The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Arsenal Now Interested In Bafe Gomis

1:35 pm, Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Bafe Gomis, the Lyon striker is now said to be interesting Arsenal, but they are also interested in Newcastle striker Loic Remy, who is on loan from QPR and will also be available in the summer, and it would be a surprise if the top London club sign two strikers in the summer.

bafetimbi gomis - pink

Bafe Gomis – Arsenal now interested?

The 28-year-old Gomis will come to the end of his five year contract at the French club at the end of June, and will become a free agent, and Arsenal are known to want to strengthen their ranks at striker, to assist Olivier Giroud up front.

Italian clubs Juventus and Fiorentina are also after a striker in the summer, and have also been credited with an interest in acquiring the French International.

Football Direct News is reporting that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is now keen on Bafe Gomis, and maybe that would mean he wouldn’t  go after Loic Remy?

With Gomis available on a free transfer, it could be that Arsene Wenger sees him as a better bargain than Loic Remy – who would cost as much as £15M, but we always thought he had an £8M release clause in his QPR contract.

Loic would have wanted that clause in his contract in case QPR were relegated last season – which they were – but maybe the clause had a time limit on it.

And Loic Remy has already proved at QPR and Newcastle United that he can score goals in the Premier League, and that’s not true with Gomis, who has only played in the French League with Troyes, Saint Etienne and Lyon.

Gomis has scored 19 goals in 39 total appearances for Lyon this season and in his five years at the club he has 91 goals in 233 total appearances.

Newcastle would love to have both Loic Remy and Bafe Gomis on Tyneside for next season.

What do you think?

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 El Tino // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM

“I was surprised to see how long Pardew held on to the job in the end.
    “In Argentina or Brazil he would have been out long ago. It was clear the team did not react as he wanted — it wasn’t going right.
    “I was never given the chances I thought I would be given and I was told to play out of position against my will.
    “I had to sacrifice myself for the team which I don’t think helped. I was playing in ways I did not understand well and I lost a lot from my own game.”It didn’t fit where he put me, but I wanted to help.”
    Tevez, who scored 25 goals in 38 games for Brazilian side Corinthians, has yet to score in 13 appearances for West Ham, the worst spell of his career.

That has contributed to the Hammers’ dismal run of 11 defeats in 17 League games, a sickening cup defeat to minnows Chesterfield and a potentially disastrous relegation fight.

“I don’t think he had a clear idea about my game or what to do. He was good football man but more suited to coaching English teams without foreign players with big reputations.

“I think that was a bit of a problem for him.”

Tevez was mystified why Mascherano — linked with a move to Juventus — was not given a chance by Pardew.

He said: “It was strange not to have Javier playing. Especially as the team were struggling and losing. He is a very good player, doing well in training and he just wanted to play.”

• 2 Average_Contents // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Ciaran

He described the appointment of Joe kinnear twice as weird!

That sums him up in a nutshell for me :)

• 3 Average_Contents // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Where does maschererano play now? Is it for some shitty club? lol pardspew doesn’t know his Fcuking elbow from his teeth the halfwit bullshitter

• 4 El Tino // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Cisse, Benny, Marv, Gouf, Mbiwa..etc All quality, proven players under a good manager. If pards stays, these guys will be replaced with Williamson, Shola, De Jong types and a style of football that mirrors that.

• 5 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Seems like we should have went for him over De Jong .

• 6 Ciaran // Apr 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Average

Weird is putting it lightly! As for Pardew, well the man is a muppet, we’re all pretty much in agreement with that

• 7 avidfan // Apr 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM

My feelings are Newcastle are under performing with the type of players we have they should be getting a reasonable set of results but I also believe it’s not all down to the manager himself yes he picks the team but the players need to perform I think they over try on occasions which makes them look inept on the pitch they can’t handle the pressure where as the likes of shearer lee speed etc could if they replace the spine with key players Newcastle will be a totally different prospect but in the modern game getting said players while keeping wage structure in place is not always an easy task

• 8 banjax // Apr 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Why the surprise that our transfer targets are attracted to other clubs. Just look at how attractive a proposition we are, lack of ambition (to finish top ten) Gutless lazy performances which mean embarrassing defeats and score lines by teams who are worse than we are. Wages cap too low to attract the quality players we need. A penny pinching owner who sells our best prospects to make a buck. Finally a manger who shows the stupidity and violence of a thug – his ban causing lost matches and a betrayal of a proud club like Newcastle United in the eyes of the world. No wonder decent players don’t want to come here. Until all these things change our proud club will suffer more of the same !

• 9 avidfan // Apr 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I think us fans can be very fickle football is all about passion and being proud to wear the badge fighting for every ball throwing your body in the line of the opposition shots closing people down I remember asprilla dazzling defences at times but he wasn’t great in every match we just seem to have spells of team lapses not just one player but many you can carry one player having a bad day but when you have a few it tells I’d love to see passion in every match but until we have the spine of the team right it won’t happen

• 10 guvnor // Apr 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Diego Costa is more of a realistic option for the Arsenal.

• 11 wool22 // Apr 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Hi Im doing my dissertation at Northumbria on Football Clubs relationship with fans could i ask if you take 2 minutes to fill in this survey.

• 12 toonluvva // Apr 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Arsenal interested in Gomis.

Here’s something to help people during the transfer window.

TEAM in for PLAYER. Ashley unwilling to meet £N asking price.

You simply replace TEAM with whoever will sign our target PLAYER and N with the appropriate transfer fee.

See, it’s quite simple.