The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ashley Chose The Wrong Club When He Bought Newcastle

2:10 pm, Sunday, May 4th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 266 Comments

When Mike Ashley decided to buy Newcastle United back in the summer of 2007, that’s the  famous club in the north-east, he made the wrong choice, and seven years later with only one top ten finish so far, and one relegation, that’s very obvious to Geordie fans these days.

laughing mike ashley

Mike Ashley – Newcastle not the club to buy to have fun
Unless he wants to make us a top four club again

And when Mike was asked why he was buying the club at the time, one of the things he said was that he wanted to have some fun.

Well if he wanted to have fun with a football club, then  Newcastle was definitely the wrong choice, and certainly Newcastle fans haven’t had much fun under Mike Ashley’s reign at Newcastle.

While Mike has put the club on a good financial shape, he has done little else and he simply doesn’t have the same high ambitions as the fans – which was to be in the top six in the Premier League every single season and be in Europe every season.

You don’t hear too many Newcastle fans in the pub, talking about how excited and thrilled they are at Newcastle, because we are in good financial shape.

Ashley runs the club as a bank, and he seems happy enough to have the Magpies in the top ten every season, so we get a high financial payout from the Premier League, but we’ve only managed that low ambition once so far in the last seven years, with a possibility we can do it again this season.

Mike isn’t interested in building up Newcastle to challenge the likes of the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham  and Chelsea – the top six clubs in England – and Alan Pardew keeps telling us we cannot compete with those clubs.

But Everton have shown this year and we showed two years ago, that you can compete with those clubs – and Pardew should stop talking about not being able to compete – as if that is supposed to lower the fans expectations – no way.

One thing that’s missing with Ashley is the ambition and will to have Newcastle become a top four club again in England, and it he doesn’t have that goal – we’ll never be in the top four again with Ashley as the owner.

That’s a frightening thought.

One of the big problems with Mike Ashley’s ownership is the gap in ambition between the fans – who are the real owners of the club – and Mike Ashley himself.

Perhaps he should have bought a club which has lower ambitions and not the history of a Newcastle United, and it would have been a much better match – and both sides would have been happy at the mediocrity.

Newcastle United is not the club to buy if you want to have fun, unless you are willing to put big money into the club, and make us a top four club again – and give the fans what they want.

That’s the truth.

Tags: Europa League · European Champions League · European Competition · Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League

266 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM

0 responses so far ?

There are no comments yet … please kick things off by filling out the form below.

previous post: Will Pardew Have Trouble Recovering From Incredible Abuse?

• 2 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Bored sorry.

• 3 spitfire_ // May 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Chose the wrong club? He chose the right club. And yesterday’s game show this. from 48 geordies only 3-4k leave at the 60-69th min. The rest obviously are just fine with all bollocks in the club. So… the fans deserve the current situation.

• 4 spitfire_ // May 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

*48k geordies

• 5 toon22 // May 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM

How can the greasy fat lump keep p45due when the crowd prevent him from leaving the dugout?
    Do people here think after a summer of the usual rubbish(mystical line they cant drag people over) the crowd are going to lap up an almost certain relegation?

I think its going to be hard for most officials to be in the ground.

• 6 lew // May 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I actually disagree. I think it is a good thing that MA is in charge!

What I don’t understand is that he trusts Pardew! That’s rubbish!
    Who’s worth the most, HATEM BEN ARFA or a pardew without clue?
    -One thing is to admit that he don’t had a clue on running a football club to start with, but you don’t need to be a rocket-scientist to see that Pardew is out of ideas! Gosling instead of Ben Arfa, anyone instead of Ameobi etc.

GET PARDEW OUT ALREADY!!! :D

• 7 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Does this suggest that he’s only in it for the money? What about the fans Alan? I think he’s slowly but surely, starting to think of us like his boss thinks of us! It’s only going to get worse whilst these two are here! Fcuking cheeky cnut!

It was an important day, we know that, all round, really, for the club. It was the club that was important, and our staff.

‘All the staff at the stadium were hoping to get their bonus, and hopefully we have delivered that, but we will have to wait to see what Palace do.’

• 8 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Unbelievable!

• 9 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Anyone else think we bought the wrong amalfitano? ;)

• 10 lew // May 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Meant anyone else than Ameobi lol, Ameobi is out of date by 10-something years!

• 11 Bambams // May 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I genuinely thought more were going to leave than did but it has been covered in the press so at least P45due realises he is not wanted.

Dont think Ashley will lose any sleep over it and the only small problem we have is if P45due is sacked….. Who would work for Ashley ?

• 12 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Arsenal cruising again! Just like against us! Not out of first gear

• 13 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Got a very good feeling that Pardew is gone come end of this season.

• 14 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM

The difference is at least west Brom are having a go and attacking (with limited success) but their trying!

• 15 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Jon Champion commentating on Arsenal v WBA just said Loic Remy at Emirates in one of corporate boxes.

• 16 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

just seen him HD haha

• 17 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Remy in the crowd at Arsenal the fcuking cnut!

• 18 midweek weekend // May 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

remy in the crowd, that means we also need another top goal scorer on top of the colo and yohan kebap replacement, oh would also be nice if we could have some natural wingers too, i dont know about you guys but im seriously worried about next season we need a good transfer window or relegation here we come.

• 19 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Not sure if he was in a Corp box it just showed his face

So there we go folks the final nail in the coffin so to speak! Can’t blame him for not wanting to stay at a club with zero ambition but it’s the total lack of respect for us fans by sitting there! Just goes to show how mercenary some players are!

• 20 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there are a lot of new posters here since 2 days…

Our mgmt has turned the club into Clown FC

• 21 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Theart

Sure seems that way mate

• 22 toon kk // May 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM

The majority of so called fans aren’t bothered how the club is run, who’s in the team or who our manager is, they go to watch a football match, yes they like us all want a victory.
    MA knows what ever he does may get criticism occasionally but most people just go along with the flow.
    Maybe more would have left SJP yesterday had we been loosing, who knows?

• 23 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Remys watching his new club in action. Sack Pardew!

• 24 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

And Pardew thought he could convince Remy to stay…

If Pardew can convince Collback to join iL be shocked…

Anyways…Pardew has bigger problems…he needs to find a way to get up from his seat…haha

• 25 lew // May 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I can’t see how we could stay up next season with Pardumb!

We need players that don’t give a shait about what the manager thinks of gameplans.

• 26 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Mike Ashley didn’t chose the wrong club, the mistake was him taking any club. The man does not deserve to own any club at all with his total disregard for fans.

He knows football fans, unlike his SD customers, are loyal to a club and therefore knows he can exploit them however he likes…he is a total crook.

If he treat SD customers like he does us then none of them would be going back.

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM

My stance on not watching anymore Newcastle games will stand until Parsnip is gone!

…principles have to come first!

• 28 toon kk // May 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Remys gone to watch some decent football with a team playing who’ll he’ll be probably playing for next season.
    He’ll know our squad is below par so why stay with a club with no ambition, you can’t blame the lad.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM

TS…if we knows this and still go back to SJP and still buy season tickets what does that say about us?

…who’s the bigger fool the fool or those who follow?

• 30 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

It appears like Ash has succeeded in creating a divide among fans too..

• 31 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM

jesperfuglsang

I’m on the same stance as you mate, I will not watch a single match at all till that cockney retards f**** off.

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Turkish…I have taken stance since early Feb. It’s s small sacrifice for the greater good.

• 33 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM

jesper

I know what you mean, and when others say the same thing, we should just not go…i don’t but i have never been a regular, too expensive with the travel involved too.

But I fully understand fans going just wanting to cheer on their team through this bad time, letting the players know they are supported even if they hate the owner and the thought of giving him cash.

For some it’s just a way of life, they have been going to the game for 30/40+ years and just love everything that goes with it, the people, the pre game beers, cheering for your side, etc etc

• 34 cestriasteve // May 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Captain, I posted this morning that I honestly believe Ashley will sign a director of football before sacking Pardew.

Honestly I don’t know why anybody is surprised about Remy at the Arsenal game, they are a perfect fit for him in London where he craves the limelight. Move on, he isn’t the player for us. I’d be much happier with a player with a bit more loyalty who doesn’t crave the bright lights of the big city.

• 35 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM

TS,

Way of life…sad but true…thats the only explanation..

• 36 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM

We already have 2 DoFs in Mike Ashley and Alan Pardew…Dictators of Football

• 37 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM

dodger

it’s good in a way…you saw the mackems this year missing 12-14,000 fans when they were struggling, even when we are we still sell out near enough, shows people really do care for the club.

• 38 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM

In 1909, a team of miners from West Auckland county Durham, played in the first world cup competition the Sir Thomas Lipton cup and won it and did it all again two years later thrashing the Italian giants Juventus 6-1 in the final. Amazing!

• 39 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

guvnor

West Auckalnd are in the FA vas final this year and off to wembley.

• 40 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Yeah I know keep Pardew away!

• 41 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

What they actually have achieved is right up there with the very best of English football legends.

• 42 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

The idea of not letting Pardew get up yesterday was really good…

• 43 Oldgit1 // May 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM

If supporters don’t buy their season tickets Ashley will have a fire sale with massive 70% off

• 44 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM

it seems as if pardew really is ”untouchable”. I’ve never known a man with less dignity and so obviously hang around for a pay-off for failure. he’s just like a banker.

• 45 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Stupid people on saying stuff about Newcastle.

One of the fans “I love Pardew, I love him”

……………..

• 46 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

TS…I made an example not so long ago about sacrifice – I am not going to say what is was because I was maybe in the grey area, but the point was that it’s not like the Geordie supporters are making the sacrifice of the century by not going to SJP!

..I can name a people who have made a greater sacrifice and are not looking back ;) From afare we do come across as spoiled and pampered ;)

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

*gray

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Is it grey or gray? I am confused now :D lol

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

cestriasteve…do you think we will sack him then?

• 50 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:20 PM

There are many more PDL’S then I thought.
    So looks like there is many fans that still support Pardew and think he is the right man to take us forward.

It’s either that or there is sad mackems calling in as NUFC fans..

• 51 toonluvva // May 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I see Remy is getting into training for Arsenal next season.

No doubt he’ll find the subs bench there quite comfortable.

It was nice while we had him, albeit on loan, and I really do wish him well for the future.

Also nice to see Ba getting a rare run out from the start of a Chelsea match.

• 52 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

OMG

“No NUFC fan can say in over 10 years of Pardew’s career has he played garbage football in his whole managerial career, its just garbage. How did they finish 5th then??””

SERIOUSLY IM GETTING PISSED OFF

This stupid southern media talk alload of crap and think they talk for the fans.

Chat alload of crap, just crap dripping out.

• 53 wolfshead@toon // May 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

jesper

if you arent watching the toon anymore does that mean you wont be on here giving your 2 cents worth then? ;-)

• 54 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

“Newcastle United should consider themselves lucky, the likes of Villa, Norwich, Spurs and Cardiff have been playing rubbish football whereas Newcastle have been playing like Real Mardird”

WTF?????

• 55 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

“I’d give my right arm for Sam Allardyce, he is a brilliant manager. Look what he did at Bolton, west ham fans are deluded”

LOL………………

• 56 BandB // May 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Yesterday we witnessed what was probably the first ever televised example of turkeys voting for Christmas.
    At least many who stayed seemed to have Pardew rattled.
    By a disgusting show bullying, apparently.
    It seems we should all be turkeys. Not just voting for Christmas, but cheering til our little eyeballs pop for it too.

• 57 toonking // May 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM

turkish

well what you could say is we should consider ourselves lucky that we have not followed the route of cardiff or atleast not yet.

they like blackburn have lost a manager who was doing fine and appoint a one who is awful now we see them both back in the championship.

don’t forget that next year rangers will have been promoted back into the SPL, ashley does own rangers so basically why would he want to waste money on building this team when he could be selling us next season.

• 58 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Cockney idiot defending another cockney ego of a manager.
    “Pardew was Manager of the year and in his period here has not even been in the relegation slide”

WTF, LAST SEASON YOU COCKNEY B@T@RD.

“He has kept Newcastle up and quiet frankly Newcastle are not a big club, they are lucky to even be in top 10 with the investment going in.”

………. speechless.

• 59 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Just some Pardew BS when he first joined
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

But Pardew immediately tried to build bridges with the ‘second to none’ Toon Army and promised to produce the kind of flair football they crave.

‘I’m not a Geordie of course, but I’m a football person with a love of the game and I can assure you I bring great drive, desire and commitment to the job,” he said. “I have always managed teams that have played attacking positive football, something I know the supporters here appreciate.

‘At the same time I intend to focus on developing exciting young players through the club’s excellent academy and development squad, and I know the board here at St James’ Park are very committed to that too.

‘I represent the fans. I’m an employee of the club but I’ll be knocking on the door trying to get the maximum funds I can to make the club the best it can be. I’ve never had a problem with that in the past.

‘In the past I have convinced owners to have faith and trust in me to invest. Obviously I’ve got to gain that. I think I’ve got a good record in the Premier League but I’m not going to compare myself to what Chris has done – because he’s done a super job.

‘But I’m a competent manager, I give fans information and don’t withhold anything. I like to think the players will grow to respect me and what I do. I’ve never really had a problem with playing staff and I hope that continues here.’

‘The brief for me would be to consolidate and stay in the division – but there’s an opportunity this year…the Premier League is so close. We’re in a great position for a team that’s just been promoted but we’ve got to kick on.

‘Our home form needs to improve, we don’t need another down day on Saturday. That’s an area we have to look to and make sure we put teams under continuous pressure.

‘My own theory about football is that some of the most successful sides create players from within. So I’ll be making sure underneath the first team there is a good solid base of young players coming through.

‘In my career I’ve been creative with transfers. I got Yossi Benayoun for small money and took players out of the Championship who did brilliantly for me at West Ham.

‘My message is there is a team to be proud of. I can understand the frustration of losing Chris. I’m very much aware the only faith I’m going to gain is by keeping this club in the Premier League, where it belongs.’
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Could he not just be sacked for being in complete breach of everything he claimed he would do?

• 60 toonking // May 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

this summer transfer window will reveal all.

Q is he going to replace cabaye an ba +all the players we sell this summer or is he just going to be getting players who can play all over?

Q. will the players we bring in be £20+ or is it going to be very cheap ones who the other teams don’t care about anyway.

Q.does ashley want to build a team or does he just want to begin preparing for rangers?

Q. if we have a bad summer who is going to be blamed ashley or pardew, also who would still expect decent managers to come?

• 61 stuart no9 // May 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

The walk out was a success .we just have to maintain the abuse and banners and whatever it takes . Ashley has to go . No one buys NUFC for fun !

• 62 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Definite false advertising RH, im sure trading standards would take him down if we belled them.

• 63 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Cockney idiot keeps repeating “They lost there best player Cabaye, it is all the owners fault not Pardew’s”

No team should ever be played around 1 player, especially for managers like Pardew that never have plan b or c let alone a plan A.

No team can drop soo much in motivation and form due to one player getting sold, there is serious dressing room problems and most players are not behind Pardew.

• 64 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

stuart no9

Exactly, the walk out was a success and has created bad publicity especially for Mike Ashley and his empire of Sports Direct.

If we carry this on, this would sure to get alert of billionaires to see the real potential of Newcastle United and take us, a big club into the right direction.

• 65 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM

68tynesidetommo // May 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM

The treatment of Pardew was disgusting. It was bullying on a massive scale. Many of the abusers would have been boozed up and egged on by brainless morons. The behavior was despicable and embassing. Geordies making mugs of themselves across the nation. Fouled mouthed thugs in a black and whiteshirt goaded by unelected numpties on fanzines. Be proud you twats

i take it this guy is new on the blog

• 66 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Pardews a right banker, Rotonda!

• 67 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Turkish

I suggest on medical grounds that you stop listening to talksport as you seem likely to suffer some form of life threatening injury mate like spontaneous human combustion or worse an aneurysm due to getting wound listening to bullshit ;)

• 68 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM

1-0 the heed!

• 69 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

welshgeordie9

Most likely that and seems he may be a mackem or in the PDL.

A big stupid twat, brave to even make a post like that.

• 70 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

TK

If it’s such a hard job and everything is so against him why is Pardew still here? 10M reasons and everyone knows it.

Pardew parked the bus for most of the second half against possibly the worst team I have ever seen come to sjp.

For me it’s not about the players. yes we could ave a better squad for sure, equally we could have worse, but crucially it’s how the manager sets a team up to play that is what the majority of fans are so disillusioned and fed up with.

With remy, sissoko, debuchy, tiote, krul, colo etc we have a fair bit of quality in anyone’s book, but the manager decides to make it such hard work for the team to play and for fans to watch it.

• 71 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Average_Contents

How do these people even get to control radio stations is beyond me.

Stupid clowns trying to speak for NUFC fans, down from south and speaking like clueless twats.

My cat when trying to speak makes more sense then these clowns down south.

• 72 tequilamag // May 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Turkish. don`t you come from London?

• 73 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

All southerners are thick as pigs shite!

• 74 thepict // May 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Rather see Demba Ba back here than Louc Remy signing full time. No clas whatsoever that man.

• 75 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM

TurkishFan101

That’s probably why he has disappeared log on type in a stupid comment and then log back off.

• 76 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Remys goals kept us up!

• 77 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Well this Chelsea match is rather boring a bit like manxpie really

Ha ha ha

• 78 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Good afternoon mag mate and how are you today

• 79 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:09 PM

The problem with Remy and Ba is that if we had just paid the going rate and given them good contracts they would both have been our players with no release clauses and if we had lost them it would have been for good money, not peanuts for Ba and nothing for Remy.

• 80 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Quite a good article on fatty and his puppets failings!

• 81 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

turkish

arsenal lost walcott, wilshire, ramsay and ozil, everton lost lukaku and suarez had that long ban.

cabaye played in 5 losing matches in a 7 game sequence just before he left and as you say we have a manager who struggles to have a plan A to cope without one player, let alone B, C and D.

• 82 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM

The thing about Remy and Ba, is they are ambitious and good players.

• 83 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Ok Welshgeordie and your good self?

• 84 TurkishFan101 // May 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM

tequilamag

Yes, but I had to argue my way through ever since I was 10 to other people and defend my club at every instance.

Every person I had spoken to while living down there and studying (Im at university of Lancaster now) there was arguments everyday and banter down there since it was the most talked about in London.

Being born in London and supporting Newcastle may be shocking to hear as everyone I have told have put a shocked face for sure but I am proud and have never ever thought of a day to switch clubs ever.

• 85 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

rotonda

Arsenal dropped off form massively when they lost ramsey, made a huge difference and cost them having a shot at the title in the end.

Everton coped well without lukaku i think, but he wasn’t out for many games if i recall correctly, but i agree they just adapted nicely to a slightly different style.

Liverpool coped well without suarez or 6 games then without sturridge for 9.

• 86 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Not bad mate, did you go the match yesterday

• 87 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Well regardless of numbers the walk out did what it intended, bought attention and coverage to the frustration of the toon army and thought, for once, most the media coverage handled it very well

Jesper
    Many people see sacrifice in many different ways
    Some may say simply not finding a stream isn’t much of a sacrifice but it’s your sacrifice and that should be applauded

But if there is one thing the people of the north east is it most certainly not spoiled not pampered
    Many many people and families have had to move far away from the area to simply make a living
    Like i said you may well look at it as in there making no effort, but no one can accuse anyone further north than the midlands who have to graft there fingers to the bone to see there team due to the over inflated pricing from the FA as being spoiled nor pampered

Why do you think there was such uproar over Wonga as a shirt sponsor? Because these people systematically target areas where income is down and poverty is on the rise

The fans way well be naive, maybe even afraid of losing what has been a massive part of there life and upbringing but honestly you need to stop calling these people that invest there hard earned money following there club spoiled and pampered because it couldn’t be further from the truth

• 88 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

TT

The funniest one was

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 89 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

But all those teams couldn’t cope with the Pardew factor!

• 90 Average_Contents // May 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM

TS

That’s exactly it mate, the going rate for premier league quality strikers wages but we do the same with their prices aswell! No ambition just happy to flounder around as long as relegation isn’t an issue! Fcuking disgrace

• 91 mag // May 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Yes Welshgeordie pure farcical!

• 92 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Sage
    Your right think Lukaku only missed 3 or 4 games

Looks like Remy has earned himself a move to Arsenal, fair play to the lad if you can make yourself look a real player in this shower then you prob deserve to be playing at a higher level, think he’ll do well at arsenal

• 93 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM

tads

I agree with you. I think everyone sees it differently.

– some, like a lot here are outraged and want change, organise protests, boycott themselves, etc

– others have been there, seen much much worse and are happy to have a team safely in the prem league, just like to watch their team

– others still don’t mind what happens, obviously want the best but would turn up if they were relegated down 5 divisions, they just love to go to the stadium, catch up with mates and watch the team

All of these people are as much a fan as anyone else in my opinion, they all want to see the club do as well as it can, they just all have their own views on how to achieve that.

• 94 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM

sage

Point being arsenal will probably win a cup and have CL football. Their worst season with 4 serious injuries still trumps our best ever one !!

Lukaku was out nearly 3 months and Martinez converted Naismith to a striker who covered admirably.

As you say Liverpool also adapted.

Pardew is a pathological liar. we don’t play on the front foot and he has developed precisely nobody.

• 95 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Sage
    Fully agree mate, still have a lot of family living in the area, a few no longer go to games, a few wouldn’t dream of ever cancelling there season tickets

Neither are right or wrong they just support the club in there own way

But my mini rant which i promise wasn’t supposed to be a rant was more this saying which has cropped up a few times about us being spoiled, think 90% of the people who have lived in the area would say that couldn’t be wider of the mark!

• 96 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

rotonda

I’m sure lukaku wasn’t out 3 months, i’m positive it was 3/4 games he missed, so in reality not a huge loss even if it was a long period of time.

Arsenal have been top 4 for 17 years so bound to have more strength in depth, unfair comparison I think. Basically they were 7 points clear and during the period of ramseys injury there has been a 14 point swing for them, that’s not really adapting well.

• 97 tequilamag // May 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

RH why do you keep saying lukakau was out for 3 months? He has appeared in all but 5 PL games 2 of those were against Chelsea and he was not allowed to play in them.

• 98 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

tads

Fully agree with that, you’ll obviously have the odd person but the vast majority have to work damn hard just to keep their heads above water, then even harder to get to games, i’d never say they should miss out on that when they earn it.

• 99 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

lukaku has played 32 of 37 games, missing 2 against chelsea and 3 for injury.

• 100 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Wolfs…you should probably not count on that, but you always have the option to pass my comments by (I am very good at being selective myself ;) )

• 101 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Lukaku hasn’t missed much but even when he has imo Everton have a stronger attacking force than us with natural width

We lost Remy for something like 13 games this season, our lack of depth is staggering and highlighted that Shola and Cisse are in the same total for PL goals
    With Remy gone and hopefully LDJ not having his option to sign activated we need a major major overhaul of the final 3rd this summer

We need 2-3 CF’s bought in, good ones who can actually score, we need wingers, desperately and we need an actual number 10

• 102 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM

tads

My summer shopping list would be

2 x strikers
    2 x wingers
    1 x creative mid
    1 x CB

Then assess who else leaves.

• 103 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Sage
    I think we’re going to need to add a RB LB and GK to the list!

• 104 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 5:36 PM

tads…I can only tell how it comes across from a far – whether people from the North East see themselves differently is a different story!

…sacrifice sure is different for everyone…and would you imagine not everyone is so lucky to be cab drive away from SJP (but you know that don’t you ;) )

• 105 Tinman // May 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

So it looks like Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff are going down. Who would you sign from them if anyone? I would love to see some of these players at Newcastle:

Redmond
    Ruddy / Stekelenburg (if Krul goes)
    Caulker
    Fer
    Dan Burn (born in Blyth, strong young CB, looks great prospect)
    Hangeland wouldn’t be a bad signing either but he is getting on a bit

• 106 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

tads

on a budget you could do

gomis, aaron hunt, tom ince all free

then cabella, caulker (relegated so possibly cheaper) and mitroglou (also relegated so maybe cash in).

Not inspiring but certainly gives some hope.

• 107 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM

tads

Possibly a right back, not sure krul has done enough to command the money we’d want for him and same for santon.

• 108 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Jesper
    It’s not how they see themselves, it’s a fact poverty is rife in the northeast, being a couple of minutes from the stadium has little to no impact on the financial implications for the fans to pay for there tickets

Like i said, naive, maybe, deluded, maybe but spoiled and pampered is ludicrous statement and simply not true in any manner, it has nothing to do with living outside the stadium but everything to do with struggles families in the north east have to in some cases just put food on the table let alone buy tickets to see NUFC

• 109 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM

My shopping list for the summer will be a pen and paper so the Liar Liar can sign his resignation letter.

• 110 Tinman // May 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Robert, hahahahaha classic. That would be ideal. I still think the fat man might fire him at end of the season.

• 111 BandB // May 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Sage,

Pardew said as recently as last might that he HOPED for three or four.
    The new MD said as recently as last month it would be one or two over a SEASON.
    What makes you think it will be six?

• 112 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Sage
    Yeah all would certainly add some much needed depth

I think Krul could go, and tbh I think he’s replaceable

Either way think we need more than the 3-4 Pardew has said!!

Tin man
    Of those 3 teams I’d take a punt on Fer Cualker Snodgrass Noone Medel Dejager and Hangeland

• 113 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM

BandB

That was just what I would personally want as a minimum if I was tasked with running the team, not what I expect.

I still think we will buy (or bring in on free/loan) 4 at least, not because ashley was us to progress, but because he has seen how bad this side has done the last 4 months and won’t want to risk losing his TV money and premiership coverage for his SD brand.

Also when the time comes and he decides to sell it’s easier if debt is gone, the club is profit making and in the PL.

I think even ashley knows that if this team went down it wouldn’t bounce back like the last one did as that side had heart, fight and grit coupled with the ability to know how to play at that level.

• 114 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM

BandB

And like you say Charnley said 1-2 per calender year, pardew said 3-4 in the summer, there is clearly no consistent plan between these lot.

• 115 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM

tads…we are not talking, well I am not, about struggliong families but about football and being either happy or unhappy about what’s going on.

Whether you are blue color or white color if you are dissatisfied but don’t want to give up something (looking at the bigger picture here and trying to put it in to perspective) like going to a football game then you do come across a tat spoiled and pampered.

Not everyone is a cab drive away from the club the follow and not far more people have greater issues in that and are willing to give up less.

Maybe you don’t understand what I am getting at or you just disagree, but that should be room for that don’t you think?

• 116 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM

LR32

• 117 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 5:52 PM

*and room for bad spelling and poor grammar :)

• 118 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM

jesper

It also comes down to a lot of people with a long history of being a fan, even more so with generations backing the club they will have heard of far far worse times than this and see this as just another blip, a bit of rough you have to take with the smooth of the KK and sir bobby years.

I just think a lot of people who have been associated with the club for years have a different take.

I’m in my 20’s, not been a keen follower more than 12/15 years as too young before to really be bothered and no real big newcastle fans in the family (all support local, small non league sides more) so this seems the worst time to me, but to others it is far from the worst they have seen.

• 119 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Jesper
    Regardless if your talking about football or finances spoiled and pampered is most certainly not how any one would describe the fan base
    Maybe I’m just not getting your point but the comparison make little or no sense

• 120 Tinman // May 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Krul is so close to being World Class goalkeeper in last 3 or 4 seasons, but he always let’s himself down with lapses of concentration, I don’t know if he will ever make it. And he gets injured a little to often for me, GK should hardly ever be injured.

• 121 Tsunki // May 4, 2014 at 5:58 PM

The comments about Remy showing up at the Arsenal game…., I mean – what did you expect? We would sign him? Come on, he has never wanted to be here, he only came here to increase his stock and maximise his chances of world cup selection.

Cabaye may be the last of the current crop of appreciating players. Maybe Debuchy will raise some good cash, it would be a good move for him to leave now while his game hasnt suffered as much as most of the rest of the squad. Look at the value of players like Sissoko, Krul, Santon, HBA, Marveaux, Tiote…. these players have really taken a backward step under this regime. If i were being scouted by NUFC right now I would think hard about what effect it would have on my career to come here.

• 122 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I saw the Sunday Supplement programme this morning and I thought one of the guys on there gave a decent account of things as did Shearer last night.

It is the hope of a positive attitude to beating the opposition, being aware of a solid tactical system in place for the placers and doing so with some attacking and excitement. A change of manager and/or owner is needed for that to happen.

• 123 Graeme // May 4, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Having given the matter some serious cogitation while preparing and cooking the Sunday Roast I have come to the conclusion that it is not Mike Ashley that is to blame for our current plight and abject performances.

The problem obviously lies with the Mid-wives and Doctors on duty when he was born – they obviously threw the wrong bit away at the delivery!!!

• 124 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM

sorry if misheard about lukaku. point is still no manager should crumble quite so spectacularly over the loss of 1 player

• 125 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 6:02 PM

LR32
    Got the feeling Shearer wanted to say so so much more last night, sadly the Beeb rush through each game, been nice to of seen him on sky this morning

• 126 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM

TS…I suppose if you are a long time supporter and you are not that displeased then you are not one of those I am talking about :)

…I am speaking about people who are displeased and want change, but for whatever reason are not willing to give up anything personal.

I am in my early thirties and have been a supporter since ’95 and followed the club since ’92. There is no explanation to why a Danish kid is a NUFC fan – no connection, no family relations or expectations. Just a love for the club.

• 127 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 6:04 PM

RH
    Yeah the collapse has been unbelievable

I expected a dip but not a complete self destruction

• 128 geordie157 // May 4, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Come on Gateshead!

• 129 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:04 PM

LR

I thought shearer was being very cute on motd.
    while talking about other clubs he was obviously
    inferring about us too.

• 130 dcdick // May 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Pardew Out !!!

Now will people believe me !

• 131 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM

tads…if is doesn’t make any sense to you then lets just stop it there.

• 132 Tsunki // May 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Sage – I think the difference is that the bad times previously have been maked by lack of competence in ownership or managers, lack of money mostly, and what follows usually is lack of real talent in the side. But this owner is a billionaire, with no will but certainly the measn to make us competitive. Also in times past what the team may have lacked in skill it made up for in genuine passion and guts and sheer had work, whereas the fight has been subtracted from this squad, by bad team shae and player selection, awful tactics and poor conditioning. There should be enough skill in this squad to do better, but it lacks heart.

Its painful to see it, but the most reviled players in the squad are those seen as has – been marginalised players like Ameobi and Taylor. Yet they ended up on the score sheet yesterday while the only other scorer was a man in Arsenals shop window. So much for progress.

• 133 croftus5678 // May 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM

ok…so rubbish asside !

as was very wrong timed at a very upset fan at the time (me) when poitned out by a grimsby fan over an arguement about why toon fans are going to watch gateshead play ^^.
    he said “toon fans must be the only fans in the world who think 10th in the prem with no spending on there club is a bad thing” i replied in a not so polite manner however that the point is not the finishing position as i would have accepted top 10 if the club showed they wanted more and actually tried for a higher place instead of selling the better players and actually played attacking footy instead of trying to defend for 80mins of the game (my turn to exagerate).

then i started crying about ashley/joke/pards embarassing us ect ect and made myself look a bit of a div now that i think about it >.< but !!! if we"can" spend the money the club earns and we can play attacking footy then i dont think fans will be too upset if we cant get top 6 as long as we do try our hardest to get it.

• 134 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM

You couldn’t email me a bit of that Sunday roast eh graeme lad. Hank marvin over ‘ere marra

• 135 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 6:08 PM

jesper

I agree then, if you demand change and do nothing you can’t be annoyed when no change happens.

I don’t think boycotting is the only way, but if you want ashley out then at least do something.

• 136 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM

tads

people will have their opinions about ben arfa, marveaux, Cisse, MYM etc, but to continually play Shola, Gosling and Colo instead has achieved what exactly?, other than beating a desperately awful Cardiff in the final home game.

• 137 BandB // May 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Sage,

I don’t know that there has been any evidence of a will to progress the playing side for a while now.
    “Top ten” puts a positive gloss on things. We will finish mid table, sandwiched between Stoke and Palace and with a goal difference not greatly better than Sunderland.
    To use the phrase I used to you before the season started, I think we will be budgeted a bit further down the table next season again, flying a bit more cheaply still, and a bit closer to the trees.
    I am prepared to bet you any money that we make a net profit on the transfer window, and that the squad that starts next season will be numerically weaker.
    I believe we are now operating on exactly the same policy of margins that Sports Direct does and that the quality of the product is simply not an issue any more.
    I am not trying to convince you to agree with me. I admire your optimism. However, I will take some shifting from this view unless I see some hard evidence to the contrary.

• 138 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM

TT

i was going to say sunday roast sounds really inviting!!

• 139 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Norwich just about hang on but have to beat arsenal and need Sunderland to lose

Should be a good final day this season

• 140 croftus5678 // May 4, 2014 at 6:14 PM

tbh this season i’m not renewing my season ticket on purpose untill the very last minute and risk not being able to get one (for the pure fact i wanna scare ashley) and if we dont sign any/many players i’ll consider not renewing it all together and just go to games as and when so they are not guarenteed my money.

if ashley does spend then i’m willing to support him for another year to see what happens but time will tell.

• 141 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 6:14 PM

tsunki

Yeh I have always said my main problem with ashley is not who he buys or sells, who he hires as manager or anything like that but the general feel he has put upon the club and city….people have just lost faith in the club and really don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.

• 142 Graeme // May 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Toon Tang, Rotunda – the Beef is roasted, the roast spuds will be about 20 minutes, the veg will be ready at same time – It smells divine lol

• 143 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM

we need a winger – Player linked Snodgrass
    We need a striker – player linked – Fraizer campbell
    We need a MF – Player linked Colback
    We need a GK – Player linked – Ben Forster

It is beyond depressing.

• 144 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Jesper
    You made it much clearer in your post to sage, it seemed like you were generalising the whole crowd but fair enough if you mean just those who want change

• 145 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM

BandB

I think numbers wise we will be very similar to what we are this year, maybe 1 less possibly so not far off agreeing with you there.

On quality I am unsure, i doubt we will get a player of cabayes class, maybe remy too but surely we cant bring in worse players than shola and de jong as forwards.

I just think that Ashley won’t want a huge gamble as he has us in a state where we can make him money and provide everything he wants.

In reality though I am seeing this based on hope, not expectation.

• 146 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM

HD
    Ben foster? Hadn’t heard that one

• 147 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM

HD

you mean Ben Foster or Frasier Forster?

Both are decent keepers.

• 148 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 6:20 PM

RH, sure does mate, I’m probs nipping out chippy soon enough but ya cant top a proper roast eh hahaa

• 149 Toon Tang // May 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM

graeme ahahaha , be round in 5 mate

• 150 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM

It seems any team that will be relegated this season has fires their manager (guess it didn’t help them)

I hope Norwich will make it, but a still not get the sacking of Hughton! (the timing that is)

• 151 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Fraizer Forster sorry.

• 152 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM

How much money will we make this year for finishing 9th or 10th ? anyone know?

• 153 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM

*fired

• 154 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Loads of fans signed up to the 10 year bonds.

• 155 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM

TS…that was all I was getting at mate ;)

• 156 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:26 PM

tads…maybe I could have made that clearer, but I thought that was implied.

• 157 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM

The heed!

• 158 guvnor // May 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM

3-1

• 159 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Did he buy it for fun? Or did he merely buy it for the cheapest way of getting international advertising in the most direct way. Think how much it would normally cost to advertise on all of the match of the day type programmes across the world!

Now as long as we remain in the league then job done. IT’S NOT ABOUT THE FOOTBALL.

• 160 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Pardew brought on a defender for a MF yesterday.

Why not bring on a Def who has played in MF before, i.e. Yanga Mbiwa.

How did Shola last the whole 90?

No Minutes for Armstrong?

• 161 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Shouldn’t our debt to MA have a huge chunk paid of it or maby after this season all of it……So there for if the debt is paid he should have to pay for the advertising witch would generate A LOT of funds to be spent..

He says he want’s the club to run it’s self but how exactly can it do that when we are not receiving money from even advertising?

• 162 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM

kevy

i am worried that the debt doesn’t appear to be being paid off, leaving us in limbo.

• 163 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Pardew is systematically destroying M’biwa’s career. He isn’t a Right back!! When will Pardew see that?

He captained his club to win the french league and is a french international! Why is he playing awfully every time he comes on as a right back?

• 164 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM

HD

he could have brought on 3 blind mice against cardiff they were so dire, but as always we played with fear!!

• 165 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Surely Mbiwa must have warned cabella not to come here…

• 166 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM

graeme

have you done a yorkshire pud too?

• 167 Shola Pure Legend // May 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Quite ashamed to be a Toon fan this season, the negativity around the stadium and the silence at the ground is a digrace. I’ve been a season ticket holder for 18 years and I cant remember feeling so deppressed as now.
    St James used to be the best atmosphere in the country but for the last 5 year or so every game the stadium turns in to a library.
    Start making noise and make St James intimidating again cos where turning in to a laughing stock.

• 168 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

artful

exactly, whereas in the past we could have got a few more bargain cabaye’s etc they’ll be on to us now and the word about P45DUE will be ”don’t touch us with a barge pole”. Good work Alan..!

• 169 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I contacted them asking but they probably won’t give out any answers.

• 170 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Kevy
    Strangely the debt doesn’t seem to be reducing at all!

• 171 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

shola

so ask yourself why keep going and perpetuating the misery.

• 172 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 6:51 PM

@Tads then where is our funds going?

Like this year we didn’t sign a player. We sold Cabaye for 20m we are finishing in 9th or 10th + there is suppost to be big pay outs or something with this new BT deal.

• 173 Big Pappa Cissé // May 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Still don’t understand why Arsenal want Remy .

Yes he is a great player and would get in every team outside the top 4 but Arsenal need a Diego Costa type player who is world class . They already have Giroud & Podolski as backup .

I would be disappointed if I was an Arsenal fan and we were looking to sign Remy . Which is do depressing as he is our best player hands down .

• 174 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM

TS or Anyone really

I need a lift up, Can someone please tell me that pardew will be fired.

I do Not care who comes in.

• 175 tequilamag // May 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

HD ok he will def be fired but Shola will be player manager

• 176 Shola Pure Legend // May 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I hate Ashley, Pardew and know we should be doing better but I STILL get behind and be vocal for my team.
    1000’s every home game for the last few year just sit in complete silence and moan constantly its a joke. By far better going to away games with the proper hardcore toon fans.

• 177 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I think there’ll be a lot of players leaving this summer.

Debuchy
    Shola
    Remy
    De Jong (lol)
    maybe Cisse
    Colo?
    Jonas?

I hope Gosling will be, the idea that Pardew has played him as Cabaye’s replacement is unbelievable. Not that he had anyone else I suppose. Except Marveaux. Or Ben Arfa. But they’re a bit “football-ey” for him I suppose.

And then we’ll sign Shefki Kuqi and Jenas on loan…..

• 178 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

John Dykes asked Roberto Di matteo if we will see him working any time soon?

His Reply

Yes, It is getting interesting.

• 179 toon kk // May 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Shola
    SJP is quiet because people are fed up, MA is ripping the heart out of the club, I’m sure If there was some ambition and a bit more quality on the pitch everyone would become more vocal again.

• 180 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM

HD…I think you need to brace yourself for Parsnip still being here come January! And don’t count on a big transfer kiddy either!

…sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

• 181 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM

TM

Kill Me now. Now.

• 182 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

*come September :) (ups)

• 183 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Captain

If Pardew is not sacked I would not care for Newcastle anymore

• 184 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Kevy
    I’d imagine the funds have gone into that special account know as the old back pocket of Mikey’s jeans!

• 185 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

HD…do you know the lyrics for “Somebody Kill Me” by Adam Sandler? ;)

“Oh somebody kill me please,
    somebody kill me plee-ase,
    I’m on my knees,
    pretty pretty please kill me.

I want to die.
    Put a bullet in my head.”

• 186 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM

HD…we all feel like that sometimes

• 187 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Captain

I do now.

• 188 Shola Pure Legend // May 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

The season we finished 5th the atmosphere was still abysmal 90% of the games. Its shit going to places like Southampton who have 20000 less at there games but make a lot more noise. I’ve spoke to many visiting fans and there shocked at how quite St James is.

• 189 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

HD…just thought it just fitting…for the mood not the other way of course :)

• 190 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Captian

I have decided, enough is enough.

Other things in life too.

• 191 toon kk // May 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Shola
    again down to MA.
    We’ve gone through a hell of alot since he took over, bound to have a affect.

• 192 Fostino // May 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

a problem with newcastle at the moment is we have no game plan..only hope remy will score..what exactly is pardews blueprint

• 193 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

RH,

I think we will move out of france now. We have spoilt our reputation there.
    I cant see Sissoko Mbiwa Remy Debuchy Obertan Marveaux BenArfa Ba etc singing our praises.

British players would be familiar with our plans of mediocrity.
    Spanish players no chance in hell.

That leaves the rest of the world…

P.S. Im talking about good players..

• 194 Graeme // May 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Rotunda @ 166. How could I do roast beef, roast spuds, cabbage & beans and not do Yorky puds!!

It was superb – even mother was impressed lol

• 195 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM

@Fostino – it’s been like that for years. “Defend and hope that Cisse/ Ben Arfa/ Ba/ Remy do something special”.

No journalists ever ask directly “What were you trying to do today?” and manager’s never explain tactics. It’s always cliches and morale talk.

Why float up corners rather than whip them in? Why have NO attacking midfielders? Why is Ben Arfa outcast? Where the hell is all the money? Was Kinnear a PR ploy to blame no money being spent on? etc.

It’s a mess.

• 196 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Toonarmydownsouth and Rotonda. Yes indeed.

Shearer looked like he could say an awful lot more an get a lot angrier on the whole thing. Good that he can see it as well, but he will watch us every game. Other ‘experts’ don’t and just see the points and Pardew’s synopsis lies.

• 197 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Sorry for double post.

People say Pardew got us playing great football in that 5th season.
    There has been one small period of a few months in that season where I thought we were playing good football and that was when we played 4-3-3 after Cisse was bought.

Then he stopped playing 4-3-3 and it was pathetically disjointed again.

Now he’s dropped Ben Arfa and Marveaux and we don’t play a single player with any creativity.

• 198 wolfshead@toon // May 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM

jesper

as am i i always read your posts as you are one of the few whos needle isnt stuck on a record ;-)

• 199 Big Pappa Cissé // May 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM

If we played attacking football SJP would be rocking .

• 200 Thump // May 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Pardew brought on a defender for a MF yesterday.

Why not bring on a Def who has played in MF before, i.e. Yanga Mbiwa.

He didn’t play a defender in midfield, he played a 3 man defence to hold onto the lead.

• 201 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

HD…there sure is! I am spending more time with my family and feeling less stressful since I started boycutting the games!

…I know some think it’s a small sacrifice, but I am not that lucky to be a cab drive away from SJP. If I were the closest I would get would be to protest outside the Newcastle sign.

I wouldn’t set my feet in there under this management even if someone gave me his season ticket.

• 202 wolfshead@toon // May 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

dodger

do you know where we can get good players for 3mill tops other than france

• 203 Fostino // May 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM

its crazy…especially since cabaye has left..the lack of a game plan. really need a few new faces the summer ti get excited by newcastle again

• 204 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Wolfs…I just love your little innuendos ;)

…so refreshing!

• 205 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

artful…we did have some good years scouting France before we burned our bridges ;)

• 206 Fostino // May 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

would love to see marv get a chance..play him in goslings position

• 207 Fostino // May 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM

prob see the likes of mcmanaman, snodgrass, puncheon, caulker, bony, ashley williams, realistically these kinda payers are the type that might come..not bad players either

• 208 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Thump

That’s why he was virtually on goal line?

• 209 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Actually, lets just do this, what is the player and what type of player is he- shows what team he played against the worst team in the league.

Krul- Great keeper but hoofs a lot.
    Debuchy – Good attacking full back but not that fast.
    Colo – Used to be great, been poor this year.
    Williamson – Been quite good this year but AWFUL passing- lumps it a lot.
    Dummett – just starting but doesn’t look up to it- slow, technically bad, poor passer, decent tackler.
    Tiote- Defensive mid. SHOULD tackle and give it someone who can pass- that’s when he’s at his best. When he tries difficult passes things go wrong.
    Anita – tick tock metronome defensive mid. sideways passer.
    Sissoko – Box to box mid who is being played out wide. Not a winger, could be our version of Yaya potentially.
    Gouffran – workhorse winger adjusted from low scoring striker. Good at tracking back. Not gonna do something special out of nothing.
    Remy – our best player now, quick striker who is a bit selfish as he is here to advertise himself.
    Shola – target man, good to lump it to. Not much else. …. It’s Shola.

How is that team going to attack the worst team in the league?

• 210 Himanshu Dhingra // May 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Biggest derby match in all of football!

• 211 santonthenewmaldini // May 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I just really worry who the hell we are going to sign in the summer even if Ashley properly backs Pardew with money our reputation with a lot of players must be in tatters if run properly we could have became the French peoples 2nd team but I feel we have screwed that up royally so instead of having our pick of Cabella etc we will need to go for really young players from France or poorer quality standard of player who just join us for more money than they get over in France !

We wont pay the going rate for Spanish, German or English players of a good standard and players from the Dutch/Italian leagues dont always handle the premier league too well

Some players that we have been linked with could be decent squad players but none are Remy/Cabaye material :

Shelvey – Is actually a quality player and is British but can imagine Swansea wanting 10 million for him no chance for that

Colback – Not really sure where he would play to be honest although any time I have watched him on the left wing he looks decent so that might be the plan for a hard working direct winger on a free

Snodgrass – Actually a pretty decent winger not sure what the fee would be

If we were too sign those 3 players AND say :

Gomis

Cabella

Siem De Jong

Rhodes / Ba

Would give us the strength in depth we desire but unfortunately cant see us signing any players like that

• 212 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Pardew stumbled on that 433 and we played the style of football which we should be playing most weeks. Posters like myself had been calling for that same 433 for months before it was played. 6 games later or whatever, it was dumped.
    Back to containing.

• 213 Marty-Toon // May 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

So the most of us want Ashley out but he can’t sell as no one wants to buy.
    We want him to invest but he just ends up selling the players that are of quality.
    He probably will invest this summer then sell a couple of big players and invest again.
    What manager in their right mind would want to come to that?
    Was nice to see several thousand leave the ground yesterday and we made ourselves be taken seriously but really what’s gonna change?
    We can’t just stand there and do nothing so this was a good start.
    It’s really hard to know what will happen in the near or distant future.

• 214 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

@Laurent – I know, loads of us had wanted that 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa on the right but he only did it because he couldn’t work out how to keep Ba happy as he didn’t want to go 4-4-2. Then he went 4-4-2….

• 215 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I know, gonufc. Very poor again for Pardew especially as Ba was leaving anyway.

• 216 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

You don’t play 4-3-3 all the time because once the opponents know what your doing it’s very very easy to sus out…All they hada do is play 4-5-1 and your virtually beat.

Now there is nothing stopping a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-1-2 With either 1 or 2 cdm’s covering the defense and a rw and lw and cam or 3 cams and the striker.

• 217 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Also, Pardew was talking last week about getting youth through…

He is destroying all our young prospects!
    Where the hell is Bigirimana?
    What happened to Vuckic/ Abeid/ Campbell/ Streete etc.
    He plays them for 3 games then casts them out on loan never to return…..
    Good luck in your career on loan to St Mirren Armstrong….

• 218 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Graeme

I tried making a yorkshire pud the other week but it was disappointing. Apparently I needed to get the baking tin a lot hotter ! Ah well next time.

• 219 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM

@Kevy – right, 4-3-3 is more “suss outtable” than other formations?! That’s absurd.
    Not that Madrid/ Barcelona etc. use 4-3-3 every week or anything…….

• 220 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM

kevy

For me the formation is of little importance, all sorts of teams play good football using different formations.

What you need is skill and hard work.

You need players, either strikers running in behind or midfielders bursting past the to stretch the opposition and create room for you to play in front of them, as well as finding the runs in behind.

You also need a team who all know there roles, they know when they should attack and support the forwards but also they all know they must cover certain areas at times, just whatever the team needs.

We have the players to do this, maybe not consistently enough to be a top 4 team, but certainly to be like southampton, 5 or so points better off but with more exciting football.

• 221 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

gonufc

Bigi disappeared half way through last year and hasn’t made the first team since i don’t think. He is miles ahead of gosling in my opinion and always looks good when I see him in the youth games.

Think injury hasn’t helped him but at the same time he hasn’t been given enough of a chance.

• 222 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

@Gonufc do you think we have the quality of Madrid or Barca?

5 in midfield for even Cardiff would out do our 3 any day of the week. There would be far to much space in the middle.

4-3-3 is basically for counter attacking. If it’s that absurd why do you think we have not been playing it.

Also when playing it you need fast fullbacks to push up into the Middle when needed.

• 223 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

@Kevy – 4-2-3-1 often plays out the same as 4-3-3, it is just easier to adapt between that and 4-4-1-1.

But how one formation is easier to “work out” than another I can’t get. If you train the players to understand their roles well and follow the jobs set anything could work!

• 224 Transfer Sage // May 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

gonufc

Is sammy amebi injured? he hasn’t been fantastic but came in a few gams early feb and looked a decent threat, he has totally gone now too.

if injured fair enough though

• 225 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // May 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM

It’s pretty rare that a team playing 4-3-3 leaves all 3 by the half way line when defending, of course we don’t have the players they do but that was hardly the point.

If I’d said 4-5-1 would you have cared? Not exactly a huge difference really.

• 226 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM

LR32
    Normally the media coverage of pundits towards us is ridiculous, little to no thought goes in to the sh1te that normally pours out of them, most the commentators don’t even normally know who are players are!

However credit where it’s due most the media outlets covered it very professionally and sympathetically
    Shearer looked as if he was desperately refraining from calling Mike Ashley a gobsh1te when he was speaking about him and both Jamie Redknapp (who i can’t stand tbh) and Charlie Nicholas fully understood why fans were walking out and backed there frustrations saying from a ex players point of view Newcastle used to be one if the first fixtures they would mark on the calendar as it was simply one if the best places you could go and play solely down to the goosebumps they got of the atmosphere and knowing full well the next 90 minutes was going to be an absolute battle
    They all conceded that what is currently going on is simply not good enough and the fans and the club deserve much better than the board simply aiming to stay in the league and cash in on the players

• 227 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Yea but when your playing either 4-2-3-1 as Chelsea are abusing you have the cover you need they use Matic and ramires then have cover on the left with willian and right with schurrle then Cam striker….4-1-2-1-2 Has the Cdm for cover then 2 cm’s one in the right middle and left middle then the cam striker. Ie Southampton.

When you just play 4-3-3 it allows the opponent’s wingers to pritty much tear you apart.

Yes I would risk it and play attacking footy but I always here people on here talking about how we did it with benny against west brom or whatever but in reality it’s not all that smart or good. It can either pay off or rattle you.

• 228 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM

There’s no doubt Ba left, Cisse centre and Ben Arfa right did work really well for those 6 games when Ben Arfa was finally, finally given a game ahead of Obertan and Raylor!

We have never tried Remy left, Cisse centre and Ben Arfa right, or Marv left, Remy centre and Ben Arfa right.

• 229 Rotonda heights // May 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

433 can morph into 451 very easily when you don’t have the ball.

• 230 kevymartins // May 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM

@RH I suppose it can but not when all your players on the pitch are attacking…Benny can’t defend…Remy can’t defend..Cisse or Marv can’t defend.

It’s like saying yous want attacking football why not just play 3-5-2 works wonders for Hull got them to the cup final…And that’s Martinez formation he seems to love that from swansea to Everton.

• 231 toonarmydownsouth // May 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Did anyone else see Stevie Taylor getting told to f**k off by nearly every fan in the East stand after he scored?
    Was he giving some lip or were people just p1ssed off?

• 232 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Kevy, you don’t always play the same floated ball to Williamson, but Pardew does to this day.

• 233 Thump // May 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

@HD: You know as well as I do that Saylor gets forward for every corner. He started playing football as a forward and is still the best chance of a goal from a corner (from the backline, I mean)

• 234 theartfuldodger // May 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Wolfshead…

You can get good players for 3mil in the continent of Ashleyland…country Pardewland…

Im sorry, I simply cannot see us making any good signings in summer..
    Unless you think Shelvey is a good signing..

I strongly suspect we are going to go for grafters this time around..Players who are good enough for 10th or so…no better no worse…

• 235 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Tads, well thats not so bad if a few of them have their eyes open about it.

• 236 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Formations should be used to enhance tactics for a certain way of playing, therefore they should be interchangeable.

The problem is when the players have no system of how to play in the first place. It is one of our many issues and gripes I have.

• 237 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM

attacking players that cant defend
    none of our attacking players do it really and I don’t understand it, its not about running back 30 yds and sliding in
    when we attack we don’t do it as a team normally its a lone person so when a benny remy marv lose the ball there is no1 there pressure the opposition if we commited more to the attack we could defend from the front pressure the ball and win it back we don’t.
    attacking players can defend if used the right way

ldj in his first couple of games was doing this and we nearly scored from it
    the season we finished 5h we pressured the ball and was always first to the 50 50s

we so defensive now we have to many men behind the ball attacking players look poor cos of no support

• 238 Thump // May 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM

@beermonkey: That’s the problem with Pardew’s tactics. It’s push up as a squad, defend as a squad. The problem is, he wants our forwards to defend like defenders, exactly as you say. There’s no putting pressure on the ball, squeezing the pitch – nothing. Our attacking is basically down to a quick counter attack and hoping to god that Sissoko has learned to pass or gets it in, or at least on target.

• 239 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM

thump

hull I think we scored a couple of team goals that’s all I can remember
    that and our woefull set piece taking

we don’t really get the basics right

• 240 tynesidetommo // May 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Welsh get yer bus pass out – the number 9 to Planet Zog is due. I gave up my season ticket in protest at phantom bids the other year so I have the right to give my view. I might bit prattle on like you and the other regulars. but that diesb’t invalidate my views.
    What form did your protest take?

• 241 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Jamie Redknapp was talking about Hazard and his backtracking today. Similar things to Ben Arfa.

As much as you try to, some players just won’t do it as well as others. Doesn’t mean their career should be over over and are banished to the reserves.

Cassano has been walking round the pitch for years. As has Berbatov. Both still very good players because of what they CAN do.

• 242 tynesidetommo // May 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM

not prattle etc

• 243 Laurent Robert 32 // May 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Beer, I agree. Used the right way.

• 244 toon22 // May 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Myself im sick to the back teeth of “pundits” claiming the Newcastle crowd had high expectations.
    Havent won anything for 40+ years and as it stands probably wont for another 40.
    Expecting your team to try and win games and even achieve this dizzy heights of the 4th round in any cup is way beyond what people should expect.
    We should be happy with our policy of non competitiveness.

• 245 toon22 // May 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM

We simply cant match teams like Hull and Wigan etc.

We should accept bigger teams will progress.

• 246 USAunitedfan // May 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM

In page 3604 it states that Ashely was planning to invest a total of 700 millon the club. What a joke! Maybe thats why he is laughing in the picture.

• 247 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM

toon22

teams like wigan Birmingham Swansea have proved now that trophies for the teams in 6th to 20th have a real chance
    I really don’t think we have high expectations I don’t think we will challenge for the league but a decent league position and a couple of good cup runs is not to much to ask is it

the frustration this season is not down to 9th or 10th its the manner in which we have gotten there

• 248 BDin9 // May 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM

The turning point for me was the cup game against Cardiff . I was still for Pardew until then. I thought he was doing a decent job in difficult circumstances. He threw the cup for premier league . Unacceptable. As for yesterday How bad can it get when you’re sitting in the stands and the conversation going around you is a lady talking about how they found a stray dog that morning. I saw the pictures on her phone by the way. This was during the match. This
    Is the Gallowgate for Foxx sake

• 249 Tayls // May 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

And some happier news, Gateshead are off to Wembley! Probably the only ever reason us as Newcastle fans will ever get to go there LOL!

• 250 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM

tayls

have we any1 onloan at gateshead

• 251 Tayls // May 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I dont think so mate. We used to have a couple lads down there, but I don’t think we have any at the moment.

• 252 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

240tynesidetommo

Is it only now you responding to my comment which I made hours ago god you are slow just as well you are not a car you be like 0-60 in three weeks

• 253 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

tayls

shame we have always had 1 or 2 down there

• 254 Taking the Papiss // May 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM

All those people that think that the walkout was a success, please answer me this – if you are a potential owner how would this protest have attracted you to the club? Taking our emotion out, looking in from outside, do you think a potential owner may think that for a club that finished 16th last year, 9th this year is a success and progress? If so do you maybe think any omer is going to not want anything to do with us because if we don’t get our way we will protest?

• 255 Graeme // May 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

If we, as a club, were serious about youth development, we should have players out on loan to Gateshead, Ashington, Blythe, Whitley Bay, Carlisle etc etc.

It helps out our lower league neighbours and gets invaluable experience for our younguns. It used to work that way, many years ago and no idea what it doesnt happen today!! It could be a win-win situation for all concerned!!!

• 256 Graeme // May 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Taking the piss – it was never intended to attract a new buyer, it was intended to show the current idiots in charge that an aweful lot of fans are thoroughly pissed off with the way he miss-manages the playing side of NUFC. Nothing more, nothing less. It worked.

• 257 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Graeme

its strange we don’t use those clubs there also close enough that they can return to the club to train with us so we can assess them I don’t know why streete and some of the others aren’t out there

or we as a club could invite them to use our facilitys once in a while for training so we can assess our players

• 258 welshgeordie9 // May 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Like I said earlier today walkout protests should have started in January, what’s the point of doing it in last home game of the season

• 259 Tayls // May 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Yeah we should really have some of the younger lads in that Gateshead side, they’re clearly doing something right down there.

In terms of management, they (MA + cronies) will see this season as a massive success. They finished top 10, and will have the money that comes with that and also sold a player for a cool £17m+ profit. All in all, they have probably earned more money than you would should you have solely won the league. Unfortunatley for us fans, this is the reality of how our club will be used and abused.

Next season they will do exactly the same thing as they have for the past 3 seasons. Build a solid team around a talent who will stand out. Sell this talent for an inflated price in January. Hold on to premier league status by clawing at whatever measly draws and fluky wins we can get after January, finishing the season with lots and lots of money.

We need this c#nt out.

• 260 Tayls // May 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM

BTW whatever happened to that 5 year plan of winning the league?

• 261 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM

how do welsh

atleast they have started now and I would imagine they will grow if its done again

• 262 Graeme // May 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Tayls – we won it under Hughton – in the fizzy pop league.

• 263 beermonkey // May 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM

tayls

I tend to agree with you on what will happen for the next few years
    but part of me wants to cling to what they said when they said the club could keep and spend what it generates
    as this is the first year significant profit will be made we don’t know (although really we do)

saying that we had 10 mill in the bank this year and in dire need of a striker we had been tracking bony for while and let go to Swansea without even bidding on him

• 264 jimmysmith // May 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I suppose Ashley, Pardew, and Carr will try to put together a side and squad for next season that will be an improvement on the one that started this one. I doubt the protests will have changed that, or on the other hand made them more capable of delivering it, it may have increased the urgency surrounding it though.

What remains most odd is the lack of vision statement leading to this anxiety and unrest. Certainly does create a sense of them possibly/probably having an unspoken and mischievous agenda. I personally think Ashley can’t be bothered with the trouble of defending his position publically, but does have better intentions than we might imagine, although equally not as good as we’d hope.

One thing is at least clear, he can’t hope to get away with a season like this and the fans ARE capable of showing discontent en masse. I think the fan base will be emboldened by what’s happened and that’s a very good thing if we are to stand a chance of keeping the bastards honest.

• 265 Tayls // May 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM

beermonkey, if only that were the case my friend. If we are lucky, maybe they will invest, it’s actually likely they will. Some of Carr’s gems will come in from the continent in summer and like I say, we will have a solid team. Then one of these gems will sparkle that little bit more than the others. This will cause him to be sold for a nice tidy profit in January, only for the vicious cycle to continue.

LOL, yes this is true Graeme. I want Keegan back, loved how he used to set a team up to play. I remember he had Jonas being creative! Imagine what he could do with HBA.

• 266 jimmysmith // May 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Also, that Cabaye sale probably was a good bit of business, if they felt they couldn’t keep him or stand in his way and realised he would be gone for less in the off season anyway. They took a chance in not replacing him because they weren’t happy with the deals or couldn’t get them over the line for whatever reason and got caught get out by injuries and a manager whose limitations were exposed. It was a strange situation and errors of judgement and in managing risk were clearly made, but that doesn’t mean we have to throw the baby out with the bath water and I think the protest and result and most importantly the end of the season has us far better placed now than a week ago. Ashley does need to invest though, if not, the fans need to kick off.

previous post: Will Pardew Have Trouble Recovering From Incredible Abuse?

next post: Pardew – There Are Problems And We Will Put Them Right