The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We Were Decent – Given The Personnel We Had

8:21 am, Monday, April 21st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Alan Pardew has been defending the Newcastle team today, and it seems the lads can do nothing right at the moment – and in Saturday’s game it could well have been Newcastle that got the late goal, but it wasn’t to be, and for the first time in our history, we have lost five Premier league games on the trot – and we visit Arsenal in our next game. :(

alan pardew black suit white shirt

Alan Pardew – first Newcastle manager to lose five in a row

And that’s another unwanted record that Alan Pardew has picked up over the last two seasons, and if we don’t finish in the top ten this season, then in the seven seasons under Mike Ashley we have finished in the top ten only once – 5th place two years ago, and that’s just a pathetic record for Newcastle.

This is what Alan Pardew said:

“In terms of the personnel we had available I thought we put a decent performance in and on another day we could have won.”

“We are going to have to work hard because we need to be more resilient in these three games than perhaps we would needed to have been if we’d won. We need to show a strength of character.”

“Some of the performances have been very, very good  but sometimes the results don’t always follow.” “I just feel my main focus rather than looking back too far is to look for the next three games, because they are very important to us for our state of mind as a club.”

“I thought the crowd were brilliant for us. Unfortunately, we just couldn’t bring them home.” “Well, I have to stand here and justify and defend my players and I have to make sure they are right for next week.”

“So sometimes you say things, generalizations a little bit, to protect the players and staff.” “If certain sections of the fans think I am standing here making excuses I am far from that.”

“I always stand up to my responsibilities and I make sure my players do too.”

There’s always one reason or another why Newcastle lose, and we suppose it’s only natural for a manager to defend himself after each game, but saying we were decent, given the personnel available, doesn’t exactly compliment the players who were in the side.

We cannot see us getting anything at Arsenal or Liverpool on the last day of the season, so presumably our best bet is to beat Cardiff City at home in two weeks time.

If we cannot do that then it’s going to be a sad time at the end of that last home game, of what’s turned out to be another disappointing season for Newcastle.

Since Boxing Day Newcastle have looked a second-rate relegation side.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Apr 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Oh Alan, thanks for putting our minds at rest. So the excuses are just to protect the players and get their mindsets right for the next game?

I guess if we don’t believe that, we’ll lose to Arsenal? Such bad fans we are. I honestly don’t know why Ashley and Pardew put up with us.

• 2 Bambams // Apr 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I am speechless

• 3 Bambams // Apr 21, 2014 at 8:33 AM

No longer speechless

‘Certain sections of the crowd think I am making excuses’….. Try the whole stadium Alan !

He is obviously very concerned about his job now.

• 4 sparky55 // Apr 21, 2014 at 8:35 AM

It’s become very obvious to me over the last three weeks where Pardew has been stuck up in the stands that his eyesight isn’t the best and his brain isn’t interpreting the data his eyes are delivering. decent performance my arse!

…and even worrying still…the complete bollox he comes out with every week means he’s at no risk whatsoever of losing his job because the trash he spews out would normally lead to a section 1 drive into padded cell via the job centre…but not when you’re the manager of NUFC paying off a gambling debt to the owner

He’s taking the p!ss…he’s winding us up and laffin’ at us.

When he does go after leading us to relegation, I can promise you Ashley will have his helicopter at the ready and Pardew will be air-lifted out of the ground never to be seen in the North East again.

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // Apr 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Liar.

Ground was a library and it wasn’t a good performance. Hate this guy and what he stands for.

If I was one of the players, I’d be offended with the “in terms of what we had available” remark. Constantly banging on about injuries. Players get injured, deal with it and don’t complain.

Cisse and or Remy were playing on as was Gouffran. You’d think we had Gosling playing up front by himself.

Michu wasn’t playing for them, but they still won and played more clued up passing than we did.

• 6 anthc // Apr 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM

There was very little noise in the ground and a little clap when remy came on. But alan whats there to cheer about? Your team selection and tactics were shit, the players are just going through the motions. I think they are getting bored of your drivel. Walking to the ground before the game I couldnt see us winning nor could my mates. Losing two strikers? You had two on the bench including our best one but you brought a defender on. Seriously we should be charging at teams and get at them. I’d rather lose 5-3 and make a go of it than turn up and get humped 4-0 every other week. hes broke all the wrong records here and the 5th place is wearing a bit thin now. Theres teams with worse squads than ours so I dont buy the he hasnt been backed carry on although I would’ve liked a few players but we still have several internationals who are good players and capable imo to be in the top 8. He really should be a polotician with the bull shit that comes out his mouth.

• 7 Shola Pure Legend // Apr 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM

What sort of message do these comments send out to your players you idiot, thats why you have lost the dressing room.
    Get out of our club you cockney prat your a championship manager at best. Take Stone and Carver with you there only here because there Geordies not because there good at there job.

• 8 bobby mango // Apr 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM

So after 3 months of shocking performances we nearly scrape a draw and he says it “decent”…. Alan we deserve more than 1 decent performance in 10 games. Be serious you complete tool.

previous post: Pardew – It’s Damaging If We Drop Out Of The Top Ten