The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ryan Taylor Hopefully Back For Pre-Season – Update

9:55 am, Friday, April 4th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 186 Comments

Newcastle United utility player Ryan Taylor is hoping to be back playing when Newcastle begin their pre-season training ion early July, after Ryan has suffered two ACL knee injuries in quick succession, and the first of these was picked up in the home game against Atromitos in the Europa League on August 30th two years ago.

ryan taylor injured right knee

Ryan Taylor – after suffering first ACL knee injury

The 29-year-old has missed almost two full seasons, but he is now in a position when he can start some light training, but the Newcastle medics and coaches will be very careful with him, after what happened last April when he picked up his second anterior cruciate ligament injury, while training at Benton.

Here is Ryan’s twitter account and he’s made some positive tweets in the last day about how he’s slowly but surely coming back, and it seems he’s been doing some work in the swimming pool, getting the strength back in that knee.

Ryan has one year left on his contract come June, so if he can get himself fit he can then prove he should be given another contract at the club, so in that sense he still has everything to play for.

Maybe you can send Ryan a positive tweet, and let him know we are thinking about him, and wishing him all the best, and that he can come back and play again next season for Newcastle.

Ryan joined Newcastle from Wigan in January of 2009, and has so far played 91 times with 10 goals for Newcastle, and he can actually score goals from free-kicks – something we desperately need now that Yohan Cabaye has moved on.

We need him – a player who can actually score a goal against Sunderland – and it will be like having a new player next season.

Let him know the fans care about him. :D

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · Injuries · Premier League · Ryan Taylor

186 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rainrix // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Like a new signing?

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Ryan “over the wall” Taylor, shame he’s injured, really needed him lately, would never of got such a gutless performance from him
    On the plus side apparently he’s taken a real interest in the U21 side and has been fantastic with them since he’s been back in the gym devoting many many hours into the youth team

• 3 Graeme // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Without a doubt – if he’s fit, that one less to buy. Crazy planning, but that can’t be any shock to a NUFC fan lol.
    He could well be one of the few to make it “Over the line”!!!

• 4 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM

On a side note, how the hell have the scum got away with just a fine and no points deduction for fielding an ineligable player in 5 bloody games!

• 5 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I’d guess by now that he’s just too slow to play In the premier league. He wasn’t fast before either. I think he might have been out too long to make any real contribution to the side next year. Would like to see him take up under 21′s coaching though In future as he seems to have a passion for it which is fantastic.

I heard on the sky sports paper talk page that Pardew had dismissed the notion of having players refund tickets for the Southampton game? Anyone got a link to this or heard about it? I despise the bloke more as the days go by.

• 6 beermonkey // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM

tads

dunno other teams have had points deducted for the same offence I believe, if that’s right I would expect all those in danger to start complaining

• 7 lesh // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM

toonarmydownsouth and re Slsnd getting off so lightly, could it be that Sunderland’s not Newcastle United?

Just a thought

• 8 lesh // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Aye Rainrix, Taylor’ll be the first of the summer’s additions to the squad!

• 9 beermonkey // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Geremi’s Prosthetic Leg Fund

that’s his answer
    its all in the this mornings thread of thing can only get worse or something like that

“The answer to a performance like that is putting in a display the following game.” “I’m not urging anything other than my players putting in a better performance.”

• 10 Average_Contents // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Gerami

He got asked the question “Norwich City players refunded their travelling fans for their below par performance, do you think the Newcastle players should do something similar”

He basically dodged the question and said we need to prove to the fans our dedication on the the pitch with a result on Saturday

Then said manure are clear favourites for the game! Also there’s a question mark hanging over manure for their poor league form! Why not just do their team talk for them puppet!

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Beermonkey/lesh
    This was only a couple of weeks ago!

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:34 AM

The thing that most amazes me about the Sunderland story is that the player involved, Ji Dong Won, is set to join Dortmund in the Summer!!!

• 13 toon kk // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM

We should just play the kids, we would probably
    Get beat but at least they would try.

• 14 beermonkey // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM

tads

cant believe they not lost points when west ham were found guilty of playing tevez when he wasn’t owned by the club think the only got a fine
    was it sheffeild that went down they sued west ham for around 30mill
    so that and the one last week I dunno what the fa’s excuse is for not deducting them 3 points min

iam sure the bottom clubs have there lawyers on it

• 15 Phatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM

It’s crazy that they just get a fine…

Ignoring the fact it’s Sunderland. That means any team with money can just play any old player as long as they can afford the fine. It’s no detterent.

• 16 Phatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

*deterrent

• 17 AMEOBI // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Brilliant he’s the player I love in the starting line up. If we keep hold of Cheik we should definitely play Taylor alongside him in CM. I think next season will be great.

• 18 toon kk // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I forcast a 0-3 loss at our probably correctly named O3 oreana.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Some will be happy to hear this and some not so. But just thought I’d say that I’m not going to bother with this blog for a while (sorry Ed!) I’m tired of the negativity and, living down south, the whole point of me coming on this blog was to tap into the passion and positivity that made me support NUFC and that I felt when living in Newcastle. These days, most of the posts on here are whinging because we’re not doing as well as we’d like.

I’m all for criticising the running of the club, and we all know there have been some cock-ups but I think many fans on here either don’t know or have forgotten what it is to be a fan of NUFC.

Read the SBR quote on this very page, “What is a club in any case?”

“Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.”

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.”

“It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

That’s why I’m a fan of NUFC and no stupid choices for DoF, tacky sponsors or even relegation to the conference would change that as long as the spirit of NUFC stays. It’s the fans than maintain the spirit of NUFC and if you abandon it then the club truly is lost.

Maybe I’ll come back after the summer if I think this blog might be a happier place…

Howay the lads!

• 20 Phatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Bye TDS

• 21 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Raylor another very average player who should be moving on along with the management.

• 22 toon kk // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Tds
    its a shame you feel like that, I admit there’s a lot of negatively on here. But I’m afraid the club has brought this on themselves. You just need to go into SJP to realise alot of atmosphere has gone. Stick with the blog I go through stages where I can’t be bothered any more.
    Fans have gone through a lot a this club over the last few years.
    Personally I find your views interesting.

• 23 Average_Contents // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Awwwwww that’s cute TDS

Speak soon ;)

• 24 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Thanks Phatoon

toon kk – read my post again. The club IS the fans as far as I’m concerned. If the company went bankrupt, all our players were sold and SJP was turned into flats, if the same fans I remember turned up at a park to watch 7th tier football then that is still the club I support. If fans abandon the club, they are abandoning each other and it spoils the club for those of us who value the spirit at NUFC above the details.

• 25 Bambams // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM

You know what stands out lately ? Everyone is talking about how terrible all at Newcastle is.

I remember the Stan Seymour days of negativity…The Gordon McKeag share floats when he would not spend a penny. … We were then saved by Sir John (yes I know he took his money and made a profit but nobody else wanted to put money in and its still the best I have ever known at the Park) who did spend and showed a genuine ambition…. Then Freddy became a bit reckless but still wanted a good team.
    But these days even the kids in the parks know Ashley wont spend and Pards is useless.
    I dont know anyone who thinks there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Sad times.
    imo

• 26 Mister Tuff // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM

TDS – if you introduced an element of flexibility into your thought processes – you would not get so much grief as you do. There are some interesting articles about “the flexible mind” on the internet or read up a bit on Zen Buddism -to get the gist of my point. I’m not intending to be patronising but genuinely helpful. If you adhere to your suggestion of a self imposed exile it will be an unfortunate decision as I won’t have the opportunity to whoop your ass, again, in the debates.
    Be flexible.

• 27 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Mackems dodging points deduction
    Hartlepool are not happy – in 2010 docked 3 points fined £10,000 for fielding Gary Liddle.
    Pool player Sam Collins branded decision ‘double standards’ on twitter

• 28 toon kk // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Tds
    I don’t think the fans will ever abandon the club,
    if MA shows some ambition in the next transfer window you’ll be surprised how people’s attitudes will change. I know MA sees the club as a business but if he cared more about the fans than his own bank balance would be a great start.

• 29 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

TDS that’s your choice to leave. I am not encouraging you and would prefer to hear your opinions, whether I agree or not, instead of not at all. Football is about the fans, and all fans have difference in opinions.

It’s all fine and well using the blog to get a fans’ viewpoint (except mag / guvnor, they’re clearly teenage tools), but when you say stuff like:

“These days, most of the posts on here are whinging because we’re not doing as well as we’d like.”

I do honestly wonder where you would “like” us to be? I get the whole realism of the concept; false positions etc. So maybe 9th is a deserved position at this point in time. Would you not agree though we’ve devalued our club through being dwarfed in commercial revenue, failing to attain Cat 1 status for the academy, failing to appoint a progressive DOF and manager and failing to invest at a time when we could have established momentum to compete for top 6? If you do agree, then you will agree it’s all because of Ashley – and in such a case, why shouldn’t we whinge? After all, he’s the guy who should be doing these things.

• 30 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM

toon kk

You’re still missing my point and this is why I’m not going to bother any more. Supporting NUFC has nothing to do with the amount of ambition that MA shows in signing players.

Read Bambams’ post.

It’s the fans who make the club and the fans who are making it miserable to support the club right now. If I go into self-imposed exile then maybe I can go back to enjoying the odd good win, odd exceptional goal and seeing a youth player break through.

• 31 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM

TDSarf…Whilst I understand your reasoning for wanting to take a break, I do find your position to be a little hopeless.

What is it you think fans should do? Simply not care about a lack of ambition?

Just turn up week after week and simply pretend everything is wonderful?

The negativity has increased based on the actions of the club, I’m not sure how you can point the finger at the fans on this one tbh.

The club needs a shake up, something has to give for matters to improve. Until that point, we’ll be going round and round in circles. That’s good enough reason to take a break from the blog imo.

Either way, I hope you keep well and i have no doubt that we’ll be speaking again in the future.

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

AndyNUFC

I’m not going to get into a debate on all that because I’m done with it. I want us to be doing better too, I want to get paid more in my job, I want my girlfriend to tidy the house more often and to add more flavour to her cooking. But I’m not whinging about all of that either.

• 33 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

TeDiouS aka Mr Harding aka Mark aka Marky-poo

Truly wonderful news that you’re leaving the blog. I dislike it when regular posters leave the blog for whatever reason, but in your case I genuinely hope that you never come back you horrible little man.

• 34 Average_Contents // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

The odd good win, odd exceptional goal! That just sums up what is wrong with being happy about mediocrity!

Goodbye and good luck, don’t let the spreadsheets hit you on the way out :)

• 35 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Ibiza

I want to see change and progress at the club as much as the next fan but considering we were relegated a few seasons ago, I can see the progress, can’t you?

I’d like to see better decisions made too (DoF, Wonga, letting Cabaye go without replacement etc.) but that doesn’t mean that every single decision that anyone at NUFC makes is to be interpreted in a negative way and subject to insults.

We’re missing a charming spokesman who really gets the fans. But that’s just PR really. We’ve gone from 16th to 9th and that isn’t showing progress to some people…and you wonder why I despair?

• 36 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Well funny that TDS because you compared whingers of NUFC to lads who love their lasses but beat them up… bit of passive aggressiveness coming through there perhaps?!

Wor lass cooks some lovely grub and scrubs the house up well – guess NUFC is the only place I can whinge about something.

• 37 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

6’5″ and 15st little, you angry little midget…

• 38 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:36 AM

By the way just want to say Ciaran, I know we’ve disagreed many-a-time and had some heated debates, but I must give you your credit getting elected to the NUST board (is that the one? Few kicking about, forgive me if not).

• 39 Average_Contents // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

You still here?

Wow!

Quick duck, them spreadsheets are flying around with a mind of there own ;)

• 40 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

TDS how small is a “little midget”?

• 41 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

TDSarf…We’re getting in to a debate here :)

Under Ashley we’ve finished mid-table, relegated, promoted in 1st (Championship), mid table, 5th, near relegation and then back to mid-table this season.

Progress or reckless?

“We’re missing a charming spokesman who really gets the fans”

Imo, what we’re missing is a club that actually cares about the fans.

Anyway, until next time.

• 42 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

TDS
    The passion? You’ve mocked many fans for showing passion and letting there emotions cloud there logic
    You’ve also blamed the fans from day one

Blaming the fans is an utter disgrace, they still pay there money to see the club week in week out and have every right to voice there opinions no matter if that be positive negative or simply accepting the situation and going with the flow

If your happy to just settle that’s your choice, but don’t mock others for not sharing your view or caution

Out of interest why when people are leaving the blog why leave a little goodbye note?

• 43 Average_Contents // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Andy

I think they would be called pigmies which are about 1 foot f all and a half, stood on a box on top of mount everest ;)

• 44 Mister Tuff // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

TDS – 6’5″ is that in your stocking feet or do you wear Cuban heels?

• 45 toon kk // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Tds
    your missing my point, fans do keep supporting the club through thick and thin but at the moment we’re playing rubbish so people start moaning, which is only natural. Not long ago when we were playing better everyone felt much happier.
    When we are getting hammered it all falls back on the owner and the manager, that’s why managers get sacked, people want success.

• 46 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Ibiza

And our average points total in the PL is 55 points. That include KK’s time, SBR’s time and obviously MA’s time. It also includes a time when City and Chelski were not mega-rich.

Just think about that when people are saying that we’re having an horrendous season.

Cheerio.

• 47 ToonDarnSarf // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Not getting into any debates. See you all on the flip side…maybe…

• 48 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I see Mr Harding is milking this ‘goodbye’ for all its worth

Andy

Appreciate it Andy, thanks. Yeah it’s the NUST board that I got elected to. As far as I see it, whether I agree or disagree with someone, whether they take steps to do something, anything, positive for the club, they’re OK in my book, and that’s all I am trying to do.

• 49 Average_Contents // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Oiiiii ed

Not letting my comment on! I was only replying to andynufc regarding the stature of a “small” midget! Nasty!

Anyway I believe they are similar size to a pigmie which were around a foot and fcuk all and a half bearing in mind when they were measured they were in fact stood atop a box on top of a mountain

• 50 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM

TDSarf…I don’t think anyone is upset with our league position too much. Granted it can be argued we could / should have finished a bit higher. Results wise, overall we had a really good first half to the season, the second half however has been truly appalling.

It’s the style of our play.
    It’s the clear lack of ambition from the club to do anything other than achieve the minimum.
    It’s the constant misdirection from all at the club who do speak.

Other than the fact it’s Newcastle United, I don’t see where the fans are supposed to rally this undying positivity you speak of. The fans feel let down and there is certainly enough reason to back that up.

It’s clear the fans care or they would have simply given up a long time ago or started “supporting” another team. That’s not the case.

• 51 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

That’s the second time he’s called me an angry midget…I’m 5 ft 11, surely that’s not sufficient to qualify for ‘small man syndrome’ which he clearly thinks I suffer from.

Also, throwing in your height and weight only makes you seem even more aggressive, as if you’re trying to intimidate me Mark – it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog – you’d do well to remember that little boy ;)

• 52 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Also e-mailed Ed about another breaking relevant news story regarding Newcastle United but no doubt he’s in the midst of how we’re in for some young French kid…

If you’re out and about tomorrow, keep an eye out for the open-top bus for our accounts and give them a wave.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ciaran…Wasn’t it the NUAMWT that you have joined?

• 54 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

As always spectacularly missing the point.

People always really enjoyed watching KK and SBR teams.

There was an amazing pre-match buzz that is non-existent today with a Pardew team

Results were important of course but so was the fact that the spectacle we were witnessing was actually ” ENTERTAINMENT ”

Having said that, KK also got a 3rd and effectively 2 x second places while SBR got 3rd, 4th and 5th in consecutive seasons all while playing eye catching and mouth watering football. Get in with those mixed metaphors!

• 55 mindshaft // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Ready made replacement for when Debuchy leaves so no need for fatty to spend any cash

• 56 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Nufta Andy do you know anything about football? As you like to flap about like the blogs little old woman tittle tattle seems to be your stock and trade you really should get out and about more.

• 57 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Nice to have people on this blog like yourself Ciaran, it’s clear to see how eager you are to get a change, compared to Mr placidly passive TDS.

• 58 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Ibiza

Do I want to know what that acronym supposedly stands for? haha

• 59 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Guvnor what tittle tattle is that?

• 60 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

tbf the blog is for all fans negative / positive and all inbetween no point in have an all possitive or all negative as i would be far too boring.

if its too negative like you say then debate the good things so that others can see its not all doom and gloom ! if they wanna listen they will if they dont its there choice but think any “fan” will not want to be negative about the team and only want to better it wether it be moaning about pards / ashley / players or trying to motivate a crowd to cheer the team on.

• 61 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

– - – - – - – - – - -

I’ve heard it all. Control freak or what. Do people like you really still exist in the 21st century? Could you not cook a meal yourself or occasionally run a hoover round? Wait till Bandb hears about this.

So now as well as calling people d–ks and idiots, you are also insulting the vertically challenged !

• 62 doorknob // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

@#47

Oh really? I remember a time when ur main
    account got banned cause u were advertising
    ur own blog and talking sh*t about EDs?

In my opinion, this blog and ED, are doing something
    positive for nufc. Bringing fans together.

Thanks for your positive contributions to this blog TDS,
    it will not be the same without you!

• 63 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Ciaran that link doesn’t work and when trying http://www.nust.org.uk I seem just to get some random domain page?

• 64 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Andy

I am sure there are plenty who would disagree with you on that score Andy, but I do appreciate the sentiment. I do come out with a lot of pomp and bluster, but I try and back it up with some action on my own behalf to give myself a little credibility.

There’s nothing I’d love more than to be able to go to SJP and complain about tactics, team selection, subs, performances etc but Mike Ashley has made that impossible for me, so I’ll do my own little bit, if we all did that we’d be amazed at what we could achieve.

• 65 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Newcastle United Angry Midget Whingers Trust…duh!

Andy…The link worked for me.

• 66 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Your patter is lifting heated debate as soon as you show you up for the mug you are straight on to ed complaining your feelings are hurt clown.

• 67 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I never got banned from Ed’s blog, it would be one less hit for him, and it’s all about the hits ;)

Andy

The link works for me so I don’t know what’s wrong, also the NUST link works for me as well so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

• 68 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM

@61 I pulled Ciaran on that as well. But that was sour grapes on my part – I don’t particularly agree with the way Ciaran criticises Ed, and yes he has own blog / news content / agenda to push – but he’s more than entitled to when Ed’s blog allows a link, it’s freedom of speech, and writers should be given constructive criticism.

You’re right in that this blog pulls people together and I love the energy in the comments (except gayluvnor and gaymag, teenage mutant whinger tools). However I would appreciate a scathing report on some political / economic aspects of the current state of the club and left to prosper for a good half a day sometimes…

• 69 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Ibiza

Ah, I should have known. Well I am the honorary life president of that particular organisation but we’re having a little trouble getting it off the ground as we’re short of numbers but I’m confident we can get it going, even though it looks like it could be a tall order ;)

• 70 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

@53 rotonda

personally in the last 1/4 of the season when we was 13 points clear at the prem i did not enjoy watching the team throw game after game away while looking unmotivated and uninterested and the same could be said in a few sbr games also ! (just so we dont all think everything under sbr and keegan was all sqeeky clean)

those two also (esp keegan) made a fair few mistakes and if honest selling cole / ferdinand while on there top of there game was a huge downside to me (even though shearer was bought in some time later)

• 71 aidytoon9 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Ciaran
    It’s nice to see groups/ supporters doing something about the situation we are in at the moment as almost everyone believes that Mike hasn’t got fans or the clubs progression at heart.
    Yes will still be 50’000 at Man U game but I can now see people changing heart.
    I for one now won’t go back until he is gone as much as it breaks my heart.
    I feel the tide is slowly turning and he will sell the club.

• 72 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Ciaran…”A tall order” ho ho :)

Keep on going, it’s just a case of small steps buddy.

• 73 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Aidy

I for one would never tell anyone to stay away from the games, because it’s a personal choice for many people, but I would encourage people to think about how they spend their money where the club is concerned and ask whether they are getting their money’s worth.

It is sad that so many people are deciding to stay away – I myself am born and bred in Ireland and I moved here to be closer to the football club I love, yet I refuse to go to SJP despite the fact there is nothing I would love more.

I agree that there does seem to be an ever shifting tide with regards to Mike Ashley but we all still need to keep plugging away and chipping away at the facade to try and convince everyone that he is no good for our people, our region, our community or our club.

It’s seemingly a never-ending battle, but one worth fighting.

• 74 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Guvnor are you doing grammar at school yet or still colouring in pictures with crayons? Yes, colouring pictures (not eating crayons).

• 75 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Ibiza

I know, sometimes I crack myself up haha

Well I can take nothing but small steps, but I look up to all the people who were in my position before, and I think to myself, ‘wow I’ve got some big shoes to fill…size 5s!’

• 76 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Good by Darn Sarf

Hopefully by the time you come back you may have learned a bit about football and also when someone tries to have a civil debate with you and you don’t like the answer you might stop with the petty insults …

• 77 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

That’s original Andy straight out of short trousers insults from the mind of the moron who thinks Coloccini is a great player.

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Croftus,
    Dalglish sold Ferdinand, and Shearer was brought in while Ferdinand was still here.

• 79 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM

@70 aidy

i’m not fussed at ashley selling i would rather he just changed his ways and let the club spend the money it earns thats all i would ask of it !

i went in a sulk and have not been to any 1st team games since we sold cabaye (not that we have missed him that much imo) but not the point in my eyes as we have not shown ambition.

i still watch u18′s / u21′s when possible but only televised 1st team games and that will continue until the transfer window is closed and i can see if he wants us to do better or wether i have to carry on my personal strike to try and hurt him in the little way i can.

• 80 Ibizatoon // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Ciaran…Small man syndrome jokes aside…will you be sunning yourself on the open bus tour tomorrow?

If nothing else, it’s a funny idea.

• 81 Mister Tuff // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM

who is doorknob -cannot recall his posts previously – in fact never. I have to suggest therefore another multiple poster who does not have the cojones to post under their original name. Sad.

• 82 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

@77 lilong

i know ferdinand was buddy it was just example of selling our best players at top of there game to prove its not just now that its happening and only pards making mistakes.

• 83 aidytoon9 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Ciaran
    I have been going for the past 30 years and now take my son like my dad did with me.But I get the feeling now that he is taking peoples eyes out as and feel we are being cheated.
    Yes we are safe/ not in relegation trouble but I want more.
    Not saying let’s win the league or anything just have a proper plan we can buy into.
    We want to see entertainment and enjoy ourselves.

• 84 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

No wonder Ashley treats the fans with utter contempt when the likes of @73 are about.

• 85 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Guvnor has a bit of a complex about people’s minds. He has called me slag for someone with a mental disability before and is referring to my brain capability again.

Funny, coming from someone who has to create 2 accounts just to back up themselves.

Sad, very sad.

• 86 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM

*slang.

Oh and gayluvnor is a moron.

• 87 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Croftus,
    Oh, okay. To be fair, we have always been a selling club, ever since I can remember. Most clubs will always lose their best players to a handful of teams, it is just natural.

• 88 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

@86 lilong

yep very true and i dont think much chance of us getting an abramovic any time soon to change things either.

• 89 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Adult education classes may prove beneficial Andy.

• 90 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Ibiza

I may be on the open-top bus. It should be a good laugh. I just hope people take both the humour that is intended as well as understand the serious point that is being made.

Aidy

That’s a shame that not only is Ashley forcing you to step away from the club, but he is tramping on what was a family tradition for you for years.

He won’t be here forever, and I for one am looking to the massive region-wide party we’ll be having when he eventually leaves!

• 91 aidytoon9 // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Croftus

I just think mike has blown loads of chances/ opportunities to progress this club.
    To be fair I haven’t watched much under 18s or 21s, and good prospects? Apart form arma etc.

• 92 lesh // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Ciaran….. Still as prolific as ever churning out post after post.

How do you manage your time being a student, a creative genius an agitator for change at the Club, being the owner of your own blog site and having a life?

How often do you focus your creative talents on creating blogs for your own site?

• 93 beermonkey // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Ciaran

what will you be doin on the bus
    and what will be going on around or are you just gonna run over man u fans for fun

• 94 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Lesh

You fixate on me on quite a bit, it’s unhealthy.

• 95 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Beermonkey

You can read about the open-top bus parade here and make up your own mind about what its purpose is.

• 96 lesh // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Ciaran, you really should he on the top-deck of the bus, at the front so that the world at large, your adoring public can be given the opportunity of catching a glimpse of their hero.

Control your modesty and be fair to your fans!

• 97 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Lesh

So you object to the fact that I’m involved with certain fans groups and decide to talk about it here? Now that just seems petty.

• 98 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Lesh so what would you like to see change at Newcastle United apart from the strip?

• 99 AndyNUFC // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Gayluvnor how many other club’s blogs think you’re a fan of their’s or how many think you’re a tool?

Or do you just come on here because you’re a mackem troll tool mutant gaymag crossover?

• 100 joeinthecheapseats // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Heard a lite rumour that a certain central midfielder out of contract on wear side hasn’t been playing for them because he is coming to NUFC in the summer on a pre contract agreement
    Was hoping Ashley May have learnt a lesson and decided to stump up some funds in the next window

• 101 Ancientcoptic // Apr 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

DownSarf “Supporting NUFC has nothing to do with the amount of ambition that MA shows in signing players.”

Can I just make the point that you are correct. Which is why we support NUFC and not Mike Ashley… you can support/be a fan of the club, without supporting Ashley or even Pardew if that is what you want for your club.

We will be supporting this club long after they are gone.

Most of us are not going to be happy when we are pulling 13 points from 14 games. And two wins from that series of 14 games coming from injury time goals.

It is not progress to be back in the Premier League under Ashley, when it was his mistakes that got us relegated in the first place… I remember a club fighting at the top of the table before Ashley.

It is good that you can support the club in its current climate.

Some of us see the club ending the season in relegation form, with a relegation battle on the horizon next season. It appears unlikely we are going to sign anywhere near as much cover as we need, especially with a lot of players ready to leave the club in the summer.

If some section of fans want to pull together, remain positive and chow that down… I am not going to discourage you, loyalty is a good thing.

Some of us believe tolerance for inferiority and lack of ambition only serves to empower it. We are not asking to be a top 4 club, but we do want to see the club having a direction and at least acting like its size & stature.

Anyways… if you are going on sabbatical, good luck. Hopefully things will improve, and we will not have to fight as much amongst ourselves.

• 102 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM

@98 how succinctly put by a cretin. But I’m not going to bandy insults with a low life as I’ll have stoop to your level and then you’d have the advantage on me.

• 103 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Ciaran regarding your opposition to the tyrant Ashley, the man has to be brought to book for his scandalous dereliction of duty towards Newcastle United and its fan base.

• 104 aidytoon9 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM

People like abit bitch on on here like.
    Anyways how many we going to win by against Man U?

• 105 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM

anyway, what a defender James Tomkins is turning out to be… has been rock solid and consistent all season for West Ham.

Hope we go in for him. And he’s English.

• 106 aidytoon9 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Ilovetoon

Yes he is doing canny this season but have never rated him in the past and he does pick up quite a few injuries.
    Think we could do better.

• 107 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:21 PM

As it was back in 1927 when Newcastle United last completed a double over Manchester United the omens don’t look to good, especially when Pardew is in charge and Remys out.

• 108 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM

@aidytoon9 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

He’s been ever present for West Ham though aside from a few injuries here and there nothing serious. Started atleast 25 games this season which is not too bad.

He’s been one of the most underrated defender this season though because of the way West Ham is performing as a club.

But he has been excellent and we have been linked with him in the past. His performance this season is consistently better than any other centre back from our club this season.

• 109 guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

James Tompkins a younger Williamson terrible.

• 110 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

@guvnor // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

shows how much west ham games you have been watching.

if not for him west ham would be rock bottom. his individual performance this season is better than any of centre backs.

pardew wants english players and he’s generally low profile and his rock solid performance is going about unnoticed. he may not even command high fees and we can’t go wrong with him.

if tomkins was playing for a club like everton or southampton, he’ll be flying to brazil no doubt.

• 111 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Tomkins is better than Willo , Taylor , Mbiwa and Colo at the moment can play the ball on the deck and can score from a set piece ! When I watched West Ham against Sunderland the other week I actually wished we could defend like that everyone was throwing bodies in front of shots and pressing all over we hardly ever do that to be honest

Its doubtful we could even sign him anyway as West Ham will want too much and I doubt he will want to leave London to come to the Toon anyway!

Caulker would be a decent option anyway

@Joe Cheap Seats

Which midfielder are you talking about?? Not really sure of the contractual situation of their players are you talking about Colback?

• 112 doorknob // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM

@80

Nope, I don’t have another account. I don’t know
    how I would go about proving that though!

• 113 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM

@santonthenewmaldini // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM

very true. West ham are very hard to break down when Tomkins is playing at the back. He marshalls the defence extremely well even with the piss poor Demel and Collins as his partner.

He’s very vocal and usually his mates poor positioning lets him down. And why would he command high fees? His performance have largely gone unnoticed until recently when pundits are beginning to notice only after a couple of west ham wins.

we may get him for less than 4 million and with players like Santon and Debuchy beside him he might be knocking on England doors if he joins us.

• 114 Go toon gooooo // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Pardew Alan out.Ryan Taylor retirement.

• 115 joeinthecheapseats // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Jack colback was what I was told but how many of these things turn out to be true
    Apparently he turned down a new offer from them and is coming to NUFC

• 116 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I stuck up for Tomkins last summer when we were linked with him. Wouldn’t have shelled out £10 million or whatever the quoted price was mind.

Glad to see some people are realising he is a decent player. By no means top drawer, but far better than Willo or Saylor. Probably on par with an ageing Colo (although not if Colo plays to his top level) and has been better than Mbiwa this season, although I think MYM has more potential.

As for tomorrows match, I am going in with expectations so low, that it would take a performance and result of cataclysmic proportions to leave me surprised and disappointed. Should be fun surrounded by a bar of Malawian Man U fans, with the odd brit and European Man U fan thrown in for good measure.

If that isn’t bad enough, I have to go to a smug Liverpool fans birthday bash after…. I can’t wait for work on Monday….

• 117 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Wouldn’t mind Colback, although it hardly smacks of aiming high. A replacement for Danny Guthrie finally?

• 118 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM

@Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

i remember there were people mocking tomkins when he was linked with us.

i wonder what those think if he’s playing like this in our colors. i doubt we’ll be in this state.

• 119 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I think we need 2 open top buses, 1 for Ashley and the other for Pardew.

I don’t think MA will sell up any time soon because there’s still so called fans attending the home games and maxing out the capacity.

what better way to have empty seats against 1 of the biggest club in the world ( Man U ) this game will be televised all around the world

• 120 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

@I love Toon

Yeah 4 million is probably too expensive for us you know how skint we are as a club!!

I think West Ham would probably want more than that to be honest not sure how much more but I just cant see us paying good money this summer for players might be that Ashley has just worn me down to just accept that its going to be another poor summer already it depresses me actually !!

Colback is decent , is he not meant to be a Toon fan as well? Hardly smacks of real quality though does it? I mean is he any better than Jonas, Perch, Guthrie, Routledge or Lovenkrands?

If the only reason we want him is because he is free it was a waste of time getting rid of the other players we had who could just as good a job , I would rather play a youngster than sign him to be honest

• 121 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

ilovetoon,

I think the majority were mocking Tomkins. I guess purely based on him being a West Ham player, and them having just been promoted rather than any real time spent watching him. He has always been a decent player, but struggled a little as he rarely got a run of games in one position. Now he has been getting that he looks a very capable Prem defender.

• 122 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Apr 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Colback hasn’t developed at all in 4 – 5 years, and has often been used as a utility in their fullback positions. He isn’t good enough for us by a long shot! Sick and tired of utility players we need specialists if we’re going to move forward.

• 123 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Colback, Tomkins ???????

where the f@ck do you’s get these are good players and should join Newcastle?

1 good game then suddenly BOOM they should off join us, FFS man open your eyes

• 124 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Black and White,
    Because they are better than what we have. Colback is better than Gosling/Newton and this season Bigi.

Tomkins has performed consistently better than any of our defenders.

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM

That should say central defenders. Although he would also be our best back up to Debuchy at right back.

• 126 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM

@90 aidy

ye a few good prospects but i’m realistic not blinded so would personally say rolando/arma look prem class consistantly already the others who i rate highly but not consistant just show glimpses of class are streete/bigi so far this season.

• 127 mindcompressor // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM

in my life i had 3 knee operations like ryan… i’m not ure if he will be fit to play in PL again, however i keep fingers crossed for him and his career. even he will not get to squad, it could be good to keep him in the club, maybe to work with youth teams

• 128 Himanshu Dhingra // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Since 30th NOV

Palace have the 3rd best defence.

With Gabbidon, Dann, Delaney?

are they better than our players?

Defending is just commonsense and keeping discipline.

• 129 Rainrix // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM

mindcompressor….. I have my reservations as well. Its not like the lad was ever quick so thats no loss but it depends if he still has his crossing and free kick abilities, it could take him a long time just to get the feel of a cross or a free kick back. But the club have spent a fair bit on his rehab work so his chances of playing are maximised.

Seeing as we’ll probably barely get the players to plug the gaps in our 1st team, never mind the bench he might still get some game time here.

• 130 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Ilovetoon

Tomkins, £4 million??? Ha! No chance mate, they turned down a bid of over £5 mil and then got him to sign a new 5 year contract after the window closed!

• 131 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Black and White with an army lol

1 good game??

Tomkins has been brilliant over the course of the entire season for west ham.

And Colback is decent too. but never watched him much.

But i can defintely vouch for Tomkins though. Top quality.

• 132 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Tompkins is only a utility player, westhams main centre backs are reid and Collins even an idot like Andrew could fathom that one out.

• 133 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Tompkins gets the same treatment off big Sam as MYM gets off old Pardew played as a full back when Reid is fit. Newcastle United should set their sights a bit higher than Tompkins.

• 134 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Mag,
    Actually, Tomkins has started 25 games at centre back in the Prem this season, and is also their top rated player on stats websites.

• 135 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Winston Reid has started 12, and Collins 22….

• 136 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Tomkins also hasn’t started any other position in the Prem than centre back for West Ham, so much for being shunted out to full back

• 137 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Winston Reid is injured just as Colocini was MYM played so has Tompkins been.

• 138 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Lilo
    If the lad has had a solid season, been crucial to there league survival, has a long deal (4years?) and is English then there is no way they will sell him to a league rival for less than what, £12 mil?

• 139 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Six appearances at right back five in midfeild you turkey do some research!

• 140 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Mag,
    Yeah, he has, but Tomkins is still playing centre back mate. Even with Reid fit. He hasn’t been dropped or shunted out wide as you put.

• 141 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Lilongwe where was Tompkins when Reid played the 12 and Collins played the 22 games?

• 142 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Mag,
    You are looking at last season mate. Check either transfermarkt, or who scored.com and you will see all appearances at centre back.

I’ll make it easy for you, here is the link for tranfermarkt…

• 143 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Here is the link for who scored.

Now, about that research mate…..

• 144 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Tads,
    £10 million was the quoted figure last summer. I said at the time he is a decent player, but not for that price. Better than Taylor or Willo, and has more left in him then Colo. £4-5mill tops in my book, but West Ham wouldn’t sell, and don’t want to.

• 145 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Ive explained it to you he is a utility player the main pairings are Reid and Collins and Roger Johnson.

• 146 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Lilo
    That’s my point mate, they wanted that much last summer, this season he’s been the keystone for there defence
    They’d want an absolute fortune for the lad

• 147 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Mag,
    And I have demonstrated to you he has played more, and is still playing that role whilst the ‘main pairings’ are fit again…..

Only 3 West ham players have started more games, and Johnson??? You realise he has started 2 games all season….

• 148 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Tads,
    I don’t think we have been seriously linked with him again, someone just brought him up earlier.

I agree, he would be well out of our price bracket unless they were going down, and needed cash…

• 149 Ciaran // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Roger Johnson has made 4 appearances for West Ham. Wouldn’t say he was part of their main centre back pairing.

• 150 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM

So many ignorants here.

Tomkins was a utility player before the season started.

he has well and truly cemented his spot there. and has been their stand out performer ever since he was slotted in.

• 151 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM

mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

you are really a deluded regarding Tomkins and your like trolling. go google tomkins games.

• 152 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Roger Johnson has been a regular starter at The Boyeln
    Unfortunately that’s the pub, not the ground!

• 153 santonthenewmaldini // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You can pretty much guarantee Tomkins wont be signing for us regardless if people rate him or not in fact regardless if Pardew rates him or not because he will not be the cheapest option

Its actually worrying if Colback is the standard of “homegrown” player that we are looking to sign I mean as a back up or for him to play all the time ?Perhaps he is a replacement for Tiote ?lol

Its difficult to see who we are going to buy the worry again is Pardew does not use them the right way and we struggle or if we properly back him and let him get players in that he really wants , in interviews I have heard him talk about wanting to sign these players for the Toon:

Defoe – Would be an upgrade on all of our strikers apart from Remy

Bent – Has scored more goals than Cisse , Shola and De Jong combined this season .. FOR FULHAM! Although he is still a total mercenary!

Townsend – Can be a bit greedy but would prefer him on the left wing to Gouffran

Shelvey – Would actually be great in our midfield can pass and move and score goals although not as sexy as Cabaye lol

Lallana – Would have been unreal if we had have signed him at any point fair play

Lambert – again miles better than pretty much all of our strikers apart from Remy

Rodriguez – Same as above

Shane Long – Would have been another belter him and Remy would have terrorised teams

Tomkins – Better than most of our centre backs could get the best out of MYM

These are players in interviews that Pardew has said he wanted if we had have signed them we would actually have a squad strength similar to what Everton have at the moment

Would pretty much take most of them at the moment as we are in a bad way … or just get a new manager in to work with the current squad!

• 154 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

@Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

i disagree with you on Tomkins price though. I don’t think WH will ask up to 10million for him.

He’ll be going to Brazil if he was playing for everton swanseas or southamptons.

• 155 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Tompkins may go to Brazil but only as a spectator. Call yourselves Newcastle supporters wanting him to sign.

• 156 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM

@mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

we see you trollin’ we hatin’,,,,,,

• 157 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM

More cockney rubbish just like the management to run the club down.

• 158 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Ilovetoon,
    That was last Summer, the figure was widely quoted as what had been asked for by West Ham.

This is from a David Gold interview last summer..
    “We are not selling James – he’s on a long contract and is still only a young man. He’s an absolutely top prospect and were he to be available it would not be easy to buy him as we have a very high valuation on him. This is no longer a selling club. We are moving forward into a big future and we will therefore be keeping our biggest players – James is one of them.”

• 159 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

8788 is that your

• 160 croftus5678 // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

i honestly dont know on tompkins !

he’s younger than our cb’s (apart from mbiwa) he’s better quality than our cb’s arguably but its also really his 1st really good season to my knowledge so bit of a gamble also but then again who isnt !

i’ll commit myself to saying mbiwa (faults and all atm) needs to play a full season at cb to bed in and i really do expect some blunders from him until he does settle properly at cb and have willo with him at our main cb pairings and let the young lad good be our backup.

• 161 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Tompkins is one of westhams best that’s why they have been battling relegation since their main central defender was injured.

• 162 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM

@mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

i see you really know your football.

tomkins is pants to you? how about Joel Ward from crystal palace? He’s pants too? LOL

How about Curtis Davis of Hull? Crap too?

These english players have recieved almost zero recognition for their brilliance this season. they will rightfully get it at the end of the season review.

hope we nip them before their price escalates.

• 163 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM

You keep trawling the bottom teams for garbage.

• 164 Thump // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM

re: Sunderland not having points deducted, it’s because they told the Prem. Full disclosure and all that. In fairness, it’s a weird loophole that just kind of exists. Kind of surprised that nobody at the club knew about it, though.

• 165 mag // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Tompkins Davis ward yeah! Sign them up these giants of a Fifa 14 geeks imagination.

• 166 Douglas // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I hope we win tomorrow but I think we’ll lose. And maybe it would be best to lose badly again and for the remaining games. Maybe, just maybe we might get the shake up we need. Ashley sells, Pardew goes, investment! Keegan was wrong, we can dream!

• 167 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Douglas,
    I could never want us to lose. However I go into this game fully expecting to. Given our recent form, and the fact Man U are the Premier leagues best away side so far this season.

A bit more effort would be nice, a goal would be lovely, but can’t see us getting a squeak! I even almost backed Man U with cash as I saw they were evens in some places! A bet I’d be happy to lose! Didn’t in the end, couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Anyway off to a wedding do, catch you all later.

• 168 IITianToon // Apr 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM

@Thump SO the PL knew all the time that 5under1land were infringing on the rules? Bunch of clowns aren’t they! :D

• 169 geordie157 // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Anita
    Aarons
    De jong
    Armstrong

• 170 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Ilovetoon
    Again mate, he signed a new contract, has kept them in the league and is English
    WHU were quoting £10 mil LAST season, when the lad really wasn’t playing overly well
    £10 mil would be the minimum, come of it you can’t call people deluded then start quoting £4mil!!!! That’s the price being banded for STaylor ffs!

• 171 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Looking at the last Football Pink dated December 17 18 2005
    decided to look at the season in full.
    And
    This season is running parallel
    Failed to score in 20 games
    yet had one of the best strike forces in the Country in Shearer and Owen
    Shearer top scorer with 14 goals
    Owen out half the season injured
    Failed to score 4 games running twice including beginning of season.
    Yet finished 7th – 38 won 17 drew 7 lost 14 for 47 against 42 +5 points 58

Doubt if we are going to reach 58 points this season might win same no games though.

All- in-all don’t think this season has been all bad as a lot of people make out!!!

But need to buy big this summer

• 172 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

i wonder if anyone in th history of football has ever made more excuses than pardew. Well Steve Bruce might run him close I suppose.

In the Chronicle – Pardew – says No Excuses but then goes on saying Manu U are on a high and we have an extensive injury list.

• 173 cyprus // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Don’t like to interfere in a good fight, but TDS you do insult people’s intelligence instead of just presenting your position and backing it with arguments. We are all behind keyboards so macho stances really mean nothing, let’s face it.

I personally miss Billson who had a similarly positive outlook (nothing wrong with that, in fact hats off). I don’t think he formally ‘quit’ this blog.

• 174 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Charlie

You could give pardew the best players in the world and h’d sill play containing bore you to tears football.

Buying good players is just wasted on pardew, that really isn’t the answer. You want a coach like a Rodgers, Martinez etc, who can develop players. Cabaye was very well brought on by Rui Garcia, not pardew

Pardew is a pathological liar when he says his teams play on the front foot and he wants players who can get fans off seats. Nothing could be further from the truth.

• 175 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I thought TDS said he wasn’t coming back. That was way too short lived or does he bite too easily and just can’t let things go when he’s so desperate to be heard by the people he insults.

• 176 Rotonda heights // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

ilovetoon

But Tomkins is pants and the other 2 you mention are just solid pros but nothing special. Hardly going to take us up a a level but would be Pardew type players.

• 177 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Apr 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Why do people insist on spelling his name as Tompkins!!?? So frustrating haha it’s Tomkins!
    As a player I’d love to have him as a Taylor replacement, he’s decent enough but nothing special as we all know.
    Again you’d have to question why he would come, realistically West Ham and ourselves will be battling for midtable next season so not a forward move as far as he’s concerned.

• 178 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

@rotanda

Tomkins is pants? Lol. Go watch more games.

Joel ward and Curtis Davis may be solid pros to you and nothing special. But that was what Charlie Adam, Henderson, jonjo shelvey, Downing, Adam johnson were all said before good clubs snapped them up and have forged very good careers.

• 179 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I think it’ll be interesting to see if Ashley is at the game again tomorrow, being at home I’d think he would be. I can’t see anything other than a convincing loss personally.
    Ryder seems to think that should we slip out of the top 10 then it’s curtains for Pardew. Interesting to see that he’s began to edge towards Pardew out as well. However the same could be said last season.

• 180 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM

To the people condemning Tomkins as average, what are you expecting? Thiago Silva?

Knowing Ashley and our kind of money we put in in transfers Tomkins/Curtis Davies are very realistic, could be cheap and yet better than what we have at the moment.

Unless your expectating Pique or Thiago Silva.. Yeah..

• 181 Ian Toon // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

As an alternative to the “were all doomed” you could just take a somewhat more positive view and put a bounce in your step and turn up at SJP to get behind the toon:
    What the hell let’s break free from the doom and gloom. You know it makes sense( just for you Mr Tuff)- how’s about flipping the news and views! :

Newcastle have learnt from their failures and could be set to bounce back next season with a refreshed squad and a new approach.

The Magpies’ season ended in January through a combination of the sale of, and failure to replace, key midfielder Yohan Cabaye and, the very same day the transfer was confirmed, Loic Remy’s red card against Norwich which led to a torrid run of defeats during his suspension.

There’s been little to celebrate on Tyneside, the continued bungling of Director of Football Joe Kinnear and his belated dismissal only brought more embarrassment to the club, and yet another transfer window failure.

Early exits from both domestic cup competitions, again, ensured the Magpies’ season would end with no chance of that elusive silverware we all crave.

Incidents off the field, or technically in the technical area, brought more bad headlines on the club when classless manager Alan Pardew was banned from stadiums and the touchline for seven matches.

But, it could all be about to change.

The club has announced it will take part in a pre-season competition in Germany called the Schalke Cup, hosted by the Gelsenkirchen club in a town that is also twinned with Newcastle.

It is the earliest I can remember the Toon revealing plans for their pre-season and this is surely an indication of forward planning.

The games, which will take place in early August, will offer a sterner test than in recent pre-seasons.

Pardew has also revealed that exciting transfer plans are in the pipeline and hinted there is a competitive budget at his disposal.

Even before the south coast destruction at the hands of Southampton, Pardew claimed he was confident Ashley would back him in the market as the manager hopes to strengthen the squad and switch tactics for a more attacking attitude.

Top class Premier League talents are already being linked and dismissed with moves, including Belgium striking sensation Romelu Lukaku( mind talk of £23 million seems a bit steep for Ashley), out of favour Manchester City defender Micah Richards and a whole host of talented French players no-one has ever heard of.

The club’s Academy side had an excellent cup run and seen a score of precocious players sign their first professional contracts, including in recent weeks Adam Armstrong, Freddie Woodman and Lubo Satka as well as Rolanado Aarons.

The academy itself was also awarded category one status – the highest ranking under the Premier League’s Elite Players Performance Plan (EPPP) – ensuring player development is moving in the right direction.

Finally, our on-loan players have gained invaluable experience and earned the plaudits for performances, such as James Tavernier and Curtis Good, who will be returning to the club and be fighting for first team places.

Toon fans that are of a positive inclination can be content that even at this early stage, the foundations to future success are being laid. Meanwhile who are the other
    8 fans who believe were going to complete the double over ManU tomorrow.!

• 182 Mike's Iron Curtain // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Nobody should be discussing transfers until we’ve got rid of Pardew. Another comprehensively inept performance tomorrow and I hope a raucous atmosphere and a swell of boos at full-time ring out.

Transfers are immaterial under Pardew. We’ll have to buy 5/6 top players before any leave to offset against Pardew’s incapabilities, just to have a similar season to this, then after another middling/good season based on the unsustainable feel good factor of those signings, his debilitating traits will strangle the morale, ideas and enthusiasm out of those new recruits and we”ll be back in this scenario – the club will have further crumbled in reputation in that passing of time.

That’s the forecast if we had a good window, which is highly unlikely. The more likely scenario is another frugal window and a relegation scrap next season. Anyone fancy Pardew leading us into that, given how the players seem completely apathetic to all his rambling rallying cries recently?

Is Ashley going to be present tomorrow?

• 183 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Ilovetoon
    There is beyond a massive gap in quality between Silva and Tomkins, with plenty of better players in between

Rolling out the old “you don’t agree with me so know nout about football” doesn’t make you a head scout, nor right, highlighted by your insistence WHU would let a key member of there spine go on the cheap to a PL rival

As for the others you’ve listed

Joel Ward is a prospect and still has a lot to prove

Curtis Davis, seriously? Nab him before someone snaps him up? He’s 29 and been at every prem club going there’s no one left to snap him up!!!

Charlie Adam, he really hasn’t had a great career, where did that come from?
    Filthy player

Henderson, £20 million do you not think that highlights why we don’t get much grown players coming in?

Jonjo Shelvey, fair enough he’s done well

Downing, please that must be a joke!

Adam Johnson, playing occasionally in a team propping up the table, hardly gone to have a great career is it? Leaving a PL powerhouse to go to relegation fodder whilst losing your international place?

• 184 Mister Tuff // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Ian Toon – an admirable attempt to lift the spirits of Toon supporters. In other times it might have worked. Your list of future goodies surely has to be put into the “manyana” category – as we’ve heard a lot of them before.
    I think a lot of fans would love to be convinced of goodies tomorrow but we’ve fallen for that one before and I think folk now adopt a seeing is believing attitude. Whilst you are attempting encourage a “positive” attitude I get a feeling of desperation in your tone. Have you finally decided to leave the Blind Faith Brigade, also known as the Legion of Dishonour or more recently labelled the “Flat Earth Society”. Embrace forward
    thinking and take that step from the darkside. You know it makes sense.

• 185 toonarmydownsouth // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Ian Toon
    Pardews hinted at no such thing

He’s said they need to reshuffle and address current playing staff and they have had a few meetings about potential signings, what’s so exciting about lining up a one in one out policy?

As for the budget, he’s says one minute we have money briefly followed by “we can’t compete with……(name any team in the PL)”

• 186 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Ian, I wouldn’t be bigging up the academy status too much as we failed to receive it to start with. We weren’t up to standard. I was told months before it was revealed on here. Sunderland and I think it was Boro got theirs first time round.

So, our standards weren’t actually up to scratch as the ‘norm’ and only through failure have we tried to adjust our capability and to improve to reach the standard that the clubs were already at.

There needs to be a certain number of coaches per players I think I was told amongst other relevant things and we were quite a way short of the mark.

Having less than the top status affects your ability to bring in certain top young players.

There were a couple more things around the stadium that we were pulled up for as well.

previous post: Pardew Expands On Loic Remy Situation