Remy Still A Doubt For Stoke City Game

Loic Remy has missed the last five games and we have managed only goal in that time,  but that’s still better than the previous five games Remy missed – when we failed to score in those games, so with Loic Remy out we have scored only once in ten games – it doesn’t say much for our other strikers does it?

loic remy at hull

Loic Remy scoring against Hull last time out

We were expecting Loic to be back for the Manchester United game, because the manager had said he should be fit last Monday following the Saints disaster, but it’s taking a long time for that calf injury of his to heel, and of course  it doesn’t help that he picked up the injury playing a friendly game for France on 5th March.

This is what Alan Pardew had to say about Remy today:

“I think his appearance on the squad list for Stoke, whether it is as a substitute or player, will give us a massive lift.”

“And we are hoping this week he is going to be included, if not we’ll have to save him for the home games.” “The two home games are going to be massive for us now.”

Alan is being guarded just in case he’s not available for Stoke, but if he can train a couple of days this week he should start at Stoke City, because Luuk de Jong and Papiss Cisse up front just don;t provide enough of a threat, although Papiss is slowly coming into some form.

We just have to hope that Loic trains this week,  and that he has no bad reaction to the training.

Loic has been absolutely outstanding for Newcastle this season with 13 league goals in his 24 total appearances for the team.

• mindshaft

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I expect a defeat – possibly 3 or 4-0
    seems to be the norm for teams around us

• jimmysmith

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Who’s been paying his 80 000 quid a week wages?

• theartfuldodger

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Sack Pardew and everyone will get a lift.

• mindshaft

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mike Ashley puts his own version of the SBR quote!

“What is a club in any case?”

“It’s the buildings you can cover in Sports Direct advertising, the cheap managers who agree with my every decision.

It’s television contracts, marketing departments or executive boxes.”

“It’s a small boy clambering up the escalator in Sports Direct gripping his hard earned pocket money to buy his first replica shirt and a bag for life for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at vast array of pile em high, sell em cheap child made polyester
    Looking over the hallowed stretch of shop aisles and without being able to do a thing about it, walking out the shop laden with cheap tat.”

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

An excellent article from True-Faith editor Mick Martin. This is the views of a man who has followed the Toon for the best part of 50 years. Sums things up brilliantly.

• lesh

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

It’s a pretty pass when our performances and goals seem to rely on one man, an on loan striker to boot!

Ashley’s stewardship has been nothing short of a footballing disaster.

• Average_Contents

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Stoke will absolutely tonk us everywhere and we’ll make them look like Spain whilst we look like San Marino

Actually that’s what I’ve heard fatty is going to call us from next season 😉

• Average_Contents

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The whipping boys of the premier league on current form! God help us at anfield 🙁 and I’m not religious lol

• lesh

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Ciaran, I haven’t read the True Faith article yet but is it safe to assume it suits your Ashley out agenda?

As far as you know, is there any channel for dialogue between NUST, Time for Change or other fans’ interest groups?

If not, are any attempts being made to facilitate conciliation and constructive dialogue with Ashkey and/ or his representatives? We know some of the history but are any efforts being made to rebuild bridges or have they been well and truly burnt?

• WWSBRD

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Ciaran
    What a depressing read because it’s true

Would relegation be that bad after all?

• The quote’s from Pardew on the previous thread really make my blood boil. Cannot stand the tosser any longer.
    It’s just excuse after deluded excuse. Why can’t he just come out for once in his slime filled life and say he take responsibility for not being able to get the players playing? We’ve heard the injury excuse week after week, month after month, year after year. It doesn’t wash with any of us any longer.

• toon22

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Im sure AP will be licking his lips at the chance to notch up another record breaking defeat at Anfield.

• mindshaft

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Everton have had worse injuries than us and player for player (on paper) aren’t as good as us…. Pards needs to smell the coffee and realise a decent manager / coach can get a team playing decent football and still show ambition despite limited finances

• Average_Contents

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Do you guys know what Rodgers says to his players? If they make a mistake I don’t hold it against them and they know I take the blame if they do so they go out and play with freedom knowing they can do what they want to a certain extent

Fcuk me puppets ego wouldn’t let him say anything remotely like that imo!

• That True – Faith article was genuine and chillingly accurate. When looking at the big picture, I’d happily take relegation for a fresh start and a new sense of purpose and drive. At least then the fans can get behind a common cause and lift the team back to the premier league. It would be nice to be able to go back to games again and feel the passion.

• kimbo

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Why would Remy want to risk further injury playing for us before the World Cup. Why would we want a player to play for us who will be leaving us in 5 games time. Debuchy, Sissoko and Remy will not come off the injury list and excuses will be made by Pardew.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I am so depressed with Newcastle United these days that I just don’t care anymore. I’ve never felt this low about our club and the direction we’re heading.

Thank you Ashley and Pardew for taking away the pride and spirit from our once great club.

• geordie157

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Pardew out!

Wish he’d give gouffran a game up top, with Sammy and Ben arfa left n right of a 433. Guess that’s too attack minded though.

• Average_Contents

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Relegation didn’t work last time out so why will it work now?

He put us up for sale and wouldn’t take a very fair priced offer then so it’s highly unlikely he’d be willing to do that now!

• Sav

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

The rebuilding for next season’s challenge has already begun – the nameplate on Lee Charnley’s office now reads ‘Director of Football’.
    Fills you with pride, doesn’t it.
    If only the team were as consistent and successful as Monster Mash.

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Lesh

I can’t speak for NUST, but what I can say is that even after being banned from the Fan’s Forum, NUST still made efforts to communicate with the football club, all of which were turned down except for 1 – where Lee Marshall met a Trust board member for a quick cup of coffee. NUST still tries to communicate with the club, it would appear that the club are less than willing to engage with the only legitimately constituted organisation of Newcastle United supporters.

• JP...from The Rock

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

The only things that can cheer me up and feel positive about it all again is if we

1- We somehow start putting good entertaining performances and perhaps win most of our remaining matches.

2- Sign some really good players (especially fast and nimble strikers that know how to score regularly)

3- Pardew either resigns or is sacked and replaced with a very good technical coach that loves attacking football and players like HBA.

4- Ashley leaves once and for all and the next owner is much much more supportive and ambitious and we can once again look forward to transfer windows with excitement.

Of all those scenarios I can only realistically say that option 2 is the most likely.

🙁

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Lesh

Personally I have an Ashley Out agenda, I’ve never hidden that fact so I am hardly going to promote articles encouraging his ownership and thinks he is doing a great job.

We all do it. It’s called confirmation bias and it is a natural psychological reaction.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Ciaran…Never mind promote it, can you find such an article, in particular a recent one?

If you can, I say we have the author committed. There’s opinion and then there’s lunacy.

• NUFCarter

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Ciaran
    An excellent article, but a depressing read.
    Its absolutely horrendous what Ashley’s done to our club and for fans to accept relegation to get rid of him says it all.

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Ibiza

That’s true. I come across some people on Facebook pages who are trying to convince others that Ashley is doing a good job, but thankfully these people are either in the minority or are simply trolls who wish to start an argument. That argument has been won a long time ago, however, the next argument is how do we arrest the development of this crippling apathy and turn it into positive action?

Thoughts welcome.

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

NUFCarter

I made the point a number of months ago that I would gladly accept relegation to be rid of Mike Ashley and I was told I should be ashamed of myself. Of course I want Newcastle United to be plying their trade at the top table of English football, but at what cost?

Would it not mean more to us fans to have a Championship club, or even a League 1 club which is being run in the best interest of the fans? A club which invests in local community and seeks to develop links with non-league clubs in the area to ensure football is growing and developing in the region? A team the community can be proud of?

I know which situation I would rather have.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

ciaran

Of course I want us to be a top flight club, improving (or trying to) every year, so i would take relegation to be rid of ashley.

I know it sounds bad, its the same thing when people would rather survival and a cup win…i’d take a cup every day.

You never forget a cup win but you can easily forget a season over the course of your life, you will forget many.

Also very few clubs have been top flight for 70 years so during your life you will see a relegation at some point, so it’s not the end of the world.

As I have said many times, ashley not buying enough isn’t my biggest concern, lots of clubs sell themselves short….it’s his treatment of the place only as a business, not respecting tradition and fans.

• Ibizatoon

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Ciaran…The only positive I see at the minute is that more and more fans are getting clued in as to what is up at the club. The tide is turning and maybe fan power can actually be realised sometime soon.

How we go about it exactly I am not sure, but whatever it is, for it to work, we must be united.

Sadly, it may take another summer to push this one over the edge. There are still a fair few willing to wait and see.

How did the bus tour go?

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Sage

I have faith in our club that if we were ever relegated, that we would find our way back to the top flight, and better yet, if we could find our way back to the top flight with fan based ownership it would be all the sweeter.

I see Portsmouth now have 51% fan ownership, and I for one will be watching their continued progress very closely because there is a club that was ravaged by private investors until there was nothing left. Swansea are the only top flight club with fan representation and I would love to see more develop in the years to come but unfortunately it only appears to work – in cases like Swansea and Portsmouth, when disaster has struck. It all depends what people want – do they want a club that is true to their community or one that is in the top flight regardless?

Ibiza

I do think this summer will push a fair few over the edge because while I fully expect 3/4 signings, it will not balance out those who will be leaving the club, and I for one think that the state of the first team squad will be very precarious as we head into next season, and as you say, the only positive to be gained from that is people opening their eyes.

The bus parade went really well, it was heaving it down but it was a right laugh and we managed to get the point across as well as raise a few smiles along the way. We got great coverage both before and after the protest so can’t complain really.

• the truth will out

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM

send him packing money grabber
    he wont play again for us

• cyprus

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Before we sign anyone the manager has to go first, unfortunately. Despite claims, he seems a nice chap to me. But a coach he ain’t.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM

ciaran

for me a club should represent the city it belongs to and the people who support it…yes compromise can be made by fans in order to see success but somethings are more important than success.

It’s important that the club doesn’t become too distant from what it is just to buy into the new idea of global brands which a lot of people seem happy to do sadly.

All decisions should be made with the best interest of the club and city/region at heart.

I think fan ownership is a good idea in theory but how would fans of clubs worth so much like man utd ever get enough together to buy a meaningful stake, it would be difficult if not impossible.

What is key for me is fan involvement, even if they can’t own it they should have elected members on the board/hierarchy of the club.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

cyprus

Exactly…i think time has come for a change. Without his best couple players this Pardew has just given up, with what we have out we maybe shouldn’t be winning games but we should at the very least be tough to beat, not keep rolling over time and again.

We need fresh ideas.

• NUFCarter

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Rolando Aarons:

“It seems as though the gaffer is really interested in bringing young players through so it gives you hope that you’ll get a chance if you keep doing well.”

You couldn’t be more wrong

• theartfuldodger

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM

We are in for the same crap football till the end of the season.

Can you imagine the reaction if Pardew gives Marveaux a full game and he does wonderfully. He will be killed for not doing so earlier.

Same with armstrong I think.

Im sure Pardew knows he needs to TRY benarfa marveaux and armstrong along with gouffran and sammy upfront(Or some other attacking combo). But if it does work he will get a kicking for leaving it so late.

Pardew would rather do the same team repeatedly than try a new attacking formula.

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Sage

Personally I am all for fan involvement, to whatever extent as a first port of call – be that 10%, 20% with a view to build themselves up to a 51% stake at the very least.

With enough organisation I believe fans can mobilise themselves to purchase a portion of their club.

If the 52,000 people on matchday contributed £1,000 there you have £52m which would easily buy at least 20% of Newcastle United. It is more complicated than that but not much more really. All it takes is organisation.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM

artful

i don’t think that’s the reason they don’t play, I think it is because pardew doesn’t know how to get the team playing a system which suits them, just hopes they can adapt and play his negative guff.

Nothing cynical in it, just incompetence.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM

ciaran

I agree it is difficult but possible if the interest is their…the issue is when you have clubs like man utd worth billion(s) which is where it gets difficult.

• Ciaran

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Sage

To affect the issue in its entirety, we would probably need government intervention by the way of legislation, but that does not mean that we cannot affect our own situation and try to buy a share in our own club.

While it is a wider football issue, and I sympathise with the plight of the true Manchester United fans who are not seeing their best interests served, I have to, first and foremost, concern myself with Newcastle United.

However, lobbying politicians for change in this issue should be a matter of priority heading into the next election.