Time For This Newcastle Player To Move On

There’s news in the Northern Echo today that Newcastle are set to begin talks with Shola Ameobi at the end of the season, with a view to giving him an extension on his contract, which runs out at the end of June.

shola ameobi scores swansea

Shola Ameobi scoring on Saturday

And the question we have to ask is why?

Shola has hardly figured in the side, and has only two goals for Newcastle in 26 appearances this season, although very few of those appearances have been starts.

It’s being reported that some top officials at the club (Mike Ashley and/or Lee Charnley?) want the 32 year-old to stay at Newcastle.

We always thought that Shola would move on this summer, and join another side, or decide to retire from football, but it could be that the injury to Papiss Cisse has Newcastle in a bind as far as strikers are concerned.

Loic Remy will be moving on, and Luuk de Jong has shown he’s just not good enough to get a permanent deal after his loan spell ends.

It seems that Shola is a big player behind the scenes and specifically in the dressing room, and we always though he would one day become a coach at Newcastle, and of course the local lad has the club very close to his heart.

This is what Shola has said:

“We’ll discuss everything about my future at the end of the season,” “I haven’t really thought about what might or might not happen at all yet because this isn’t the right moment.”

“There’s a lot going on at the moment, and things are pretty tense. We have to make sure we don’t let this season fizzle out, and then once it’s finished, that’ll be the time to get around a table and talk about the future.”

“I just want to do everything I can for Newcastle, but from a World Cup point of view, then obviously the more I play, the better chance I have of going,”

“Make no mistake, I want to play games for this football club and help us do well. That is my priority.” “The World Cup is the World Cup, and any player worth his salt would want to be there.”

“But if I’m not playing for Newcastle then there’s a very good chance that I won’t be in the Nigeria squad either.”

“It’s nice to be back playing.”  “Before the Stoke game, it had been a couple of months since I last started a game and it’s been a very frustrating spell.”

“It was tough being on the fringe of things for so long, but I feel like I’m getting my legs again now and I’m enjoying being back in the team and involved.”

“I’m just trying to help the team as much as I can, and it’s just unfortunate that the results haven’t been going for us.”

We can see a decent partnership in the last three games with Shola up front and Loic Remy, and the physical play of Ameobi should help Remy.

Maybe Newcastle want to give Shola a short one or two year deal, and have him involved with the coaching side of things.

But as an important player on the field for Newcastle, those days are over for Shola.

What do you think?

• G

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I think it’s not so much a choice, as a lack of option, that is, if it’s true at all, which I suspect it isn’t.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

April fools has lasted a long time.

Ben Arfa provides a game winning goal, still benched. Shola gets a goal in a loss, new contract.

You can’t write the script for it. Even Hollywood wouldn’t believe you.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Maybe he’ll be “like a new signing” next. There must be queues of clubs that are after him…

in the Championship.

• G

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Off subject but the chronicle are reporting we have been offered Emmanuel Riviere from Monaco, but have turned the deal down. I don’t think I’ve even seen him play for Monaco, but I can vaguely remember seeing him play for St Etienne. Don’t think he moved more than 3 paces for the entire match.

• Graeme

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Extending Shola’s contract simply magnifies the lack of ambition, the desire to spend nothing. That in turn identifies NUFC thinking – Shola is simply better than nothing at all – and even then its touch and go.

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM

G, apparently we don’t look into players that are offered to us. We go and get our own (although you have to go back some transfer windows).

Yet, as Keegan told us, they’ll sign a South American player to sweeten the deal for agents. Corrupt and two-faced. Welcome to capitalism.

• jimmysmith

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Not a lot has been said about his goal on the weekend, doubtless because we lost and his strike rate is so hopeless, but it was really well taken, the knock down, then the turn inside the box into space and the finish. Vintage Shola, and he has scored some great goals over the years, albeit far too few of course. Still love Shola, but yeah, he’s finished, and never really got going to be frank.

• Kamikaze Koala

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM

No No NO we newcastle fans cant be having news like this atm! this will literally tip some over the edge!!!

• Laurent Robert 32

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM

How Shola is still aimlessly bounding about a yard or more behind the ball is nothing short of appalling. Having a Geordie in the team because he’s a Geordie isn’t the way to go if the player simply isn’t up to standard.

The Mackem Slayer tag is just embarrassing too. He’s been here that long that he’s bound to get a few goals. In 13 or 14 years or whatever it is he’s just about hit the 50 goal mark. Dreadful.

If he wasn’t from the area he’d have been sold years ago.

• ash1001

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Mike Ashley get ready to sue me, cos if this story about Shola is true, thats a step too far, and my DD for Season Ticket will be stopped forthwith.
    I have contributed to Bambis wages for far to long, without any return, enough is enough, would call him as a witness in my defence.

• ash1001

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM

ED what the hell is he going to coach anyone to do, other than score goals off your shoulder, how to be off side, fall over when making a tackle, gee they are all positives.

• firebug666

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I really cannot understand how he is still here after fourteen years. Every manager we have had has kept him on, the question is WHY? He has been poor at best for 14 years, and now there is talk of a contract extension. Does Shola come as part of the deal when buying the club, there must be a clause that stops the club moving him on, the whole thing just beggars belief.

• anthc

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Let the season fizzle out? Yeah shola you lot done that in January!
    Can see pardew now “shola signing extension is great news for this club. Hes given the squad a massive boost and gives us another option upfront”. Dear me I can see him being our only signing!
    Shola do the right thing, retire or move on as you’ve done well out of this club don’t be greedy.

• Patoon

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

2 b honest i’d rather play Saylor or Santon up front than Shola, this man is pure and utter shite, always has been and always will b, ffs wot is our club turning into

• thejokethatisnufc

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Pardew telling me that Ameobi deserves a contract and HBA doesnt ? what a joke our club has become.

• toonluvva

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Shola has been loyal to the club, but in reality that’s all.

I was rather disappointed that we didn’t let him go to the African Cup Of Nations when he had the chance. Not good form NUFC.

Yes he’s old and past it, but I do hope he gets into the Nigeria squad for the World Cup, it would be a good way to sign of his career.

• Norpie

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Maybe he’ll be one of those players “we just couldn’t get over the line”.