The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

More Bad News For Newcastle

1:42 pm, Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Newcastle got very few injuries at the beginning of the season, but at the moment we have Mathieu Debuchy, Loic Remy and Tim Krul out with injury, and now more bad news that Moussa Sissoko is going to be out for two to three weeks with a thigh injury.

moussa sissoko hull goal

Moussa Sissoko – out with a thigh injury

The 24 year-old tweeted the news this morning, with a picture of himself back in the France National Football Center at  Clairefontaine in France, just west of Paris.

Moussa has played a lot of games for Newcastle this season, 35 in all,  and he has scored 3 goals and six assists, and this is more bad news for a Newcastle side that is almost in crisis because of their very poor form and seemingly no motivation.

And in particular the inability of our players to create chances and score goals in the last several games.

Newcastle have only six games left, so that’s 18 points to play for, and it looks like Sissoko could miss half those games, as he tries to get fit.

And we have to remember that players like Debuchy, Remy and Sissoko are hoping to be in the France squad for the World Cup in Brazil, and will want to ensure they are fully fit before they return to the Newcastle side.

In the four games Alan Pardew has been banned so far – there are still three games to go – Newcastle  have scored only one goal and have lost three games, and we expect an update from Alan Pardew at his press conference today or the Manchester United home game on Saturday.

We’re not too sure who will come in on the right wing on Saturday, but it probably will not be Hatem Ben Arfa, who was hauled off at half time last Saturday at Southampton, but he was no worse than many other Newcastle players on that day of disgrace.

We’d like to see Ben Arfa back in the side, especially since the game is at home.

Newcastle need to put in a very good performance on Saturday to convince the fans they have not given up on the season,  which certainly looked the case last Saturday, and it was one of the most inept displays seen from a Newcastle side for a long time.

Hopefully the only way to go now is up.

Unfortunately, after this article was put out – Alan Pardew in his news conference said that Loic Remy would also not be fit for Saturday’s game. :(

Tags: Injuries · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Apr 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Is the “bad” really needed? Doesn’t this just fall under “news” for Newcastle? Sigh.

Whilst I am gloomy about our performances and squad, well, most things NUFC since the turn of the year, Man United haven’t exactly been doing too wonderfully either, so this is a tough one to call.

Although I still have no idea how we’re going to score a goal, so here’s hoping for a solid defensive display.

In other news, a pig just flew past my window.

• 2 Ancientcoptic // Apr 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I am hoping to see Anita dropped for Man Utd.

He has no business playing so high up the pitch, he looks like a midget chasing the ball against opposition centre-backs, and I have seen very little tracking back from him… he could be under instructions to stay high up the pitch, which I would not mind if he contributed anything going forward.

I would not want to see Anita playing beside Tiote, as I have said before, I don’t believe Tiote needs a defensive midfield partner, they just get in his way… Tiote can marshall his zone without help.

Marveaux looks more composed with the ball to me… and based on the last few games I have seen, Anita has not exactly been busting a gut to get back when we are being attacked. If we are going to afford a player luxuries like that, we have a others better designed for the task.

I know Anita has his fans on here… but after being very patient and giving him time, I just do not have faith in him. I firmly believe that players under a certain height need to have an exceptional talent, which Anita just does not have. Perhaps he could play at right back? he has played full back in the past, and Mbiwa should be reserved as a center-back and center back-only.

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Shame about Sissoko, one of only a few players for us that offers any sort of goal threat at the moment.

As far as Willo goes it helps to have reliable players that you know will be a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. Willo isn’t your man for the amazing saving tackles or goal-line clearances like Saylor or Bramble, but neither is he just as likely to switch off and give away a penalty or mess up a backpass. Let Colo take charge of distribution from defence and let Willo just do the dirty stuff, I’m happy with that. Not in the same class, but Willo is to Vidic what Colo is to Ferdinand.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Apr 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Just seen IanToons post regarding Ashley not getting his bonus from SD this year.

I was feeling really sorry for him and then thought with all this TV money coming in this summer, perhaps he can pay back some of that loan he paid to the club?

I hate the idea of him being left short, I mean, he needs to start planning for his summer holidays and everything.

I think I speak for everyone on here when I say that I hope he doesn’t even contemplate spending any of it on new players for the team.

We’ll be okay. With no thought on cups etc next season, I’m sure we’ll just about be able to avoid relegation without spending any money this summer. If I’m wrong, we always have January and Mike could maybe just lend us a few quid back then?

We could also stop paying scouts for a while, wouldn’t need to look in to a proper DOF. Every little helps.

Mikey, we’re all in this with you mate!

• 5 Ancientcoptic // Apr 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I am not overly concerned about Sissoko being out. Taking into account our position in the league, and our current form, what is left of the season is farcical.

We know Sissoko will be starting as our right winger next season. With Sissoko out, maybe a few others could get a chance. I am not sure if Armstrong is available, but if so, then I would be happy to see some of our regulars out, for a few fresh faces… what having nothing to lose, and stand to possibly gain.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Apr 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Ancient…I’d need to look back, but there was a period earlier in the season where Anita was getting the MOTM poll each game. Maybe it’s more about the, ermmm…”system”, we play.

I think he’s a tidy little player.

However, with Debuchy out, I would be happy to see Anita at RB. Thought he did fairly well when put there the other week, mind, that wasn’t hard after MBiwa’s attempt.

• 7 Ancientcoptic // Apr 3, 2014 at 2:01 PM

“It would have paid out in July 2018 for Mr Ashley, who currently receives no salary or bonus from Sports Direct, which he founded in 1982.

The company now plans to seek approval for a new share bonus scheme to be voted on at Sports Direct’s annual general meeting in September.

If approved, the scheme would grant 25 million ordinary shares to participants, including Mr Ashley, if earnings targets for 2016-19 were met.”

Ashley isn’t out of pocket yet.

• 8 guvnor // Apr 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

They’re all crying off with injuries they’ve thrown the towel in just like the management.

• 9 Ancientcoptic // Apr 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

If Ashley is on incentives… getting a big bonus if sales figures are met for SD, he will be using his favourite promotional tool to full effect… until at least 2019. (Makes you wonder if he really would consider selling the club)

• 10 Ibizatoon // Apr 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Ancient…I’m sure it will have some impact on his cash flow :)

• 11 guvnor // Apr 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Most of the players don’t deserve to be at a club like Newcastle United the manager and the owner certainly don’t.

previous post: Is This Newcastle’s Most Consistent Player This Season?

next post: Loic Remy To Miss Manchester United Game