Newcastle Move For Top Toulouse Defender

Newcastle have today been linked with Toulouse defender Serge Aurier, who is only 21 and plays at right back, and maybe we are interested in this player in case top defender Mathieu Debuchy moves on in the summer to a club playing in the Champions League – like PSG for example.

Serge Aurier

Serge Aurier – 21 year-old Toulouse right back

Serge Aurier joined Toulouse from Lens in 2012, and this season he has made 31 appearances for the club, scored 5 goals and has 7 assists – and that’s not too bad for a full-back.

And at Lens he made his debt a month after turning 16 in January of 2009, in a Coupe de la Ligue match against Lorient, and finally played 55 times for the French club.

Aurier made his league debut for Toulouse in January of 2012 in a 1-0 win over Caen, and has since played 73 times for Toulouse with 7 goals and 12 assists – so here’s a defender who can actually score goals – that’s something our Newcastle strikers have trouble doing this year.

But Serge is also a top player in France at just 21, and he already has 7 full caps for the Ivory Coast. making his debut in June of last year against Gambia.

The report is in The Sun, and that Arsenal and Aston Villa are also interested, and that makes sense for Arsenal who will need to replace Bacary Sagna, who becomes a free agent in the summer and could join Manchester City.

If Arsenal are really interested in the right back, that would be really tough competition for Newcastle, but if the report is true that Newcastle are interested, then at least we are being linked with some very decent players so far.

What do you think?

• Ciaran

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Ed’s in speculation overdrive – I think I’ll bow out for today.

• Ian Toon

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Yippee!

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Another one for the list of possible signings that fail to materialise. It’s a new manager we need to bring the football tactics into the 21st century.

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Scatter all of the has beens like Coloccini Williamson Shola Benny Marveuax Obertan Amilfatano Gosling Anita Vuckic Cisse Saylor Raylor Santon Elliott all terrible along with old Pardew and the backroom staff.

• Average_Contents

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I keep getting visions of TDS with arms aloft, waving a spreadsheet around like a lunatic whilst berating his offspring for asking why it’s not a trophy that he’s delighted about! that’s if he’s actually managed to mate with the opposite sex before boring them into submission or quite possibly death.

Sorry I had to share it so others can enjoy it too 😉

• Average_Contents

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Did I say enjoy? Deary me, I obviously meant so I didn’t have to suffer alone 🙂

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM

@5 spot on!

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM

It’s a sign of how useless Pardew really is, when with games still to play Newcastle United have thrown the towel in for this season.

• mag

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Pardew will treat him the same way as Haidarra and Biggi!

• The next Mike Williamson

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I hope Tavernier gets a run at right-back. He’d be better than playing left sided centre backs there.

• martoon

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM

TDSarf might be a little extreme in his views but at least he tries to be positive – this doesn’t make him a NUFC stooge as some of you seem to think. Undoubtedly we are having a poor end to the season arguably because of the sale of Cabaye and the Remy & Debuchy injuries. However overall we have had an average season with some great away results and some bl**dy awful ones too. If we finish 9th I would consider that reasonable progress from 16th. Yes I want us to push on next season with some new signings so why all the doom & gloom?

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Let’s hope that a decent manager gets a chance at running the team and plodder gets the boot.

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM

9th is awful compared to 5th though but!

• guvnor

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

You purchase a season ticket only to find Plodder Pardew has ended the season in March, as far as competitive games are concerned.

• geordie157

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Aurier is good plays right back or centre back. Seen him twice for Toulouse and was impressed.

Hope we bring in some English talent in the summer ie caulker, lascelles, cousins, ince, etc

• wool22

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Hi Im doing my dissertation at Northumbria on Football Clubs relationship with fans could i ask if you take 2 minutes to fill in this survey.

• toon kk

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Martoon
    I think the worst thing that has got the majority of fans p…ed off, including myself is our latter form, it’s not acceptable for any premier league team, we’re playing some of the worst football I’ve ever seen. When we play its a matter of what well get beat by.
    Personally i think we fall to pieces when Remy is missing.
    People in general would be happier with mid table if we weren’t so sh.t at the moment.

• mindshaft

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Just goes to show how poor the prem league actually is that we are still 9th – our return from our last 14 games is pathetic

Played…..Home….Away………..GF….GA….Pts
    14…………..7…………7……………9……24…..13

We’ve managed losses to Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea and Southampton which were pretty much expected but to lose to WBA, Fulham, Sunderland and at home to Everton whilst only gaining a point at Norwich is hardly the stuff of dreams – I guess we should be glad we managed to beat the mighty Crystal Palace, Hull, WHU and Villa in that period

Not sure how people are expected not to whinge after spending around hard earned cash watching that drivel – you pay money to be entertained and at least have hope

• mag

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Most of the intelligent fans have formed the opinion that the club is being run for profit rather than entertainment.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM

No way can I keep up with all of those posts and reply properly to them. Every time I replied I got a reply back and someone else jumped into the mix…would prefer to talk about it down the pub anyway…

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM

martoon

I don’t think I have offered any extreme views to be honest. Surely the extreme views are being offered by those who are calling Ashley and Pardew all sorts of names. I haven’t seen anyone on here suggest that Pardew is a tactical genius or Ashley is the saviour of our club. Those are ridiculous extreme views. My views are actually just very realistic and balanced!

I’m not saying I’m 100% right in all matters, but I’m a damn sight closer to the right answers than some of these posts on here.

• BandB

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Saxonfenken,

It is amazing that you repeatedly disappear for months on end and then pop up to post views very similar to those of Ian Toon just moments before Ian Toon himself makes one of his rare appearances.
    Spooky, I’d call it.

• mindshaft

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Right, we’re all off down the pub then – sorry to the bairns who are too young to get in

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM

mag

You mean like virtually every single business and virtually every single football club. You’re dead right. Welcome to the modern world.

It’s not pretty or romantic but it is the real world. If you want to follow a club like NUFC used to be a few decades ago then you’ll have to follow a non-league team.

• BandB

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM

TDS,

Are you having fun?

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Average_Contents

It’s people like you who keep quoting things like how much we’ve spent on transfers, the SD sponsorship and how our commercial revenue has gone down. Perhaps you should refrain from commenting on things you know very little about and stick to the football?

You might know more about me about what makes a good left back but I don’t think you know more than me about business.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:51 PM

more THAN me

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM

BandB

Not sure…I’d prefer to be in the pub…

I guess I’m just fighting a losing battle to have a more positive attitude around my club. That is the attitude that drew me to supporting this club in the first place. At least the passion is still there, other fans would have drifted away when we got relegated but we were still getting high attendances. But it feels like some of the fans are saying they hate supporting NUFC but they keep being involved because they have nothing better to do or that’s just what their mates are doing…

• Thump

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I heard we were definitely interested in a footballer with at least one pair of feet and the ability to kick a ball in the general direction of a fellow player.

Heard it here first folks.

• BarnoldswickMag

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Thump

Haha

• BarnoldswickMag

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I really hope we land lacazette, he looks a great prospect, and of course, he is French. Perfect.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM

mindshaft

I swear…next time I’m up in Newcastle I will have to suggest meeting a few people from this blog for a pint just to find out if they say the same things in real life as they do on here. Much better to talk about things over a pint than a keyboard…

• BandB

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM

TDS,

I know.
    It sometimes seems to me too that you are fighting a one man campaign to get people to love the club as much as you do.
    You must be worn out.
    I’ve found there is only a certain amount new that can be said about the club at the moment.
    Which is why I think the arguments have grown stale and repetitive, and characterized by bad-temper leading to gratuitous insults.
    If I had the choice, it would be the pub.

• toon kk

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Tds
    I think on the whole people just crave the keegan days back, unfortunately they went along time ago. Kenny .D saw to that.

now MA runs the club as a business, I’m sure he set off with good intentions but things went pear shaped and we were relegated now it’s a matter of plod along.

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM

BandB

There are others who feel the same as I do. But I think perhaps they have less stamina when they are shouted down by a few loudmouths!

I don’t doubt that some of these miserable whingers love the club at least as much as I do, but then how do you define that? A man can love his wife and yet cheat on her or beat him up…for me, that’s not the right way to show your love to your wife but I bet he still feels that he loves his wife every bit as much as I love my girlfriend.

It’s the same thing about this club for me. I don’t get how so called fans are coming on here every day to slag off the owner, manager, coaches, players, pretty much anyone associated with the club just because they’re angry that we’re not getting the results they want.

• mag

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM

@23 how do Southampton manage to entertain and stay solvent at the same time you dunce? Its because they have a manager that knows what he’s doing Doh!

• mindshaft

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM

@TDS – yup, let me know when as I have to make my way up from Londinium – now just where are these streets paved wi gold like

• ToonDarnSarf

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM

toon kk

I think that’s fair. I’m not quite sure that we’re plodding along really though. I think we’re consolidating and the plan is to establish our club as a top 8/10 PL club before we can seriously think about attracting more investors and also higher quality players. We could offer first team football to a top 20 year old striker who might just join a top PL team on the verge of Europe over a CL team and sit on the bench. I think that’s where we should be next.

KK days are long gone as you say…as are the SBR days unless Mourinho promised SBR that he’d take over NUFC at some point in his career! Our two golden eras of the last few decades have been with massive investment (relatively speaking) and then one of the best managers in the world. Neither of which we should expect again any time soon…

• Average_Contents

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Tds

Before you accuse people of talking rubbish you might want to actually read posts correctly!

I have never once posted how much we have spent on transfers just the lack of, nor have I claimed to be a business genius quite the contrary in fact I believe I said as much in an earlier post! Again read them correctly before jumping to conclusions and stating it as if I did! Is it not so that commercial revenue has dropped? In that case is it a fact? I do believe it is unless my math skill is somewhat below average and as far as your superior business skills go, how up yourself do you have to be to state that lol sad little man crack on and believe what you want if that makes you happy which it Clearly does
    does

I’d go as far to say that you are as bad if not worse than fatty and pardspew for believing the bullshit that they spin

If you don’t like my posts why read them you halfwit deadbeat

• andrew84

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:14 PM

TDS

A valid point regarding the wifebeating (if a little bit contrived, no offence). Can you not also apply the same logic the other way round – the fans who pay through the nose year after year after year, only to be kept in the dark by the owner regarding the direction of the club, fed b*llsh*t on a regular basis from Pardew (similar to a husband saying to his wife that he’ll be home in time for dinner while he’s actually busy fondling his secretary), or have to put up with infuriating decisions, such as having JFK for a DOF and refusing to participate in the cups.

Just a thought. But maybe that’s just me being a miserable whinger 😉

1 2 3 7