Newcastle To Let Top Center-Back Leave In Summer

Newcastle will bring in six or seven new players this summer, and to accommodate them there will be a number of players leaving the club, and news today that local lad Steven Taylor will be made available in the summer.

steven taylor thumbs up

Steven Taylor – to be let go this summer

Steven has a lucrative contract that has another two years to run come June, but he has been unable to get many games at center-back this season, and is now the fourth choice so he will be sold and a new center-back will be brought in.

He started the season badly at the Emirates when he didn’t play well ,and then got himself sent off before half time, and it was then that he lost his place and he’s been on the sidelines most of the time since then, with Mike Williamson having a very good season as first choice alongside Colo.

It’s also probably for Steven’s own good that he leaves the club, because he’s good enough to still play in the Premier League, and there will be a number of clubs come in for him over the summer months.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp was interested in taking the 28 year-old in January, and he could well try to take him to London, especially if QPR can get promoted back to the Premier League – currently they are in a play-off position 10 points behind second  placed Burnley.

And with Shola Ameobi’s contract running out in July and not being renewed, that will be the two top local lads at Newcastle for the last decade or so leaving the club.

We just have to hope that other local players come through like Paul Dummett and Adam Armstrong as only two examples.

And it remains to be seen if Fabricio Coloccini leaves in the summer this summer, since that problem with his family being in Buenos Aries still exists.

We really hope Colo stays – but if he does leave Newcastle would then need to bring in two new center-backs – although 19 year-old Remie Street, the local lad from South Shields, is looking good in training.

Steven Taylor has played 242 games for Newcastle with 13 goals, and he made his debut way back in early 2004, at age 18, when the great Sir Bobby Robson was managing the club.

Comments welcome,

• ilovetoon8788

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

For his sheer attitude and character on the pitch i hope Cisse stays with us next season.

He can be a great role model for Adam Campbell and Armstrong to follow.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Every NUFC player is a top player

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

ilovetoon

Cisse impressed me recently, poor in front of goal but he hasn’t gone hiding and he is still getting himself in positions to score even though he is missing….a lot of players just avoid the ball when in bad form but not cisse.

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

If ever there was an award for Blog Diplomacy, it would go to

Transfer Sage.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM

ilovetoon8788

Well said, if Cisse’s attitude rubbed off on some of the other player in the squad, half the problems on the pitch would dissolve.

I hate to watch our player make a pass then run forward only to see the ball being passed backwards.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Himanshu Dhingra @4

I agree, I think that is because Sage doesn’t try to force his opinions on anyone, doesn’t call people name, and gives a well thought out opinion. Exactly the kind of blogger we need, I think I am similar in that respect. 😀

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Top centre back? And I suppose Shola is a top striker…

4th choice centre back and the first one out of the door as far as most of us are concerned…

• jazzyp

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Did you see how pi@@ed off and fed up ashley looked saturday. Didnt look like a man who would be heavily investing his money into something he obviously doesnt love

• mindshaft

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I don’t mind Saylor being allowed to leave, we might get a few million for him although it won’t go into the transfer kitty sadly

what do people think we’re going get out of next few games – I reckon we’ll get 10 points at best but possibly as low as 6

Everton (h) win
    Southampton (a) loss
    Manure (h) loss
    Stoke (a) draw
    Swansea (h) win
    Arsenal (a) defeat
    Cardiff (h) win
    Liverpool (a) defeat

• beermonkey

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

the words top player and taylor all in the same sentence lol
    if he was a top player we wouldn’t try to offload him and there would be better suitors than qpr

best quote I saw on here regarding him was he has the heart of a lion brain of of a chimp, something like that

I for one will never forget when the sniper shot him when he handled the ball in the box

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Firebug

Diplomacy is fine but you must take a stand sometimes. It can’t always be grey. 😉

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM

jazzyp

Yeah he had the sort of face that would curdle cream. Think he must have just been given Pardrew’s want’s list.

• beermonkey

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

jazzyp

Ashley looked like he was asleep at one point

• Ginger

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I notice when everyone says how much money we have, they seem to calculate it wrong. Or it may just be me being stupid, one of the two.

What we will have by my understanding is:

20 from Cabaye

10 from last years profit

Roughly thirty 30 – 35 from television money. (Since we made a ten mil profit with the television money last year, we sill still need that same amount to break even this year. Thus we will only actually receive the extra 20 mill as a profit. Take into consideration that we’re also finishing around 8th as appose to 17th it’ll be around 30 – 35)

Ten mill from the almighty Wonga.

So all together about 70.

Obviously I could be badly wrong, due to running costs, attendance, agent fees, signing on fees, general wages, players wages, etc.

But it seems that no matter what way you look at it, we’ve got a canny bit of money to spend.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Hilarious headline that Ed

I was thinking Colo or MYM but saylor is championship level at best.

People get duped by his chest thumping and badge kissing (when he’s not threatening to leave with pay demands!)

Basically Saylor turns slower than a tugboat , makes poor decisions and his positional sense is shocking. No coincidence our really bad run coincided with Saylor being recalled and breaking up the Willo, MYM partnership. Another strange pardew decision.

TS on last thread

I think my frustrations lie more in the horrendous lack of consistency where the team selection, tactics and subs at Fulham were shocking, but markedly better on Saturday.

There is just no consistency with Pardew so difficult to gauge where we should realistically be.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Himanshu Dhingra

Your absolutely right of cause, with me they is no grey, it’s always black and white! 🙂

• Ginger

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Give it all to Pardew and we’ll get ten Obertans, two Tomkins and an Elliot.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the gaps in our squad will actually be filled this year. Instead of buying players in positions we don’t need.

• Ciaran

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

If Saylor is a top centre back then there may still be some hope left for me becoming a PL centre half after all.

I’d love Ed to do an in-depth subjective view as to who he thinks are the ‘top’ players at our club. The reality is that outside of Debuchy, Remy and Colo, we have very few who would be rated much higher than average.

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Rotonda heights

You forgot to mention his dancing ability, how impressed must that goalkeeper have been seeing such moves in front of him 😀

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Firebug

It’s funny I recently went on an FA safeguarding course and it did make me take a look at myself.

I was doing so well until I lost it with Wolfshead the other day which was totally unnecessary!

Maybe anger management courses should be mandatory in the geordie constitution!

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Firebug

You mean Black OR White? 😉

• Rainrix

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Wow one goal and attitudes towards cisse are now the polar opposite from “most useless player to play for nufc”. Must admit i really hope he gets back into scoring form as he’s a really good person.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I think ed puts out these controversial headlines to get us to bite and get the thread going and we do!

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Rotonda

I don’t get out players being knocked down to the level of “Championship level at best”. Where did this phrase come from?

Saylor is at the level or better of centre halves at several teams in the bottom half of the PL.

I’d rather see him leave than any of the other 3, but that doesn’t mean I think he’s useless.

• jazzyp

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Within what parameters do we think we will operate under ?? The club need to rid itself of the dead wood for a start, and we all know who they are without keep bringing there names up.
    Then if it is to be believed we are already active in bringing players in for the summer…….. Hopefully exciting times lay ahead

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Rotonda heights

Maybe if you give Pardrew a ring, he must know a few good recommendations.

Seriously though I think everyone loses it on here at some point, I taken to telling our lass I love her, and get rid of my frustration during the ensuing argument, until she realises I’m not really after anything.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Ciaran

Can you define average in terms of your last post?

• firebug666

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Himanshu Dhingra

No my life is definitely Black AND White 😀

• beermonkey

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

RH@15

name me another manager that would split up a defence that has not conceded especially when there all pretty fresh

he wont rotate players when its obvious there tired and need a game off

his team is based around his favourite players not whats best for the team

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:39 AM

HD

I’ll take that as a compliment, thank you. I don’t agree with everything and will say so at times, but if people don’t want to engage in debate I don’t see the point clogging up the blog with arguments (occasionally does happen though).

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM

People slagging off Pardew for having his favourites, yet in the summer those favourites were supposed to be the likes of Jonas, Shola, Saylor and even Ben Arfa. Many people were saying those players should not play often and they haven’t.

Pardew has to select not only the team that fits well together but also that can counteract the opposition.

Simple fact. 8th place. Job done.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

What you can see is that top teams have a goal scorer (except arsenal who are now starting to struggle).

We need to make sure next year we have a top level striker, spend the bulk of our money on the top striker then get player of the like Gomis and Hunt on a free or other lower fees as they are a dime a dozen where you need quality to finish. How many years did shearer drag us up the league with his goals where and average forward wouldn’t get them.

Shearer got plenty of goals whether part of our strongest team or with average midfielders, it’s vital.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM

TDS

I think the favourite thing was valid up until this season, I think he has dispelled that now for me.

Jonas being the main one, santon too, have both been dropped or loaned out, shola is getting less game time now we have other options and ben arfa has been sidelined along with taylor.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

TS

Don’t forget Chelsea. They have goal threats all over the place but no top class out and out striker. Well, Eto’o is excellent but he’s also getting on a bit.

The issue with us is that we don’t have enough goal threats. Imagine if you were facing us and who you would be afraid would score the goals…Remy and…er….

We need the opposition to have to worry about more goal threats as that creates space for any of our players to have chances to score.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM

TDS

True, eto and torres both have a decent goal return for the games though, both around remy really (in total goals, not sure on just league).

Like you say, if a team keeps remy quiet we struggle as gouff gets a few but not loads.

I’d like us to take a punt on lukaku, chelsea meant to be selling him for 17/18mil and surely if we can pay 9mil for cisse we can pay 18 for lukaku with our extra tv/cabaye money as at 20 we could have 5/6 good years then sell for a huge profit if he develops as expected.

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

providing lukaku wants to come and doesn’t get better offers, worth putting our name in the hat

• Rotonda heights

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

TDS

Sorry he really is. A few years back someone did a youtube compilation of Bramble’s endless cock ups which lasted over 7 mins. I’m sure saylor wouldn’t be far behind

• Himanshu Dhingra

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

4 strikers we should look at

Volland
    Ibesevic
    calhanoglu
    Lassoga

• beermonkey

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:07 AM

sage

you know if we even tried to buy lakaku we would open the bidding at around 8 mill

• Transfer Sage

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

beer

True, I don’t think we would even consider going for him….my point was just more along the lines of we could afford him if they wanted to.