Newcastle Youngsters Help England Win Again

The England U17 side got their second 1-0 win in as many days, as they beat Albania 1-0 in the Czech Republic last night, after beating the host country 1-0 on Wednesday night.

Soccer - International Friendly - England U17s v Italy U17s - Pirelli Stadium

Adam Armstrong – in England U17 colors

Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman had saved England in the first half against the Czech Republic on Wednesday night, when they also won by a single goal.

So Freddie now has two clean sheets and the final match of the group is on Monday against Italy.

Chelsea’s Isaiah Brown hit the winning goal after 50 minutes, but Adam Armstrong also hit the cross-bar for England, before being replaced by Manchester United’s Demetri Mitchell after 71 minutes.

Freddie Woodman again played the full 90 minutes for England.

This is the European U17 Championship Elite round, and the winners of the group go through to the finals, and with the Czech Republic beating Italy by 2-1 last night, after being 1-0 down after 77 minutes, England need only draw in their final game against Italy to win the group.

Malta will be the host of the UEFA European Under-17 Championship from May 9th to May 21st, and the host country will be joined by the seven elite round group winners – and hopefully one of them will be England.

Note: People in the Retail Sector needed – Andrew Todd is a final year student at De Montfort University, and he’s working on his dissertation. His questionnaire is only for people in the UK Retail Sector, and takes only a few minutes to complete – and he’s short of completed questionnaires so see if you can help –  here it is.

• Ancientcoptic

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM

^Nicely working HD link for the Man Utd/Villa game.

• Ciaran

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Torq from previous thread

I spend very little time on this blog as it happens, and I do have my own blog, and now I won’t following another club because this is the club I love, just so happens I don’t like too many things about it.

Also, am I to take advice from someone who calls themselves ‘sportsdirect’?

I think you’ll find that talking about supporter’s groups is an extension of the football club, therefore is still talking about football, so that wouldn’t be the pot calling the kettle black.

Also, why does my age continually get dragged into things? Age is a crude yardstick for maturity as amply demonstrated by some on this blog.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Is he really any good or just good by Newcastle standards?

Reading the last thread, isn’t main thing that people do what works for them instead of abiding to what might work for someone else?

For instance I have said before that I have no prob separating the owner or manager from the Newcastle I support – that didn’t go down well with a few loony toons on here, but should that really matter?

• Ibizatoon

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Is it time for a blog group hug? No?

Self hug it is then.

• Ciaran

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Jesper

By all accounts he is a talented lad, but so too was Adam Campbell at that age and he has yet to make any sort of impact in Scotland. Remains to be seen really

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Glad to see there getting a lot of game time and experience
    Having canceled NUFC tv don’t see many highlights is Woodman looking a better prospect than Alnwick?

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Ibiza
    I can feel the love already!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Ruddy…I don’t get to see the youngsters so I never really know how good they are.

…just that in the past they seem to be overhyped 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Tads…I am not surprised…this is one magical hug. Bet you’re all well disappointed not to be involved.

• Ciaran

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Jesper

I think in general we do tend to over hype our younger players so I’m not passing any judgement on Armstrong until he comes through to senior level consistently.

• Dannyo

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM

@toonarmydownsout
    Woodman is our future nr 1. No doubt in my mind. He’s very highly rated at the club, he debuted for U21s at 15 years of age.
    Best keeper prospect the club has had in a while.
    Top attitude and a top player. He’ll go far.

• Dannyo

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM

@toonarmydownsouth
    Forgot to mention, Harper also believes he’ll be NUFC’s nr 1 in a few years time.

• Mike's Iron Curtain

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

😆

Everyone pinning hopes on this malnourished, deformed 17 yer-old. How far we’ve fallen.

• toonarmydownsouth

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Dannyo
    Cheers mate, like I said don’t get to see them much
    I watched the U17 highlights and he had a very decent game and his interview seemed very grounded so hopefully he’ll keep his head down and keep up the hardwork
    Doesn’t bode well for Alnwick mind!

• Ancientcoptic

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:00 PM

4-2-3-1): Elliot; Yanga-Mbiwa, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Haïdara; Anita, Tioté; Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gouffran; Cissé.

Yay, no De Jong!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Anyone watching Man Utd?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Shouldn’t Gouffran be rested?