The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mathieu Debuchy Gets It Right – After The Game

7:38 am, Sunday, April 20th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

There have been and there will be a lot of negative things written about both Mike Ashley and Alan Pardew in the coming week(s), but the returning Mathieu Debuchy was interviewed on the Newcastle United web site immediately after the game yesterday – and Mathieu gets it all completely right in what he says – this record of five successive league defeats is simply nowhere near good enough for a club like Newcastle United.

mathieu debuchy 12

Mathieu Debuchy – nowhere near good enough

Wilfried Bony scored twice in stoppage time in both halves to get Swansea their first away win in the last 12 attempts, and only their second win in the last 10 games, and they have now beaten us four times on the trot.

And to make things worse, Shola Ameobi actually scored his first Premier League goal in sixteen months after 23 minutes, and Newcastle actually led the game for a while.

This is what Debuchy, who played his first game in seven weeks yesterday,  had to say:

“Everyone is very disappointed, of course,” “We wanted to go out there and get a win, so to lose – and in that manner, with a last-minute penalty – was really disappointing. It is always harder to take like that.”

“I think we deserved at least a draw from that but we have to look back at the mistakes we made.” “We lost from two set pieces – a corner and a penalty – and that is nowhere near good enough.”

“I have never known five defeats in a row,” “It is something which isn’t acceptable for a club like Newcastle United and a squad like ours. It is something we simply should not be doing.”

“I watched every match while I was injured and it has been tough, very tough.” “I find it difficult because whether I am injured or suspended, I just want to be out there playing, helping my teammates and giving them everything I can.”

“It was nice to be back today to try and help but the result was very disappointing.”

Good words there from Mathieu, and maybe if he does stay with us in the summer, and Coloccini moves back to Argentina, the experienced Frenchman will be a candidate to be the new Newcastle captain – at least he seems to care.

Newcastle fans are really hurting at the moment after five successive league defeats, it’s all very painful, and the next game is at the Emirates a week tomorrow,  so the streak may not be over  yet.

It’s just not good enough by  a long long way.

Tags: Coaching · Mathieu Debuchy · Premier League

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Apr 20, 2014 at 7:45 AM

PARDEW OUT

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Apr 20, 2014 at 7:46 AM

My merit marks for yesterday’s game
    Krul – 5 one brilliant save but sadly I thought he was at fault for the goal – should of came and collected/punched or at least challenged Bony – distribution poor
    Dummett – 6 nowt special did his job
    Williamson – 7 very good at his job defending but distribution was poor.
    Colocini – 5 poor got turned/caught out time and time again, had to revert to using his heel/back foot to stop a attack.
    Anita – 6 Not his fault starting at full back did OK busy when pushed into midfield – passing game good but no killer pass, easily got knocked off the ball.
    Goufran – 5 Another poor game needs to be rested dropped for rest of season ran out of gas should of been substituted instead of Gosling.
    Gosling – 7 Played well if not if not spectacular, busy all over the pitch but passing occaisionally went astray made Vom pull out a decent save.
    Tiote – 8 My man of the match – had a good game – at least he had a go, got stuck in. Did not hide wanted to win the game – not like some others. But got caught in posession to many times, mianly because he did not have anyone to pass to.
    Cisse – 3 Cannot give a proper mark as was not on long enough – did not want to be there – BUT WASTED playing in a front three on the wing.
    De Jong – 2 lasted a bit longer but poor, looks like a little boy lost playing in a mans game.
    Shola – 7 pick of the forwards, scored and battled all day – must have a bad neck looking up as the ball was punted long and high time after time.

Subs
    Debuchy – 8 Changed the game when he came on gave a lot more to the team going forward and got stuck in.
    Remy – 6 Again pushed onto the wing – not his position did OK but sadly lacked match fitness.
    Armstrong – 5 liked what I saw, like to see him given at least ahalf against Cardiff at home, busy around the box, always on the move and looks a good passer of the ball.

Manager – 2 Could not understand the line up and some of the positions players were playing
    Supporters – 10 for turning up after such a shit run but 4 out of ten for the atmosphere flat, not just the players on holiday!

BEST?PLAYER on the pitch – Bony my a mile
    Swansea – as poor as us looked half the team since Laudrup was sacked.

IF we do not have a clear out and buy at least half a dozen very good players in the summer we are going to be in BIG?trouble.
    Manger – I have supported him up to now but he has run out of ideas – maybe time to move on!

DEBUCHY – CORRECT in his summing up

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Somebodies comment on an article in the mag
    “What can you say to the fans after 5 defeats”
    pardew – “there’s not much to say, it’s 5 defeats
    You could at least apologise, I always get the feeling with pardew that he’s actually
    in a mood with us! That he has some sort
    of idea that he’s above the fans! The man
    needs to go, he’s a joke!
    That’s exactly what I thought when I heard that comment, we know it’s five defeats Alan, you’re in the four club twice, the five club and will no doubt be the first manager in over 25 years to join the six club when Arsenal take us apart next Monday, the trouble is he isn’t going anywhere as he brings stability, har har

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Apr 20, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Charlie, the atmosphere has been largely flat for a few years now, what makes you think it was just this game.

• 5 ganiyu // Apr 20, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I blame the players not pardew

• 6 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM

We are odds on Favourites to go down next year !

But there is more than one problem at the Club at the moment !

Pardew is just part of a massive mentality disaster waiting to happen next year? It all starts with Ashley at the Top who is milking the Club and taking the Pith out of all of us!

The Sale of Cabaye in January completely ruined our season this year, we should be thankful he was with the club until January because our Form since he went? Well adjectives are beyond me!

I recently came back to watch the Manure game together with a whole group of Dutch Mags and to be perfectly honest i have never been so embaressed watching The Lads at home before?

Not only with the Pith poor play from the lads but also with our own support on ther Stands themselves. The last time i was at a game was more than 20 years ago and i know now that we have BIG problems, i think the whole club just needs a complete overhaul and yes dare i say it, maybe be relegated again to to sort it out? And that pains me to think that !

As for the Transfers in the summer, Debuchy i think will be gone? Together with Krul and Tiote and Ameobi and they will not be the only ones !

Sorry Lads but its all Doom and Gloom and i feel its gonna get worse before it gets better?

• 7 goalseeker // Apr 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Blame the players, the manager, the owner, the lot. We were completely unmotivated yesterday, now can we blame the players – Yes the are paid a lot of money it is their profession with the word profession emphasised. Have they ever heard of self-motivation and pride there was very little of either shown yesterday. Can we blame the manager – Yes he is totally lacking in just about every department except blaming everyone but himself. Pointing a finger means that there are three fingers pointing back at yourself. He has lost or has kicked out of him any metal he has obviously lost the dressing room, he is unmotivated and being so cannot motivate the players. Pardew must take a large slice of the cake. Can we blame the owner – Yes but it will do no good he has said and proven to be disinterested in anything but medioctiy and no matter what the supporters say he knows 45-50000 will turn up each match, his goods will be sold in his shops, he can afford to in a fit of anger sell £200 million (yes million) shares in DS because he did not get his £73 Million bonus. He will keep Pardew as a puppet and front man who is not man enough to walk away, bring in Pullis or anyone else I think not unless they cowtow to Ashley he does not want to know. There will be wild speculation on this page saying who we should buy forget it we will end up with players not for their class and contribution but who will earn a few bob when moved on. At the moment my friends our beloved club, and a I say that as a supporter of just over 60 (yes 60) years is a retail outlet not a football club. I am not advocating rash spending as in the past, but you have to take risks and invest if you are to win anything and you never know Mr Ashley may one day want to win something. The only thing that will effect him is an empty ground not just for one week but for 1 or 2 months and that will never happen. Hey I do not have many birthdays left please God I see a little of what I saw when I first clambered over the heads of true supporters in the popular side to see Milburn and co in big boots playing on a mud pitch but with pride and passion for pulling on the black and white stripes.

• 8 toonluvva // Apr 20, 2014 at 4:57 PM

We need action not words.

Frankly I’m sick to the back teeth of reading players apologies for not performing in the match.

All we ask for is a decent performance on the pitch. If we win then brilliant. If we lose and have played well, then at least we can take comfort in the knowledge that we were beaten by the better team on the day.

• 9 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Apr 21, 2014 at 8:20 AM