Chris Hughton – I Was Totally Confident

Being a manager in the Premier League is certainly a ruthless business, and with the increased pay-out to Premier League clubs over the next three years, it’s not going to get any easier, and probably will only get worse with managers continually being fired.

Chris Hughton

Chris Hughton – in happier times when Norwich manager

PL clubs now receive anywhere from £60M to £100M every May, once the season ends, and that’s an increase from last year when the payments were anywhere from £40M to £60M, so there is great pressure on managers to at least keep their clubs in the Premier League.

Chris Hughton, the former Newcastle manager was fired on Sunday form Norwich City, who at the moment are 4th bottom of the league, but still 5 points above 3rd bottom Fulham and 7 points above rock bottom Sunderland, who were hammered 5-1 at Tottenham on Monday night, and look like they have given up the fight – at least based on their second half performance in that game.

This is what Chris Hughton has said in a League Managers Association statement:

“I am very disappointed to have lost my job, but immensely proud to have served as Norwich City’s manager.”

“I understand the recent frustrations, but I remained totally confident that we were on course to create history at the club, by retaining our top-flight status and move into a fourth consecutive season in the Premier League.”

“Collectively we were ready for the challenge that the final five games presented, and we believed we would reward the club and the supporters by achieving that objective.”  “Over the last two seasons many new players arrived at the club and it has been a period of transition.”

“But I would like to put on record that the commitment and work ethic shown by them, together with the players still retained from when I was appointed, has been exceptional.”

“The same applies to my coaching and backroom staff, whose contribution has been immense.” “I now wish to reflect before preparing for the next challenge. Norwich City is a great club and I feel honoured to have had the privilege of being its manager.”

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan had this to say about Chris’ sacking:

“We are all very disappointed for Chris and in particular with the timing of his dismissal.” “We must recognize that Norwich City has come a long way in a very short space of time and that just four years ago they were competing in League One.”

“Chris has an excellent record of managerial success, initially with Newcastle and later with Birmingham.” “So it is with regret that we see one of our top English managers being dismissed without being given the opportunity to see out the season.””

Chris is a class act and a gentleman, and it’s very likely he will be in management again as early as the summer.

A Championship club could do a lot worse than appointing Chris – since he had Newcastle promoted at the very first attempt back in the 2009-2010 season, when all looked lost in July of 2009 when he was appointed as the interim Newcastle manager, and he had Birmingham City in the playoffs in 2012.

• yo-yo

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Hoots has real dignity

• lesh

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Famous last words from a gentleman.

Jesper…. EMT is managementspeak (bullshidt) for Executive Management Team. There’s also the acronym (please don’t ask) SMT being Senior etc.

• lesh

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Repost from previous in the interest of good order….

Mr Average, sir, does that mean we can’t even ask Online trick questions?

Anyway Mr Average_contents, who’s the head honcho round here, the Admiral of the Fleet Jesper or you?

In the interest of discipline on the lower decks, we need to know.

• Charlietoon

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Poor fella just needed a bot more luck. I feel sorry for them and the ricky van situation. How gutted would we be if we spent that money on a striker who scored once all season. I’m afraid Chris might get the Routledge syndrome and find himself getting clubs promoted and then getting sacked for more fashionable choices. Hope it’s not the case.

• Ciaran

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Letch

More important things to be doing than dealing with your childish nonsense.

Some of us have campaigns to be involved with, and meetings to attend as opposed to being cynical, petty little keyboard warriors.

Guess what category you fall into buddy 😉

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM

He will be back in a job very soon I suppose!

lesh…I am the boss 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

…well captain!

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Well I never! I am the official Blog bullsh!tter stopper or OBBS for short 😉

But if you wish me to be in command I will glady accept and promise to fulfil my duties to the best of my abilities! What are my new duties? I feel like pardew!

Radio silence is indeed required as we do not want to miss the post

So with that in mind, everybody go dark 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

lesh…did you see the link I posted earlier about being an expert? It is very funny if you work in those circles 🙂

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Or we could all just jump into jespers box, oh the joys I can’t wait! Can you?

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Ciaran

Do these important meetings involve going onto Facebook and commenting?

• validator

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Lesh belt up I’m the voice of reason on here and your out of order.

• Ciaran

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Average

Oh yes. I’m in the middle of an important meeting now. Care to explain that nonsensical comment?

• toon kk

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The way MA treated CH was terrible just to bring in the cockney rebble.
    at least all the players pulled in the same direction under C.H

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Ciaran

Wasn’t having a go, I’ve seen you post sometimes on pages I get news feeds off ( well I think it’s you) but alas you never reply lol! so get yourself away from the imaginary corner you’ve backed yourself into 😉

Now, back to this “blackout” who would like to be my right-hand man and enforce said blackout whilst I put my kids to bed? Excellent!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

AC…you are not the Captain of this ship mate 😉 lol

• Rotonda heights

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

to be honest I think Hoots had taken us as far as he could, but that boat has certainly sailed with pardew

• Ciaran

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Average

Not in a corner, just came across like a challenge as who in their right mind would equate ‘meetings’ to commenting on Facebook forums? So it did appear to be a sarcastic attack, even if it was not meant as one.

I do attend meetings for various fans groups, as well as MAOC meetings as well as board meetings for NUST, but I do tend to take some flak from certain people on this site so sometimes I do tend to come from a defensive position.

• validator

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM

The manager of the good ship NUFC has proved beyond doubt that he is a pirate.

• Ciaran

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

On topic with regards Hughton, I do think he has been harshly treated at Norwich, but he’s a very good manager who will have trouble finding work again. Absolute gentleman who conducts himself with poise and dignity at all times. A man like him was never going to fit in with the staff at NUFC.

• validator

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Ciaran you have to understand most of your detractors are lower order plebeian types.

• Ciaran

Apr 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Validator

I wouldn’t say that. Some very intelligent people can’t stand me! haha it takes all sorts to make the world go round.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

AC…be careful about that mate, cause I am thinking outside the box these days 😉

…and according to lesh that can be dangerous (not thinking outside the box, but me in general thinking outside of it)

*don’t know if that came out right? lol

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I see nobody was willing (or in jasper’s case unable due to old age) to take the mantle so to speak in regards to the blackout. Disappointed is not a word I use lightly but unfortunately I feel it aptly describes my current feelings!

Ciaran

I totally understand your reservations regarding your standpoint on a few fellow bloggers but as I said it wasn’t an attack, as I feel like you regarding club issues! Just banter to a fellow regime hater 🙂

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Now can we all PLEASE stop clogging the blog with idle chit chat just incase online guy decides to blab like a child that can’t hold their wee wee in 😉

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM

It’s a good job Hughton was manager when Newcastle United were relegated as old Pardew wouldn’t have had the skills to win promotion.

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Guvnor

You ate now banned from this blog as you seem to have forgotten the blackout

Goodbye 😉

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Pardew needs banned!

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Newcastle United are playing the worst football under Pardew.

• Average_Contents

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Puppet
    I hereby give you notice that we as,a nation intend to ban you from all things football related! Indefinitely!

Now can we continue with the blackout? Excellent news!

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Pardew is useless and the 15th richest man in the UK needs to sack the idiot.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I can’t believe I haven’t got anyone to come on my welsh train,

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Welshgeordie alright?

• welshgeordie9

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Perhaps I should change the word welsh to geordie

Geordie train that’s better

Choo choo

• welshgeordie9

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I’m alright guvnor and how are you this evening

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Sound pardews still in work though.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Ciaran you need to stop biting everytime somebody says something

• guvnor

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Barcelona is starting.

• welshgeordie9

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

guvnor do you think pardew will still be our manager next season

• guvnor