The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Captain Refuses To Discuss Newcastle Future

7:48 pm, Thursday, March 27th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Fabricio Coloccini today has refused to talk about his Newcastle future, and said he will think about things once the season is over on Sunday 11th May, which is a little early this season because of the World Cup in Brazil, and hopefully Fabricio will make the Argentine squad.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Manchester United v Newcastle United - Old Trafford

Fab Coloccini – refused to discuss his future

Fabricio was asked by the Shields Gazette about his future today, but the 32 year-old basically refused to discuss it at this stage of the season.

This is what Coloccini told the Shields Gazette, in what is being called an exclusive:

“I think we have to think about the seven games, and then start to think about other things,” “But I have a contract here for a long time, and that is all I can say.”

“We have to improve for next season and take as many points as possible.” “I think we played better in the first half.” “We had chances, but against good teams, when you miss chances, it’s difficult.”

“It’s not just because Loic is out. The team isn’t creating too much.” “There are things the team has to improve on, and we have to think about Southampton now.”

We’re not sure whether that’s good ness or bad news that Colo doesn’t want to talk about his Newcastle future but saying  “I have a contract here for a long time, and that is all I can say” may be code for “I’m staying.”

We certainly hope so, and of course Alan Pardew had earlier said he was not worried about Colo, but he was hardly going to say anything different than that.

We didn’t have any cutting edge in attack against Everton, and that was also the case against Crystal Palace and Fulham come to think of it – although we did take one chance we had – against Crystal Palace – in the final seconds of the home game and everybody went crazy – it was great.

:D

Let’s hope we can all go crazy again on Saturday afternoon.

It’s hard to think anything will be much different at Southampton on Saturday, but Alan Pardew in his press conference today said the team just had to get better in the last third of the pitch.

We’ll see how we do on Saturday – but this is another very tough game against a good, attacking and entertaining side in Southampton, who play the game very much like Everton.

What do you think?

Note: Andrew Todd is a passionate Geordie first, and a final year student at De Montfort University second, and he’s busy working on his dissertation. His questionnaire is only for people in the UK Retail Sector, and takes only a few minutes to complete here it is.

Note: Sean Borland is a student in Newcastle and will not be at either the Man United (5 April) or Swansea (19 April) games – and he has tickets – £30 for the ManU game and £20 for the Swansea game – you can contact him at sean4eva@hotmail.co.uk or sean4eva09 on twitter.

Tags: Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 welshgeordie9 // Mar 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Guess who’s back ladies

Ha did you miss me

• 2 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Team for Saints :

—————————Elliot——————————-

–Santon———Willo———M’biwa———Haidara–

————Tiote—————————Anita————-

—Sissoko————-Marveaux——————HBA—

—————————-Cisse——————————

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Mar 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I reckon Collo is praying somebody comes in with a 5M bid as he really doesn’t want to have to buy himself out, he’s not Joey Barton, no way will Mashers let him go for free.

• 4 sparky55 // Mar 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Can’t wait to see how we get 11 new players into the club in the summer to replace the 11 that are leaving without spending more than a couple of quid…this blog will very quickly go into complete overload with all the speculation…so much so not even Scotty will be able to keep it going.

Happy days!

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Mar 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Where’s everybody tonight god it’s quiet on here

Good evening Ciaran if you are on here or should I call you boss

Anyway hoping for at least a draw the weekend

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Mar 27, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Sparky,
    I don’t think as many will be leaving as we think, anybody not in their last year will be staying, there’s no way Marv and Obertan will give up their last payday, Cisse won’t be sold cheap as won’t Santon, Collo is up in the air and I’ve got an ‘orrible feeling Shola will be given another year, dead certs to leave are Gosling, Remy, LDJ, HBA and Jonas, if Collo leaves Mbwia takes his place and Good gets promoted to fourth choice GB, I think Gomis could come in and a loan striker will be found from somewhere.

• 7 Kamikaze Koala // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM

My Team Vs Southampton

—————————Elliot——————————-

–Santon———Willo———M’biwa———Haidara–

————Tiote—————————Sissoko————-

— ————- ——————HBA—

—————————- ——————————

the blanks honestly could be filled with manikins form sports direct probably be as effective as anyone put in the blanks!

• 8 Ciaran // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:38 PM

God Welsh you are boring. Surely you understand the point I’m making? You’re deliberately trying to cause a conflict.

• 9 toonicle // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I say let him go and get someone new in for him, we’re rebuilding this summer anyways so why not. He seems to have lost what pace he had left

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM

The Neville bros and Co buying Salford hoping to make a few quid off of their beloved United.

• 11 Krul To Be Kind // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM

toonicle

I agree to a point.. but his experience/intelligence/reading of the game is usually second to none. I say give him a rattle in DM with Tiote and M’biwa at CB.

I remember him at AC playing there and he was very good, Villareal also if I memory serves me. correct

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I only said good evening how’s that going cause an argument

I

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM

toonicle,
    You should really rephrase that to you’d like to think we are rebuilding, there is absolutely no evidence to point out that things will be done any differently than the last seven years.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Ciaran,
    Bite your tongue :o

• 15 welshgeordie9 // Mar 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Jail for Ashley
    March 27, 2014

Just wait and see what happens in the summer, see who comes in and who goes

• 16 jimmysmith // Mar 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM

At 32 he may only have one quality season left in him anyway. And if he’s on a long contract a desire to go home may prove a blessing. By then we might be happy to release him, and he might be happy to go.

Personally though, I think he might have quite a few years left. He’s lean and athletic, reads the game beautifully and makes terrific choices on the ball, and that part of his game is only likely to get better. I actually somewhat dread his retirement. He has been that much better than the other three we have and I would suppose any likely replacement.

• 17 toonluvva // Mar 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM

IMO Colo has decided that his time at the Toon is over. No further discussion required on his part therefore.

Should he still be still here next season I am worried that he will become injury prone and miss a lot of matches.

• 18 sweendog // Mar 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Talk of mym to lille .. I wonder are we going for Simon kjaer

• 19 jimmysmith // Mar 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I think well take DeJong and a replacement for Remy possibly on loan and one of Grenier or Cabella or similar type. We might get a defender in cos there are question marks over the lot of them apart from Debuchey, although much will depend on who we can shift. Guti, Oba, Marv, might prove very difficult to find buyers for, and Gos, even Shola might be offered another year. If we don’t get a Remy quality goal scorer in we will likely slide back into what can easily end up a relegation season when you’re in the bottom half.

• 20 jimmysmith // Mar 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I wonder if we can’t find a buyer for Guti, and this clause he allegedly has regarding new deal is true, that he might forego it and renegotiate his deal on current terms for the final year of his contract. Surely better than a season in limbo.

previous post: This Part Of Newcastle The Best It’s Been For Years