The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle’s Poor Premier League Record Under Mike Ashley

3:15 pm, Thursday, April 10th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 196 Comments

Alan Pardew has given his press conference for the game at Stoke, and any chance of getting win went up ion smoke when he said Loic Remy wouldn’t make the game, but at least he’s back in training now and could make the home games against Swansea a week on Saturday.

alan pardew 0-3 to sunderland

Alan Pardew – even Alan cannot watch :D

Newcastle have been in bad slump over the last five games but we’ve also been without two of our best players in Mathieu Debuchy and Loic Remy, and Moussa Sissoko also missed the last game and will be out another two weeks too.

The season is limping to an end – and it’s just a good job we got 33 points in our first 18 league games, otherwise we would have been fighting relegation – with only 13 points from our last 15 games.

Alan was asked about the appointment of Lee Charnley as the new Managing Director at Newcastle:

“I’m pleased that Lee’s been appointed in that role,” “He’s somebody who knows the club inside out.”

“He’s worked on transfers and has good experience on those, and I hope we can work together in the summer to secure the players we need and we’re focusing on that at the moment.

“There’s absolutely no conflict in terms of where we’re going. The owner’s set out the criteria and we’ve got to bring in players to take us forward.”

“We’re in a position to bring in players in the summer and hopefully push on from where we finish this season, and that’s likely to be eighth, ninth or tenth.”

Lee’s appointment did not bring much hope to Newcastle fans because the very long statement issued by Lee on his appointment looked like it had been written by Mike Ashley.

And it basically said the club will keep doing what they’ve been doing, and not over-spend on players, and keep running a tight ship financially.

We’ve heard all that before.

laughing mike ashley

Mike Ashley – not much to smile about

And that hasn’t got us much success in the seven years Ashley has owned the club – and in that time we’ve only qualified for Europe once.

And that was last season, and we were so inadequately prepared for that competition that we only just survived being relegated.

So Mike may have been wildly successful in his other business pursuits, but he has not brought much success to Newcastle United, and in the seven seasons he’s been owner, we have finished in the following league positions:

2008 12th
2009 18th – relegated
2010 – promoted as Champions from Championship
2011 12th
2012 5th – qualified for Europe League
2013 16th
2014 – 9th or 10th likely

That’s mediocre at best, and in the Premier League our average finishing position has been 12th, and that’s simply not good enough for a club with the prestige, history and fan support of Newcastle United.

That’s the truth about the third best supported club in England.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League · Transfer News and Rumours

196 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM

So in 5 seasons in the PL we’ve had 4 bottom half finishes (including 1 relegation) and only 1 top 10 finish? Granted that should be 2 in 6 following this season, yet some people think Ashley wants to build a platform for us to grow and develop? Pull the other one.

• 2 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Good afternoon Chap’s !

I’m back at my desk, and expecting a phone call at 16:00hrs precisely.

I’m not expecting too much in the way of answer’s , so don’t you.

At least I am in this position , and I’m batting for the blog here.

Crikey !

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM

We might finish 10 or 11 this season, but in reality how close could we get to finish 16? ;)

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM

OG…good work mate…but you really have build the news up to something big so you cannot just bring it down again ;) it doesn’t work like that! lol

• 5 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Online

What is this in relation to?

• 6 toon kk // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM

The way we’re going is, we’ll have a financially secure club in the championship.

Fed up with it all to be honest, looks like the players are too, they don’t even want to play at the moment.

• 7 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM

online,

so, whats this news?

• 8 ash1001 // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Odds on Remy, Debuchy, and Sissoko do not play another game this season, niggling injuries will keep them out.
    Didier Dechamps master plan to have everyone fit for theWorld Cup.

• 9 ash1001 // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM

ED’s blog is all about tracking and advertising hits, the articles are secondary, so protect your browser guys and just enjoy the chat.

• 10 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Dok it isn’t news that you’ve posted something interesting and worth reading.

• 11 Mister Tuff // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I reckon Mr “El Gourdo” Tubbs will ring Online Guy and then just blow a raspberry down the line.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM

i thought OG had some exciting breaking news but by the sound of it he’s only asking a few questions which will probably get the usual response sadly

• 13 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

More exciting developments on Ashleys land auction no doubt.

• 14 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM

so, online guy is doing an interview with our fearless leader? are we allowed to submit questions for him to ask?

here’s mine: if i was walking down the street and saw you (ashley), and i swatted you upside the head with a rolled up newspaper and said, “bad owner, baaaaad owner”.. would you think you deserved it?

• 15 Mister Tuff // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I hope Online Guy manges to learn some information about the club. I could imagine though that he might learn nothing and Tubbs did his salesman routine resulting in OG buying half a dozen SD Mugs, a couple of Toon shits and a couple of season tickets.

• 16 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM

If Ashley wanted to advance the club, he wouldn’t employ the manager everyone else has sacked.

• 17 Mister Tuff // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM

errors
    manages = manages
    shits = shirts

• 18 Mister Tuff // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM

last try- manges = manages.

• 19 Rotonda heights // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM

People keep trashing our players but only a goon like Pardew could stuff this season up so spectacularly.

It was perfect for him, no Europe. no domestic cup involvement, no fatigue excuse whatsoever and half a dozen if not more players looking to get on the plane to Brazil, what other motivation was needed…!!!

Yes we sold Cabaye and Remy was injured….ahem. But look at Everton, Lukaku out for 2 months.

Pardew’s negative, defensive, containing football meant playmakers Marveaux and Ben Arfa were never going to be allowed to take over from Cabaye and so 10 men behind the ball until the 70th minute of every game has become the norm.

The definition of stupidity is to keep trying the same thing and hoping for a different outcome. That in a nutshell is where we are with the headbutter. Who in their right mind would sign for this cretin?

• 20 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM

@14 he’d probably call the puzzle factory and have your day release revoked.

• 21 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Reckon Pardew should go the whole hog at Stoke:

Haidara – Tiote – Mbiwa – Gosling – Anita
    Dummett – Collo – Taylor – Willo – Santon

• 22 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM

@ 10 & 20

im not taking the bait, so give it a rest….

• 23 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM

———————– Elliot———————–

• 24 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Questions for Mike NoNuts:
    1. Mike it’s clear we have made tremendous progress under your stewardship. We are on track to beat our incredible 16th place finish of last season. What are your projections for next season?
    2. Mike, since you are now suffering from a severe case of nutticus shrivelous is it possible we won’t bring in any top players in the summer? Is it also possible you will hide in the castle and let Pardew give us the usual bollocks?
    3. Mike, were you born stupid in terms of football or did you have to develop your ignorance over the years?

• 25 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM

We are a bit more cultured this side of the pond, we don’t wander about assaulting people with the Evening Chronicle reading it does more damage.

• 26 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Apparently Krul is likely to be available.

• 27 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

we should be in the Championship.

we currently have the worse manager in the world and probably the worse Chairmen in the world without a doubt.

the players don’t care any more simply because they want more ambition, they may love playing for Newcastle but I bet they hate getting Managed by that tw@t

• 28 toon kk // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM

We’ll be no further forward in five years time. The way Mash runs the club we have as much chance of being relegated than getting back into Europe.
    As soon as we get a decent team the sell on policy kicks in.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Answers from Mike NoNuts:
    1. Yes! Oh yes! Finally someone recognizes the tremendous improvements I have brought to the club. The beauty of those SD hoardings! The lies and misdirections over the seasons! The way I brought the gullible back with cheap seat prices. As for next season, yes we will finish above 18th I can say with great pride.
    2. Yes, I am quite concerned about my nutticus shrivelous. I don’t look nearly as good in my sports thong now. My feminine admirers are greatly disappointed. I can’t say too much about the summer plans. Very hush hush. I’m planning a big pissup, errr conference on the yacht this summer with Pards and the board. Very exciting!
    3. Although I was always naturally thick when it came to football I have to admit I have become increasingly dim with the passing years and now am completely satisfied that I know absolutely nothing about the game. I hope that satisfies all my beloved suckers errr supporters out there.

• 30 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

players that need to go to save there own reputation and to have a chance in the WC

Krull
    Debuchy, Santon, Haidara
    Collo, Mbiwa
    Sissoko, Tiote, Anita
    HBA, Sammy, Gouffran

players that need to go

S/R Taylor, Marv, Obertan, Jonas, Gosling, Shola, Cisse, Elliot

• 31 Black and White with an army lol // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

next season relegation awaits, time to start looking at championship players or MA standards non-league players or free agents

• 32 validator // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

G2 Ashley is so dim he is making millions serving up his managers wallop.

• 33 cyprus // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Want stats Ed? In 19 PL seasons we’ve been in the the Top 7 NINE times! (twice 2nd and 3rd, once 4th, 6th, 7th, twice 5th)

That’s almost half the times (47%).

So, dude who quit this blog recently, that is why we demand more! (i.e. a new manager, watchable football, etc.)

• 34 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Stoke are in good form, 13 points in their last 6 games to our 6. They should sweep past us, so what is Pardew going to do about it? What formula has worked out?

Answer: so far the need for “resilience” – the ability to return to the original state after being disturbed.

That would mean going back to November at least and bringing back Cabaye.

• 35 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM

With the amount of upheaval the squad is going to get in the summer.
    With the out of contract, end of loan and the simply rubbish.
    We have little to no chance of getting a squad together by the start of the season.With the world cup everyones going to be holding back.

Our team will be a shambles,nobodys ever brought in as many players as we need in one go and not gotten religated,its why people buy players a few a time.

Religation becons.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Spoken with great validity validator mate. But now back to some more comments from Mike:
    “Ok I have shriveled nuts! What’s that got to do with the club? I run things my way pissants! That midfielder we had that was quite good, what was his name? Cabbage? Well I got a packet for him so who knows what they’re doing eh? I do. I’m filling me pockets with money from you lot! Hah! Oh by the way please renew your seasons tickets now.”

• 37 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

More comments from Mike:

• 38 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM

sorry for that duplicate. Having problems with my link again. It does bare repeating however. Harrumph!

• 39 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I like our chances for a nice 17th place finish next season. Mike is quite slippery you know. He will panic when we have 20 points at the halfway mark and actually peg out in January again for a player or two. Pards will finally be gone and some new idiot will take his place. Beautiful.

• 40 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Is it just me or do they usually spend money they receive from player sales,nowt else.

What happened to the last few years tv money?
    And will being in the excellent financial position help keep us in the league ?
    Do the club intend to throw games in the league and in the cups to avoid Europe and the possibility of meeting Rangers?

• 41 cyprus // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

A couple more stats to impress your girlfriends or boyfriends:
    Only 8 clubs have gotten more than 1000 points in the PL. We are one of them.
    Up to 2013, we had exactly the same wins as Everton, but in two fewer seasons and with fewer defeats.

• 42 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Do the club mind a bit of dubious match fixing?

• 43 validator // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM

G2 His gonads may resemble Tutankhamuns but the money keeps flowing.

• 44 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM

g2,

MA will think 20 pts at the window means he’s halfway safe, and will sell off our best player at that time.. which would be obertan…

• 45 validator // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM

17th sounds groovy.

• 46 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Oh yeah baaaby! Spot on validator! Lots of lovely dosh! Sell another player like Cabbage? Absolutely! More millions in. Buy somebody on the cheap at 23 or 24 and hope Carr gets it right again? Beautiful. Sell him on at 27 for big money! It’s the way of the future. Oh and stay above 18th of course. That goes without saying.

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

About the Q & A:

“And so it was that later
    As Online Guy told his tale
    That Mike’s face, at first just ghostly,
    Turned a whiter shade of pale”

• 48 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Beautiful jesper mate. Procol Harem. We’ll skip the light fandango with our fearless leader NoNuts. Huzzah!

• 49 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

As Official Blog Hobbit I should caution against being overly pessimistic about next season. I should but I won’t. Everybody panic!!! Ahhhh! We’re doomed! Down with NoNuts!!! And now back to normal programming.

• 50 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM

…”He said, “There is no reason
    And the truth is plain to see.”
    But I wandered through my question cards
    And they would not let him be
    One of sixteen angry speakers
    Who were leaving after the toast
    And although my eyes were open wide
    They might have just as well been closed”

• 51 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I said a while ago we should rest the players who might be playing in the world cup. Funnily enough these players – Debuchy, Sissoko, Remy, and possibly Santon – have all been injured and had a rest. Tiote next?

I doubt Remy will be in any rush to come back. An injury now will cost him a world cup and move to Spurs.

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

…”He said, “I’m here and I will not leave,”
    Though we were miles at sea.
    I pointed out this detail
    And forced him to agree,
    Saying, “You must be the Cockney Mafia
    Who took Newcastle for a ride.”
    And he smiled at me so viciously
    That what left of me straightway died.”

• 53 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM

“And so it was that later
    As Online Guy told his tale
    That Mike NoNuts’ face, at first just ghostly,
    Turned a whiter shade of pale”

• 54 GeordieTwo // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Well now I’m truly upset. Harrumph! What’s the plan against Stoke lads? No Remy. But Loic, please! Can you not just come on for a few minutes to cheer us up? You know run around a bit and show our other forwards what being a striker is all about? Take Shola under your wing? It’s not too late for him you know. He’s getting another contract extension this summer. Please Loic give him a few tips.

• 55 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’d play this team for last 5 games. Can’t do any worse and will develop on our younger players. They’ll also not be suffering from lack of morale

Krul
    Tavernier Mbiwa Willo Haidara
    Anita Tiote
    Sissoko Abeid Gouffran
    Armstrong

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM

A request from out very own GT:

“…We skipped the light fandango
    Turned cartwheels ‘cross the floor
    GT was feeling kinda seasick
    But the blog called out for more
    The room was humming harder
    As the ceiling flew away
    When I called out for another drink
    And Ibiza brought a tray”

• 57 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM

*out = our

• 58 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM

It has gotten to a stage where there is really nothing left to discuss. There are no contentious areas any more.

We have a dreadful owner who cares little for the success of the club on the field save for retaining our PL status.

We have a manager who is out of his depth but will be retained to be the mouthpiece of said owner.

We have some good players who will never reach their potential on account of the aforementioned owner not giving them a better team to work in, and the aforementioned manager being tactically inept.

What is left to discuss about Newcastle United?

• 59 Toon Tang // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Ciaran, we could discuss jonas’s sports bra some more

• 60 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM

ciaran,

id like to hear your plans for world domination, after, of course, you begin with the takeover at st james :)

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Ruddy…Harrumph! ;)

• 62 toon kk // Apr 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM

What was supposed to be Big Mikes five year plan?
    The only thing I can think of is getting his tat advertised. Any ideas?

• 63 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Dok try and post something readable.

• 64 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Update: Lad’s N’ Lasses.

Ciaran , its all in relation to a question and answer session I was pushing for with Mike Ashley, all instigated by me initially .. I had to jump though hoops to get to this point, last week .

I had good news back from CS

Mike himself made a suggestion for the next step, that was last week ..and on Tuesday this week that was confirmed with me by phone.

I was all set for a natter today, as arranged

I done that Today .

I have no answers to my questions today Ciaran., Lad’s.

When you get to the position I was in at 4 this afternoon ..Asking questions, it was an interesting place to be .. Had a conversation on how difficult it is to answer questions on the spot , I agreed, and agreed to wait.

I was then told that my questions would be answered but Via his Pa , no problem .

Everything that was set up has been spot on so far .

This was Mike’s suggested way of doing this.
    I’v learned he does listen, and he opened the door for a supporter here.

Iv noticed that there are a few snipers out having a pop ..Leave it out . .I’m batting for Supporters here.

This is for real.

• 65 Mister Tuff // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM

og good stuff – just have to wait and see what evolves.

• 66 Graeme // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Well done Online mate – to boldly go where no man has been before!! A step in the right direction at the very least.

Has he agreed that you can divulge the Q&A’s once received from his PA?
    Good luck.

• 67 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM

On line are you for real?

• 68 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

As the blogs already full of oddballs like Tskunki jail Dok wolfshead, I was just wondering if online was joining them.

• 69 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Tuff, Its been a breeze so far , thanks.

Graeme, a question today, related to what you have just asked me, crossed my mind .. Then I thought, at the end of the day, so to speak, and whatever it culminates in, I am not going to learn anything that Mike doesn’t want in the public domain .. So I’m looking for reassurance really , summing up.

Some leading questions though !

• 70 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Guvnor

Take it as read.

• 71 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM

@70 your pretty vague with the info, so it’s easy to think your fudging the facts.

• 72 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM

See some guy on BBC Newcastle slated big fat Mick Lowes for kissing Pardew’s ar5e after our recent defeats but was basically cut off and told “Mick isn’t here to defend himself” .

What a load of shite, I would give Pardew a good talking to if I ever met him .

Maybe some questions like :

Why are you making Ben Arfa a scapegoat for all things wrong at NUFC despite him barely playing ?.

Why is our most creative player in Marveaux (who got more assists than Cabaye last season) not even making the bench when our main problem is not being able to score goals ? .

Do we only have one set piece to aim for Willo at the back stick ?

Why on earth were there 3 left backs on the pitch when we were chasing a game ? .

I could go on and on and on . Maybe the BBC should grow some balls and stop feeding us propaganda that suits them .

• 73 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Online

Not quite sure where you’re at with your q&a. However, it would be interesting to get the low down on the land sale. Does it scupper any plans for expansion? Does the club benefit from the proceeds?

I’ve just been on radio newcastle to complain about mick lowes’ cosy little interviews with alan pardew. I said it was like going back 50 years to when the bbc used to interview sir alf ramsey or harold macmillan. They quickly closed it down. I can’t see mikey taking any difficult questions.

• 74 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Bpc

Hey! That was me.

• 75 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Guvnor

Fudging you say ?

Do not address me again.

• 76 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Online, fair play for trying to ask the questions and pass over feedback. Thank you for trying.

However, his actions speak louder than his words and keeping a sacked league 1 slime-ball manager in Pardew at the helm plus all the other garbage which Ashley manages to serve up tells me what I need to know.

Ashley’s propaganda will tell its own tale.

Ambitious owners would not have Alan Pardew in charge.

• 77 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM

It would be a complete waste of time having a QandA session with Pardew he’s thick.

• 78 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Blackley , I heard you .

Also, that question on expansion, and more, relating to it, has been asked. My question list built up as the week went by . I condensed a few suggestions from the members on the blog here . obviously I had to tread carefully.

• 79 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

“And so it was that later
    As Online Guy told his tale
    That Mike NoNuts’ face, at first just ghostly,
    Turned a whiter shade of pale”

• 80 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

@75 I think your the product of a deluded mind. As if the reclusive Ashley would answer your questions when the top journalists in the land can’t get a single quote from him.

• 81 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Bpc

I had some of your questions and others. Bear in mind the show was deluged with calls and texts from angry and frustrated fans embarrassed and humiliated by yet another dreadful performance.

Pardew came out with “we’re making a couple of mistakes defensively which is unusual for us”.

What! In the last 10 games we’ve had seven defeats that have included three 3 nils and three four nils!

After the Southampton game pardew said “that match should shock us into doing a performance against man utd that makes it very difficult for them.” Hahahahahahahahahah. We gave fellaini and mata free run of the park.

• 82 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Bpc

Get yourself on the show with your questions, fella.

• 83 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Online

Good luck with it. When do you expect a reply?

• 84 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Laurent Robert 32

Cheers, there are that many questions unanswered, and mis- information flying around, I thought I would partake in a bit of freelance Journalism . Easy does it.

• 85 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

guvnor/jeff/mag/whomever you choose to be…

again, do not speak or attempt to bait me…

youre a troll, and i respect mackems and terrorists more than you…

• 86 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM

He’ll let you know when he sees it on twitter.

• 87 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Guvnor

Have you gave it any thought as to why MA might talk to a supporter , rather than a Newspaper ?

Your remark is disgusting…

• 88 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM

@85 your not intelligent enough to bother, so buzz off!

• 89 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM

OG…so can you get Mike NoNuts to sack the “Unsackable” please? ;) lol

• 90 wolfshead@toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

watching pards press conference on look north he looks likes hes struggling to repeat fattys spin
    its only the thought of another massive fine that makes him force the words out

• 91 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Good evening guvnor looks like you having a good time on here this evening apart from putting up with a drama queen

• 92 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

@87 so did you win a competition for an audience with Ashley?

• 93 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

@ blackley

Probably not worth it m8 as I would most likely swear and just get cut off ;) .

John Anderson & Mick Lowes are both Pardew lovers and never seem to have a bad word to say about the bloke for whatever reason .

Probably because they are scared if they are too critical they will be out of a job, which is funny because Pards is in the same boat .

• 94 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Don’t bother with the BBC as democracy hasn’t arrived yet.

• 95 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Blackley , I have an arranged call on Monday, that’s with PA ..questions are already recorded, and I would think I will have some answers to those in the week..

I’m as surprised as the next man with all this..

I will say this one last time for the idiot’s on here

Its for real .

• 96 DokToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

welsh, go talk to yourself, like always…

• 97 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

sorry I was talking to myself Then what did you just say

• 98 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

OG…or at least ask what it will take to get him sacked ;)

• 99 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Do you have the time to listen to me whine

• 100 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Good old green day

• 101 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Welshgeordie you’d probably get more sense talking to yourself than Dok!

• 102 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:23 PM

…About nothing and everything all at once!

• 103 Magpies4Life // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Last thread: Löic missing games is a blessing in disguise. Will show the owner how woeful the team is and will be when he’s out for good next season and hopefully inspire MA to splash some cash.

• 104 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Sometimes I give myself the creeps
    I’m a creep, I’m a weirdo
    Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
    What the hell am I doing here?
    It all keeps adding up
    I think I’m cracking up
    I don’t belong here
    Am I just paranoid?
    Am I just stoned?

• 105 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

jesperfuglsang – captain of the lemon crew
    April 10, 2014

You must be a fan then

• 106 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Spot on there guvnor

• 107 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

welsh…it was a medley as you might have noticed? ;)

• 108 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

listened to both Green Day and Radiohead back in the ’90tees (not so much anymore)

• 109 guvnor // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Welshgeordie take the conversation away from below the naval and he is lost.

• 110 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM

On the day Pardew comes out and pontificates on the need for him and his players to show “resilience”, BBC radio tell me that Mick Lowes is in a difficult position when interviewing the manager after a game. They clearly want to tread carefully around the manager in case of upsetting him.

Why can’t managers, who use the radio to their advantage to spread their message to the fans, be held to account by the BBC, which should fairly reflect the fans’ responses? The BBC give no quarter to politicians when they come out with their contradictory bullshit and rightly so. It’s about time managers like Alan Pardew were treated the same. What happened to free speech and the BBC’s independence?

• 111 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Does it sound bad that I want both newcastle and swansea to win next weekend

• 112 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Online, you must write one heck of an email/letter.

You got something back from Virgin before didn’t you? Saying “watch this space” or something, if I remember correctly?

A few months later we are sponsored by Virgin. Well, for as long as it lasted.

• 113 Average_Contents // Apr 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Blackley

The BBC has always pandered so to speak to manager’s and club’s, always dodging the important questions any normal fan would ask such as “why do you say your teams play on the front foot, when clearly the evidence points to the contrary” although if I was to ask something along these lines, I can assure you it would contain an immeasurable amount of profanities lol!

I’m afraid this will never change, as the saying goes once bitten twice shy because as I’m sure your aware, old red nose fergie did exactly this with the BBC

• 114 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Online

A Q&A session with Ashley himself? Fair play, especially considering how he doesn’t even present himself to a UEFA constituted Fans Forum designed to answer questions from the fans.

You must either be incredibly persuasive or wor Mikey has had a serious change of heart with regards communication with fans.

• 115 Readingmag // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM

OK….please remember my age (old ) I am not the greatest fan of Ashley or Pardew but a few key points

1. Shepherd took the club to the brink of
    bankruptcy
    2 Realistically we would of all taken 10th in league end of the season
    3. Yohan was always going to leave, as did Gazza, Carroll, Waddle, Beardsley as will others
    4. We are arguably finically stable compare to 90% of other clubs.
    5. Benny needs love and Pardew is the wrong manager for him, a very gifted player in the wrong team.. Certain ex managers would embraced him.
    6. All is no that bad….yes its a sith end to the season and will get worse…We do not players on crazy money.

7. We all love the same club……lets back it support it …and cheer them on.

last point ….would anyone else be gutted if the unwashed relegated, I would miss derby day so much…

• 116 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Hey Ciaran do you want to come on my welsh/Geordie train

Choo choo

• 117 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM

ReadingMag

With all due respect

3. Why was he always going to leave? Wouldn’t have anything to do with the ineptitude and lack of ambition from Ashley off the field and the tactically stupidity of Pardew on the field?

Finally, no, I cannot wait for the scum to get relegated because at least our fans will stop comparing how good/bad our season has been in relation to Sunderland.

• 118 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Ciaran do you think this has been a bad season

• 119 toonluvva // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Online Guy.

It’s great that you appear to have established a channel of communication with Mr Ashley.

However, we all know the expression “talk is cheap” and Mr Ashley is quite happy with not spending a lot.

I just hope that whatever does come up will be :-

a) be beneficial for the club,
    and
    b) will actually be implemented.

I’ve got my fingers crossed.

• 120 wolfshead@toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

welshie
    is it like the ash/pards/charn gravy train choo choo

• 121 wolfshead@toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

ciaran

i saw you on tv and im shocked that you are mid 20s you’ve had a hard paper round son

• 122 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM

No it’s what I call a no bitching, moaning and being negative welsh/Geordie train

So that probably rules 90 percent on here

Then why did I ask Ciaran

Ha ha ha

• 123 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Only joking ciaran

• 124 Readingmag // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Ciaran – Thank you…..research your history my friend…when did last expect us regularly a top 10\ 11 finish with out a period of down turn.

With all due respect

1. Shepherd did not take the club to the brink of bankruptcy and is speculation to suggest that would have happened without Ashley.YES HE DID he walked away with millions of pounds of debt

2. I expected 11th, but a club like Newcastle should ALWAYS expect more than 10th. please review your expectations …REALLY as did Sheff Wed, Utd, Leeds, Portsmouth, Wolves, Coventry, Forrest …ALL great fan base teams..Not as great as ours

Why hold back a player who is playing a greater \ hight standard and cash in for a sizable profit or have him frustrated and miserable. agreed on Pardew as with Benny ( I love him)
    4. I forgot that the main focus of sporting institutions was to be financially stable as opposed to aiming to be successful.( Nah we support the club not through anything but we are lucky enough to be part of the Geordie nation) Its just my point see teams as below and more will follow
    5. Perhaps Benny would be better under a better manager, but after this summer it will not count as he is likely to be flogged. Would be gutted !
    6. I am in my mid-20s and this is the worst I have felt about our club – even worse than our relegation season because there is literally no hope or desire to be better than where we are. TO young my friend ….we nearly got relegated to div 3 …nearly went bust, have really really bad players ….
    7. The institution that currently stands as NUFC is a pale imitation of the club we all fell in love with. It is an embarrassment and only one man is responsible for the hollowing out of this once great club. Ashley. Sorry its the same old us….. no change

Finally, no, I cannot wait for the scum to get relegated because at least our fans will stop comparing how good/bad our season has been in relation to Sunderland…..cannot beat butterflies in your stomach match day and build up ..

• 125 stuart no9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM

readingmag@115-. Shepherd took the club to the brink of
    bankruptcy
    2 Realistically we would of all taken 10th in league end of the season
    4. We are arguably finically stable compare to 90% of other clubs.——————–first , at least with shepherd, he tried to get a decent side together and have a real go at europe. ok he sacked SBR, and for that he will never be forgiven , but put that with the constant blunders fatty does – there is no comparrison.———second , yes we would have taken 10th in the leaguesimply because everybody and his dog KNEW we would finish 1oth coz thats where our owner WANTS us to finish,——-third, yes cabaye was always going to leave simply coz we are shite.fourth —– carroll left coz liverpool waved 32m smackaroonies in ashlys eyes , gazza waddle beardsley ? thats going back a few years, today we have a fantastic stadium , one of the best in europe, we have 520000 idiots going week in week out , we are not skint , we dont have to sell players now , we should be buying quality playerrs and keeping them, times have changed since the eighties.

• 126 cyprus // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM

A reclusive billionaire to talk with a blog fan. Well I’m impressed :)

• 127 Rotonda heights // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Pardew ” ashley has seen with his own eyes what is needed”

And you’re still here !!

• 128 jazzyp // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Here we go again with the petulant “idiot” fans. There’s one thing at least your consistent.

• 129 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Also is it any coincidence that arguably our three best internationals are injured just before the world cup at the same time ? .

• 130 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:53 PM

ReadingMag

Just because a club is in debt does not mean it is on the brink of bankruptcy. Perhaps you need to research how many clubs are currently in debt. You also do realise that Newcastle United have the 4th largest debt in the Premier League? Just so happens that that is to Ashley himself.

Why do I need to review my expectations when it is conceivably very very realistic to expect Newcastle United to be regularly challenging among the top 7 clubs in England year in year out. Why am I to be content with finishing below the likes of Southampton, Everton and Tottenham? Southampton were a 3rd tier club a few short years ago, and Everton are a much smaller club than ourselves.

A Newcastle United fan can NEVER be too young to have an opinion and your assertion to the contrary is quite arrogant, and I am very well aware of our history, but you do realise that we are 1 of a small select of clubs who have never fallen into the 3rd tier of English football? It saddens me when I hear older NUFC fans simply being content with being in the Premier League.

Also I hope those derby day butterflies have been consolation for the recent hammerings we have taken at the hands to the Scum in our recent derbies.

• 131 stuart no9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

rotonda—–hahah – decent.

• 132 Himanshu Dhingra // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Ivan Rakitic

That is a player NUFC could do with.

• 133 Himanshu Dhingra // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM

A question to Mike Ashley.

Why are you at NUFC? You are not doing any good for the club.

• 134 stan anderson // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Please come back Freddy and get rid of Pardew then sign us Messi, Ronaldo and a couple of other Superstars to give us some excitement and a reason to watch the team.
    Rid us of this bunch of parasites we have now.

• 135 Readingmag // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Ciaron

Loving the debate man, thank you. I will never question any ones love \ passion of OUR team.

Perhaps we will never agreed on expectations and options apologies I offended …I have my views and you have yours the beauty of football and blog sites.

My point was , we are not in that bad place compared to some.

Really derby day butterflies….cannot beat it….and for reference we used to beat the very regularly.

• 136 Ibizatoon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Evening kind blog folk and others…

Online…Check you out with your exclusive…well, pending exclusive. Is it weird that I’m filled with both belief and cynicism? Still, whether it’s a chat with Ashleys PA or Ashleys ex-milkman’s, sister-in-law’s, third cousins barber….good luck and try not to get your nose too brown of I’ll start calling you Alan ;)

Readingmag….Firstly, I think I’ve asked this before, but “Reading” as in the place, not the activity?

I think the issue for many fans is not that it’s all a complete disaster and we’re well aware that there are teams far worse off than us. It’s more about what are we actually doing as a club to be the best we can be?

Apart from our history and love of the city / club, where is the pride supposed to come from?

It used to be instinctive, you wouldn’t give it a second though. For me, Ashley has done a right job of beating it out of us.

I wont berate others who still have that feeling, it runs deep, even those who complain on this blog are doing because they care. As you allude to, we’re all in this together for “our” team. However, I’m not sure how people can view Ashleys ownership as anything other than coasting along in the PL, so that he can advertise SD. There is no real ambition anywhere. Sure it could be worse, but it’d be nice if there were serious efforts to try and do better.

This club desperately needs some passion back, it’s soul destroying.

• 137 Patoon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Journalist- So Alan do you think Oscar Pistorius did it
    Pardew- If i’m honest wif ya i fink it was Hatem, he’s always been a real fret

• 138 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM

@Onlineguy

Can you as Mashly where the TV money went for the last 3 years.
    IF he trousered it does it mean the “loan”is now repayed?
    If so how much does the taty adverts bring into the club,as how it stands we wont ever bring in money meaning we cant compete.

• 139 stuart no9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM

reading mag@ 135——-My point was , we are not in that bad place compared to some——— yeah your right compared to grimsby – lincoln – and halifax, we are not that badly placed , however , we all agree – we should be better!

• 140 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Can you also ask him if he buys Rangers does he plan to “fix”matches so we dont meet Rangers.

• 141 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Ciaran

Just spotted your post I’m on my way out, so will be concise .

Mike actually responded, firstly, last week.

I was as surprised as anyone could be. He even gave Instruction as to how I should do this ..I did it today , as arranged. My question’s are all in . Its for real .

I speak to his Pa on Monday , and should have answer’s in the week .. Its all done though.

I am hoping he agree’s to keep these lines of Communication open for we Supporters, and that’s what I’m going to be asking on Monday.

I had a pop and it come off.

Mike actually has listened to a supporter .. He considered this, he then gave instruction as to how it should be best done. There is more to this ..He amazed me because of a discussion he had in the office on my behalf .

Fair play to him ..I’m Amazed though. Amazed that he would rather talk to a supporter than various media .

If you look back through my post’s Ciaran you will read how this all developed .

• 142 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM

How much does Wonga pay us?
    A quick google found this..
    “The deal equals the 20 million pounds a year Liverpool receive from Standard Chartered bank and is just less than their arch-rivals Arsenal’s 150 million pounds, seven-year deal with Emirates.”

Does our policy of zero ambition match our peirs.

• 143 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Online Guy can you post here what you asked ?

• 144 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM

ReadingMag

My point is that we shouldn’t be comparing ourselves to other lesser clubs. We should be looking at our club and see what exactly we could be capable of with more ambitious management on and off the field.

Clubs like Southampton, Everton and Liverpool are showing exactly what can be achieved if you have ambitious targets.

We finished ahead of these teams once upon a time, we even finished ahead of all of these teams when we finished 5th a few seasons ago. The difference then was they had plans to grow and develop whereas we had plans to stand still.

Having Sunderland get relegated for a season could also put into focus how poorly we have been doing in the mind of some fans so we are not using Sunderland as a gauge. I know we used to beat them quite regularly, we used to beat a number of teams quite regularly but now we’re becoming whipping boys for smaller PL clubs and it sickens me.

• 145 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Cyprus………….It’s already done Kidda.

I don’t really differentiate between people with millions of pounds and vast wealth in possessions.

I don’t mind having a natter on the phone or in person if they don’t ..I’m easy ! I speak with enough people in music who you will know of , so its not really improbable to me as much as it is to some on this here blog ..

• 146 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM

As how it stands your claim to communication is nothing more than a “whole load of bollocks”

• 147 toon22 // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Exactly how much money does MA plan to bleed from the club before he either sells or decides he will try and develop the club on and off the field.

• 148 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Toon22 I posted a third of it as re: the question’s 2 days back …Have a scout..Cheers mate. have to go .

• 149 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM

If Freddie was still in charge then we’d be playin in the school yard because of financial ruin due to him listening to fans demands.
    We’ve always (well the last 60 yrs) thought of ourselves as a bigger club than we are.
    We only believe we’re still big because our stadium is huge and we fill it with great fans every other week,but we’re living in dreamland if we think we should be a top 6 team just because of our so called history.
    Outside of the top 6/7 teams so are we a big draw for players that they don’t go for.
    We can unearth a Cabaye now and again if we are quick and pay the money to get the deal done quickly before others come in to bid higher.
    We will however continue to sell those players again.
    It’s extremely disappointing to get our hopes up when we finally get a good team together and are pushing for the CL and EL only to see MASH sell our influential players.
    We are stuck with it though.
    I’m not happy about it but happier than seeing the club collapse under financial strain through poor management -ie Freddie (you gotta love him for wanting the best as he’s also a fan)
    We wouldn’t have a club right now with the “Michael Owens” he would have brought in.

• 150 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Online

Not disputing what you’re saying, when he does give answers I hope you will write a transcript/share the answers he has given to you.

If/when he does this it will become a matter of local/national news because he has never done this before so just be careful what you’re getting yourself into.

Of course Ashley will have no problem with you posting anything he has said word for word if he is intending on communicating with the fans, but you could be liable for misrepresenting him/libel if attributing words to him that he has not directly said so be careful how you play this one, you could be getting your fingers burnt.

Like I said, I am not disputing anything you’re saying, but it is like the situation with ITKs who have information only to be proven wrong. It is hard to come back from that, but good luck in what you’re doing.

• 151 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Marty-Toon

For the last 60 years we’ve thought of ourselves as bigger than what we are?

You do realise that 60 years ago we won the FA Cup 3 times in that decade? As well as the Fairs Cup in 69?

We also finished 2nd in the League under Keegan and were regulars in the Champions League.

Also, in that time we were on the opposite end of that spectrum facing possible extinction and abyss when we were threatened with relegation to the 3rd tier in the late 80s so I would have thought that we are a club that has suffered euphoric highs and crushing lows leaving many people painfully realistic about our circumstances.

If you honestly feel that Southampton, Everton and Spurs are bigger clubs than us, or at the very least well beyond the realms for us to compete with then I feel very sorry for you.

• 152 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Ciaran
    You can’t compare Liverpool Everton and Southampton to us.
    They’ve all spent money ,well ok Liverpool have spent huge money to get were they are now.
    Where I do agree with you though is that they’ve shown ambition in the managers they’ve chosen and that’s gonna attract a different type of player than AP THE HEADBUTT MASTER can attract by a long mile.

• 153 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Just read this in the Daily Mail:

“At the back end of last year, we struggled for goals and we addressed that by moving Yohan Cabaye up to the No.10 role further up the pitch and getting Loic on loan,” said Pardew.

This is perhaps the bulls#te that the BBC should be picking him up on. Of the 16 games Cabaye played for us, he only played the latter 7 in the #10 role. Of the 7 goals he scored, 4 were when he played that position. (I have included the Man U games although his position is debatable). As a supporter I knew from my gut that this was the case as I remember urging Pardew to push him forward. Any way point is, more lies from Pardew trying to cover Ashleys back.

• 154 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Marty

Of course I can compare those clubs with us. They have spent money, whereas we have not, yet you think that should be an accepted given? Why is it that we lack the capability of spending money whereas these clubs can? Is it because we’ll go into the dreaded overdraft and be in the red and face administration just like we were so miraculously saved from when our hero Mike Ashley saved us from the dreaded Freddy Shepherd who would have seen us destroyed? Nonsense.

• 155 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Ciaran
    From the statement given by the club,what part of it makes you feel that were gonna challenge those teams?

• 156 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Marty

My point exactly! It is a deliberate action by the club NOT to compete with those clubs! My point is why the hell should we sit back and accept it!?!

• 157 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Those clubs don’t mind spending the money Ciaran.
    They don’t mind having a loan and giving their fans enjoyment.
    Our owner just wants us to stay around the top ten for the foreseeable future,that’s a grave difference right there

• 158 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Just because the club says we cannot compete with them doesn’t mean it’s the truth. Question what you’re being told for God sake man!

• 159 yo-yo // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Ruddy

Shepherds’ built a mountain of debt – some concealed.
    Your point about debt not always leading to bankruptcy is technically correct but we were heading for a revenue doesn’t cover liabilities situation which is definitely heading towards insolvency.
    Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers – we were heading in their direction under the Shepherds got rid – and they did okay out of the sale to Mash. I’m surprised you defend their record at all given your general attitude to club ownership.

• 160 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Apathy rules. It’s not apologists I have the real problem with, it is those who see the problem but refuse to raise their voices in defiance against it, rather grumble meekly and accept it.

• 161 Online Guy // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Ciaran , Yes all noted and I will only report exactly what I am told in reply.

No good “gilding the lilly”, so to speak ! ..I wont end up in leg iron’s ! . Don’t worry, its all well and good and as I’v reported. Watch this space !.

• 162 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Yo-yo

Not defending their running of the club at all, what I am saying is that using their method of running the club to defend Ashley’s running of the club is using two wrongs to try and make a right.

• 163 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM

My view has, and will continue to be in favour of supporter ownership of clubs as community assets, not private enterprises.

Objectively speaking though, while the club was making losses, those losses were accrued in attempting (though failing) to make the club as competitive on the field as possible and trying to be as ambitious as they could.

If instead of signing the likes of Duff and Owen they signed players who had more of an impact perhaps their risks would have paid off, but as such they didn’t and we have people using it as a justification for Ashley’s spendthrift way of running NUFC.

• 164 stan anderson // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Might as well not have a club to support with these paracites fleecing the fans.
    What is the point when all they want is PL survival,nothing else matters.
    I may now go and watch the Heed,but no i wont as i am born and bred Toon and would never change.
    Pity these paracites have no interest in the true reason of having a club.Just a money maker for them.

• 165 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Ciaran,
    Tell us what we can do?
    None of us has the cash to buy it.
    When some of the fan clubs wanted to get the fans together to buy it for 100 million,we couldn’t even do it then.
    I was willing to put some savings in,I had hoped that most could’ve put in 1000 pounds.
    That maybe we could’ve bought him out but now it’s 3 times the amount.
    Where’s our prince on the horse?
    I’m not just accepting it or his regime but that’s how it us for now and nothing will change unless 10 people show up to home games for several months.
    Maybe a few thousand won’t renew the season tickets offer but that won’t hurt him nearly enough.
    He’s got 20 mill from Cabaye and 60/80 from PL this year,a great opportunity to buy top players.
    Never gonna happen though,sick of it I am but how’s it gonna change?

• 166 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Marty

Stick with it, get yourself involved in those whose views you agree with. Doing something, anything, is better than doing nothing. Look into the Mike Ashley Out Campaign, or join the Newcastle United Supporters Trust.

Get involved with your fellow supporters and empower yourself. Give yourself a platform from where your voice can be heard.

Being crushed and defeated and helpless means Mike Ashley wins. And while there is bloody breath in my body I am not willing to accept a world where Mike Ashley wins!

• 167 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:01 PM

We had great times under Sir Bobby and KK and we looked good,just weren’t good enough.
    It was so frustrating to be maybe one top CB ,winger or wing back away from hitting the right mix

• 168 stuart no9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM

marty toon —- with 52000 folk going through the turnstyles every home game, surely gives us the right to suggest we should be a top six team, not that we are , but shouldnt we be with a packed 52, 000 all seater brilliant stadium ?????

• 169 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:05 PM

It’s only a couple of years ago that Everton fans wanted their owner out because of 8/10th positions weren’t good enough.
    He lost his manager who did pretty well under strict financial purse strings and got a decent manager in,kept Baines and got a great loan signing in and now they’re pushing for CL.
    If only MA could take note- hate getting my hopes up only to be crushed

• 170 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Marty

Call a spade a spade. We’re 6/7 players short of being anywhere near where we should be in terms of challenging the top 6, and we’ll be even further away when our already thin squad loses some more of its players in the summer.

• 171 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Ciaran you still haven’t asked my question

Do you think we have had a bad season

• 172 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Stuart
    Just because we fill the stadium doesn’t give us the right when we don’t sit in the board room and make any decisions.
    If the owner is ok with mediocrity then that’s what he will get.
    If he backed the manager (a decent one that is) with the resources that are there in good supply then we’d quickly see ourselves challenge for top 4/5.
    We all know it wouldn’t take 100 million but with those other clubs getting big bucks now they will spend it and sneak further away.

• 173 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Answered

• 174 MacToon // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:13 PM

We have the fourth highest debt in the premiership (figures from Swissramble) of course this is to Ashley and not the banks so it doesn’t count. We also now have a higher wage to income percentage at 64.3% with Ashley compared to the highest under Shepherd/Hall 64.1% in 2000. We also have a lower turnover with Ashley in charge and let’s not forget the unforgettable football to watch on the pitch.

It’s good that people can highlight how far we’ve come under Ashley’s ownership.

Seven years ago or so we were discussing ground improvements and increasing ground capacity. Now increased capacity is not needed so the land is to be sold off.

• 175 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Ciaran
    If love to have my voice heard with those trying to get rid of the menace but I now live in Norway unfortunately but I’ll back the lads for sure if possible.
    Problem is that Leeds and Pompey spring to mind with “wealthy” owners coming in,you really don’t know what you’re gettin.
    Look at Cardiff,what a mess like.
    Ok,Cardiff isn’t newcastle but thank God he didn’t buy us.

• 176 Marty-Toon // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Gotta go lads,good chatting with ye.
    Howay the lads

• 177 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Cairan

What was that about ‘two wrongs don’t make it right’?

Many fans including yourself seem to suggest that NUFC should be paying extravagant sums for ‘star’ players. To use your example of Duff and Owen, NUFC payed huge amounts for players, created huge debts and did not succeed (that is 3 wrongs!). And we all know the examples of clubs that have fallen from grace.

Do you not agree a more considered approach to player purchases is necessary? And would you not further agree that now NUFC is a profit making company that it is only now that they can afford higher priced players without over spending income?

• 178 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:23 PM

70Two

You’re missing my point entirely. My ‘2 wrongs don’t make a right reference’ would perhaps better be phrased as the lesser of two evils is not necessarily good.

If people wish to point to Shepherd and Hall and say they were poor football club owners, that is their right to do so, but just because that is their opinion of Shepherd and Hall, does not automatically make Ashley a good football club owner because he does things entirely differently.

You have also completely misrepresented my views on player purchases. Considered approach, yes, restrictive policy on player purchases? No.

Players like James McCarthy and Adam Lallana would have been available to NUFC, in fact McCarthy was touted as a player Pardew liked, yet Everton snapped him up for £15 million quid. Seems like a lot of money? However, McCarthy is a top-class player who will reach the very top of the game. You couldn’t buy him for less than £20 million now, he is that good.

While we can scrape the “£7 million or less” barrel and pluck up 1 Cabaye for every 10 Obertans, that is not a way that will see NUFC grow and develop.

• 179 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Dear Online

Thank you for your questions. I am happy to answer them in full. I will be away on business in Nigeria for some time and it is for this reason sir that I will respond now.

I have some money that I need you to take care of for me too, so please be cared to provide your questions by Monday also with your bank and sort code details so that I can make a transfer into your account.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and speak to you soon.

Yours ever
    Mike

• 180 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I am also pedantic about how my name is spelt – it is Ciaran – my mother gave it to me and I would appreciate it if it was spelt correctly.

• 181 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Just answer the pissing question it’s not bloody hard Jesus Christ

• 182 stuart no9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM

marty-toon ———Stuart
    If the owner is ok with mediocrity then that’s what he will get.
    ————what i mean is – with 52000 fans filling a magnificent stadium , shouldnt we as FANS have the right to suggest we should have a top 6 side.. forget the board room , we dont go in there , and yes the owner is intent on mediocrity and that is all we will get , but is that not to say , we , the fans should expect to be a top 6 team with our fan base ?????

• 183 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Been enjoyable chaps, must be off. Night lads!

• 184 welshgeordie9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM

What a first class muppet

• 185 70TWO // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Ciaran (sorry)

That is clearer and I did perhaps misrepresent.

Shepherd and Hall certainly knew how to spend money to make money, but it was all on credit which eventually requires paying back. Ashley is not a great owner but I understand his approach to setting limits for spending, I hope in order to ensure security and growth towards future spending of more significant amounts.

I agree with you that the environment around the club is not at all positive and generated by those in charge. And that the squad has suffered from tight control and an inability to purchase professionally/responsibly.

• 186 lesh // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Now then Ciaran…. if ever there was a lesson given on how to develop dialogue, Online’s just given it.

Play things in a way that’s softly softly, non-confronational and at least there may be a door that seems to have be opened… rather than slammed shut on some body or bodies.

Let’s wait and see.

Oh, and Online and assuming you’re not taking the pi$$…… well done and let’s await developments…. in hope.

• 187 stuart no9 // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM

food for thought , and something to sleep on,– how can we get rid of ashley ? well, its been emotional lads , goodnight.

• 188 Ciaran // Apr 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Final word to Letch

I’m to take dialogue advice from a man whose sole apparent reason for posting is to have a go at me every time he gets a chance? Think you should stop obsessing buddy.

• 189 Blackley and Brownlie // Apr 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Ciaran

Not someone else whose sole apparent reason for posting is, according to you, to have a go at you every time they get a chance?

Have you ever considered your comments might invite that type of response? Just a thought you might like to consider. You won’t, of course, but I’ve said it anyway.

• 190 Ciaran // Apr 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Blackley

I am a perceptive chap, and I tend to read comments when I am not able to comment myself and unless you’ve went through lesh’s comments, you’re not fit to pass comment, but of course you will see fit to do so anyway.

• 191 lesh // Apr 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Ooooh, Ciaran, your last word to letch really got to me.

Have a go at you at every opportunity? Me? Nah, no way.

Paranoia sits nicely with narcissism

• 192 Ciaran // Apr 11, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Letch

God you’re boring. You tend to spend more time trying to call me out than you do actually commenting on football. Don’t get me wrong, I’m flattered and not in the least bit surprised. I mean if I were you, I’d hang on my every word too, but it does get tiresome. I suppose being the voice of reason for fans does carry with it certain responsibilities so I must stoically soldier on.

• 193 kevymartins // Apr 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Is it possible their trying to get 1 over on Harry Redknapp and not let him drive his own price up. He is probably well fit but they just don’t wan’t him to be.

As for De Jong get this guy the fcuk out of our club he is completely useless.

• 194 NUFCHartley // Apr 11, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Alright lads, hate to spam but if anyone has a spare 2 minutes could they fill out this? its for my university course on housing! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6KPYR9M cheers!

HWTL

• 195 Average_Contents // Apr 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Oh look, they are doing what alot of us suspected them of doing! With remy not actually our player I wouldn’t play the fcuker again!

• 196 The next Mike Williamson // Apr 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM

The only time we did well under Sheppherd was under Robson and you can’t give Sheppherd any credit for that. Bobby, being a Geordie, asked for the job, and did well despite FS. Roeder had one decent season when we came 7th despite having no money to spend and the worst injuries squad any manager had then got sacked.

FS did go in for some big names. We offered 10 million for Rooney & Ronaldinho, but FS knew they were going for £30m to either Barca or Man U. They were phoney bids that he leaked to papers to sell season tickets before he brought in someone like Kluivert.

And to anyone who says we wouldnt have gone into administration, that £100m hidden loan would have easily put us into the top few indebted clubs in the world. And FS had cashed in 5 years worth of future sponsorships AND was still paying for players like Owen.

previous post: More Bad News On Loic Remy