The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – I Have One Of The Biggest Jobs In England

11:39 pm, Thursday, May 1st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

Alan Pardew talked to the press today, and also held his news conference for the last home game of the season, which is against Cardiff City on Saturday, and we will try to win our first game in seven.

alan pardew press confernce

Alan Pardew – spoke to the press today

This is some of what Alan Pardew has said today, as he was asked various questions relating to the poor performance of the team this year, and the pressure on him to get results:

“I consider this to be one of the biggest jobs in the country.” “To get the opportunity to be this manager is not something I’m going to give up. I will fight for it with all I can.”

“I don’t think it is a decision for managers to make if their position is untenable. Our decision is to lead and manage the team to the best of our ability.”

“Newcastle fans have seen me in this position before. It might be a little bit stronger this time, the feeling for me to go, but it was the same last year and I didn’t walk away.”

“I didn’t suddenly become weak and start hiding and I’m not going to do that on Saturday. If I take some criticism and ridicule, whatever comes my way, I have to show the players that I’m strong enough to cope.”

“My love for the job gives me the strength to come through this. The importance of the game is not lost on us, we want to give our fans something back because we’ve let them down.”

“The personality you need to be a manager is you need to be very strong-willed. You have to show a resolve, to your wife and your daughter, that you are strong enough to deal with it, let alone fans and players.”

“Whatever manager you are, you are going to have some bad times, some really bad times. If you’re going to walk away, then, in my view, you do not have the make up to be a manager or a leader of men.”

We are hoping for a win on Saturday, and Pardew in his press conference today was well aware that the first 25 minutes of the game was important, and that Newcastle had to play well and show some spirit and passion, to help get the crowd behind them.

And even though we’ve lost six in a row, there’s still likely to be over 50,000 at the game – which is the final home game of the season, but there will not be too much celebrating at the end of the game – win, lose or draw.

The team we have at the moment is simply not good enough for Newcastle United, and there has to be some massive rebuilding of the squad in the summer.

We really hope we can get more goals than Cardiff on Saturday. and that would give us the win.

Wouldn’t it? :D

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // May 1, 2014 at 11:46 PM

A “Leader of Men”? Just exactly who does he think he is – Winston Churchill?? FFS – he is a washed up, has-been manager of what used to be an amazing Football Club – until he was allowed to get his grubby mitts on it.

Be gone you fool.

• 2 G // May 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM

If this is AP performing to the best of his ability God help us if he ever has an ‘off-day’! The excuses and lies from this man beggar belief.

• 3 JackButler // May 1, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Lets play finish Alan’s sentence

Pardew – “I Have One Of The Biggest Jobs In England but………………. know I wouldn’t have it if the owner knew his arse from his elbow”

• 4 Ashton // May 1, 2014 at 11:56 PM

What a retard. I have no idea what we’ve done to deserve someone like Pardew.

• 5 Kamikaze Koala // May 1, 2014 at 11:58 PM

The final desperate plea of P45due!!!

• 6 ganiyu // May 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM

pardew is a good manager. he is a good friend of Mr Ashley and also has one of the safest job in Europe. Newcastle Fans are just wasting time rumouring and wishing for his sack ..what a pity!

• 7 Graeme // May 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM

ganiyu @ 6 – sorry my friend, but P45due is anything but a good manager. He has been a lucky manager, but his luck ran out at the end of 2013.

• 8 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM

• 9 Mister Tuff // May 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Ian Toon – thank your for your reply. I would agree that none of us knows truly what Mr “El Gourdo” Tubbs has in store for us in a couple of weeks. There may be an optomistic assumption that whatever it is -it cannot be any worse than what it is at the present time. I do not neccessarily subscribe to the “bogeyman” reasoning that some introduce -that a replacement manager will be worse than Percy Parsnip. Alas sometimes optimism becomes weakened by the rumours of a bogeyman -such as today, when a suggestion was posted that Gary Megson may replace Percy.
    Bottom line is nobody knows what Tubbs may or may not be up to -so we have to just wait and see -however up to now he has been the architect of our misery.
    Percy is quoted today as saying :-”If I take some criticism and ridicule, whatever comes my way, I have to show the players that I’m strong enough to cope.”
    He proves this to be untrue -by making Benny train with the reserves. We are in a right bloody mess -and next weekend subject to worldwide ridicule after we are walloped by Liverpool.

• 10 Ashton // May 2, 2014 at 12:18 AM

ganiyu

Pardew a good manager ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah !!

Thank you! I needed that.

• 11 lesh // May 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM

When Pardew says that a manager, a leader, must be strong and lead, even if his position is untenable, he hasn’t realised that there is a point when succeeding in one’s goal is impossible and it’s time to admit it and go.

I’m beginning to draw an analogy between Pardew’s defiance, nay denial, with that of a certain Adolf Hitler who in his Berlin bunker continued to believe that victory was achievable – even when the Russians were in Berlin, virtually on top of his bunker.

However, the pfennig finally dropped and he resorted to cyanide.

Pardew’s defiant outburst reminds me of that Berlin bunker.

Shouldn’t he best walk away? Tomorrow night’d be preferable all round.

• 12 nightfa11 // May 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM

pardew can be wise..when it comes to theory about life, etc (im guessing thats why ashley & mourinho like him).., but when it comes to actions..hes a complete f*** up.. hes out of his depth..cant motivate, hes tactics are suited for golf, full of excuses.. & before u people start blaming ashley.. dont tell me that with cabaye, we had a top 6 squad..but without him wed be relegated in november ffs based on our form since cabaye left..

when we had big sam for manager i thought this he was the worst manager ever.. im not so sure anymore..

• 13 lesh // May 2, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Ashley could be kind and put Pardew out of his misery before he really does crack, completely.

• 14 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Ashley can’t be that blind that he has apparently met with Colo to tell him there IS money there to invest and reshape the squad, and then allow Pardew to be the man to oversee the investment and reshaping???

Can he???

• 15 spitfire_ // May 2, 2014 at 12:30 AM

pardew: I have one of the biggest jobs in England… so I’ll grip at her and never let go for free.

• 16 USAunitedfan // May 2, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Nothing he said about himself is true. He quite obvoisly cant lead a team and he doesnt have leadership qualities. Sadly the fact is that he does have the biggest job in england.

• 17 toonking // May 2, 2014 at 3:30 AM

________krul
    debuchy_mbiwa_colo_hadaira
    ______tiote__anita_sissoko
    marvo___cisse___HBA

then this great cover
    _______elliot
    santon_WILLO_SAYLOR_DUMMETT
    OBATAN__bigi__JONAS
    SAMMI__SHOLA__gouffran

• 18 toonking // May 2, 2014 at 3:36 AM

ashley you are now the best owner football can ask for.

fans don’t want a team full of super stars
    they want a squad with shola ameobi dummett and other crap academy players

i’m sorry for all the negativity i give you because i’ve changed my mind get rid of this manager and bring in you favourite person JFK or the other managers who will manager clubs with no ambition.

ashley is the greatest.

we all love giving you money.

liverpool fans are the idiots who get rid of bad owners.
    newcastle want to mimic the blackburn route.

• 19 Thump // May 2, 2014 at 4:03 AM

Doesn’t he mean it’s his duty to manage and lead the team…?

• 20 theartfuldodger // May 2, 2014 at 4:18 AM

What about the fact that fans dont want you here…We dont want yr strength…We dont want you as the leader…

• 21 ~Anita One Bites The Dust~ // May 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM

We will lose to Cardiff and we will gift liverpool the title. That is all that is going to happen before this season ends.

• 22 Go toon gooooo // May 2, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Alan Pardew out.

• 23 firebug666 // May 2, 2014 at 6:53 AM

But don’t you have to have some ability first?

• 24 bobby mango // May 2, 2014 at 7:19 AM

It takes a stronger man to swallow his pride, admit he’s out of his depth and do the right. P45DUE doesn’t have the balls for that.
    He selfishly ploughs on, happily depressing 1000s of people… So long as you’re in a job eh Al?

• 25 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 7:22 AM

What wonderful news, I always knew you wouldn’t leave us Alan!

Now, anyone have any good recommendations for a termite problem? It’s quite the infestation.

Ed…What’s this bit about Pardew knowing the first 25 minutes are important? Did he go on to say he knows the other 65 minutes are fairly important too?

On the last thread…

“But we have no chance at all of winning the Premier League, but if we played our strongest side, we could get to a cup final and possibly win it” – Could we though? We can’t even manage to draw a match at the minute let alone win a game. Still, that could all change against Cardiff I guess. It would be nice to get a one game unbeaten run in before the Liverpool game.

• 26 BuckLuck // May 2, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I think he’s done. He makes Ashley look stupid and even if Ashley is a stubborn prlck he is not stupid. To give Pardew millions of pounds is poor business, and to use millions of pounds is inevitable this summer with the reported mass exodus.
    Let’s just hope he doesn’t hire the typical has been british manager, and that the years in the game as owner has shown him that an attacking philosophy makes players value increase.
    Ahh, fcuk…who am I kidding. Most likely we will end up with Pulis or Bruce. *sigh*

Btw. I would love this kid, Martin Ødegård. This is the kind of talent we need. 15 year old attacking midfielder with bags of technique and flair, and he is showing good stuff in the top division in Norway. I know Tippeligaen isn’t the best league but he will quickly out grow them and move to one of the big teams in Europe.

• 27 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Always in Pardews shadows. This is what he means by being a leader of men.

• 28 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Newcastle v Cardiff

I went to the Arsenal v Newcastle game and Alan Pardew’s team were ridiculously poor. They are a big club and I really felt for their fans, who came down all that way to support their team on a Monday night when they are in the middle of the table and can’t do anything. The supporters are phenomenal and I felt for them – and they should get back to winning ways here. If they don’t win this then Alan Pardew is under real, real pressure. A good win here would send the fans home with a bit of enthusiasm, but if they don’t then I dread to think what will happen. I would have said this was a good chance for Cardiff to get some points, but not after watching them last week. I think Newcastle will win.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0

Paul mate, 2 goals? Really, we can’t handle that sort of pressure.
    —-

Newcastle v Cardiff

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew does not have to worry about relegation but he is another man who is in real danger of losing his job. After six straight defeats, the Magpies fans have turned against him in a big way.

Once the supporters do that, it is not long until the owner and chief executive come under pressure to do something about it, and they usually react. That reaction is not to hand the manager a new eight-year contract either.

I do fancy Pardew to end his wait for a win this weekend, however.
    The bottom of the Premier League table

The bottom of the Premier League table with two weekends of the season to go

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer won at St James’ Park in the FA Cup in his first game in charge of Cardiff but they slipped into the bottom three a week later after losing his first league game, and they have not been out of the relegation zone since.

Cardiff’s heavy defeat at Sunderland put them closer to the drop and, if the Bluebirds stick with Solskjaer, then I think he will be managing in the Championship next season.

My three teams to go down are the current bottom three – Cardiff, Fulham and Norwich.

For various reasons, it is very difficult to see any of them getting out of it.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-1

Simon’s prediction: 3-0

Well well, at least Lawro has us conceding, that calms me a bit more. We still have to find goals though. Shouldn’t be too hard, should it?

• 29 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Faria gets a six game stadium ban for screaming at the Ref while Pardew gets a three game stadium ban for head butting a player???

I’m I missing something here?

• 30 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 7:49 AM

BuckLuck…I’m not sure how Ashley can get away with not spending this summer, how much he has to spend is an entirely different debate, but it will still be a considerable sum one would think (probably naively). If Ashley does have doubts about Pardew, then surely he wont entrust him with that money?

• 31 Assam Toon // May 2, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Nice to see NUST taking a leaf out of Mahatma Gandhi’s book. This is the Gandhian concept of non cooperation. And it worked for the Indians to get independence. NUFC fans can use this concept in similar innovative ways persistently and persevere till some genuine footy loving billionaire buys us.
    I hope everyone in SJP walks out on 69th minute. It will be a huge statement.

• 32 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 7:50 AM

JB…You forgot his 3 game touchline ban too.

I think the FA simply decided having Pardew with the team is bigger punishment than banning him :)

• 33 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Assam…I thought I read yesterday that the planned walk out had nothing to do with NUST.

Mind, they did have a meeting last night, so maybe that has changed now?!?

Did anyone go the NUST meeting last night?

• 34 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Ibiza

You’re right mate, having Pardew around is the biggest punishment they could dish out ;)

• 35 Average_Contents // May 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM

All hail Alan the king, our saviour and redemption!

Thanks but no thanks you deluded, egotistical bullshitting creature of the night now Fcukoff and take you rotund mate with you!

Good morning fellow doomdayers ;)

• 36 BuckLuck // May 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Ibizatoon

I’m also pretty sure he won’t trust Pardew with that kind of money. What “that kind of money” is is the big question. If it is a sum that can bring us only two purples I will be dissapointed. If it is a sum that can get us 4-5 I’m satisfied. This is of course on top of the money we get from selling, but we never know with Ashley.

One thing this summer will bring us is how Ashley sees Newcastles future. If he doesn’t invest fairly heavy now he never will. If he hasn’t used money come september it’s not one single argument left regarding his ownership. He’s shown all his cards.

• 37 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 8:01 AM

JB…I have heard that Pardew has a new job lined up already. Instead of banning managers etc in the future, Pardew gets sent in as temporary manager. That’ll get people under control, but harsh, but effective.

Average…Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I’ve told you, take down your Pardew poster off the wall – it only upsets you and gets you all grumpy.

• 38 Ian Toon // May 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Mr Tuff- thank you for raising the level of debate. In support of the toon and posting on here we all tend to believe that others are basically like ourselves,that they have similar values, assumptions and feelings. Consequently, when they don’t act as we expect or would wish we conclude that it is up to them to change and not us. As I have said I don’t see merit in entrenched thinking.

I also don’t have a problem with alternative opinions but I do feel the need to provide my own perception of reality with the current regime. We are largely at the mercy of Ashley who unlike in his SD operations displays a stalling mentality with regard to NUFC and prolongs the decision making process to ridiculous and unproductive limits. I won’t go through the catelogue of issues where he has sat on the problem rather than going forward with the solution(a stitch in time saves nine) and ultimately deriving benefit for the football club. Speculate to accumulate.

An issue where we might have less agreement concerns HBA. I have witnessed at close quarters a lack of motivation on Hetem’s part going as far back as the West Ham game. He has displayed a typical negativistic impact on the team which in my opinion has had a detrimental impact. It is far to easy to underestimate
    the impact this can have on a squad. Problems can collectively be overcome and when conditions are right we can stimulate our search for alternatives rather than discourage them. Motivation comes from within. I am a firm believer in the ” I will show him” mentality. It could be that Pardew is endeavouring to stimulate Hatem- we don’t really know. Personally I see merit in starting him tomorrow. In any event I will be giving my 100% support to the toon and not walking out until after the final whistle.
    HWTL . Enjoy your day.

• 39 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM

I’m convinced that Ashley will pull the plug on Pardew, as I seriously doubt he will allow this incompetent fool to be a part of the reported rebuilding of the squad

• 40 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM

BuckLuck…I believe Ashley has already shown us tbh. 5 purples? That’s just crazy talk :)

What we have to understand is you don’t “need” loads of players in the summer. The winter window is the perfect time to really assess your squad and whether you’re running the risk of relegation.

I expect nothing more than the minimum requirements for this summer. By minimum requirements, I mean Ashleys minimum.

• 41 70TWO // May 2, 2014 at 8:11 AM

######———–###—–#####
    ##—–##——##-##—–##
    ##——##—##–##—–##
    ##—-##—#######—####
    #####———–##———–##
    ##—————-##———-##
    ##—————##—–####

• 42 BuckLuck // May 2, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Ibizatoon

I’m afraid you’re right.
    One year from now on though I was slightly optimistic. Torq and a couple of others kept me believe, and I do believe they were right about the little info they had.
    Therefore I think Ashley actually do try and build us up, but he doesn’t want to spend doing it/he doesn’t know how to do it. I think that’s the problem. We always start of the bidding at 50% of the players value and that hasn’t worked too well. We loose our targets faster than we can scout new ones.

• 43 Ibizatoon // May 2, 2014 at 8:16 AM

BuckLuck…I too believe we do look at players, I just believe the instruction is as simple as “Find me players whose value will increase with little outlay”.

Oh well, that’s me done for today. Getting far too upbeat so best be off.

Have a good day, one and all.

• 44 BuckLuck // May 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Ibizatoon

Hehe. Getting upbeat these days is not recommended, but fans always has that next season syndom. Probably why we’re still here.

Have a good day :)

• 45 BandB // May 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM

NUST have announced on their website this morning that they are calling for a 69th minutes walk-out.
    It could be rather late in the day to introduce an alternative time to the 60 minutes already suggested.
    Surely some fans won’t know when to walk out, with the result that confusion reigns and the effect is diluted.
    It is no good having good ideas if you can’t get the timing right.
    I would strongly advise them and those who back them to publicize it like fury over the next 36 hours. I shouldn’t be the first person mentioning it on here.

• 46 Average_Contents // May 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Ibiza

Unfortunately this is how I wake up most mornings because the realisation suddenly dawns on me that fatty is still here and his puppet still has his job ;)

This summer? He’s already played his hand on numerous occasions then it’s always ” we’ll wait till next window to see what his intentions are” where does it stop? How long are people willing to give him? I for one gave up a long time ago regarding anything good he would do for this club…..there is no light at the end of the tunnel and perhaps that’s why people are blind to his shortcomings!

• 47 Macas // May 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

The NUST are a bunch of clueless cretins. Trying to hijack the walkout so close to the game and changing the time just shows what a bunch of idiots they really are.

• 48 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

BandB

NUST are being slaughtered on twitter for getting the time wrong :D

• 49 Average_Contents // May 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM

BandB

I don’t get why nust would do that as a 60 minute walkout had already been mooted

The only reason I can think of is so they can go “it was us we did this” as why 9 minutes after the original planned time, it doesn’t make sense

• 50 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM

See how Pardew name-drops wife and daughter as a subtle subliminal softner?

Pathetic. Pardew out.

• 51 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM

If people want to change the time then 60 seconds would be better. Or not go at all.

• 52 martoon // May 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Average_Contents @48 – According to their bumpf the 69 minutes represents 1969 – the last time we won a cup. However like the rest of you I am amazed they are trying to hijack this idea and not only that then change the time – they are not doing their credibility any good at all. Ciaran where are you – can you explain it?

• 53 Rotonda heights // May 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Could have sworn we had Remy too this season.

Not defending Ash in any way as he is as footballing clueless as someone else on here but when he bought those 6 players in that January transfer window he probably didn’t envisage finishing 16th and losing at home to people like Reading.

I don’t think anyone saw Gouffran being made in to a defensive left mid, MYM into a right back, Haidara become 3rd choice behind Dummet, or Sissoko being turned into a right winger etc, etc.

Those 6 + Remy and no Europa, or domestic cup competition should have seen us get top 8 minimum.

I can’t stand Ash for appointing P45DUE, JFK, Llambias and Wise and for entertaining Wonga, but this squad isn’t the worse and with a better manager who wanted to play football and win things, then the likes of Ba, Cabaye, Colo etc who have all criticised P45DUE’s tactics may have wanted to stay where everything was set up for them.

It’s funny how just for one example, 2 vastly superior coaches at Liverpool and Roma want Ben Arfa,

• 54 JackButler // May 2, 2014 at 8:37 AM

No lap of honour…..cough!!!

Players to clap fans from centre circle

• 55 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Like when Cisse and Remy got last minute winners not too long since after another very poor performance, there should be no longer any more papering over cracks.

Pardew has been swimming on an ocean wave with the individual ability of these players. He’s a very lucky puppet that he has players like Remy to get him out of trouble when for another game he serves up crap.

• 56 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Rotonda, right on as usual.

It’s so deflating. Other poor managers we’ve had get sacked after they’re shown up. This idiot is still here and that’s the hardest thing to take. No sign of the end.

Ashley out, Pardew out.

• 57 Laurent Robert 32 // May 2, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Last year Pardew scurried off out of sight on the final whistle.

Hopefully the ground will be well empty by then this year with only Ian Toon clapping for more of the same at the end.

• 58 estechco // May 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Whilst I understand the sentiment, making another option above/beyond the 60 minute walkout is only going to confuse what is already likely to be a divided audience?

People are often leaving around 69th minute anyway…60th minute for me