The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Gives Newcastle Update – Another Injury

5:59 pm, Monday, March 24th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 61 Comments

After Sammy Ameobi returned from his knee injury last week – would you believe it – he’s picked up another injury and now faces some time on the sidelines – again.

sammy ameobi braga

Sammy Ameobi - injured again

This time Sammy has an ankle injury and with only seven weeks to go before the end of the season, he’ll not get too many games in before then.

There wasn’t any real new news on top stars Mathieu Debuchy and Loic Remy but they’ve never been available since playing for France in Paris against Holland on Wednesday March 5th – that’s almost three weeks ago – and they will not be back for at least one or two weeks – with Loic Remy expected back first.

It’s a bit rich when players play friendly International matches and return to their clubs injured – so we hope Newcastle have been compensated by the French Federation.

This is what Alan Pardew has told the Shields Gazette on the injury front:

“Sammy’s hurt his ankle,” Pardew told the Gazette. “He’s going to miss it.” “Davide Santon’s trained, but he’s been very poorly with tonsilitis.”

“So we’re building him up for Southampton on Saturday.” “I think he’ll be involved there, but not this one.”

The team to play Everton tomorrow night is likely to be the same side that started against Crystal Palace on Saturday, with maybe in-form Hatem Ben Arfa or Shola Ameobi starting up front in place of Luuk de Jong.

Although Alan Pardew may keep Luuk in the starting line-up,  hoping he’ll start to score a few goals.

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · Luuk de Jong · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference · Sammy Ameobi · Shola Ameobi

61 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:05 PM

• 2 Graeme // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Of course we can – but it will have sod all to do with Pardew.
    If Cashley decides that we can have a creative midfielder, the chances are we will get one. The main question should be WHEN?

We have waited for Ba’s replacement for over a year; the class CB, over 2 years. There are so many areas that need to be strengthened its almost frightening. Come on Fat Boy, open the piggy bank!!!

• 3 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Graeme – Mbiwa is the expensive CB and Remy is Ba replacement until summer.

• 4 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Just a few weeks ago we were praising Fay Downey for the lack of injuries we have sustained this season .

Not saying it is her fault like but maybe we jinxed it ;) .

• 5 Sazzer // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

With that said I wouldn’t be suprise if let they let S.Taylor go in the summer and then decides to muddle through until January with youngsters.

• 6 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM

We desperately need a new left sided player . I would like us to go for Marko Marin or Rivière from Monaco .

• 7 toon kk // Mar 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM

MA objective has been to save every penny he can, it’s a matter of getting those profits up. He first got a taste of more money when AC was sold.
    when the summer window opens there will be probably about 10 mil available for 3 to 4 player’s, we’ll be looking for like for like to what we have now.
    Mid table will be a good result.
    Don’t expect anything else, it’s where we will be for years to come if we’re lucky, we have far more chance of getting relegated than qualifying for a top six position until Mash sells the club.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Toon kk,
    People harp on about what a better manager could do with our squad, but a manager will never be given the tools to finish above the eighth position we’re in now, if we had of been in the mix with Villa, Swansea etc, there’s no way Cabaye would have been allowed to leave, but the only good Mashley could see in keeping him was a possible top six finish, he doesn’t want that, next season will be exactly the same, there will be a barren summer with only cheap replacements for any players being sold and the likes of Gosling and Ameobi won’t be replaced because they’re not classed a s regulars so therefore no need to replace them, the league position come January will dictate if the players we’re so desperately short of need to be bought or sold, if we’re doing ok a ‘purple’ can be sold, if we’re in a bit of trouble the players we need will be hurried ‘over the line’ and so it will continue until Mashers has all his money back.

• 9 wolfshead@toon // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM

mr t is on late kick off tonight :-)

• 10 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM

MrT should be given the captaincy when Coloccini is moved on as tiote seems to relish the responsibility.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I’m still concerned about Ashley overspending in the summer and putting us at financial risk Now, I’m talking about big money here, so this post is not for the faint of heart. I’m going to go out on a limb and predict Ashley will spend at least 500 pounds this summer! This is no joke mates. We’re looking at a massive re-structuring of the tea ladie’s room. Joe is just too cramped in there! And a new tea pot! Stay on the blog for more big news!

• 12 wolfshead@toon // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

geordie

did you see him on sat the fat bastad needs to lose 500 pounds

• 13 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM

No I was fortunate enough not to see him wolfie mate. Does he look like a happy man with his 8th place team ready to fall to bits in the summer? Possibly he’s planning to step in and show Alan how to bring players over the line once the window opens? It should be a thrilling experience for us if it happens. :)

• 14 mag // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Ashley is worth an estimated 3.3 billion pounds, so surely he could afford to splash the cash this summer.

• 15 viv // Mar 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Boring Sammy is worse than Shola.

• 16 welshgeordie9 // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Well I’m going for a 1-0 win tomorrow night with a trademark goal from Ben-Arfa

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Watch the supporters who only come on here once a week come on here tomorrow because it’s match day.

Supporters my arse

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Why am I on my own tonight it’s not fair I want to argue I mean talk

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM

G2,
    I think he’ll spend about 12/14M, but there will be players going the other way so not sure how much net spend there’ll be.

• 20 welshgeordie9 // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Jail for Ashley
    March 24, 2014

I think we need to spend much more than that, it will take more than just get forwards in never mind also splashing out on a cabaye replacement

• 21 Graeme // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Mag, it doesn’t matter how much he’s worth mate, he isnt going to spend his own money on NUFC. He isnt here to spend his money, he is here to make money, simple as that. We are simply a marketing tool for his main business venture by offering world wide advertising every time we are on TV for which he contributes nothing at all towards us being “Self Sufficient” as we can only spend what we generate – if we are lucky!!!!

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Welsh,
    I think we should add a few players every summer and at least enough to make up the five players that seem continually short of……

• 23 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Jfa
    If that is all that Ashley will put in the pot to spend this summer then I put to you sir that we are going to have another fruitless season come 2014-15.
    Remy-Strolla-Newton-Gosling-Obershocker-Marvs-gutti are all sure to be leaving this summer, Never mind the possible outgoing of Taylor-Cisse-Ldj and even Benny.Do you really think 14 mill will cover the loss of all these players ???

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Graeme,
    People say that his tightwaddery comes from the KK back lash, but it had started before KK was dismissed, the selling of Milner being the final straw.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Jazzyp,
    Don’t be so sure Obertan and Marv will be gone, they’re both on good money and probably their last decent pay day, I think they’ll both see out their contracts preventing another decent winger being signed.

• 26 toon kk // Mar 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Some seem to think Mash will spend big in the summer, he should but it’s MA we’re talking about. Jail is right 14mill will be a good spend. It’s a matter of maintaining the quality of the squad we have now.

• 27 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Jfa
    I hope your wrong mate as these players offer nothing to Nufc and the sooner they are moved on the better.
    Toon kk
    I for one pal am hoping for a positive summer in the transfer market.What do you think 14 mill will buy us…….cabella ??.Apart from Cisse we wont even have a Cf at the club, Have not signed Cab’s replacement, And we will be losing far to many players for sure

• 28 BarnoldswickMag // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Just a suggestion; do any of u think that ashley will sell the club come summer, there he will be able to take all of the tv money and avoid spending any money at all.

• 29 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM

jail

I fear ur right on obertan and that I cant imagine why clubs would want them and if they do they will have to take a big pay cut best thing we can do is offer them for free no fee just get there wages of the books

• 30 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Beermonkey
    Do as we did with Joey barton and let them walk away free by mutual consent. After all what do we seriously think we can demand for players that do not make the squad week in week out.
    If we can move Gutti on then im sure we can do the same with the likes of Obershocker and the likes !

• 31 Toon Tang // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Bit hectic on ‘ere tonight lads, lets calm it down a bit yeah

• 32 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM

jazzyp

yeah there comes a point when the best thing is just to get rid

• 33 toon kk // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Jazzyp
    14mill doesn’t get a lot in football terms but we all know how MA runs the club. How much has he spent in the last two transfer windows? We’re just a business to him.

• 34 Graeme // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

JFA @ 23. I’m not sure I would agree on the timing of his volte face from his original stated objectives of the club being self-sufficient and willing to put in £20 million a year. I think he was screwed, royally, by the previous regime, completely self-inflicted by his failure to do “Due Dilligence” on his new toy.
    The fact he suddenly had to clear off a mortgage of around £100 million, over and above what he was prepared to spend, really hurt his business accumen and dented his pride.
    That KK wouldn’t simply roll over and took him to court, aired all the dirty linnen in public, making a mockery of their statements and winning, heaped even more shame and bile upon him.
    From then on, he became a figure of mockery, if not hate, in the North East in particular and football in general, which is completely the oposite of what he was trying to achieve. I think it was a route for him to escape his “Reclusive” image by being accepted in the “Footballing World” as an eminent owner and all round jolly nice fellow.
    Consequently, we are now nothing more than his media showcase for SD and something he no longer has pride in, because it bit him and it hurt.
    I dont think he will allow the club to fail (relegation) but he has been given an escape route with the new TV deals providing an income that was not even considered plausible when he bought the club. I think he will be content to see us mid-table, self-sufficient in only using only some TV money plus player sales to keep us there.
    We could remain in limbo for a considerable period of time, until he feels he has recovered what he feels he deserves, then he will sell us for what he can get.
    Not a happy existance for the fans of the club, that is for sure.

• 35 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM

The fans that live in hope are not Deluded,But just wish the best for the club. This summer will be the be all and end all of fans loyalty to the club if the fat controller fails to deliver again as he as the last 2 windows

• 36 wynsleap // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM

The name Ameobi is fast becoming a bye-word for ‘waste of space’.
    Re Ashley’s £3.3bill. wealth, when he first bought the club he was worth a quoted £1.8bill. His baby- Sports Direct – was doing well but nowhere near as well as at current.
    Wonder where all this has come from?

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Jazzyp, beermonkey,
    Joey went for free onto 70K wages so therefore benefitted him to go, someone has to match what we’re paying them otherwise they’ll stay put, unless of course they’re very moralistic men.
    BM,
    Ashley won’t sell for another six years unless someone comes up with 300M and we’re not worth that.

• 38 jazzyp // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Jail
    But if there is no fee involved for a player then better wages can be offered. as in the case of gomis becoming a free agent this summer so determining a better wage structure for himself

• 39 santonthenewmaldini // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Its so frustrating having an owner such as Ashley if we had Carr’s scouting team with a chairman who would spend the required amount of money that we should be spending every season , not crazy money but enough for 2 or 3 players a season

We probably could be challenging for Champions League with spending less than some of the teams the last 3 seasons the top 4 has been there for the taking for a team that takes a bit of a gamble looks like Liverpool are going to be that team to break the monopoly by spending a little bit more

Yes they have more revenue than us but you cant tell me we could not have bought a few strikers and wingers in the summer just passed

• 40 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM

jail

it cant hurt are chances of getting shot of them,
    we wont we will try and ring as much as we can out the deal,

I think if they were easy to get shot off jfk would have done it he sold perch did he sell forster not sure, but if it was easy jfk would have done it

• 41 jimmysmith // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Sammy really is one for the future because of his size. He is a pretty amazing dribbler for someone so tall, and if he can retain that as well as his pace as he fills out and bulks up as Shola did, he might well be a real handful at the highest level. Sammy at 28 might be a vastly different proposition to the player we have now.

• 42 jimmysmith // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I liked James Perch, but he was nothing special at this level, other than a fairly exemplary pro. Newcastle have a bunch of players who they might have similarly moved on and I think Perch was the best of that group and on wages that wouldn’t deter a move and that’s why was shipped. There are a few others I think Newcastle might like to move on but haven’t been able to. A year down the track you’d think we are a better chance of getting moves for Guti, Marv, Obertan as well as Shola and Gosling. It makes me think we have a more realistic chance of reshaping the squad this time round.

• 43 anthc // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Sammy can go with shola for me. The odd glimmer doesn’t cut it at this level. He struggled in the championship at boro and from what ive seen not good enough imo.

• 44 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I think Ashley might like to reshape the squad to look more like himself. Get some more players on the meat pies in the summer. We’ve made a good start with Jonas and Benny but more players need to really work on their waistlines if we are to look more like Mike! Harrumph!

• 45 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Can you imagine 11 big fat bellies in black and white trying to run around the pitch? Beautiful.

• 46 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Are the lads getting enough pie breaks in training sessions? Mike should look into that. We’re a football club after all not a concentration camp! Harrumph.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM

As Official Blog Hobbit I try to address all these current concerns you have expressed to me. Will Mike overspend in the summer? Are the squad getting enough to eat? Will the new teapot seriously dent our summer window budget? Why is Mike’s left eyelid twitching again when he comes on here? All important questions and I will do my best to answer them mates!

• 48 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I just want to reassure you all that I take my Blog Hobbit duties very seriously. I respect all your opinions (even jesper’s) and I know you are all depending on me to get to the bottom of a lot of the goings on at the club. Have no fear mates. My eyes and ears are everywhere. :shock:

• 49 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM

It’s spooky being on here by myself. A lot of strange noises (creaking and bumps in the night). What was that????

• 50 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Oh, ok I can relax. It was Tsunki passing gas.

• 51 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:08 PM

blog hobbit

ur never alone u have the voices in your head

• 52 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Sorry beermonkey I can’t respond right now mate. My left hemisphere has something important to say.

• 53 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Ah. Ok I’ve got it. My left hemisphere was just saying don’t forget to give my honey badger another workout with the Mike SmallBerries mockup.

• 54 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Now harrumph! Where were we beermonkey?

• 55 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Beermonkey are you still there mate? This particular passageway looks dark and deserted. Lots of cobwebs and dust. I think I’ll try down here.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Ok now I’m really terrified. A lot of masculine moaning. I think I’ve stumbled onto one of Dekka and Mike’s late night sessions. Aaaahhhhh!!!

• 57 beermonkey // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I got no idea where u are but I am sat on the sofa

• 58 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I just can’t respect two old radgies, all oiled up and pretending to be Greco Roman wrestling. It’s just not right.

• 59 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I believe I’m in the dungeons underneath the Ashley castle beermonkey. Sshhh! They may hear us. Their moment of passion seems to have passed.

• 60 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM

By God I think I’ve found Joe Kinnear! He’s chained up down here! There’s a large whiskey placed just beyond his reach. It’s inhuman I say!

• 61 GeordieTwo // Mar 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Oh the horror. There’s an open bank vault down here. Ashley seems to have been rolling around in all this dosh before his session with Dekka. I’ve got to get out now!

previous post: Newcastle Will Find It Tough To Sign This French Target