The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Why I Had To Leave Newcastle – Cabaye

2:27 pm, Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

Newcastle’s former creative central midfielder Yohan Cabaye has at least been professional and courteous about his time at Newcastle since he left, and Yohan’s not bad mouthed the club at all, and in fact the opposite has been true, and that’s maybe because the 27 year-old realizes just how much playing at Newcastle for a short two and a half years, catapulted his football career forward.

yohan cabaye psg

Yohan Cabaye – now at PSG

And Yohan has been interviewed today on the UEFA website, and he has said why he had to leave the famous Tyneside club:

“I really liked playing in another league and discovering another culture,” “Playing in the best league at the moment, it was a real discovery for me. I loved it, I enjoyed it a lot.”

“When a club like PSG wants you and does everything to have you, it’s difficult not to accept it. It allows me to come and play to win titles like the French league, we’re in the League Cup final and of course we’re still in the Champions League.”

“For a football player, these are very important decisions to make. I didn’t hesitate in coming here.”

Of course it’s only been since July of 2011 that PSG have been such a big club – and maybe the real reason is that they have become a really rich club – much like Manchester City became in August of 2008.

And it just shows how big money has altered the landscape of the game of football, although most big clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal don’t seem to have suffered too much – but Newcastle United have.

That’s one of the problems we have at the moment – we are short of big money to buy the very best players to become a great team again – and get back into the Champions League.

It’s just not happening,  and that’s sad but true.

Tags: European Champions League · European Competition · Newcastle News · Premier League · Yohan Cabaye

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon Tang // Apr 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM

There are no comments yet … please kick things off by filling out the form below.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Apr 1, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I wish he’d tell the real reason why and what he meant in his veiled dig at JfK.

• 3 Graeme // Apr 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Jail – wouldn’t that be interesting, even if a potential can of worms lol.

• 4 Average_Contents // Apr 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

At least a bit of good news lads

The club seem to of pulled their finger out for next pre-season and have decided to participate in the first shalke 04 cup along with malaga, a unnamed Greek club and of course shalke 04

Pleasantly surprised as the recent press-seasons have been a shambles!

• 5 Average_Contents // Apr 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM

*Recent pre-season’s

• 6 Average_Contents // Apr 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM

My bad, not a Greek club just an unnamed one lol

Shows some forward planning for once

• 7 70TWO // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:03 PM

“It allows me to come and play to win titles like the French league, we’re in the League Cup final and of course we’re still in the Champions League”

- not playing to win only half your games and not be able to compete in any cup competitions at all.

The Joeker wasn’t the reason for Cabaye going or not having another player to provide the same drive within the squad. The problem was with the Joeker being employed in a position he was incapable of fulfilling and the lack of rigor used in the running of the club.

• 8 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Our pre-season tour announced at the beginning of April? If anyone was in any doubt whether or not the powers that be consider our season to be over or not, there is your answer…

• 9 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM

70Two

I don’t think Jail is saying that JFK was a reason behind Cabaye leaving, but back in September Cabaye was quoted as saying something along the lines of ‘Only Joe Kinnear knows the truth about what happened’ in relation to Cabaye’s alleged refusal to play in the first couple of games of the season, alluding to the possibility that not all was what it appeared to be.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM

How scarily predicative

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Average_Contents….try and apply your logic to real life whether you are a student or have a job!

…that is simply just saying as an individual we have no responsibility! I don’t accept that…sorry mate!

Ruddy….great post from you earlier – that’s the Ruddy I enjoy ;)

• 12 catchy in norway // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:54 PM

i think the guys days are numbered , now the chronicle have started to report the truth about the matches, there starting to point the finger at the right guy regarding the football side of things,
    there even mocking him with the excuse maker ,

over the last few days, i have enjoyed reading what Neil and Lee have been writing , and it seems to be hitting the right buttons with the readers, not many people sticking up for pardew now,

i guess we will still have the numpties on here, manx TADS and a few others making excuses for the guy, it only goes to show they no nothing about football

• 13 Average_Contents // Apr 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I never said he shouldn’t be held accountable did I? I agree he needs to go but the man who appointed him is also at fault, not just for that but a number of things and as far as logic goes, I have applied it to my reasoning and come to the obvious conclusion that cashley is the cancer and pardew is a tumour! That I’m afraid is the cold, hard truth in all of this.

What is logical regarding NUFC at the moment anyway lol

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Wow…fans slagged off the club for not planning the pre-season properly before and now idiots like Ciaran come out and slag off the club for planning it too early.

If we signed Ronaldo you’d just be claiming it’s a tax dodge for Mike Ashley.

• 15 mushy // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Y’aaal reet lads.

My latest conspiracy theory….

Remy now being reported as very doubtful for Saturday. Debuchy continues to be unavailable through injury. Both injuries sustained while playing for France.
    What is the situation regarding compensation?
    Where do Ashley’s priorities lie?

Get my drift??

• 16 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM

mushy

Are you sh***ing me? Since when do clubs come out and detail the compensation that they’re getting for players injured on international duty? Should they tell the fans how much they spent on washing socks too?

You’re suggesting that Mike Ashley isn’t claiming compensation because he’s secretly French?

Go find something better to do…

• 17 yo-yo // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Catchy

Aye right let’s poach a new manager off Cardiff or the Scum and bring in a real high performer. Poyet’s record is worse than your other choice – the Italian topman.

Actually I do agree Pardew’s days are numbered. Unfortunately probably in the 100s than the 10s. but hopefully not in the 1000s.

I’d rather be a numpty thaan a mackem WUM wanting my own team to get beat.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Pardew is an average manager, it’s as simple as that. I wouldn’t sack him for a single manager below us in the league and I wouldn’t sack him for Sherwood either. Managers like Mel, AVB and Laudrup have come with big reputations from foreign leagues and not done well at all.

Replacing Pardew is no guarantee of success.

• 19 mushy // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:12 PM

TDS read my post again.

I’m simply postulating that Ashley has no motivation to get Remy and Debuchy playing anytime soon. The longer they remain sidelined, the more the compensation accumulates.

I should not have posed my theory as a series of questions; it leaves some readers too much to do.

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM

yo-yo

Well said. I’d love to see a really top manager come in here and work his magic. Managers like Rodgers and Martinez have proven themselves at English (and then PL clubs) and are now doing very well for the Scouse duo but they were still considered risks. I can’t see any manager in England that jumps out as an attractive target for club of our size, which means either going abroad or taking a serious gamble.

Fact is, Pardew was set a target of top 10 and he looks like achieving that so I can’t see him being sacked. Though I’d like to see a minimum top 8 target next season regardless of who is manager.

• 21 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Mr Harding

I would greatly appreciate it if you refrained from calling me an idiot, it is both insulting and inaccurate.

Respectfully yours
    Ciaran Donaghy

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM

mushy

Ok…so you’re suggesting that Remy and Debuchy (and presumably Pardew, the coaches and the physios) are all complicit in committing fraud in order to have Remy’s and Debuchy’s wages paid (because I think that’s all that compensation is) while our team struggle because we’re missing two crucial players?

• 23 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Jesper

Don’t want you thinking that I was taking on board what you were saying though :P I just wanted you to know that I do completely understand where you, and others of your mindset are coming from but that I don’t personally hold that particular point of view as I do see Pardew and Ashley melding into one disastrous blob which is dragging our club into the dirt.

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Mr Donaghy,

I apologise for calling you an idiot. I will rephrase to say that your post was idiotic.

Kind regards,
    Mark.

• 25 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Whilst I think it’s about time we had a proper and competitive pre season, the last 3 have been an utter joke, I think the announcement should have waited until the end of the season. It’s merely a ploy to keep the increasing heat off the team and Pardew in my opinion.
    Tonight we need a few key injuries for United if we’re to stand even the slightest chance of getting something from that game, don’t wish it upon them of course but I believe that’s what we need.

• 26 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Mark

I vehemently disagree with your position because I lack any respect for your point of view.

Ciaran

• 27 mushy // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:24 PM

TDS
    “fraud” absolutely not.
    the progression from being injured to being match fit is just that: a progression. It is not black or white. I’m just saying I believe the desire to accumulate compensation may be greater than rushing them back when there’s nowt much to play for.
    But I’m glad you now understand my original post, you did get the wrong end of the stick, now didn’t you.

• 28 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Ciaran,

That attitude is what brands you an idiot.

Mark.

• 29 mag // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM

It’s good to be back.

• 30 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Mark

No, your insistence on debasing people to childish insults is what is branding me. I was not the one who instigated this petty mud-slinging, so perhaps you should evaluate your own behaviour before critiquing the behaviour of others. There’s a good lad.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for an improvement in the future Mr. Harding. Now off you pop you little whipper snapper.

• 31 Sazzer // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Everton is playing some great football under Martinez now but he got Wigan relegated and had win% with them overall was 28.98 %. To his credit his Swansea stats are 50.0 % and his current Everton stats 56.76%.

Pochettino win % at Espanyol was 32.92 %. He got sacked after getting only 9 points in 13 games. His current with Southampton is 38.89% according to wiki.

Nigal Adkins win % at Southampton 54.03%.

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

mushy

You’re right…I did get the wrong end of the stick.

Fraud is defined by Wikipedia as “a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain” and you don’t think pretending that players are unavailable for selection due to injury qualifies?

Damn right they shouldn’t be rushed back but I’d say that’s more in the interest of the players and of NUFC than the compensation. If Debuchy got rushed back and was then out for 6 months then he’d miss the start of next season as well as the rest of this one. If Remy got injured because we played him when we shouldn’t then QPR could be the club demanding compensation from us!

I think you’re reaching a little here…

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Average_Contents…I don’t think anyone is saying Mike is not complicit – we are complicit as well mate ;)

…but I am not to blame for the football and neither is Mike on a fundamental level (he might have hired him, but Pardew’s resume say he should be able to coach at this level)

I cannot fire him, that is up to Mike I realize that. That is my angle – get rid of Pardew, cause I don’t think Mike is leaving anytime soon :(

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Just saw Sissokho abd his stunning girlfriend checking in for Paris, I asked him if he was coming back next season and he laughed and said ‘yeah’ I also asked if Mashers paid on time
    Wtf is he doing going to Paris after a performance like last Saturday !

• 35 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Ciaran

You obviously haven’t learned that childish baiting does nothing to wind me up…

Your post 8 is idiotic because you’re just finding any excuse to criticise the club at the moment to suit your agenda and your post 26 brands you an idiot because only an idiot would say they don’t respect another person’s point of view if that standpoint is based on sound logic.

I respect your points of view even though I think they come from a bitter little man who likes to try and “stick it to the man”. Although I do struggle with accepting that these are your views 100% and not just a way of winding people up online because you haven’t got anything better to do…

• 36 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Ruddy…no probelm mate :D I have never had a problem disagreeing with you! I just thought you were not the Ruddy I remember and like!

• 37 validator // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Everyone leaves if they have any ambition in themselves.

• 38 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM

JfA

Maybe just taking a couple of days away with his girlfriend? You don’t think footballers are allowed to do that?

• 39 mushy // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

TDS
    You seem determined to turn what I started as my somewhat trivial tongue-in-cheek conspiracy theory, into a serious debate using dictionary definitions, criminal law and club ethics. Feel free to continue down this path, but you’ve reached my boredom threshold, I withdraw.
    Hope we’re still chums.

• 40 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

TDS….maybe what JFA is trying to say is “who on earth is Sissoko a few day off” with that performance? ;)

• 41 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Sazzer

Martinez has always been a smart cookie but he could have failed with the step up just as Moyes appears to with Man Utd. Football is such a funny sport that the next couple of seasons could see Moyes build a new Man Utd and win the league while Martinez struggles to avoid relegation and gets sacked…who knows…

As for Pochettino, he is massively benefitting from some fantastic youth players that have played a lot of games for Southampton and are riding on a high. If he’s still doing it in 2 or 3 seasons then he’ll really be a top PL manager and he’ll probably get a job for a top club.

• 42 Mister Tuff // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

jail – interesting sighting at the airport. Good question -what is Sissoko doing going to Paris mid week. I suspect we’ll hear from Percy Parsnip stating that he has a slight twinge so has been ruled out for the weekend.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

*getting

• 44 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Mark

So you believe that by rendering my post idiotic, you were coming from a position of sound logic, and as such I am an idiot for not respecting the point of view of someone who thinks I am an idiot?

Sound logic indeed…

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM

mushy

Sorry…I just get disappointed by the general negativity on this blog and feel a need to counteract it where possible! I think too many fans on here seem to feel a need to slag off the club whenever possible and personally I think that’s the job of the mackems…

• 46 Ciaran // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Jesper

Always been the Ruddy you remember and like, just this season seems to be wearing me down. Really struggle to have banter on this page any more like we used to, it used to be a right laugh on here but things have taken a rather sinister seriousness in the last 18 months and until both Ashley and Pardew have vacated the premises, it is unlikely to shift any time soon.

• 47 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM

jesper

Either you’ve missed out a word there or your Danish translator has malfunctioned mate… :-)

Aaaah…you meant “whY on earth is Sissoko GETTING a few day off”?

I get that…but footballers are different these days. Maybe Pardew thinks he needs a few days off to recharge his batteries. It’s not always the best thing to stay at the club and graft away in the training ground.

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM

TDS…yeah my phone is not helping ;)

…but I did at the word “getting” afterwards!

Well then he can check into the nearest B&B!

• 49 mushy // Apr 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM

TDS

Don’t you dare call me a Mackem. I’ll come down there and rip your head off……. just kidding.

Drunk in bar jumps on a table and yells “all Mackems are w@nkers”
    Little bloke at the other end says “Hey, I strongly object to that slur”
    Drunk “are you a Mackem’
    Little bloke “no, I’m a w@nker”

• 50 lesh // Apr 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Spurs have have it looks as they’re going to address them by appointing Van Gaal.

Strikes me that if we’re gonna have a big clear out in the summer, Ashley may as well appoint a new broom and introduce a big change to our game.

Liverpool bit the bullet with Rogers and it’s paying off for them.

So, Ashley really ought to have someone who really knows the game, headhunting for a new Manager or even a DoF who could put Pardew on notice that it’s change and win, or get out!

• 51 lesh // Apr 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Oh, and Ciaran, you seem to be getting a lot of grief from posters. Fancy calling you an idiot, that’s difficult for anyone to read.

A word of advice and believe me, taking it’ll make you feel a lot better: just ignore your critics, rise above it and don’t respond. You’ve no reason to defend ……. , you’re wasting your energy snr time.

You’re trying to defend the indefensible!

• 52 JP...from The Rock // Apr 1, 2014 at 10:57 PM

We can’t compare to the likes of Arsenal, Man Ure, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool Ed!

A long time ago we were rubbing shoulders with Liverpool and Chelsea. Now they are miles ahead and we are a mere shadow of the great club we once were.

Heck even Spurs and Everton are miles ahead these days!

We have a decent squad but a crap manager and a pathetic tactics. We are also a few players short in key areas to becoming a great side again. Sadly when we fill those gaps more will be left open because it takes us ages just to plug some holes in this team.

We will never move forward at this rate and I am sick of it all, I really am.

Today I hear talk that our most talented player Ben Arfa will probably be shown the door with a stupid excuse just because our clueless manager does not have a clue how to use him.

THE FUTURE IS NOT BRIGHT IT’S BLACK!!!

• 53 Sav // Apr 2, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Some good things this season:
    1. Faye Downey’s appointment and a relatively injury-free season.
    2. Tiote has calmed down and matured.
    3. An overdue clear-out of players who can’t cut it is inevitable.
    4. There’s cash in the kitty to fund a big summer of transfers.
    5. Despite a bad finish, we will end up where we should.
    6. The academy has improved and had some investment.
    7. We got Remy on loan.

There’s plenty bad stuff, too. This blog lists most of them daily, but I’m trying to view the positive here.

• 54 south coast toon // Apr 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM

sav
    i think another positive is ldy try before you buy no goals
    not sure were we go from here we have a team that can beat man u chelsea and nearlly liverpool, to one that just doesnt turn up and it happens to often, too many players out of position
    mwy and willo playin well together why drop mwy for collo hes off at end of season no sense in it
    letting cabs go with no replacement madness
    not buying a proven striker for over 2 years
    set plays ……
    team giving up in games
    the blame lies were
    ive had enough of pardew but is another manager goig to get backed properly without sakling top players without replacing them…..if you have to think about it you know the answer, we are going to have to endure this for a long time,
    rollon next season quick before we have to endure we tried to get xyz but we coukldnt compete with what hull offered lol

previous post: Pardew Understatement – We Need Some Freshening Up