The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Chances Of Newcastle Getting Top Target Are Diminishing

9:28 am, Thursday, April 17th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 80 Comments

One of Newcastle’s top targets this summer is Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella, who will almost certainly leave the French club this summer, but it’s not certain he will leave to join Newcastle United, even though there has been news over the last few weeks that the Tyneside club are already in negotiations with Montpellier for the player.

remy cabella

Remy Cabella – some top clubs after him

The player himself has said he is still undecided, and top French club Marseilles are one of the club interested in the right footed midfielder.

Newcastle were after Cabella in January, but for a number of reasons, including the player wanting to help out his club in their relegation battle. Newcastle were unable to get the deal done, and in early February Director of Football Joe Kinnear was fired – maybe because of that.

This is what Cabella has recently said and he even mentions Marseilles:

“Now I know 90% this is my last season at Montpellier. If a club make a proposal which interests me, Montpellier will let me go.”

“I ask myself from time to time ‘is it good to go abroad now to discover something else or is it better to stay in France?’” “I’ve always said the big clubs’ interest me – Olympic Marseilles are one.”

“Rolland Courbis (he’s the Montpellier manager) told me to finish the season, to focus and wait for the end of the season, to see if there are possibilities.”

“I focus first on my games, then we’ll see what happens, but Olympic Marseilles are a big club.”

And since Newcastle failed to tie up Cabella in January, some big clubs have expressed an interest in the player, and as well as Marseilles they include Manchester United, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan.

And if the news is true, then it could be very difficult for Newcastle to entice the player to Tyneside, especially when we cannot offer players any European football.

And that’s one of the potential problems in the summer that former captain Bobby Moncur mentioned earlier this week – some of our top targets may not want to come to Newcastle. :(

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, but we assume new Managing Director Lee Charnley is hard at work right now, trying to recruit good players for Newcastle.

Remy Cabella has been at Montpellier since 2004, and he’s played 104 times with 24 goals and 17 assists for the French club, and 17 times with four goals for the French U21 side.

He’s a very good player.

Note: Craig Finnigan is a Newcastle fan and graduated from Newcastle College in 2011, and he has created a one-off key ring, and all the profits will go to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.
You can view and buy the specially designed key ring here.

Thanks.

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

80 responses so far ↓

• 1 carl // Apr 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Jail For Ashley

Why so judgmental this morning?

• 2 theartfuldodger // Apr 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

The last weekend couldmbe a thriller..
    Palace vs fulham for palace to finish in 10th..

• 3 magicbus // Apr 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Chances of us missing out on our top target No surprise there then

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Apr 17, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Carl/Ian,
    Welcome back !

• 5 lesh // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Not a cat in hell’s chance of us signing any decent players as long as the debacle that is Newcastle United is sorted out for the better.

Would you sign for Pardew and Ashley?

• 6 lesh // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM

* as long as the debacle that is Newcastle United is sorted out for the better. = as long as the debacle that is Newcastle United is NOT sorted out for the better.

• 7 martoon // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Shock, horror – I’m going to add some positivity to the blog. On Saturday hopefully Remy & Debuchy will be back and I think we can get a much needed win against Swansea who will be missing Chico Flores.

• 8 Graeme // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The law of averages say even Pardew could conjure up a “Non Defeat” at some point. The lucky break, the moment of individual brilliance, a deflection off bambi’s right testicle – Pardew’s justification of his style, his winning credentials, his sheer genious!!

What a farce.

• 9 catchy in norway // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM

jail for ashley

this is you

1, a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

in other words

A Hypocrite

when you stop going to the matches , maybe you would have some credibility

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM

J4A…by the look of it I have quite a few friends then ;)

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Catchy…that is what Manx calls me as well :)

…could you send that explanation to him cause I think he calls me a hypocrite for all the wrong reasons!

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM

…or he just don’t know what s hypocrite is (I am leaning towards that actually)

• 13 catchy in norway // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Jesper

your a realist

Realists have a firm grip on reality and can see things for what they are, not what they are told they are. Realists have their own views and do not fall victim to propaganda, misconception, or titles!

• 14 catchy in norway // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

1. There is the Pessimist who believes the glass is half empty!

2. There is the Optimist who believes the glass is half full!

3. Then there is the Realist who knows it is just half a f****g glass!

• 15 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Catchy

Would not going to games make a difference?

The club reported last year that match day revenue was around 28 million. Now when you consider we made 20mil selling cabaye and get between an extra 20-30mil from the new TV deal we will continue to make a profit (which was 10mil last year) then the loss of that 28mil match day revenue would be offset by the new tv money.

Not saying something shouldn’t be done, but staying away isn’t going to happen in enough numbers…..it never does at any club.

Liverpool fans were very creative in getting support to drive out hicks and gillette…..big advertising near the stadium on billboards calling them crooks, getting celebrity fans to make videos doing the same, marches/protests, that’s the best way to get attention.

The problem for us is that we have a manager complicit in the whole situation (liverpool didn’t) who produces uninspiring football and attempts to drive down our expectations at every opportunity.

• 16 catchy in norway // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

1. There is the Pessimist who believes the glass is half empty!

2. There is the Optimist who believes the glass is half full!

3. Then there is the Realist who knows it is just half a ficking glass!

• 17 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I have’nt been on for a while, sick of all the Pardew fighting, I don’t know why people go on about him so much as Ashley had a great chance of getting rid of him for gross misconduct ( which means no compensation ) after the headbutt, but Ashley chose not too, so like him or loath him it is a virtual certainty that he will be here for a while.

More importantly there are two things which interest me, chances are it has already been talked to death, but what is the general view of Colback from Sunderland, personally I think he is a cracking little player who I would love to see join us, and the other issue is Dan Gosling, for one reason or another he has never had much of a chance for us up until now and I have to say that although in a poor side he has looked half decent to me, would anyone agree that it could be worth trying to persuade him to stay for another season.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM

And on top of all that there needs to be somebody willing to pay the asking price for the club.

Surely there are plenty out there, clubs are bought fairly often and we have a great set up in terms of infrastructure to build long term success (stadium, training ground, fan base, etc) so we could be a great buy for the right person.

• 19 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Spoof

I don’t mind colback, he is a decent player…..but we have enough decent players (anita, sissoko, tiote, etc) what we need is to stop padding out the squad with decent players and get in some genuine quality.

• 20 manxpie // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Jesper last night I posted about who’s to blame after the January window and you came on and had a pop at me so was it me starting an arguement?? Again the perfect proof of you being a hypocrite!

• 21 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Presuming we lose ben arfa (quite likely as doesn’t really play and going into last year of contract so Ashley will want to cash in) would anyone like to see him at liverpool? (hear me out)

The play great attacking football but also work very hard off he ball, closing down and chasing back but still getting men forward.

I just think it would be good to see once and for all if he was a massive talent being mismanaged or just a lazy skillful player.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Manx

I read that comment last night and disagree a little.

We have had bad runs before under pardew, it’s not like it’s something new to his reign here. I don’t think losing cabaye and only getting in de jong helped but it’s not the main cause of the problem for me.

When I look at other sides, not many free fall as badly as we have done when losing 1 player to sale and a couple to injury.

I just think the man has no real style and as such just cannot deal with losing his main men, he is way too reliant on individuals to score goals.

• 23 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM

TS

quite right, we do need some quality as you say, but at the same time we also need to pad out the squad as well imo, since Cabaye left we have also had 1 or 2 injuries to some of our better players, Debuchy, Sissoko and Remy, as a result we look like a Championship side as we just don’t have enough to cope, and from what I have seen of Colback he is far superior to Anita, Marveaux, Sammy or Obertan, I just feel that having a Colback as cover when we are a few players missing would be better than what we currently have.

• 24 manxpie // Apr 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Sage would be interesting to see I suppose but I can’t see him changing now at the age of 27 if he hasn’t learnt yet I don’t think he ever will

• 25 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM

TS

if Benny went to Liverpool I fear he would have the same problem as he has had all his career, a refusal to work hard, as talented as Sturridge, Suarez, Henderson, Gerrard and the rest are Rodgers does and always has insisted that they work hard and close down, I would say that Benny would have a better chance in the Arsenal side as they are a bit more cavalier and Wenger is a great admirer of Benny’s.

• 26 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Spoof

True, we do need to bulk up the squad and he would be a decent addition. Would also take Gomis, Aaron hunt and others on free’s so we can spend that bit extra on real quality where it’s needed.

• 27 martoon // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Catchy @9 – you do come out with some cr*p. I would say that JFA is one of the least hypocritical people on here – his anti-Ashley stance has always been consistent ever since I’ve been on this blog. Those of us who go to the match are supporting our team and putting money into the club to pay wages and transfers etc. This does not mean we support Ashley or Pardew we just want to watch our football team.
    You state “when you stop going to the matches , maybe you would have some credibility”. I would say the opposite – Catchy when you start going to matches then you would have some credibility on this blog!

• 28 thai-mag // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM

there’s no chance we will get any of our so called top targets, we might get a young striker and midfield player, we will probably keep Cisse and get a couple of free transfers like Darren Bent, I think that’s the best we can hope for at the moment, when Raylor gets back he will be like a new signing anyway.

• 29 manxpie // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Sage yeah when we go on a bad run its usually an epic 1 like but I think last year after the summer window there was massive disappointments all over the club after only signing 1 player after such a great season and we all no wat happened in that season
    I just think ya can’t underestimate the importance of the mentality of the players

For instance they all know there up for sale they know a top 10 finish is good enough
    Not a way to run a football club infact ashley cud right a book and make a shed load lol

• 30 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM

TS

another to add to the free transfer list would be Jeremy Menez, not as naturally talented as Ben Arfa but still a very good right winger who would give us a lot more than 2 or 3 decent games per season as Benny does, an ideal replacement for me with the added bonus that it would add to the coffers as well, not that it’s likely to get spent, but we can hope ?

• 31 runheed // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Boring boring boring… Let’s watch real football. Like what your children play, or YOU play. Or anybody that isn’t a rich boy. Let’s abandon NUFC. It represents nothing other tha the power of money. Anyone who has spent any time on FIFA knows how fantasy fulfils our miserable lives…

• 32 Ibizatoon // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Interesting article, although I’m not sure what to make of it tbh.

Vincent Tan is not looked upon as a great owner, as far as I am aware, but I’m not sure if this is just based on the changing of Cardiffs colours and sacking Mackay.

He has spent £40m+ (Net) on transfers over the past few seasons, so clearly there is backing there.

Does anyone think Ole would still be interested in Newcastle and would he be saying similar things about Ashley?

I can’t work out if he’s being genuine (ish) or whether he is in fact as good as Pardew at simply saying what his boss needs to be said.

Thoughts?

• 33 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Manx

I fully get you with the mentality, the lack of willingness to show real progression must make players think why bother at times, but that’s not the crux of the problem on the pitch for me.

There is just no shape to the team, nobody seems to have responsibilities for attack or defence, it seems like pardew thinks picking the 11 and the formation they play is all that need to be done (i’m sure i’m wrong but it’s what it looks like).

There is no work on neat passing moves, no creative set plays, nobody having responsibility to cover for other players when somebody bombs on and we see the exact same issues every single week…nothing improves. The only time we look good is when we have a guy in the side who can score from nothing and when tim krul is on top form.

Look at teams like sunderland, nothing to play for as they are gone but they still have players fighting….plenty other teams in the league have weak squads and no real chance to win anything but they don’t fall apart as badly as we do on such a consistent basis.

• 34 Transfer Sage // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Spoof

And I’m sure if we looked we could find many more free or cheap players….the key is to make sure you spend good money (usually needed for proven players) at the business end as goals win games.

Get a good striker, like we always used to back in the day, and it wins you matches even when you don’t play that well (every team has the odd off day).

• 35 Sav // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

When you write ‘even though there has been news over the last few weeks that the Tyneside club are already in negotiations with Montpellier for the player’ can you please draw a distinction between NEWS and RUMOUR or even LAZY SPECULATION. News and Rumour are not interchangeable words. They mean different things, and in this case they mean the slight difference between Newcastle United actually getting Cabella and his going somewhere else entirely.

• 36 wynsleap // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM

“We assume new Managing Director Lee Charnley is hard at work now trying to recruit good players for Newcastle”
    OK Ed – go and lie down for a while.
    Do you really believe this c**p or have you been brain washed too?
    Pardew, Lee Charnley, the coaching team and most of all Cashley should all be removed from this club as they will take it into the abyss.
    There really is NO hope with this untalented, greedy, unambitious, shower at the helm and all the tittle tattle about incoming transfers, plans, hard work etc is just superfluous bu*****t. Again.

• 37 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Ibiza

I have my doubts about Ole, as I did with him as a player, why was he so happy to keep the bench warm as often as he did when he was such a good player, to me that gave the impression that he lacked the fight and determination required to really succeed, and as we as Newcastle fans are fully aware of, if a manager constantly backs and supports the owner then all they are doing is making it to easy for the owner not to back them, this for me is Pardew’s biggest downfall and Ole appears to be made of the same stuff, so for me no thanks, Cardiff are welcome to him, I would rather have a Cloughie type, could you imagine his antics with Ashley ?

• 38 dcdick // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Pardew Out !!!

• 39 manxpie // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Sorr

• 40 manxpie // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Sorry sage just at work will b back on at lunch time

• 41 Rotonda heights // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM

If Pardew and his joke cronies of coaches had anything about then they would develop Abeid in to the advanced Cabaye role, but he will got he same way as Ben Arfa and Marveaux.

For:

Team selection
    Tactics
    Subs
    Excuses

PARDEW OUT!

• 42 Rotonda heights // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Spoof

scoring the winner in the European cup final yeah Ole is a born loser!!

• 43 Himanshu Dhingra // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM

SAV

U know all that ED does is copy and paste stories from Home page of News now.

• 44 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Rotonda

from the little that I have seen of Abeid I would think he has a better chance of developing as a holding or box to box midfielder, to me he doesn’t have the natural passing game to develope as an advanced number 10 type of midfielder.

• 45 Rotonda heights // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Sage at 32

That is a very well put, thought out and logical conclusion to draw by anyone who has seen us over the last 2 seasons but some people just don’t want to see it.

• 46 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Rotonda

Ididn’t say he was a born loser, all I said is that I felt with a bit more fight and determination he could have done better for himself, for me he should have been a first team player rather than the squad player which he was.

• 47 Rotonda heights // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM

spoof

i know it’s only greece but abeid is doing well on the goals and assists front and is still young but won’t get decent coaching with us.

I really think with a proper manager and coaching staff the likes of Armstrong, Abeid, Bigirimana, Good etc could make it.

• 48 Rotonda heights // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I guess Ole was manu’s version of david fairclough but couldn’t argue with his medal collection which he may not have achieved elsewhere..

• 49 Munster Mag // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Re Liverpool, as I said many years ago at the time of the Hull home game, Geordies are just not as politicised as Scousers. Never have been , never will be. And there’s no way you can seem to get yourseolves together to put heat on the fat man. Can anyone confirm when Billson and Toondarnsarf were on the forum. I dont frequent it as much these days. Surely Billson has accepted that his argument about Ashley was flawed now ??

• 50 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Rotonda

I’m not sure if Abeid and Good are good enough to make it in the Prem, but certainly Bigi has a chance, and who is to say he still won’t, Armstrong, in all honesty all I have seen of him are glimpses of him against lesser standard teams so I can’t really form an opinion as yet, all I could comment about Adam is what I hear, and to be honest I would rather see before I form an opinion.

• 51 Spoof // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Rotonda

yes Ole was Man U’s David Fairclough, but when such a talent is only a supersub it does give me doubts about there drive, however that doesn’t mean he is destined to fail, it just gives me doubts about him, nothing more than that.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Munster,
    As an ever present on here, I can tell you Bills son disappeared without trace, I e mailed Ed to get in touch with him but he never got back to him, maybe the whole egg on our faces got to him, I hope nothing more serious, as for Tedious, he is in self imposed exile as we are too negative for him, no doubt he will be on soon telling us what a great achievement tenth is.

• 53 validator // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

He was probably bored with your moaning Jail Ashley. Pardews list of the missing 10 players against Stoke has been released, Ba Cabaye Sissoko Milburn Debuchy Carroll amongst others.

• 54 Munster Mag // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Validator, one wonders what Jinky Jimmy Smith would have done for Pards missing 10 aswell! The misisng 10 is something like Kinnear would have said – and the press would have let him away with it. Jail I presume Darnsarf is off giving accountancy lessons re how the massage free advertising as genuine investment?

• 55 validator // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Munster mag pardew probably wouldn’t play jinky as he was a very talented player.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Munster,
    Thank you for your time.

• 57 validator // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Any technically gifted players Pardew has to mess them about its probably due to an inferiority complex.

• 58 MosesNUFC // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Apparently Colback wants to come to newcastle as he is a boyhood supporter of the toon. Would you welcome him?

• 59 WWSBRD // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Another one bites the dust

• 60 JP...from The Rock // Apr 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM

On Saturday I hope Remy has a shite day and Debuchy does play and even Sissoko passes a late fitness test, then Pardew might possibly have no more excuses to cover for his pathetic tactics.

No Get Out Of Jail Card for you Pardew!!

• 61 calvinho // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Would love to see an overhaul of the squad in the summer. Pardew out too.

Forster
    Debuchy, MYM/Lescott/Caulker/Richards, Haidara
    Tiote/Sissoko/Grenier/SiemDejon/Abeid/Bigi/Anita
    HBA/Gouffran/Cabella/Ince/Zaha/Sammy
    Armstrong/Benteke (we won’t pay the amount for him)/another striker???

This would mean Krul (only cos we’d get decent money for him and i’d prefer Forster), Staylor, Williamson, Collocini, Santon, Cisse, Obertan, Guti, Gosling would be out.

Obviously this isn’t football manager though, but at least we’d have some british players. Some older players and younger ones too. Prem experience. Pace. a new back 4!!!

• 62 Big Pappa Cissé // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM

@ Moses

I like Colback, tidy little player with good passing and vision . Also a plus that he is a boyhood NUFC fan .

Sign him up .

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM

WW…
    A rare appearance !

• 64 TurkishFan101 // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Hatem Ben Arfa is said to be suspended..

• 65 Munster Mag // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Whats up Jail ? Sadly, i think we need another loss on saturday.

• 66 WWSBRD // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM

JfA
    I have to keep my monthly post stat up ;)

Not much reason to come on here these days NUFC depresses me and I cant imagine reading comments on here will change that haha…last time I was on I was informed at how well we were actually doing and Ashley was doing a fabulous job, that certainly didnt rekindle the NUFC love in my heart

• 67 Jail for Ashley // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Munster,
    After validitors constsnt snipes, nice to get a civil reply.

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Calvinho,
    You don’t happen to be friends with a blogger called Ketsbaia by a any chance??

Forster wouldn’t come back, and even if he was interested he is out of our price range. Lescott?? It depends on our aims, but if we are talking what fans want, then no way. Oil tankers have a smaller turning circle. Richards and Caulker I would take.

Grenier is looking increasingly unlikely. Aulas has said he (and Lacazette) won’t be leaving, which means they both might leave, but for ott valuations.

Cabella seems to be hinting at staying in France, interestingly, if he went to Marseille it means they will probably pull out of the running for Benny.

Ince has been okay at Palace, but looks a much poorer player than Puncheon who people on here were ready to lynch Pardew for wanting to sign. Zaha, behave, overrated.

Benteke – I like that you note he is out of our price range. Zero chance of this one, unless someone gives Ashley a frontal lobotomy.

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Moses,
    I’d take Colback on a free, although I’m not sure what he adds to a first 11. Decent back up though in the same vein that Perch and Guthrie did a job when called upon.

• 70 lew // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I honestly think that the only way to get something out of this window, is to SACK PARDEW!

The whole world know about his antique philosophy now!
    Please tell me this is just a bad dream..

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM

WW…,
    I don’t think there are many Ashley supporters left, unless they’ve formed their own blog.

• 72 lew // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM

• 73 Mike's Iron Curtain // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I just hope when we inevitably meekly lose again a=on Saturday, that things turn really ugly and good old fashioned vitriol and rage either force Ashley to sack Pardew or frighten the swine into resigning. If someone can get close enough to stick one on him, that’d be the icing on the cake.

• 74 WWSBRD // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:42 PM

JfA
    As long as the accounts look good mate they will be around

• 75 calvinho // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I disagree regarding Forster. a) he’s a geordie b) i reckon we’d have some buy-back-clause in there c) he wouldn’t cost as much as Krul.

Lescott is decent and an upgrade on any of our CBs at present. His wages would be the problem, but he’s a top 7 prem defender.

Caulker would cost a fortune, but decent and potential to be a regular for England.

Cabella & Grenier have been on our ‘watch list’ for a while. Understandably good players, but both would cost 10m each.

Ince is a good player who has goals to his name. He hasn’t been playing much for Palace due to how Palace play. He is better than Puncheon.

Zaha has talent (although i respect your opinion of being overrated). Sir Alex obviously saw something in him, but Moyes clearly doesn’t like him.

Benteke is out of our price range, but is the type of CF we need.

• 76 Marty-Toon // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Thinking about puttin on a bet that we’ll lose all four of the games ahead.
    Definitely a possibility and probably a good return.
    Can’t wait to see the quality and quantity of players we get in through the door this summer,it really us gonna excite the fans BIG TIME!
    Lee Charnley I hope you’ve got a magic wand to mesmerize the signings to the dotted line.
    If we don’t strengthen the squad or even replace Cabaye then AP will not last until Christmas time.
    Mash will spend as to not let us get relegated and replace him with hopefully a better strategic and tactical manager.

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Cal,
    Forster is linked with Europes top clubs, including Barca at price of £10million. While he is from the area (Hexham, not a geordie) he isn’t a big enough fan of the club to want to come back here when he has far better potential offers. There is no buy back clause, and krul seems to be the 10 million bracket, which is the same as what Forster is rumoured at.

If Lescott is a top 7 club defender, how come only West Ham have registered interest? Caulker will be pricey, but has youth on his side and could potentially increase in value.

Ince doesn’t fit Palace’s style? at the minute their style of play is far more in keeping with Ince than ours. I don’t rate Puncheon, but most Palace blogs say they prefer him to Ince on what they have done at the club.

Sir Alex has made a number of balls ups in the transfer market. If Zaha was any cop he would be doing better at Cardiff, let alone playing regularly for Man U. Zaha was built up by the media.

• 78 Lilongwe Geordie // Apr 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM

To clarify, most Palace blogs was a scan of the first 3 I came across!! :-)

• 79 Marty-Toon // Apr 17, 2014 at 2:08 PM

No Ashley supporters you say?
    There’s loads I’d say.
    I actually think his original plan is excellent in a way.
    These are all ifs though :-)
    1- Support the manager with 20 million a year or each window.
    2- Have a decent manager installed instead of the Mummified Pardew.
    3- Improve the youth system (we now have top graded)
    4- Top training ground and facilities
    5- Stop selling our best players at least not in the middle of the season without replacing with like for like or better.

To round up what I mean is that he could do something great(but we know he won’t )with the club if he sorted out points 1,2 and 5.
    We don’t really need an owner to throw Man City/Chelsea type money at the club,we just need him to strengthen these points above.
    Again,the problem is he isn’t doing it or showing any willingness to do it.
    With this I suppose it’d be better that he sold but again,Who who who will buy and not bankrupt us or destroy us financially?

• 80 boltonmagpie // Apr 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM

How can Pulis get Palace to play so well! I’m sorry but if we were in their position after 13 games we’d have gone down!!
    How many Palace players would realistically get in our squad /team!

previous post: I’ve Not Been In A Team That’s Had Such A Bad Run