The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Fans Split On Lee Charnley Appointment

1:06 pm, Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 65 Comments

It seems that Newcastle fans are split down the middle about whether Lee Charnley’s appointment as Newcastle’s new Managing Director  is a good appointment, and the majority think it is not a good appointment.

lee charnley pardew and ashley

Managing Director Lee Charnley is on the left

Here are the results of our poll so far with 54% believing it is not a good appointment.

Is Lee Charnley A Good Appointment At Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

There’s still time to vote – but only one vote per reader – so please get your vote in so we get a good cross section of Newcastle fans.

What was obvious yesterday in the statement released on Lee’s appointment,  is that nothing will be changing much at the club, and Lee reiterated how Newcastle will be run in a fairly strict financial way – and the club will not overpay for players and will not make knee-jerk reactions to events.

Mike Ashley will also be joining the Newcastle Board, and he could possibly become the new Chairman?

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

65 responses so far ↓

• 1 wolfshead@toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM

are pards and charn bullying ash about his size in that pic he doesnt look too happy

• 2 Markaccus // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Tuff

…… because of all the “boo hoo” nonsense you came out with was aimed at people who had left the blog for a while or even permanently due to abuse. Robust debate doesn’t come into it. People on the internet can get down right evil with some comments. It gets out of hand everywhere online, but for some reason football seems to be exempt from reproach because its…..well, because its football. Nobody left because of “robust debate” (whatever you mean by that), they left because of abuse.

This is how you original post came across. Now, if i have misunderstood, i appologise, but it did seem like you thought people should stay and be abused.

And fair play if you have picked out racism et.c in the past. I would not have been so imediately harsh towards you had i seen that. Again, sorry if i have misunderstood you.

• 3 70TWO // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Lee Charnley wall painter made good, or credible Chief Executive?

Another underwhelming decision from Ashley that was probably the cheapest option. LC will not become credible IMO until he installs a more progressive team manager.

• 4 the truth will out // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM

no two ways empty grounds or demos is the only way to oust this billy dumbs circus

• 5 mag // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Charnleys promotion will spell the end of Pardew at Newcastle United.

• 6 validator // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Wolfshead your one of the best posters on here in your own mind. Go find a job!

• 7 cyprus // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM

So, Pards has concluded that neither the team nor the squad are good enough. Ok, accepted. But, when exactly will he come up with a team that represents what he has achieved? When will he tactically set up what he has to make them hard to beat, or even compete? We have more internationals than we’ve ever had and they can’t come up with one set play in three years? – That’s an exaggeration: we’ve had like 4 :)
    How many more years does he need? Or, maybe, he needs the purse of a Man U to blossom? Then, I’m afraid, he ain’t going to make it.
    Do I expect PL football? I hope for it but don’t expect it. I do expect a team that plays good football, a la Southampton and Everton, though. They aren’t exactly giants, are they? How much did Southampton cost to buy? Ans. 22 mil…

• 8 Slank // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM

The appointment of Lee Charnley is good as the club needs a Managing Director, first and foremost.

It is also good as he probably knows more about the operation of the club than anybody else involved with the club. He almost certainly has a good working relationship with all those in the club, and is almost certainly a Newcastle supporter of long standing.

Could the same fans who have been asking for someone who knows about football club management and is also a Newcastle supporter be the ones who have voted ‘no’? Surely not!

• 9 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Markaccus
    fair play – hatchet buried

…….. in ya heed.
    (Now then don’t be offended – that was a joke.)

• 10 Markaccus // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Slank

He would be good, for all those reasons you have stated. However, i voted ‘no’ not because of him personally, but because ANY new DoF has to work under Ashlys constraints. I would have voted ‘no’ regardless of who it was.

• 11 Markaccus // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Tuff

it wont do any damage in my heed :D

• 12 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM

was it Lee who handle the finance to bring in Tiote & Cabaye? also Collo, Willo, Xisco, Luque, Debuchy ect,ect

for me I think MA should do the business, I can’t stand the bloke but he himself bought in Sissoko, Gouffran, MYM, Haidara

• 13 Marktoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM

MAOC could you please drive your bus around to SJP, you have now three passengers to collect.

• 14 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I voted no simply because a Manager should have control of ins & out not any DOF

• 15 MosesNUFC // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:56 PM

First job for charnley and ashley to do before July 1st, is to sack pardew and appoint Laudrup…

• 16 Slank // Apr 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Markaccus

He is the new MD not the DOF.

Not sure what DOF has to do with it, am I missing something?

• 17 Slank // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Black and White

I agree it should the manager but it will always be subject to the money available.

• 18 Markaccus // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Slank

well whatever his job, he or anyone else will struggle to make any impact under Ashley.

By the way i was not having a pop at you, just sharing my thoughts on the situation :)

• 19 martoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Markaccus – I see LC as a straight replacement for Llambias i.e. a financial man. The DoF was just a made up job for one of Ashley’s cronies. We don’t need one Carr & his scouting team & Pardew can do the football side so that is why I voted ‘yes’.

• 20 Markaccus // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Martoon.

Yeah i see that now. However, i still dont think anyone working in any role within the cirrent nufc set up can make a difference. Ashley rules with an iron belly!

• 21 Rainrix // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM

MosesNUFC…. Laudrup left swansea due to disagreements on transfers and he got about 10 of them! He would literally swim back to denmark when he hears about our “one or two a season” policy :)

• 22 beermonkey // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Black and White with an army

do you really want pards in charge of transfers

• 23 Thump // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:29 PM

A reclusive yes man who is likely to do even less press work than Llambias did? I have no idea why that would be seen as a good move.

That said, I want him to prove me wrong.

• 24 Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Rob-Mactoon
    Yours from Saturday evening( got back as early as I could given the gravity of your post- you really are dull and plain boring- just stop trying to give the appearance of being remotely interesting by quoting my name. Is their anything that comes out from you that isn’t a weasel word. Just imagine a compilation of your best posts -LOL.

In short just stop re- writing history and telling other people how to lead their lives, the voices of ordinary fans will not be stifled by a dullard like you. I don’t personally know you but I am assured that your well known to the toon army as a snivelling fair weather wretch of a fan – just what we need when things are not going well! Your not to be trusted with your support of NUFC. Incidentally, so I was wrong some months ago in highlighting the massive drop in sales of The Mag and this is something know being openly acknowledged by Mark. Talk about re-writing history.

As for me being a loon! Come on, be fair, what’s wrong with being a swivel-eyed loon? I love being painted in such a colourful light – maybe that’s where your going wrong.
    HWTL

• 25 Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Mr Tuff- I will be happy to provide a character reference if required. Mind, you seem to have won on something more than a technical knock out – like taking candy from a baby- boo-hoo!

• 26 toon kk // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM

We’ll soon be relegated, next will be the last in the premier league. Then all three northeast clubs will be reunited.
    We can’t continue the way we are, our football is diabolical.
    Why people keep going to SJP is beyond me? The only one having a laugh is MA.

• 27 70TWO // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

“The Club has never been in such a stable and healthy financial position, which gives us the best possible platform from which to grow.”

This is what LC said yesterday but there is no indication of an objective, or how the club will be augmented. Other than an emphasis on local youth development there is an aim to ‘generate greater commercial revenue’ and to make the club the ‘best’, classifying that with ‘pound for pound’.

Lets hope that indicates more of a willingness to invest in players that will not only bring success to the club through winning games but also generate a more positive environment within which greater commercial success can be gained.

• 28 wolfshead@toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM

this mister tuff burying the hatchet with mark

• 29 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Ian Toon – afternoon – support from any quarters is always welcome. Please desist from using the term boohoo -unless in extreme circumstances.
    Now that you’ve suddenly re-appeared from your busy schedule -I think it would be apt for you to explain your recent skulduggery. I believe it would also be appropriate now as you have challenged Mactoon on the content of his posts.
    I refer of course to your recent plagiarism of the Metro article. It was spotted by one poster who then provided a link to the original article. Dare I say you were caught well and truly with your pants down.
    Do you think it’s a bit duplicitous challenging Mactoon on his article when you now appear not to write your own material but stoop to plagiarism. Bit naughty methinks

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Apr 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Ian Toon,
    You don’t even exist, except in your own head, who will provide your character witness, Pushy Pardew or carl ?

• 31 Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Mr Tuff- I have responded previously. All my own material – I write/ submit for the Metro and others usually under the titled Sports Reporter banner. I don’t have a problem someone else posting under their name because it means they rate the content. I am using the leverage to get some work potentially from the London, Evening Standard. Hope this meets with your approval. Don’t worry it’s only a hobby
    I have a desire to qualify in a very much more worthwhile field than becoming an old hack- I can’t keep up in the drinking stakes.

I wrote occasional articles for WSC when in my first year at Uni as an 18 year old. It helped towards my survival.

We’ve spoken before about people with agendas- I always look at who’s saying what and why they’re saying it.

• 32 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM

wolfshead – that was a bit extreme – are you suggesting I’m a mad axe murderer. I do not think that is fair and is just invented tosh. Boohooo, boohoo.

Anyway I think you were pretty brave admitting to wearing sarongs – I know worldwide lots of men wear them -far east etc. I suppose it could be a garment that keeps you cool.
    I’ve tried to imagine what your style is -a short sarong or a long one, the material used, the pattern and what accessories you use. Hey presto I think I’ve got a picture of you. I must say you do look charming.

• 33 theartfuldodger // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM

It doesent matter who is on the board. Ashley Carr Charnley Pardew.

Ashleys antics have made it very hard to complete signings and avoid relegation.

• 34 Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Mr Tuff- The chaff is in danger of clogging the whole medium. Don’t you just hate the tedious repetition, obvious I accuracy and babble of every kind.

j For Ashley- don’t be so defensive.

• 35 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Ian Toon – I must have missed your previous reply. If the said article was your own work -I obviously withdraw my accusation of plagiarism.

• 36 Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM

jail – Pushy has just opened another gym in Leeds.

• 37 wolfshead@toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

tuffers

i find that image deeply disturbing and yet at the same time somewhat alluring i think i might be spending too much time on here

• 38 Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Jail – I have exaggerated, he has a shareholding interest but the players frequent so it could well be a smart move.

• 39 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Ian Toon -repetitive posts are indeed boring -if not qualified by a new angle or new information etc. Similar posts from different people are clearly not repetitive as they represent an individual viewpoint. I’m sure those who know the blog well will have their own devices to avoid chaff – or probably more truthfully -the chaff posters.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Ian Loon,
    Being defensive would mean I was being attacked, I wasn’t, just that when I see your snidey Ritalin filled posts it gives me the creeps.

• 41 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

wolfshead – fashion tip – get rid of the shoes and socks -maybe use flip-flops and you will look lovely.

• 42 Rotonda heights // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I guess it would answer things once and for all if Pushy, Carl and the other alter egos actually came back on once in a while but they all mysteriously kind of simultaneously disappeared en masse.

• 43 mindshaft // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Mr Tuff – call yourself a fashion expert, haven’t you seen wearing shoes without socks are all the rage with the rapsters, hipsters and youngsters these days – personally I think they look like a bunch of twerats but hey ho am prob just too old for that malarky

• 44 Rotonda heights // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Mag @ 5

stop getting my hopes up

• 45 mindshaft // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I see Pards has come out and said team isn’t good enough blah blah – I did notice that he absolved himself of any blame by saying the team had put the effort in ( thereby his motivational skills are up to par )
    Am sure the team are gonna put in a humdinger of a performance after that statement – roll on Stoke, actually they’ll roll all over us.

Anyone want to club together for a one way ticket for Pards on Malaysian airlines ?

• 46 wolfshead@toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM

mind

tuff was making a critique of me wearing socks and sandals with a sarong whilst on a rambling holiday clearly i should have went with my first choice of hiking boots

• 47 Adopted_Geordie // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Have to give it to the lad..100 goals in ligue 1..Bafetimbi Gomis..I can see 3 very good years in front of him and would be absolutely chuffed if we can get him on tyne-side.

• 48 mindshaft // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM

@wolf – given that you are the double of David Beckham I’ll let you off

• 49 wolfshead@toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

adopted
    i think charn has already dismissed that one citing age but in reality more to do with price

• 50 jazzyp // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Adopted
    Looks a better investment than a certain Ldj at this moment in time.

• 51 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

mindshaft – I recall an item on the news maybe a couple of years ago when David Cameron and his missus went to -I think it was Florence and he was wearing what appeared to be ordinary slip on shoes -and was slated in the press.
    I suppose wearing some chunky boots with a sarong however would look really butch.

• 52 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Who are these fans that spat on Lee Charnley?

Whilst not impressed with his promotion or his subsequent rally call to the toon masses, spitting on the bloke is a bit too much.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I see you’re all as shocked as I was to read this turn of events.

However, I now have my glasses on and notice the “l”, so it’s not spit, but split!

I still have some question though, did I miss some sort of social gathering with Lee? I would never have split on him…I do hope he wasn’t left with a big bill…wouldn’t want him dipping in to our summer transfer kitty.

• 54 Mister Tuff // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Thinking a bit about the two players a year dictat. If we say that Remy is leaving (Arsenal seems his destination) -he needs replacing. De Jong is useless – so anybody with a football brain would not sign him permanently -so a replacement for him as well. seems logical. With that assumption there is clearly no prospect of anyone else coming. Or if they keep de Jong and go for a midfielder who came deliver a killer through ball – that is one less forward. Could they be thinking that a superb midfielder with that killer pass would revive Cisse’s fortunes. Either of these potentials -means no-one else such as a decent centre half. Whilst Willo has played ok -he is not the answer next season.
    Anyway the way I look at things – the Toons plans via Charnley are woefully lacking and we could well be in bother next season.

• 55 GeordieTwo // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I’m dead chuffed with this appointment. This is a man who clearly knows how to suck up. He will be right in the queue beside Alan all summer. Plenty of opportunities to be had I’m sure. Charnley, a new legend in Geordie football management. Brilliant.

• 56 martoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Nice One Ibiza @53 & 52 – It reads even worse if you omit the p :)

• 57 GeordieTwo // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM

We have a completely settled back 4 of…… 1. Willo is our man. Yes, that’s it. We don’t need any incoming back there. Colo wants to leave, Saylor has been cack, Debuchy is unsettled, Santon hasn’t played well, Dummett and Haidara aren’t ready (Dummett may never be). So that’s the defense taken care of. Up front we have…… Shola and Cisse as our own strikers. Plenty there then. So what are you lot complaining about? Everything’s sorted. Charnley will have very little to do this summer. One or two signings just for fun possibly.

• 58 Graeme // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Mindshaft @ 45 – only if it is scheduled for the Crimea mate!!!

• 59 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Tuff…Your first mistake it trying to actually use some logic with regards to how active we’ll be this summer.

The one and only question you must ask yourself is, can we survive without this player?

G2…I do wonder whether the work place may become somewhat competitive. I mean, can you imagine the fights between Lee and Alan over who gets first go at Mike?

• 60 GeordieTwo // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

It’s just a bit of extra excitement for Lee and Alan Ibiza mate. Some dedicated schmoozing with the owner, then a quick trip to the pub (or do both at the same time if you like lads), then a bit of time working on the 2 transfers for the year, then a spot of lunch, then a nap. Lovely. The 2 transfers shouldn’t take much work as we only have about 5M pounds to spend. So, then……. what about a loan player and a free transfer? Excellent! That’s sorted then. Now for the nap.

• 61 Ibizatoon // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

martoon…Indeed :)

• 62 GeordieTwo // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I don’t even have to look at the midfield. It’s completely sorted. Got rid of that troublesome Cabaye. Marveaux is shunned. Obertan is waiting to have his breakout year with us. Benny is planning on putting on some more weight so he only has to play 5 minutes per game max. Beautiful.

• 63 GeordieTwo // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

In fact everything is in such good shape I’m not sure what we need Charnley for. And with Mike coming onto the board it looks like overkill. We should win the league next season with this group of supreme football minds at the top. Beautiful.

• 64 GeordieTwo // Apr 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I would just like to take a small amount of time to comment on some trouble makers we have on here. Listen up people. When we’re on here ranting about our club, losing our minds with anger, we don’t want anyone coming on and trying to make us laugh. Or even chortle a little bit. IS THAT CLEAR? I hope so.
    Most Humbly