The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Demba Ba Talks About Best Friend Yohan Cabaye

2:02 pm, Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

It was great to see Demba Ba score that 87th minute winner for Chelsea last night against PSG, and in his after-match comments, Demba Ba had a bit of a go at manager Jose Mourinho, for hardly playing him this season.

ba scores

Demba Ba scores 87th minute winner last night

This is what Demba Ba said after the game last night:

“I’m not out for revenge, maybe Mourinho doesn’t have strikers to his liking,  but I know that we have three great strikers and I think that a lot of clubs would like to have them.

“I’m happy. I’m happy to have liberated us. I haven’t been given my chance much this season but here tonight, I’ve taken it. It’s the first time I’ve wished PSG to lose, and it’s me who scores the goal – luckily for Chelsea.

“It all happened so quickly, I saw the ball, and it was in the goal. I just do what I have to do when I get chances.”  “I didn’t have chances this season but tonight I took it.”

“I’m happy for Chelsea but it’s hard to see them lose, especially with one of my best friends, Yohan Cabaye, on the other side.”

It’s good that Demba mentions one of his best friends Yohan Cabaye – after they were team-mates on Tyneside, having both been signed in the summer of 2011.

Demba was born in Sevres, which is community in the southwestern suburbs of Paris, so PSG is his home-town club.

And the Senegal striker has shown that if he is played in the Premier League consistently, as he was at West Ham and Newcastle, he will score goals, and even vital goals, like the one he scored last night.

But at Chelsea,  the best he gets are late substitute appearances, but he’s still got 6 goals in 23 appearances this season, to go with his 6 goals in 22 appearances for the second half of last season, after leaving Newcastle fifteen months ago.

Ba scored a fantastic 29 goals in 58 appearances for the Magpies, in what was his best ever spell in the Premier League.

Loic Remy should take note that top players at Newcastle, who are stars and play in every game don’t necessarily have that when they join top clubs – as Demba Ba and Yohan Cabaye have found out at Chelsea and PSG respectively.

We still expect Loic will now join a top club in the summer – maybe Arsenal or Tottenham in London.

What do you think?

Tags: Demba Ba · Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM

yes one will be a title winner and the other is in a european cup semi final, both of them being paid zillions and both working with proper football coaches.

and to think they could have stayed with a head butting, no-mark dinosaur on a fraction of the wages and got top 10. what were they thinking!!

• 2 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Ed catch yourself on for goodness sake! With a headline like that you make it sound like they made the wrong decision to join two of the best club’s in world football and should have stayed with us!

Cabaye will be a regular for them next season, even if he isn’t, his talents are better served for a club like PSG than they ever were for us.

As for Ba? Maybe it was the money he left for, or maybe it was the silverware, but he is part of a project, albeit a smaller part. Should we slate players who move to bigger clubs to test themselves as opposed to being big fish in a small pond? – Yes NUFC is a small pond these days.

• 3 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Pardew the loser and his league one football have to be confined to the dustbin of football history.

• 4 toon kk // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM

We have no stars at Newcastle, cabaye was sold but spnds time warming a bench and Remy is a very good payer on loan. The rest of our squad are just average players in fact they wouldn’t get on a bench at a top club.

• 5 Shot Bru // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Haha…you’re on fire Rotonda!! Totally agree with your points of view on the current situation at our club.

• 6 guvnor // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Even a small pond has some life in it unlike Newcastle United!

• 7 Ciaran // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I see a load of this bull**** on Facebook where people are posting comments about how funny it is to see players like Ba and Cabaye sit on the benches of other teams while we are so infinitely better off.

If these people took 2 seconds just to open their eyes and take off their black and white tinted spectacles they would see that these players craved the ambition that this club does not show and some of our fans have the gall to LAUGH at them!?!?

Staggering, it truly is.

• 8 mag // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Remy should run away from this place before his career disappears down the tube under the moronic coaching of Pardew and co.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM

if i was french and had the option of being a regular/squad player for PSG, winning league titles, cups and competing in the champions league as well as living in Paris or playing for newcastle where the club dont progress…simple choice.

• 10 Generic Commenter // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I’d much prefer to sit on a bench for 70 minutes in the Champions League quarters than play for 90 minutes and lose 2-0 against Brighton

• 11 mag // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM

They would probably prefer to sit on a park bench in Paris than work for Ashley and the clown!

• 12 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Don’t players have to play a certain amount of minutes or games to be able to qualify for a winner’s medal? I’m pretty sure they used to! Has it changed now?

• 13 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Despite what Pardew says, playing in front of 50,000 doesn’t mean much at all these days. Therefore, like Rotonda says, they made the right choices in terms of achievement and accolades.

• 14 mag // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Once the fans realise the regime is not interested then in time they will become disinterested and find more productive ways to spend their time and money leading to a dramatic fall in attendances.

• 15 toon kk // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Im afraid Nufc is dieing a sad death. A lot of people crave a good game never mind a win but we don’t even see a entertaining game these days. Can someone explain what you get out of going SJP? Even if you’re tickets are paid for, everyone boos and leaves early.
    If I had a free ticket I couldn’t sit through a match watchig ateam not even trying.

• 16 stuart no9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM

rotonda @1– they must be a pair of idiots – hahahahaah

• 17 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I would never choose or accept the bench over playing.

…but that is different mentality I guess? How many of you have been either close or actually been a pro at any sport?

And is that how you think?

• 18 Patoon // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Its my birthday next sat, the 19th of April and ther’s nothing more i’d like 2 do than go and c my beloved toon play Swansea, my wife is even urging me to go, but i just can’t bring myself 2 waste money on flights (from Northern Ireland) and accomodation 2 watch the shite that Pardew serves up every week, now if ther was a mass protest organised i would b straight on that plane, the club is an absolute joke, Charnley being appointed is just another distraction, funny how it has been announced on the back of a terrible run, 2 take the heat off Pardew, our club is going nowhere, i honestly believe that Scumberland hav far more ambition than us and evern if they go down when Poyet gets a pre season and gets his mark on the team they’l b back up and maybe pass us on our way down, so so many good managers out ther that could work with our current squad and make us alot better than wot we are, with a new manager we could spend 20m and could challenge for top 6 or 7, with Pardew we need 2 spend 40 to 50m and he’s stil gonna fail

• 19 Patoon // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Mike Ashley was a very promising squash player, would u think that to look at him now lol

• 20 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Patoon…that money would be better spend of charity and less selfish as well ;)

• 21 Patoon // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

jesperfuglsang

So fcuking frustrating being a Newcastle fan, why couldn’t we just get a rich arab that wants 2 throw money at the club and make us all happy

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Patoon…it has not been funny for a while sadly mate :(

…and I am not sure it is going to change anytime soon!

• 23 Graeme // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Patoon, if MA fancies a game of squash, I would be more than happy to drive the road roller!!!!

• 24 jazzyp // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Patoon
    Admittedly we have been shocking the last 2 month,Im as p@ssed off as anyone with the way the season is ending in yet another disaster……….But my argument is 2-3 month ago we were challenging for Europe, Above Manure,10 points clear of Southampton and the season wasn’t looking half bad.
    Now everything is going t@ts up your an idiot for going to the games to support your team. What if the toon smash Swansea 3 or 4-0.Would that not be classed as a cracking day out ??

• 25 ilovetoon8788 // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM

i think we have good individual players.

but we don’t have the manager to get those good individuals to play together in a proper system.

we just have a very very poor mediocre manager in pardew.

• 26 Oldgit1 // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM

@ Jesper didn’t the current owners of man city want to buy us and Ashley refused, he really is a Pratt, hope I’m on guard at the gates of heaven when he passes away. Oh the joy of sending him to hell , better still if you believe in reincarnation send him down as a mackem.

• 27 Oldgit1 // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Pardews bitch

• 28 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Oldgit…there were some rumors about that back then, but I am not sure whether it is true or not ?

• 29 wolfshead@toon // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM

jesper

yeh but one day you will look back it all and laugh even rotonda might as well haha

• 30 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Wolfs…but until then? ;)

• 31 wolfshead@toon // Apr 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM

even ashley must realise things have to change so come the summer he has a simple choice over pardew back him or sack doing nothing will affect his long term money making scheme getting relegated means back to square one

• 32 stuart no9 // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM

jazzy , we have never been challenging for europe, coz we dont want it . they have even said that , so why would we challenge for it . We have went on a run and won a few games , every club does sometime in the season , its the end of the season thats important not where we were in november or whatever . we are now playing relagation football, fact , look at the points to games ratio , that will tell you .

• 33 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Wolfshead

The problem is there isn’t anyone at the club to tell fatty what an awful job pardspew is doing so as far as he is concerned puppet is hitting his target of top 10 so what’s to worry about! Even if someone did tell him what’s fundamentally wrong with having a dinosaur running the first team, he likes the egotistical, deluded liar for towing the party line and not rocking the boat!

• 34 Average_Contents // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Oh and obviously for being a puppet ;)

• 35 toon kk // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM

We wouldn’t cope in league one at the moment. We certainly arnt even playing championship level football. The wheels have well and truly come off but still 50000 pile in SJP to watch sh.t you can’t really blame Mash its a business but the fans should know better than been prepared to turn up. Everyone is feeding a problem . So them that go shouldn’t complain.

I’ve won’t renew my season ticket until I see some ambition.

• 36 Mr Toon82 // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Hi everyone.
    Can’t believe some of the doom and gloom coming from some of you. Up to until xmas we was having a great season. Then we lost our best player and its all gone a bit wrong but we are safe this season. So lets look forward to next season and hopefully a good transfer window

• 37 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Does anybody know what the difference is in prize money finishing 7th instead of let say 10th?

• 38 jazzyp // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Stuartno9
    Were we not above Manure and comfortably above Southampton a few month ago as I stated then mate ??
    did I openly admit we were shocking at present and that everything had gone T@ts up.
    Are you trying to tell me that the players are told to lose games so we wont qualify for a European competition ??

• 39 yo-yo // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Ruddy

Paraphrasing what you’ve said above…

It is a tragedy that NUFC is not attractive enough a club to retain the services of top players like Cabaye and Ba. To make us a place these players would like to make their careers we have to have ambition and build a side that gels on and off the pitch. We want our best players to be united with the club in seeking great performances on the pitch, consistently, by showing the drive and commitment to reach CL standard every season, and win tournaments as well as be able to match the best four teams in England.

Hope I’ve got your sentiments about right there :)

IMO the best way NUFC could become profitable is through increased investment in the playing side and in our youth. We do not need to break the bank with huge wages but we do need to prove that a player can win something with the Toon. We also need to have a squad systmen which can bring young playes through to the first 11 without putting them under too much pressure. Set them up to succeed not fail.

The biggest demotivator is knowing it doesn’t really matter, that your bosses don’t care what your performances are like, and that you will be sold to an ambitious side as soon as you show promise and deliver some solid form on the pitch – and increase your trading value. I don’t care what the business model is – it is failing because our player assets are grown only to be traded and not to be an integral part of a good team. The business psychology behind Mash’s Newcastle Direct is hopelessly flawed and will not even provide him with as good a return on his investment as he could achieve. YOu don’t make a fiver year profit of £45m on player trading if you are seriously investing in impriving the side. We are very lucky to be where we are given the quality of the coaching as well as the shortcomings of playing side

• 40 yo-yo // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM

jesper

I think its about £0.75m per place so £2.25m for 3 places lower.

• 41 toon kk // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Mr toon
    yes we were doing better earlier in the season but my complaint isn’t just this season it’s last as well. MA had chance after chance. We were nearly relegated last season remember.
    are you happy with the running of the club?

Selling and not replacing , a manager not upto the job, relying on one loan signing to keep us in the premier league, unfit player’s not giving 100% the list goes on and on.

• 42 jazzyp // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Strange everyone was saying Faye was doing such a magnificent job with the fitness side of things compared to last term and now she is a bad apple as well

• 43 yo-yo // Apr 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

jazzy

No strength in depth bound to have an effect even top fitness coach can’t get around. Looking at Benny wonder if he even listens to her, let alone works on his conditioning

• 44 jazzyp // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yo yo
    Benny has been in the same shape for the last three season’s mate.That’s why he has been picking up so many injuries….And that is by his own admission.
    Agree we do not have any strength in depth as our youth policy has failed to deliver anything of substance

• 45 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

yo-yo….. You’re way off the mark with £750k a place, it was about £800k last season and what with the new Prem deal, I thnk it’s about £1m, plus tv money of course.

So, if Ashley had any sense, he’d have driven Pardew to finish at least seventh rather than the tenth. As they’ve budgeted for tenth, by finishing seventh, the club would have received £3m more than anticipated – enough to pay Pardew off at a net cost of £0.

Now if I can think out of the box, why not Ashley?

Ah, but maybe Ashley’s content with Pardew and wants to keep him on.

Schidt!

:-(

• 46 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I suppose then I Mike NoNuts would just think a little bit bigger then we could easily afford a better manager and in the same time try an finish higher – playing better football and please the fans the same time as he (Mike NoNuts) can strive for mediocrity ;)

…everyone is a winner!

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

*I = if

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM

lesh…you are reading my mind mate ;) …but then again you are using a Nokia Lumia as me! lol

• 49 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I don’t think it is coincidence we now suddenly have these spate of mystery injuries.

We had people some of whom should have been motivated for the WC who have basically packed up.

I remember when KK first came everyone was suddenly out of the sick bay and off the sick list desperate to impress and play for the manager.

I deplore Pardew as much as I revered and admired KK. Ash has made some appalling appointments with KK seeing right through it and walking away with a bit of integrity. Gullit back in the day also had the decency to walk. The head butter has zero class.

• 50 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Surprisingly to me, I have had personal contact with MA. I can’t say anything at this stage, more on this.. Thursday .. Please don’t ask me any questions as I cannot answer you for a reason, I’m not being impolite .

Respect to him for his help today mind.

Will report all on here, hopefully, Thursday Chaps.

Sorry about the Embargo.

• 51 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Jesper.

A remarkable coincidence, similar message in two simultaneous posts but delivered from opposite angles.

It must be the Lumias doing our thinking.

Scary!!

=P

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Scart stuff ;) lol

Online…why did you have to say you have info to begin with?

..it is like telling a kid you have candy but they can’t have any until friday – that is just mean man! lol

• 53 jazzyp // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Online
    Look forward to your posts come Thursday mate.
    Rotonda
    Didn’t Gullit walk because he had lost his power struggle with Mr shearer and co ??

• 54 jazzyp // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Jesper
    I bet your as intrigued as I am

• 55 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Online Guy…..

Aw c’mon man, spill the beans.

You were alluding to talking to MA’s no. two last week, now it’s the main man himself!

C’mon, he’s helped lift your depression by telling you, in confidence of course that Pardew’s on his bike soon, he’s gonna appoint a proper manager in Van Gaal and he’s gonna spend at least £50m this window. Oh, and Champs League qualification’s the aim in two years time?

C’m Online Guy, which of the above’s wrong? Put your fans out of our misery.

;)

• 56 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM

mr toon

ash thrives on people like you who will just glibly accept the endless s—e and mediocrity, no questions asked.

Cabaye played in 5 losses out of 7 games before he left. I think our problems are far more deep rooted than the departure of a single player to crash so spectacularly.

If it all goes t-ts up because of one player you have to look at the manger. Marveaux had more assists than cabaye last season but isn’t even in the squad. Ben Arfa is on the bench and is played out of position in cameos and Abeid is out of the country.

If you dump your flair players and insist on sticking 10 men behind the ball till the 70th minute every match how can you be surprised when we haven’t scored in 11 out of the last 15 games.

Contrast Pardew’s approach to a Martinez Rodgers, Laudrup, Pochetinno etc.

Everton lost Lukaku out for 2 months but they didn’t just pack up in Jan over 1 player.

• 57 wolfshead@toon // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM

rotonda

kk got compo for constructive dismissal pards knew what he was getting into so he will be here till he is sacked to get compo unless a big club comes for him perhaps rangers?

• 58 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Online Guy…… Attention seeking like Ciaran does?

;)

• 59 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM

jazzyp

walked nonetheless with no compo, didn’t drag it out like the head butter,

• 60 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM

wolf

that could just be the dream scenario all round

• 61 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:38 PM

jazzyp….. Gullit was sacked by Shepherd because he dropped Shearer and lost to the mackems.

No doubt Shearer’d been stirring the pot though.

• 62 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:43 PM

jazzyp mate…it is just not fair that’s what it is ;) lol

Wolfs…here in DK clubs has stop sacking expensive managers – instead they are just degraded to youth team until they quite themself ;)

• 63 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Online guy

you’re not troy stavers are you? There are a lot of gullible and naive people on here (me included) who’ve been through the ringer too many times to believe anything ever good is going to happen!!

lesh

Now that really is the dream scenario. can just imagine Van Gall giving up going to Brazil with Holland and their next euro campaign to come here!!

• 64 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Lesh, this is for real ,so just relax, I said all I need to say in post 50. There is a reason,. bare with me , no more questions is what I was hoping for , Cheers .

• 65 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Jazzy, Thanks you put it just right .

• 66 Online Guy // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Rotonda

I am not Troy..! please Chill on this .will report back .

• 67 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Relax Online, just joshin’. ;)

Jesperfuglsang, put Pardew in charge of the kids and he’d go for constructive dismissal!

But and more to the point, their parents would be banging on the gates of SJP just to get their hands around his neck!

Rotunda….. Troy Stavers, there’s a blast ftom the past. You’ll be suggesting Online’s really Stardust next. =D

• 68 lesh // Apr 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Rotonda… Meant to say that by all accounts, Van Gaal’s all but signed up for Spurs… Or could it be us?

Hey ho

• 69 Rotonda heights // Apr 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM

lesh

gullit walked he wasn’t sacked so got no compo

Van gall to spurs sound about right. shame.

previous post: It’s Been Utterly Hopeless Since We Beat Stoke 5-1