The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew’s Growing Influence And Rapport With Mike Ashley

4:49 pm, Friday, March 28th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 146 Comments

Since Joe Kinnear got the sack in February, it seems that with Alan Pardew talking more to Mike Ashley than he used to, the manager is building  a good relationship with the Billionaire owner, and it seems they have a lot in common in the way they want Newcastle to play on the field.

mike ashley

Mike Ashley – growing rapport with Pardew?

And it’s certainly not like a Tony Pulis side or a Sam Allardyce side, that looks to defend and hold out for a 0-0 draw – well – that’s if they do well.

Instead, Mike Ashley wants to have an attacking Newcastle United side (that’s good), and the manager seems to be getting a lot of support from the owner to go out and get players who can have Newcastle playing on the front foot next season.

A little note here – they should also offer a new deal to an attacking player they already have who has huge creativity – Hatem Ben Arfa.

This is what Alan Pardew has said in the Chronicle today:

“He is very much aware. The one thing Mike likes in his teams is them to be on the front foot and trying to win the game.”

“I don’t think he likes tactics where teams set out to defend deep and look to nick something, it’s not the way he is. It’s not his style and it’s certainly not my style.”

“We have talked about that, so that bodes well.” “He knows we need some attacking options.”

It could be that the two men have more in common than they realized, and certainly Alan Pardew is very thankful to the owner for not booting him out of the club, after he embarrassed us all, and himself,  with his stupid sideline antics at Hull City.

When he does come back on the touchline – if that’s what he elects  to do rather than sitting in the Directors box and get a better view of the game –  there can be no more of that stupid nonsense, because his career at Newcastle will then be over, and we think Pardew is well aware of that.

But in a rather strange way, this may all turn out for the good of Newcastle United, because it’s looking like the dependable, hard-working, respected if withdrawn Club Secretary Lee Charnley, could be the one who starts to handle all the transfer business on Tyneside.

And if that happens we think that would be a good appointment, because essentially Alan Pardew would look to Graham Carr and his team to scout players, and then they can all discuss which are their top targets, before Lee Charnley goes after doing the actual deals, probably with the assistance of Finance Director John Irving.

The transfer team would be Alan Pardew, Lee Charnley, John Irving, John Carver and they would take financial direction from Mike Ashley – like how much is available to spend in each transfer window.

And these guys all get on well already, and have worked together over the last three years or so, so there’s a decent chance we can have a really good transfer season this summer, with a well oiled team.

If Lee Charnley is appointed to that top executive position, Alan would then handle all the football affairs at the club – including who comes in and who goes out in each transfer market.

That would seem like a good move, and then Lee Charnley would handle all the financial side of things for Mike Ashley, with the help of John Irving.

That looks like a decent structure for getting things done – and getting some top players to the club this summer – what do you think?.

Note: Andrew Todd is a passionate Geordie first, and a final year student at De Montfort University second, and he’s busy working on his dissertation. His questionnaire is only for people in the UK Retail Sector, and takes only a few minutes to complete here it is.

Note: Sean Borland is a student in Newcastle and will not be at either the Man United (5 April) or Swansea (19 April) games – and he has tickets – £30 for the ManU game and £20 for the Swansea game – you can contact him at sean4eva@hotmail.co.uk or sean4eva09 on twitter.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

146 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Ed…I love the blog and really appreciate your efforts, but come on.

“And these guys all get on well already, and have worked together over the last three years or so, so there’s a decent chance we can have a really good transfer season this summer.”

If we’re basing this on the relationship they’ve had for the past 3 years, why is there a decent chance we’ll have a good summer?

We hear about our need for players every year around this time, yet only one summer under Pardews tenure has it resulted in anything remotely positive and let’s not forget we had the AC money.

I think most expect some money to be spent this summer, due to the excessive amount the club should surely have at that stage.

“Pardews growing influence” is laughable imo.

• 2 G // Mar 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

A man who likes his teams to be on the front foot sold our only consistent midfield creativity, and failed to replace him. So do we read this as MA stupidity, or AP lie?

• 3 guvnor // Mar 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

It’s called crawling ask jail and co they are past masters.

• 4 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Mister Tuff

I was not defending Ashley as you seem to think, I know what he is and nobody wants him out more than I, but you have this one wrong m8, if Ashley was demanding attacking football he would just demand it, simple as that, since when has Ashley ever been subtle when it comes to what he wants.

• 5 Graeme // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Ibiza, if you prefered to watch flowing, attacking football as the owner of the club, would you not ensure that the manager you employ was completely aware of this from day 1 of his employment?

Would you then not make sure that your manager was given the players AND coaching staff to enable said manager to deliver what you wanted?

So, why hasn’t Pardew been given the players to deliver what the owner (and probably 98% of the fans) would like to be watching every week? I smell a pile of manure – I hope Pardew has brushed his teeth after spouting that pile of manure!!!

• 6 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

This is just another hash of a PR exercise from the club.

We clearly need attacking players this summer and I would imagine that will be the clubs focus as far as incoming players are concerned.

So, if we tie that in with Ashleys desire to see attacking football, which co-incidentally is what the fans want, Ashley can come out of it looking like he has a greater plan, one that the fans can relate to.

Bottom line is, as things stand, we’d have Cisse, Gouffran, Campbell and Armstrong as strikers next season.

• 7 AndyNUFC // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Well just to be transparent, I won’t accept the word used by guvnor @ 60 in the previous article. I have called them a ‘troll’ and ‘mackem’ in order to test their loyalty to NUFC but his only agenda is to offend people on here.

I have reported them and hope if they don’t learn for future then they are removed or voluntarily removes themselves.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Grame…Words are well too easy. At least they’re somewhat listening to what our issues are and customising the lies to fit :)

• 9 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM

What a strange way Pardew has with him. “If you take a personality out of the dressing room when you have a small team it’s going to have an effect,” And “Put on top my personality – which we all know is a little bit of a winning mentality – and I want to make sure we want to win.” A small team? A little bit of a winning mentality? It all sounds so pathetic Alan.

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Cabaye was sold, not replaced and JFK was sacked. Ignoring conspiracy theories JFK was sacked because he didn’t do his job and get the replacement in. Not Ashley’s fault and not Pardew’s.

It’s obvious we need strikers as we will not be 1 or 2 players short this summer, we will be at least 3 or 4 short. We need replacements for LDJ, Remy and Cabaye at an absolute minimum and even then, I wouldn’t count that as strengthening. If JFK had done his job, we’d have had the likes of LDJ in last summer or the likes of Grenier (or Cabaye would have been forced to stay until summer) in January.

Once we’ve got those 3 in it’s just down to a decision of what youth players can step up to the first team, which fringe players need to be moved on and who we can replace them with.

• 11 catchy in norway // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg

firstly, ED, STOP WRITING LIKE YOUR A REPORTER THAT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT NUFC

secondly on the front foot?? you are kidding right, you just slated pulis and BSA, and pardews team has worse stats for playing long ball football and shooting from distance, our squad is far superior to both of there squads and is well capable of playing decent football but more often then not , we sit and defend for 90 mins.

its a pure travesty that out of all the owners and all the managers out there , we end up with these 2. blind leading the dumb

• 12 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Possibly Alan should be managing a team of midgets? Is that what he’s getting at? And his little bit of a winning mentality means? He only likes winning a little bit? He slightly prefers winning to losing? His confidence is amazing. Not.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

“We’ve done better away from home against top teams, maybe because the set-up of the team against the better sides is more in line with the team coming on to us,” Pardew said. What does any of this mean? He doesn’t set the team up to win against the other clubs? He doesn’t know what he’s doing? Please explain Alan.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM

What do you think Ibiza, Graeme, Andy and others? Are you filled with confidence by Alan’s statements?

• 15 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Are we all ready for some really bad midget jokes? :)

• 16 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Do you think Alan would ever pay a midget under the table?

• 17 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Has Alan ever short changed a midget?

• 18 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Could Alan ever bring himself to see eye to eye with a midget?

• 19 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Feel free to beg for mercy at any point mates. :)

• 20 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Have you ever read The Midget Book of Short Stories?

• 21 Mister Tuff // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM

spoof – I’m not all all stating you were defending Mr “El Gourdo” Tubbs -just that you perhaps had an erroneous take on what he is reported to have said. No more than that.
    These folk are not used to not getting what they want.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM

TDS – could you please direct me to the source of your contention that JFK was sacked for not doing his job. I would love to read exactly why -can’t wait – please hurry.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Although as you all know by now I am a very strong supporter of Mike SmallBerries I just think some of these recent Pardew comments are not very representative of the SmallBerry Method. No, not at all. The SmallBerry method requires a more subtle approach. You don’t admit you have a small team. You don’t say you have a little bit of a winning attitude. It’s all true of course, but you just don’t say it. Harrumph.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I believe Joltin Joe actually stepped down or resigned didn’t he Mr. Tuff mate? Of course there was a knife sticking out between his shoulder blades but that was a kitchen accident I’m sure.

• 25 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Mister Tuff

I know where your coming from, but in all honesty I feel that too much is getting made about what was reported as being an Ashley view, anyway I must go, perhaps just as well as you may have noticed there are 1 or 2 of the “I must insult and offend” brigade joining, and I can’t be harassed with them, me and TDS disagreed for an age the other day, but it was civil, why can’t others just be the same, sad little morons really aren’t they, but never mind, I must do my packing as I am off to the Lakes for a few days.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM

To any vertically challenged people out there (I’m quite short myself although I never admit it) I apologize for any offense caused by my earlier puns. I just couldn’t resist based on Alan’s comment.

• 27 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Spot on Spoofy and Mr. Tufties. Gentlemen’s disagreements are completely acceptable. In fact they are the bread and butter of true bloggery. Never hesitate to voice your opinions on here lads. We appreciate it.
    Humbly Yours
    G2, OBH

• 28 Spoof // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

GTwo

I’m really short, you couldn’t lend me a few quid could ya lol

• 29 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

If Ashley really wants attacking football next season he should sack pardew asap. We’re in no danger now so the sooner the better.

Defensive negative ”containing” football is Pardew’s watchword so what’s the point giving him people like Cabella and Grenier to waste. Pardew would ruin Messi.

• 30 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Everyone understands the OBH part right? I’m not bragging or anything. Your continued support is truly amazing mates. Your comments about my comments continue to pour in (in my mind anyway). Beautiful.

• 31 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Ibiza reply to G2 earlier comment: “You are a complete twat G2. Why don’t you just leave us alone? There can be no excuses for your pathetic attempts at humour. Harrumph!”

• 32 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Spoofy beeeehaaaaave now mate! :)

• 33 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

G2 retort to imaginary Ibiza comment: “Ouch, that really hurts Ibiza mate. I’m removing your voice from me heed immediately. Jesper warned me this might happen. Harrumph!”

• 34 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

when Ashley employed pards he didn’t care what style pards played it was all about getting a yes man some1 that wont rock the boat

the last 3 games Ashley has attended and in 2 of them looked to have fallen asleep
    I am not surprised he has pulled pardew aside and told him he wants attacking football were like watching formula 1

the only problem here pardew and his arrogance he believes he does play attacking football
    if he had any sense he would have told ahsly he needs some new coaches to implement this new style
    with the right coaches it doesn’t matter what pardews background is if its how he really wants to play it could be done

• 35 Rotonda heights // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

YOU ARE NOT, NEVER HAVE BEEN OR EVER WILL BE A WINNER!!!

Why have you only got a little bit of a winning mentality?

• 36 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Well exactly lads. Now we’re getting somewhere. I’m not sure where but I’m now slightly encouraged. Not by the team but by the bloggery. Huzzah!

• 37 Mister Tuff // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

spoof – you’re not going to throw yourself into those dark waters are you -believe me it’s not worth it.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM

spoof – you made a correct observation about one or two, as I would put it “plebian f****rs”, who have descended onto the site in the last couple of weeks. I think it puts other folk off from entering any comments.

• 39 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Everyone needs an outlet for their frustrations and comments Mr. Tuff mate. Why be put off by others’ comments? We all have different points of view that should be welcome. The derogatory ones can just be ignored.

• 40 Kamikaze Koala // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Why is this monkey aloud to talk, whats next! team vs southampton: ronaldo on the RW with Shearer to cover for Remy! i blame the chronicle for publishing this

• 41 MacToon // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Cheers for the reply Jail.

Season ticket renewal time and the same bo11ocks is spouted about strengthening the squad/enjoyable attacking football when the reality is that this is the “affordable football” that we were promised.

• 42 Ketsbaia9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM

We need these players:

Defenders: Alderweireld, Sakho

Midfielders: Konoplyanka/Menez, Grenier, Cabella

Strikers: Remy, Ba, Gomis

Job done.

Kep Marveaux and Ben Arfa and sell Gosling, Shola, Dummett etc.

• 43 Ketsbaia9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Ba, Gomis and Remy would only cost us £14m.

• 44 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I fear you’re right MacToon @41. Affordable football? If spending nothing in 2 windows is how that is achieved we are in big trouble mate.

• 45 Ibizatoon // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM

G2…Well, the good news is that it’s apparent the Manly Men Mind Reading Machine works a treat. I’m just disappointed you didn’t pop in when I was thinking about senor smallberries and his fondness for tassles. The bad news however is that it appears you have offended the small folk (I’m pretty sure that’s the PC term these days…fact!). As you are well aware their €7pcm subscriptions have been keeping MM Inc afloat for quite some time now. Also without them I fear we may not be able to challenge Mike and his motley crew at this years Manly Men Man Off. A proper formal apology will be needed and some form of ban…yes, we love a good banning at nufc.

Anyway pretty sure I had something half sensible to say…

• 46 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Kets we would never keep Remy because Ashley would have to pay him a high wage and Remy obviously has ambition to win something which Ashley doesn’t. Gomis will be on a free so he will be more than welcome by Mike. Ba will probably go to the highest bidder which obviously won’t be us. Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into you plans mate.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Has anyone else noticed Mr. Tuff seems to be very grumpy these days? He mentions dark waters which sounds very ominous. Is the club depressing you Mr. Tuff mate? I always enjoy your comments and would hate to think you might stop posting. :(

• 48 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Ibiza mate have you said something to upset Mr. Tuff? I realize the error of my ways now with the small people but do you really think I deserve a banning? Surely I could just be given some harsh language and be forced to sit next to Mike at our next home game?

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM

It’s mostly people like Manx and tads that keep me from posting…but that could be described as dark waters I suppose ;)

• 50 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM

ba wont come back and if he did would he throw his toys out the pram if he is asked to go out on the left again

best we find some1 else

• 51 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Is Benny still completely out of shape? So he won’t be starting then I suppose. Can we pot one before we start sitting back and defending? It seems unlikely. We will lose the possession game early on I would think and Southampton will break us down eventually. No Krul, no Debuchy, no Remy. Weak on the flanks, and at fullback. It doesn’t sound promising.

• 52 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I can’t see Ba coming back either beermonkey mate. It will be Gomis on a free. And a nice cheap young striker from somewhere. Then we’ll make a derisory bid for Grenier and possibly Cabella as well at the end of the window with the rotor turning on the helicopter.

• 53 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM

G2

I don’t mind the odd freebie think gomis is to old and will want an 4 5 year deal as it is his last decent contract at 29 and there fore I cant see us bein in the running for him
    but there are others out there

• 54 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM

How are you today jesper mate? Did you finish your prep work for that small project?

• 55 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I hope so beermonkey mate but we’ll look like small potatoes indeed this summer with the likes of ManU going wild in the market to try and recover for next season.

• 56 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:02 PM

G2

I don’t care if we only spend £2.50p as long as we get the right players in to cover the squad so we can have a decent league campaign and a couple of decent cup runs, no more bad records broken and 2 mnths without a win
    not to much to ask is it

• 57 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yes, it’s too much to ask beermonkey. We only have a little bit of a winning mentality after all. And a small team. So…… how about little spent, no cup runs, and a slight slip down to about 14th next season? That’s nearly as good isn’t it mate?

• 58 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:11 PM

The idea of spending 2.50 this coming summer has already occurred to Ashley by the way. He likes it. He’s taking it to the board now for approval. :)

• 59 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM

GT…yep :) made the presentation today and it went very well!

How are you my Canadian Geordie? ;)

• 60 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:13 PM

tbh the way things are with the striker situation the way it is and the way we play set plays I will settle for not being relegated

unless pards changes the way we play to get goals out of cisse regular
    but what am I saying we play on the front foot attacking football I forgot cant believe I forgot that
    west ham play in black and white stripes don’t they????? I must have been watching them on motd when I fell asleep

• 61 jimmysmith // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I recognise loads of posters think we set up defensively but I don’t see it . I feel as though the whole side apart from Collocini and Willo want to get forward. You often see Anita and Tiote anchoring attacks at the base of the final third, the fullbacks overlapping and the wide midfielders attacking the byline. We have to defend as a priority, all teams sort that out first, that’s a given. Anyone would think we weren’t playing against well drilled teams desperately trying to stop us from attacking with intent and in numbers. They are. Our problem is we have about the eighth best squad and probably a manager and coaching set up of similar stature, as far as I can tell.

• 62 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I am fine Danish Dazzler. No dark ominous waters for me mate! Glad to hear the presentation went well. Close to completing a deal for a house in Burnaby. Will miss my local friends in Richmond but I hope to get back and visit often. Thumbs up my friend.

• 63 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

You’re speaking far too sensibly there beermonkey mate. At this I point think it’s an overall lack of talent available to put on the pitch. No Remy, no Debuchy, no Cabaye, Benny is out of shape?????, we’re unsure of our left backs, Krul is injured. It goes on and on. You don’t think that’s what Alan means by a small team do you? Are you listening Mike SmallBerries? Of course not.

• 64 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

3-0 to the toon tomorrow de jong hat trick

2nd goal run from the halfway line beats 3 players then goes around the keeper and slots it in to an empty net

• 65 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:21 PM

People buying season tickets are crazy until Mash shows ambition, why spend your money when he won’t? I wouldn’t have one given at the moment, I’d get fed up watching rubbish.
    I will renew mine when there’s something to cheer about.
    Everything revolves around lies and saving money at NUFC.

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM

GT…I went on goggle maps the other day just to have a look where Burnaby was and it still looks like it’s in Vancouver ;)

…I know everything is relative! Is it far?

• 67 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Rob Lee has spoken so can we please now stop this nonsense ;)

• 68 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM

You have just got to love it on here when guvnor is on the blog the guy is so funny.

• 69 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

jimmysmith

we hardly ever have our wingers and fullbacks overlapping I have lost count of the times sissoko stops and sits in the rightback spot when debuchy has gone past him
    its the same all over we rarely get players in the box so when some1 like debuchy crosses a ball in there is no1 or 1 person in the box
    at times we have done it and attacked as a unit but this is not the norm

• 70 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Burnaby is about 30 minutes by car from Vancouver Jesper mate. Just a little jaunt. Thanks for the Rob Lee link. He is pretty well stating the obvious but still good to hear. But he doesn’t mention how fat Benny looks does he? Strange days at Newcastle United. Or SNAFU in other words.

• 71 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I love this quote from Pardew about Ashley. I am not sure the rest of the world sees it the same way, but here goes:

* So in a nutshell Mike Ashley don’t like tactics where teams set out to defend deep…..and what is it we do again? ;) lol

• 72 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Are you really sure De Jong is going to score a hat trick tomorrow Welshie? I hope so, it would be a tremendous lift for him and the club.

• 73 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM

GT…Benny most either like Greggs or he just eats what Mike eats ;) lol

• 74 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Yes Pards is full of amazing quotes jesper mate. He loves to have Mike read in bed to him at night. Wonderful fairy tales about brilliant new strikers coming in. It goes on and on until Alan falls asleep.

• 75 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Can I interest anyone in some Carpark North?

Favorite number and vid is “Human” go check it out :)

• 76 Ciaran // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM

TDS

Spouting opinions as if they are iron-clad facts again? Ye big old hypocrite ;)

• 77 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM

GT…. haha :D

• 78 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM

GeordieTwo
    March 28, 2014

He needs to get off his arse and start scoring, mind you bony was slow starting for the mighty swans and look at him now

• 79 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Tell me another one Uncle Mike. Tell me the one where we get 2 fantastic midfielders, world class, and each only costing 2M pounds. I love that one Uncle Mike.

• 80 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I think we need to get to the bottom of this hypocrite thing ’cause both tads and manx seems to call me a hypocrite as well ;)

• 81 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Everyone loves a good storyteller ;) maybe that’s why Pards’ so fond of Uncle Mike?

…he keeps him intrigued maybe?

• 82 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Is everyone checking out Carpark North or what is happening?

• 83 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Carpark North are just too mod for me jesper mate. I’m an old mellow fellow. I’m still listening to Harvest Moon by Neil Young. He’s amazing and Canadian too! Try some Bruce Cockburn if you like great guitar licks. And say what? He is also Canadian! Huzzah!

• 84 GeordieTwo // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM

This site is very unstable for me again. I’m off for a bit. A house inspection to prepare for tomorrow. All the best mates.

• 85 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM

GT…for you mate ;)

• 86 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM

GT…everyone loves Harvest Moon by Neil Young ;)

• 87 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM

come on somebody argue on this blog tonight, speaking of which most arguments on here happen in the afternoon when I’m not on strange that.

guvnor you will get me in to trouble with certain people on here

Ha ha ha

• 88 MercurialStephen // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM

THIS IS MY FIRST POST,IM A LONGTIME READER,AND IM VERY GRATEFUL FOR ED’S WORK.

I am a very long time Newcastle United fan,i have seen the best and worst times.i must say though there are some things even after all these years of supporting the team I have never really quite understood very well.i just can not BELIEVE how this club and its supporters accept mediocrity year after year.it is nearly 50 years since this club has won anything,i hear the gunners talking about sacking arsene and it is only nine years since they won anything,yet here is Newcastle a massive club in terms of support and infrastructure settling for no trophies at all.i mean there comes a time when you have to question why do we support this gutless club.Make no mistake about it if this club had a winning Mentality we would have won two league titles and two fa cup’s in the mid and late 90′s.Another thing that really angers me about this club is the very long and familiar history of selling our better talent.waddle,beardsley,Gascoigne,GINOLA,
    FERDINAND,carroll,cabaye,andy cole,enrique,barton.why do we continuously support this club when all it does is stab us in the back by selling our better players and giving us absolutely no ambition of winning trophies and been successful.our manager is a absolute disgrace with his behaviour and actions,yet with his atrocious actions and even worse tactical incompetence,he still keeps his job.IT IS TIME THE MANAGER AND OWNER PACK THEIR BAGS AND F*****g LEAVE FOR GOOD,BECAUSE IF THEY DONT THIS CLUB IS GOING TO DIE.THIS CLUB DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER,WE NEED A PREMIER LEAGUE/WORLD CLASS MANAGER SUCH AS LOUIS VAN GAAL TO TAKE US FORWARD.NEWCASTLE UNITED SHOULD BE AT LEAST EXPECTED TO CHALLENGE FOR TOP FOUR EVERY SEASON,AND SHOULD REALLY BE COMPETING FOR HONOURS UNDER A PROPER OWNERSHIP AND A TACTICALLY INTELLIGENT MANAGER.

• 89 Ketsbaia9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

We must finish above Man Utd otherwise it’s a poor season. We’ll get beat 2-0 tomorrow.

• 90 Mike's Iron Curtain // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Looks like MA has got to Ed now, probably a while ago. Part of the propaganda machine along with TDS and the like. Can’t trust anybody these days.

• 91 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Ketsbaia9
    March 28, 2014

Have you been drinking, how the hell would that be a poor season when was the last time we finished above them.

• 92 Ketsbaia9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Man Utd are worser than us. We should be beating them comfortably next sat. United have got too many useless English players. The others are past it. Valencia is their best player.

• 93 Marty-Toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Not expectin much from tomorrow and not expectin much from the summer transfer market.
    If Ashley does do big things that are badly needed and replace those that left and those leaving then maybe we might have something to look forward to next season ,otherwise it’ll be miserable

• 94 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Give Pardew a hard working, no end product player in De Jong over HBA any day of the week .

• 95 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I’ll not ask if anyone thinks if we’ll win tomorrow that would be silly, I just wonder what we’ll get beat by? I can’t see us scoring, hurry bat to fitness Remy.
    who knows Pards MIGHT have a winning influence? !!!!!!! With him being back in the stadium.

• 96 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Quite a few on have had a few tonight

Newcastle are better than man utd No
    Man utd have got crap English players No
    How can they be crap within the last 11 months

De Jong over Ben arfa No

• 97 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Not expecting much tomorrow or in the summer

Why so negative tonight

I hope the newcastle players don’t look at some of comments on here because if they do no wonder they haven’t been playing that well

• 98 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Welsh
    if they played better the wouldn’t be as many negatives.

• 99 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Are we in top 10 yes
    Are we fighting relegation no

What’s to moan about

The only time I will moan about this club is next season if we don’t bring in players until then I will support this club in the last few games

• 100 wolfshead@toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM

welsh

you never have a go at your best mate mag and he is the neg cheerleader lol

• 101 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Welsh
    you’re right there’s no relegation and we’re in the top ten which with our current squad is a great result but selling Cabaye and no replacement was a bad start to our recent form and relying on one loan signing to win us games is no way to run a club, we’d be in the bottom three without him. You maybe pleased with our current form but most aren’t.

• 102 funguswatty // Mar 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM

when Ashley appointed lambiass, as director did he not say all profits would go back in to the club for players ,as we now in profit he might just start and spend (i can dream)

• 103 wolfshead@toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:00 PM

toon

best if we never see remy again maybe then it will finally dawn on ashley that goals win matches for which you need top strikers which cost proper money

• 104 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM

welsh

on man u do u think moyes is the man to take them back to the top

who is to blame for there demise this season

tough shoes to fill

• 105 Krul To Be Kind // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:04 PM

G2

I just seen the midget reference up top and got me thinking…

Our current lack of investment in Graham Carr’s scouting has him as frustrated as a midget with a yo-yo

• 106 wolfshead@toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM

@104

maybe he is like the rest of the staff just going through the motions picking up his salary and looking forward to his summer hols

• 107 Krul To Be Kind // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Anyone else remember the game back at theirs when we had that classic blue strip… and Le Tissier was sublime that evening with 2 marvellous goals. I think he left Venison on his hoop with a wee dink over his head before dropping the shoulder to shake of another defender before putting it into the back of the net, also the free kick that he flicked up to catch on the volley.

That boy was a class act in his day. Tomorrow the saints look depleted if the fitness tests don’t pull through.

I smell a chance here folks!!!

• 108 Krul To Be Kind // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:18 PM

• 109 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

F@cking get in, Mike Ashley want’s Newcastle to play attacking football do you’s know what this means?

BYE BYE PARDEW :)

• 110 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Pardew can’t play attacking football because he doesn’t know how to play attacking football

• 111 Krul To Be Kind // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:23 PM

no 5 I had an idea it was from dead ball but maybe not…
    some goal all the same

• 112 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM

black and white

that still wont get pards the sack

don’t get ur hopes up

would people change there opinion of pards if we won say the league cup????????????????

• 113 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM

beermonkey

I know mate but hope is all that’s left with us fans, and if Pardew won the league or even the FA cup I would still want him gone.

when we came 5th I wanted Pardew gone

• 114 Online Guy // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Geordie Two ..Neil young is someone I’v met and spoke with many times .

I also speak with Nils and Stephen …and a few others you will know of .

Even Nils tells me he thinks Neil is Magic .. we agree a lot on the phone about this and that ..great man, great Craic.

Nils Gave me a rough cut of his album: Nils sing’s Neil, :..before it was released ..We both had a spooky story to tell when it was being put together concerning Neil’s Fav Producer . I’m right into all that music ..in many ways .

If we ever get talking about Neil, Nils usually Tries and Mimic’s
    Neil’s Voice when telling the story ..lmao ..
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    I’m away for a pint but I will leave you with this thought

Ashley had the perfect Manager, if there was truth in Pardew’s statement about Ashley liking his teams to play on the front foot and attack……

…….Ashley would not back that perfect manager, who did play on the front foot, and attack at all times possible.

He did not back him, then constructively sacked him .

Kevin Keegan…

• 115 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM

black and white

agreed I didn’t want him here never thought he was the person for us nothing has changed and it wont even if we win a trophy

although I am sure a lot wold change there mind

• 116 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM

if MA is wanting attacking football back at Newcastle ( the Entertainers :) ) Pardew needs to go ASAP.

Pardew is am defensive coach ( which he is terrible at ) he has no tactical knowledge on how to attack

• 117 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM

beermonkey

most probably mate, alot of Pardew lovers still wanted him here when we finished 16th and still want him here now to this date, which by my standards they are stupid and pathetic

• 118 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Although I know we could do better than Pardew, he isn’t totally to blame there has been too many games where we just haven’t given 100% or with injuries and no Cabaye we’re simply not good enough.

• 119 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM

toon kk

we are good enough though that’s the thing, Pardew has used the same style ( his style ) for 3 seasons and the only thing he has changed in them 3 seasons and that’s passes the ball often to each other.

we have an attacking team led by a defensive Manager this won’t work at all

• 120 Black and White with an army lol // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:49 PM

if MA want’s to change Newcastle into an attacking team Pardew must go in fact he must be the first one to go followed by the other coaches and then the fringe players

• 121 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM

WELSH LEEK

• 122 Marty-Toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Negativity is bred by negative leadership.
    When fans are let down time and time again they know it’s better to not expect anything and maybe be pleasantly surprised rather than expect things to happen as in the last few windows and nothing happens apart from making the team weaker.

• 123 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM

BW

the problem is he aint goin any were
    and really nor are we but that’s a manager owner problem,

but there are so many problems at the club the only person that can sort them is the owner and he seems to be happy

• 124 Marty-Toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

@Welsh
    Fancy you to be talking about others being negative!
    That’s just real fine that is.
    You’re the queen of negativity

• 125 Marty-Toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM

The others on here including myself are the realists but like to dream

• 126 toon kk // Mar 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

B and W
    I agree with you to a certain extent but we badly need strengthening in all areas imo, especially relying on one loan signing to win us games, we’re so weak up front.
    I also think we badly lack pace.

• 127 Marty-Toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Toon KK
    Agree with you there,need a lot of strengthening

• 128 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Can someone explain explain to me how I’m the king of negativity, I mean do I moan about pardew, Ashley, the way we play, tactics, formation, we signed this player, we didn’t sign this player,

I think I’ve hit a nerve with some people

Oh well shit happens

• 129 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Welsh leek

Very good

• 130 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Personally I think we’ll probably win tomorrow considering how inconsistently unpredictable we are, having the silver/brown tongued lothario back in the stadium and not having Mashers there might give the players a boost.
    Btw,
    Isn’t Lee Charnley the tw@t who said we don’t want to win a cup.

• 131 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Help Ciaran I’m getting insulted here

Oh wait that’s fine with you but if it’s the other way round

• 132 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM

marty

I think we have the basis of a pretty good squad
    while I think we could stand to lose a fair few we don’t have to replace them all
    at the moment we have strikers and box to box mid out on the wings what we need is some specialist players ie wingers back up right back I am not saying goofy and sissoko have done a bad job they aint but its not there strongest position players like debuchy and tiote never get moved what they do they do well
    players if managed right can play 60 games a year no trouble or drop in form but key word is managed right
    we flog our players till they break

a few key specialist signings and there is plenty of games to go round and most players in the natural position
    and every1 is happy

• 133 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

@ Welsh

I’m just winding you up man, harmless fun ;) .

• 134 welshgeordie9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:26 PM

You shouldn’t call lee charnley that, that’s insulting

Tut tut tut

• 135 Jail for Ashley // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

beermonkey,
    I almost believed in the model when Cisse was signed, but it has been continually proved there is no model, it’s just let’s see how we get on window to window, if there had of been some great plan to arrive at eighth in 2014, then seventh and so on then maybe we could have all accepted it, but the fact it’s so blatantly obvious the plan isn’t actually a forward plan, it’s based on our league position each window, do not expect a change of direction this summer you’ll be sadly disappointed.

• 136 Marty-Toon // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Beer monkey
    Our squad I agree isn’t too bad,the problem lies in the thinness of it.
    After Sissoko Gouffran Tiote Anita and Benny we go to Obertan Sammy and Gosling.
    You say we have strikers but we really only own Cisse and Gouffran who gets played on the wing.
    We’re in bad need of replacing Cabaye and haven’t had enough service from a decent winger in years.
    Our defence was best with Mbiwa and Willo when Collo was out but again FB position has been weak looking.
    Realistically we need the players on the bench to be of quality that they are pushing those getting a start to their best ability.
    We could have twenty corners in a game and we never look like scoring.
    The teams above us have all scored many goals from dead ball situations,we’re for whatever reason not even close to that level.

• 137 beermonkey // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

jail

I don’t think there is a plan or a model we seem to prefer to buy players that can cover multiple positions
    we have plenty and what we need now is specialists
    it could also aid the team as we don’t need so many first team players if we blend them with the muti positional players we already have

this could help bring the old wages down and that has to make Ashley happy

• 138 jimmysmith // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM

That Rob Lee article is interesting. He’s definitely right about Benny not being as good as Ginola, in my opinion. Ginola was my favorite player and then it became Shearer. Shearer was a banker, and even when not scoring did a wonderful job of leading the line. Ginola on the other hand pretty much a stunning match winner or nothing at all while at Newcastle, and a player who the really big clubs and France snubbed throughout his career. Benny plays we win some games in style largely due to him and lose and draw some more also largely due to his lack of overall contribution. I think if we had built the team around him we’d still be where we are or slightly worse off. What’s the point, and isn’t that why Pardew is looking for more teamwork and defensive responsibility from him. More points. The only real argument I can see after 3 years of this is while he’s our player, we might as well play him. Doesn’t seem good enough really.

• 139 Ketsbaia9 // Mar 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

United are useless. We beat them fair and square at old trafford. We are much better.

• 140 jimmysmith // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I expect the club to put the money back in because there hardly seems any rational reason for Ashley to take it out, but I don’t see us changing our transfer policy so much. I think the money will go on developing the academy, scouting network and bootroom.

• 141 Schwefelberg // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Ha Ha Ibiza before I saw your post I thought the same– I like Ed and his Blog but tonight he visited the Place like Fairyland. Sadly we cannot escape this wicked Witch.

• 142 MercurialStephen // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

THIS IS MY FIRST POST,IM A LONGTIME READER,AND IM VERY GRATEFUL FOR ED’S WORK.

I am a very long time Newcastle United fan,i have seen the best and worst times.i must say though there are some things even after all these years of supporting the team I have never really quite understood very well.i just can not BELIEVE how this club and its supporters accept mediocrity year after year.it is nearly 50 years since this club has won anything,i hear the gunners talking about sacking arsene and it is only nine years since they won anything,yet here is Newcastle a massive club in terms of support and infrastructure settling for no trophies at all.i mean there comes a time when you have to question why do we support this gutless club.Make no mistake about it if this club had a winning Mentality we would have won two league titles and two fa cup’s in the mid and late 90?s.Another thing that really angers me about this club is the very long and familiar history of selling our better talent.waddle,beardsley,Gascoigne,GINOLA,

• 143 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

@ MercurialStephen

Great first post m8, couldn’t agree more .

• 144 MercurialStephen // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

@BIG PAPA

• 145 Schwefelberg // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Stephen you are right. Only at Newcastle could we have a manager who is not allowed to be there at KO. Beatings at the training Ground. Nasty Sponsors who love the debt Slaves. It’s strange that when Pardew is not there Ashley decided to be at the game.

• 146 MercurialStephen // Mar 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

THE REBEL MERCURIAL STEPHEN,HERE TO RAGE AGAINST THE TOON MACHINE.I WOULD RATHER HAVE A SIXTY YEAR OLD DAVID McCREERY IN THAT MIDFIELD,THAN THAT PATHETIC SUBMISSIVE MIDFIELD THAT LET BARKLEY RUN RIOT THE OTHER NIGHT.

previous post: Newcastle Line Up A Number Of Strikers For The Summer