The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Pleased With Ben Arfa

9:04 am, Friday, March 28th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 89 Comments

Alan Pardew has praised Ben Arfa for his play and application in his last two substitute appearances for the side, but the manager hasn’t yet decided whether to start him tomorrow at Southampton.

ben arga ross barkley 3-0

Ben Arfa challenges Ross Barkley on Tuesday night

Most fans want Ben Arfa to start the game tomorrow, and we had thought he could start as a withdrawn striker behind Papiss Cisse, which would mean Luuk de Jong making way, but Pardew may want to persevere with Luuk for a few games yet.

This is what the Newcastle manager has told the Shields Gazette today:

“Hatem’s had an influence,” “I’ve been pleased with his application, and the quality he’s brought on to the pitch.”

“I’ll be thinking about him, but in terms of whether he’ll start or not, I haven’t made that decision.”  “Southampton is a big game for us,”  “They’re right below us, and we want to try to get a win.

“I want to make sure we deliver the best we can. We can only be the best we can be. What we showed against Everton the other night was a discipline to our game.”

“In two thirds of the pitch we were good, but in the last third, we must improve. We must improve that against Southampton – the quality in that area.”

The problem we have tomorrow is just how Newcastle will score goals, but it seems they have at least been trying to improve that in training.

We again had chances against Everton – three in the first two minutes in fact – but we couldn’t put that ball into the back of the net.

We will have Loic Remy back for the next game at home to Manchester United in eight days time, but it shows just how short of decent strikers we are at the club.

We probably need three new strikers brought in over the summer, and we should also give Ben Arfa a new contract, because this lad is too creative to let go – and he can still be  a match winner for Newcastle.

Maybe tomorrow?

Note: Andrew Todd is a passionate Geordie first, and a final year student at De Montfort University second, and he’s busy working on his dissertation. His questionnaire is only for people in the UK Retail Sector, and takes only a few minutes to complete here it is.

Note: Sean Borland is a student in Newcastle and will not be at either the Man United (5 April) or Swansea (19 April) games – and he has tickets – £30 for the ManU game and £20 for the Swansea game – you can contact him at sean4eva@hotmail.co.uk or sean4eva09 on twitter.

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · Luuk de Jong · Newcastle News · Premier League

89 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Hmmm…You have to consider that we conceded 3 goals, so perhaps it’s not just the final third where we were lacking?

Then if you consider both our first and final third were lacking, you probably have to consider whether the middle third were offering the needed support.

Basically Alan mate, we need improvement all over the pitch. Busy Friday for you.

Probably our biggest game left this season, the forgotten teams mini league. Not meant to sound too negative, would rather this than the “excitement” of a relegation battle.

• 2 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM

As for Benny, whilst I have been critical of his efforts in the past, I do think he needs to be starting games now.

Without Cabaye providing the creativity, we need someone who can make their mark on the game. It’s him or Marv and I know who I’d rather start from the two.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM

My team against Soton:

————–Elliot————–
    Anita—Willo–Colo*–Dummett*
    —Sissoko—-Tiote—Ermmm…Coffee?
    —Benny—–Cisse—–Gouffran———

Set up here as a 4-3-3, but can easily act as a 4-5-1.

* This is who I think Pardew will pick in those positions, personally I’d be happy enough to see MBiwa and Haidara in those positions.

I can’t think who else to put in “coffees” place. Maybe M’Biwa?

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Icredible,
    Am I reading that correctly, is this guy on the same planet as us, 0-3 and we were a disciplined side poor in the final third.

• 5 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM

We’ll be ripped apart tomorrow. Strange thing is people will pay to watch us knowing we’re going to get beat. We don’t have a chance until Remy is fit.
    Poorly run club just relying on one striker capable of scoring.

• 6 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM

We will never get anywhere with Pardew!

Forget about Luuk De Jong and Cisse.

Ruud van Nistelroy would struggle under pardew.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Jail…Perhaps the club had this one down as a bigger loss before hand, so only losing 3-0 was considered disciplined?

Or perhaps it was disciplined in the sense that it keeps everyone in check and doesn’t give anyone any ideas of trying to catch Everton?

• 8 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Jail

Pardew is 100% correct, we were poor in the final 3rd, we were poor all over, but he was correct as we were poor in the final 3rd lol.

Mind on a serious note, many have said on numerous occasions that our squad is comparable to Everton’s, that is nonsense, apart from Tiote who on Tuesday could get into the Everton side, no one could, they are miles ahead of us.

• 9 Average_Contents // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Pardspew is by far and without a shadow of a doubt the most deluded individual to ever be on planet earth! Disciplined? Final third? Fcuk me! They ripped through our defence like it was non existent the egotistical poor excuse of a manager!

Beggars can’t be chooses though aye lol the sooner fatty fcuks off the sooner dikhead will go with him, the cnut must think all of us are stevie wonder in disguise or has as much respect for us as fatty

• 10 Mister Tuff // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I cannot see us getting a result against Southampton their forwards will have too much for us. So 3 -1 to them.
    I think Southampton will have a better run in than us -they’ll finish 8th with us 9th. Cannot see us catching Man U or the chasing pack catching up.
    I thought Percy was going to experiment a bit – have not seen any of that yet – why not give Armstrong a game. As Remy is clearly going to be away I would not play him again – what’s the point -we’ll just be showcasing him for somebody else. He’s done his job with his goals- so really what is the point.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Tuff…Hasn’t Armstrong been away on International duty the past couple of games?

I agree though, would be great to see Pardew experimenting ready for next season. I see no reason not to.

• 12 kimbo // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Pretty simple to solve our team selection…..drop Anita and put him on the North Shields ferry back to Amsterdam, get the tea lady to take his place as she will be faster, stronger and taller. If she is not available then put Sissoko in his place and put Ben Arfa in his place. Without pace we will get stuffed tomorrow.

• 13 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Why do people keep saying we have a quality squad?
    We have a below average squad with a handful of decent player’s, take them out and we’re shockingly poor.

• 14 Average_Contents // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Mister Tuff

I agree, he clearly doesn’t want to be here or sign in the summer so fcuk him off and take a chance on a few youngsters. We have naff all to play for so why start remy when he’s back! Another pointless pardspew exercise highlighted by the fact the bullsh!there hasn’t got a clue

And by the way if anyone is in any doubt as to my feelings of the club

Fatty out
    Bullsh!tter out

• 15 Mister Tuff // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

ibiza – yes I think you are right -Armstrong was away with England on Wednesday in the Czech Republic. Still I would give him a run out – if available.
    Cannot see de Jong making the grade, Gomis too old/no resale value, Gignac -no thanks.
    Going to be a lacklustre run in to the end of the season.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Tuff…I would definitely give him a run out.

As for Gomis and his re-sale value, I would guess that he will be seen as the perfect Shola replacement. Plus he’s free, I can imagine we will at least be “interested”.

• 17 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

toon kk

I have been saying that all season m8 but it falls on deaf ears, too many ignore that fact to try and justify their pathetic rantings towards Pardew, we have been a 4 man side all season with Debuchy, Cabaye, Tiote and Remy, with Cabaye sold and Debs and Remy injured that only leaves Tiote, now Tiote may be good, very good in fact, but he isn’t super human, but amazingly people cannot see this and insist that it is poor coaching and poor tactics, it really does amaze me, the best tactician and coach in the entire world cannot make up for a lack of ability from the players, but still they rant on, and on, and on, pathetic they are, absolutely pathetic !

• 18 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Spoof…I don’t view it quite as clear cut as that. An excellent manager can inspire average players to do extraordinary things.

Although, I would imagine the most inspirational person would struggle to keep up the momentum under Ashley. One could argue we had said momentum 2 years ago.

Whilst I don’t believe the squad is as great as some like to believe, I also accept that Pardew isn’t getting the best out of what he has.

• 19 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Ibiza
    cant see us signing gomis at 29 there is no resale value there and at 29 it will be gomis last big contract he will want 4 5 year deal and we wont do that to risky

look at the amount of injuries colo as had this season he has only played 3 times in 2014 so I cant see it

on the other hand I have no idea who the club are looking at that will the goals, it depends on how pardew wants to play his latest way of getting us to play aint working but I feel more of the same this weekend

• 20 Toon-Prodigy // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Knowing the Toon we may well pick up a point or three. The 3-0 everton result may just make these mediocre players step it up a notch against Southampton. They will also be lifted with Pardew returning, I think that’s his ban over now.

This team will always perform up and down under this ownership and squad.

Fingers crossed for an above average performance.

• 21 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

It was 2-0 last year, could have been 7 and that was an Adkins team.

Could be double figures this year.

• 22 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Mister Tuff

if we could get de Jong for £6m then I would take a chance and sign him, not for £8m though as that would be too much, I can’t deny that he has been poor, but in fairness too him he hasn’t played that many games in a strong side, Cabaye had gone and Debuchy and Remy have not played alongside him that much, without those 3 we are a poor side and I think it may be harsh to judge him when in such a poor team, I would like too see him have a pre-season and play with some decent players alongside, remember this time last year, Debuchy was a total waste of space, look at him now, de Jong has not had any service at all and when he has held the ball up there has not been any movement from his team mates who he could link up with, the fella has not had a fair chance !

• 23 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM

beermonkey…Fair points, but I can’t shake that whole he’s free aspect…sounds right up Ashleys street. It’s not like he needs a re-sale value.

Wages may well be an issue though.

• 24 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Fans buying tickets for NUFC matches is like watching a Movie you know will flop.

• 25 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Ibiza

I must disagree with you, Krul got injured against Sunderland last season and he has been poor ever since, 1 good game at Spurs, Colo is now woeful, Willo is as he has always been, someone who gets in the way and nothing better than that, but in fairness to him at times thats all you want, Santon cannot defend and Dummett, well time will tell but he has got a lot to learn, but I wouldn’t rule him out after 1 nightmare game as some have, Gouffran is a workhorse who is slightly better than Jonas, but certainly not a good player, Anita is supposed to be a defensive midfielder but can you see that in his game because I certainly can’t, and don’t dare say that he is a good passer of the ball, he isn’t but in fairness to him apart from a few on this site no one has ever claimed that Anita is a good passer, Sissoko’s first touch is poor, but like Gouffran he works hard, nothing more than that, so where is this quality, you can’t turn a lump of coal into a diamond, for me the only error which annoys me about Pardew is this insistance of playing Sissoko as a winger, play Benny and if Benny is getting caught out then we have Sissoko who should be covering for him, apart from that I don’t see how Pardew could get any more from them, as I said, a 4 man team where 2 of them have been centre mid which has allowed us to boss teams and get the best out of Remy, but that has been sold and we are a poor, poor side.

• 26 jazzyp // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Jfa
    Sorry i didnt reply this morning mate about Gomis. At the end of the day bud its all speculation and rumour’s. You know as much as i do on the truth. But hey dont worry ive just sent them cold callers round to you as i bow down to your superior know how that is Nufc

• 27 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Mister Tuff
    The Under 17′s have Albainia tonight then Italy on Monday so he won’t be available this weekend but I’d certainly have him in the squad for the remaining fixtures

• 28 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Ibiza

by the way I have never described Pardew as being an excellent manager, I just don’t view him as being a poor manager, if we were serious about challenging at the top season in and season out, would I choose Pardew, very doubtful, but for what any manager has to work with as it stands, then Pardew would top that list as he has done well under difficult circumstances.

• 29 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM

As for this interview what game was Pardew watching?!?
    We were an absolute shambles at the back and got dragged all over the shop by there lively players acting out well planned tactics
    Every time they broke our whole back 4 swarmed to the player on the ball, it was playground football

The final third? Please Alan we were sh1te all the way through the team

• 30 Sav // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Time and again when an attacking situation develops, unless its a corner or a free when Colo and Williamson inevitably trot forward (for all the good it may do) but when it is from open play, we have scarcely anyone in the box save Cisse (or Remy) and maybe Gouffran or instead Sissoko. But its far too often 2 against 5. You watch against Everton or even Palace and surely against S/ton at the weekend and see how they flood our box creating panic at every opportunity. It boils down to hard work and trusting your teammate to cover for you when you make that run – and backing yourself to hit one if it falls to you.

• 31 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Spoof…Sorry, was a bit of a sneaky inclusion of the word “excellent”, it wasn’t intentional and didn’t mean to imply you thought he was :)

My only real point was that this isn’t solely down to the fact of not having a good enough squad. It is a factor.

The margins of what could be achieved with a better manager but the same current set up is marginal in my view, except perhaps in the approach of style. Do we have a squad better than any of the teams above us? No. Is the squad better than the teams below us. Pretty much.

I would say we’re placed more or less where we should be. Not over achieving, not under achieving. Hence my point that we can’t just look at the squad and say they’re not good enough, pretty much every aspect of the club is about coasting through.

• 32 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Martinez is making sounds about needing to invest this summer as and when they qualify for Europe.

Do people still think he would have firstly taken a job under Ashley and secondly stayed in a job?

• 33 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Mind you, this quote is right up Ashleys street :)

“We’ve got money but I didn’t want to spend it in January,” Martinez told reporters.

• 34 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Armstrong is playing in a tournament in Czech Republic for England Under 17′s..
    He and Woodman played in the 1-0 win over the Hosts.
    They play Albania and Italy this week -weekend who are also in their group.

Team for Saturday:
    Elliot
    Santon, Mbiwa, Williamson, Hiadara
    Anita, Sissoko, Tiote, Goufran
    HBA and Cisse

I would drop Col – as he is not sure if he wants to stay and is looking slow. Dummett was found out against tricky quick attackers – basically slow.
    Play Hiadara and Santon as attacking full backs and have a go at counter attacking.
    HBA to play just off Cisse in a free role

Never mind – what do I know

• 35 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Charlie…4-4-2? That’s suicide, you mackem ;)

• 36 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM

beermonkey

I tend to agree with you on Gomis, I can’t see us going back for him now, there are a few end of contract players who we could go after though, Mame Diouf, Aaron Hunt and Jeremy Menez, we need a striker (more than 1) and Diouf does seem ok, Hunt a straight replacement for Cabaye and Menez is a natural right winger which we could do with as Sissoko clearly isn’t and Ben Arfa may well be moving on, they are 3 players who we could need and all are free and are young enough to keep a sell on value for a few years yet.

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM

jazzyp,
    I enjoy your posts, I hope I didn’t huff you with my cold caller dig.

• 38 mindshaft // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Martinez almost sounds like Pards so am sure he could have worked under Tubby

“Having to sell players, reduce the wage bill and keep money from other areas to make a big pot is what I’ve been aiming for over the last 10 months.”
    “We need to upgrade the training ground so money needs to be kept back for that”

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

As you say it’s speculation, but I think it’s very naïve of you to think that we would pay 9M for a player we wouldn’t pay 3M for six months later.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

MS,
    He’s too good friends with DW to have come here.

• 41 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Ibiza
    mackem – first time been called a SMB.
    Na shit or bust I would go for it!!
    I here see people go on about formations 4-4-2 4-3-3 4-5-1 etc.,
    load a shit – to rigid should be a lot of mobility in the team – players slot in to pick up cover players inter-change

Might as well get beat 4-3 going for it as a boring 1-0 nothing to loose.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I think the main difference between Ashley and Kenwright is that the latter is really up front with his intentions.

Much like some of us were led to believe at the start of our, what was it 5 year plan, under Ashley. Since then all we get is lies and misdirections. Once again, I feel I should state I don’t object to the main ideals of Ashleys regime, it’s the execution or how genuine these ideals actually are.

• 43 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Charlie…Glad I could be your first!

I hear you. I do think too much is made of formations, it’s the teams ability to adapt to the actual game and their movement / covering that is crucial. Sadly, I feel that is where we often fall short.

• 44 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

spoof

hunt for me defo
    is menz free ? if we could get him you could move benny over to the left on his natural foot
    as I can see benny sitting out and leaving for a free

• 45 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Ibiza
    Agree we are not fluid enough and our movement off the ball is poor so we tend to go sideways or backwards which Everton found easy to close down.
    Everton showed us how to pass and move and with speed and interchange positions.
    I did not think we played bad but Everton looked a very good team.

• 46 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza
    and what are Ashley’s main ideals, from what I can see it is solely for his own purposes, which is no good to you nor I, unless of course your Ashley’s secret love child, or he your’s as the case may be ???

• 47 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

If we had a decent manager that could set the team out properly and knew when to make tactical substitutions before 80 minutes have elapsed maybe we would do a lot better.

• 48 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Charlie..I wouldn’t say we were completely hopeless against Everton. There were times where we were attacking in numbers, but at the same time left ourselves woefully exposed. We hardly ever seem to get the balance right.

We will certainly need to show more urgency in out play tomorrow or we can expect a similar story imo.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Spoof…Ha ha, it’s been a while since I’ve had that sort of accusation leveled at me. Bit of a stretch from what I said, no?

What I meant was the whole living within your means principles. I applaud it. I do however question the execution of that under Ashley and believe it to be nothing other than eventual gain for himself, rather than the benefit of the club. Hence why I believe him to be different to Kenwright.

I’m pretty sure we’re on a similar side to this discussion.

• 50 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Pardew hasn’t got any idea how to win anything he never did as a player and he never has as manager, league one is his level.

• 51 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Yes, Menez is defo free, as is Sebastian Rode and Mateo Musacchio, however the problem is are we ambitious enough to get any of them, Rode and Musacchio, not a hope in hell, Menez, very doubtful, Hunt and Diouf are more likely, even Hunt would be a doubt as he will be 28 bye the time next season kicks off, but you just never no do you.

• 52 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Rode has signed with Bayern,

• 53 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Ibiza
    Should be a good game tomorrow – as playing away seems to suit our style of counter attacking.
    We seem to struggle when we have to take the game to the opposition as we have to do at home as the fans expect.

First ten minutes against Everton we were the better team and should of scored and had a good spell in the second half when Anita should of scored.

I know we got beat 3-0 nil but I quite enjoyed the game except for our abysmal defending.

• 54 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Charlie…We may need to re-evaluate the term “counter attacking”. Maybe counter defending? :)

As a neutral, it wasn’t a terrible game I’d imagine. Was pretty painful to watch the same mistakes over and over. However, I’d be lying if I said some of our “attacks” didn’t get me off my arse…even if it did always result in me collapsing back on the sofa whilst shouting abuse at the offending player.

• 55 Levi // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Guys for anyone going to the game tomorrow then go to yates before hand. I live in Southampton and they always have the best atmosphere on match days its always packed with away fans. I was speaking to the manager there the other day and they have ordered planty of Newcastle brown ale for you guys.

• 56 Himanshu Dhingra // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Ibiza

Didn’t the everton game remind you of the Spurs game that we lost 4-0.

• 57 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Seeing the likes of Vurnon anita floating around Benton in a Bentley continental and Sammy in a Range rover football has gone completely crazy these two are average at best they’ve never won out like their manager yet they live like prince’s reward for failure.

• 58 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

HD…I think I may have obliterated that one from the memory banks. Self preservation and all that.

Was that game another case of us being disciplined except in the final 3rd? :)

• 59 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza
    Like that when i’m at the game – Up and Doon, head in hands, joy pain, anger, delight frustration, expectation, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh – go through all the emotions – but I wouldn’t miss it !!!!

• 60 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Ibaza

I’m sure we are on the same side on this, as I also feel that overspending is wrong and only creates problems for the future, I’ve always thought that spending within your means is the correct way to do it, as the German’s do, but the longer Ashley is at the helm the more I see a case where we are spending less than our mean’s, this alledged debt is his trump card, however it was in the region of £65m when he took over and what he will probably do is add it to the selling price when that time finally comes, as he doesn’t appear to be making any efforts to reduce it, the opposite actually as it has increased significantly since his tenure began, so if the alledged debt is not gaining interest nor reducing and we as a club are making operating profits then why are we bringing more cash in from transfers than what goes out ?, as you say we and most are on the same side, but what can we do about it,,,,,,, diddly squat !

• 61 Levi // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I got a video of away fans at yates Southampton and this is what you can expect if you go there for pre drinks

• 62 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Charlie…It’s an instinct, deeply imbedded in all of us.

This isn’t meant to be a loaded question, more curious than anything. Are there any circumstances in which you would miss it? You hear a lot of people say they’re not going anymore due to the overall running of the club, which I appreciate is extremely difficult for a lot of locals. Just trying to get a gauge.

• 63 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Ibiza

it appears as if I have changed your name, sorry bonny lad.

• 64 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

No wonder they aren’t bothered when they’re already millionaires in their early twenties what incentives do they have.

• 65 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Ibiza you must understand it having to wait tables for a few euros off the holiday trade.

• 66 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Levi…Are you on commission? :)

Spoof…Not wanting to give credit to the cliche of “this summer we will see”, but this really is a huge summer as the margins of available funds simply cannot be in question.

Will money be put in to the squad? Will the “debt” remain the same? Or will we just get an increased bank balance? Perhaps a mixture of all 3.

As for what we can do about it? I wouldn’t say diddly squat, people do have power, but first we’d all need to put our heads together and embrace any ideas rather than the simple shooting down you often get on this here blog. The mentality of we can’t do anything just proves Ashley is winning. It’s extremely sad to see and has definitely made me have more respect to those who I viewed as somewhat radical in their thinking a short 2 years ago.

• 67 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Spaaf…No worries, I’ve been called worse!

• 68 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Charlie/Ibiza

giving up your ticket and refusing to go is very tough, this is my 1st season in years that I have not had a season ticket and it is killing me, it’s not just the 90 minutes, it’s the whole day and the banter which goes with a match, somehow it doesn’t feel normal not to be there, I still watch on my laptop but it’s not the same, I’m desperate to go back but I won’t, it’s this telling us that top 10 without a cup run is the target, all hope has gone, I have many Mackum friends who feel that they will go down, but they are still more hopeful than I, Sunderland agreed a deal for Cattermole but Poyet wanted it blocked stating that they would have a better chance of staying up with him, the deal was scrapped, with that the Mackums feel that they have an owner who will help their manager as best he can, they have some hope, would Ashley do that for our manager, no he wouldn’t which has stripped me of any hope at all, even if relegation comes their way they still have something to cling onto which is the hope that they will return and be stronger for it, what do we have to cling onto, another fluke which gets us 5th, this is the first time that I have ever felt as if there was just blackness ahead, never have I ever felt that we don’t have any hope, but I do now and I feel compelled to never support the man who has done this too me, how could I support such a man.

• 69 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Spoof…Bloody well said.

If Ashleys objective was to manage expectations of the Geordie nation, he’s well and truly surpassed that imo. Apart from the heart, I think many fans are at the point of almost not caring.

It’s apparent on the blog. Whilst easily sidetracked, this blog used to provide good debate. I just don’t think people know what to debate anymore. We know where the club is, we know where it’s going (not up or down – within reason of course).

The lack of care and passion throughout the club is soul destroying.

• 70 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Ibiza

I am one of the few on here that support Ashley up to now because I think we have needed some stability and sort the finances out.
    Since I first went 50 years ago – I have seen over 30 managers/player managers/stand in managers come and go. Spending money we don’t have.
    Pardew – doing Ok but is it time to move on
    Ashley – time this summer to loose the purse strings and buy in half a dozen decent players.

Fans around me
    Most go to every game – one next to my son hardly – but all seats are full.
    Fans around and mates I meet in the Bridge all old buggers in late 40′s and 50′s like me are quite happy but now is the time to move on.

I usually miss one game every two seasons due to taking family on ski-ing holiday. If have not tried it – brilliant Adrenalin rush.
    Will miss Man Utd game as I am in Austria will see it in sport bar in Mayrhofen

• 71 Laurent Robert 32 // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Jail, in response to your other question… Don’t get me wrong, Ashley is the ultimate problem at Newcastle and I want him out. I’ve tried to help support the groups who are active in this. However, Pardew is the manifestation of his tightness and his football is mindnumbing and is what we have to put up with each week.

There were a selection of managers available in the summer. He doesn’t want to pay them the going rate nor does he want them speaking against him. Pardew is his perfect puppet. He knows he’s very lucky to be at the club and won’t walk to give that up.

Although more ambition is needed, we have shrewdly brought in some very capable players, albeit not enough.

Pardew’s incapable management can’t handle flair. I want to see my team play with positivity, enjoyment and flair, just as I tried to do when I played football. To enjoy the game, plain and simple.

Pardew is here to stay but I don’t have to accept it, I can’t. Just as I don’t accept Ashley being here and for him to think it is ok to firstly employ the pratt but then to keep him on under the dreadful and misleading guise of stability.

Even though we’ve had awful managers before, this pairing is suffocating my enjoyment of watching is play as they continue to be there. Other managers were sacked when they were shown up.

Pardew is shown up time and time again for what he is. A dinosaur slime ball of a football manager who has no clue of how to formulate competent attacks and relies on containing football and individual skill to nick points (see Cisse and Remy’s goals of late as an example of how he gets 6 points).

• 72 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Ibiza well said at last acknowledgement that most of the over optimistic numpties on here haven’t got a clue they debate about how things may change but never do as long as Pardews in charge and we have crap like Coloccini Williamson Shola Saylor anita at the club.

• 73 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Charlie…I completely agree that the club needed a change in it’s approach. The previous regime was not sustainable, but that isn’t to say we were close to doing a Leeds or Pompey.

I think Ashley plays us, as most appreciated change was needed, helped along by these looming FFP rules, it kind of gives him free reign under the ideal of we’re working towards a better tomorrow.

I find that hard to believe given the apparent lack of care he has for the fans. I don’t expect him to chat to us, but some honesty and care from the club would go along way. Well, it would have, I feel at this point it’ll take a huge statement of intent to turn the feeling around.

Bottom line for me is I have no faith or trust in Ashley and his plans.

If you’re happy enough with Ashley, which isn’t meant as a criticism, we all have different criteria and breaking points, then fair enough. I have a little issue with those who are unhappy and constantly complain but still attend games. If people really want change they need to do their bit.

As always, easy for me to say on a blog and I don’t have the same issue of actually having to give anything up.

• 74 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Guvnor
    its not just pardew thats the problem our squad simply isn’t good enough, we have a handful of decent player’s and when a couple are injured we just can’t cope.
    Maybe a better manager could help a little but you have to accept we lack ability not just quality.
    Or are you one of those fans who think we’re capable of winning the league with our squad?

• 75 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Obertan benny dummet Gosling De Jong Jonas Elliott Marveuax Amilfatano Vuckic all over payed crap along with the manager and his backroom staff and old Carr who brings most of the problems to the club.

• 76 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Quite an interesting read. he gets a couple of things wrong as Ba said he couldn’t stand Pardew’s tactics either.

It’s funny Soto are almost in the same position as us but they are a joy to watch with their flair and passing. football. No one could ever accuse us of being a joy to watch under Pardew.

As mentioned earlier it did me good to see West ham fans booing Allardyce over his crap football and then media whore Pardew piping up and saying they used to boo him too.

Sometimes it’s more than just about the result.

• 77 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Ibiza
    I am willing to give it the first couple of months next season as I have a funny feeling- hope I am write that there will be a lot of comings and goings in the transfer window World Cup wont help.

I would find it hard to boycott matches – enjoy the afternoon and the crack to much.

Mentioning Portsmouth see they have sacked their manager in a desperate bid to save them going out of the Football League.

I’ll say it and say it again some big/biggish team are going to go arse up overspending.
    Could be the Mackems if they do not stop up as they are lost 9 million this year to many players on loan and no players with a sell on fee

• 78 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM

The way things have been allowed to stagnate under head butters management we’ll be lucky to survive relegation next season. Too many players have been allowed to stay when they aren’t contributing anything to the team.

• 79 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM

guvnor

Not sure we can put it all on Carr. Tiote and Cabaye being 2 great examples of his finds. If carr has a super tight budget it’s not giving him much room for manouvre.

I’m pretty sure Cisse, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, MYM, Haidara, Anita etc were pretty decent players before being Pardewed, with flair being a dirty word in Pardew’s eyes.

• 80 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Charlie…I don’t believe you are, but I hope you are right. I imagine the WC excuse will be utilised well by the club. Heaven forbid they would have anticipated these possible difficulties and done business earlier.

I really hope the FPP does make some impact. But seeing as clubs seem to be able to get these special sponsorship deals, I think the bigger clubs will be able to play the rules.

• 81 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Charlie

You could give pardew messi, ronaldo, and bale. He’d still play them all out of position and tell them to ” contain ” the opposition. Really hard to think of a worse manager still dining out on a perfect storm of one good season in god knows how many years.

50000 will still give their HEC in STs next season and the cycle will never get broken until Ash sees the light or sells up.

• 82 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Ibiza
    FPP won’t do nowt – bit like government – backhanders double dealing double speak and the rest of the crap.

• 83 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Toon KK

I don’t think anyone is claiming we’re good enough to win anything but in the absence of that you would at least like to see football played the right way.

Pulis, Allardyce and pardew are never going to deliver that.

We haven’t scored in 9 out of 14 games. That’s more of a defensive philosophy and negative mindset than anything else. Trouble is we don’t stop them going in at the other end either!

• 84 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Those slating Carr need to get real and understand he is working with the tightest billionaire in the world . Its like having the keys for a Veyron but only being aloud to drive in the scool zone.

For all we know players like De Jong are Carrs 5th or 6th choice whereas someone like Remy is much higher up the list.

Grenier & Cabella have car written all ovee them and they look like they could be top players, however Ashley won’t open his wallet the prick.

• 85 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM

No you’ll find old Carr has scouted some crap and Pardew feels at home coaching them as he can’t handle the top players just like Moyes they have a certain level and they can’t advance above it.

• 86 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM

LR

A dinosaur slime ball

Perfect description

• 87 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Charlie

I understand about your fears of overspending, only a fool couldn’t understand your concerns, but for me it’s like the team on the pitch, you have to get the balance right, when Ashley took over he got stung, whether that was his fault or not is immaterial but what we have had from that day is an over prudent approach, looking at us now, imo we are only 3 players away from being a relegation candidate, take Debuchy, Remy and Tiote out of that side and we could well be down, there is every chance that we could lose all 3 in the summer, Remy looks certain to be gone and I expect Debuchy to follow suit, Tiote has shown a degree of loyalty, but he will surely know that all we are doing is going round in circles, if a bigger club comes calling as they did for Cabaye, could we blame Tiote for leaving.
    Our transfer record (Tiote, Cabaye, Ba etc) is good, however have we had our purple patch as Mbiwa, Anita and Sissoko are no where near as good as those earlier signings, all good things must come to an end and if we lose the said 3 players and our ability to get top French imports on the cheap have ended then we are in serious trouble, over prudence in the last 2 windows have left us very vulnerable, Cabaye and Ba where the last really good players we signed, and they were quite a while ago.

• 88 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Spoof

are you seriously saying we lost to sunderland twice home and away, Fulham and WBA etc because they have better squads than us?

We lose because we have a manager whose systems create very few chances and if we go a goal down we’re basically knacked.

• 89 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I actually think this summer is similar to last January in that Ashley knows he needs to spend and he can’t cut corners this time if he wants to stay in the PL.

We already know that without a top striker like Remy, Ba or Cisse (in his first 13 games) and a playmaker with Cabaye’s talent we are screwed. I doubt even Ashley isnt that stupid, or is he ? .

previous post: Manchester City Join Race For On-Loan Newcastle Striker