The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In Turmoil – 11 Places Above Sunderland

12:41 pm, Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Sunderland are in real difficulties, and if they get nothing out of their game tonight at Manchester City, then it’s very much looking like they will be relegated,  because with just five games to go, they will still be 7 points from safety, and they then travel to Chelsea on Saturday. :(

Gus Poyet, Swansea v Sunderland

Gus Poyet – unable to save Sunderland
When Sunderland lost 5-1 at Tottenham nine days ago they looked a beaten side and a dispirited side too, but they played well against Everton over the weekend and were a little unlucky not to get at least a point.

Gus Poyet has been talking a lot to the press lately, and he mentions the crisis Newcastle are currently in.

Newcastle are in 9th place in the league, and the lowest we can finish is probably in 10th place, since  with 4 games to go, we are 9 points ahead of 11th placed West Ham.

This is what Gus said:

“Go across the river and go to Newcastle – they are in an unbelievable situation in the table and there is a nightmare.”  “Can we change over? Because that is a great problem to have, to be ninth?”

“Why? Because it’s that drive to get better all the time and to be always on top and it doesn’t matter how many games you have won in the past because you need to win the next.”

“That part of football, I love it because it’s the best way to do it, to try to get better all the time.”

“In terms of mentality for me, it’s perfect, the north-east. It’s always better if you finish ninth instead of 10th, and I am like that.”

Of course Newcastle are in a terrible slump and like Sunderland, we have lost our last four games, and in those games Sunderland have conceded 10 and scored 3 goals, whereas Newcastle have scored one and conceded 12.

So even our record – at least over the last four games – is worse than Sunderland’s, but we suppose there’s something to be upbeat about at Newcastle – and yes – we know that comes as a big shock to some Newcastle fans.

We’ll have a chance next season to do a lot better in the Premier League than we’ve done this season, with or without Alan Pardew as the manager.

And it’s looking like that may not be the case at Sunderland.

And the other good news – they will not beat us twice in the league next season.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Apr 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Dok,I don’t ghink many will be cheering our defeats but looking on sadly not giving a fusk, we’re not going to be relegated and look to finish within our stated objective, if losing a few meaningless games toward the end of another sorry season helps get rid of this brown tongued lothario then so be it.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Apr 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Ed,
    We won’t get the chance to do better next season, more than likely Pardew will still be here and he’ll be given the tools to finish tenth again, if he struggles players will be bought in January and he’ll lose his bonus again.

• 3 martoon // Apr 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I’m with Dok on this one – I simply cannot believe that some people want us to get beat whatever the reason. Yes campaign and protest if you want to get rid of the manager but you cannot call yourself a supporter if you want us to get beat. Like I said yesterday if Pardew is sacked it will be at the end of the season not with 3 matches to go if we get beat by Swansea.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM

martoon/Doktoon…it might sound tough or simply just wrong in many ears but, sometime we all have to look at the bigger picture rather than just what is right in front of us! :)

…now I can accept that both you guys would want us to win no matter what – fair enough, and I can accept that you might never want to give up season ticket if you are season ticket holder. All I am asking is that you show us the same respect and curiosity? :)

…for some of us loosing the rest of the season is not a bad thing because good things can come of it.

• 5 Grumpy // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM

How can you support a team then want them to get beat no matter what the logic is, you follow your team through thick and thin and thin is what we have at the moment. Howay The Lads.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Martoon,
    We have had lots of definitions of the word ‘supporter’ bandied about, someone actually said that those sho attend games aren’t supporters. I don’t particularly want to see us get beat but if I’m being totally honest I don’t really give a fusk if we do or not, the players have given up and the manager and owner are a pair of tw@ts.

• 7 Shot Bru // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Sunderland should stick with Poyet no matter if they go down..he has the potential to be as good as Rodgers or Martinez…Di Canio left that club in a a shocking state!!

I know Pardew is clueless..but things coulda been a whole lot worse if we had the likes of Di Canio in charge..

I would take Poyet all day long ahead of Pardwho!!!

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Grumpy…your logic might not be someone else!

…who can you justify that your way is the better or the right course for both NUFC and the rest of us followers?

• 9 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM

*how

• 10 dcdick // Apr 16, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Pardew Out !!!

• 11 toonluvva // Apr 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

It’s a strange old world.

Toon supporters are screaming at Mr Ashley for not investing, but the club are likely to finish 10th in the table.

However, our near neighbours look likely to be relegated and also to lose a large number of their players into the bargain. Yet from what I have read, and I don’t follow Sun’Lun too closely, Mr Ellis has backed a number of his managers with large amounts of cash. Is it somewhere near £100m?

It just shows it could have been a lot worse for us. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr Ashley is currently pointing at the Sun’lun debacle and saying at least we are not in the same situation. Yet!

Please don’t think I’m either an Ashley or Pardew apologist, I’m not. I’m just pointing out the vagaries of football.

• 12 Malta Mag // Apr 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Maybe it’s because due to time spent in the forces and emigrating I have lived away from the area, but I find no pleasure in the Mackems being relegated which you would say is now likely. I realise, not for the first time on these blog pages I am “swimming against the tide” on this one but for me it diminishes North East football when Sunderland and Borough are languishing in the Championship. A good parallel would be Liverpool/Everton and Man U/City. Look at the media interest in these two cities when you have two clubs fighting for the top prizes. We are all bleating about the passionate North East “hot bed” of football yet can we really say that if only one of the top three clubs is in the Premier League? I can understand the general hatred when you’re working or living with them but as long as we are top dogs I can tolerate their presence.
    As for this attitude of Poyet being a better manager than Pardew? Where’s the statistics to back that up because Poyet has done nothing to date so the jury is still out. I’ve already said it on these pages but if we are to replace Pardew then the man we should seek out is Steve Bruce. Yes he made the mistake of taking the Sunderland job but he has proven time and time again that his teams not only play good football but they always punch way above their weight. It’s about time he was forgiven and given his dream of managing the team he worshipped, and still worships.

previous post: We’re Disappointed – Fans Need More From Us