The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle After Top Young French Striker

7:56 pm, Sunday, March 30th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 63 Comments

There’s news today that 22 year-old striker Alexandre Lacazette, who plays for his home town club Lyon as a striker, has just turned down an offer from Everton.

U20 World Cup Soccer France Mali

Alexandre Lacazette – top young French International forward

This is what he is quoted in the French magazine  Telesport as saying:

“Everton? They wanted me but I did not want to leave.” “For now I am very happy here, and there is no reason for me to leave.” “I didn’t want to move.”

There’s some speculation that the 22 year-old is waiting in case an offer from either Liverpool or Newcastle now comes  along, and  he has said he was approached by those three clubs –  Everton, Liverpool and Newcastle – in January, so we have to hope he is waiting for the Magpies to come calling.

The youngster has a great pedigree, and he has played for France at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 levels (a straight flush), and in total he has 58 French Youth caps at the various levels and 20 goals.

And in 2010 at the age of 19, Lacazette scored the winning goal in the final of the U19 European Championship against Spain, and his goal came after 85 minutes to give France a 2-1 win, after Spain were leading 1-0 at the break.

He also has two caps for the full French side.

Lacazette joined his home town club Lyon in 2003,  and he made his debut in May of 2010 in a league match against Auxerre, a few days before the right footed player turned 19.

He has now played 129 times for Lyon with 34 goals and 28 assists, and he’s been in some sparkling form this season, and he’s played 28 times with 13 goals and 5 assists for his club – so here is somebody who can score the goals.

And if Newcastle can get this lad in over the summer, he will only improve at Newcastle.

And there is the recent case of Yohan Cabaye – who joined Newcastle in June of 2011 and hadn’t a full cap for France when he joined and was on the fringes of the squad,  but when he left Newcastle in January he had 26 caps and had become one of France’s top players.

That’s a case that Newcastle can use to persuade youngsters to come to Newcastle, and the advantage we would have over a side like Liverpool is there is a better chance he would get first team games on Tyneside than at Liverpool, and there are already lots of French-speaking players at Newcastle, which is still a very well respected club in France.

Lacazette looks like a class act,  and we hope Newcastle can sign this youngster in the summer, and these are the types of players we should be signing, players whose best years are still ahead of them – at Newcastle.

What do you think?

Note: People in the Retail Sector needed – Andrew Todd is a final year student at De Montfort University, and he’s working on his dissertation. His questionnaire is only for people in the UK Retail Sector, and takes only a few minutes to complete – and he’s short of completed questionnaires so see if you can help – here it is.

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

63 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Mar 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM

why would he join Pardew and Ashley’s circus then ? lol

• 2 toonking // Mar 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM

TADS
    well said their mate maybe they will understand it better when you post it because i’m thinking they make me out to be a pardew lover.

Pardew has always been in my view best of the rest, in other words out of all the average managers he seems to be the best but i would have a better manager in for sure i just know that they will not come.

• 3 GeordieTwo // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Well I’m off for a bit mates.

• 4 Dannyo // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:06 PM

“He will only improve at Newcastle….”?
    No Ed, he’ll devolve, like the rest of our players as long as Pardew is here.

• 5 sparky55 // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM

hahahahahaha…very funny ED…

Pardews brilliance as a coach and the team’s inept performances of late are hardly show casing the pantomime that is NUFC.

Why on god’s earth would any player of note want to join newcastle when SKY are broadcasting all round planet earth how sh!te we are, how sh!te the manager is and how sh!te the whole operation is under our sh!te owner who doesn’t give a fcuk.

We’re in a downward spiral and about to implode as all the rats look to leave the sinking ship in the summer…the joiners are in next week to widen the exit door so they can all get through without damaging their precious metatarsals and ego’s

• 6 geordie157 // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Now this would be a good signing, but I doubt we’ll sign him.

• 7 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Jesper

I don’t spin things around to make it Ashley’s issue, it is a matter of fact that these problems are resultant of the way Ashley is running the club, and it is you who is trying to isolate the issues as one solely to do with Pardew and our coaches.

You have already said that can easily separate owner and the team and it is this that makes you short sighted – the ambition-less ownership ties directly into the ambition-less way we play on the pitch. While you think you can separate the two, by doing so, you are missing the big picture.

It is naive to think that we can change the manager and everything will be hunky dory. Surely you are more mature and intelligent enough to realise that this is not the case.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM

TK

Fear of something been even worse than what we currently have is no good reason to keep someone who is clearly failing

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Great player but why the hell would he be snubbing Everton for us!!!!

No chance!!!

Sorry but repost!
    Rotonda
    I agree the manager should have a set philosophy, but then so should the club and it should be bringing players and coaches that match that philosophy not going “okay well Pards owes me a few quid so we’ll get him in, Carvers cheap because he’s a very limited coach but he’s local so that should keep the bumpkins onside, now for players, draw me up a short list of players with clauses, who’s contracts are running down or who haven’t reached the potential they thought, but do it in a league where the tax laws mean they’ll be desperate to move to the prem in pretty low wages, we ‘ll throw it all together and see what happens”

Pardew is in no way blameless, he’s a very limited coach with seemingly no actual identity with regards to a brand of play, trying to forge a style of play with a group of on the whole defensive minded players who are only potentially good, and doing it under no pressure as long as he stats in the league and stays away from the European spots!
    That’s not a recipe for any form of success, and tbh i don’t think anyone would work under those circumstances
    Look at Martinez, he’s said before he took the job he wanted to make sure the owner was someone he could buy into, who had a real vision, can you imagine him buying it greedy tit’s vision of wanting no more from the club other than using it as a massive billboard whilst sneaking all the assets in to holding companies and subbing out all the commercial revenue to his other companies like he’s done with the club shop?
    Pardew is a average manager at best who should never of got the job in the first place, but with this tw@ in charge the next manager will be the same imho

• 10 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Rotonda

The same can be said for the illustrious custodian of this once fine club.

• 11 Thump // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM

French? This rumour might have legs, lads.

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Ciaran
    I fail to see how it’s anyone’s fault but Ashley’s
    Who makes the appointments?
    Who green lights player recruitment and sales?

There’s no philosophy at the club if Ashley apparently wants this attacking side full of pace and flair why the hell has green lighted so many defensive minded players and put bloody Pardew in charge!

I see a lot of posters say what could laudrup or pochettino do with this group of players, fair point, but exactly who at the club spots these talented young players?
    Who’s in the role to say “ere mike this lad pochettino looks like he could really move us on”
    Nobody
    Instead it’s MA picking up the daily mirror or having a quick look on football direct and going, oh look Neil Warnocks out of a job”
    Who’s looking for the long term future?
    Is AP supposed to scout his own replacement, it’s great us saying x y or z would do wonders, buts as confirmed MA knows FA about football and wouldn’t know a Bobby Robson from a Steve Wigley!

• 13 Rotonda heights // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Ed

How the hell would he improve under pardew’s tutelage?
    He would go the way of Cisse once wanted by city,) Ben Arfa, Marveaux, MYM, Anita, Haidara etc etc.

Cabaye had already won everything in France and played regular CL so was always going to be good wherever he went.

What surely must alarm Ash is how all his investments are decreasing in value after being pardewed. We had the base of a very strong team but I would be amazed if any of them stayed beyond the summer now.

• 14 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Tads

I don’t dispute the fact that a better manager would get more out of this group of players. But it would be a short-term fix for a long term problem.

When the transfer window rolls around this hypothetical attack-minded manager will not get the support he’ll desperately need. He’ll not get the replacements for the top players who are sold under his feet, and he’ll have to undermine himself in front of the camera to justify this unjustifiable transfer policy.

How long will this manager put up with this treatment before walking out knowing full well he’d get a better job elsewhere?

Alan Pardew is the perfect man for Ashley’s aims – a fall guy for his bulls**t policy who knows full well he’ll not get a bigger job anywhere else.

• 15 ToonMatt // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Is he free or available on loan like?

• 16 Rotonda heights // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM

tads

it’s a horrible never ending vicious cycle but 50000 will buy the pardew spin and won’t even miss 1/2 games max to make a point, so sadly long term mediocrity is here for the forseeable.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM

And some people on here say I starts the arguments yeah nice one Ciaran, I think you are just as bad as manxpie

• 18 Sazzer // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Gomis beats two men on the wing, then crosses for Lacazette to finish on the volley!

• 19 Sazzer // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:45 PM

• 20 welshgeordie9 // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Get ready ciarans going to respond 321 and

• 21 toonarmydownsouth // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM

RH
    Agreed, I turned down my ticket for Southampton on Saturday, glad i did as the manager and players are mentally already on there holidays, so would be great if fans just didn’t turn up for the rest if the season

• 22 Ancientcoptic // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM

This is the most unrealistic rumour I have heard in a long time.

If by some miracle he wanted to snub clubs in a better position than us, to play for Newcastle… we could not afford him.

This guy would go for between 15 to 20 million.

• 23 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:56 PM

tads rh

I think it would be a lot easier to stage a 1 off stadium boycott I am sure most would be willing to miss one game maybe the last home game of the season

• 24 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Welsh you really are the most pointless person here. At least TDS and Blackley provide a point of view, you just stir s**t.

‘Oh boo hoo Ciaran was mean to me, and Belfast and Manxpie bully me so I’ll never shut up about it’

Grow up and move on you pathetic little man.

• 25 jazzyp // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Beermonkey
    Are you suggesting that we boycott the final home game of the season when we should be thanking the players for putting in performances like the one yesterday………How dare you sir

• 26 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM

jazzyp

I know I should be stripped naked and paraded around the stadium for the half time entertainment for suggesting such a thing I know
    if we could make it the last home game and have no1 there I might just keep my dignity

• 27 jazzyp // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Beermonkey
    I agree with your suggestion but I think the Mass will be in full attendance no matter what.
    As for being paraded around at half time naked…..I hope you wont be as stiff as them pr@cks yesterday lol

• 28 Sazzer // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Interesting to see what develops from this. Everton might struggle next year if they can’t replace their loan players and they sell Barkely half way through the season.

If I were Lacazette then I would wait and see what develops. Like Aubameyang did.

• 29 SBergenwall // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Would be buzzing if we got him but there is no chance in a million years of us ever getting him

• 30 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Ruddy…you know that is not really what I am saying!

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Rotonda,
    I don’t think there are more than two people on this blog who would like Pardew to stay on if we got a new owner, if two even, but how you can lay the blame solely on Pardew for players wanting to leave is absolutely ridiculous and gives your arguments no credibility, it’s got nothing to do with Mashers not paying the going rate or one of his cronies effictively announcing they’ll never win a trophy here as they’re not priority.

• 32 jimiley // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Why would he want to come to a club fighting relegation? Oh I get it. Because of Alan and Mike. The lad is on his way to help us stave off relegation and Alan will turn him into a world beater. Then Mike sells him. Now I understand.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Welsh person,
    You never answered me the other day, why are you here ?

• 34 jimiley // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM

50,000 numpties in SJP who will drivel at whatever Alan serves them. They deserve all they get and they do not even complain. Just sit there in silence. Brilliant

• 35 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:30 PM

jazzyp

lol I cant imagine any stiffness

sazzy
    I was chatting to an everton friend of mine the otherday
    he eats drinks and sleeps the club
    and I asked if they will cash in on barkey and colemen he is convinced they will be going nowhere

• 36 Go toon gooooo // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Premier League is too cruel to experiment with low class managers like Sherwood and Pardew.4-0 0-4 1-5 0-6 in 60 minute and so on and so on.Everybody deserves his place where he truly deserves to be and let the fans to have better days in the future.I’m not saying that these two managers will not improve in the future but now it is not the time for experimenting and they need to leave immediately.If they are still in their clubs in the future something bigger is the problem.I’m sure that Tottenham will solve their problem.0-6 in the 60 minute.I still remember how Rodgers ordered to their players to stop trashing St. James Park with goals.If Pardew was reasonable man after that game he needed to walk alone from this club.And what about our games with Manchester City and Sunderland?And i still believe that Roberto Di Matteo will fix this club because i think that he is the only unfairly manager that doesn’t have a job.Five bad games in WBA,no bad games in Chelsea and Champions League.Premier League has hard and soul and it’s not good to change managers but now simply is the TIME.

• 37 Marty-Toon // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Just as Man Utd fans did yesterday there is some Newcastle fans that’ve got together to do a drive by at half time with the lawn mower down the centre line of the pitch hoping to get MA’s attention ;-)

• 38 Marty-Toon // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I must say if I lived in England I wouldn’t be paying to watch that drivel.
    Problem is we can’t see MA doing anything with Pards apart from continuing in the same direction.
    Sad state of affairs at NUFC
    Shearer looked stunned on MOTD like.

• 39 Transfer Sage // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM

People under estimate the pull of the prem league, we only pay average prem league wages but they are still high relative to other leagues so we can attract good players, even on our pay scale, just not top established stars.

We won’t kick on, in my opinion, as nothing suggests to me we want to move forward, just happy in the spots where we are, so we will replace what we have lost (cabaye and remy), shola too and get by with the rest in my opinion, only buying a first teamer if we sell one.

A new manager would get more from these players but ashley is inept at appointing one so hardly worth thinking about the idiot he’d bring in.

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM

You have got laugh at some of the drama queens on here

Ciaran you have haven’t been mean to me so i don’t where you got that from and if you were I couldn’t give a rats arse as for need to grow up pot kettle springs to mind all you’ve done this weekend is have a childish arguement with someone as for manxpie and Belfast bullying me no chance in hell, I take everything on here with a pinch of salt it’s a pity you lot couldn’t do the same and that’s the last time I’m saying that tonight.

• 41 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM

God you’re so boring, change the record! Pinch of salt? That would explain why you never stop going on about it…

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I see you always like to have the last word on here

• 43 toon kk // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I reckon next season will be the last season we’ll be in the premier league, we’ll slip away just like Boro.
    let’s hope I’m wrong.

• 44 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM

toon kk

I think we will buy the bear minimum in the summer and see where we are in jan then panic buy again if need be

its a race to 40 points for the toon now if were close or past it near jan no need to spend

• 45 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Welsh

It’s not something I’m bothered with. I tend to like to have the last word worth saying, but in my conversations with you, I’m guaranteed that.

• 46 aidytoon9 // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

It really is sad to think this club shows no ambition, Ashley is the person that holds the key to success as being the owner but he hasn’t grasped it.
    He needs to sell this club before we can dream again of at least having a chance to win something.
    At the moment we are just a club with decent financial records but that doesn’t show in the record books.
    Also a manager who speaks the truth and has balls to stand up to his owner even though he may get the sack.

• 47 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Ciaran
    sorry if u have answered this while I see ur about
    what was nust view of the land sale and the other groups

• 48 lesh // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Hsng on…. He’s supposedly turned down Everton and’s waiting in case an offer from either Liverpool or Newcastle comes along.

Good to know we’re up there with Liverpool in being highly attractive to players. :-P

• 49 Ciaran // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Beermonkey

NUST have released a statement surrounding the land sale on their website. nust.org.uk if you want to check it out.

• 50 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I think Pardew & Sherwopd were seperated at birth, both a pair of smug w@nkers that give it the big one but are about as talented as a housebrick.

• 51 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Sherwood rather :) .

• 52 welshgeordie9 // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I don’t think so some how

• 53 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM

cheers Ciaran

BPC

thought Sherwood was gonna cry again

what a smart manager rogers is talking about changing tactics and applauding his players the work and willingness to lean

I aint been able to work out our formation or tactics in the last 2 games when u watch them and see where the players are on the pitch it makes no sence

liking holtby more and more the more I see him

spurs how can you take a good team spend 100mill and ruin it

• 54 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

@ monkey

The guy is a manchild :) .

I would love Holty at NUFC but I doubt we could get him other than on loan.

Also Mirallas is just the type of player we need on the wing as Gouffran never has (nor will) be a winger but Pardew is a clueless chump so he will persist FFS.

• 55 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM

BPC

there have a few in holtby’s position there they paid a lot of money for they got holtby for a couple of mill I would think a 5 6 million bid will seal the deal,
    i would be bidding now before they get a new manager in there, levy will want to recoup some cash and get the wages down for the new manager and the new manager will be expected to get the new buys working

i think most of them will work out they needed time to settle but to many players with big price tags in at 1 time all expected to hit the ground running

• 56 Big Pappa Cissé // Mar 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

My God Owen is thick as pig sh*t.

He says Chelsea have lost the title because they didn’t have good enough strikers and that they should have went for Benteke saying he is young, hungry & powerful.

Does the clown not know they already own Lukaku who is a better player with a better goalscoring recorf FFS.

How he is a pundit I will never know.

• 57 AaranD // Mar 30, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Holtby is a good shout, creative player who simply loves playing football.

• 58 will.dawg // Mar 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM

MUST WATCH, SKIP TO 12.45

• 59 beermonkey // Mar 30, 2014 at 11:24 PM

BPC

i hope they don’t take him to the world cup to commentate his voice is like nails on a blackboard

AaranD

he is exactly what we need not just cos we got no cabaye i would have wanted him if we still had cabs

• 60 gazzaforever // Mar 31, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Lacazette will never sign here. Never.

• 61 Sazzer // Mar 31, 2014 at 12:23 AM

beermonkey
    Everton have sold Fellaini, Rooney, Arteta and Rodwell after all and so if City wants him I’m sure a deal can be done with a bit of money and couple of players that they want to get rid like Barry, Rodwell, Richards, Guidetti, Sinclair.

With that said though, I don’t think Barkley is in hurry to move on and might become Evertons Gerrard if they are lucky.

• 62 Blofal // Mar 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Lacazette would be great… but I pains me to say we are nt good enough to attract a player like him.

That is how far we have fallen.

• 63 Sav // Mar 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Is it pure coincidence our two top Frenchmen are taking an enforced rest period returning in just enough time to get match sharp before the WCup?

previous post: Mathieu Debuchy – PSG Is Huge – A Dream