Chances Of Newcastle Getting Top Target Are Diminishing

One of Newcastle’s top targets this summer is Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella, who will almost certainly leave the French club this summer, but it’s not certain he will leave to join Newcastle United, even though there has been news over the last few weeks that the Tyneside club are already in negotiations with Montpellier for the player.

remy cabella

Remy Cabella – some top clubs after him

The player himself has said he is still undecided, and top French club Marseilles are one of the club interested in the right footed midfielder.

Newcastle were after Cabella in January, but for a number of reasons, including the player wanting to help out his club in their relegation battle. Newcastle were unable to get the deal done, and in early February Director of Football Joe Kinnear was fired – maybe because of that.

This is what Cabella has recently said and he even mentions Marseilles:

“Now I know 90% this is my last season at Montpellier. If a club make a proposal which interests me, Montpellier will let me go.”

“I ask myself from time to time ‘is it good to go abroad now to discover something else or is it better to stay in France?’” “I’ve always said the big clubs’ interest me – Olympic Marseilles are one.”

“Rolland Courbis (he’s the Montpellier manager) told me to finish the season, to focus and wait for the end of the season, to see if there are possibilities.”

“I focus first on my games, then we’ll see what happens, but Olympic Marseilles are a big club.”

And since Newcastle failed to tie up Cabella in January, some big clubs have expressed an interest in the player, and as well as Marseilles they include Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan.

And if the news is true, then it could be very difficult for Newcastle to entice the player to Tyneside, especially when we cannot offer players any European football.

And that’s one of the potential problems in the summer that former captain Bobby Moncur mentioned earlier this week – some of our top targets may not want to come to Newcastle. 🙁

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, but we assume new Managing Director Lee Charnley is hard at work right now, trying to recruit good players for Newcastle.

Remy Cabella has been at Montpellier since 2004, and he’s played 104 times with 24 goals and 17 assists for the French club, and 17 times with four goals for the French U21 side.

He’s a very good player.

Note: Craig Finnigan is a Newcastle fan and graduated from Newcastle College in 2011, and he has created a one-off key ring, and all the profits will go to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.
You can view and buy the specially designed key ring here.

Thanks.

• carl

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Jail For Ashley

Why so judgmental this morning?

• theartfuldodger

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

The last weekend couldmbe a thriller..
    Palace vs fulham for palace to finish in 10th..

• magicbus

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Chances of us missing out on our top target No surprise there then

• Jail for Ashley

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Carl/Ian,
    Welcome back !

• lesh

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Not a cat in hell’s chance of us signing any decent players as long as the debacle that is Newcastle United is sorted out for the better.

Would you sign for Pardew and Ashley?

• lesh

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM

* as long as the debacle that is Newcastle United is sorted out for the better. = as long as the debacle that is Newcastle United is NOT sorted out for the better.

• martoon

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Shock, horror – I’m going to add some positivity to the blog. On Saturday hopefully Remy & Debuchy will be back and I think we can get a much needed win against Swansea who will be missing Chico Flores.

• Graeme

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The law of averages say even Pardew could conjure up a “Non Defeat” at some point. The lucky break, the moment of individual brilliance, a deflection off bambi’s right testicle – Pardew’s justification of his style, his winning credentials, his sheer genious!!

What a farce.

• catchy in norway

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM

jail for ashley

this is you

1, a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

in other words

A Hypocrite

when you stop going to the matches , maybe you would have some credibility

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM

J4A…by the look of it I have quite a few friends then 😉

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Catchy…that is what Manx calls me as well 🙂

…could you send that explanation to him cause I think he calls me a hypocrite for all the wrong reasons!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM

…or he just don’t know what s hypocrite is (I am leaning towards that actually)

• catchy in norway

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Jesper

your a realist

Realists have a firm grip on reality and can see things for what they are, not what they are told they are. Realists have their own views and do not fall victim to propaganda, misconception, or titles!

• catchy in norway

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

1. There is the Pessimist who believes the glass is half empty!

2. There is the Optimist who believes the glass is half full!

3. Then there is the Realist who knows it is just half a f****g glass!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Catchy

Would not going to games make a difference?

The club reported last year that match day revenue was around 28 million. Now when you consider we made 20mil selling cabaye and get between an extra 20-30mil from the new TV deal we will continue to make a profit (which was 10mil last year) then the loss of that 28mil match day revenue would be offset by the new tv money.

Not saying something shouldn’t be done, but staying away isn’t going to happen in enough numbers…..it never does at any club.

Liverpool fans were very creative in getting support to drive out hicks and gillette…..big advertising near the stadium on billboards calling them crooks, getting celebrity fans to make videos doing the same, marches/protests, that’s the best way to get attention.

The problem for us is that we have a manager complicit in the whole situation (liverpool didn’t) who produces uninspiring football and attempts to drive down our expectations at every opportunity.

• catchy in norway

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

1. There is the Pessimist who believes the glass is half empty!

2. There is the Optimist who believes the glass is half full!

3. Then there is the Realist who knows it is just half a ficking glass!

• Spoof

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I have’nt been on for a while, sick of all the Pardew fighting, I don’t know why people go on about him so much as Ashley had a great chance of getting rid of him for gross misconduct ( which means no compensation ) after the headbutt, but Ashley chose not too, so like him or loath him it is a virtual certainty that he will be here for a while.

More importantly there are two things which interest me, chances are it has already been talked to death, but what is the general view of Colback from Sunderland, personally I think he is a cracking little player who I would love to see join us, and the other issue is Dan Gosling, for one reason or another he has never had much of a chance for us up until now and I have to say that although in a poor side he has looked half decent to me, would anyone agree that it could be worth trying to persuade him to stay for another season.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

And on top of all that there needs to be somebody willing to pay the asking price for the club.

Surely there are plenty out there, clubs are bought fairly often and we have a great set up in terms of infrastructure to build long term success (stadium, training ground, fan base, etc) so we could be a great buy for the right person.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Spoof

I don’t mind colback, he is a decent player…..but we have enough decent players (anita, sissoko, tiote, etc) what we need is to stop padding out the squad with decent players and get in some genuine quality.

• manxpie

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Jesper last night I posted about who’s to blame after the January window and you came on and had a pop at me so was it me starting an arguement?? Again the perfect proof of you being a hypocrite!

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Presuming we lose ben arfa (quite likely as doesn’t really play and going into last year of contract so Ashley will want to cash in) would anyone like to see him at liverpool? (hear me out)

The play great attacking football but also work very hard off he ball, closing down and chasing back but still getting men forward.

I just think it would be good to see once and for all if he was a massive talent being mismanaged or just a lazy skillful player.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Manx

I read that comment last night and disagree a little.

We have had bad runs before under pardew, it’s not like it’s something new to his reign here. I don’t think losing cabaye and only getting in de jong helped but it’s not the main cause of the problem for me.

When I look at other sides, not many free fall as badly as we have done when losing 1 player to sale and a couple to injury.

I just think the man has no real style and as such just cannot deal with losing his main men, he is way too reliant on individuals to score goals.

• Spoof

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM

TS

quite right, we do need some quality as you say, but at the same time we also need to pad out the squad as well imo, since Cabaye left we have also had 1 or 2 injuries to some of our better players, Debuchy, Sissoko and Remy, as a result we look like a Championship side as we just don’t have enough to cope, and from what I have seen of Colback he is far superior to Anita, Marveaux, Sammy or Obertan, I just feel that having a Colback as cover when we are a few players missing would be better than what we currently have.

• manxpie

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Sage would be interesting to see I suppose but I can’t see him changing now at the age of 27 if he hasn’t learnt yet I don’t think he ever will

• Spoof

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM

TS

if Benny went to Liverpool I fear he would have the same problem as he has had all his career, a refusal to work hard, as talented as Sturridge, Suarez, Henderson, Gerrard and the rest are Rodgers does and always has insisted that they work hard and close down, I would say that Benny would have a better chance in the Arsenal side as they are a bit more cavalier and Wenger is a great admirer of Benny’s.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Spoof

True, we do need to bulk up the squad and he would be a decent addition. Would also take Gomis, Aaron hunt and others on free’s so we can spend that bit extra on real quality where it’s needed.

• martoon

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Catchy @9 – you do come out with some cr*p. I would say that JFA is one of the least hypocritical people on here – his anti-Ashley stance has always been consistent ever since I’ve been on this blog. Those of us who go to the match are supporting our team and putting money into the club to pay wages and transfers etc. This does not mean we support Ashley or Pardew we just want to watch our football team.
    You state “when you stop going to the matches , maybe you would have some credibility”. I would say the opposite – Catchy when you start going to matches then you would have some credibility on this blog!

• thai-mag

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM

there’s no chance we will get any of our so called top targets, we might get a young striker and midfield player, we will probably keep Cisse and get a couple of free transfers like Darren Bent, I think that’s the best we can hope for at the moment, when Raylor gets back he will be like a new signing anyway.

• manxpie

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Sage yeah when we go on a bad run its usually an epic 1 like but I think last year after the summer window there was massive disappointments all over the club after only signing 1 player after such a great season and we all no wat happened in that season
    I just think ya can’t underestimate the importance of the mentality of the players

For instance they all know there up for sale they know a top 10 finish is good enough
    Not a way to run a football club infact ashley cud right a book and make a shed load lol

• Spoof

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM

TS

another to add to the free transfer list would be Jeremy Menez, not as naturally talented as Ben Arfa but still a very good right winger who would give us a lot more than 2 or 3 decent games per season as Benny does, an ideal replacement for me with the added bonus that it would add to the coffers as well, not that it’s likely to get spent, but we can hope ?

• runheed

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Boring boring boring… Let’s watch real football. Like what your children play, or YOU play. Or anybody that isn’t a rich boy. Let’s abandon NUFC. It represents nothing other tha the power of money. Anyone who has spent any time on FIFA knows how fantasy fulfils our miserable lives…

• Ibizatoon

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Interesting article, although I’m not sure what to make of it tbh.

Vincent Tan is not looked upon as a great owner, as far as I am aware, but I’m not sure if this is just based on the changing of Cardiffs colours and sacking Mackay.

He has spent £40m+ (Net) on transfers over the past few seasons, so clearly there is backing there.

Does anyone think Ole would still be interested in Newcastle and would he be saying similar things about Ashley?

I can’t work out if he’s being genuine (ish) or whether he is in fact as good as Pardew at simply saying what his boss needs to be said.

Thoughts?

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Manx

I fully get you with the mentality, the lack of willingness to show real progression must make players think why bother at times, but that’s not the crux of the problem on the pitch for me.

There is just no shape to the team, nobody seems to have responsibilities for attack or defence, it seems like pardew thinks picking the 11 and the formation they play is all that need to be done (i’m sure i’m wrong but it’s what it looks like).

There is no work on neat passing moves, no creative set plays, nobody having responsibility to cover for other players when somebody bombs on and we see the exact same issues every single week…nothing improves. The only time we look good is when we have a guy in the side who can score from nothing and when tim krul is on top form.

Look at teams like sunderland, nothing to play for as they are gone but they still have players fighting….plenty other teams in the league have weak squads and no real chance to win anything but they don’t fall apart as badly as we do on such a consistent basis.

• Transfer Sage

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Spoof

And I’m sure if we looked we could find many more free or cheap players….the key is to make sure you spend good money (usually needed for proven players) at the business end as goals win games.

Get a good striker, like we always used to back in the day, and it wins you matches even when you don’t play that well (every team has the odd off day).

• Sav

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

When you write ‘even though there has been news over the last few weeks that the Tyneside club are already in negotiations with Montpellier for the player’ can you please draw a distinction between NEWS and RUMOUR or even LAZY SPECULATION. News and Rumour are not interchangeable words. They mean different things, and in this case they mean the slight difference between Newcastle United actually getting Cabella and his going somewhere else entirely.

• wynsleap

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM

“We assume new Managing Director Lee Charnley is hard at work now trying to recruit good players for Newcastle”
    OK Ed – go and lie down for a while.
    Do you really believe this c**p or have you been brain washed too?
    Pardew, Lee Charnley, the coaching team and most of all Cashley should all be removed from this club as they will take it into the abyss.
    There really is NO hope with this untalented, greedy, unambitious, shower at the helm and all the tittle tattle about incoming transfers, plans, hard work etc is just superfluous bu*****t. Again.

• Spoof

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza

I have my doubts about Ole, as I did with him as a player, why was he so happy to keep the bench warm as often as he did when he was such a good player, to me that gave the impression that he lacked the fight and determination required to really succeed, and as we as Newcastle fans are fully aware of, if a manager constantly backs and supports the owner then all they are doing is making it to easy for the owner not to back them, this for me is Pardew’s biggest downfall and Ole appears to be made of the same stuff, so for me no thanks, Cardiff are welcome to him, I would rather have a Cloughie type, could you imagine his antics with Ashley ?

• dcdick

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Pardew Out !!!

• manxpie

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Sorr

• manxpie

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Sorry sage just at work will b back on at lunch time