The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Chris Hughton – I Was Totally Confident

6:11 pm, Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 78 Comments

Being a manager in the Premier League is certainly a ruthless business, and with the increased pay-out to Premier League clubs over the next three years, it’s not going to get any easier, and probably will only get worse with managers continually being fired.

Chris Hughton

Chris Hughton – in happier times when Norwich manager

PL clubs now receive anywhere from £60M to £100M every May, once the season ends, and that’s an increase from last year when the payments were anywhere from £40M to £60M, so there is great pressure on managers to at least keep their clubs in the Premier League.

Chris Hughton, the former Newcastle manager was fired on Sunday form Norwich City, who at the moment are 4th bottom of the league, but still 5 points above 3rd bottom Fulham and 7 points above rock bottom Sunderland, who were hammered 5-1 at Tottenham on Monday night, and look like they have given up the fight – at least based on their second half performance in that game.

This is what Chris Hughton has said in a League Managers Association statement:

“I am very disappointed to have lost my job, but immensely proud to have served as Norwich City’s manager.”

“I understand the recent frustrations, but I remained totally confident that we were on course to create history at the club, by retaining our top-flight status and move into a fourth consecutive season in the Premier League.”

“Collectively we were ready for the challenge that the final five games presented, and we believed we would reward the club and the supporters by achieving that objective.”  “Over the last two seasons many new players arrived at the club and it has been a period of transition.”

“But I would like to put on record that the commitment and work ethic shown by them, together with the players still retained from when I was appointed, has been exceptional.”

“The same applies to my coaching and backroom staff, whose contribution has been immense.” “I now wish to reflect before preparing for the next challenge. Norwich City is a great club and I feel honoured to have had the privilege of being its manager.”

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan had this to say about Chris’ sacking:

“We are all very disappointed for Chris and in particular with the timing of his dismissal.” “We must recognize that Norwich City has come a long way in a very short space of time and that just four years ago they were competing in League One.”

“Chris has an excellent record of managerial success, initially with Newcastle and later with Birmingham.” “So it is with regret that we see one of our top English managers being dismissed without being given the opportunity to see out the season.””

Chris is a class act and a gentleman, and it’s very likely he will be in management again as early as the summer.

A Championship club could do a lot worse than appointing Chris – since he had Newcastle promoted at the very first attempt back in the 2009-2010 season, when all looked lost in July of 2009 when he was appointed as the interim Newcastle manager, and he had Birmingham City in the playoffs in 2012.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

78 responses so far ↓

• 1 yo-yo // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Hoots has real dignity

• 2 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Famous last words from a gentleman.

Jesper…. EMT is managementspeak (bullshidt) for Executive Management Team. There’s also the acronym (please don’t ask) SMT being Senior etc.

• 3 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Repost from previous in the interest of good order….

Mr Average, sir, does that mean we can’t even ask Online trick questions?

Anyway Mr Average_contents, who’s the head honcho round here, the Admiral of the Fleet Jesper or you?

In the interest of discipline on the lower decks, we need to know.

• 4 Charlietoon // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Poor fella just needed a bot more luck. I feel sorry for them and the ricky van situation. How gutted would we be if we spent that money on a striker who scored once all season. I’m afraid Chris might get the Routledge syndrome and find himself getting clubs promoted and then getting sacked for more fashionable choices. Hope it’s not the case.

• 5 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Letch

More important things to be doing than dealing with your childish nonsense.

Some of us have campaigns to be involved with, and meetings to attend as opposed to being cynical, petty little keyboard warriors.

Guess what category you fall into buddy 😉

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM

He will be back in a job very soon I suppose!

lesh…I am the boss 😉 lol

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:33 PM

…well captain!

• 8 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Well I never! I am the official Blog bullsh!tter stopper or OBBS for short 😉

But if you wish me to be in command I will glady accept and promise to fulfil my duties to the best of my abilities! What are my new duties? I feel like pardew!

Radio silence is indeed required as we do not want to miss the post

So with that in mind, everybody go dark :)

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:35 PM

lesh…did you see the link I posted earlier about being an expert? It is very funny if you work in those circles :)

• 10 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Or we could all just jump into jespers box, oh the joys I can’t wait! Can you?

• 11 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Ciaran

Do these important meetings involve going onto Facebook and commenting?

• 12 validator // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Lesh belt up I’m the voice of reason on here and your out of order.

• 13 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Average

Oh yes. I’m in the middle of an important meeting now. Care to explain that nonsensical comment?

• 14 toon kk // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The way MA treated CH was terrible just to bring in the cockney rebble.
    at least all the players pulled in the same direction under C.H

• 15 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Ciaran

Wasn’t having a go, I’ve seen you post sometimes on pages I get news feeds off ( well I think it’s you) but alas you never reply lol! so get yourself away from the imaginary corner you’ve backed yourself into 😉

Now, back to this “blackout” who would like to be my right-hand man and enforce said blackout whilst I put my kids to bed? Excellent!

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:46 PM

AC…you are not the Captain of this ship mate 😉 lol

• 17 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

to be honest I think Hoots had taken us as far as he could, but that boat has certainly sailed with pardew

• 18 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Average

Not in a corner, just came across like a challenge as who in their right mind would equate ‘meetings’ to commenting on Facebook forums? So it did appear to be a sarcastic attack, even if it was not meant as one.

I do attend meetings for various fans groups, as well as MAOC meetings as well as board meetings for NUST, but I do tend to take some flak from certain people on this site so sometimes I do tend to come from a defensive position.

• 19 validator // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM

The manager of the good ship NUFC has proved beyond doubt that he is a pirate.

• 20 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

On topic with regards Hughton, I do think he has been harshly treated at Norwich, but he’s a very good manager who will have trouble finding work again. Absolute gentleman who conducts himself with poise and dignity at all times. A man like him was never going to fit in with the staff at NUFC.

• 21 validator // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Ciaran you have to understand most of your detractors are lower order plebeian types.

• 22 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Validator

I wouldn’t say that. Some very intelligent people can’t stand me! haha it takes all sorts to make the world go round.

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

AC…be careful about that mate, cause I am thinking outside the box these days 😉

…and according to lesh that can be dangerous (not thinking outside the box, but me in general thinking outside of it)

*don’t know if that came out right? lol

• 24 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I see nobody was willing (or in jasper’s case unable due to old age) to take the mantle so to speak in regards to the blackout. Disappointed is not a word I use lightly but unfortunately I feel it aptly describes my current feelings!

Ciaran

I totally understand your reservations regarding your standpoint on a few fellow bloggers but as I said it wasn’t an attack, as I feel like you regarding club issues! Just banter to a fellow regime hater :)

• 25 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Now can we all PLEASE stop clogging the blog with idle chit chat just incase online guy decides to blab like a child that can’t hold their wee wee in 😉

• 26 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM

It’s a good job Hughton was manager when Newcastle United were relegated as old Pardew wouldn’t have had the skills to win promotion.

• 27 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Guvnor

You ate now banned from this blog as you seem to have forgotten the blackout

Goodbye 😉

• 28 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Pardew needs banned!

• 29 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Newcastle United are playing the worst football under Pardew.

• 30 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Puppet
    I hereby give you notice that we as,a nation intend to ban you from all things football related! Indefinitely!

Now can we continue with the blackout? Excellent news!

• 31 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Pardew is useless and the 15th richest man in the UK needs to sack the idiot.

• 32 welshgeordie9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I can’t believe I haven’t got anyone to come on my welsh train,

• 33 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Welshgeordie alright?

• 34 welshgeordie9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Perhaps I should change the word welsh to geordie

Geordie train that’s better

Choo choo

• 35 welshgeordie9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I’m alright guvnor and how are you this evening

• 36 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Sound pardews still in work though.

• 37 welshgeordie9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Ciaran you need to stop biting everytime somebody says something

• 38 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Barcelona is starting.

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

guvnor do you think pardew will still be our manager next season

• 40 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Come on!

• 41 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Hopefully not Welshgeordie.

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM

It won’t be long before newcastle play swans god I’m dreading that match as I want both of them to win.

• 43 martoon // Apr 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Evening guys – I know it will never happen but would anybody swap Pardew for Hughton?

• 44 GeordieTwo // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM

If you’re a manager in the Prem Hoots the only thing you can be totally confident of is being sacked. Unless you work for Mike NoNuts of course. Pardew knows he is completely safe as we can’t be relegated this season.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:05 PM

So essentially with the Charnley promotion we are being asked to be patient while the club does……. nothing! Yes that’s right they will make no attempt to win anything at all. They will not attempt to rise in the league. Their only stated goal is to sit mid table in security and collect more money. I think they’re going to find out that even that pathetic lack of ambition is difficult to do with the people that own and run the club. 👿

• 46 GeordieTwo // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM

How do you hang a man up by his plums if he has none? This is our dilemma with Mike NoNuts.

• 47 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Oh Ciaran….

More important things to be doing than dealing with your childish nonsense.

Work, work, work, work….

You seen Blazin’ Saddles?

Work, work, work, work….

• 48 Crow59 // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Anyone got a link for the bayern vs man utd game please as nutjob and guru are under investigation?

• 49 wolfshead@toon // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM

hang him by his moobs geordie mate

• 50 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Crow59

Try FSI mate

• 51 validator // Apr 9, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Vurnon Anita played 32 games 1 assist and 1 goal so he’s prolific and Jack Colback is signing on a four year contract.

• 52 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Anyone see evre’s goal? What a cracker!

• 53 stuart no9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:10 PM

when you think of all these good managers available and we are left with this useless nuggett , really makes my teeth itch – it really does .

• 54 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Well looks like no CL for Man U next season :) .

Lest see how many of their plastic fans jump ship ? .

• 55 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM

That’s more like the Bayern of old with superb counter attacking .

Hate that Guardiola has turned them into Barca mk.2, they destroyed Barca over two legs not using tikka takka FFS .

• 56 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Quick update Lad’s

I’m not expecting to much on Thursday as regard’s getting all my questions answered . I can imagine a lot of no comment answers, so don’t expect to much , I’m not.

This was Kindly Suggested by Mike himself, and I had to jump through a few Hoops to get to that point, and this arrangement .

I’m doing this to get some answer’s. I , like many of you, want to know what’s going on at our club, and what the future hold’s .

I’m just a Gadgee, but I will talk to anyone .

Will report back Thursday. Cheers Lad’s.

• 57 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Online guy

Cheers for the update mate

Please ask where the money has gone you know the 45m profit from transfers over the last 5 years 😉 oh oh oh and why pardew is still the manager if he wants good football oh oh oh and….nevermind, there’s simply to many to put down. I’d be here all night 😉

• 58 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM

…and ask him if he is aware that if he set the bar higher the prize money alone could get us a better manager and us fans could start to enjoy some football again 😉

• 59 Graeme // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Online, good luck mate, I wish you well, hoping they will provide answers to some of the questions I just know you’re going to ask lol.
    Looking forward to your feedback tomorrow.

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM

About the Q & A:

“And so it was that later
    As Online Guy told his tale
    That Mike’s face, at first just ghostly,
    Turned a whiter shade of pale”

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM

…”He said, “There is no reason
    And the truth is plain to see.”
    But I wandered through my question cards
    And they would not let him be
    One of sixteen angry speakers
    Who were leaving after the toast
    And although my eyes were open wide
    They might have just as well been closed”

• 62 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Jesper , I like that ! ha !

• 63 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

…”He said, “I’m here and I will not leave,”
    Though we were miles at sea.
    I pointed out this detail
    And forced him to agree,
    Saying, “You must be the Cockney Mafia
    Who took Newcastle for a ride.”
    And he smiled at me so viciously
    That what left of me straightway died.”

• 64 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM

“And so it was that later
    As Online Guy told his tale
    That Mike’s face, at first just ghostly,
    Turned a whiter shade of pale”

• 65 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Jesper , get back in yer box !

• 66 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Enjoyed The Man U match ..Those Jormins know a thing or two about Football mind !

• 67 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

:( (never allowed to express myself out of the box am I?)

• 68 yo-yo // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:13 PM

and then there’s the Sale of Goods Act as well – were we really playing football ?

• 69 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Yo-yo

I was one of the first to slag the club off over this and even posted the link on here in disgust at us ripping saints fans off, but to be fair to the club, the tickets saints fans paid for were the same price as our fans paid in the leazes end, they moaned because the gallowgate was cheaper! as it always is!

So basically any club can now complain to the premier league if the home team’s fans pay cheaper no matter where they sit! Also our fans got charged £37 which is the same their fans got chargesd originally at our place! I wonder what was the cheapest ticket prices for their fans at St mary’s and if we could do anything about it! Ridiculous in my opinion

• 70 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Yo-yo

Or anyone else for that matter, here is the link with NUFC explaining the club’s stance

Like I said I think the club has every right to charge saints fans the same as our fans paid in the same stand, in our own stadium! That’s if the club are telling the truth about the premier league gauging it against the gallowgate! Any thoughts anyone?

• 71 jayphoto // Apr 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Decent read on jack colback! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2568846/Jack-Colback-Geordie-hes-Mackem-hoping-bring-Sunderland-piece-silverware-1973.html

Personally i’d take him, hes a player that was looking a real top player 2 years ago, plays with passion etc snd thats something we certainly miss!
    Never hurts to have some geordie born lads in the squad

• 72 jimmysmith // Apr 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Bayern Munich busily reinventing football? Two at the back, WTF! Lahm and Kroos playing as holding mids, anchoring attacks and a left back pushing on. And with typical German innovation and cool precision, make it work. Surely the best team ever.

• 73 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Crikey, gawd mummy guvnor, it ain’t ‘alf yawn quiet on here.

Jesper’s scared to come aht of ‘is box, Average’s layin’ the law dahn, Online don’t wanta spill the beans and Ciaran, bless ‘is little cottons just works, works, works and works awl day n awl night.

Speakin baht working all day n all night, where’s Ibiza? Has Average silenced him?

• 74 lesh // Apr 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM

This Champions League malarky’s looking tricky for us this summer.

No Manu in the Champs league,no Barcelona, this term.

ManU and Barca, two not-so big clubs now and that means we can compete with other so-called big clubs for players.

Hello, This is Huston, come in, hello, anyone there??

• 75 lesh // Apr 10, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Average…. Your blackout order’s been heard, they’ve all heard it.

Schidt!!

• 76 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM

So what are you saying lesh…are we not going to qualify for CL next season?

…now I have never!

• 77 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:42 AM

• 78 lesh // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Jesper.

What I was trying to say is that things should be easier for us in the transfer market this summer.

Now that two of the so-called ‘bigger clubs’, Barca and ManU, are out of the ECL, that should make them less attractive to players so we’ll stand a better chance of landing talented ones!

previous post: Newcastle Tracking Top Ghana International Striker