thing. The squad was smaller then and he had the choice of playing Jonas or someone like Sammy or Marv. Well they haven’t exactly proved themselves as good enough.

I think it’s easy for fans to criticise the selection of a decent (but not spectacular) player when they romanticise the ability of a fringe player. The likes of Campbell, Chopra, Armstrong and others have often been made out to be the next Bellamy, Shearer, Gazza etc.

• 42 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM

we can afford him easy and it would be a real statement of intent to other in coming players
    he would need to be convinced I would think

but the club could double there investment I would think with in 3 years

I get that Ashley don’t wanna put his cash into the club,
    but this the first time we as a club have made significant cash
    I know the Ashley era has been tainted with lies and deceit but he and his cronies have always said the club can keep the cash it raises
    according to the fans forum meeting there is an outstanding 18mill left to be paid and they said he had no plans to take that out, if that comes out this year we should still be able to spend 40 comfortably this window

it remains to be seen what will happen this window
    I will decide weather I am happy or not on sept 2nd when the window closes

• 43 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

TS

In the league, Eto’o and Torres have scored 1 fewer goal combined than Remy (13) has. Other competitions don’t really count as they’ve played more games. But their goals are much more spread than ours. Hazard has scored loads, so has Oscar and the likes of Schurrle and WIllian chip in. Not to mention the extra goal threat from Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill etc.

• 44 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Even If we are doing well in a season and look like qualifying for Europa via league or cup.

You can trust Pardew to screw the season like he did against WBA and Swansea or in 2011 against Wigan, sunderland and wolves

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Rotonda

He’s made cock-ups but he’s also saved us time after time, several goal-line clearances or last minute tackles.

I just think that some fans go overboard with criticism of our own players. He’s our 4th choice centre back…what do we really expect from our 4th choice centre back?

He’s a starter in a lower PL team.

• 46 wolfshead@toon // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

rotonda

i was winding u up over wenger tho haha

• 47 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM

TDS

true, but i do feel that there was some favouritism based on past performances and not dropping people sooner.

There is something to be said for having faith in players regaining form and not dropping them for a couple bad games but i think Pardew stretched it a bit much even with his limited options, he has been better recently though

• 48 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Saylor is just the tip of the iceberg the whole squad needs overhauling, the likes of Coloccini, Williamson, Shola, Sammy, De Jong, Gosling, Marveuaux, Obertan, Gosling, Amilfatano, Elliott all need moving on they aren’t up to the required standard.

• 49 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM

TDS

Fair enough, i though eto’o had a few more but i must be thinking of cups….but like you say they have goals from other players like hazard and oscar.

Even still most people will say chelsea need a top striker to consistently challenge in all comps.

• 50 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM

And the ridiculous manager the butt of a thousand jokes needs sacking.

• 51 wolfshead@toon // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:34 AM

mag

and the thousand jokes are all yours

• 52 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Only a geek who knows nothing about football would try and compare the brilliant Wenger with the moronic Pardew.

• 53 wolfshead@toon // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM

mag

if you are addressing me then like rotonda you are a selective reader who jumps to conclusions maybe you should contact him and ask to join him at his anger management course

• 54 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM

You seem to be high jumping to your own conclusions.

• 55 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

TS

He has a bigger squad now. Who did he have to replace Jonas? Obertan? Marv? Sammy? I think he would have outperformed them all. Dropped Shola for Campbell? Only if Campbell was playing out of his skin in training.

Chelsea are probably going to win the league but could be better if they had a world class striker to lead the line. Says a lot…

Also leads onto my point that even the likes of Chelsea and Man City (central defender) are lacking players when you look at them carefully.

• 56 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM

TDS

Absolutely, all teams will always want more, whether it’s just numbers, so prem league quality back up or title winning quality back up all managers will feel short in one or two areas when put in context with what they want to achieve.

I think going off pardew’s comments that campbell is as good as shola in training gave him a problem as it then made us ask “well if he is as good, why does he get a fraction of the game time”, which is a valid complaint I feel.

I’d say that it’s not always about the quality of who comes in, just sometimes a change to just drive people on….obertan is garbage but jonas offered very very little in an attacking sense last year, and when playing in his role you do need to offer more in that sense than defensively (need both obviously but need at least some attacking).

• 57 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Newcastle United, has a whole team of bit part players that need moved along to pastures new and more players of the calibre of Remy, Debuchy, MrT, need brought in along with a coach who knows how to handle these sorts of players.

• 58 Ciaran // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM

TDS

Define average? Create a pecking order of a standard of player and you would have ‘World Class’ – ‘Very Good’ – ‘Average’ etc

I would rate Colo, Debuchy and Remy as ‘Very Good’ but would rate the likes of Anita, Tiote, Sissoko, Krul and M’biwa to be knocking on that door and sometimes they do look very good.

Then you have players like Gouffran, Willo, Dummett, Cisse, Ben Arfa and Santon (yes these last 2 will be disagreed with by many) who are nothing more than pretty average players.

Then you have the underlings of the squad – Gosling, Shola, Obertan and Saylor – the tripe who need trimming.

We have a poor squad with a couple of very good players/good players and average players.

8th is job done? Yes, if the job is survival with no financial input (Also we haven’t secured 8th place yet, despite Southampton looking desperate to gift it to us)

Will 8th be job done next season? And the season after that and the season after that?

• 59 jimmysmith // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I think we have a number of good players. Debuchey, Collocini, Remy and Tiote could all do a job at a top six club and Sissoko would be knocking on the door. Anita, Gouffran, Mbiwa, Santon and Krul are all clear Premiership quality also, and Benny is World class on his day. We lack depth as much as quality. If the club were serious about bringing in six good players and shipping six duds, we’d be good for a tilt at sixth, and certainly better than Everton.

• 60 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

TS

Yes. But Jonas was solid, kept the ball and offered something defensively. And let’s be honest, we needed to grind things last season.

There’s also a difference between being good in training and good in a match. Shola has a lot more match experience than Campbell. Also, they are 2 very different players. No point expecting Campbell to hold onto the ball or get his head on lots of crosses…

• 61 Graeme // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Jimmy, The only problem is that teams like Everton improve their quality EVERY window, we do not and have not. We have been static for 3 windows apart from a couple of loans.

Six good playrs would/could improve our squad, undoubtedly; but would it be as good s the steady, progressive improvement almost every team in the league has been doing – with one notable exception – US!!

To challenge for sixth would need a major overhaul of the current squad, which not only means bringing 6 better players than we already have, it means upgrading the “Fringe” players that are going to be released in the summer – you could be looking at a turnover of a dozen players and its simply that unlikely as to be laughable. This is Mike Ashley we are talking about remember – we have heard all this crap from SJP for the last 3 windows!!!

• 62 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM

There seems to be an accepted apathy towards NUFC and it’s failure to regain it’s place in the upper echelons of the Premier League. Supporters on this blog seem to latch onto players of limited technical ability, as if they were a close friend instead of being an overpaid employee of the club employed to do a specific task, which sadly is well beyond a good many of them; management included.

• 63 mindshaft // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Evertons Current away form (last 6 games) 4 losses have been at Arsenal (cup), Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool whilst gaining draws 1-1 draws at West Brom and Stoke. They have managed a measly 3 goals whilst conceding 12 (admittedly 8 of those were in the 4-0 and 4-1 defeats at Anfield and the Emirates).
    It’s likely Martinez will stick with 4-2-3-1 on the attack reverting to a 4-4-2 formation when they need to defend, this has allowed them to improve defensively this season as well as improving their possession and passing stats on last season, however whilst they are solid defensively this has led to them having difficulty scoring this term.
    A lot of their attacks down the left stem from Piennar (who is sidelined for toon game) so that’s good news for us
    Lukaku started Everton life like a train on fire but has found goals hard to come by recently, hopefully this trend will continue until Wednesday at least
    Mirallas is the other threat going forward on the right hand side and has created the 2nd most chances ( behind Piennar ) for Everton this term, we should look to exploit Mirallas as he can often leave Coleman exposed as he is weak tracking back

In summary we need to defend against Baines and Barkley so Gouffran on the right and HBA should play on the left against or centre and try and expose Mirallas / Coleman

I think we can win this but would prefer Haidara at LB rather than Dummett
    Prediction – a hard fought 1-0 to the toon

• 64 Transfer Sage // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM

TDS

True, match experience is important, especially in a relegation scrap but i think it would have been useful to give him more time, just my thoughts anyway from what i saw of him.

And i accept that point on jonas but also would say that being so defensive means you invite pressure down that side as no outball, I don’t think there are definitive answers one way or the other, just think pardew plays things a bit too safe a bit too often

• 65 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Ciaran

I’ll be clearer with my question…when you say “average” are you referring to an average PL player, an average NUFC player, an average top 10 PL player or what?

And I’d say there’s a long way to go from “very good” to “average”, you need to provide a middle ground.

I’d say that Remy, Colo and Debuchy are good enough to start for a top 6 team, while Krul, Willo, Tiote, Goofy, Santon and Sissoko are good enough to be in the squad for a top 6 team.

Anita, Ben Arfa and Cisse are good players but I’m on the fence as to what level they would really be at if they moved to another club as they have been fantastic sometimes and poor others.

Elliot, Saylor and Obertan are good enough for a bottom half PL team.

MYM, Dummett, Sammy, LDJ, Haidara, Bigi and the rest still have something to prove in my eyes.

The only players in our first team squad who I really don’t think are PL quality are Gosling and Shola. I think everyone else either is or has clear potential to be.

• 66 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM

TDS

Jonas’s final ball nearly always turned possession over to the opposition

• 67 Mister Tuff // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Obertan -a Premier League player…………hahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

• 68 AndyNUFC // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

TDS I completely agree with your evaluation – Ciaran is Mr Doom and Gloom though and quite clearly doesn’t have the ability to fairly analyse our players.

• 69 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Howdy lads!

…just saw the goal from Cisse and the assist from Benny! It seems some are speculating in whether it was a shot or a timed delivery by Benny?

• 70 AndyNUFC // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Mister Tuff, funnily enough Obertan isn’t as bad as everyone says he is. He dropped from a very good attacking side in Man U, to join our just newly formed team, and actually started for half of the season and done enough to keep Ben Arfa out – then got injured, lost his place and never got it back. The only reason you see him making a bad touch is because he has only had about 5 minutes over the last season to do anything.

• 71 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Jonas is a prime example of the types of players the club needs to rid itself of a player who clearly is well past it rather like his fellow countryman Coloccini.

• 72 AndyNUFC // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Mag no offence but if you’re a rival fan trying to do some subtle winding up on here – don’t bother.

Or if you are somewhat blind and truly support NUFC and believe Coloccini is past it, then you’re probably winding yourself up.

• 73 Rotonda heights // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM

TDS

Saylor is forced in to making goal line clearances cos he hasn’t marked the guy properly in the first place. A bit like a keeper who never comes off his line for crosses is forced to make brilliant saves

• 74 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM

@72 I think you could level your accusations at yourself. As your obviously of limited intelligence and suffering from a severe bout of mental constipation if you delude yourself about Coloccini.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Mar 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Andy – come on man -Obertan never lived up to his apparently good status in France when he was a youngster. I’ve posted on here a couple of times his playing stats which are not good at all. He looks the part, has blistering speed -but normally without the ball. I would normally hope that a player can excel but I’m afraid old Gabby is a duffer -a shame yes -but I think a truthful assessment.

• 76 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Rotonda

You mean when he tried to cross it into the box? So did the final ball from a lot of our players mate…clearly Jonas’ creativity had waned by that point but he contributed in other areas.

• 77 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM

AndyNUFC

Sad…I’m not expecting everyone to agree with me but I would have thought most people would at least be close. Football is a wonderful forum of opinions so there will be someone who thinks Santon isn’t good enough for a top 10 club and someone else who thinks Dummett is going to be the next England left back. But yeah…there are some who are overly negative…

• 78 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Rotonda

I’m not saying he’s a top centre half. I’m saying he’d be a starter for the likes of Cardiff or Norwich.

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM

TDsarf,
    Dummet has opted to play for Wales. FACT.

• 80 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM

And there are also a few overly optimistic fools that believe Coloccini is a good centre half.

• 81 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM

MisterTuff,
    Good afternoon, I think Obertan is my least favourite Toon player of all time,
    he’s sulky, just doesn’t seem interested and quite frankly isn’t good enough, he’ll see out his contract here before disappearing into obscurity.

• 82 mindshaft // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Funny that Spurs and Swansea are now saying Europa league has left them tired – Wigan ( YES WIGAN ) were also in the Europa, have managed to storm to the playoffs and the semi final of the FA cup and will play at least 60 games this season with a small squad (compared to most)
    Prem league managers and footballers are prima donnas who forever bang on that they play too many games – pathetic

• 83 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 1:17 PM

there a few players in the team that deserve criticism
    but colo
    ok took him time to settle but since then has been nothing but stella a season and half ago was in the pfa team of the year next to kompany
    ok injuries and age getting to him and he has his personal problems and wants to go home fair enough
    (u cant under estimate the power of a nagging women iam surprised more women aint shot in the states on a daily basis through nagging)

its a shame as player and former captain (when he goes) I would have liked him to have gone onto the coaching staff he could offer a lot

previous post: Newcastle May Appoint Director Of Football From Within