Why I Had To Leave Newcastle – Cabaye

Newcastle’s former creative central midfielder Yohan Cabaye has at least been professional and courteous about his time at Newcastle since he left, and Yohan’s not bad mouthed the club at all, and in fact the opposite has been true, and that’s maybe because the 27 year-old realizes just how much playing at Newcastle for a short two and a half years, catapulted his football career forward.

yohan cabaye psg

Yohan Cabaye – now at PSG

And Yohan has been interviewed today on the UEFA website, and he has said why he had to leave the famous Tyneside club:

“I really liked playing in another league and discovering another culture,” “Playing in the best league at the moment, it was a real discovery for me. I loved it, I enjoyed it a lot.”

“When a club like PSG wants you and does everything to have you, it’s difficult not to accept it. It allows me to come and play to win titles like the French league, we’re in the League Cup final and of course we’re still in the Champions League.”

“For a football player, these are very important decisions to make. I didn’t hesitate in coming here.”

Of course it’s only been since July of 2011 that PSG have been such a big club – and maybe the real reason is that they have become a really rich club – much like Manchester City became in August of 2008.

And it just shows how big money has altered the landscape of the game of football, although most big clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal don’t seem to have suffered too much – but Newcastle United have.

That’s one of the problems we have at the moment – we are short of big money to buy the very best players to become a great team again – and get back into the Champions League.

It’s just not happening,  and that’s sad but true.

• Toon Tang

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM

There are no comments yet … please kick things off by filling out the form below.

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I wish he’d tell the real reason why and what he meant in his veiled dig at JfK.

• Graeme

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Jail – wouldn’t that be interesting, even if a potential can of worms lol.

• Average_Contents

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

At least a bit of good news lads

The club seem to of pulled their finger out for next pre-season and have decided to participate in the first shalke 04 cup along with malaga, a unnamed Greek club and of course shalke 04

Pleasantly surprised as the recent press-seasons have been a shambles!

• Average_Contents

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM

*Recent pre-season’s

• Average_Contents

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM

My bad, not a Greek club just an unnamed one lol

Shows some forward planning for once

• 70TWO

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM

“It allows me to come and play to win titles like the French league, we’re in the League Cup final and of course we’re still in the Champions League”

– not playing to win only half your games and not be able to compete in any cup competitions at all.

The Joeker wasn’t the reason for Cabaye going or not having another player to provide the same drive within the squad. The problem was with the Joeker being employed in a position he was incapable of fulfilling and the lack of rigor used in the running of the club.

• Ciaran

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Our pre-season tour announced at the beginning of April? If anyone was in any doubt whether or not the powers that be consider our season to be over or not, there is your answer…

• Ciaran

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM

70Two

I don’t think Jail is saying that JFK was a reason behind Cabaye leaving, but back in September Cabaye was quoted as saying something along the lines of ‘Only Joe Kinnear knows the truth about what happened’ in relation to Cabaye’s alleged refusal to play in the first couple of games of the season, alluding to the possibility that not all was what it appeared to be.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Average_Contents….try and apply your logic to real life whether you are a student or have a job!

…that is simply just saying as an individual we have no responsibility! I don’t accept that…sorry mate!

Ruddy….great post from you earlier – that’s the Ruddy I enjoy 😉

• catchy in norway

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

i think the guys days are numbered , now the chronicle have started to report the truth about the matches, there starting to point the finger at the right guy regarding the football side of things,
    there even mocking him with the excuse maker ,

over the last few days, i have enjoyed reading what Neil and Lee have been writing , and it seems to be hitting the right buttons with the readers, not many people sticking up for pardew now,

i guess we will still have the numpties on here, manx TADS and a few others making excuses for the guy, it only goes to show they no nothing about football

• Average_Contents

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I never said he shouldn’t be held accountable did I? I agree he needs to go but the man who appointed him is also at fault, not just for that but a number of things and as far as logic goes, I have applied it to my reasoning and come to the obvious conclusion that cashley is the cancer and pardew is a tumour! That I’m afraid is the cold, hard truth in all of this.

What is logical regarding NUFC at the moment anyway lol

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Wow…fans slagged off the club for not planning the pre-season properly before and now idiots like Ciaran come out and slag off the club for planning it too early.

If we signed Ronaldo you’d just be claiming it’s a tax dodge for Mike Ashley.

• mushy

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Y’aaal reet lads.

My latest conspiracy theory….

Remy now being reported as very doubtful for Saturday. Debuchy continues to be unavailable through injury. Both injuries sustained while playing for France.
    What is the situation regarding compensation?
    Where do Ashley’s priorities lie?

Get my drift??

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM

mushy

Are you sh***ing me? Since when do clubs come out and detail the compensation that they’re getting for players injured on international duty? Should they tell the fans how much they spent on washing socks too?

You’re suggesting that Mike Ashley isn’t claiming compensation because he’s secretly French?

Go find something better to do…

• yo-yo

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Catchy

Aye right let’s poach a new manager off Cardiff or the Scum and bring in a real high performer. Poyet’s record is worse than your other choice – the Italian topman.

Actually I do agree Pardew’s days are numbered. Unfortunately probably in the 100s than the 10s. but hopefully not in the 1000s.

I’d rather be a numpty thaan a mackem WUM wanting my own team to get beat.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Pardew is an average manager, it’s as simple as that. I wouldn’t sack him for a single manager below us in the league and I wouldn’t sack him for Sherwood either. Managers like Mel, AVB and Laudrup have come with big reputations from foreign leagues and not done well at all.

Replacing Pardew is no guarantee of success.

• mushy

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM

TDS read my post again.

I’m simply postulating that Ashley has no motivation to get Remy and Debuchy playing anytime soon. The longer they remain sidelined, the more the compensation accumulates.

I should not have posed my theory as a series of questions; it leaves some readers too much to do.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM

yo-yo

Well said. I’d love to see a really top manager come in here and work his magic. Managers like Rodgers and Martinez have proven themselves at English (and then PL clubs) and are now doing very well for the Scouse duo but they were still considered risks. I can’t see any manager in England that jumps out as an attractive target for club of our size, which means either going abroad or taking a serious gamble.

Fact is, Pardew was set a target of top 10 and he looks like achieving that so I can’t see him being sacked. Though I’d like to see a minimum top 8 target next season regardless of who is manager.

• Ciaran

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Mr Harding

I would greatly appreciate it if you refrained from calling me an idiot, it is both insulting and inaccurate.

Respectfully yours
    Ciaran Donaghy

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM

mushy

Ok…so you’re suggesting that Remy and Debuchy (and presumably Pardew, the coaches and the physios) are all complicit in committing fraud in order to have Remy’s and Debuchy’s wages paid (because I think that’s all that compensation is) while our team struggle because we’re missing two crucial players?

• Ciaran

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Jesper

Don’t want you thinking that I was taking on board what you were saying though 😛 I just wanted you to know that I do completely understand where you, and others of your mindset are coming from but that I don’t personally hold that particular point of view as I do see Pardew and Ashley melding into one disastrous blob which is dragging our club into the dirt.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Mr Donaghy,

I apologise for calling you an idiot. I will rephrase to say that your post was idiotic.

Kind regards,
    Mark.

• Whilst I think it’s about time we had a proper and competitive pre season, the last 3 have been an utter joke, I think the announcement should have waited until the end of the season. It’s merely a ploy to keep the increasing heat off the team and Pardew in my opinion.
    Tonight we need a few key injuries for United if we’re to stand even the slightest chance of getting something from that game, don’t wish it upon them of course but I believe that’s what we need.

• Ciaran

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Mark

I vehemently disagree with your position because I lack any respect for your point of view.

Ciaran

• mushy

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:24 PM

TDS
    “fraud” absolutely not.
    the progression from being injured to being match fit is just that: a progression. It is not black or white. I’m just saying I believe the desire to accumulate compensation may be greater than rushing them back when there’s nowt much to play for.
    But I’m glad you now understand my original post, you did get the wrong end of the stick, now didn’t you.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Ciaran,

That attitude is what brands you an idiot.

Mark.

• mag

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM

It’s good to be back.

• Ciaran

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Mark

No, your insistence on debasing people to childish insults is what is branding me. I was not the one who instigated this petty mud-slinging, so perhaps you should evaluate your own behaviour before critiquing the behaviour of others. There’s a good lad.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for an improvement in the future Mr. Harding. Now off you pop you little whipper snapper.

• Sazzer

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Everton is playing some great football under Martinez now but he got Wigan relegated and had win% with them overall was 28.98 %. To his credit his Swansea stats are 50.0 % and his current Everton stats 56.76%.

Pochettino win % at Espanyol was 32.92 %. He got sacked after getting only 9 points in 13 games. His current with Southampton is 38.89% according to wiki.

Nigal Adkins win % at Southampton 54.03%.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

mushy

You’re right…I did get the wrong end of the stick.

Fraud is defined by Wikipedia as “a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain” and you don’t think pretending that players are unavailable for selection due to injury qualifies?

Damn right they shouldn’t be rushed back but I’d say that’s more in the interest of the players and of NUFC than the compensation. If Debuchy got rushed back and was then out for 6 months then he’d miss the start of next season as well as the rest of this one. If Remy got injured because we played him when we shouldn’t then QPR could be the club demanding compensation from us!

I think you’re reaching a little here…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Average_Contents…I don’t think anyone is saying Mike is not complicit – we are complicit as well mate 😉

…but I am not to blame for the football and neither is Mike on a fundamental level (he might have hired him, but Pardew’s resume say he should be able to coach at this level)

I cannot fire him, that is up to Mike I realize that. That is my angle – get rid of Pardew, cause I don’t think Mike is leaving anytime soon 🙁

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Just saw Sissokho abd his stunning girlfriend checking in for Paris, I asked him if he was coming back next season and he laughed and said ‘yeah’ I also asked if Mashers paid on time
    Wtf is he doing going to Paris after a performance like last Saturday !

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Ciaran

You obviously haven’t learned that childish baiting does nothing to wind me up…

Your post 8 is idiotic because you’re just finding any excuse to criticise the club at the moment to suit your agenda and your post 26 brands you an idiot because only an idiot would say they don’t respect another person’s point of view if that standpoint is based on sound logic.

I respect your points of view even though I think they come from a bitter little man who likes to try and “stick it to the man”. Although I do struggle with accepting that these are your views 100% and not just a way of winding people up online because you haven’t got anything better to do…

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Ruddy…no probelm mate 😀 I have never had a problem disagreeing with you! I just thought you were not the Ruddy I remember and like!

• validator

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Everyone leaves if they have any ambition in themselves.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM

JfA

Maybe just taking a couple of days away with his girlfriend? You don’t think footballers are allowed to do that?

• mushy

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

TDS
    You seem determined to turn what I started as my somewhat trivial tongue-in-cheek conspiracy theory, into a serious debate using dictionary definitions, criminal law and club ethics. Feel free to continue down this path, but you’ve reached my boredom threshold, I withdraw.
    Hope we’re still chums.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

TDS….maybe what JFA is trying to say is “who on earth is Sissoko a few day off” with that performance? 😉