Pardew’s Growing Influence And Rapport With Mike Ashley

Since Joe Kinnear got the sack in February, it seems that with Alan Pardew talking more to Mike Ashley than he used to, the manager is building  a good relationship with the Billionaire owner, and it seems they have a lot in common in the way they want Newcastle to play on the field.

mike ashley

Mike Ashley – growing rapport with Pardew?

And it’s certainly not like a Tony Pulis side or a Sam Allardyce side, that looks to defend and hold out for a 0-0 draw – well – that’s if they do well.

🙁

Instead, Mike Ashley wants to have an attacking Newcastle United side (that’s good), and the manager seems to be getting a lot of support from the owner to go out and get players who can have Newcastle playing on the front foot next season.

A little note here – they should also offer a new deal to an attacking player they already have who has huge creativity – Hatem Ben Arfa.

This is what Alan Pardew has said in the Chronicle today:

“He is very much aware. The one thing Mike likes in his teams is them to be on the front foot and trying to win the game.”

“I don’t think he likes tactics where teams set out to defend deep and look to nick something, it’s not the way he is. It’s not his style and it’s certainly not my style.”

“We have talked about that, so that bodes well.” “He knows we need some attacking options.”

It could be that the two men have more in common than they realized, and certainly Alan Pardew is very thankful to the owner for not booting him out of the club, after he embarrassed us all, and himself,  with his stupid sideline antics at Hull City.

When he does come back on the touchline – if that’s what he elects  to do rather than sitting in the Directors box and get a better view of the game –  there can be no more of that stupid nonsense, because his career at Newcastle will then be over, and we think Pardew is well aware of that.

But in a rather strange way, this may all turn out for the good of Newcastle United, because it’s looking like the dependable, hard-working, respected if withdrawn Club Secretary Lee Charnley, could be the one who starts to handle all the transfer business on Tyneside.

And if that happens we think that would be a good appointment, because essentially Alan Pardew would look to Graham Carr and his team to scout players, and then they can all discuss which are their top targets, before Lee Charnley goes after doing the actual deals, probably with the assistance of Finance Director John Irving.

The transfer team would be Alan Pardew, Lee Charnley, John Irving, John Carver and they would take financial direction from Mike Ashley – like how much is available to spend in each transfer window.

And these guys all get on well already, and have worked together over the last three years or so, so there’s a decent chance we can have a really good transfer season this summer, with a well oiled team.

If Lee Charnley is appointed to that top executive position, Alan would then handle all the football affairs at the club – including who comes in and who goes out in each transfer market.

That would seem like a good move, and then Lee Charnley would handle all the financial side of things for Mike Ashley, with the help of John Irving.

That looks like a decent structure for getting things done – and getting some top players to the club this summer – what do you think?.

Note: Andrew Todd is a passionate Geordie first, and a final year student at De Montfort University second, and he’s busy working on his dissertation. His questionnaire is only for people in the UK Retail Sector, and takes only a few minutes to complete here it is.

Note: Sean Borland is a student in Newcastle and will not be at either the Man United (5 April) or Swansea (19 April) games – and he has tickets – £30 for the ManU game and £20 for the Swansea game – you can contact him at sean4eva@hotmail.co.uk or sean4eva09 on twitter.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Ed…I love the blog and really appreciate your efforts, but come on.

“And these guys all get on well already, and have worked together over the last three years or so, so there’s a decent chance we can have a really good transfer season this summer.”

If we’re basing this on the relationship they’ve had for the past 3 years, why is there a decent chance we’ll have a good summer?

We hear about our need for players every year around this time, yet only one summer under Pardews tenure has it resulted in anything remotely positive and let’s not forget we had the AC money.

I think most expect some money to be spent this summer, due to the excessive amount the club should surely have at that stage.

“Pardews growing influence” is laughable imo.

• G

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

A man who likes his teams to be on the front foot sold our only consistent midfield creativity, and failed to replace him. So do we read this as MA stupidity, or AP lie?

• guvnor

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM

It’s called crawling ask jail and co they are past masters.

• Spoof

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Mister Tuff

I was not defending Ashley as you seem to think, I know what he is and nobody wants him out more than I, but you have this one wrong m8, if Ashley was demanding attacking football he would just demand it, simple as that, since when has Ashley ever been subtle when it comes to what he wants.

• Graeme

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Ibiza, if you prefered to watch flowing, attacking football as the owner of the club, would you not ensure that the manager you employ was completely aware of this from day 1 of his employment?

Would you then not make sure that your manager was given the players AND coaching staff to enable said manager to deliver what you wanted?

So, why hasn’t Pardew been given the players to deliver what the owner (and probably 98% of the fans) would like to be watching every week? I smell a pile of manure – I hope Pardew has brushed his teeth after spouting that pile of manure!!!

• Ibizatoon

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

This is just another hash of a PR exercise from the club.

We clearly need attacking players this summer and I would imagine that will be the clubs focus as far as incoming players are concerned.

So, if we tie that in with Ashleys desire to see attacking football, which co-incidentally is what the fans want, Ashley can come out of it looking like he has a greater plan, one that the fans can relate to.

Bottom line is, as things stand, we’d have Cisse, Gouffran, Campbell and Armstrong as strikers next season.

• AndyNUFC

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Well just to be transparent, I won’t accept the word used by guvnor @ 60 in the previous article. I have called them a ‘troll’ and ‘mackem’ in order to test their loyalty to NUFC but his only agenda is to offend people on here.

I have reported them and hope if they don’t learn for future then they are removed or voluntarily removes themselves.

• Ibizatoon

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Grame…Words are well too easy. At least they’re somewhat listening to what our issues are and customising the lies to fit 🙂

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM

What a strange way Pardew has with him. “If you take a personality out of the dressing room when you have a small team it’s going to have an effect,” And “Put on top my personality – which we all know is a little bit of a winning mentality – and I want to make sure we want to win.” A small team? A little bit of a winning mentality? It all sounds so pathetic Alan.

• ToonDarnSarf

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Cabaye was sold, not replaced and JFK was sacked. Ignoring conspiracy theories JFK was sacked because he didn’t do his job and get the replacement in. Not Ashley’s fault and not Pardew’s.

It’s obvious we need strikers as we will not be 1 or 2 players short this summer, we will be at least 3 or 4 short. We need replacements for LDJ, Remy and Cabaye at an absolute minimum and even then, I wouldn’t count that as strengthening. If JFK had done his job, we’d have had the likes of LDJ in last summer or the likes of Grenier (or Cabaye would have been forced to stay until summer) in January.

Once we’ve got those 3 in it’s just down to a decision of what youth players can step up to the first team, which fringe players need to be moved on and who we can replace them with.

• catchy in norway

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg

firstly, ED, STOP WRITING LIKE YOUR A REPORTER THAT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT NUFC

secondly on the front foot?? you are kidding right, you just slated pulis and BSA, and pardews team has worse stats for playing long ball football and shooting from distance, our squad is far superior to both of there squads and is well capable of playing decent football but more often then not , we sit and defend for 90 mins.

its a pure travesty that out of all the owners and all the managers out there , we end up with these 2. blind leading the dumb

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Possibly Alan should be managing a team of midgets? Is that what he’s getting at? And his little bit of a winning mentality means? He only likes winning a little bit? He slightly prefers winning to losing? His confidence is amazing. Not.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

“We’ve done better away from home against top teams, maybe because the set-up of the team against the better sides is more in line with the team coming on to us,” Pardew said. What does any of this mean? He doesn’t set the team up to win against the other clubs? He doesn’t know what he’s doing? Please explain Alan.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM

What do you think Ibiza, Graeme, Andy and others? Are you filled with confidence by Alan’s statements?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Are we all ready for some really bad midget jokes? 🙂

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Do you think Alan would ever pay a midget under the table?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Has Alan ever short changed a midget?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Could Alan ever bring himself to see eye to eye with a midget?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Feel free to beg for mercy at any point mates. 🙂

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Have you ever read The Midget Book of Short Stories?

• Mister Tuff

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM

spoof – I’m not all all stating you were defending Mr “El Gourdo” Tubbs -just that you perhaps had an erroneous take on what he is reported to have said. No more than that.
    These folk are not used to not getting what they want.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM

TDS – could you please direct me to the source of your contention that JFK was sacked for not doing his job. I would love to read exactly why -can’t wait – please hurry.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Although as you all know by now I am a very strong supporter of Mike SmallBerries I just think some of these recent Pardew comments are not very representative of the SmallBerry Method. No, not at all. The SmallBerry method requires a more subtle approach. You don’t admit you have a small team. You don’t say you have a little bit of a winning attitude. It’s all true of course, but you just don’t say it. Harrumph.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I believe Joltin Joe actually stepped down or resigned didn’t he Mr. Tuff mate? Of course there was a knife sticking out between his shoulder blades but that was a kitchen accident I’m sure.

• Spoof

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Mister Tuff

I know where your coming from, but in all honesty I feel that too much is getting made about what was reported as being an Ashley view, anyway I must go, perhaps just as well as you may have noticed there are 1 or 2 of the “I must insult and offend” brigade joining, and I can’t be harassed with them, me and TDS disagreed for an age the other day, but it was civil, why can’t others just be the same, sad little morons really aren’t they, but never mind, I must do my packing as I am off to the Lakes for a few days.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM

To any vertically challenged people out there (I’m quite short myself although I never admit it) I apologize for any offense caused by my earlier puns. I just couldn’t resist based on Alan’s comment.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Spot on Spoofy and Mr. Tufties. Gentlemen’s disagreements are completely acceptable. In fact they are the bread and butter of true bloggery. Never hesitate to voice your opinions on here lads. We appreciate it.
    Humbly Yours
    G2, OBH

• Spoof

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

GTwo

I’m really short, you couldn’t lend me a few quid could ya lol

• Rotonda heights

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

If Ashley really wants attacking football next season he should sack pardew asap. We’re in no danger now so the sooner the better.

Defensive negative ”containing” football is Pardew’s watchword so what’s the point giving him people like Cabella and Grenier to waste. Pardew would ruin Messi.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Everyone understands the OBH part right? I’m not bragging or anything. Your continued support is truly amazing mates. Your comments about my comments continue to pour in (in my mind anyway). Beautiful.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Ibiza reply to G2 earlier comment: “You are a complete twat G2. Why don’t you just leave us alone? There can be no excuses for your pathetic attempts at humour. Harrumph!”

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Spoofy beeeehaaaaave now mate! 🙂

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM

G2 retort to imaginary Ibiza comment: “Ouch, that really hurts Ibiza mate. I’m removing your voice from me heed immediately. Jesper warned me this might happen. Harrumph!”

• beermonkey

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

when Ashley employed pards he didn’t care what style pards played it was all about getting a yes man some1 that wont rock the boat

the last 3 games Ashley has attended and in 2 of them looked to have fallen asleep
    I am not surprised he has pulled pardew aside and told him he wants attacking football were like watching formula 1

the only problem here pardew and his arrogance he believes he does play attacking football
    if he had any sense he would have told ahsly he needs some new coaches to implement this new style
    with the right coaches it doesn’t matter what pardews background is if its how he really wants to play it could be done

• Rotonda heights

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

YOU ARE NOT, NEVER HAVE BEEN OR EVER WILL BE A WINNER!!!

Why have you only got a little bit of a winning mentality?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Well exactly lads. Now we’re getting somewhere. I’m not sure where but I’m now slightly encouraged. Not by the team but by the bloggery. Huzzah!

• Mister Tuff

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM

spoof – you’re not going to throw yourself into those dark waters are you -believe me it’s not worth it.

• Mister Tuff

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM

spoof – you made a correct observation about one or two, as I would put it “plebian f****rs”, who have descended onto the site in the last couple of weeks. I think it puts other folk off from entering any comments.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Everyone needs an outlet for their frustrations and comments Mr. Tuff mate. Why be put off by others’ comments? We all have different points of view that should be welcome. The derogatory ones can just be ignored.

• Kamikaze Koala

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Why is this monkey aloud to talk, whats next! team vs southampton: ronaldo on the RW with Shearer to cover for Remy! i blame the chronicle for publishing this