The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Getting Nowhere Under Mike Ashley’s Ownership

9:02 am, Saturday, April 12th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Mike Ashley attended four games in a row after manager Alan Pardew got himself banned for seven matches after headbutting David Meyler at Hull City on March 1st, and as an example of how that was global news – in our local Raleigh, NC paper over here last week – up turned a photo of Pardew with the news story about how he had headbutted an opposing player due to the stresses of modern-day sports.

laughing mike ashley

Mike Ashley - more involvement at Newcastle

My wife Madeline pointed it out, so fans should know that was global news around the world, and hardly reflects well on Newcastle United – but you already knew that.

And with Mike Ashley attending more games and now officially being part of the Newcastle Board, it remains to be seen whether that will be good news or bad news for Newcastle fans.

This is what manager Pardew has said today:

“I think he’s taking a closer hold of the club, maybe, and I think that’s a good thing.” “He’s obviously been at the games, and he’s seen for good or bad what we are at the moment.”

“I think he has a good knowledge of football, and good experience now. You have to say that he’s an experienced owner, and I’d like to think that in the summer, we can make the right decisions.”

“There’s getting to be a bigger gulf between the top teams and the teams just under,” “I think that’s a cause for concern, and I think they’re going to get stronger.”

“And that’s something ourselves, Everton, Aston Villa and Southampton are really having to be clever about to try and stay with them.”

This is a watershed summer transfer window for Newcastle, and while Lee Charnley said usually one or two players would be brought in each year, we will have a lot of players leaving this summer who will need to be replaced – and we think six or seven good players could come in,

We hope six or seven good players will come in over the summer. :D

But the truth is that Newcastle don’t seem to be getting anywhere with Mike Ashley as owner, other than financially we are doing very well – but on the pitch we haven’t made progress.

And our best position in the Premier League was 5th two years ago, and as bad as things have been this year, this will still be our second best position in the league under Mike Ashley, who has owned the club for nearly seven years.

And in that time we have qualified for Europe only once,  and been relegated from the Premier League five years ago. :(

That’s simply not good enough for a club with the history and fan support of Newcastle United – not good enough at all – and that’s not even an opinion – it’s what the facts show to be true.

Whoops – I think I’m going to be sick.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Mike NoNuts should also have seen to far out of his depth Parsnip is :(

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:16 AM

*to = how

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM

“…Now I cannot speak, I’ve lost my voice.
    I’m speechless and redundant.
    ‘Cause my love for Newcastle’s not enough.
    I’m lost for words.”

• 4 toon kk // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Any players coming in will be like for like at best replacement . We’re might be more stable financially but on the whole we’re very unstable club.
    We’ll always struggle under Mash, relegation will always loom around the corner.

• 5 Jeff from Benwell // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM

A blind man on a galloping horse could see our season was over at xmas
    that is why we sold cabaye – We will rebuild in the Summer around a new shape midfield

• 6 the truth will out // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM

it will be a decagon midfield

• 7 Average_Contents // Apr 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM

As if his stranglehold on the club wasn’t tight enough, it’s now got exponentially tighter to the point where he will eventually squeeze all remaining life out of NUFC without batting an eyelid!

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mag52, I think you must be as deluded as Alan. Seriously.

• 9 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Mag52, you must also be taken in by what the silver tongue comes out with rather than seeing what is happening on the pitch in the form of lacking team cohesion and any clue of passing moving and creativity.

He got the managers award because he came 5th, fair enough, but they just see a league placing, not the performances every week on the pitch. That was once in a blue moon for the chancer and a heap of luck attached to it as well as many posters have pointed out.

I said at the time that I’ll hold off on my opinion of him until the start of the following season to see if the picking up points when playing poorly chances to picking up points by playing well.

Last year, well, it tells its own story. ONCE AGAIN poor and disjointed, yet this time no points. What a surprise that we’re on an abysmal run now. It is not. Look at his career long underachieving and sackings.

I think you’re deluded that you believe everyone think everything is ok with management because we get a lucky goal or three, yet the foundations behind it are awful. If you can’t see that now, you’ll never see it.

Try looking at the wider picture. Ashley is at fault for employing Pardew and not sacking him more than the outlay on players in a way.

• 10 Marty-Toon // Apr 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Almost glad I won’t get to see the game today

• 11 mfw13 // Apr 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Newcastle fans are getting nowhere….Newcastle’s owner is getting exactly what he wants….mid-table mediocrity and steady profits.

• 12 damma99 // Apr 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I will settle for a 3 or 4 nil stuffing again if it gets rid of bloody Pardew.

• 13 isleofmanman // Apr 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Ashley taking a hold on the club? Erm, I don’t think so. And despite him having a new extremely average bag-carrier MD which will guarantee mediocrity in the Boardroom and an extremely average manager replete with an anger management problem to

I’d say he’s more interested in playing poker with the Chinese after buying Sir Tom Hunter’s stake in House of Fraser

Even if he gets his SD shareholders to authorise his £80m ‘bonus’ and doubles his money with a sale of his 11% HoF stake to the Chinese its highly unlikely he will direct proper cash in our direction

• 14 toonluvva // Apr 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Newcastle getting nowhere under Ashley.

Of course we aren’t, it’s not about NUFC it’s all about Sports Direct, stupid.

The whole Ashley project is about promoting Sports Direct and nothing more.

He will only authorise payments to ensure the club does not go TOO far backwards, no relegation please.

Ashley just wants a mid-table premiership side that will get paid by Sky to promote SD tat. Actually he would be happy with 14 or above.

He will suck all ambition from this club in order to promote SD.

It really is that simple!

previous post: Pardew – We’re At Our Lowest Ebb With The Fans